[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

mtg - Standard Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 42

File: Game-Day-Winner-Playmat-615x348.png (354KB, 615x348px) Image search: [Google]
Game-Day-Winner-Playmat-615x348.png
354KB, 615x348px
Standard Thread: Healthy Format Edition

>RESOURCES:
>Current Standard Metagame
>http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=ST
>https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard
>Due to the nature of standard, meta vary wildly depending on environment

>Playing?
>Hating?
>Want to build?
>Personal spice?
>Best sideboard tech?

The day of reckoning looms in the distance, how will you fare?
>>
File: Bounty of the Luxa_AKH.jpg (181KB, 672x936px) Image search: [Google]
Bounty of the Luxa_AKH.jpg
181KB, 672x936px
>>54498737
Can this work on a standard deck or was it meant for edh? And how do I tell which cards are good for 60 card standard play and which is edh trash they've been pushing?
>>
>>54499233
Doesn't give enough card draw
Doesn't impact the board
Doesn't ramp hard enough
I could see it as the core of some deck post-rotation when 70% of the good cards in standard rotate out, but currently not.
>>
Why do you need two threads?
>>
How good is g/r pummeler in this meta?
Anyways
>see above
>not enough information to accurately judge since I haven't been to standard in a while
>mono red aggro
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/is-it-drake-1/

Countervailing winds. Does it work?
How about the artifact which brings cycle as one of in the board?

Grixis control with Nicky b. Should I do it senpai? I'm not sure desu.
>>
>>54499233
Turbofog is a real deck. Shitty control matchup, but completely floors everything else.
>>
File: Top8_Ross.jpg (52KB, 266x300px) Image search: [Google]
Top8_Ross.jpg
52KB, 266x300px
>>54498737
>Play
RDW
>Hate
Sweltering Suns, Dark Salvation
>Build?
nothing, maybe eggs for fun
>Spice?
Bloodrage Brawler > Kari Zev. Also, Chandra and Glorydragon are too slow. 19 lands or bust
>Sideboard tech?
Destructive Tempering to blow through Monument Memes, Insult/injury against turbofog and/or control and Sweltering Suns to blow out the Mirror.

I'm playing with 0 Abrades and 0 4+ drops. Go fast or go home.
>>
>>54502252
How does it compare to Maze's End? I never lost to that as monogreen aggro back in RTR/THS. It's basically about running them down on fogs/answers.
>>
>>54502742
It has 12 fog effects and 4 ways to timetwister.

You either die to Fevered Visions, Kefnet beats or because of Approach of the Second Sun.
>>
i'm running a UR Prowess meme deck. It's great against control, sucks against aggro, meh against midrange
>>
File: 47.jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
47.jpg
69KB, 312x445px
Super good tech against Sand Strangler and any deck using the Deserts in their manabase
>>
>>54499233
I cheat it out with Baral's Expertise
>>
>>54499233

I play this is in Bant Superfriends, but because of Oath of Nissa, I can play any colour walker. 4 of these, 2 on and 2 off is real good.
>>
>>54506471

>what is arabian nights

lol
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 1334x750px
>>54505340
>sucks against aggro

Bin it. Same reason I'm binning ramp, at least for now.

>Press F to pay respects to G/R ramp
>>
I bought into Grixis Control because I was the one idiot who played Cruel Control in modern. Is it going to be the bogeyman of the format or am I going to get raped by Gideon all over again?
>>
>>54509607
An expansion?
>>
>>54498737
>built U/W monument because it looked like a fun rush deck
>Raped my way to first on Friday and Saturday
Jesus why is this deck so fucking lethal?
>>
>Make a race of Jackals that more or less shares a soul between twins
>Don't make the first two-person planeswalker card

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with WotC? Also why no Planeswalker's Guide to Amonkhet?
>>
I really want to try building a reanimator deck, but cannot decide how to go about it. I'm leaning toward Esper so that I have access to Cast Out, Champion of Wits, Refurbish, Scarab God, and possibly Torrential, but I'm still iffy on the idea. Any tips on how to approach this? Also, is God Pharaoh's Gift just a meme right now, because I'm seeing an odd number of people trying to make it work on Xmage this last week.
>>
>>54499233
turbofog, just know everyone will hate you for playing it you piece of shit.

>>54513985
hey are you me, I too want esper reanimator. I was actually just looking at the ixalan spoilers to try and see what would work with it.
>>
File: 1499091072654.jpg (46KB, 750x573px) Image search: [Google]
1499091072654.jpg
46KB, 750x573px
>>54502377
>see jackal pups, raging goblins and hammerhands in the format
>almond status: activated
>play red sligh
>5-0 fnms
>people salt the fuck out
>'you shouldnt play that its not a real deck'
>fast forward
>still playing sligh
>'oh is that tom ross' list?'
fuck every magic player that isn't me.
>>
why aren't planeswalkers used more?

are they used more in other formats?
>>
>>54513985
Someone won a MTGO PTQ last weekend using UW Gift. Angel of Invention has spiked up in price now because turn 4 Baneslayer Angel is pretty stupid.
>>
So heading into the upcoming PT here are the viable decks you should see:

RDW
WU Monument
URx Control
Mardu
Zombies
Temur Energy
GR Pummeler
GB Energy
2-4 Color Emerge
3-4 Color Delirium
GR Ramp
Eldrazi Midrange
WU Reanimator

So much better than the last PT when everyone expected 6 Mardu decks to top 8 but we ended up getting nothing but Marvel and Zombies.

Abrade is probably the best card in HoD. It sees Standard, Modern, and Legacy play (sideboard in the latter two formats). Pick up your playsets before it jumps up to $5.
>>
>>54502377
Why not blazing volley instead of tempering? It could also work against the mirror
>>
It's nice that we're finally getting a fresh new meta in a few months, but still having to fucking deal with the dumb uninteractable bullshit that is energy for another half year is fucking awful. RG pummeler is the dumbest fucking aggro deck I've seen in ages.
>>
File: 1487729358453.jpg (39KB, 294x294px) Image search: [Google]
1487729358453.jpg
39KB, 294x294px
>Was playing Grixis Control during the last few sets
>Took a long break during most of Amonkhet
>See the Meta now

Fuck. Guess I gotta order some cards and enjoy a good Control block.
>>
I've been playing around with Sultai reanimator for the last few hours, and I think I'm in love. Ever Aftering Razaketh and just tutoring it back every turn is some funny shit.
>>
File: hapatra mai waifu.png (1MB, 1344x638px) Image search: [Google]
hapatra mai waifu.png
1MB, 1344x638px
I've played this with moderate success and had lots of fun. What changes could I make now that Hour of Devastation is out? Grind // Dust seems strictly better than Splendid Agony, Channeler Initiate can even produce white mana to cast the other half of the card. Overall I enjoyed playing the fast, low CMC creatures, but have been tempted to try something heavier, like Decimator Beetle. The new Obelisk Spider also seems like a viable addition.

Thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_8766.png (108KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8766.png
108KB, 223x311px
>>54516332
Forgot to add that I substituted a couple of Foul Orchards for Grasping Dunes for some synergy with Hapatra and the nest. Worked pretty well, actually.
>>
>>54516123
i made an esper version of that deck, designed to go off at turn 4 either though milling/discarding god gift then refurbishing or though self mill cards like that keldesh 1 drop blue and mill/cycle card or has the option just to mill away a bunch of cards to fill up to get a gate to the afterlife activation. It isn't as cool or explosive as your version but is built for consistency
>>
>>54516332
whats the mana dork for with such a low curve, id add in something fun like lifelink demon croc instead, he stems the bleeding with 8 health swings against red deck wins
>>
>>54516621
The dork and Exemplar let you pump out a bunch of scarabs, at least that's the reasoning I assume that anon's working with.
>>
>>54498737
>how will you fare?
I owned the entirety of U/W Monument before it became a deck, then threw it together.

I've played a total of three games with it, one of which lost to blue red control.

I think I'm fucked.
>>
File: sultai jank.png (2MB, 1449x929px) Image search: [Google]
sultai jank.png
2MB, 1449x929px
>>54516439
This is what I've been trying so far. Not completely sure on the sideboard yet, but I really do like being able to literally pull Torrential out of my ass for surprise Disallows with Raza. It's been more consistent than I expected so far, but there's clearly room for improvement.
>>
File: AltarsReap[1].jpg (44KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
AltarsReap[1].jpg
44KB, 223x311px
>>54516814
What do you sideboard? I am in the same boat as you but dont really have any problems with U/R control. Though my sideboard runs more control than most monument decks.

>>54516332
Have you considered pic related for some draw speed?
>>
>>54516866
I think it's just extra copies of Metallic rebuke. I honestly don't have it with me at the moment.
>>
File: Dispel[1].jpg (47KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Dispel[1].jpg
47KB, 223x311px
>>54516882
I have four pic related in mine for dealing with control match ups since the local meta is full of them. Right now the only spell that they have that annoys me is Hour of Devastation because of that pesky "lose indestructable" as it makes my selfless spirits worth less. Dusk/Dawn means that I can rebuild quick though.
>>
>>54516942
>Hour of Devastation
Wouldn't Negate fix that issue, instead of Dispel?
>>
>>54516954
I also run two negates in sideboard. HoD really isnt that much of a problem since Dawn//Dusk makes shit come back so quickly.

