[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Youtube/Web DMs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 10

File: Spoony.png (208KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Spoony.png
208KB, 400x225px
I've been watching a few of Spoony's videos lately, and I started to realise a few things about the successful "Youtube" DMs - Matt Mercer, the Nerdachy guys, Drunkens and Dragons, etc.

I wouldn't want to be a player of theirs.

I don't know what it is. They seem to be quite set in their ways, although some may have wise information or perhaps good tips; it feels as though there's too much opinion. In all honesty Nerdarchy shows the least of this - But Drunkens and Mercer can speak utter dogshit sometimes. Fuck, Drunkens comes off as far too smug for my taste. Mercer's alright as a storyteller, just not a great DM.

Then I watch Spoony, Matt Colville or the Chris Perkins Q&A's and I feel like "fuck, I wish he was my DM." They feel less bullshit, they feel like they don't cater to a basic audience (Colville does do this a tiny bit though, which I pass of because a lot of his other work is pretty spot on.) Spoony and Chris seem to run good, captivating campaigns, not to mention being livewires themselves - in a good way.

Anyone else have similar/differing realisations?
>>
File: 800 (3).jpg (31KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
800 (3).jpg
31KB, 800x450px
I'm not actually shitting on Mercer or Nerdarchy, I still watch their videos.
>>
I dunno about those people you mentioned, OP, but Critical Role is pure cancer that needs to be excised from the hobby with fire.
>>
>>54460581
> Critical Role is pure cancer

Oh, I completely agree. It's just Geek and Sundries audience to be fucking simple.
>>
Do you mean old Spoony or the bitter hermit Spoony's become now?
>>
>>54460654
Old Spoony mostly. Before he moved into his dungeon office. Apocalypse Stone was a fun video though.
>>
I quite like drunkens though I take his opinion w/ a grain of salt. He clearly puts in a lot of effort especially with the terrain which I love. Chris Perkins is GOAT tho
>>
Matt Mercer seems like a solid guy and a great GM, but I'd hate to play in an improv acting group instead of how normal people play Dungeons & Dragons.

Adam Koebel is a good GM and all his games feel more like typical RPG campaigns, but that makes them boring to sit down and watch.

Random YouTubers/streamers with less than 500 views on their videos, those are pretty comfy to flick through. Just a few friends playing over Roll20 and they decided to put it on the internet. Obviously it's a mixed bag, but it's a nice break from overproduced e-celebrity shows.
>>
>>54460405

Matt Mercer knows how to be entertaining for people watching, and if you watch his tips he'll teach you how to be entertaining for people watching, too.

Matt Colville knows how to make a game entertaining for the people at the table, and if you watch his tips he'll teach you to make a game entertaining for the people at the table, too.

Everyone else is somewhere in the middle. Chris Perkins *is* the middle.
>>
Favorite d&d YouTuber to watch is ProJared, but I started watchinf him when he just did video games, so I already had an idea of his personality and preferences. He's entertaining and his opinions are usually spot on, or at least well thought out.
>>
>wanting Spoony as a GM
>ever
Every time I watched Counter Monkey I wanted to strangle the wrongness out of him
>>
>>54461020
Different tastes I guess, I prefer less high fantasy stuff.
>>
>>54461113
So do I, Spoony is just generally wrong about tons of things.
>stupid enough to join a Vampire LARP, did zero research on the factions, gets bootyblasted when he gets assrammed by established big cheeses
>is fucking blind as a bat, as his video on dice proves
>defends all the bad things about old D&D, including fucking 3d6 down the line

He'd be shit and you know it
>>
Who is the worst youtube DM and why is it Sargon?
>>
>>54461317

Matt Mercer. Love him as Mcree, but fuck is he awful as a DM.
>>
File: 800 (2).jpg (39KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
800 (2).jpg
39KB, 800x450px
>>54461222
>Vampire LARP
iirc, he said that he was a fan and had a good grasp of the factions, and chose one of the less popular factions in the area because he by design is a contrarian. But from what he said, it sounded like the most stale ass larp anyway.

>Blind
True

>Defends Old D&D
I don't mind watch AD&D videos, can't speak for playing it though.
>>
>>54461579
Joining a Vampire LARP at all is risky, they're known for being shit. Also that rambling on about "good guy factions" when, especially in Vampire, there's only varying flavours of bad since at the end of the day your character's still going to have to commit some form of assault to survive. Dude needed to fucking wake up.

