[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what do the Tau think about the Imperiums approach to technology?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 29

File: Gue'la_Prisoner.jpg (56KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Gue'la_Prisoner.jpg
56KB, 800x600px
So what do the Tau think about the Imperiums approach to technology?
>>
File: 1464701611877.png (3MB, 1756x810px) Image search: [Google]
1464701611877.png
3MB, 1756x810px
>>54512687
I dispatched a Culexus to ask but he's not back yet.
>>
>>54512687
Backwards and laughable, I'm sure. But the Tau likely know very well that the Imperium's lost more knowledge than they've(the Tau) ever known.
>>
>>54512687

They laugh and scorn at the gargoyles and holy scripture, until they realize protection against evil spirits is actually a mandatory feature.
>>
Recent novel had them recover a missile with some crippled servitor like thing groaning inside
Needless to say they get to play the straightman to IoM barbarism
>>
File: 1499919333504.png (2MB, 949x942px) Image search: [Google]
1499919333504.png
2MB, 949x942px
>>54512687
average Tau equipment is leagues above what average imperial gets

for example take a guardsman vs a fire warrior. Ain't even a contest.

However, when you get to high tier stuff, Tau can't even begin to comprehend the level that some human tech is on. Take warp travel. Tau STILL dont know how to navigate the warp, let alone understand some of the really crazy bionics, age rejuvenation, virus weapons, computer viruses, titans, voidcraft, and countless other weapons the Imperium has access to. Granted it's not a fair comparison since the Imperium doesn't really know how they work either, but it still counts.

It's honestly probably like how we view orks. Most of their stuff is laughably bad, but then some asshole mek with a personal forcefield projector and a gun that rips holes is the fabric of space and time to warp snotlings (or himself) into you shows up and all your last thought is is "how the fuck do these morons have access to this?"
>>
>>54512687
Play fire warrior, they sort of just think the Imperium are a semi-primitive numberless hoard and work with what they get from the few heated diplomatic meetings they have. The Interex should've survived and joined them already, they'd be so relevant at that point.
>>
>>54513532
>It's honestly probably like how we view orks.
That's a good comparison
>>
>>54513532
I wonder how they view the Admech? So far in a straight fight the Skitarii have completely taken the Tau apart in Mont'ka, but they're so different in look and usually mission than the normal Guard and Marines I wonder if they think they're some kind of allied race who have better tech rather than just different humans.
>>
>>54513608

Well really the Tau castes are closely related subspecies... they probably think the AdMech are a different "caste" of human.
>>
>>54513633
True. Probably don't know what to make of them, though. On one hand, they're dangerously competent warriors with plenty of Clarke's Third Law gear, and are clearly good at building shit. On the other hand, and I say this as a massive Admech fanboy, they're completely and utterly retarded half the time, and clearly don't give even a perfunctory fuck about their allies or their objectives.
>>
>>54513608
>>54513633
>>54514250
Isn't the upcoming Forge World book going to be about a Tau vs AdMech war set on the Forge World of Cyraxis, where the AdMech respond to the Xenos invasion by pulling out all of the good shit they've got stashed away?
>>
>>54513608
it likely depends what their fighting, they would understand the principles on which vanguard work for example but infiltrators would be some incomprehensible pain magic to them

that's actually a big thing now I think on it, they'd understand a lot of the rank and file but as soon as the admech break out the serious toys they'd be totally lost
>>
>>54512687
>"Hur hur hubdur lookit these toaster worshipping savages."
>"Wait why is the toaster trying to kill me all of a sudden oh fuck oh fuck you're telling me demons are real WHAT THE FUCK I THOUGHT THIS WAS HARD SCI-FI NOT SOFT SHIT!"
>>
>>54514860
Tau earth cast research teams discovered daemons on some mission through something and decided to hold off on warp research because of it.

>Tau btfos your meme.
>>
>>54515813
Was this before or after they thought they killed Slaanesh instead of some fucking nobody leader of a Chaos warband?
>>
>>54514860

Its fucking embarrassing how many 40kids dont know the lore well enough to know that in any situation where demon possession is even possible, the warp is already on your doorstep anyway. Objects need to be exposed to the warp, either directly or through dark rituals, for demonic possession to be a thing. It doesnt just happen at random for shits and giggles.
>>
>>54515952
Read the RPG books. It's entirely possible for a devices to form a daemonic rune and trigger a daemonic possession even without anyone deliberately performing rituals to weaken the barrier between the materium and the immaterium.