Dispel makes it easy to ensure you get your shit out. Metallic Rebuke and Negate are for protecting them once they come out basically.
>>
>>54516992
Yeah, I suppose I'd rather drop Monument turn 4 with a dispel in hand rather than let it get countered on turn 3.
>>
>>54511788
It's because they give no shits about board clears and have multiple finishers
>>54514228
>planeswalkers are consistently the best cards in the format
>but why aren't they used more
MaRo please
>>
>>54515179

energy and that faggot blue whale is awful
>>
File: Solemnity[1].jpg (92KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Solemnity[1].jpg
92KB, 223x311px
>>54515179
Dont mind me. It's just that I have been energy free since turn three!
>>
>>54516848
my side for my deck is
bontu last recogning x3
fragmentize x3
censor x3
fatal push x4
transgress the mind x2

i sideboard fatal push because my gaming format where i live is pushing away from key 2 drops and instead going for 3 drop bombs
>>
>>54514228
How is a planeswalker supposed to survive against white weenies (with a bunch of flyers), heart of Kiran or rdw?

You can pretty much only drop them after a boardwipe against these decks
>>
>>54514228

(personal opinion) i wish planeswalkers weren't in mtg. they kind of warp the game around them. they either take over the game and start dicking over the opponent big time (no fun) or get killed right away by some shit like flyers as >>54517738 said (not fun) so it seems to me the OP ones like Gideon and Chandra kill the fuck out of everything and then the meme ones don't ever see any play and get instantly raped. Kind of shit design IMO. bolas is at least ok design because he is 8 mana with 3 colors, so giving him rapey abilities seems fair. but with a CMC of 4 or something i feel planeswalkers are undercosted but idk. maybe if they were cheaper but functioned more as creatures? if their abilities were all very slight? who knows. either way i aint paying $20x4 for a playset of some walker
>>
>>54514228
Atraxa superfriends is a thing where i live in my standard format
>gidion oot
>sorin
>tamio
>ajani
run preium removal and torrent elemental then build your wall
>>
>>54517950
>the only planeswalkers that see play are the ones that can boardwipe or immediately kill creatures on entry
>most planeswalkers don't even see standard play
>"planeswalkers are too good"
>>
>>54516332
Ive been running a Similar list mostly for casual play.
I think Hapatra is good enough and draws enough hate that having 4 of her is worth it.
Im not sure if hapatras Mark is worth it but I will admit that I havnt tried it much. I would consider swapping out Blisterpod/Bone Splinters entirely, and I prefer Greatmaw/baleful ammit over Croc.
And there is the obvious improvment of using blooming marsh
As far as HOU changes:
Throw in some Ifnir Deadlands To replace those deserts you said you had.
Ammit Eternal is a Powerhouse if not dealt with and even if your opponet deals with it it can give you multiple snakes/scarabs making it annoying to deal with cleanly.
Banewhip Punisher isnt great but in this deck it offers a lot, functioning as a token generator, a body and a removal spell.
Grind//Dust is Much better then Agony, running both isnt the worst but if you only run one, run grind//dust (especially when channeler can give mana for dust)

Obelisk Spider is somthing I really want to try but havn't found a place for in my current build.
Lethal sting is a good Budget replacement for bone Splinters.Key to the city for Hapatra/Ammit Eternal can can rude

There is also some merit into Going red for Scorpion god "the rock" johnson + a few other good stuff in the color (soul -scar might be good in this scenerio, but im not sure if you really want to rely on having red mana turn one, but a sweltering suns+soulscar+Nest will give an insane scarab producing combo)
>>
File: 1264005978294.jpg (13KB, 375x360px) Image search: [Google]
1264005978294.jpg
13KB, 375x360px
>>54518168
>Atraxa
>standard
>>
in an aggressive deck is unsummon just better than unsubstantiate?
I'm trying to put together jeskai flyers with fevered visions since there's a lot of monument in my meta and I want to use my spell quellers as much as I can before they rotate out.
Is it better to use some number of goldnight castigators and glorybringers or just stick to the 2/1s? I know fevered visions pushes me toward dumping my hand so I can get value faster, but monument doesn't like dealing with fat flyers
>>
File: Snakes.png (2MB, 1200x998px) Image search: [Google]
Snakes.png
2MB, 1200x998px
>>54516332
Ammit Eternal is the bomb the deck lacked and Obelisk Spider is bonkers. A straight improvement over Decimator Beetle.

Since you are on a budget, as I can understand, I will avoid the obvious improvements (Fatal Push and Blooming Marsh) and center around HOUR additions.

Grind to Dust can replace Splendid Agony. Is much better but lacks of Instant speed. I am finding a lot of weenie strategies in my LGS so the instant speed is not necessary and Grind//Dust is much better. However, in the strange case you really need those -1/-1 as instant speed, just sit on those Splendid Agony.

Hapatra attracts a lot of hate. Have 4 of her. She will die A LOT.

You could replace Hapatra's Mark for Blossoming Defense or Heroic Intervention. I find Blossoming Defense quite better because it doubles as protection AND a combat trick. You won't remove such amounts of -1/-1 counters to make that card worth it and, besides, Channeler and Exemplar usually wants the counters anyways.

To sum up, I would remove the Blisterpods, the Splendid Agonies and the Hapatra's Marks and replace them for a calibrated number of Eternal Ammits, Obelisk Spiders, Grind//Dust, Heroic Interventions and Blossoming Defenses.

Right now, the list I am piloting is >pic related . I am not using any Blossoming Defense because people at my LGS prefer just to try to sweep my board instead of removing Hapatra, in the meantime, Yahenni's Expertise and Dissenter's Deliverance are a MUST against weenie decks. And don't forget replace your Bone Splinters for Never//Return when facing Superfriends decks. It will make them cry, I tell you.
>>
>>54518822
you dont actually run the card atraxa, just seems catchier than saying g/w/b/u and it does feel as soul crushing as fighting the pheraxian
>>
>>54520276
This seems like a fun deck, I might build it. How much white do you need for the Grind//Dust?
>>
File: 1499158909447.jpg (60KB, 617x813px) Image search: [Google]
1499158909447.jpg
60KB, 617x813px
>>54498737
wanted to build a esper aggro or Monmouth deck but im still confused about which one to go?
>>
>>54520602
esper aggro sort of hinges on bfz gideon which is rotating out soon so keep that in mind.
i have no idea what monmouth is tho
>>
File: Snake.png (235KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Snake.png
235KB, 375x523px
>>54520471
Actually, nothing. Just use your mana dorks (Channeler Initiates). Or you could just jam some Aether Hubs or two green/white lands if you don't want to rely upon the channelers.

It isn't the most meta of the decks but, if you like interactions, it is a lot of fun, indeed. It can beat easily RG Pummeler and BG Energy. If you get a fast start, UW monument will be crying too. The worst match-up, however, will be against control, since they just have to negate your nest of scarabs or chain sweep after sweep. Against them, it is better just to rely on keeping Hapatra alive, keep those Heroic Intervention like a sacred treasure and land the nest when he (maybe) taps out after trying to sweep.
>>
>>54520276
How would key to the city fare in this deck, considering you have hapatra and ammit eternal?
>>
File: 1469829992381.jpg (30KB, 539x552px) Image search: [Google]
1469829992381.jpg
30KB, 539x552px
>>54514228
Ever play against a superfriends deck? Especially before Hour of Devastation came out? It's horse shit. Enjoy not being able to attack EVER if there's a Gideon of the Trials and Dovan out, because unless you're going really fucking wide, those two can just uptick all day long and weaken your biggest creatures. Whatever ones don't get tagged will get blocked by tokens, or advocates, or whatever else. This isn't including things like having to whittle down your opponent's life to 0 AND deal with a Gideon because a (NON-INTRACTABLE) Emblem is on the field that reads he can't lose while a Gideon is on board AND somehow try to keep all the other walkers in check from just comboing their ults. It's just not fucking possible to split that many resources and manage that much up until Hour came out, and even then you still need to draw into it.

And you want MORE of these fagbags to be ran? Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>54522637
Even with Hour, planeswalker hate is utter shit. We have the cycle of color specific hate spells for the gatewatch, and two 1BB sorceries. Hour of Devastation itself is pretty much the only good answer to walkers, and any superfriends deck will be running multiple counters or Gearhulks, so good fucking luck if you're on the draw.
>>
>>54522743
If they've got gearhulks in a superfriends deck, then they aren't doing a thing most other turns. That's an incredibly tall mana curse.

Burn/Aggro usually does a good job keeping planeswalker-heavy decks in check, so I don't think it'll be much of a problem with both monored and gideon vehicles floating around.
>>
Trying to build a rotation-proof RDW, what are some good 1 drops to replace the 2/1 vampire? Also is Lathnu Hellion good? How about Combat Celebrant? Does Burning-Fist Minotaur have a chance?
>>
>>54522168
In my experience, it is horrible. Hapatra, actually, doesn't need to connect any attack to get her value of any use. I usually just try to spread the counters the wider, the better. In addition, the discard hurts you a lot, specially since you don't have any means of draw engine. And, even when your nests are deployed, you want to still have cards in hand in order to make them produce tokens. I have been pondering to include in the deck Driven//Despair, but I don't know what to cut or if it would worth it.
>>
>>54523912
>specially since you don't have any means of draw engine

Key is the draw engine. It would work better in a build running four Ammit Eternals, but even on it's own it easily outvalues it's own discard.
>>
>>54523871
Lathnu Hellion can be decent if you've got the energy to keep it around. Otherwise it gets chumped twice then dies.
Soul-scar Mage is probably a decent enough replacement for the vampire, at least if you're running a version of the deck that's a little more burn-oriented.
Flameblade Adept is another option if you're also running 4 bomats and 3-4 Bloodrage Brawlers.
Combat Celebrant is a trap. Generally speaking, your creatures are going to be dropping like flies, and if they're not, you're going to win anyways. He's either useless (you get to untap your bomat courier and attack with it again, on t4! Yay!) or win-more.

