[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Enchantments

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: Crystal Sword.jpg (436KB, 3262x1212px) Image search: [Google]
Crystal Sword.jpg
436KB, 3262x1212px
what kind of enchantment system + fluff are you using right now? I have pretty much no idea which one to use.

also magical equipment thread
>>
File: 1383520155941.jpg (625KB, 1084x2167px) Image search: [Google]
1383520155941.jpg
625KB, 1084x2167px
>>
Magic is sentient in my setting, though magical items vary by time period. In the old times when magic was dormant and the gods were not yet created from it, it attached to anything close to other sentient beings. I.e. it seeped items in magic that were significant to adventurers and other interesting people, causing them to gain somewhat separate sentience on their own. These are the magical items, all sentient, and gaining powers as the user continues doing things to inspire and empower it. So if you're a murderhobo your sword may become a sadist that tells you to torture people and that gets buffed every time you kill a creature. They could also be created though that shit is hard.

Once magic reformed and gods came down to walk the earth, magical items no longer increased in power nor did new ones get created. The gods taught humans of alchemy, advanced smithing and so on, so it's in this time there is most creation of demonsteel swords, suits of mithril plate armor, and so on, as well as consumable magic items such as potions. If scrolls count that also goes, as wizards were very rare without the organization and information that the gods brought. Then the gods died and the world fell into disarray again, but it didn't really impact magic items and such.

Systemically, the different materials you can make weapons/armor/certain other things from have mechanical effects that make them roughly competitive with others but superior to mundane items and generally surpassed by magical ones. Magic items are a lot of different things and come in different variants and functions. The two can stack because I don't see why they wouldn't, but a smith capable of e.g. forging mithril and then give it to someone who caused it to gain significant magical power, before the age of enlightenment, would be extremely rare. The consumable/minor items are mostly D&D-style ones focused on utility (mostly created for everday uses, not specifically for adventuring).
>>
>>54470564
ethereal and haste; they look the coolest too
if I could have three I'd put on diamond for the perfect sword
>>
>>54470564
>2.1
>explotion is still typod
>>
>>54475437
That's probably deliberate, but only you are stopping you from bootlegging 2.2
>>
>>54469966
1 effect from the material of the weapon, even if multiple materials are used
1 effect from the structure of the weapon, whether due to exotic design or improved technology. This will often be the "masterwork" enhancement, but could lead to trick weapons instead.
1 effect from a magical enchantment, ranging from passive buff to on-hit spell casts and more.
1 effect from the "Identity" of the weapon, from rumors, legends, prophecies, or simply aesthetic

That's kinda what I want to push for.
>>
>>54469966
Dunno,something like
>A ancient blessed relic from a long forgotten god,this sword is warm to the touch and slowly heals the wielder over time.
Enchantments should be passive only
>>
>>54475646
does "can hurt spirituals" or "is constantly on fire" count as a passive enchantment?
>>
>>54476644
>>54476644
The first one is passive I guess.
The fire one is active,its on fire
>>
>>54478784
I'd only consider it an active enchantment if it has to be manualy activated
>>
File: goldensunsword.jpg (251KB, 734x950px) Image search: [Google]
goldensunsword.jpg
251KB, 734x950px
>>54481339
Well the fire sword can't be on fire all the time,it would be unnecessarily dangerous and would melt/burn the carrier.
Maybe it should be activated via resin or magic phrase?
Thus being a true active enchantment
>>
>>54469966
Some unorthodox ones:
>A nipple ring containing the spirit of a cow deity, it produces revitalizing milk once a day, healing minor afflictions and curing some stat drains

>An enchanted eye-sticker that allows you to see through whatever it is stuck on (e.g put it on the back of your neck and you can see behind you)

>A whistle enchanted with the spirit of a powerful frog king, it emits loud croaks which summons a pestilence of frogs (maybe raining down from the sky)

>An enchanted bar of soap which makes anything washed with it magic proof, but whose effect diminishes as the item gets soiled

>A pair of enchanted earrings which allow one to hear the thoughts of the one worn by the other (and vice versa) without their knowledge. Even more fun when you only find one of the earrings and the other one is already worn by some unknown person

What do you guys thing?
>>
File: 1500008825232.gif (279KB, 269x350px) Image search: [Google]
1500008825232.gif
279KB, 269x350px
>>54481646
>a solid gold pendant resembling a large Queen bee
>any garden decorated with this exquisite pendant will have a abundance of pollinating gold bees which will harvest the purest honey known to mortals
>>
Ars Magica's enchantment mechanics are great, albeit crunchy and difficult to extract from the rest of the system.
>>
>>54481899
And as a side-effect the bees begin to defend the garden once the care-taker passes away
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.