They've got a stat-block in Creatures Anathema: the Logi Daemonis.
>>
>>54512687
Who cares they're a niche blueberry weeb faction.
>>
>Tau develop Imperium level tech, but with none of the space magic bullshit and superstition that comes with it
What happens?
>>
File: 1499733256365.jpg (284KB, 1024x1443px) Image search: [Google]
1499733256365.jpg
284KB, 1024x1443px
>>54517011
>niche blueberry weeb faction
That's exactly why people care thou
>>
>>54518673
Their AI finally get smart enough to rebel, Tau of Iron leave the Empire a shadow of its former self.
>>
>>54518673
They get horribly raped by Chaos corruption and/or Man of Iron rebellion, since the "magic bullshit and superstition" is actually rather important. See: Land Raider fighting sans crew, literally all Titans ever mindraping pilots they dislike and the STC in Gaunts Ghosts.
>>
>>54518673
Then slaanesh consumes them all because they became too mary sue and perfect without any character or character flaws, just like the eldar.
>>
>>54518844
Good old Prince Slaanesh, keeping 40K honest.
>>
>>54518754
Aren't machine spirits just a combination of Ad Mech superstition and denial?
>Nah, there aren't any shackled A.I. is this Land Raider or Titan that cause them to act on their own occasionally... Machine Spirits Bro!
>>
>>54512687
What approach to technology?
>>
>>54516569
>Read the RPG books
Not cannon and made by another company that do not have GW IP anymore
>>
>>54512687
>Wouldn't it be easier to just push the 'on' button instead of lighting incense first?
>>
>>54519965
FFG did way better with the fluff than geedubs.
>>
>>54520723
Yup
>>
>>54519245
There's probably enough people who believe in machine spirits for it to have some truth, via the warp. I mean, the AdMech ARE a religion and do dabble in warp-tech on occasion.

Besides that weirdness their higher level thinking machines are just organic brain servitors with a lot of specialized processing bionic modules jammed into the frontal cortex (in which case the nominal 'human soul' attached literally does serve as a 'machine spirit'.)
>>
File: Iron Warriors Bikers.jpg (55KB, 526x390px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Warriors Bikers.jpg
55KB, 526x390px
>>54513532
>BECOZ RED WUNZ GO FASTA

I see what you did there, GW.
>>
>>54515813
They discovered it, sure. But how much of that knowledge is actually disseminated through the ranks? And how much do they actually know?

IIRC they just know that daemons are a "thing," but as a race with a negligible (but still existent) psychic presence they simply cannot comprehend what the Warp actually IS, and by extension how and what Daemons are.
>>
>>54519245
Machine Spirits are "natural" programs that occur as a result of certain designs and technological constructs. Simple things usually have tiny, if any, Machine Spirit, but the more complex you get the more "real" a Machine Spirit gets. Things like Titans and starships are virtually sentient, and even battle tanks and the like have very noticeable personalities and objectively repair more effectively when making prayers and performing "sacred" rituals while performing maintenance as opposed to maintenance alone.

A crucial aspect of most machine-spirits though is that they largely cannot operate without a human pilot (with some notable exceptions). Things that use a MIU can literally "possess" pilots, like starships, Titans, and Knights, but without a pilot to activate them they are largely inert.
>>
File: 1495585500628.jpg (754KB, 1920x1142px) Image search: [Google]
1495585500628.jpg
754KB, 1920x1142px
>>54526523
I remember reading some lore on the old GW website years ago describing a Tau force encountering a chaos warband of Slaanesh, and concluding that the leader of that band must be the Slaanesh they were all shouting about.

I imagine the Tau approach all of the phenomenon traceable to the warp with this kind of empirical but naive deduction. Their lack of psychic presence no doubt keeps this sort of mentality alive, since they don't have to contend with direct daemonic attention and have no psykers randomly manifesting their powers in the worst way. Higher level Imperial technology is probably viewed as something they haven't "cracked" yet, unaware that their very nature prevents them from truly understanding it, or something that can be safely ignored, the underlying brilliance of millennia past buried under crude wetware computation and ages worth of extraneous ritual, which was again developed in service to threats the Tau simply have never experienced and have no knowledge of.
>>
>>54529052
sound just about right
>>
File: this.jpg (14KB, 229x229px) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
14KB, 229x229px
>>54529052
>>
>>54513532
>Dah rokkit din't even blow up last time
Wot good is a rokkit what don't even go boom? 'Ow you gunna krump whatever's at the landin' spot?
>>
>>54523816
No, don't be dumb. Anrakyr and Necron crypteks communed with and controlled the "machine spirits" of Imperial machines. As we all know, Necrons are utterly soulless and have no spirituality. Machine Spirits are just a form of primitive AI.
>>
File: missile.png (1MB, 1418x737px) Image search: [Google]
missile.png
1MB, 1418x737px
>>54513252
Image related. Shadowsun sees the nobility in the martyrdom/sacrifice, but still sees it as a vile, twisted take on the greater good.

>>54514567
Fires of Cyraxus has the best good guys invade a world full of crazy old men who rummage around in a junkyard. The Red Scorps show up, and the admech unleash the robo-zombies they have, who've gone insane over the ages, and probably kill everyone on both sides.
>>
File: even_in_death.jpg (122KB, 850x565px) Image search: [Google]
even_in_death.jpg
122KB, 850x565px
>>54530074
I wounder how they would feel about dreadnoughts, probably better than the servitor I'd imagine.
>>
>>54529709
^This^

The machine spirit is just a tested and warp-proofed AI that is carefully replicated and the Admech turned into a spiritual object because of ignorance and tradition.
>>
>>54530074
Are we ever gonna get a storyline when the Tau finally fuck themselves with their AI or is it plot armor all the time?
>>
File: skyspear-missile.jpg (112KB, 900x680px) Image search: [Google]
skyspear-missile.jpg
112KB, 900x680px
>>54530074
Drone uprising soon, fellow organics.
>>
>>54512723
I like to look at that image whilst listening to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K956y2om92I
>>
>>54530435
Of course it is. Only human AI will ever go bad. Xenos AI, be it Tau or Necron, will never go bad. Unless it's a plot convenient thing for a story, but those are just isolated cases and not a trend.
>>
>>54530487
The Sarkoni Emperor. Look it up.