As things stand now, I think the vampire is better if you're on the play whereas the flameblade adept is better on the draw.
>>
>>54524137
Thanks, i was also thinking of using Consuming Fervor and Invigorated Rampage, are they good?
As for removal/burn is there anything good a part from Abrade, Shock and Magma Spray to run post rotation? Maybe Trial of Zeal to reuse with cartouches?
>>
>>54524381
the trials are limited only cards. There's no way any number of red trial and 4 red cartouches don't end up being the worst 5-8 cards in your deck by a wide margin unless youre running a real shitheap
>>
>>54520795
im using it without bfz gideon (aomnkat gideon) and tezzert also
>>
>>54525582
The B trial is pretty good. Maybe not in the current monument meta tho.
>>
>>54524381
Harnessed Lightning. Even without an energy sub-theme, it's a Lightning Strike at worst, and variable so you can build up the energy for bigger threats.
>>
>>54524381
Abrade is really good right now with all the monument or god pharo's gift decks.
>>
>>54523951
This, it's mostly great for ammit, but works well with hapatra if needed. I'd also reccomend using archfiend of ifnir if you do end up using it. Especially in matchups that are heavy on small creatures tokens. (Also lots of scarabs/snakes)
>>
>>54523871
Why worry about rotation? Gorger is like ten cents. Use him until he rotates
>>
>>54523871
The only reason RDW lists are over 100 is because of Chandra's in the sideboard. The ones that rotate like Gorger and Incendiary Flow are cheap
>>
>opponent plays "sacrifice creature" card
>i have one creature
>drop a "make indestructible" instant on my dude
>dies anyway

fuck your faggot game tbqh
>>
>>54529486
It's an 'Anon learns that Black is the most powerful colour' episode.
>>
File: goo.jpg (28KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
goo.jpg
28KB, 223x311px
underrated?
>>
>>54529544
Not really underrated. Everyone understands the power Yahenni has, it's just not currently in anything particular right now.

Currently I'm waiting for a return of aristocrats, though.
>>
>>54529486
Sacrifice and negative toughness get around indestructible. Welcome to black.
>>
what's the best way to get rich; fatal push or bitcoin?
>>
>>54529734

>negative toughness

what? no, that wouldn't be fair. I disagree
>>
>>54524381
I like Invigorated Rampage. I run two in my deck at the moment. Post-rotation I may run four.

Trial of Zeal/Cartouche combo has the potential to keep the deck firing in mid to late game, but more often than not there are just other things you want to be playing. I could see it being okay if you went with a burn-heavy variant that ran like 18-20 creatures instead of the usual 24-26, however.

One of the interesting things is, at least at the moment, there are many variations on the monored deck floating around. I think it winds up coming down to what matchups you're expecting to play and tinkering your main-board plan to match.

My deck is just about done, the only thing I'm missing are the Chandras. Kind of annoying as I traded some I opened in draft packs/prizes a long while ago when she was around $40, then nearly bought a playset when she was at her lowest, and now she's back to $30 and climbing. Fuck me.

Not that it matters, though, there isn't a single LGS near me that's firing standard events. One store got all their showdown packs and just fucking cracked them all and put up the singles because they know the event will never fire.
>>
>>54529758
Unless you're playing Blue or Commander, you're not allowed to disagree with rules.
>>
It's also worth noting that Borderland Marauder is actually in standard right now. Seems like a good fit for most mono-red decks.
>>
>>54529569
Gabriel nassif has been testing a gb aristocrats deck on his stream, it looks pretty funny
>>
>>54506471
Would be even better if it was immune to -1-1 counters as well.
I kind of want to chuck this in a commander deck when somebody else is using deserts.
>>
who /notplayinguntilixilan/ here?
>>
>>54530912
How will Ixalan make things better?
>>
>>54506471
I get not reprinting camel on account of none of the deserts deal damage to creatures but why the fuck was this not in hour of devastation.
>>
>>54531063
Because no one lived in the Amonkhet desert until the aftermath (pun intended) of HoD events
>>
>>54530912
>>54531036
The current meta seems pretty good, what's wrong with it?
>>
>>54524381
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-07-17-rdw-standard/
Here's what i came up with, thoughts?
>>
>>54531345
Drop the Flameblade Adepts for Soul-Scar Mages. You don't have enough discard outlets to get consistent value out of Flameblade, so Soul-Scar's prowess will get you a lot more damage. Working Bomat Courier in would help too, since being able to refill your hand is a boon for a red aggro deck.
>>
File: ZdFjoyE.png (166KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
ZdFjoyE.png
166KB, 265x370px
What should I meme with on Game Day? I want to go Grixis Control but I hesitate between 8 Thermo-alchemist (5-8 being Firebrand Archer) or the Torments cycle
>>
>>54531759

I like that card. Is 2 ENOUGH?
>>
>>54531811
Enough for what?

2BB is the mana cost of the common if the cycle, Torment of Venom
>Put three -1/-1 counters on target creature. Its controller loses 3 life unless he or she sacrifices another nonland permanent or discards a card.
Which one is better for 2BB depends on the situation
>>
What caused Champion of Wits to spike? Was there a massive buyout?
>>
>>54532011
Online at least, I've been seeing tons of people playing God Pharaohs Gift decks the last few days. Every reanimation deck wants a playset of them.
>>
>>54531842

lol I meant is 2 enough in a deck.

bought 2 the other day
>>
>>54532352
Oh yeah, it's enough
You don't want to draw them before having enough mana to seriously hurt your opponent
>>
>>54531759

Punisher cards are shit and not Constructed playable. Play your UR Thermo-Alchemist deck (or better yet, the UR prowess deck that's just doing what you're trying to do but better).
>>
>>54532673
>UR Prowess
>Same as what you want to do but better
But I don't want to turn creatures sideways
>>
>>54532743

It plays 8 creatures, the literal same number as what you're talking about. Stormchaser Mage and Soul-Scar mage.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=114830

Besides, Thermo-Alchemist also has to turn sideways to deal damage, btw

:^)
>>
Ok /tg/ I gotta know, why does control seem to have no counter.

Peopls say aggro beats it, but with grasp and fatal push, unsummon, magma spray, etc they can have turn 1 removal, so getting a cheap one under the control mana is difficult.
Why is control allowed to be so good against so many matchups but have very little to no checks but itself technically?
Moreover, what can be built to give the biggest middle finger to all players that pick blue?
>>
>>54531140
Specialized people went out to the desert for supply runs according to the artbook iirc. But the real answer is theyve retired landwalk.
>>
>>54533359
>It plays 8 creatures, the literal same number as what you're talking about
>Besides, Thermo-Alchemist also has to turn sideways to deal damage, btw
Don't play dumb, you know exactly what I mean

Also, I'd need to buy 4 soul-scar, 3 stormchaser, 4 fevered visions and a bunch of other cards just for one Standard event before Ixalan
>>
>>54533438

Unsummon is not removal. How fucking new are you?

>Why is control allowed to be so good against so many matchups but have very little to no checks but itself technically?

Wait, nevermind, I guess you missed the part where control was unplayable for the last year and a half, so... very VERY new.

Play mono red, or ramp, or a tempo deck if you want to beat control. Pressure them enough to tap out in combat, and then slam something unbeatable main phase two. They have a hard time beating problematic permanents that generate constant advantage (like Gideon, Ally of Zendikar or Fevered Visions), so if you play countermagic of your own to resolve those things, winning is fairly trivial. Modern magic is full of bullshit threats that are tough to beat, while the answers are weaker than they've ever been. Look, I get that you're triggered by your opponent interacting with you, but you're gonna have to get used to it if you plan on playing this game, Hearthstone babby.

Also, most importantly: git gud
>>
>>54533640
>muh interaction
Stalling to Torrential mana is a complete joke in the current format. Removal is plentiful, board-stalling walkers are plentiful, every color but green has access to one or two playable boardwipes/mass bounces, there's several completely playable counterspells, two of which also can be cashed in for a redraw, and several great flash creatures like Avacyn and Queller to round it all out. As far as toolsets go, control has the most robust options of any archetype right now.
>>
>>54533752

Go look at the top 8 results from both of the SCG Opens and both Classics. URx control had 2 spots in both Classics and 1 spot in the first Open. That's not exactly representative of an oppressive deck. Quit fucking whining.

