[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/standard/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 30

Why is there never a standard thread?
>>
File: Capture.png (1001KB, 894x749px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1001KB, 894x749px
I'm working on my first ever deck, looking to use it at FNM.

Here's what I have so far:

2 Abrade
4 Ammit Eternal
2 Archfiend of Ifnir
3 Cancel
4 Canyon Slough
2 Champion of Wits
3 Doomed Dissenter
4 Dread Wanderer
3 Dreamstealer
3 Fatal Push
4 Fetid Pools
1 Liliana, Death's Majesty
2 Liliana's Mastery
3 Lord of the Accursed
3 Never // Return
1 Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh
12 Swamp
2 The Scarab God
2 Torment of Hailfire

(pic related)

I'm very likely making some huge mistakes here, as this is my first attempt at a deck. (other than I don't have a sideboard yet)

But I think it's on the right track. My guess would be that i'm missing some 2-drop removals? Do I have to sack some high CMC cards to put more cheap instants/sorceries?

Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>54473922
There's nothing to speak about, just wait until the stores decipher the ONE WotC-approved deck of the season and buy that shit.
Standard has been a one-deck solved format ever since the frame update.
>>
>>54473983
It's fucking awful. You have a ton of useless cards, nowhere near enough fixing for double blue cards, cancel is hot garbage, same with doomed dissenter. It looks like you want to be zombies, but with none of the good zombies.
>>
>>54474202

Yeah I did want to be zombies. The good ones are rotating out soon so i'm a bit shook. What's wrong with cancel? Can't it cancel anything from instants to sorceries to planeswalker abilties? Is it just that 3 is too much? Doomed dissenter looks like nothing much but I thought the automatic 2/2 zombie was nice. Or will players just ignore it and keep taking the 1 hit dmg?
>>
>>54474202

Oh shit I just noticed that cancel was double blue. Yep, something will have to change. I see now.
>>
>>54473922
Because it's been shit since Tarkir/Origins
>>
>>54474339
Cancel is bad because it's slow and clunky in an aggro deck. If you were playing a control deck it would be playable. Zombies is rotating out, and if you're building for rotation, then you shouldn't try to be zombies. Doomed Dissenter does nothing. It's not an automatic 2/2, and even if it was it's still awful. Your deck is way too slow to be an aggro deck, which is what zombies is. Splashing red just for abrade is also a bad idea. Go up to 4 copies of cards instead of 3. Cut the slow shit that has no synergy like Archfiend of Ifnir. Champion of Wits and Dreamstealer are awful and slow too. Torment of Hellfire is too slow for an aggro deck too. Never/Return is worse than other removal in the format. Nicol Bolas does nothing in this deck and is insanely slow. Lili is also not great.

Go to mtgtop8 and look at the standard decks there. Look at all the cards in standard and learn what's good and what's not based off the best standard decks.
>>
>>54473922
Because standard has been a dumpster fire since BFZ. Apparently, Wizards forgot how to design for standard, along with how to make good cards, let along a good card game.
>>
>>54473983
What are you trying to do with this deck? Is it an aggro deck? Is it control? You're trying to do a couple of different things here, and generally, that makes your deck weaker.
>>
>>54474487

Thanks. Yeah Doomed Dissenter looks like crap I threw it in last second because I was lacking 2 drops. Okay I am checking out mtgtop8. I'll work on it for a bit...

>>54474549

Shit nigga I have no idea. I've only been "playing" for about a week. And by a week I mean that's when I first learned how to play. Working on my very first deck. I guess I prefer control play. I thought i'd do zombies but try to mass up a huge amount in midgame while using removals in the early. That's my initial n3wb logic at least.
>>
>>54474819
If you're brand new, don't bother getting into standard just yet. Stick with kitchen table magic, or do some drafts to learn how cards works and what cards are good or not. After you get some understanding of why decks are built the way they are, then you can start looking at playing constructed.
>>
>>54474851

Draft seems very complicated from my new perspective.
>>
>>54473922
Why is that not a Zombie?
>>
>>54473922
>why is there never standard

because /tg/ isn't a spike community
people here prefer modern/EDH becuase then they can just play complete jank brews and screw around

people will talk about how standard is shit and awful and whatnot but the reality is that the format is pretty much an open field right now with multiple different decks and strats.

the problem is that since standard is the most skill intensive constructed format /tg/ sucks at it and hates it

I am currently playing Bolas URb control and swept both FNM yesterday and showdown today
deck is pretty good
>>
>>54475315
The purpose is not to give you something easy to do. Drafting is cheap, and not much teaches you about card evaluation more than jamming drafts.

If you *really* wanted to just play standard you'd netdeck and play one of those. If your goal is to build lists for standard (or any format) one of the better ways to get the fundamental understanding of "how magic works" is draft.

At a higher level yeah draft and constructed are pretty different but for you? Anything you learn from one will apply to the other for now.
>>
>>54475315
Imma make the case, just because someone has to make the case to represent all formats: buy yourself a Pre-Con Commander, and have fun playing Commander and tweaking that deck if you're looking for a non-draft format.

As for Draft, it's a great format once you learn what to look for, though honestly Amonkhet is a terrible, boring set to get into Draft with. Wait until Ixalan, or better yet, Unstable releases. Unstable will be FUN.

If you really want to get into a fun Draft, and can't wait, find yourself 7 friends and each chip in $20 to buy yourself a nice Cube online, or build your own with cards you have.
>>
>>54475482

>bolas URb

in terms of slang -- does the small "b" mean you just "splash" black to get bolas out?

Thing is with my deck here >>54473983 i'm trying to stay with zombies to use the scarab god.

If you think those won't work together lmk. But other than that I probably want to do something along your lines. Other than the Cancels, is there anything glaringly obvious that I fucked up in the deck making it junk?
>>
>>54475315
I started with kitchen table and drafts, though I started with m13, so it was much more simple. Drafting isn't too hard. Just gotta remember BREAD. Bombs, removal, evasion, aggro, duds. Drafting really helps you learn how to evaluate cards, which if you want to build your own standard deck is huge. If you just want to play standard then don't bother with trying to build your own deck, look at the best decks online and build whatever one looks neat to you.
Here's a decent guide, though it's for an older set, the ideas still stand.
http://www.gatheringmagic.com/melissadetora-041212-a-beginners-guide-to-drafting/.
>>
>>54475583
Your deck is trying to be two things poorly. You either be zombies, which is an aggro deck, or URB control, without the zombies. Jamming zombies in a control deck just adds a few weak cards that really need a lot of other creatures and synergy to work well, while jamming high casting cost non-zombie cards in a zombie deck just slows is down and dilutes an aggressive plan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_deck_types
>>
>>54475583
b as in I have 7 black sources
4 Aether Hubs
1 Fetid Pools
1 Canyon Slough
1 Sunken Hollow

so yeah that b is just for Bolas and nothing else

he isn't over rated at all
every time I have cast him I have won the game because of him
he can turn bad board states around really fast and can act as a huge self heal

if they have control of the board and can't kill you the next turn you play bolas, plus him to 9, play something off the top of their deck and then say go

you now have a 9 loyalty PW threatening to generate free card advantage or mindrot them or just dome them for 7 which pretty much forces them to either deal with it or try and kill you and ignore him
most have elected to try and kill him which hasn't happened and just takes focus away from my life total giving me time to stabilize or take an advantage

yesterday at FNM my round 2 match was vs. some red deck and I resolved him game one used his +2 and hit a Neeheb the Eternal off the top of his deck
next turn hit him for 7 in main phase 1 with bolas and the swing with Neeheb and generate 11 extra mana in post combat main phase on turn 7
shit was pretty bonkers

if Bolas isn't a defining threat of this format it will only be because RDW is stronger than I am thinking it is other than that people should be prepared for him
>>
>>54474163
I like how it's entirely WotC's fault too