And 3d6 down the line is shit for all editions of D&D.
>>
>>54460405
>Fuck, Drunkens comes off as far too smug for my taste.
What the fuck are you even on about? Hank is mega chill. Dude just likes to drink beer and play D&D. Never even seen a hint of smug coming off the guy.
>>
>>54461980
>Never even seen a hint of smug coming off the guy.
>Creates a near 40 minute video jacking himself off to his own campaign

Ok.
>>
>>54461993
Name one fucking youtube DM who hasn't talked about their campaign. I mean, shit, by that logic Matt Mercer beats his goddamn dick raw in front of a live studio audience every week.
>>
>>54462043

You missed the point, there's talking about a campaign and then there's saying how flawless it was.
>>
>>54460405
>being livewires
What does that mean?
>>
OP - have you seen Spoony ACTUALLY DM? Not just talk about it, but actually do it.

He's awful. Check out his old Pathfinder games on youtube. Some of the worst DMing I've ever seen.

Granted, he may have actually been good in the past, before the e-fame and depression and alcoholism. But everything of him actually DMing that exists is awful.
>>
>>54462506
What, specifically, is bad about Spoony's DM'ing?
>>
You don't know the first fucking thing about Spoony as a person my dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srp-pPmCjc8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KB5R73YGuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Aqw51ACvu4

The guys a pathetic, fragile little manboy. The best DM is one you can stand in real life and this dude doesn't meet that low, /low/ fucking benchmark.
>>
File: LoonySpoony.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
LoonySpoony.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
Spoony talks some good shit in his counter monkeys, but is shit tier in actual games.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (13KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
13KB, 320x180px
>>54460405
The two Matts, Colville and Mercer, seem to like each other, but there's one video that Colville put out that tries to describe a fundamental difference between their two DMing styles. Might be worth looking at if you're thinking about the sort of game you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2OiQ5ruiGE

Short version is that Colville tries to make a setting with its own consistent rules, and Mercer's setting is always changing to reflect aspects of the PCs. Two different styles, both capable of delivering drama, but with very different focuses. Colville says in that video that his players have to work at being important within the setting. (He also talks about ways to make this feel awesome, like when NPCs go from fearing and distrusting the wandering murderers to welcoming and supporting the wandering heroes.)

Personally, I prefer Colville's videos. He's also brilliant when paused at random moments.

I also quite like his chargen system where you roll 4d6k3 in order repeatedly and stop when you get at least two 16s. It's probably another manifestation of the difference between him and Mercer; you can't turn up with your character already built and expect to be accommodated, you must roll to see who you get to be. (And you get to be awesome, because the setting isn't about your character but the game certainly is about you.)

https://astranauta.github.io/statgen.html#0
Give it a roll, stop when you have two 16s. No stopping early, you can't keep that 15,15,15,18,15,15 Wizard.
>>
>>54460799
Koebel is cringe incarnate
>>
>>54460405
>I wouldn't want to be a player of theirs.
Me neither, specially Mercer.
>>
>>54461993
>doesn't understand the Internet, basic economics, advertising, promotion, or basic human social interaction.

Ok.
>>
>>54462852
Colville is top tier. He has ruined me on other video creators.
>>
>>54461317
Sargon has been a DM?
>>
@54462922
(You)

>>54462525
>>54462616
Is he really that bad?
>>
>>54461317
He has a very bad attitude, he's very argumentative. Which is the same problem I have.

But he does also have to play with Vee who is aweful.
>>
>>54463797
He's done two games. One with Lordkat and the cancelled pathfinder game. Watching the pathfinder one made me want to play D&D in the first place
>>
>>54462852
>>54463172
>Shilling for an SJW

