[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Idea for a new MTG format.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

-40 card constructed(though draft is also an option)

-20 life total, 30 if there's 3 or more players.

-Another set of cards is constructed by the entire group, 10 from each player. Most of the cards in this stack will be Bombs or major game-changing cards.
-this set of cards is set in the center of the playing group, and once per turn, in addition to drawing a card, you may pay 1 mana or 2 life to draw from the set.
-all cards from this stack of cards have their colored mana symbols treated as Phyrexian marks(may be paid with 1 mana of that color or 2 life)

Thoughts?
>>
>>54489529
might be fun if done right which is true for everything in the entire fucking planet
>>
>>54489529
>-20 life total
So both players lose when the game starts? Well, it's more fun than Standard at least.
>>
>>54489529
I don't understand the point
>>
>>54490415
Talk about lowbrow humor.
>>
>>54489529
So planechase?
>>
>>54490553
Somewhat. Planechase feels too random. The idea is to cause more shifts in gameplay and make for more interesting exchanges, but still keep the board-state in the Player's hands, whereas Planechase can drastically shift the game depending on which deck-types being played.

>>54490447
Commander is great but the gameplay is too slow and is kind of a stalemate.

Vintage and Legacy are broken formats. Gameplay is ultimately who can Jank out their Instant-Win first, and it's ultimately just a nuclear arms race, the worst kind of game.

Standard is... well, way too casual, and bland at this point.

Modern has just become Rock Paper Scissors Spock, where you can counter X, but not Y, and then your third opponent decided to play Z.

Draft is even more casual and bland than Standard... Unstable will be fun though.

Cube is nearly perfect... except it lacks deck personalization, though set personalization is interesting in and of itself.
>>
>>54489529
I've been casually trying to brainstorm a way for a drop-in, drop-out multiplayer format.

I just wanted to share.
>>
>>54489529
I think the game would be too straightforward. People would be just topdecking the bombs in hopes of the winning card. Too much of a lottery I'd say.
>>
>>54489529
In high school my friends and I played Junk diver.

you build a deck with 40 cards of two colors and 20 lands(10 and 10 split), and at least 30 power of creatures that can attack.

Then you sit down across from your opponent, and you exchange decks and hope they can't pilot the fucking thing.

We ended up banning a LOT of cards like apocalypse chime, tombfire, etc. It's very hard to sanely force people to build shitty decks, but not like, you know, BROKEN decks. Lots of discard costs, lots of echo costs, lots of chimney imps.

it's fun when people are in the spirit of it, which is make your opponent try and make garbage work, but they're still actually usable to some extent.
>>
>>54490527

Sure, what did you want to discuss?
>>
File: 1464318297187.png (586KB, 443x672px) Image search: [Google]
1464318297187.png
586KB, 443x672px
99 unique commander decks shuffled into one giant deck with one "Admiral" commander deck as the leader. No doubles of any cards including basic lands (other then wastes). 8 player minimum. Each player starts with 4000 life and draws 21 cards in their opening hand. Minimum hand size is 3 and each player gets 2 turns in a row.
>>
File: received_1597337636955181.jpg (13KB, 346x404px) Image search: [Google]
received_1597337636955181.jpg
13KB, 346x404px
>>54495457
>>
What about constructed standard variants?

>Both Ravnica blocks and Alara for multicolor shenanigans.
>Mirroden 1.0 and Mirroden 2.0 sans Phyrexian symbol cards for nostalgia (maybe any artifacts you want as well)?
>Kamigawa + Kaladesh more lowest power?
>Theros block + Amonkhet block + the inevitable Viking set for god fights?

Or if you want to get wild (and arbitrary), all the white cards from (for example) Rize of Eldrazi, the blue cards from Khans, the black cards from Shadows, etc.

>>54494061
That sounds kind of interesting. I've wondered about making bad-mediocre decks with friends and passing them off to each other.

>>54489529
It would at least be an interesting idea to try. Shake up your group's meta instead of always facing the same decks and situations. How many Grave Titans usually come out of a RW deck, or how many Wrath of Gods do Merfolk usually cast?
>>
>>54489529
Cedh

edh with a Canadian Highlander point system. also banned all commander sets commanders to make it more interesting. meant to invoke the old spirit of edh without it devolving into goodstuffs but still allow some cards to be played with restrictions.
>>
>>54489529
60-card singleton with Commander rules and a more aggressive banlist.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.