>remove interaction as much as possible because little Johnny cries at night when you doomblade his Craw Wurm
>it turns out the best strategy with no interaction or combo is just to jam the best creatures in standard on a curve
>>
>>54475648

ok that sounds good. Yeah I had the urge to crack packs and got an amonkhet deck builder and an hod bundle. I got decent pulls - 2x scarab god, archfiend, never/return, champion of wits... and a gideon of the trials I hope to trade straight up for a liliana's death majesty. Guess I was tryna make it all work together but I suppose maybe i'll work on a couple different specialized decks.

I'm gonna be really sour if I hold onto both those scarab gods and they crash in price... if zombies dies in ixalan then there should be no way it holds its value, unless it becomes useful in modern. (i'm about 50% into magic because secondary markets//economies are interesting to me)
>>
>>54475732
yeah except the best decks in the format right now are
RDW
UR(b) control
UW Monument
B Zombies
Temur Energy
and Ramp

one of these decks involves jamming their best creature every turn the others are all over the place with multiple different kinds of game plans
>>
>>54475766
>one of these decks involves jamming their best creature every turn
RDW, UW Monument, Zombies, Energy, and Ramp all jam their best creature every turn.
>>
>>54475790
Energy jams their best on curve creature every turn

Zombies is basically Merfolk but for standard and focuses on graveyard interaction and card advantage with tribal pump
they might jam their best creature for the first 3 turns but beyond that the deck involves quite a bit more thought
RDWs involves dealing as much damage as possible rather than focusing on high value creatures so that doesn't really apply
UW monument jams values fliers and is pretty much a token deck that wants to go super wide but doesn't really care too much about their creatures
Ramp jams their creatures on you after playing their ramps spells and mana dorks

none of these decks, except energy, are looking to curve 1 2 3 4 5 6 for maximum effectiveness and almost all of them rely on some cool gimmick that is exploitable and vulnerable to counterplay
just because you are bad at the format doesn't mean you should be bashing it because if you are gonna use that logic and try to apply it to these decks I could be a cunt and do the same thing to Modern
>>
>>54475816
>RDWs involves dealing as much damage as possible rather than focusing on high value creatures so that doesn't really apply
The deck is 28~ creautes and some burn spells. All it does it play creatues every turn. Same with Zombies, except removal instead of burn.
>UW monument jams values fliers and is pretty much a token deck that wants to go super wide but doesn't really care too much about their creatures
That still involves playing at least 1 creature a turn, and usually more because of how cheap they are, especially when you get a ton of clues and the creatures are cheaper because of monument.

>none of these decks, except energy, are looking to curve 1 2 3 4 5 6 for maximum effectiveness and
That's not what you said.
>one of these decks involves jamming their best creature every turn the others are all over the place with multiple different kinds of game plans
You didn't mention anything about curving out. Just jamming their best creautes. Which is what all those decks do.

I'm not bad at the format. Nor am I bashing it. I enjoy standard. It's not super great right now, but the decks are different enough, that while they all have the same idea, the do it in different ways, makes them neat.
>>
File: Fatal+Push+%5BAER%5D.jpg (29KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Fatal+Push+%5BAER%5D.jpg
29KB, 223x311px
can someone explain fatal push mechanics to me?

I get the first part. the revolt is where i'm not sure. by "this turn", if it is currently your turn, does it..... oh I think I just realized when it happens.

after he attacks and you block, you suicided something on the block, and then THAT'S when revolt is triggered, right? this card can only be played as EITHER the normal way and the revolt way, right?

that seems like one good way to trigger the revolt, any other obvious ways? guess the same thing in reverse - suicide attack and if he blocks you fatal push.

yeah that's a good card. am I getting it?
>>
>>54475929
>permanent
You don't need to have a creature die. It's one of the easier ways sure, but anything that makes a permanent you control leave the battlefield will work.
>>
>>54475887
>it turns out the best strategy with no interaction or combo is just to jam the best creatures in standard ON A CURVE

right I didn't say it
you did

the best strats in standard right now might involve playing a lot of creatures but the same is true pretty much all formats with the exceptions of a few unique decks
grixis shadow just wants to jam shadow or tasagur or gurmag asap
hatebears just jams hate bears asap
merfolk just jams merfolk
tron is basically just ramp and wants to jam ulamog or karn
death and taxes just wants to jam op white creatures
most decks in almost every format rely on jamming their best creatures asap

obviously there are exceptions to this but for the most part creatures are the main wincons of decks

>>54475929
yes fatal push is one of the best cards printed in like the last 2 years
crack an evolving wilds/fetch land and then fatal push with revolt
sacrifice a clue or some other token and then get revolt
crack any of the maps and search a land and revolt
the least efficient way is to have them block a creatures to get the revolt trigger
>>
>>54475929

Crack a fetchland. It works on any permanent, not just a creature. Fetchlands give you whenever the hell you want revolt.
>>
>>54475887
UW monument jams their best creature for like 4 turns and then often leaves mana open for counterspells and/or clues or to avoid overextension, have you ever even seen the deck in action? Besides it has such a low curve that there is hardly a thing like 'best on curve'

It has plenty of choices that aren't just 'lol slam down your on-curve cards', though I'm sure your imaginary non-linear deck has much more choices
>>
>>54475948
>>54475950
>>54475951

oooooooo shit.

LOL

thanks. I was pretty much waaay off
>>
>>54475955
no because the spell isn't modal
you select the target of the spell first and then the game state checks to see if you have revolt or not so first you would target THEN check if you have revolt
>>
>>54475929
>this card can only be played as EITHER the normal way and the revolt way, right?
And what do you mean by this? If you haven't had a permanent leave the battlefield the turn you cast it, you can only target something with cmc 2 or less, but if you did then you can target something with cmc 4 or less.

>>54475950
That wasn't me that said that.

>grixis shadow just wants to jam shadow or tasagur or gurmag asap
While making you discard, countering spells, drawing cards with thoughtscour, removing creatures.
>most decks in almost every format rely on jamming their best creatures asap
I know. I agree. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. I was just saying that that's what most of the standard decks you listed did.