Fuck off!
>>
>>54463870
Lordfat was so awful in that game.
>>
>>54462852
16, 15, 11, 9, 16, 17
Not bad. Mountain Dwarf STR Valor Bard here I come.
>>
>>54463234
He DM'd a game with Vee, Scrumpmonkey, and Arch Warhammer
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhxakbChjMJPF1BfjBu6q1GABjt7eBzfP
>>54463843
Vee did nothing wrong. Early on he was roleplaying a meathead, and later everyone second guessed everything he said based on his previous character's decisions, even though he was a new character and turned out to be right most of the time.
>>
>>54464047
I guess your ight. But Vee did something alot of players do, making assumptions instead of asking the DM for information and then getting pissy with their assumption is wrong.
>>
Mainline Web DM. Jim and Pruitt are great in my opinion.
>>
>>54463870
>Canceled pathfinder game
The one where he killed two characters in the first session because they didn't bring slashing weapons?
>>
>>54464338
Sounds to me like they killed themselves by not running away. But then again, Pathfinderfags are entitled shits that will blame their DM the second the game world isn't balanced specifically to revolve around the axis of their character and be "winnable" in every encounter.
>>
>>54460405
He hasn't killed himself yet?
>>
>>54464455
>>54460405
So, I occasionally hear this spoony guy mentioned but I don't know anything about the fellow.

I'm guessing he was an early actor on the online TTRPG video scene, and judging from how people talk about him he eventually just completely lost his marbles?
>>
>>54464409
Projecting pretty hard there buddy. But I do think it is pretty much common sense to give your players some slack when they're clearly not as versed in the intricacies of your shit system as you are. Especially if you're a fucking AD&D grognard. It probably didn't even occurred to them that they could've ran away, or that they were going to get bushwacked in the first place.

Because trashing the characters that they've clearly put some thought into seeing as they even bothered to give them funerals is not how you're going to get them interested in learning or coming back to play with you again. Case in point, this is the "canceled" pathfinder game.
>>
>>54464683
If the players committed suicide by cop and the GM didn't explicitly take away their ability to run away, then it seems extremely self-evident to me whose fault that is.
>>
>>54464621
Ol'' Jim can give you a rundown on him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KB5R73YGuY
>>
>>54463876
>muh bogeyman
>>
>>54461967
Eh, I can sympathize since I like my characters to be good or at least sympathetic, it makes the darkness of the setting more tragic that way
>>
>>54464338
They went into a situation that they weren't prepared for, running away and coming back later was always an option.
>>
>>54464683

Yea, not everyone wants a combat sim. Some people want an rpg with some combat. Not sure why people think it's ok to slaughter players and be like 'ya fuck you players haha you werent rdy!'
>>
>>54461317

I actually like Sargon and watch all his stuff, but I couldn`t sit through his GMing, it personally offended me as a GM.

>>54463876
He is a regressive leftist, but his videos are (usually) non-political and mostly spot-on and good advice.
>>
>>54464847
>muh weakass shill comebacks
>>
>>54462852
>I also quite like his chargen system where you roll 4d6k3 in order repeatedly and stop when you get at least two 16s.

I played a one-shot with this rolling system, not going to lie it was pretty obnoxious. The party stat spreads made us really imbalanced class-wise, which was kind of irritating when dropped into a combat-heavy module built for a party that was at least somewhat better built than ours.

It's also kind of stupid on its face. The rolling process is a pain in the ass as you continuously have to keep scrapping stat spreads where you get like a single eighteen and two fifteens and it's like "nope you have to throw it away" even though I would have been totally fine with keeping it (though that could have just been my GM). Also, under this system, a character with a 16/16/3/3/3/3 stat spread is considered viable whereas a character with a 18/15/15/15/15/15 spread is considered too weak, which is just fucking retarded.

Overall, honestly, would not recommend. I'm sure someone can think of a better system that preserves the idea of the system without the stupidity.
>>
>>54466127
Y-yeah, anon, /tg/ is s-supposed to be a s-safe space with n-no SJW shitlords to m-microaggress against m-me.
>>
>>54461222
>stupid enough to join a Vampire LARP, did zero research on the factions, gets bootyblasted when he gets assrammed by established big cheeses
But then he gets his revenge in spectacular fashion. That's what made it such a good story.
>>
>>54462506
He did seem pretty bad in the Pathfinder games, but before those, he DMed a game with a bunch of the other TGWTG guys on Lordkat's stream, and he was okay then. I wonder if the recordings of those sessions are still out there somewhere. They were pretty fun. So was Lordkat's Wyrmwick campaign.
>>
>>54462852
If you have to devise weird rules for rolling just so you'll never end up with a few uncomfortably low scores, why not just fucking use point buy and be precisely as good as you want in the things you want...