>>54530205

>Something was moving inside the torso unit. Something broken and sick.

>Bravestorm held his plasma rifle steady and extruded a hand from his battlesuit’s shield gauntlet. Gripping the blackened metal of the machine’s midsection, he carefully lifted the flaking hull plate up and outward, leaning forward to peer inside.

>The creature that stared back made his breath catch.

>A twisted and grotesque figure was trapped inside, all barrel chest and atrophied stumps. It stared up at him from sunken sockets, its undisguised hatred almost palpable. Wires and tubes penetrated its horrifically abused body in a hundred places. It wheezed, red-black fluids spilling from a broken jaw that worked and gummed as if it could click back into place through willpower alone.

>A glut of milky liquid poured from around its sutured waist as it jerked, spitting a gobbet of half-clotted blood onto Bravestorm’s ochre paintwork. Bravestorm’s sensor suite performed a threat analysis as the liquid burned through his synth layer. The clot was laced with a potent acid.

>The commander recoiled as the thing’s stink was filtered through his olfactory relay, and the battlesuit jerked upright in response. His autotrans flashed, spool-script rendering the creature’s slurred words in the tau lexicon.

>‘– –DIE IN PAIN – – FOREIGN WORM THING – –’
>>
>>54530403
Suprisingly warp proof considering they use grown brain tissue with bits of tech jammed in.

Also in the Mechanicum HH novel when that female tech preist taps into some of the Emperors power during an experiment it protects her forge from the scrap code. I wouldn't be half surprised if there is some soul/warp magic involved.
>>
File: space-marine-dreadnought.jpg (36KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
space-marine-dreadnought.jpg
36KB, 325x325px
>>54530497
>Standing upright, the commander placed a hoof-like foot upon the creature’s torso and triggered the punch-cylinder under its sole. A thin tube of titanium thumped into the thing’s ruined flesh before withdrawing with a neat click. The device was intended for geological analysis, installed by the earth caste to be used whenever the tau set foot on a new world, but Bravestorm knew from experience it could read biological information just as well.

>Keeping one eye on the plasma rifle’s designator, he used the other to scan the assessment screen in the rounded corner of his cocoon. The necrotic thing was human, or a close derivative. Extensive tissue damage, rejuvenation scars, and…

>The commander looked again in horror.

>Somehow, the vile thing was over six thousand years old.

>A macabre realisation crept through Bravestorm’s mind. This abomination had been trapped in its armoured war-coffin long before the tau’s ancestors had first emerged from their caves. What manner of enemy were they fighting upon Dal’yth?

>‘– – KILL ME – – VEXING FOOL – –’ spooled the autotrans. ‘– – KILL ME – – OR I SHALL HUNT YOU UNTIL DEATH – –’

>Bravestorm triggered his plasma rifle, and the creature met its final oblivion.

-"Blades of Damocles"
>>
>>54530497
>The Sarkoni Emperor. Look it up.

Like I said "Unless it's a plot convenient thing for a story, but those are just isolated cases and not a trend." That was 3 editions ago and nothing has come of it.
>>
>>54513633
>they probably think the AdMech are a different "caste" of human.
If that's what they think, the Tau aren't entirely wrong.

>>54513205
I'm just waiting for the Tau to learn that the Imperium has lost more planets to bureaucratic fuckups than the Tau have ever had.
>>
>>54518673
They get stomped because their numbers are too small and the only way they might ever matter is tipping the balance in a close war between two or more of the other factions.
>>
>>54530523
The Severed Necrons which are AI controlled Necrons exist beyond Sarkon Empire.

And the Sarkoni Emperor made an appearance in the "Cold Steel" short story.
>>
>>54513532
>Imperium
>Computer Viruses

they barely know what a computer is, they don't do e-war
>>
>>54530487
Necrons don't use AI, they turned traditional intelligence into synthetic intelligence and their constructs are literally slaved to their will.
>>
>>54529709
>Machine Spirits are just a form of primitive AI.
Depends. In some cases it's an AI.

In the case of less complex machinery (eg, a lasgun), the machine spirit is a belief. Nothing more, unless warp fuckery gets involved.
>>
>>54530554
No, the Tau already conquered a vast swathe of the galaxy and they have the numbers and tech to match the massive numbers of their enemies. Though, the Tau are said to be tiny compared to the Imperium it's said that they have become a great power in the galaxy
>>
>>54530505
Except Necrons corrupt in at every opportunity with little effort and they are completely material.
>>
File: Soul of metal.png (372KB, 708x306px) Image search: [Google]
Soul of metal.png
372KB, 708x306px
>>54530589
Don't confuse War Spirits with machine spirits.

>>54530578
Wrong. Necrons use AI, Tomb complex computers are used to maintain and run tomb worlds. One of them went fully sapient and insane.
>>
>>54530576
It's called scap code, the AdMech dabbles with it on occasion.
>>
>>54530634
>Wrong. Necrons use AI, Tomb complex computers are used to maintain and run tomb worlds. One of them went fully sapient and insane.