>>54475971
Fair enough.
>>
>>54475998
>And what do you mean by this? If you haven't had a permanent leave the battlefield the turn you cast it, you can only target something with cmc 2 or less, but if you did then you can target something with cmc 4 or less.
Ignore this I'm dumb.
>>
>>54475978

ah thanks. yeah I deleted that Q since I just had that revelation on my first fatal push Q.

So if that's the case, then you can hypothetically use fatal push on... anything (creatures only?), and if you use it on something with CMC >4 it just goes to graveyard with no effects?

Because if it checks for revolt AFTER casting, and you cast it on a CMC=4, then you weren't obeying the normal casting rule of CMC>=2...
>>
>>54476022
Yes, you can fizzle your own fatal push like that
>>
>>54476022
>So if that's the case, then you can hypothetically use fatal push on... anything (creatures only?), and if you use it on something with CMC >4 it just goes to graveyard with no effects?
Yes. Creatures only. Yes.
>>
>>54475998
oh that wasn't you
nvm then

but on the topic of grixis shadow would you actually like to see cards like thoughtsieze on standard? do you want to see things like all the stupid as shit cantrips that deck plays and takes over a game in like half a turn?

>>54476022
creatures only as it says "target creature"

yeah you are allowed to target any creature with fatal push it just wont do anything if the conditions of destruction aren't met
>>
>>54476042
I played mono black devotion when it was in standard, so yes, I would love to see thoughtseize like cards in standard. Those alongside card advantage, removal, and good creatures is great. But only if there are other decks that can compete.
>>
>>54476059
There's a ton of good removal in standard, it's just not path of exile and lightning bolt.

There's like 3 red sweepers, fatal push, a conditional wrath, some really bad 3-mana wrath, wrath for 5 mana with lifegain, abrade, harnessed lightning, blessed alliance
>>
>>54473922
new hot deck incoming
r/w refurbish gift
11 mountain
4 needle spires
4 plains
4 inspiring vantage
4 insolent neonate
4 noxious gearhulk
4 combustible gearhulk
4 god-pharaoh's gift
4 refurbish
4 cathartic reunion
4 tormenting voice
3 madcap experiment
3 fiery temper
3 fumigate
sb:
2 nahiri, the harbinger
3 dreamstealer
2 sunscourge champion
3 abrade
3 hour of devastation
1 chaos maw
1 noosegraf mob
>>
>>54476059
well I mean zombies currently plays things like Transgress the mind, Cryptbreaker for card advantage, and pretty good creatures

the thing is we have all these effects in standard and almost all of them see use in some decks or in SB but they are just worse versions of the ones you probably want and this is for a good reason. If you remember back MonoB devotion format was basically the definition of a degenerate 1 deck format and Thoughtsize was a huge reason for this since they could stop pretty much any other deck from playing the game on turn 1 and then act with perfect information for the next 3 or 4 turns

Standard is just the place where we slow things down so that people can actually play a game and not have to deal with "Cycle Street Wraith x3, Play a fetch, crack a fetch, shock for 2, tap 1, play a 2/2 death's shadow on turn 1 and or thoughsieze and or inquisition you"

shit just isn't fun to play against and results in very predictable play patterns and games being effectively decided in in 2-3 turns consistently
>>
>>54476094
This looks pretty interesting but the cards that make you go off are pretty expensive at 4
>>
>>54476181
you have to hit refurbish or god-pharaoh as soon as you can alongside the gearhulks.
twelve artifacts are basic number for the madcap and the synergy with the black gearhulk is pretty good and against fatties definitely worth the price
>>
File: 1465945286506.jpg (57KB, 450x392px) Image search: [Google]
1465945286506.jpg
57KB, 450x392px
So what will the biggest losses to Standard be after rotation? I can think of Gideon, Grasp of Darkness, Selfless Spirit, Tireless Tracker, and Spell Queller off the top of my head. What else will cause a stir when it rotates out?
>>
I just realised I haven't even thought about mtg since Hour of Devastation released. I think I must have been looking forward to it but I guess I just don't care.
>>
>>54476608
Thraben inspector
Ulamog
Avacyn
Bygone bishop
One of the chandras
>>
File: IMG_8761.jpg (89KB, 618x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8761.jpg
89KB, 618x800px
Hour of Devastation means new stuff for my -1/-1 counter Hapatra deck. Grind // Dust for example is strictly better than Splendid Agony. Obelisk Spider also could bring much needed reach and defense while providing minor synergy with the rest of the deck.

Thoughts about other cards of the set?
>>
How good is this deck in the current meta? It's fairly rotation proof so I want to build it if it's not bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8MRwovwl3w
>>
>>54473922
The real question is, Will standard be worth getting into after rotation happens?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1483470064453.jpg (28KB, 653x500px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1483470064453.jpg
28KB, 653x500px
>Was playing Grixis Control during Kaladesh and Aether Revolt
>Only played a bit during Amonkhet just due to interest in other things

Is it worth coming back? Want to use a deck that can drop Nicol Bolas.
>>
>>54473922

Standard is the format no one wants to play but some people are forced to because they can't afford any of the non-rotating formats.
>>
I'm new to magic and would like to play a deck that's under $50 and fairly rotation proof, any good suggestions?
>>
>>54479398

also new here. i am op

everything from the sets "kaladesh, aether revolt, amonkhet, and hour of devastation" won't get rotated out anytime soon.

the other 2 sets legal in standard are gone in at the end of september so i'd avoid buying anything worth more than 1 dollar from those sets..

have you got an idea of a color you like?
>>
>>54479398

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-27-2-tix-two-tix-red-standard
>>
>>54475315
It is, but it's a lot less complicated than building a deck for standard from scratch. In standard, you have to know the meta and the card list for the last four sets. For Draft, you need to know up to two sets, tops. Also, Draft is a hell of a lot less expensive than standard, as long as you're not playing too much.

Also, if you're looking for a more casual format, go with Commander. The games are a lot slower, the cards are a lot bigger, and unless you're playing or playing against a degenerate deck, the games are pretty wild.
>>
>>54479651
>2 sets legal
Blocks, not sets. 2 blocks, 4 sets.

>>54479398
There are not really any good cheap standard decks that are rotation proof. Your best bet is a mono-red aggro deck because it can be made fairly cheap, and be somewhat fast. However, any other reasonable deck will probably out-value, or out-race you.
>>
>>54479398
There are no standard decks that are rotation proof, and especially not for $50. The only solution is to play mono-red in Modern, and you're looking at a real garbage version at that.
>>
is mardu vehicles safe post rotation
>>
>>54480061
Are blind people stupid?
>>
>>54474163
>WotC-approved deck of the season

The one they turn around and ban a month later so you can move on to the next WotC-approved deck of the season? Kind of glad I haven't played competitively since BFZ.
>>
>>54480320
But of course, the WorC-approved deck is the one they missed while testing
>>
>>54480061
>look up Mardu Vehicles lists
>See what cards in it are rotating out
>decide for yourself how valuable the amount of cards are that are leaving standard
congratulations, you've learned how to think critically all on your own
>>
>>54480320
>>54474163
>WotC-approved deck of the season
>they turn around and ban a month later

So MtG is Yugioh now?
>>
>>54478469
Nigga this is your standard
Play a few games to see if you find it fun then go and fuck every thing
>>
>>54480517
Since 4c control won a thing does that mean control is viable? Post control lists ideally in esper colors
>>
>>54480736
google "mtg standard esper control"

Do you really expect us to look up and print out a dozen full decklists for you?
>>
File: metalwork colossus.jpg (44KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
metalwork colossus.jpg
44KB, 265x370px
I'm not sure whether I want to play R/U Colossus or the Temurge list from Channel Fireball on Game Day.

