[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Encounter Input

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Frost-Giant-1E-full.png (217KB, 450x616px) Image search: [Google]
Frost-Giant-1E-full.png
217KB, 450x616px
Hey guys, I don't ever post here, but I need some input on how to handle an encounter I am devising for an AD&D adventure I'm running.

So basically the party has fought through this series of caverns infested by frost giants and their lackys in search of this noble turned bad, who is aligned with the giants. Basically the time has come to close this part of the adventure and I want to end it in some grand sort of way.

I was thinking of having a frost giant boss of sorts riding some sort of massive beast. I've been toying with a white dragon, although the party already cleared an encounter involving a giant with two juveniles as pets, so I don't wanna overkill the idea. I was also toying with a wyvern or maybe a roc (something else comparably large and deadly)

Also I was thinking of having the fight start in a throne room and move to a snowy plain.

Ideas? Recommendations?
>>
>>54518691
Perhaps some remorhaz that he's beaten into submission, or the frost giant king has a frost giant runecaster and shaman backing him up. That, and he has class levels. That's a solid way to make him way stronger, is if he has weapon specialization and d10 instead of d8 HD. Magical backup is great as well. Perhaps lots of little ice trolls or ogres serving as foot soldiers and fodder?
>>
>>54518691
Can't go wrong with Frost Giant mounted on giant woolly mammoth. It can not fly and has no breath weapon per say but maybe it is a magic mammoth with an ability similar cone of cold out the snout. It's still a big beast with lots of hit die and a trample attack of some kind. Frost Giant chieftain can still be tossing javelins of lightning from atop his mount. Maybe evil noble is also on a little platform on the back of the beast doing whatever he does to add spice to the encounter (healing, shooting a crossbow, just cursing the heroes in general or whatever)
>>
>>54518768
>>54518803
A shaman or some magical backup is actually something I never thought of. I'll definitely incorporate that, good idea thanks guys.

>>54518768
Do you think making his domain almost like a court would be overpowered? I mean I could always have the party fight through waves or something like that and not all at once. The level range of the PCs are like 7-11 so they can handle most stuff I think.

>>54518803
Mammoth is actually an awesome idea and would work well in a large open area like I was planning. Also what about making the giant a recurring villain? The next leg was going to be set in an ancient dwarven ruin where a powerful magic forge supposedly resides. I was planning on having the giants seeking it out and perverting its power some how.
>>
>>54518916
As long as the Frost Giant survives, but be prepared for him to get killed. Just have his wife take over the plot if he ends up eating it.

Probably splitting hairs and it all depends on your setting but Frost Giants are not known for caring about the creation of magic items but that is the purview of Fire Giants. Fire Giants make the weapons that Frost Giants use, so maybe that ancient dwarven forge was an ancient Giant tool that the Fire Giants want to reclaim and they hire the Frost Giants as some muscle offering new weapons and armor and the promise of enchanted gear if the forge is reclaimed. But that is just an idea.
>>
>>54518916
You could give him a Blink Wooly Mammoth. Check lomion, they exist! That would allow him to blink around the field (with a special harness that keeps him mounted during the blink) to wreak havoc, but also give him a way to try and escape should things go sour.
You should totally make it a court, too, the shaman and runecaster are his advisors, and maybe there's a couple 'courtier' frost giant civilians, as well as some household guards in quality arms and armor. Then there's dozens of servant/slave ogres, some dire wolf hunting hounds, and possibly an ambassador (the evil noble?) or observer from a rival clan.
>>
>>54519087
That's a killer setup. Makes much more sense in the scheme of things. I suppose I could then place a fire giant emissary somewhere in the adventure to sort of bridge the logical gap between the current objective and the next one?
>>
>>54519224
Not a bad idea. Have you read Against the Giants? It's a classic 3 part module that goes through first a Hill giant, then frost then fire giant strongholds. You might be able to pull some ideas from it about how you want to set things up, and possibly some neat situations that could keep it from being a bloodbath: even for levels 7-11 giants are fucking tough and can pulverize you.
>>
>>54519224
sounds great, add a little mix up to the encounter table and make your players wonder what is going on. How deep does this rabbit hole go with the traitorous noble, frost giants AND fire giants.
>>
>>54519247
Yes actually I own an original press. And I guess that's what I'm struggling with. I've been placing the giants sparingly just so that they don't completely destroy the party. (There have already been a few close calls) I've been making the giant encounters more of big fights involving one or two powerful giants with lackys (ie: polar bears, wolves, dragons, orcs/gnolls/ogres etc.) for a grand and interesting feel. It's tough for a medium sized and medium to high lvled party to take on more than a few giants at a time.
>>
>>54519278
Exactly. At that point I'll find a logical end to this part of the encounter and work on writing the second part. All so it logically fits. Thanks for the feedback m8.
>>
>>54519331
Have reasons for there to be more giants, but they are distracted. The big feast in the Hill Giant steading is an example: lots of giants are drunk or otherwise occupied. Frost giants are durable fuckers, so 1-2 of them can be extremely dangerous. If you use more, you should give the party some defensive advantages like lots of giant-sized furniture to use as cover, 'dire mouseholes' to duck into or use as means of travel through the place, or slaves to free and lead in a rebellion (a horde of ogres would be quite a boon in attacking the place).
>>
>>54519214
The court is definitely something I will do. Excellent call too with the wolves. The court could surround the party and sick a dozen or so wolves, confident no other fighting will have to be done. From there all hell can break loose and I suppose I'll just let the party handle it however they want.

And I'm not sure I will add the blinking mammoth lol tho I will look up Iomion!
>>
>>54519385
http://www.lomion.de/cmm/_index.php

That's pretty much THE resource for AD&D monsters. Has everything but some very specific named monsters from things like Birthright or Ravenloft.
>>
>>54519369
At the beginning of the adventure, as the party tracked the noble into the wastes, they were directed to the frost giants home by the local dwarven clan. I had the party hide near the entrance as a band of "creatures" marched from the cave's mouth and out into the snow. THis could be the majority of the giants and slaves scouting the forge for the fire giants. THis would lend to the fact that only a few were left back at home base to protect and serve the lord.
>>
>>54519414
Awesome! Thanks man!
>>
File: 1500994427136.png (995KB, 1046x895px) Image search: [Google]
1500994427136.png
995KB, 1046x895px
>>54518691
Riding a mammoth?
Once I fought a boss in a throne room filled with an area of silence and a giant (10km high) ice column at the center.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.