True but Necrons are legitimately the only race with the means to counter warp bullshit completely by technology.
Tau just get really lucky, all the time.
>>
>>54530671
Cawl is reverse engineering Necron and Old One anti-Warp technology. If an admech dude can do it so can the Tau if given the chance.
>>
>>54530671
I really want a story about a bunch of corrupted Ghostkeel AIs turning on their pilots.
>>
>>54530704
That actually requires some understanding of the warp to even make use of.
>>
>>54530704
Cawl isn't just some admech. He's a ten thousand year old magus who's so radical he can be a heretek. Not to mention the man who improved on the Emperor's space marine formula.

If he can do it, then the tau need to pull out their own super smart earth cast character.
>>
>>54530731
>own super smart earth cast character.

They have that. His name is O'Vesa
>>
>>54530731
What about mr. giant roboto who kept making bigger and bigger suits?
>>
>>54530747
Isn't he too busy being tau dreadnought?
>>
>>54530704
>If an admech dude can do it

First off, he still can't. He's just looking into it.
Second, the Admech are still leagues ahead of the Tau technologically. Third, Cawl is older than the collective racial memory of the Tau (kinda the Imperium too) and is a super heretic who spits in the face of tradition (literally the only thing holding the Imperium back)
>>
>>54530624
I could be because of the Void Dragon on Mars or because GW doesn't track their own fluff properly. Hence all the contradictory evidence.
>>
>>54530784
No, that's another guy.
>>
>>54530814
Sho'Aun is the one making bigger and bigger suits. O'Vesa is the guy with Farsight keeping himself alive in a suit.
>>
>>54530804
Or, more likely, the Machine Spirit is superstitious jank.

This is suppose to be an intellectual dark age. They just know that it works and they have the blueprints to build it. Why it works is beyond them so they make a spiritual appeal.
>>
>>54530828
Dude, you can just google the name. O'Vesa is the old Earth Caste scientist friend of Farsight who uses nanomachines to be immortal.
>>
>>54530851
>Or, more likely, the Machine Spirit is superstitious jank.
The Machine Spirit has been shown to exist and spiritual rituals have been shown to appease them. And in the case of titans they've been seen to be finicky and unpredictable at times and other machine spirits are no different just on a smaller scale.
>>
>>54530892
Again. you are confusing War Spirits with Machine Spirits. Iskandor Khayon explains both in "Talon of Horus" and notes how the Admech tends to confuse themselves between the two.

And machine spirits don't need to be placated. Necrons and rogue AI have taken control of the "machine spirits" of machines by hacking into them.

War Spirits needs to be placated since they are an actual developing soul.
>>
>>54530892
Cawls not-AI appears to warp/soul based. I don't think the machine spirit is a true AI made from code but more a vat grown and indoctrinated being with bits of computer attached and possibly a soul.
>>
>>54530934
The Inferior-Cawls are not AI. They are portions of Cawl's sentience being spread across multiple cyborg vessels.

>To say Cawl was a single sentience was untrue. Not anymore. He was a collection of iterations of himself. Creating them had taken him over the line of blasphemy that he had skirted most of his life, but he did not care. Duplication of psyche equalled multiplication of effort. They were limited things, these copies of himself, but utile. Half a dozen sub-Cawls worked in perfect synchronicity, overseen by the core intelligence that was the original Cawl. Though Cawl would only put it in such crude terms if he were forced to, he was like the conductor of the music he listened to, directing a host of lesser Cawls, all playing different instruments.
>>
>>54530934
This is probably true for smaller and newer machines, odds are older ones like titans are closer to true AI's as they have full personalities, and in the case of Knights I would assume they might be some full gestult of old mind fragments if that fluff is still accurate.
>>
>>54530510
>>54530205

Isn't Bravestorm basically a dreadnought too?
He'd relate to it
>>
>>54531006
Bravestorm is the guy perma-locked in his suit, yes. He would totally relate to the Dreadnoughts pain and ennui.
>>
>>54513532
>Laugh at some primitive charging at you with a sword
>send sword to lab to be studied
>sword baffles scientist for 50 years.
>eventual results in research have manage to increase materials science by leaps and bounds as well as aiding in the miniaturization of power cells.

that's sort of how i see it.
>>
>>54526523
according to the (no-defunct) RPGs, it kind of goes both ways - Tau are so cut off from the warp that Daemons actually have a hard time seeing them if they don't actively draw attention to themselves.
>>
>>54531006
>>54531031
Isn't Bravestorm dead now?
>>
>>54530999
Pretty sure it is, some titans and ordinates weapons have echos of entire past crews if they've been involved in a particularly memorable moment. Knowing the imperium it's probably a mix of a bunch of things that are better not thought to hard about.
>>
>>54531059

No?
When did he die?
>>
>>54531069
Took a Vindicare bullet meant for Farsight in Mont'ka.
>>
>>54531059
No.
>>
File: Echoes of the Mont'au.jpg (2MB, 2525x1258px) Image search: [Google]
Echoes of the Mont'au.jpg
2MB, 2525x1258px
>>54529052
>>
>>54513608
Have the Tau gone after any forge worlds yet? If not it's unlikely they'll of fought with AdMech outside of small rarified explorator groups.

The AdMech doesn't deploy for war unless it's a crusade or if it's defensive. At which point they start pulling Titans.
>>
>>54531072
You really need to read well.

>Even from his perch far up in the ruins, the Vindicare felt the air rush of the landing Orca dropship. Within moments, the red-armoured battlesuits began appearing. When his mission target was sighted, the Vindicare fired two swift shots. The first was with shieldbreaker ammunition – a shot that passed through Farsight’s force field and destroyed his shield generator, the device imploding with a flash. Without that protection, the second shot would penetrate the Tau Commander’s armour, exploding his head.