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-temur-emerge-3/
>>
>>54480736
Mostly just BR is. UB is okay. Esper isn't great.

>>54481026
That temur deck looks fun. I love self-mill graveyard shenanigans.
>>
>>54481115
>BR
Meant UR
>>
>>54474163
Ktk theros was a fantastic format, standard didn't shit itself until M15 rotated
>>
MONO RED WILL WIN PRO TOUR HOUR OF DEVASTATION
SCREENSHOT THIS
>>
>>54475591

Stop giving people shitty advice. Building a limited deck with retarded ideas like BREAD is going to make them end up with a "bleh" deck. Drafting requires good knowledge of the set, as well as reading signals from other players, in order to know how to navigate your way through the draft. Evaluating cards is VERY hard for a new player, especially under a time constraint.

Newbros should start with 6 pack sealed, or (even better) a casual league at your FLGS. When you play 6-pack sealed / league, you can leverage help from other MTG Bros to help you build a good deck, and ask them to explain why some cards are good, and other cards are omitted.
>>
>>54480972
no doofus I was hoping we could have a discussion about control in general. sure I asked for esper lists but i'm not unaware of how to search for them. I was hoping to see your spicy homebrew perhaps?

>>54481115
BR? I thought UR was the hot control color, I haven't seen and BR lists. for UB I'd imagine just take out the good white stuff for grasp and maybe a black finisher (maybe gonti?)

anyway i'm considering something like this for my afternoon standard showdown, any anons have any advice?

4x Harsh Scrutiny
2x Essence Scatter
2x Bontu's Last Reckoning
3x Disallow
4x Supreme Will
4x Heiroglyphic Illumination
3x Glimmer of Genius
2x Fumigate

2x Cast Out

2x Gideon of the Trials
2x Dovin Baan
1x Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh

3x Torrential Gearhulk

26x Lands

Side
2x Fumigate
3x Lay Bare the Heart
3x Fatal Push
1x Kefnet the Mindful
2x Cast Out
2x Gideon's Intervention
2x Solemnity
>>
>>54481346
>>54481135
>>
>>54481346
I'd main pushes.
>>
>>54481274
nah it will probably be RB
>>
File: 1.jpg (26KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
26KB, 265x370px
>>
File: 2.jpg (10KB, 190x265px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
10KB, 190x265px
>>54484575
>>
File: 3.jpg (11KB, 190x265px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
11KB, 190x265px
>>54484588
>>
File: [wins u the game].jpg (30KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
[wins u the game].jpg
30KB, 223x311px
>>54484601
>>
>>54477581
depends on how -1/-1 you wish to get, are you hapatra focused, are you nest of scarabs bound, both?
and the only drawbacks of grind//dust is the white cost -.-, but i do agree it is miles better than splendid agony
>>
>>54484609
>tfw want to play bolas but don't want to play grixis like everyone else
>>
>>54475482
>because /tg/ isn't a spike community
>people here prefer modern/EDH becuase then they can just play complete jank brews and screw around
lol stfu, moron. Standard is, as other anons pointed out, a total shit show. Shit cards, shit decks, stupid bans and oh boy, more shit cards. Any format is better than this.
>>
File: Image.png (117KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
117KB, 223x311px
>>54481274
I think it is funny people don't see this for the broken anti boardwipe it is.
hour of devastation on a 5 mand board...
Oh look, enchanted creature takes ALL THAT DAMAGE and 4 survive, slap it on flash speed and profit
>>
>>54485472
sure, but what do you cut for it? and how often are people getting blown out by hour of devastation at this point?
>>
>>54485362
i feel you man, at least marvel never got to touch bolas
>>
>>54485509
it is a decent sideboard card for any deck that likes to go wide.
With all the wipes in standard.
Fumigate, hour, sweltering suns, bontus reckoning, there is enough threat to warrent a good sideboard counter to a counter wipe, potentially removing enemy creatures while still coming out ahead.
>>
>>54475482
>people here prefer modern/EDH becuase then they can just play complete jank brews and screw around
>every single modern thread starts with $$$ competitive $$$
>>
>>54476608
I'm going to miss Zulaport cutthroat but Aristocrats hasn't been a thing since Origins was still in standard anyway.
>>
I had lost hope for a post rotation standard because almost nothing from KLD/AMK interested me but I had a friend show up with Mardu Gearhulk Reanimator and it looked fun as shit. I just hope he won't mind me asking for a list I can work off of. I'm god awful with deckbuilding from scratch.
>>
File: 68.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
68.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>54485472
It's not that they don't see it, it's that it's irrelevant. I mean, people could also be running this too, and also hit literally every sorcery in the format.
>>
Is it worth it to run 2 claim//fame in the RDW shell that splashes black for scrapheap scrounger?
>>
>>54485598
But saving grace only protects against 2 of those

Good combo with Selfless Spirit though
>>
>>54485533
>win literally every game i resolve bolas
>marvel with bolas
I shiver at the idea of turn 4 bolas
>>
>>54485743
true, but that is blue, that is what blue does, says no to everything...
but a way for white to survive boardwipes that isn't a counterspell, is rare and interesting in a different way.
>>
>>54485472
holy shit /tg/ is bad at magic
>>
>>54486241
mb, got on a boardwipe tangent XD
>>
>>54486762
Holy shit dude stop beign so defensive about your tech card
>>
>>54486762
Let alone the fact that any deck that runs white right now doesn't give a flying fuck about boardwipes, and the ones that do just run selfless spirit. The only thing that would -maybe- benefit from this interaction is cat meme tribal.

And where the shit are you pulling abrade and push being uncommons from? Literally no one said that Push and Abrade wouldn't be good. Rarity has nothing to do with the fact that you're talking out your ass. Good job trying to deflect after being called out that your secret tech isn't as good as you thought.
>>
>>54486556
and well aren't you a ray of sunshine that just talks shit... at least counterexample...
>>
>>54485598
Why the flying fuck would monument care about HoD
>>
>>54475482
>/tg/ isn't a spike community
M8 this is prime b8
>>
>>54487152
Selfless spirit?
>>
>>54487705
HoD hosing selfless spirit shenanigans doesn't not make Monument just bounce back from wipes
>boardwipe
>completely fill the board back up the next turn with low cost creatures and 1/1 tokens
>enables value from a // Dawn in the graveyard.
>>
>>54485614
Which is a shame, because AKH and HOU actually have a lot of new stuff for Aristocrats, but there isn't any strong combo finish options like it had with Khans block.
>>
>>54480467
>so magic is YGO now?
Nah, YGO usually has 2 or 3 competitive decks in its power creep metas
>>
Anyone got any ideas what to run in New Perspectives in place of Traverse the Ulvenwald once that rotates?
Both fetching lands as well as fetching creatures is pretty damn important in that deck, though I suppose worst-case would be running Attune with Aether.
>>
>>54486524
>that is what blue does, says no to everything
Actually, Blue's job is to jam midrange-y creatures, just like everyone else.
>>
>>54475315
Draft and pauper are great formats though
>>
>>54489082
That and blue is good for tempo in formats other than standard
>>
Anyone else really hoping for either overstated vanilla/stompy mono-green beatsticks or good non-creature-based ramp in green coming with Ixalan?