Or just skip rolling and use all 18s or whatever. What's the goddamn point.
>>
>>54462852
>I also quite like his chargen system where you roll 4d6k3 in order repeatedly and stop when you get at least two 16s

Also known as "4d6k3 4 times, plus two 16s". Is he an idiot?
>>
>>54464899
That's just it. Nothing is saying you can't be a reasonably good vampire, but almost every other NPC is going to be too jaded to try, and since every faction has older, jaded vampires as the majority...

>>54466589
>But then he becomes That Guy in spectacular fashion. This is okay because the other players were assholes.
Fixed
>>
>>54466712
Because muh gygaxian naturalism or some other pathetic excuse
>>
File: Yes.png (131KB, 315x263px) Image search: [Google]
Yes.png
131KB, 315x263px
>>54462906
I agree.
If you do not, read his twitter for five minutes
>>
Drunkens and Dragons guy is probably "that GM"

>Only evil people irl would play an evil Pc
>And I don't play with evil people
>Is totally ok with mages, elfs and such
>>
>>54466956
Well he's drunk half the time.
His mechanic videos are very interesting though, plus I'm sure anyone would kill to have a dude that makes terrain to be their DM
>>
Happy jacks are here
>>
>>54462852
I liked his videos and he has good advise but, I can't watch his stuff anymore; without thinking that this man seriously believes that if you did not like the new ghostbusters movie you are a facist.
It's not even like he shoots at the people actually hating it for the four women in it.

He specifially called out people in the comments who said the old film was better. He would have none of that and insisted that the old film was on the same artistic level as the new one and people who disagree do this only because they want Hitler to come back.
>>
>>54467004
His terrain is amazing and many of his ideas are too; but sentences like these are huge red flags for me that he tends to be over controlling when something does not go his way.
So basically I love his advise but would not want to play with him as a GM; maybe as another player.
>>
>>54466816
>reading anyone's twitter
>>
>>54466490
>The party stat spreads made us really imbalanced class-wise
How so? Not enough people covering every base tactics wise? Also Coleville's method was you have to re-roll unless you have two or more 15s
https://youtu.be/0K9mKpAMREU?t=10m27s
which could be amended to "you MAY re-roll if you don't have two or more 15s" so that you can play someone with all 14s. Also 3s in 4d6keep3 have a 0.08% chance of occurring, though your comment about wonky stats is still something I agree with.
>>
>>54464336
Webdm is pretty great, they can really help with getting into a monster and making it seem better vs some caricature
>>
>>54466738

His system lets you keep 17-18's, as well.
>>
>>54466712
>so you'll never end up with a few uncomfortably low scores
But the method isn't about not having low score, it's about not having scores that aren't high enough. I agree that point buy is simple enough, and not "bland" like Colville thinks it is though.
>>
>>54466738
I prefer 4d6k3, swap any 2 scores for 16s, but yeah, he doesn't seem to believe that keep it simple stupid is good design advice, he loves Mike Mearls' retarded initiative system cause it "adds tactical depth and I don't care about speed of play".
>>
Does anyone have any recommendations for RPG video series that aren't D&D-based? I've found some nice podcasts about various things, but nothing in video form yet.
>>
>>54467116
>>54466490

There are certain classes I just dislike and certain ones I don't, it might be fun for one game but I wouldn't want to stick with this as the stat gen system I use forever.
>>
>>54461222
Sounds like he isn't the guy in the wrong here.
>is asked to join a LARP and gets no heads up about some no fun spergs that will torture new characters from the DM
>3d6 for life, you point buy safety net baby
>>
>>54468045
Yeah, Colville's method is specifically for newbies who will try to bring a character concept the system doesn't support, his example being Wolverine.
>>
>>54460654

Does anyone ever mean current spoony when speaking in a positive light?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJb7ed3ueLk
>>
>>54464791
Honestly that doesn't even scratch the surface with Noah.
>>
>>54468236
There's a current spoony? I'm pretty sure he hasn't released or even done anything for a fucking year now.
>>
>>54468309

Current Spoony refers to how he's been for the last...I'd say 5 years. That's current Spoony until something changes and he becomes a different form of Spoony.
>>
>>54468152
>I view risking having a useless character before the game even begins as a sign of being a better roleplayer
Put your bravado back in your pants.