The Vindicare needed two shots to kill Farsight. One shot to switch off Farsight's shield and another to kill him.

The Vindicare being a dumbass didn't notice that is surrounded by 8 sub-commanders acting as his bodyguard each with his own shield. Bravestorm intercepted the Vindicare bullet with his shield causing it to bounce harmless off his shield.

>Since a bodyguard had intercepted his second shot on his mission target, the master sniper had been under siege. With uplifted shield generator, Commander Bravestorm had covered Farsight, while the rest of the Eight formed a crimson wall before their esteemed leader.

Imperials are total morons. Always have been.
>>
>>54512687

What the fuck is with that Tau's hooves?
>>
>>54531120
Yes, the Tau conquered the Forgeworld of Halfus.
>>
>>54531136
Assassinated many people, have you?
>>
>>54531157
Link? I'd be curious why the AdMech would allow such an asset to be lost.
>>
>>54531166

>He doesn't identify with Marines on a personal level
not the hobby for you
>>
>>54531166
Yes, I played Sniper Elite, Assassins Creed, and Hitman Absolution.
>>
>>54531180
Except I do. I'm just wondering why another individual's forcefield can be expanded to overlap another individual.
>>
>>54531176
Warzone Damocles (mentions the Forgeworld as being conquered by the Tau), the short story "Pantient Hunter" (features one of the Tau battles on the Forgeworld.), and Shield of Baal Devourer which has the text below :

>‘Fire,’ Korbel whispered. The ship shuddered and torpedoes, loaded as the ship achieved a stable orbit around Perdita, raced forward. Forged on Halfus, half a segmentum away, the torpedoes acted like frag grenades.

>Halfus-pattern torpedoes were notoriously effective against tyranid swarms, originally seeing use on Deathwatch vessels. Since that world’s fall to the Tau Empire, the torpedoes were rare and precious things. The Golden Promise only carried four.
>>
>>54531224
>deathwatch munitions provider.

I am skeptical in the extreme that the AdMech would roll over. Though maybe this is before GW stopped giving the Tau the Mary Blu treatment.
>>
>>54531224

ahaha
Tau stole the magic antinid stuff
>>
>>54531293
There's been several major Forge Worlds that have fallen over the years that the AdMech has never retaken though that may be partly because AdMech only recently became an army and GW never bothered to come up with lore for them making a major effort to take them back.
>>
File: 1495673448745.jpg (161KB, 545x545px) Image search: [Google]
1495673448745.jpg
161KB, 545x545px
>>54531041
I've always wondered what the first ground engagement between the Tau and the humans must have been like

>be fire warrior on bumfuck planet spreading the greater good
>pacifying yet another uppity primitive race that thinks they're all big bad mofos
>laugh with my buddy moe'un about how oiddly their main weapons are
>suddenly human in bright ass blue armor with a toilet seat on his shoulder comes running up
>Dude doesn't even have a gun, just a really big glove
>can't even shoot, too busy laughing. Crisis suits is literally doubled over laughing
>Human reaches crisis suits and proceeds to PUNCH A HOLE CLEAR THROUGH ITS CHEST
>other crisis suits retreat, leaving my squad to fend for themselves
>Humansfacewhen.jog
>ohfuck
>human proceeds to crush rest of my squad like left over ration tins
>last thing I hear is this crazed primitive screaming something about xenos and emperors
>>
>>54513532
New headcanon confirmed (if this isn't already how the writers view it)
>>
>>54512723
I like how chill Aun'va is about what's happening around him. Everyone around him is panicking and their brains are about to explode and he doesn't even change expression
>>
>>54531549
>Aun'va.exe has stopped responding
>>
File: Laughter_stops.jpg (32KB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
Laughter_stops.jpg
32KB, 189x189px
>>54531465
>Be Tau
>Be Crisis Suit pilot
>Shits cash
>Baddest motherfucker in the Galaxy
>Get mad bitches
>Nothing can compare to my big ass suit of war
>We're fighting some race called "Humans"
>They allegedly have some pretty crazy shit in their arsenal
>Don't believe a word of it
>It's just rumors
>We're fighting them on some world with big population centers
>Stomping human infantry and vehicles left and right
>Thinking about how much pussy I'm gonna get when I get home
>Suddenly something that looks like a sun exploding fills visor
>Sound dampeners almost break under strain
>WhatTheFuck
>Gigantic crater in the ground where there once were a few of my squadmates
>Look where shot came from
>There's a fucking cathedral
>Seen them before in a few image leaks on the TauNet before I was enlisted
>Apparently they are places of worship for humans
>Continue looking for where shot came from as it couldn't have been that cathe-
>It starts fucking walking
>Mfw
>It sounds some sort of warhorn that can only be described as the deafening roar of a Leviathan
>It shoots a different weapon this time from another giant gunbarrel on its side
>A literal hailstorm of bullets and missiles shred the rest of my unit
>I get away
>I still hear that warhorn in my dreams
>>
File: Macharius_Charge.png (279KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
Macharius_Charge.png
279KB, 500x357px
>>54531465
Imagine their first meeting with the Guard.