Carnage Tyrant is a fucking brutal card and it'd be a giant fucking shame if even with that monster mono-green or any big, fat, expensive ramp deck with dinosaurs and Sifter Wurms won't be at least playable.
>>
>>54489306
I refuse to believe we aren't getting good ramp in Ixalan, dinosaurs are cool but their CMCs are way too high to be considered viable just off of what ramp is out now
>>
>>54489306
>Carnage Tyrant
Was that the 7/6 does nothing mythic?
>>
>>54489505
7/6 Can't be countered; Hexproof; Trample for 4GG

It does nothing but is a big scary dinosaur that's hard to remove. Enough shit like that is exactly what green should have as their game winning creatures in a set where green is focused on big things.
>>
>>54489616
>It does nothing
Correct. It's shit. It doesn't impact the board in any way once you play it. You have to do better for a curve topper.
>>
>>54489703
I didn't say it should be a curve topper. Shit like that should be a mid-range drop. They should use this set to go back to green's roots of being the color that gets the biggest fucking shit out the absolute fastest. Think Leatherback Baloth kind of creatures for every CMC or being able to easily drop Tyrant turn consistently without having to rely on shitty mana dorks.

A green deck throwing huge stuff with Hexproof and Trample at you every single turn for the entire game is going to put you on a serious clock, especially if they give them even just one way to refill their hand consistently. Mono-G Stompies has been a deck since MTG's inception and is still a playable deck in Modern despite there being way more good removal in that format, just because it's constantly dropping huge dudes.
>>
File: Hot fucking garbage 2.png (704KB, 779x758px) Image search: [Google]
Hot fucking garbage 2.png
704KB, 779x758px
I don't actually play standard but I made a complete trash deck for the format while was recovering from an awful hangover the other day
>>
Scarab god can twart U/W monuments Dawn plan. It exiles opponents creatures in his graveyard.

The problem with him is that it's a 5 mana sorcery speed creature.
>>
>>54489306
I can't remeber the leaks, but i hope ixalan is a timmy and tribal set
>>
>>54489899
Have you playtested it against anything?
>>
>>54490209
Naya is Timmy Dinos
Grixis is Aggro Pirates
Simic is Merfolk Card draw
White is Vampires

Tribal support is in each color.
>>
>>54490172
>spend 4 mana to get rid of a single card
>most likely in a big pickel because of the big as fuck board you neglected
Don't get me wrong, scarab god can generate shit tons of value, but he's jank as fuck
>>
>>54489616
eh, it makes champion of rhonas a bigger threat, turn 5 exert for a 7/6 hexproof dino, LOL
>>
>>54490234
I don't actually play standard and of the 10 or so games I've played on Xmage everyone has been playing a GR ramp deck that always pounds my shit in. Sweltering Suns and Ulamog is a bit too good for me handle.
>>
>>54475482
Come on /tg/ this was obvious bait from the start
>>
File: c4rd4r7_uYnUQ1Qu9j.jpg (163KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_uYnUQ1Qu9j.jpg
163KB, 850x500px
I'll bite OP.

I think /tg/ tends to stay more attuned to the older formats that cater to their collections like legacy/vintage/EDH rather than spend more money on cards that aren't even as powerful or fun. Standard prices have dropped so low now comparatively to say like back in Innistrad or new Ravnica that no one even bothers to post "Hey guise take a look at my $300 standard deck" when most would probably reply "Who cares?". Even modern has been removed from the pro tour so that's probably another thread that will disappear soon as most players that lose interest will move on to something else, maybe frontier?

I've been playing standard for 15 years and let me tell you something, it is the social honeypot of this game that gets you hooked but offers very little in the long run. If you want to become a better player, just draft instead or focus on the older formats. Standard is just gas that fuels WotC's quarterlys by offering a chaser rare to every set since new Zendikar that allows coperate to take vacations in the Bahamas. Hopefully this answers your question.

Who /rdw/ here? Kari Zev is my new cardfu.
>>
trying to make reanimator work with gear hulks and some other value cards wondering if anyone has any ideas or if there are any new cards that would work the sideboard is still work in progress

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hulkamanina/
>>
>>54491374
Me. Got everything ordered and I can tweak it from there, so glad RDW is viable again and this is coming from someone who hated the turn-three hordling outburst into stoke meme from khans.
>>
>>54491701
I played that a bit too much. I beat a buddy's Abzan deck with it and now he doesn't play Abzan anymore. RDW was a lot better when Hellrider was in standard. Devotion was alright too but too creature focused.
>>
>>54491893
I have a surprisingly good homebrew warriors deck that only lost to RDW since it was so easy to be 2 for 1'd but I did play rabble red right before khans rotated in. I do miss Hellrider and the variance of red decks from theros. You had the typical RDW, the heroic red/sligh, and the red devotion/big red that somehow could become a control deck in a time when monoblue was also an aggro deck.
>>
>>54492002
Had*
>>
File: download.jpg (11KB, 190x265px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 190x265px
*wins u the game*
>>
>>54492002
Anon, we don't talk about Theros. Ever. LIKE WHY THE FUCK YOU GONNA MAKE MONO BLUE AN AGGRO DECK WIZZZZZZAAARRDDSSSS, FUCKING WHY?
>>
I'm a new player that just got into magic. Why exactly is the current meta shit?
>>
>>54492133
Start here,