I'll eat my words if it dominates the PT

It won't
>>
>>54533438
Because a control deck isn't going to have four of each of those in its deck, let alone its hand.
Monored decks can also sideboard to a burn plan instead of creature-based if you expect a control-heavy meta.
Control decks can also be very difficult to play well because you're not always going to have answers in-hand, so you have to know what to counter and/or remove and when.
Lastly, while aggro decks are very easy to pick up and play, they can still be very difficult to play well. Anyone can just empty their hand onto the board and hope for the best, but there are many small decisions and nuances involved, especially against other aggro decks.
>>
>>54533752
"Stalling" isn't a real term in magic. You really shouldn't jump to stupid conclusions without any game experience.
>>
>>54535134
yes it is, people usually try to time you out if they loose round 1
>>
File: Image (18).png (126KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (18).png
126KB, 223x311px
>>54520276
I see all these hapatra decks but at then end of the day no one ever utalizes her first ability, how are you going to.connect her fat butt to the opponites face

i think this intro deck card is the answer, there is also a globle enchantment for 3 in shadows over innestrade to give everyone skulk, but mence is just as good i think by turn 3
>>
Orzhov any good in standard right now? Esper? I stopped playing at Aether Revolt and wanna get back in. I'd been playing Gruul before but don't really have interest in that anymore.
>>
>>54535443
Hapatra doesn't really need to get in when most your nonlands give counters. And as mentioned before, key to the city works alright with her if you don't have an Ammit to slap it with.
>>
>>54535679
in the world of abrade, i fear key to the city doesn't stand to exist. Ammit would never be replaced, amd trumps the enchantment as a 3 drop, i just view this.enchantment as a super greedy hidden gem that can has its place in many parts of the deck you present and i think trumps scarab nest as a 3 drop non creature, it can curv out to devotee of strength and even channel initiate if yoj decided to dump the -1/-1 counters on 1 drop zombie creating a 4 turn kill clock that has to be more than likely hard removed because toughness hit the magical 5 mark, out of range of grasp, abrade, sweltering, ect. Ya it still can gwy pushed, that was makes it greedy. But best is when it is put on the aminet, if.not hard removed it usually is only a 2/2 by turn 4, but making it a 4/3 with menece and afflict 3, if he is double blocked you deal 6 to the opponite, if the opponite cant kill your 2 drop and your 3 drop you are in a good position with this card.
>>
>>54533640
It isn't, but it removes a target back to hand turn 1 so they can get that 2 mana for there next card to get rid of it... It is a just argument STILL because there isn't a way to get low level creatures under curve turn 1/2 because of all the good answers for 1/2 mana atm.
>>
>>54534705
Thank you for the input
>>
>>54535443
>put a 3 mana aura on the creature that's going to get the most hate out of all creatures in your deck
>>
>>54536485
never said it wasn't greedy, but if they aint got the removal, it is pretty much gg
>>
>>54536244
>but making it a 4/3 with menece and afflict 3, if he is double blocked you deal 6 to the opponite
that's not how afflict works, it deals x damage if the creature is blocked, not x damage for each creature that blocks it
>>
>>54536674
>“Whenever this creature becomes blocked, defending player loses N life.”

Wizards needs to work on its wording. It implies multiple tiggers. No way one would know without digging though new ablity notes and rulings.
>>
>>54536915
No it does not, 'being blocked' is an existing thing. It affects shit like damage to player and trample damage.

I immediately understood what it meant without reading any supplementary text on it. Most notably because otherwise they would specify that it triggers for each creature that blocks it.
>>
File: 1473344828820.jpg (57KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
1473344828820.jpg
57KB, 312x445px
>>54535443
Why did they reprint pic related as a card costed 3 times higher?
>>
>>54537251
>as long as its controller controls no other creatures
Yeah this clause makes absolutely no difference
>>
>>54535357
That's called slow play sir, JUDGE!
>>
File: 20170422_203635.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170422_203635.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
>>54536915
You need to work on your comprehension skills, Desu baka senpai
>>
Everyone is talking about W/U monument, but no one is saying anything about W/U God-Pharoh's gift. How come?
>>
>>54520425
even so, torrent elemental?
>>
>>54538771
It hasn't topped a tournament yet
>>
>>54536244
I'm willing to bet abrade would eat hapatra before key even comes out, plus couldn't you tap it in response to get at least one use / Trigger arch fiend if you run him.
>>
>>54538910
gearhulk, fuck, you know what i mean, been dieing of brain aids this week
>>
File: 571376017039592.jpg (16KB, 275x177px) Image search: [Google]
571376017039592.jpg
16KB, 275x177px
Really wish something other than Monument had become the seasonal cancer deck. It's just so damn uninteresting to play against.
>>
>>54539037
It topped an scg classic
>>
>>54540085
Its pretty fun to play though.
>>
File: id=607790.jpg (157KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
id=607790.jpg
157KB, 500x500px
Any thoughts on this?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mardu-gearhulk-v10/
My major concern is the manabase because I'm fucking awful at configuring 3 colors.
>>
>>54540609
I'd play Razaketh in that he seems super powerful in a reanimation shell.
>>
>>54540609
Sideboard the Cataclysmics, go down a Lili, add in one or two Ever Afters, and like the other anon mentioned, a couple Razakeths. Razaketh and Ever After give you a fucking absurd value engine. You sac something to tutor Ever After, cast it to get back whatever you sacced, usually a Noxious for more value, and just bring it right back from your deck whenever you want with Raza.
>>
>>54540609
seems like fun
if you really wana start playing with fire i make it 4 color breya deck with torrential gearhulk and chain spent or discarded gearhulks. Might be flying too close to the sun but it be neat
>>
>>54540609
I saw a very similiar deck posted some days ago, but it was running God-pharaoh's gift to dump that in the graveyard and refurbish it, giving free gearhulks every turn
>>
>>54540671
>>54540920
I'll have to look into Razaketh. The reason why I wasn't considering him before is because I also didn't think about ever after, meaning the only way he'd ever hit the field is from Lili.

>>54541026
I don't think I like the idea of GPG. It exiles the gearhulks, which makes any more refurbish you draw dead and you get 4/4s that now die to push instead of 6/6 or 5/4 creatures that don't.
>>
>>54540609
Just impulse-bought a very similar thing today because I loved the Mardu GPG idea and saw that online a while ago:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mardu-reanimators-deck/

Have been testing it online today and it's fun as fuck so far. Played with the idea of maybe even going for a Mardu -1/-1 counter theme by slotting out some of the creatures for Scorpion Gods, Archfiends of Ifnir, Soul-Scar Mages and a few removal spells. Gonna have to test around with that first, though.
>>
>>54541080
>die to push
No, they don't. The tokens are copies of the original, meaning they copy the entire card, including CMC. The only downside is having less stats, though the ETB is what usually matters anyway. The extra Refurbish can always just be used on future Gearhulks you dump or just be dumped themselves.
>>
File: savage knuckleblade.png (134KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
savage knuckleblade.png
134KB, 223x311px
Haven't played since Tarkir, thinking about going to FNM this week. What should I play? Anything I would like?
Played a modified RUG with this guy, to show my preference a little.
>>
>>54541388
Temur Energy has been a relevant deck ever since Kaladesh's release. Should be right up your alley and be pretty good.
>>
>>54541443
yeah looking at the decklists right now.
any decks out that would be a good starting point?
is new Chandra the new Jace?
>>
>>54541516
Short answer, no.

Long answer, only in Standard, and even then not really.
>>
>>54541516
Not but she is really good and can help you win against creature removal.
>>
>>54541516
Kinda sorta, KLD Chandra is pretty much used in every single non-aggro red deck and is by far the best 4-drop available for red in any color combination, period. She even does ramping better than green can do right now, which is pretty fucking sad.

Energy decks are pretty straight forward. Just run your Attune with Aether, Harnessed Lightning, Whirler Virtuoso, Rogue Refiner, Glimmer of Genius and some pay-offs and winning cards like Bristling Hydra, Glorybringer and Torrential Gearhulk.

The deck basically builds itself, since there's a chunk of good energy cards in those colors, which are easy to judge as good, and you basically just run each one of those.
>>
>>54541585
>She even does ramping better than green can do right now, which is pretty fucking sad.
Hour or promise into double shrine is pretty fucking hard ramp
>>
>>54541606
The problem is that that ramps you so late into such little pay-off (as the only worthwhile things to ramp into right now are Eldrazi Titans, Sifter Wurm and that green 7-mana Eldrazi) that ramping from 5 to 7 with Chandra is usually way more important and relevant.
>>
File: ?.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
?.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
>>54541640
>ramping into Ulamog does not pay off
>>
>>54541651
It does.
But ramping into Ulamog for turn 6 is usually just worse than doing early game ramp into a Glorybringer or something similar.
>>
>>54541585
looking at the control decks, are they strong right now? looks kinda weak.
and artifacts are good?
>>
>>54541711
UR Control is Tier 1.
Mardu Vehicles is still really strong.
There's a few UB and Grixis janky artifact decks, but the only ones seeing actual play right now are God-Pharaoh's Gift (in reanimator like posted above), Oketra's Monument (in a weenie deck) and the Gearhulks.
>>
>>54541711
Res just got a huge push this set. R/B control is looking great.

They're are quite a few good artifacts sprinkled out in different decks, nothing cohesive enough to make robots though. At most decks will run playsets of 1-2, rarely 3 artifacts. Mardu vehicles and G/B snake being the big hitters.
>>
>>54541787
U/R control my bad.
>>
>>54541685
With a nut-draw the G/R ramp deck can throw down Ulamog on turn 5 but if it fails the nut-draw it does really fall flat on its face
>>
>>54541800
>>54541751
so looking at the control deck, the Torrential Gearhulk is the only win condition, right? is this reliable?
>>
>>54541832
Aside from man lands, yeah game one it's totally fine. You may have to add or just diversify threats in games 2/3.
>>
>>54541832
Considering how good its match-ups are and how it's been dominant for weeks, I'd say yes, it is.
You just counter and outvalue every single thing so hard that you don't need anything else. If you do feel iffy about only having that card as your win-con, there are "grixis" variants that run 1 or 2 Bolas.
>>
>>54541803
What makes G/R ramp better than Cheerios?
>>
>>54541892
>there are "grixis" variants that run 1 or 2 Bolas.
Mostly useful for the mirror because U/R control kills gearhulks so easily that the mirror is fucking stupid
>>
>>54541964
I've seen lists mainboard a single Sphinx to maybe snag game one in the mirror. Don't know how worth it that is.
>>
Im wanting to make a not egypt draft cube for some reason, should I buy a box of almondkek and hou or should I just buy the 1080 singles, alternatively I could just throw my money into the trash because the sleeves I put them in would hold more value