Also,
>Vampire LARP
That shit is a breeding ground for the worst in White Wolf fandom nine times out of ten, if you aren't at very least cautious you deserve all you get
>>
>>54460405
Fuck all these dipshits that made D&D normal and flooded the hobby with dumbass antifa types.
>>
BETRAYAL
>>
>>54468585
BETRAYED ME
>>
>>54468345
Current Spoony isn't how he was 5 years ago though. Since he was till making content at that point. Good Spoony turned into Bad Spoony with the shitty sketches and tgwtg cancer, who then turned into Worse Spoony/Phantom Spoony with the patreon.
He's probably going to reach his final form and turn into Dead Spoony at this rhythm whenever he inevitably loses the goodwill of the last few fans that he has left or his dangerhair girlfriend finally dumps his ass for someone else who actually has money and a job.
>>
>>54468392
>somebody criticized my safezone, waaah
Go back to your level 1000 character in Skryim, adults want to have fun with actual characters.
>>
>>54468392
Have you watched the 3d6 video even? He just rambles pointlessly about how it's no big deal and keeps contradicting himself without ever saying any relevant reason you'd do 3d6 down besides him liking it more. And that's pretty much all of his videos on GM advice.
>>
>>54468686
Not that guy but I feel like it's kind of a reflection of him being a player of older editions. When I look at OSR games the stats don't really matter and the spreads are wider to get from 0 to +1 and such, the most important ones are your HP from what I can tell, since everything adjusts and increases as you level up.

Then again he also played Pathfinder, so that's probably more to encourage people to not be buildfags, instead of building up something invincible you come in, roll, and build your character off what you get.
>>
>>54468666
>my retarded quadriplegic Baldrick clone has character, who cares if he has at best a 25%-35% chance of doing anything

Again, 3d6 down the line is bad even in older editions. And what if I don't want to play a basket weaver with some kind of horrible wasting disease and the charisma of a decaying carcass?
>>
>>54466738
Sorry, what does the k stand for?
>>
>>54461222
Not going to include when he joined a L5R game, and got brutally slaughtered because the players were jerks that didn't explain how Rokugan society worked?
>>
>>54469305
"k"eep
>>
>>54469305
"Keep". It presumably works if you type it into roll20's dice roller.

>>54469418
I didn't watch that far, what I saw already made me unreasonably angry over how much of a thick cunt he was being
>>
>>54469305

"Keep". It comes from the system L5R uses.

>>54469418

Speaking of L5R, yeah, those players were dicks. If there's any game where you need to let players take back their mistakes, it's that one.
>>
>>54468511
There's an incredibly easy way to filter those antifa types out of your group, by running the anti-SJW campaign:
>Catholocism is objectively the One True Religion, patron deities are replaced with patron saints
>All humans are various shades of white, all cis-gendered and female adventurers are given the stink-eye
>Orcs are objectively dumber and more criminal than humans, and exterminating them down to the last child is an objectively good act
>The once great High Elf civilization collapsed into an impoverished shithole where the undead roam the streets because it fell victim to the ideology of socialism and universal basic income, believing that just letting all the work be done by the undead would solve the problem
Anyone who doesn't get triggered by all that shit is a right lad.
>>
>>54468511
>those faggots who expect trannies to be in fantasy despite magic making it easy to change genders in the blink of an eye

>"if white, cisgendered men are the norm in your setting you don't know shit about fantasy"

Please kill me.
>>
I have a Spoony story
I was at ShadoCon, the video where filmed the Sorbo Counter Monkey video

During the Q&A after he told that story and a couple others I asked about his Final Fantasy XIII-2 video and he said that he hasn't completed the script because he needed to write the fight scene or something and was creatively stuck

After the event I went up and shook his hand and told him that I like his videos and he seemed happy to hear that

I have no clue what he's up to
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHRlAdRyNVg
>>
>>54470504

I'm going to get trigger by you inserting modern ideologies into a fantasy setting. Be from the right or left, they have no place in fantasy settings that tkaes place before the industrial revolution. It makes no sense to speak of nationalism or communism shen there are no nations for the former or industrialization for the later.
>>
File: 1498359167994.jpg (35KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1498359167994.jpg
35KB, 640x360px
>>54470504
>all cis-gendered and female adventurers are given the stink-eye
does this mean transgendered female adventurers are okay?
>>
>>54471341
Fucking idiot.
>>
Demonac is the best.
>>
>>54460799
>Random YouTubers/streamers with less than 500 views on their videos, those are pretty comfy to flick through. Just a few friends playing over Roll20 and they decided to put it on the internet. Obviously it's a mixed bag, but it's a nice break from overproduced e-celebrity shows.
I kind of agree, but at the same time production values vastly improve the enjoyability of a show. If two players are impossible to hear because of their mics/audio mixing, that's a pretty big detractor.
>>
>>54471417