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper

HoD just dropped so things my change a little after a month but this is the current meta for standard.
>>
I feel bad for standard. It should be an interesting format but everyone is so competitive and WotC hates that for some reason so the format becomes uninteresting. I want to play a unique deck, and if you're deck is tested and better that's cool, but then everyone plays that deck and then I have to play my unique idea a giant 7 Mardu vehicles decks. Then wizards bans something and the format becomes angrier over it. Everything about standard just seems unfixable
>>
>>54492133

it's not

everyone here complaining is just bad (low IQ)
>>
>>54492002
>warriors
My dude. Theros/rtr and theros/khans was the greatest standard for me. I played black white warriors and it was the funnest deck to win fnm with especially since it was cheap as shit
>>
>>54492124
Theros wasn't actually that bad until MonoBlack got BOTH drown in sorrow and bile blight. Skullcrack worked around master of waves protection
>>
>>54492172
That's literally any competitive thing though. High tier is high because if it's matchups, you can make a homebrew that specifically beats a high tier, but then you have to consider how it plays against the other top tiers and if it doesn't perform well then it won't get you far.
>>
>>54492169
I misread the question, my bad.
>>
>>54486316
Could turn 5 it with Chandra
>>
So I want to play a red control build but don't want to shell out the money for a Chandra. Anyone got an idea what other decent red 4-drop would fit? Only thing I could imagine is Wildfire Eternal.
>>
>>54492172
yup, and add in the fact that new players are limited to a short amount of cards. New players want to have fun and try wacky things, then it just makes you lose, and lose, and lose... then you lose faith in the game and want to stick it to others, changing a game of fun to a game of greed. I need to have the best deck, I need the best cards, I need to win, I need value from my cardboard.
>>
>>54473922
I would probably be interested if I didn't have to worry about the decks I build becoming illegal in a few months.
>>
>>54490209
it is, play cards with big numbers slapped on them or play the tribe your favorite colors fits in.
>>
>>54484609
>wins you the game
kek
+2: topdeck is a meme. It will just get something useless.
+1: shit will be on the battlefield at that point in the game, not on his hand
-4: you almost kill your Bolas to take down one threat on the battlefield.
-12: the board wipe that you would normally need by turn 6-7.
>>
>>54492133
so it's not the traditonal shit meta where there are no options or one deck is just stomping the fuck out of everyone, it's really the opposite
The problem is WHY it's the opposite, low power levels and very little removal.
Even if you want a removal free format nobody has fun playing a weak power level because you just don't get to do anything to engaging.
>>
File: melting pepe wearing glasses.jpg (28KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
melting pepe wearing glasses.jpg
28KB, 480x480px
>>54493218
>wants to play control
>doesn't want to spend money on win-conditions
>>
>>54485612
that's quite literally ironic

>>54493894
you are so wrong it hurts

+2 puts him at 9 loyalty which means unless they have some card that just destroys a PW they have to commit 9 damage to him instead of you

+1 is also very very relevant because it punishes people for trying not to overextended into board wipes or for any kind of conservative play. Free mind rot every turn isn't bad

-4 wins games constantly, deals with all other PW in standard easily, and can clear away most problematic creatures except like Ulamog.

-12 yeah this one is bad you got that. should have said "Exile each permanent your opponent controls".

overall though he is very powerful and is honestly the largest reason that RDW is becoming a thing since any midrange deck basically just loses to bolas and the only real way to stop him is to win the game before he comes down
>>
>>54493929
>very little removal
Fatal Push
Harnessed Lightning
Abrade
Magma Spray
Shock
Murder
Unlicensed Disintegration
Never//Return
Stasis Snare
Cast Out
Prey Upon
Sandblast
Grasp of Darkness
Immolating Glare
Blessed Alliance
ect..
ect..
ect..

wtf more do you want?
>>
>>54494732
>they have to commit 9 damage to him instead of you
might as well use a "you gain 9 life" card. Also, 9 life at turn 6-7 is like, 1 combat phase.

>is also very very relevant because it punishes people for trying not to overextended into board wipes or for any kind of conservative play. Free mind rot every turn isn't bad
chances are he is going to remove useless shit and hit your bolas to the face with his creatures on the battlefield.

>-4 + basically kill your planeswalker
7 damage to do that is just weak.
>>
File: 1490148792011.jpg (75KB, 720x675px) Image search: [Google]
1490148792011.jpg
75KB, 720x675px
>>54492133
In comparison to the past year or so it's not since there are no more decks that take up over 30 percent of the meta with little variation like Naya (later Temur) Marvel, Vehicles, CoCo, cat combo, ect.

However, in comparison to what I played before, it still feels weak as shit. Even Theros felt like it has a higher powerlevel than what's in now. I can even justify Abzan taking up over 30 percent of the meta there because it was divided between Abzan Control, Abzan Aggro, and Abzan Midrange.

The major concern now is that after BFZ and SOI blocks leave, fucking finally and unfortunately respectively, the format is going to look like KLD block constructed splashing a few things like glorybringer and censor unless the new set really ramps it up.
>>
>>54494799
Considering it already won an scg open I feel like ur vastly underestimating him. It can also straight win you the game, 7 dmg is nothing to scoff at. His +1 is honestly very good vs the control math up, his +2 is just a way to get to ulti with upside, his minus is a finisher, or clears threat, remember your playing grixis, u have access to 3 different board wipes and all the removal in the universe, by the time u drop bolas, it's going to be on a near barren board, he's not the stabilizer like Ugin was but more of the final nail in the coffin that secures a win.
>>
>>54494799
ok so if you are letting your opponent keep creatures on the battlefield in this current standard you are doing something wrong

there is a reason that the main agro decks rely on either red haste creatures that get their damage in right away, going as wide as possible with tokens, or recursive creatures because single target removal is so powerful right now that trying to bank on a single creature staying on board is very unlikely
on top of that you have multiple powerful sweepers in Bolas colors all in the format right now with HoD, Sweltering Suns, Yaheeni's, and Radiant Flames
basically if you aren't clearing the board or keeping them below 9 power on board before you play him you fucked up
not to mention he pairs very well with gearhulk which comes down the turn before him, blocks some creature and kills it then flashes back a removal spell and kills something else not only leaving you with a 5/6 blocker but also killing 2 of their creatures in the process. Also underestimating the +2 is a really bad idea
in a constructed format your opponent has literally no reason to play worthless cards in their deck and you are very likely to hit something of above average value depending on the deck you are playing against and with decks being pretty much just creatures and removal you are going to get one of those two things most of the time which results in you either getting a blocker or killing one of their things

he can stabilize losing position and can turn a board stall/even match into a very favorable one the turn he comes down
the biggest fear I have had with him is just that he is going to get countered. Out of maybe the 30 of 40 games I have played where I have resolved him in, both IRL and on MTGO, I have not lost any of them.
>>
>>54494842
this I can agree with

I would honestly rather keep SOI and have Kaladesh rotate

fuck artifact sets
>>
File: 1500535473621.jpg (484KB, 1196x782px) Image search: [Google]
1500535473621.jpg
484KB, 1196x782px
Do you guys think Garruk will ever come back?
>>
Is it just me, or were 2 set blocks a mistake?
Sure, one of the sets normally got shafted (Dragon's Maze, Born of the Gods, ect.) but I felt like it improved because mechanics could get expanded upon and other things get utilized and support. Because from what we've gotten so far, the two sets per block hardly mesh together. Like everything about investigating and clues matter from SOI was dropped like a hard stone when EMN came out, or lands matter and processors for BFZ and OGW