Keep in mind boxes here in kangaroo land are about $175-$180 each
>>
>>54544557
Always buy singles. Always. Besides I'm pretty sure you could get some flavourful or mechanical fits in other sets too.
>>
>>54539037
It won the mtgo ptq which is prob harder to do than winning any paper rptq
>>
If I'm obsessed with Limited (specifically draft since no one plays sealed near me) will enough attendance eventully get me decent progress towards a Standard deck, or is that unreasonable? I fucking love draft but maybe I'll want to try Standard later.
>>
RBU zombie + afflict deck

yes or no?
>>
File: dagger of the worthy.jpg (51KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
dagger of the worthy.jpg
51KB, 312x445px
If you enchant a creature that has afflict X with this, will they get "Afflict X+1" or will it be replaced with "Afflict 1"?
>>
>>54547378
6/27/2017 If a creature has multiple instances of afflict, each triggers separately.
>>
>>54547156
You have to consistently top four just to maintain parity on the actual draft cost at most shops, so you're still looking at 2 playable rares per average draft with the occasional mythic. It's great for bulk since a lot of people are happy to give away most of what they draft, but for actual building, it isn't really viable.
>>
>>54547314
Afflict isn't worth building around. The good afflict creatures tend to be ones that would still be worth using even without Afflict, like Ammit Eternal. Wildfire Elemental is probably the only creature where afflict is a big upside since you get a good payoff either way.
>>
>>54506471
still dies to sand strangler
>>
https://youtu.be/ewoWkAv-XqY?t=38m10s

38:10

good game
>>
are enchantments removable?

what happens if you tap an enchantment (via some spell)?
>>
>>54549955
Yes

The enchantment becomes tapped
>>
>>54547314
unfortunately theres no build around deck for afflict like madness got with vampires or energy with well...everything.
Theres no synergy with afflict creatures like other decks either, not to mention there are only 3 good afflict cards and none are game winning
>>
>>54550157
RUB Afflict would be an aggro deck, just winning by playing afflict creatures and swinging
If you don't kill your opponent, try again
Then you cast Neheb Eternal and use his ability to cast even more creatures
Add some counterspells and the Trample and Menace tricks

It won't be a competitive deck, but it will be fun
>>
>>54549955
>what happens if you tap an enchantment
It becomes tapped, but it doesnt' stop the effect or anything, just like artifacts with innate abilities. As for removal, yeah, but it's usually just white and green that have access to enchantment removal.
>>
>>54550595

Thanks!

Creature spells. When are you allowed to cast them?

Also- instants during opponent's turn - if you wait until after the combat phase and he says "pass to you" or whatever, is that when you play your instant? (eg - fatal pushing a creature he played on his second main phase)

Is this considered playing an instant in the "end step"?

(asking anyone btw)
>>
>>54550930
After every action and advance to a new phase, priority is passed from the active player, to the defending player, then back as the action complete/phase changes. Creatures can only be cast during main phases, unless they have Flash or a conditional ability like Madness. Instants can be used whenever you have priority.
>>
>>54550930
Read the rules, dude. This is literally the most basic shit.
>>
>>54550953
>>54551008

Okay so I am on defense, I have a fatal push and an untapped swamp. My opponent in his main phase plays some 2 CMC creature - can I fatal push it immediately after it resolves (before?) - even if he may have wanted to cast some more stuff before moving to combat phase? Or do I have to wait until he wants to move to combat before casting my instants?

I ask because i'm playing magic duels - in it you can cast that fatal push whenever you want, and it kills the creature immediately. But I started wondering what would happen if the player was, say, about to make that creature indestructible with a sorcery. It seems like I should have to wait until the end of his main/beginning of combat to cast it to avoid such a mess. Or does he just counter my fatal push by putting it on top of the "stack"?

Am I making sense here?
>>
>>54551091
If you let the creature resolve priority goes back to the other player until they try to cast another spell, activate an ability, or move on to another phase.You cannot do anything until you have priority.
>>
>>54544895
i would buy singles, but i wana keep my local card store alive and not need to drive 50 miles to another card shop.

but he treats us good, in 2 weeks he is hosting a free to enter tournament, single round elimination, prize: a whole box winner takes all.
>>
>>54552934
Why not buy the singles from the store?
>>
>>54552979
store is tight on space so he doesn't want to sell singles or deal with massive amount of inventory that will have a limited shelf life. To risky for him.
>>
>>54499233
I play it in my turbofog, I actually like it a lot
>>
>>54553004
How does it have limited shelf life?
Singles are also a good way to attract customers and generate a fair bit of revenue. Buy a $10 market price card from a customer for $4 cash, $6 store credit, they spend more money in your store and then you turn around and sell that $10 card for $11 or so. Yes there is some risk with singles, but more often than not the benefits outweigh the risks.
>>
>>54553050
>limited shelf life
>october is around the bend
what then do you do with all those diregraft ghouls and gideon, ally of zenikar when standard rotates, and then all the inventory one would buy from these sets when 2018 4th quarter rolls around? People wanting to by X but you dont got X so you start keeping a stock amount, or even buy boxes or sell diacounted boxes in exchange for cards he needs. Singles is a rabbit hole for stores.

Also he doesnt have the space for it.
>>
>>54553140
Space is understandable.

As for the rest, that's why you just buy at lower prices. Like, the market price for a GAoZ might be $15 or whatever, but stores are buying them at a significantly reduced amount.

>>54553011
>turbofog
Why would you do this
I already know it's to fuck over people who play aggro/creature-based strategies, but boy does it rustle my jimmies because I know it folds to any other deck. So it's like I autolose to a deck that doesn't have a hope of winning the tournament.
>>
>>54553269
>buy something for 8$
>tries to sell something for 15$
>never sells it
>looses 8$
>anon can't understand why store wont sell singles
>>
>>54553269
>Why would you do this

cause GR energy rustles my jimmies, and I have had good matchups even against control,
Insult//Injury is the only problem desu.
>>
>>54553483
>GR energy rustles my jimmies
Blessed Alliance not working out?
>>
RDW has an answer for pretty much everything EXCEPT the one enchantment everyone looked over and ignored until now; Authority of the Consuls, and artifacts in general.

What do you do in this scenario? I don't think it's even worth it to splash green because there are no Ghor-Clan Rampager, BTE, Flinthoof Boar, or Experiment One-tier creatures out now to help justicy the splash.
>>
I'm going to my first draft tonight and I'm kind of intimidated. Played mtg casually with friends and played too much hearthstone. Anything I should know? It's 8 person pods. Should I aim for keeping the most pricey cards or build a deck that will help me win (kek)? I own zero cards and will probably piss someone off by being slow and fucking up the rules
>>
>>54553790
*enchantments in general

Fuck what a typo
>>
>>54553790
Abrade takes care of any artifacts.
Enchantments are just something you have to deal with. The nature of magic means you can never have all the answers and there are some things you're just going to be disadvantaged against.
Authority isn't played very much anyways, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Though my sideboard against control/fog etc decks is to swap out a bunch of my creatures with more straight burn.
>>
>>54553790
Nobody plays authority of the consuls because there's not really an existing deck it slots into well. It looks great for a controlly deck, but not a single control deck plays white because red has better boardwipes and white's spot removal isn't that great at the moment.

I think white can make for a pretty good control deck (though it's losing almost everything post-rotation), especially with gideon of the trials. Losing blessed alliance will hurt though.
>>
>>54553833
Anon, this is contemporary magic standard. If there's a deck that doesn't have the answers to everything, it means that the right combination of busted mythics hasn't been found yet.
>>
How am I supposed to beat monument? I cannot think of a single deck it isn't strong against.
>>
>>54553790
I sideboard authority for mono-red aggro and even have put it in to help slow down glorybringer.
>>
>>54502377
Do you have a decklist? Your approach sounds fun
>>
>>54553923
Abrade, blazing volley
>>
>>54553958
Selfless Spirit, Dispel
>>
>>54514562
Abrade seems really common in the HOU drafts i did. I drafted in paper like thrice and already own 3.
Dont think it will spike like Fatal Push,
>>
>>54553966
Delete this
>>
>>54553966
>Dispel
Negate. Or metallic rebuke. If you can pay the 3, it's already too late.
>>
>>54553923
U/R control has the best match-ups against it from my experience. Disallow takes out pesky triggers. Abrade kills and removes monument. Hour of Devastation wipes the field selfless or not while being out of range for queller.

And lets not forget the card that fucks over most of the creatures that U/W monument runs Magma spray.

>>54553966
Main deck dispel is not a thing U/W monument does usually. Its a sideboard option and usually a two of at worst.
>>
>>54553904
For a while I played Esper control starting in ENM through Aether Revolt and it was pretty good, if extremely grindy and tiresome to play. Authority was good in the sideboard in that deck.

I kind of want to try it again, but losing things like Grasp of Darkness, Blessed Alliance/Immolating Glare, Flaying Tendrils, etc, is going to hurt bad. Now that I think about it, losing the BFZ and SOI dual/man lands is going to make it nearly impossible to play as well.
So much for that, I guess.