>be fire warrior
>be ready to fight some barbaric humans
>get to the field and see a literal sea of humans
>all die with relative ease but they send so many it doesn't matter
>suddenly you think they are starting to break up
>BLAM.jpg
>human in the large hat starts executing his own men
>the tide starts reforming and keeps pushing
>get killed by heavy laser fire in literal seconds
>>
>>54513532
Friendly reminder that Orks are the ONLY faction aside from necrons who can make and use reliable (For an ork that is) teleporters
>>
File: orks_happy.gif (75KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
orks_happy.gif
75KB, 1200x1200px
>>54531465
> be crisis suit pilot
> be deployed to fight some new primitives
>hear about a squad of suits going missing
>get to the location see the suits in the distance
>read odd signatures from the suits
>get close find the suits have been repainted and have spikes, giant claws, and 5 more guns on them
>see on the horizon a large mass of vehicles made out of literal trash with flames pouring out of all sides
>WAAAGH.jpg
>last thing I hear is bunch of jumbled words and laughing followed by a loud buzzsaw like sound
>>
Are there any good novels about the tau fighting the imperials?
Preferably where the tau are fucking confused by the human's ways, also with SM
>>
>>54513532
This makes me think how do the Tau view Ork technology, and by extension the Orks in general?
>>
>>54531756
Everything Phil Kelly wrote for the Tau in BL.
>>
>>54531632

Looks like Karl Franz leading an IG offensive.
>>
>be tau
>find a vault on a human planet we captured (for the greater good of course)
>Coated in warnings and shit not to open
>Clearly an attempt to trick us!
>Open that bitch up
>Oh hey cool some super advanced AI is pinging our systems

>two days layer planet is dead, ships start leaving the system, Tau start Men Of Iron II Electric Boogaloo
>>
>>54531911
And then, the necron came over
>>
>>54531938
>necrons and MoI high five, then go about scouring the galaxy in jolly cooperation
>>
>>54530559
>The Severed Necrons which are AI controlled Necrons exist beyond Sarkon Empire.
>"The Empire of the Severed is a Necron Dynasty based from the Tomb World of Sarkon"

Ok...
>>
>>54530471
Didn't know Xavier and J'onz get so much in common
>>
File: Severed Worlds.png (276KB, 553x263px) Image search: [Google]
Severed Worlds.png
276KB, 553x263px
>>54532367
Try reading from the codex instead of the wiki, you jackass
>>
File: lexi.jpg (151KB, 508x422px) Image search: [Google]
lexi.jpg
151KB, 508x422px
>>54532470
>>
>>54532539
So you are a lexi reading jackass for real. The Severed Tomb Worlds number in the thousands.

The Sarkon Servered Empire has like 5 tomb world. God, you are so dumb
>>
>>54531756
That Kayoun audiobook was goods it also showed how horrible the Tau photon grenades really are, as it's described that the ears, eyes and noses starts to bleed as guardsmen spasm around on the ground after being hit with a photon grenade
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/13536976/

Konor starts tomorrow, who are you guys fighting for?
>>
>>54531386
>>54531293
For all we know, the Admech might be working on building the forces to retake them, they're just busy with other shit. From memory, the most recent thing they were doing before Guilliman was revived was building up a significant minority of their collective armies to go after that STC on a Daemon World that has every piece of psychic-related tech inside it.

If they could, they'd probably have already strapped rockets to Mars and flown it to said STC.
>>
>>54531622
>>It sounds some sort of warhorn that can only be described as the deafening roar of a Leviathan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiNVjkJDsqI
>>
>>54530798
Too bad Admech is the green lantern of 40k scientists. All the potential, next to zero ability to use it.
>>
File: Cryptek 2.jpg (412KB, 672x960px) Image search: [Google]
Cryptek 2.jpg
412KB, 672x960px
>>54532700
>Imperial Warlord Titan, preparing to fight a Tyranid Bio-Titan, ca. 789.M40, colourised

Come to think of it, are there any examples of Tau finding/researching Necron tech? I mean, Crypteks are basically wizards who laugh in the face of such silly concepts like "laws of physic" and even Eldar have no idea how they make things work.
>>
>>54532781
I always thought the dawnblade and talismans of Arthas Moloch were necron tech but I think the current consensus is against it.
>>
>>54532842
The Dawn Blade contains a malignant intelligence that corresponds with Eldar and daermon weapons.

The talismans are hexagrammic which means they were created by someone who knows Warp sorcery and knows how to counter Chaos.
>>
>>54532842
Isn't the dawnblade an eldar thing?
>>
>>54532870
Well dawnblade is chronophagic and we have more controlled time-altering shenanigans and tech from necrons than from all the other races combined. Necrons are also pretty big on anti-warp tech. Before the latest Farsight lore updates it was pretty reasonable to assume they might have been necron tech.
>>
>>54532927
Necrontyr couldn't extend their life spans, and Necrons have no use for increased lifespans being that they are immortal.

The sword was found in a temple that has a Chaos shrine in the form of a Chaos tar that opened a warp rift to the Eye of Terror. The Shrine was surronded by statues bearing hexagrammic amulets that ward off Chaos, and one of these statues held the sword. Necrons cannot into Warp sorcery so they couldn't have made the hexagrammic trinkets.
>>
>>54530968
Forked consciousness in a grimdark way. Interesting.
>>
>>54531224

You mean the Forge World that was defended by a Baneblade and one unsupported platoon of LEMAN RUSS TANKS? That's so far below normal Admech military capabilities it's pitiful.