On top of that from a story standpoint, it greatly helps the pacing and overall flow better because the first set introduces the plane and hints at what's going on, second set ups the ante and is the rising action, and third set is the climax. This is storytelling 101 so it's incredibly aggravating to see WOTC claim they want a bigger focus on story and constantly shoot themselves in the foot. Maybe I'd care more about Amonkhet if I knew what the place was like before Bolas started brainwashing the populous.
>>
>>54475929
fatal push checks on resolution for revolt clause to trigger so you can target a 4cmc creature and if you opponent has no response you have a permanent leave the batllefield and that 4cmc creature is destroyed
>>
>>54495641
WotC seems to agree. They're dropping the two-set blocks in favor of single-set blocks... y'know, screwing themselves even harder.
>>
>>54496504
There's no more blocks though. Just 4 big sets per year, with one being the core set. It dies give them some flexibility, essentially allowing for any variation of sets on three different planes or up to three big sets on the same plane
>>
>>54496504
I'm so glad your good at actually pain attention, since that's not what they said at all, they said they would make as many sets as needed to tell the story, so there will be 1 set blocks, there could also be two set blocks and potentially 3 set blocks pending on how much content they can churn up from specific planes and events
>>
>>54495145
maybe as "muh evil Barbarian that rapes everything in front of him"

Elf hitler took the only reason he existed for really

Fuck Lilliana tho
>>
>>54496504
Single big sets are a way better idea and they probably should have been doing this for a while now. Less strain on design space, less filler mechanics, and more solid drafting.
>>
>>54496933
The big thing is the return of core sets. This means that they don't need to seed sets with functional reprints as often, freeing up design space massively.

And also allows Standard to have those reprints consistently rather than on the memory of the designers of sets.

Without core-sets, Standard has been missing 50% of what it needs to function as an interesting format. And that 50% is the boring (but necessary) cards that used to be relegated to core sets.
>>
Hey guys mabey too late,but im running a Iroas commander,any suppgestions?-I have a few intants wins like zealous and kiki.Thanks
>>
>>54475790
RDW is playing 2/1s without abilities. That might've been insane value 8 years ago, but we have moved past that point now.
>>
>>54498520
Thankyou
>>
>>54498547
it's not about the value in RDW, it is about counter meta

RDW never asks how much value i can get, it asks "on what turn can i win with consistency"
RDW > Control
Control > midrange
midrange > RDW
zombies > everything without board wipes turn 3
>>
File: build a goyf.png (379KB, 379x519px) Image search: [Google]
build a goyf.png
379KB, 379x519px
Been trying out the U/B cycling deck that keeps popping up and its the most fun deck I've played so far in standard that wasn't mardu madness

Would a Grixis build of this deck work? Gives you access to things like cathartic reunion, desert cerodon, abrade for removal if you need it etc.
>>
>>54498665
I thought the cycle deck would excel with cycle cards. Like sweltering suns and splash in maybe sneak in a few ignigma drake, stupid 3 drop drake can only be grasped or explosived. Abrade is fine for sideboard material but i would think you would have to step on the gas for cycle enablers.
>>
Alright goyim, what cards are poised to shoot up in value post rotation.

I'm talking shit that's dirt cheap right now and likely won't stay that way.

Also, is Temur Energy or R/G pummeler likely to have anything from it banned? Nothing seemed broken in either deck tbqh.
>>
>>54485472
like i am not into standard right now, but back in my day boardwipes were black white or red, this one only counters the red ones.
>>
>>54498720

Sweltering suns seems incredible considering everything you eternalize comes back as a 4/4. I considered insolent neonate too as a discard engine and a good 4/4 menace to get back with god-pharaoh's gift.
>>
File: Image (17).png (129KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (17).png
129KB, 223x311px
>>54498794
If you are looking for a common it's this lil nigga right here.

When zendikar and inistrade rotate out and the void left by Zombies will allow this little guy to sneak in with a G/R beatdown decks and he will be the crux of the deck as it allows you not to have a dead turn, expect his value to rise to atleast 0.25$ a piece.
>>
>>54498912
u are running black?
suns is not for those, push is

i was thinking along the lines of bodies that avoid your one way board wipes amd swing in
>>
>>54498920
commons don't shoot up in value after a rotation. Is this a meme?
>>
>>54499329
Quick, buy 50 frilled sandwallas so you can sell them at double the price post-rotation and make 1 dollar
>>
File: 2017-07-24-10-51-20.png (371KB, 479x799px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-24-10-51-20.png
371KB, 479x799px
>>54499329
would i lie to you?
>>
I'll be very interested in reading Maros next state of design article.
>>
>>54499524

>Blah blah blah make terrible changes sound like it's better for players.
>Blah blah blah we don't care about you just our shareholders.
>Blah blah blah why don't you goyim spend more money on a lackluster standard product.
>>
File: 2017-07-24-11-00-49.png (36KB, 164x141px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-24-11-00-49.png
36KB, 164x141px
>>54499563
>Everything liz fine
>>
I made this because I wanted to play fevered visions and I like spirits plus I already have most of the cards.
This is a rough first draft and I'm interested in critique on the manabase and the creature count as well as what constitutes an adequate amount of reach burn in standard.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-07-17-jeskai-spirits/
>>
>>54475482
>because /tg/ isn't a spike community

Have you ever SEEN the Modern general?
>>
how do double cancels work?

a: fatal push
b: some spellblocker
a: another spellblocker

fatal push resolves?
>>
>>54501833
If you counterspell the counterspell? Yes, it resolves.

Spells resolve from the top of the stack down. First counterspell counters the one targeting fatal push, and so fatal push continues with no idea that anything has happened.
>>
File: dumb retard limited.jpg (301KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
dumb retard limited.jpg
301KB, 2048x1152px
So I made this in a sealed event recently and despite how easy it was to play I loved some of the cards in it. Have we found a Standard use for Neheb yet?
>>
>>54502346
Neheb is a premium Commanderâ„¢ and as such is good for basically nothing in standard. It's decent to turn mana into damage, but it's not really worth the body to turn damage into mana in standard
>>
>>54502346
He's too slow and competes with glorybringer for the 5cmc slot, and glorybringer is far better.

The weird thing is that he looks best in a mid-range or maybe even control deck, but what the fuck are you going to do with all that red mana in a control deck, and red has very little things to actually hit the face in standard to trigger Neheb.

And even in control glorybringer is far better for making free kills every other turn.

Maybe he's viable in a firebrand archer/thermo-alchemist deck as a top-end finisher?
>>
>>54502346
we can throw shit at the wall and see what sticks
>what is neheb
>5 mana
>makes more mana
>fat butt

maybe in some sorta g/r stompy as he himself makes mana to make you win more and able to protect him with blooming defense and if he connects, not fall behind, maybe something like
-blooming defense
-abrade
-combustion gearhulk
-2 drop mana dork of your choice or spell ramp
-can do snek god + 4/3 minataur and/or discard snek
-add 1 drop that taps amd gives minions haste, card is so unrelivant no one will use removal on it round 1
>>
>>54475413
The same reason Oketra isn't a Cat, Thassa isn't a Merfolk, and Heliod isn't a Donkey.
>>
>>54502346
PLay him in r/b to help cast for Torment of Hailfire
>>
>mfw i get matched with 3 cycling decks in a row and they all scoop within turn 5
>>
File: 1456834415312.jpg (60KB, 497x651px) Image search: [Google]
1456834415312.jpg
60KB, 497x651px
Posting in here because there isnt a Thread for it. I Want to get into Magic but don't want to invest into cards that rotate in a month so I'm thinking about doing some drafts to atleast get some grasp of how to build a working deck (without just copying 300$ Meta Decks).