>>54553966
I've never seen a monument deck running dispel.
>>54553968
Fatal Push spiked because it's modern playable. Abrade might see fringe play in certain decks, but it won't be an autoinclude in the way push is.
>>
Firebird or Glorybringer for RDW sideboard?
>>
Shitbrewing here. Drake Haven + Gate to the Afterlife. Possibly a locust god deck.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gotta-lotta-energy/

First standard deck, how's it look, what should I change?
>>
>>54529746
Fatal push because even if it becomes as worthless as bitcoins you can burn them for warmth.
>>
File: 2017-07-27-12-18-19.png (218KB, 475x403px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-27-12-18-19.png
218KB, 475x403px
>>54554628
>looks like fun
im greedy so id add in walking blastia and make it jund with winding constricter and explosive, just board it out against -1/-1 strats
>>
>>54554647
>as worthless as bitcoins
but what did he mean by this?
>>
>>54554043
they run negates mainboard though
>>
>>54553998
I think the real question is how do you beat UR control? there are like four control players (one of them in Grixis) and they're all unpleasant smelly cunts at my store

How can I shut them down?
>>
>>54554628
Is this made with cards you already have?

While I could just tell you to reconstruct the deck as any other GR Pummeler/Energy deck, I'll try to avoid that. So:

-4 Heroic Intervention
This card is only really useful if you're going to have a very wide board.
-2 Consulate Turret
I see why you have this in here, but it's just bad.
-2 Gonti's Aether Heart
Way too expensive. If it didn't sac itself it might be viable.
-2 Heaven/Earth
Not many flyers in the format and you don't want to be hurting your own creatures with its aftermath.
-1 Bristling Hydra
Hydra is only really useful against decks running a lot of removal, even with the energy gain.
-1 Servant of the Conduit
Don't need a mana dork here and Brawlers net you energy as well on ETB.
-2 Verdurous Gearhulk
While a solid 5 drop, it doesn't quite fit into your deck's plan.

+2 Voltaic Brawler
+2 Greenbelt Rampager
These give you better early game plays and to get your pressure on the board. T1 Attune into T2 Elephant is pretty slick.
+3 Blossoming Defense
Replaces heroic intervention.
+1 Fabrication module
+3 Lathnu Hellion
+1 Longtusk Cub
+2 Lightning Runner
Lightning Runner isn't very good, to be honest, but it's spicy and with all your energy running around, I can see being able to use its ability the turn it comes down.

Overall the idea was to add consistency to your plays, give you more board presence by having 25 creatures instead of 19, and bringing down your mana curve a touch so you can actually play stuff.

Let me know what you think, anon.

Oh, and something else to consider might be to run removal in your sideboard since the deck relies on four harnessed lightnings for that. Some Abrades would be good. Perhaps a sweltering suns or two as well.
>>
>>54553269

>go to LGS to see how much singles are
>non foil Glorybringer for $10
>online it's $4-$5

Alright then. Well at least I can just quietly browse the sele-

(Autistic store owner tries to sell me shit)

"Do you play EDH?"
"Not really" (hey hey hey, edh is autistic and gay)
"Well you can try this 4 player commander collection for just $185, and we will give you $5 back for each spindown counter you sell back to the store because people really want them"
>commander anthology sells for $160 online

It's shit. LGS owners have to hawk stupid shit and push dumb stuf on the plebs, but real players wouldn't buy overpriced af singles from the store. Tourneys bring in some money, but meh. I can see why most LGS die soon and why MtG is dying at the community level, Wizzards is way too fucking stupid to facilitate fun, profitable, worthwhile events when it would be easy and simple for them to do so if they had smart people running the business
>>
>>54553909
pretty much this. why try and design a good deck yourself when the best deck will eventually be some shit like

4x gearhulk
4x chandra planeswalker
4x gideon of trialz planesfaggot
4x fatal push
4x abrade
4x spell queller
4x heart of kiran
4x grim flayer

then fags will netdeck the shit out of it, muh abzan grixis mardu control
>>
>>54556022
Well, that's more a symptom of store owners who shouldn't be store owners.
In-store prices will never match market on TCGPlayer because your LGS is simply going to have more overhead and less volume to make up for the thinner margins. I don't mind paying somewhat more for a card, ie my LGS is typically about 10-15% over TCG Market, but cases like yours do exist and it's dumb.
Though when it comes to sealed product I never buy from them because not only are they charging near MSRP, but then I'm stuck paying tax as well so I get double fucked.
But yeah, there's a reason the vast majority of game stores go out of business within two years.
The other issue, at least locally for me, is two LGS that depended on MtG/Standard for the bulk of their revenue are in serious trouble because standard attendance has dropped to the point they can't even run FNM anymore. I know there have been bad/low attendance standards in the past, but I don't recall it being this bad in recent memory.
>>
>>54556149

I wouldn't mind paying $6 for a $5 card. I just don't see the point of pouring serious $$$ into magic. With their awful balance, and how most decks are basically >>54556071 to be competitive you need 4x mythics and an expensive land base. I mean sure you can durdle around with a custom deck or use RDW netdeck but why? Sealed seems more fun to actually *play* magic but too many mtg games come down to opening hand variance. im not surprised people are leaving mtg in droves

why would i spend $80 on a box to build my collection, then $50 more in singles to optimize a deck, when i could just buy a good video game for $20? a game that would last me many hours and shit. i dont understnad how wizards is keeping this shit financially viable
>>
>>54556426
Video games decimated the RPG/Table Top market in the 90s. MTG survived through sheer popularity.

As well, MTG and other card/board games have a very strong social and physical aspect that you don't get in vidya gaems.

Cost is a concern, but in the grand scheme of things, spending $500-600 a year on a hobby for me is a pretty good deal. I've certainly dabbled in far more expensive things.
>>
>>54556512

agree with everything. only thing is that most mtg players are salty autists, or have way more money than you, or have way less money than you

if i could find 2-4 other bros to smoke/drink/eat with and play loads of mtg on the weekends with it would be best hobby

instead most of it is spent online looking at tourney decks longingly or sadly sorting my collection
>>
>>54555970
Some of the cards I already have some aren't, but thank you. I wanna keep the heroic interventions and heaven/earths cause they work really well together to remove the opponents board. Gearhull works since I spread out the counters so that if I put out rishkar I have a ton of mana to tap. This also makes gonti easier to tap so I'll keep him too just cause it's such a fun unexpected card. However I love the rest of your advice and will adjust it accordingly.
>>
playing rdw for the first time at fnm this friday...any tips for the monument, control, pummeler/temur monsters matchups?

i wanna win
>>
>>54551091
If you're still around, then let me explain the stack real quick, basically after active player does something, it gets put on the stack, if anything he does triggers anything, then that goes on the stack as well, right above whatever he did to trigger it. Then a player has a chance to cast something else immediately after he cast something, but at this point there is something on the stack, so that means anything it cast in succession has to be instant speed as determined by the word instant or flash on some cards. Example:

Player B's Turn
Player B cast Lightning Bolt
Player B states they are holding priority and cast a second Lightning Bolt.
Currently on the stack there are 2 lightning bolts.
Now if he has nothing else to add, you can now Respond with something like Negate to one of his Lightning Bolt so Now it's:

Player B Lightning Bolt
Player B Lightning Bolt
Player A Negate targeting Lightning Bolt

Now it resolves from last to first so
Negate counters Lightning Bolt targeted.
Lightning Bolt not targeted resolves and hits for 3 Damage.

As for creatures resolving in your scenario, casting a creature puts it on the stack but you cant actually target a creature on the stack with something like Fatal Push cause its still a spell until it hits the field, so you have to let that Resolve.
Once the creature or spell is done resolving, priority goes back to the active player, assuming Player B's turn, goes back to him, so lets say he has a sorcery or even activated ability that makes his creature indestructible, he can now put that on the stack targeting his creature. Assuming he has nothing to add to the stack while he has priority, it will now pass to you so now you can respond to the indestructible ability or spell, with fatal push.

Player B's Indestructible sorcery spell on stack targeting Storm Crow
Player A responds with Fatal Push targeting Storm Crow

Now we go in Reverse, Fatal Push killing the creature before it can get buffed.
>>
>>54557065
Abrade the monument, play under control, save your removal for the pummeler, race the monsters
>>
>>54554581
And gate is nontoken. Not impossible to still make work but I need to rtfc first.
>>
>forgot to pick up 2 additional GPG at store while dirt cheap
>bound to increase in price because some fuck will get exceptional results with some UW GPG deck
God dammit.
>>
File: monobluezombies.png (448KB, 413x667px) Image search: [Google]
monobluezombies.png
448KB, 413x667px
any suggestions for this shitbrew? so far beat Temur Energy and U/W Monument

extremely rough draft, no bully pls
>>
>>54557606
It was like 50 cents a week ago.

It's $4 now you fucked up. It won't even be good at the PT because everyone and their moms are going to hate the shit out of that deck along with RDW. Everyone should get rid of their copies now.

Hell this PT is primed for Temur Energy to dominate since everyone doesn't give a shit about that deck anymore.

Confiscation Coup to steal Gift or Angel of Invention. Bristling Hydra and Rogue Refiner against UR Control. And enough interaction against RDW.
>>
>>54559646
It's been at 1€ in-store since release and under 50 cent online and still is at that price. American prices are just always fucking overcosted and retarded as all hell compared to European ones.
>>
Picked up three Champion of Wits for 16.73 USD

(pulled the fourth in a bundle)

Yeah or nah?
>>
whats the optimal rdw tech for an aggressive jeskai list?

I'm being a snowflake and the format has shit for info out so i'm looking for some inspiration
>>
>>54559923
Sunscorch Champion?
Blessed Alliance?
>>
>>54559646
I'm looking forward to the weird breakout card that pops up and ends up being the staple of the set, like ballista and hangarback. I'm thinking hollow one is getting slept on hard and its going to come up with a vengeance
>>
>>54558112
should probably run disallow and/or commit to memory. as it is you have no outs to a resolved planeswalker
>>
>>54561673
Why would you need more than a playset of any given card?
>>
>>54561716
Ask the scalpers who buy like 150 copies of Wheel of Fortune so they can play the stock market with cardboard for a children's card game
>>
>>54561716

Cause i'm a fockin jew. Not really though, i'm not buying the rest. And i'm not actually jewish.