Fuck off. People should remember that keeping ideologues to yourself is a wise policy. It doesnt matter if you are right, left, uo or down.
>>
>>54462852
>4d6k3 in order repeatedly and stop when you get at least two 16s
This is so dumb holy shit. If you want to have a balanced party and not have someone roll low stats, then you use point buy or even just standard array. You can even make a table of spreads that are balanced and acceptable, and roll on that. After rolling for years, my entire group has agreed that for anything but a very short/very lethal campaign, rolling stats detracts much more than it adds. I even feel it second hand when watching Critical Role for example and one guy has 18 primary stat while others have 22, I don't see how slight stat diversity (eliminating samey dump stats between characters of similar classes) is worth that.
>>
>>54470504
>patron deities are replaced with patron saints
Fuck that's actually really cool, I'd play that.
>>
>>54466534
>shill gets found out
>fails at defending shitty web personality
>pretends he roasted everyone instead

Apply yourself.
>>
>>54466534
Fuck off, Shill.
>>
>>54461222
Does he defend the idea of restricting classes based on race?
>>
>>54465001

This, but then again players are infamous for doing this shit.
>>
>>54471777
>>54471808
>still replying
>still triggered through the roof
>still crying

:)
>>
>>54460405
>>54460885
>>54462852
Went ahead and checked out a Colville video. He seems pretty fucking sharp and I love that he talks quickly. Will probably continue consuming his things.

>>54467043
Even having read this, I was more focused on his distinctive lower teeth profile as he talked.
>>
>>54469418
this makes me really sad. l5r is such a weird, different society. but now spoony hates it because of some dick ass players.
>>
>>54471777
>>54471808

Oh shit! You caught me! I'm shilling for a guy I've never even watched!

I'm just a random anon who thinks you fuckheads who get TRIGGERED about SJWs every three fucking posts need to go deepthroat a cactus.

It's ok though, you can still go back to your basement troglodyte cave and pat yourself on the back knowing you really told it to a racist shitlord shill trying to push his problematic viewpoint SJW agenda!
>>
>>54460799

I don't really understand this attitude. Surely the alluring potential of D&D and the like is the opportunity to bring an alternate world and characters to life... By acting things out... The mechanics simply provide a base for the performance of imagination.

I find the preponderace of ooc bantz and mechanics focus in typical games to be incredibly disappointing. If you're not interested in really acting out a world, why not just play BattleTech or some properly autistic game?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQhMkyDS5s
>>
>>54471261
That's an improvement from what he usually does whenever someone asks him whenever the next video is going to come out, which is to throw a shitfit.

I'm always baffled at how much importance and effort he seemingly puts into these awful fucking sketches when the only thing people want him to do is just riff on shit, which is something he's able to do effortlessly. Guessing its just something he wants to do for his own personal gratification and no one elses at this point.
>>
Colville seems like the nerdy dad that taught his kids to play D&D.

While all the other kids probably play on their mobile phones all day.

They'll probably have a more fulfilling childhood, but they'll probably be social outcasts.
>>
Anyone here watches High Rollers? I just cannot get into it, don't know why
>>
>>54475595
>They'll probably have a more fulfilling childhood, but they'll probably be social outcasts.

What sane person would or should really give a shit about that by this point, even a young person, like your peers by now are kids with fake glasses and shitty hair who only communicate via meme slurries instead of sentences, hell with em.
>>
>>54476556
The early arc is pretty slow going, since most of the group had never played DnD before.
I find it comfy though, less hyper than Critical Role. I guess the smaller group size helps in that sense.
But, I like that no one tries to game the system in their favor either, they just try to play to their characters and let the dice roles decide.
>>
Spoony seems like he'd be a really shitty person to play D&D with or be around in general.

Here's him interrupting someone else's game (a game he wasn't a part of) to rant about bees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJb7ed3ueLk
>>
>>54468880
>Again, 3d6 down the line is bad even in older editions.
No it isn't, while they could hurt a character, the vast majority of the time they weren't significantly hampering, especially in combat. The whole +1/2 set up is why 3d6 doesn't wprl.
>>
not yt but i like the Roleplaying Public Radio guys best
>>
>>54471341
You miss the point. The intention isn't to be accurate or even plausible, it's to trigger SJW so hard they leave the group while shouting "I JUST CAN'T EVEN RIGHT NOW". You can play whatever you want with the group that passes this test.

