[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help choosing a system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: 1485788081033.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1485788081033.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Hi everyone.

Basically just want someone to help me figure out some things for two systems in particular.

Can the Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPG be refitted to the KotOR era? Does anyone have experience with that kind of thing, and does it work well? I've never tabletop'd Star Wars but I know a lot about the setting, and /tg/ seems to generally agree it's a good game.

Secondly, where do people recommend one start with the World of Darkness games? I've seen Hunter and Vampire recommended in particular. I don't know much about WoD other than there is some weird lore separation from new and old WoD? Can anyone tell me more about how these games work and which of them are generally more entertaining?

Thanks. :)
>>
File: 1490291399977.jpg (654KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1490291399977.jpg
654KB, 1600x1200px
I guess I'll just bump this periodically, not sure how fast the board moves anyway.
>>
>>54454126
>Can the Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars RPG be refitted to the KotOR era
Yes, it can be done. I don't know why would you want it, but it can be done. You WILL need to refluff some things, however, and that requires a DM open to refluffing.
>Secondly, where do people recommend one start with the World of Darkness games
They're all trash.
>>
>>54454285

I prefer the thematic flavor of KotOR to the movie era. Prosperous Sith Empire and whatnot. I am the DM and I am willing to refluff, but all the mechanics for Jedi and whatnot are more or less transferable?

Could you expound upon why WoD is trash? I vaguely remember enjoying a oneshot game I played several years ago of VtM.
>>
File: World of Tumblr.png (876KB, 831x1076px) Image search: [Google]
World of Tumblr.png
876KB, 831x1076px
>>54454341
>Could you expound upon why WoD is trash
It's an extremely dated setting, created specifically to appeal to a now dead subculture, goths. Now that goths grew up, the writers decided to find a new audience in...
Well.
>>
File: world of darkness preludes.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
world of darkness preludes.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>54454817
I've always liked the concept of urban fantasy, but not only WoD isn't the only setting in that genre, it's also the one with worst community, by far. If your party isn't filled with "woe is me" trannies, it's filled with munchkins.

Before you ask - yes, picrelated is a real screenshot from a licensed WoD game.
>>
>>54454817
>>54454341
>>54454285
Personally I'd recommend Star Wars D6 for any form of Star Wars game, but if you're running a KOTOR era game if you absolutely must have rules that fit I guess you could run the Star Wars SAGA games as those have an official KOTOR campaign guide (though I'd still recommend just using that KOTOR campaign guide and refitting it to work with Star Wars D6).

As for World of Darkness most people outside of WoD general are going to shit on them because they have a tendency to attract a... certain crowd, and for the politics of modern day WoD.

Classic World of Darkness will likely be more so what you're used to, setting wise, if you've seen any WoD material, it was huge in the 90s and played pretty much entirely because players like the fluff and not for the rules (which can be a bit clunkier than New World of Darkness). Classic fluff can range from cheesy to god awful to really cool as there is so much fluff available. For classic usually the easiest to get into would be Vampire: The Masquerade (get the 20th edition book if you want the most cleaned up rules). I'd personally recommend going with New World of Darkness hunter over old, and if you think 90s style vampires/werewolves/fairies are too cheesy there's also Mage: The Ascension (harder to get into, and close enough to Unknown Armies that I'd recommend Unknown Armies over mage any day). Generally speaking Classic World of Darkness is more grim and edgy than New World of Darkness, but it's 90s edgy.

New World of Darkness scrapped all of the settings of Old World of Darkness and kind of rebooted them to work with the modern day. New World of Darkness isn't as financially successful as cWoD was back in the day so there's significantly less fluff available. I'd recommend New World of Darkness Changeling and Werewolf over their cWoD equivalents, but anything else is subjective. nWoD has an exclusive as well Promethean: The Created.
>>
>>54455208
Also, if you're looking for another form of urban fantasy there's Unknown Armies. Unknown Armies campaigns vary in theme, but the stereotypical Unknown Armies session runs like Pulp Fiction if half the cast had reality breaking magic.

Back to World of Darkness, don't let the other anon scare you. I've played in about 4-5 World of Darkness games and always had a good time. The god awful parts of the playerbase always exists, but frankly I've seen just as many cringey examples of players for other games as I have for World of Darkness.
>>
Thanks. This thread has been pretty useful. I'll check out new WoD for Hunter and see if that convinces me.

Why Star Wars D6? I've hard a lot of stuff about the FFG rpg. Saga is the d20 game that's basically 3.5, right? I despise D&D-type games and its clones for being way too videogamey (as opposed to some of the good BRP stuff like Runequest) so I'll want to stay away from that most likely.
>>
>>54456528
Star Wars D6 has more content than the FFG one (published from 1987 to 1999 vs 2012 to 2017), and since you don't need anything from the prequels anyways chances are you won't miss anything FFG has to offer.

SAGA is the d20 one, yeah. SAGA happens to be the only line with KOTOR supplements, however.
>>
>>54454341
In kotor, characters are competent.

In ffg they're not.

Youll want to use the variant rule where you give them a whole bunch of free xp at the beginning.

The rest is easy enough.
>>
File: 1494097998361.jpg (11KB, 250x240px) Image search: [Google]
1494097998361.jpg
11KB, 250x240px
>>54454126
Post the hoal pic anon
>>
>>54454126
Old world of darkness had some interesting (albeit dated) settings, and bad mechanics. Fun to read, not as fun to play. Granted, I'm one of those goth teens who grew up, it was a setting targeted at my demographic.

New world of darkness has bland crappy settings, but better mechanics (which are basically just WoDified Unisystem mechanics).

Both have a toxic, godawful community.

Neither one is any good for any setting except the one it comes packaged with.

For Urban Fantasy, in no particular order:
Unisystem (buffy, angel, ghosts of Albion, witchcraft, pick the one you like most as a starting point and add mechanics from the others to taste)
Gurps

You could probably also get away with:
Savage Worlds (I don't care for its Benny system core mechanic, I think it ruins the gameplay)
Hero
Fate
>>
>>54457500
>>54454126
Also, if i was going to run a world of darkness game at this point, I'd be grabbing world of darkness gurps (3e) and converting it to use with gurps 4e
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.