It's a pickup at my LGS so I wouldn't want to build up a reputation for being a dick anyway.
>>
>>54561750
well if he was asking about picking up 150 of a card, there would be no question
>>
>>54561716
I accidentally bought 2 playsets of redhulk, 4 foil and 4 non-foil for the mardu reanimate deck posted earlier.
>>
File: Image.png (123KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
123KB, 223x311px
What's the deal with this card?

It's power is 2, but if it "enters the battlefield with X +1/Y counters on it", you get to draw 2+X?

And if you eternalize it, it comes back as a 4/4 zombie -- but do you get to use the ability again, drawing 4 (+X) instead of 2 (+X) ?
>>
>>54562182
You get to draw a number of cards equal to its power at the time of the ETB effect resolving. That means if it gets counters while coming in and before the effect finishes, you draw that many additional cards.
Most notable scenario is in non-Standard formats with stuff like Master Biomancer, for example.
>>
>>54555892
Mono red aggro is hard for them to deal with. Its too fast and too cheap. W/U monument does about 50/50 on wins against it. Better if it runs lots of control sideboard. Mardu vehicles can do a decent job against it. Also playing control is an answer though probably not what you are looking for.

Fast and cheap is the quickest answer to control. If you can toss down multiple threats a round they usually dont have the mana base to keep up.
>>
>>54562182
1st time youre double looting, second time Foresee
>>
Anyone else really happy with the amount od janky options the AKH block ended up giving us?

HOU really gave a ton of potential fun builds a way to be played and refreshed some oldies all the same.
Even if not all of those are obviously going to be meta relevant, I feel like this is the most block internal variety we've had since the 2-set formula started.
>>
>>54548080

seriously everyone watch that video

43:00 is where it happens if you want to skip the start of the match. but the climax is better if you watch from 38:00
>>
>>54563032
>>54548080
Yeah, that deck is pretty fucking hilarious.
>>
Soooo how does that GR Ramp deck work?

Survive until turn 5, search 2 Temples, drop Ulamog and hope you can win from there?
>>
>>54556022

One of my LGS sells singles for like double the price which sucks, but they sell out their rotating boosters for 2$ or 3$ and their old commnader decks for 20$, which is preety nice

If your city has several LGS's, then there's a reason why they're still alive and that's doing something right, or at the very least better than the others
>>
>>54556022
My local owner usually takes the online price, rounds it up to the next 1€ or the next 50 cent, then adds 2-3,50€ that you'd normally pay for shipping. If you only need a few cards, it's a pretty alright deal if your shipping would otherwise also amount to more money.
He's also a nice guy so supporting his store is also nothing to feel bad about.
>>
File: 1476771295264.png (251KB, 343x343px) Image search: [Google]
1476771295264.png
251KB, 343x343px
>>54563254
>>54563386

That's some fucking jewbullshit right there dude. My favored LGS just looks up TCGPlayer prices, adjusts to local currency and sells without a premium. As a result the turnover of their single is very strong, and while they may not be making much money off those sales directly, it encourages brewing and event participation, which inevitably lead to booster sales :)
>>
I've been trying to find a way to splash black in the mono red deck for things like scrapheap scronger, unlicensed disentigration, and claim to fame, but I just dont think its worth it. You end up having to cut out some deserts to make room for the dual manabase.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/whats-hou-guys-monument/

How does my sideboard look guys? I feel like getting more controlling is the answer to the tough matchups, not sure how much of a threat aggro is in my meta.
>>
A question: with what material does MtG advances its plot? Where can I read it? Flavor text alone would be not sufficient I think
>>
>>54560211
I can't see it. It's a very nice addition to Drake Haven/Faith of the Devoted decks , but best case scenario in other decks is turn 3 at the earliest if you hold on to two one mana cyclers, though none of them are really good enough to use in constructed.
>>
Gonna start going to Standard FNM next week to try and pick up the Renegade Rallier promo. Should I try to make Metalwork Colossus work somehow or should I just build turbofog?
>>
>>54565130
On the games website and in a condensed version in fat pack booklets.
>>
>>54565149
Look into "Fling Colossus" lists. Run some ramp and a bunch of artifacts to get your cost down, lands like Sanctum of Ugin and Inventors Fair that let you search out your Colossus faster, board wipes like Sweltering Suns to hang in until you can stabilize, etc.
>>
>>54565208

Hmm, all right, I'll give it a shot! Thank you.
>>
>>54559889
Maybe Europe doesn't have speculating Jews fucking up an entire hobby
>>
File: 1496278310443.jpg (88KB, 500x709px) Image search: [Google]
1496278310443.jpg
88KB, 500x709px
>>54565208
>fling colossus
>mfw it just clicked that I can run fling in the reanimator deck to do 5/6 damage, which in itself sacs the gearhulk which I can then reanimate to get another ETB effect
>>
>control is tier 1 in standard right now

lmaoooo
>>
>>54567422
>mono-red aggro is tier 0 in standard right now
lmaoooo
>>
File: List_UR.png (56KB, 923x322px) Image search: [Google]
List_UR.png
56KB, 923x322px
>Want to build?
I really want to build a UR aggro based around Enigma Drake, Cryptic Serpent et Bedlam Reveler.
Can I win a Standard Showdown with list in pic related ? (sideboard not finished)

Or maybe a turbofog, it sounds ultra fun.

>Personal spice?
I'd love to come up with something that wins with Insult followed by Fling.
>>
>>54567590
Drop Cancel for Disallow or Supreme Will. Disallow is just outright better, and Supreme Will can let you dig four cards deep into your deck when you don't need the counter.
>>
>>54567620
I thought about Dissalow but it's more expensive but I'll see if I can get some.
Thanks for the Supreme Will tip.
So 2/2 or 4 and 4 in side is case of no activated abilities ?
>>54567641
I already thought about it but unfortunately, split cards count as one.
>>
>>54567662
My bad, forgot they specifically say "instant and sorcery CARDS". Still just reads like one of WotC's retarded NWO ideas, like making 80% of fucking activated abilities sorceries on non-rares now.
>>
>Khenra prices going up
>Ramunap going to be 2$ each
>Hazoret going to spike to 10$ min
>Zombies still a thing

probably staying away from this stupid format until ixalan drops
>>
>>54568291
>not buying into whatever your preferred archetype is now
>implying uncommon land cycle will be $2
mono red is dope, don't give a fuck what you say
>>
>>54568291
This is what everyone gets for dismissing Khenra. Now he has eternalized to wreck your wallet
>>
File: 1481834250654.jpg (219KB, 722x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1481834250654.jpg
219KB, 722x1100px
I have a question and I'd like to hear some comments about it

Why doesn't anybody play "Ally" decks in standard?

I have a group of friends and we mostly play casual games. We don't really follow any special format, we just build whatever decks we like and have fun.

One of my friends built a black/white ally deck. It's almost standard legal except maybe one or two cards and it's the most powerfull deck in my group of friends.
He's legit only lost with it maybe five or six times.

It's kinda attrition tactics in the sense that he's got cards that pumps his life up VERY fast, cards that deal damage to the opponent very fast, all his allies get pumped with counters and all this happens whenever anoter ally drops on the battlefield. Which is all the time.

It's night unstoppable unless you hit him with flying and you have constant removal to get rid of his threats and "ally triggers"

My question is really, why doesn't anybody play with ally decks if they're so powerful??? He almost certainly wipes the floor with every deck because he can just sit back and destroy everything.

Do allies have a huge drawback or weakness other than flying and tons of removal so nobody uses them at the pro tour???
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 897x706px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 897x706px
Would this do well at my first FNM?

Zombie+Afflict -> Scarab God

Since it's aggro (afflicting) I should have a lot of stuff in the graveyard by the time the scarab god comes out. The one drop zombie jackal doesn't have afflict but it should buy time in case draws are unlucky. Bontu's Last Reckoning + Torment of Hailfire for the memes. Neheb might actually sync well with ToH.
>>
>>54568689

I dropped all the Khenras for Spellweaver Eternals.

Afflict 1 vs Afflict 2 tbqh
>>
>>54568689
>aggro deck
>plays counterspells
>>
>>54568576
There was a mildly popular BW aristocrats deck built around Kalestria Healer and Zulaport Cutthroat that saw a decent amount of play that's still in standard, but it just largely can't compete with competitive decks like UR Control, RG Pummeller, Temur Energy, BG Constricter, etc.
>>
>>54568717

I feel like I need to have a BIT of counterspells... Can I counterspell a counterspell if they try to counterspell my scarab god?

What if they have an exile all the things card? That could fuck me up so badly, being able to counter it seems very good.

I am a literal scrub and this is my first deck, so I am taking criticism seriously. (this shit's expensive so I don't wanna misfire any purchases)
>>
>>54568756
you can play whatever you want it's FNM. The people there are gonna tell you the same thing, cut the counterspells.
>>
>>54568767

And in their place just throw in more creatures?
>>
>>54568776
You're better off playing mono black Zombies splashing blue for Scarab God.
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 896x707px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 896x707px
>>54568790

Well can't do mono black zombies since it's about to rotate... I don't have anything from the two sets about to rotate out and the important stuff for MBZ is very pricey..