There is a giant scale of different types of Forge World, given how shit the place looked in that story I would be surprised if it wasn't one of the "single Forge City, one or two unique products" worlds like Zhao-Arkkad. Tau don't really have the expendable numbers to get in a slog over a Primus-grade Forge World, Ryza has been fighting billions of self-reinforcing Orks for decades and they're still holding their own.
>>
>>54531840
Macharius. If Creed is the tactical genius, he's the strategic genius.
>>
>>54533385
Dude, this is like a the third time I tell you this. The short story was written like 2 or 3 years before the Admech got their two codexes and became an official 40K army with OC units and OC new fluff.

If the war for Halfus is revisited, then GW would rewrite it to include all the new Admech stuff like what they did to all the old major Admech battles that were rewritten and expanded on in the Admech codexes and subsequent content.
>>
>>54533575
Never really talked about that battle before, so must be some other anon.

Hopefully now we're a proper army we'll get less crapped on in the fluff, since previously we were the convenient punching bags of whoever wanted to take a piece out of the Imperium. Doesn't seem to have stopped, though, since in all the new books the Admech is only written as idiotic retards with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Phil Kelly REALLY doesn't like us.
>>
>>54512687
Basically the Tau are all running Linux without any anti-virus software, whereas the Imperium is running Windows 7 with DEP, all the anti-virus and scanning programs, and requires a key to unlock the computer for good measure.
>>
>>54526616
Does a hammer have a machine spirit?
>>
Can a Tau be corrupted by Chaos?

Can Tau be affected by Chaos runes and go mad like Imperial Guardsmen?

Can Tau be used in offerings?
>>
>>54533719
>Can a Tau be corrupted by Chaos?

As far as I know, this has never happened, so no.

>Can Tau be affected by Chaos runes and go mad like Imperial Guardsmen?

They can be affected with the freaky visuals of impossible fucking creatures tearing through real space and their squadmates. If this isn't enough to make them go bonkers, I don't know what is.

>Can Tau be used in offerings?
I'd say that depends on the god you're ofering them to. They bleed, they have skulls and sometimes they put up a fight, so Khorne might be pleased. Don't know about the others.
>>
>>54530576
You're retarded. Imperial computers are called cogitators.
>>
>>54533850
>affected with
little to no sleep last night. "affected by" of course.
>>
>>54533850
>As far as I know, this has never happened, so no.
Fuck off retard.

White Dwarf had an article years ago about an Ethereal getting possessed by a Tzeentchian demon, and Grey Knights getting dispatched to kill the possessed Ethereal and the Tau under his command.
>>
>>54533719

La'Kais in Fire Warrior was temporarily corrupted but got over it.

A Tau Water Caste guy was possessed by a daemon when he struck by black lightning when he accidentally hit a button while reading the text inscribed on a Gellar field generator.
>Can Tau be affected by Chaos runes and go mad like Imperial Guardsmen?

They don't get mad but they get headaches and become dizzy.

>Can Tau be used in offerings?

Yes but they make for poor offerings according to the Tzeentchian herald in "Farsight :Crisis of Faith"
>>
>>54533962
It's me the guy from here >>54533981

No, that was a WHAT IF scenario and not an actual canon event.

The Tzeentchian Daemon Lord in Fire Warrior said that breaking an Ethereal and possessing him is like the oceans breaking on shore. Extremely difficult since Ethereal minds are very disciplined and pure.
>>
>>54531642
The Imperium and the Eldar use teleporters (Teleportarium) as well. It saved my Rogue Trader butt times and times again,.
>>
>>54531642
>what are Terminators and Warpspiders
Are you the same guy who claims Cawl stole hover technology from the Tau, despite the IoM making antigrav vehicles since forever, or needing Tau tech for plasma weapons that don't explode in your face?
>>
>>54533719
It's probably technically possible, but extraordinarily difficult making it all but pointless. Like breaking into Ft. Knox to poop in the sink.
>>
>>54530731
"Improved"

It's hardly an improvement, just a difference. People tend to forget that in combat being larger is actually detrimental against ranged weapons.

It's my head cannon that big E knew about the primaris, and chose not to use them
>>
>>54530074
I like the Tau, when they act in this manner. They should be like Star Trek Federation. The Straight Man to the general craziness of Warhammer 40k. I imagine them always to be a bit horrified of their enemies.
>>
>>54530435
The Tau are slowly marching to their Doom. A Doom that will be in a few thousand years. (If they don't get eaten by Tyranids)
>>
>>54530592
The Tau are a minor Xeno race even compared to other minor ones like the Hrud, Fra'al or the Q'orl. The greatest weakness of the Tau are the Spacecrafts. They are simply not fast enough to conquer vast regions. In 3 or 4 thousand years, maybe, they wil be a great galactic power.
>>
>>54534471
If they don't get eaten by Tyranids or disintegrated because they sat on a Tombworld. IIRC, at the end of Gathering Storm they were spitroasted between a massive Hivefleet and the most powerful Dynasty in the galaxy. And as we know, they lost one of their expansion fleets.
>>
>>54531632
>>54531622
>>54531465
>imperiumwank.jpg
>>
File: galaxy-shadowbox.jpg (378KB, 2000x1600px) Image search: [Google]
galaxy-shadowbox.jpg
378KB, 2000x1600px
>>54534471
>The Tau are a minor Xeno race even compared to other minor ones like the Hrud, Fra'al or the Q'orl.