>>54471364
Only if they're traps
>>
File: junpei is not amused.jpg (18KB, 629x590px) Image search: [Google]
junpei is not amused.jpg
18KB, 629x590px
>>54460405
I agree with most of your post but
>watching Spoony
>year of our lord 2017
>>
>>54477632
>weren't significantly hampering
>attributes were directly roll-under target numbers in old-D&D for everything that wasn't combat
You think I was fucking pulling that 25%-35% figure out of my ass?
>>
>>54477632

It can still screw you, just in a different way: arbitrary ability restrictions can place random limitations on what classes you can play and, more importantly, what classes are available to the group.
>>
>>54460405

RPG games tend to attract rules lawyers/legalists/autists/sperges/etc. i.e. the socially and emotionally immature. So does Minecraft, BTW.

It is refreshing when you find DMs and players who not only act like normal people, but actually are.
>>
>>54460405
>I wish he was my DM

I am about as diehard a fan of Spoony as you'll find. I even watched every episode of Wrestle Wrestle and have never seen a wrestling show. But I think he has a lot of bad qualities and habits when it comes to GMing. Based on the stories he has told, it seems obvious he has super strict ideas about how characters should behave, in terms of morality, in terms of general behavior, and in terms of where they fall on the railroad vs sandbox scale. When people do things he doesn't like, he gets super mad and super vindictive fast.

If you've never watched his Shadowrun: The Code video, it's basically him gloating about killing his PCs because he didn't approve of their actions on moral grounds. In Shadowrun. He made a whole video ranting about how people who try to play evil characters are just wrong and terrible, and another berating people for not playing Lawful Good enough. He also made a video called the Jedi Hunter, where he just bragged about how he had ruined an entire session of a game by fucking with the GM, because the GM, at his suggestion, had asked everyone to play Jedi.

Now, he has a lot of good ideas and advice, and I think he's run some good games. I have absolutely played with GMs who were much worse. But I think he would be incredibly pedantic and controlling, and if anyone rubbed him the wrong way, he would start punishing them in-game, which I consider one of the biggest warning signs of an unstable game master.

Perkins seems pretty good, but also pretty boring. He's a GM equivalent of a well made movie in a genre you don't give a shit about.

Couldn't get through even one video of Mercer's show. Too many people talking over each other, and too much of that cringey, "let me tell you about my character, her name is Moonbeam, she's beautiful, but you better not cross her" style roleplaying I have seen enough of in real life.
>>
>>54467173
>Requiring absurdly rare rolls just to be functional
This is the problem with modern D&D. It was better when there was no functional difference between 8-14 and that value was good enough to use.
>>
>>54478830
It's always been that way.
>>
>>54473665
This was also a couple years ago
>>
>>54478485
I think he's fine, proof is how he went along and improvised during the Thieves World campain. Or maybe that was his one moment of genius, but regarding the other examples you brought up:

In Shadowrun the players had it coming, both on meta and in-setting level, killing so many people during the run. Do that and you get elite cops on your ass, that's how Shadowrun works. Getting a satisfaction from doing it to the players after they fucked up the campaign so bad is a bonus.

Jedi Hunter was him doing something other than brain-dead lightsabers and having fun with it. I don't think it was done out of malic.
>>
>>54478485
The shadowrun video is a bad example. Those players were being absolute dipshits, some of them proving to be genuine that guys with the follow up vampire story, they totally deserved to get shat on by the deathsquad.

If you want a good example of him getting vindictive on a clueless party for no reason and bragging about it, just check out his circle strafe story again.
>>
I'd rather have a DM like Mercer but a player like Antwiler.

Spoony sees tabletop as a game of super-high stakes blackjack with the DM as the dealer, expecting his players to count cards because "Why even play DnD"? People accuse him of being a Killer DM, but true or not that's not the problem - the problem is the man outright recommends metagaming to avoid dying. But his playstyle is generally cool, just don't let him play a bard.

Mercer has his flaws with encounters being too easy, but remember the critical aspect of DnD without which it's all meaningless is immersion. A non-stop requirement to metagame for survival makes immersion impossible, and with Antwiler it's either that or he kills you.
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.