Does this revision look like an improvement to you?
>>
>>54568819
The Wildfires just seem pointless. You don't really have enough spells for his ability to actually have a payoff. Not even really sure how to make him worthwhile outside of I guess cheating out card draw spells in a more control oriented deck.
>>
>>54568819
Just cut the red since you don't wanna get the dual lands then. I don't know how the hell you're gonna cast a double red card by turn 5 or Abrade on turn 2.
>>
>>54568819
you're going to be casting dread wanderer on turn 2 a lot lmao
>>
>>54568844
More 3 drops then?

>>54568850
I can adjust mana if possible. Getting dual lands is no big deal as long as... oh shit they are about to rotate aren't they? Maybe there will be some in Ixalan :s

But I thought the Evolving Wilds might pay off to get me either a blue or a red, whatever my opening hand has...

>>54568862
Is that because I don't have enough black mana, or because i'm not gonna be able to play other shit on turn 2?

I hope I don't come off as if i'm defending a poorly thought out deck. I feel like it's probably 75% cooked at this point. Excluding sideboard, which I put almost 0 thought into.
>>
>>54568916
67% of your black mana sources come into play tapped on turn 1
>>
>>54568850

But I see what you mean I think.

I feel like it's gonna be 50/50 that I get either a red or blue mana on turn 2, and then it's a toss up on whether I have abrade or spellweaver - and that's IF all goes relatively well, I guess.
>>
>>54568916
It's because all of your nonbasics are tap-lands. You're going to be playing behind curve more often than not. We're getting reprints of the ally checklands, so you'll at least have more reliable R/B and B/U lands with Ixalan.
>>
>>54568939

Hmmmmm yeah I wasn't really thinking about that.

Won't they give us some decent dual lands in Ixalan? I feel like they wouldn't do this bolas planewalker if decent duals weren't on the way :S
>>
>>54568916
Foreboding Ruins playset is $6-8. That's the cost of a meal eating out.

I can understand not wanting to buy a single card that costs $10+ that will rotating out. But we're talking about a playset that will cost you $8 at most. And you can just sell them back for credit before rotation.

>>54568968
Ixalan has allied checklands. They will be dirt cheap (they're already cheap) when Ixalan comes.
>>
>>54568979

>Foreboding Ruins playset is $6-8

On it, thanks.
>>
If a Hearthstone streamer can day 2 a pro tour after getting 0 wins during the draft portion, so could I...
>>
File: vile-manifestation-61105-medium.jpg (31KB, 243x348px) Image search: [Google]
vile-manifestation-61105-medium.jpg
31KB, 243x348px
I'm planning on building a Vile Manifestation deck. A bunch of cycle lands, mill myself, draw spells that require you to discard and 2 Abandoned Sarcophagus. He can get huge fast and keep coming back. Countervailing Winds, Wasteland Sorpions, and some other control I think it will be solid.
>>
>>54569164
It works better in a God Pharaoh's Gift cycling deck. The power boost on top of becoming a base 4/4 can make them massive pretty fast.
>>
File: 1500256223403.jpg (32KB, 468x585px) Image search: [Google]
1500256223403.jpg
32KB, 468x585px
what are the odds of pulling fatal push from a pack? can you imagine paying $40 for a playset? xd
>>
>>54569164
you're better off not playing that shitty artifact and just actually win on the spot with gate + god-pharaoh's gift.

reanimate manifestation and swing for lethal since it has haste and
>>
>>54569182

fuck alpha investments
>>
>>54569217
what do you mean?
>>
>>54569226

I was watching some of his stuff, opening Aether Revolt boxes for his patrons.

Every time he got a FP he would scream "wow awesome pull! Fatal Push is FOUR FREAKING DOLLARS - everybody SELL YOUR FATAL PUSHES NOW"

Found him telling everyone to sell their fatal pushes at 4 multiple times.

It comes off as creepy too- he was like, literally ORDERING his viewers to sell their fucking fatal pushes lol.

It would not surprise me if he immediately snapped up every one he could at 4$.... and now they're 10$
>>
>>54569275
>>54569275

I can't blame him though, i'd do the same shit if I was him.
>>
>>54569275
>>54569281

Actually I take it back.

Watching him hose everyone is fucking hilarious.

I'm just upset that i'm gonna have to shell out the 40$ for 4 fucking uncommons.
>>
>>54569182
You can open a booster box and get none or only one.
>>
>>54498737
Is Jeskai Etherflux cheerios a good idea? I have a U/W improvise cheerios meme deck that I had some ideas for.
>>
Anyone know why Razaketh the Foulblooded is so pricey in Foil?

I'm speculating and sniped one at my LGS for 10$... Could flip it for at least double right now.

But I don't know why. Is the art nice or something? (I don't have it yet, picking it up tomorrow or the next day)
>>
>>54569182
Fatal Push is an uncommon with the same rarity than a rare
>>
>>54569334
It's a big fat legendary demon, with steady tutoring slapped on
EDH
>>
>>54569217
>>54569275
>shitting on based rudy

Go to bed, timmy.
>>
>>54569582

hello rudy
>>
Rudy currently has zero HOD items on his ebay.

What does it mean?

Who is he hosing?
>>
>>54569341
Only because Jews are hoarding them like it's fucking gold
>>
What are some new side board options for New Perspectives now?

With the removal of Marvel from the format and how fewer people now play Zombies, I feel like I should really adjust for RDW, Momument and UR control. Thinking about running at least 2 Dispel, 1 Negate and 2 Essence Scatter. Main issue is that I feel liked RDW will just run me over even with Radiant Flames.
>>
>>54560264
i play mono blue. my 'answer' to a resolved planeswalker is lay claim, lol
>>
>>54568733
It's not an aristocrat strategy though

his deck looks like this

Creatures:25
3 Hada Freeblade
2 Bojuka Brigand
2 Kalastria Healer
4 Kazandu Blademaster
2 Kor Bladewhirl
4 Ondu Cleric
2 Makindi Patrol
2 Bala Ged Thief
2 Hagra Diabolist
2 Munda's Vanguard

Spells:9
2 Fatal Push
2 Allied Reinforcements
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Join the Ranks
2 March from the Tomb

Lands:26
20 Plains
6 Swamp

Sideboard:14
2 Makindi Shieldmate
2 Bala Ged Thief
2 Hagra Diabolist
2 Munda's Vanguard
2 Allied Reinforcements
2 Join the Ranks
2 March from the Tomb

It just consistently overpowers you because his creatures become unstoppable all the while his creatures trigger damage to you and life gain to him. And I mean, an insane amount of life to him.

He's tweaking the deck so he can make all allies indestructible and also discard cards from your hand

What makes this deck so vulnerable that it won't work in pro tour stuff?? it seems like a totally broken mechanic to me
>>
>>54570346
Well first not all those cards are standard legal so some pieces of the combo are cut off.
Then, is it really better than RDW, Zombies or Monument ?
What were the matchups of your friend ? You mentionned casual magic but are there any of you that tried netdecking and brought a top tier standard deck against him ?
>>
File: arcaneadaptation.jpg (34KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
arcaneadaptation.jpg
34KB, 265x370px
WE
>>
File: sorcerousspyglass.jpg (29KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
sorcerousspyglass.jpg
29KB, 265x370px
>>54571171

WUZ
>>
File: priestofthewanderingsun.jpg (26KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
priestofthewanderingsun.jpg
26KB, 265x370px
>>54571176

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGZ
>>
>>54571171

In all seriousness though this has to be the ugliest fucking piece of shit i've ever seen.

>>54571176

And this is some cringy shit here too.

>>54571180

Don't really know what's going on here but this guy may actually be a kang.
>>
>>54571176
>>54571171
>being a neonazi
if whites really were superior why are you threatened by cartoon drawings of a black man
>>
>>54570487
He could easily make it standard legal and still make it very potent.

I've beat it a few times but most of the time it was because he didn't get the both mana colours. I won because of luck more than anything

I'm the only one in our group who follows standard and try to make keep my decks standard legal.
I have a black/green constrictor/ballista/electrostatic pummeler deck that has taken him out once or twice.
That's probably my most competitive deck and it's standard legal save for four "Terror" (I played it a lot around 18 years ago so I slip in some really old cards here and there) but I swap them out for four Murder or some other type of removal when I want to go standard legal.

The thing is, he can for the most part just sit out doing anything against fast aggro decks because most of his stuff are two and three drops.
You can only kill it with a lot of flying and removal.

It just seems so overpowered that I'm legit 100% surprised and kinda confused as to why nobody plays that style of deck.

I'm just thinking out loud and looking for some insight
>>
>>54565130

caring about the laughably awful "plot" of MtG is full autism mode
>>
>>54571614
People actually have been trying to workout the Aristocrat archetype--there are some lists that 5-0 online leagues.

A lot of things just kill it really hard. Like you said, removal. It's getting more and more prevalent. If you hit an Aristocrat deck with a turn 3 boardwipe you can recover easily.
>>
>>54571334

>not being a neonazi
enjoy your time at camp
>>
>>54571776
Hmm, my experience against his deck is there's never really enough removal to get through him unless you have a perfect draw and he lacks mana.

He also doesn't do the aristocrat type of sacrificing stuff to make him more powerful. His shit just gets more powerful all the time

My group of friends really want to see him to go a Friday Night Magic and see how it holds up in "the real world" because he usually slaughters everybody here. And I mean... I know I said we mostly play casual in a mix or modern and standard, but I think some of our decks are pretty good. His deck is just broken as fuck compared to the rest
>>
>>54571889
>implying you weak fucking mayonnaise doughboys could ever fucking hold me

you tried it once and it didn't fucking work
t. armenian who grew up in italy
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.