Is that a worthwhile Idea or should I just wait for Ixalan?

I've heard bad things about Amonkhet/Hour so maybe Ill draft Kaladesh instea?

From all the people I watched they seem to know every single cards Powerlevel and possible combos while at the same time are counter.picking their opponents based on which cards they get handed, how do I even learn to evaluate stuff like that?
>>
>>54503900
> how do I even learn to evaluate stuff like that?
Play drafts
Read articles on drafts
Watch videos of good players drafting
There was just a limited GP last weekend, on day 2 they followed some of the best players in the world while they drafted
>>
GOOD 4 MANA PERMANENTS IN MARDU GO
>>
>>54504109
Gideon
Ballista on 2
Chandra
Mindbreaker Demon
Jackie Chan
>>
>>54504109

Deez Nuts
>>
>>54504109
Gideon
Avacyn
>>
>>54504109
AKOUM FIREBIRD
its like mantis rider but it costs 1 more mana and they gave it some extra non-italic flavor text that you cant use
Gisela
She has a weird card back but also has pretty good stats if you like 4 drops that can get killed really easily
Midnight Oil
WOW! just like outpost siege!!!
Impetuous Devils
A VERY strong red 4 drop that does an impression of a shitty removal spell
>>
File: Image.png (115KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
115KB, 223x311px
>>54486524
>a way for white to survive board wipes is rare and interesting

Ummmmmmmm
not pictured: Avacyn and Hero of Goma Fada
>>
>>54504829
>>a way for white to survive board wipes is rare and interesting

What does he meme by this?
>>
>>54491374
>Even modern has been removed from the pro tour

Actually, modern is back on the protour
>>
>>54473922
>Why is there never a standard thread?
Because there are no standard players to post in it.
>>
>>54504109
Butcher of the Horde
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
Olivia Voldaren
Nahiri, the Harbinger

Oh wait sorry we're talking about standard here. Yeah there's nothing.
>>
>>54505057
>there's nothing
>Nahiri the Harbinger
It's only for 2 more months, but she's still in.
>>
So has anyone decifered the entire page of ixalan leaks yet? I know spoilers has like 1/3 of them figured out but that's it.
>>
>>54505235
Not yet, but there's at least 1 more legendary creature that seems to be UW or WB. Can't really read anything on any of those cards that aren't yet deciphered already.
>>
>>54505235
Unless there are way more leaks than I am aware of Mythic Spoiler has at least an educated guess on pretty much everything
>>
File: brt4RB4.jpg (355KB, 767x1024px) Image search: [Google]
brt4RB4.jpg
355KB, 767x1024px
>>54505577
There's this:
http://imgur.com/a/2Oq02
>>
>>54503950
is this a 2mana boros walker?
>>
>>54506764
Tibalt can be played in RW ;^)
>>
>>54505577
Mythic spoilers are missing a few which are in the mtgsalvation forums but no pictures for those
>>
>>54492124
>he didn't play junk reanimator in rtr/the
I feel sorry for you senpai.
>looping angel of serenities against mono b
>whipping back ODB for dat sweet exile interaction against control
>courser and lotleth troll stonewalling mono red shitters all day
>scooping to scavenging ooze and rip
There were so many spicy reanimator targets to pick from. Whipping back a Lord of void against mono b, hitting a gray merchant for a 14 point life swing is probably my favorite moment in any match of magic ever.
>>
>>54506990
I love reanimator decks simply for the fact they use cards everyone forgets about, like Lord of the Void.
>>
>>54496465
If you cast fatal push targetting a 4 CMC permanent and you let your opponent say no responses you can't then sacrifice/trigger revolt because the spell will resolve.
>>
>>54507052
I had one flex spot in my reanimator targets that I tried to switch every couple weeks.

Sire of insanity
Master of cruelties
Giant adephage
Lord of the void
Abhorrent overlord
Armada wurm
Based primordials

Glorius times.
>>
>>54506990
>tfw wanted to play that
>wanted to play so many decks in RTR/THS standard in general
>>
>>54506990
Speaking of Reanimator, Mardu Reanimator looks fun as fuck.
>>
4 syndicate trafficker
4 yehenni
1 gonti
4 fatal push
4 gifted aetherborn
4 grasp of darkness
1 never/return
2 yehenni expertise
2 bontus last whatever
3 midnight entourage
2 aetherborn marauder
4 scrap heap scrounger
>>
>>54507611
Forgot servo schematic
>>
>>54505577
they don't have a single one of the planeswalkers and quite a few others.
>>
>>54503900
Play Blue/Red Control. Most of those cards are still going to be viable into the next rotation.
>>
>>54475482

I make the most fucked up brews and bring them to FNM standards, or showdowns, and still place decently.

It's just that /tg/ will always complain about how unfair standard is because no one is intuitive enough to build something fun. Isn't magic supposed to be fun?
>>
>>54476683

Spell queller

And personally, Thalia
>>
>>54492067

This and Neheb 5 drop is just stupid
>>
>>54509386
dudes, just thought of something crazy, Esper cycle, check it out

minister of inquiries (U) 1/2 (self mill 3 for 1 Energy)(gain 2 energy) x 4
Archfiend of Ifner (BB3) 5/4 (-1/1 for all opponite on cycle Flying)(cycle 2) x 4
Champion of wits (U1) 2/1 (discard/draw/eternaliz) x 3
Winged Shepherd (W5) 3/3 (fly/vig)(cycle w) x 3
Curator of mysteries (UU2) 4/4 (fly scry1)(cycle b) x 4
Vile Manifestation (B1) 0/4 (+1 at cycle)(cycle 2) x 4

Gate to the afterlife(3) x 4
god pharos gate(7) x 3
Cast out(w3)(cycle w) x 3
Refurbish(w3) (artifact return to battlefield) x 3
compeling argument(u) (self mill 5) x 4

Aether Hub x 4
Concealed Courtyard(B/W) x 3
Fetid Pools (U/B)(cycle 2) x 3
Irrigated Farmland (U/W)(cycle 2) x 3
Island x 4
Plains x 2
Swamp x 2
sideboard
Fatal Push(B) x 3
Censor(U1) x 3
Bontu's Last reckoning(BB1) x 4
Transgress the mind(B1) x 2
Fragmentize(W) x 3

It is still possible to have fun, make this weird Sadisi like deck in standard
>>
File: 1469282344011.jpg (120KB, 875x639px) Image search: [Google]
1469282344011.jpg
120KB, 875x639px
No one knows true pain until they play against superfriends in this standard and can't draw into hour of devastation.
>Gideon of the Trials is out
>emblem'd already
>him and Dovan just constantly upticking so nothing I can swing with does dick, the ones not targeted can't get past the wall of token chump blockers.
>meanwhile, Sorin and Ajani are building to ults
>even if ooT dies, he could just drop an AoZ or another ooT
Thread posts: 231
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.