Nice headcanon you got there. I cite stuff from the codexes and you throw shit at me from your butt.

The fluff as stated in 7th ED and 8th ED has the Tau conquering a vast swathe of the galaxy and ascending to being a powerhouse in the galaxy. Do you want spoonfeed you the text?

>>54534511
The Sautekh dynasty are busy fighting off daemonic incursions and launching the Absorption Wars on fellow Necrons. It has no time for the Tau. Even if they did, Imotekh notes that should he engages in outright war with the Tau and Ultramar at the same time, his dynasty would be put under heavy pressure.

And there is no bloody major Hive Fleet anywhere near Tau space.

>they lost one of their expansion fleets.

Didn't phase them and that expansion sphere is not destroyed. It will pop up in another part of the galaxt at some point.
>>
File: 400px-QOrlSwarmhood.jpg (27KB, 400x291px) Image search: [Google]
400px-QOrlSwarmhood.jpg
27KB, 400x291px
>>54534599
The Q'orl Empire is bigger. And they have Warp Drives. The Tau is a medium-low danger to the Imperium.
>>
>>54534649
More headcanon as usually. The Xenology happened before the Third Sphere expansion.
>>
>>54534599
So, the galactic creampie swallowed the hivefleet? How convenient.
>>
File: Tyranid_Hive_Fleets_Galaxy_Map.jpg (559KB, 1380x1008px) Image search: [Google]
Tyranid_Hive_Fleets_Galaxy_Map.jpg
559KB, 1380x1008px
>>54534824
Lets check the Hive Fleet map here. Where are the Hive Fleets in near Tau space.

Behemoth? Ded. Killed by the Ultramarines.
Gorgon? Ded. Killed by the Tau and Imperials
Kraken? Ded. Killed by the Eldar and Ultramarines.

A few surviving splinters are around in near Tau space but nothing major at all.
>>
>>54534824
Yep
Leviathan went all in on Baal and jobbed naturally
>>
File: 1500270340107.jpg (425KB, 1533x1484px) Image search: [Google]
1500270340107.jpg
425KB, 1533x1484px
>>54532607
The Emperor
>>
File: angry.jpg (37KB, 600x458px) Image search: [Google]
angry.jpg
37KB, 600x458px
Can we just remove tau from the lore? They're worse than the smurfs when it comes to Mary Sueness. Shit race is shit.
>>
Why hate the Tau more than chaos? If you think they're sues or "good guys" you're ignorant, willfully ignoring their fluff, or falling for the xenos propaganda. For shame.
>>
>>54542574
>Xenos Propaganda
>>
File: Imperial perspective.jpg (840KB, 1580x1101px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial perspective.jpg
840KB, 1580x1101px
>>54542574
>>
>>54529052
Hold on, are you saying that the Tau are autistic?
>>
>>54530576
There have been several references to the Mechanicus deploying 'data daemons / demons' against their foes.
>>
>>54543999
Well, they *are* based on anime....
>>
>>54534571
>quintessentiallytriggered.tiff
>>
>>54543999
Not him, but it's more like a person who is deaf trying to understand how echolocation works.
>>
>>54531622
It must have felt like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9QuO09z-SI
>>
>>54538311
I wonder how the blue cows would react dealing with a custodian.
>>
>>54546370
Same way they react to every other space marine, but while wearing shades to protect them from the shininess?
>>
>>54512687

Tau are Icarus. Imperium are Icarus's father.
>>
How do the down explain psykers and blanks, you'd think seeing wizards shooting mind bullets would be hard to right off.
>>
>>54548812
*tau
>>
>>54548812
When the ethereal says not to worry about it, you don't worry about it. These are the people who pretend their leader is still alive after he got assassinated.
>>
>>54531465
Screencapped for justice.
>>
File: 1360009797973.png (579KB, 2298x347px) Image search: [Google]
1360009797973.png
579KB, 2298x347px
Well for one they think the Imperium are fucking insane for traveling the warp the way they do after testing it themselves.
>>
>>54531465
The Tau are not retarded. The spider race they fought liked to get into melee.
>>
File: WHAT DO YOU THINK.png (219KB, 913x686px) Image search: [Google]
WHAT DO YOU THINK.png
219KB, 913x686px
>>54549570
you're forgetting the part where a race capable of splitting the fabric of space and time for Faster than Light travel decided it was a good idea to make a weapon that is literally just a bigass fist to punch things to death with. Coincidentally it's one of their favorite anti armor weapons.

You're missing the joke here.

This is something one would normally expect of the orks.
>>
>>54530074
>Fires of Cyraxus has the best good guys invade a world full of crazy old men who rummage around in a junkyard
I think you mean it has the despicable, short-sighted xenos dare to blaspheme against the Machine God by bringing their unholy Abominable Intellegences to the holy ground of one of the Machine God's holy forge-fanes. ;)
>>
Could someone point me towards the Damocles books?

Can't seem to find them in the MEGA archive.
>>
>>54550089
Have you considered the possibility that the powerfist was made as a countermeasure FOR orks?
>>
>>54532965
might well have been some other minor xenos race that tried to dabble in warp sorcery and anded up extinct
Thread posts: 188
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.