[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT Dungeon Puzzle Ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

File: 8372.link_and_the_wind_waker.jpg (48KB, 622x606px) Image search: [Google]
8372.link_and_the_wind_waker.jpg
48KB, 622x606px
Im a pretty mew DM and just found out that my players absolutly love dungeon puzzles, kinda like the ones in windwaker, but I want to be a bit more original than "pull a lever in another room to open door" Any ideas?
>>
>>54450915

The dungeon is the ruins of a city that partially sank into the earth. while many buildings were damaged the whole of the city generally remains intact although numerous paths and walk ways may lead to dead ends and bottomless pits.

The PCs will have to make use of their climbing gear and creative uses of ropes and hooks to make walkways for party members who are not as fit as they might be all the while dealing with creatures who are very well adapted to the their new home.
>>
>>54450915
A big galleon or even a shipwreck with lots of ships (like a ship graveyard) where the water level changes along the day.
Or maybe a set of half sunken caverns with the same effect.
>>
File: 1487996161176.jpg (63KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1487996161176.jpg
63KB, 600x450px
>>54450915
Let me try to think of something.
t. poster #4
>>
>>54450915
Pull a HIDDEN lever in another room to open door.
>>
>>54450915
>>54455898

Describe certain details and patterns of a room, such as a room having eye symbols at the center of each wall.
If a player has their character examine the eyes, tell them that one of them is of a slightly different color, empty, marred, etc.
From there, you can have it be a clue to a later room with a similar set up, or use it to help the players navigate a maze or sectioned-up floor.
That would be a "Perception Puzzle" that rewards attention to GM's verbal details.

For an "Intelligence Puzzle", you can designate two separate spaces or circles where-ever to represent a balance scale. Find some objects, coins work best, and use them to represent weights. Then describe that there are a number of levels that the scale platforms are implied to be able to rise or fall to, as well as a ramp or stairs that reaches one level above the base. On one of those levels on one or both sides, there is a brake that can be switched on to stop the scales from moving. You can have it be a "Speed Puzzle" by making the players activate switches within a certain number of spaces, though that will require you to actually draw the layout to show the room, along with units to show the distance of one move. Alternatively, you can have numbers placed on the floors and have them be a part of a lock code, but the players will have to figure out the order, which involves where they were. You can make things even more tricky by having the numbers be the order itself but have the levels be the actual digit that is inputted.

Or just play some Layton, Zelda, or Portal puzzles and get inspired from there.
>>
File: 1398419948890.jpg (162KB, 524x780px) Image search: [Google]
1398419948890.jpg
162KB, 524x780px
Never played windwaker, what are the puzzles like?
>>
File: ww-medli.jpg (56KB, 1100x618px) Image search: [Google]
ww-medli.jpg
56KB, 1100x618px
>>54458400
There were a lot, but they were mostly based on reaction time and equipment gimmicks.

I haven't played it in years, but ones that stand out involve manipulating switches that separate you from partners, mirrors and light-sensitive switches, and manipulating wind currents to either activate windmills or open up travel paths. Kind of your standard Zelda fare.
>>
Look up premade ones from campaign books (also called modules). You can even go back to older editions and find obscure ones.

There's zero shame in "stealing" premade content and adapting it to your campaign. It will only strengthen your skills as a dm and let you sharpen your creative ability by seeing what good puzzles look like.

Seriously, it is what makes the difference between a good dm and a great dm, imo. Your players won't be able to tell that it wasn't "original," especially if it is adapted to your own setting.
>>
File: IMG_20170615_203951_HDR.jpg (3MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170615_203951_HDR.jpg
3MB, 3456x4608px
Hey buddy I used to struggle with this too. But I found this app that has like hundreds of different types of brain teaser like puzzles on the play store for free. Now I just flip through a few, pick a brain teaser and change some thing around with traps or switches. My players love it and it isn't stressful for me. I've even started using different types of puzzles with different types of dungeons.
>>
File: 20160717_133049.jpg (952KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160717_133049.jpg
952KB, 2560x1536px
>>54462347
Just went and looked it's call Logic Puzzles. Here is an example. There is a game where you must rotate lines so they all connect. I used statues that pointed at one another. In the first room there was a three statue puzzle already solved as a clue.
>>
>>54459763
No idea since the timing thing maybe difficult to translate into tabletop but >>54462305 has a good idea
>>
File: 1419217879823.png (227KB, 518x331px) Image search: [Google]
1419217879823.png
227KB, 518x331px
>>54462396

Thanks!
>>
What about puzzles for a more modern but still wacky environment like Paranoia?
>>
What about forcing players to divide their attention between a puzzle and combat?

I imagine some sort of scene involving never ending waves of constructs put in place as a sort of defense mechanism, with the only way to resolve the combat encounter being to solve some sort of puzzle that cancels the alarm or whatever.
>>
I think Zelda-esque puzzles can only be achieved with the use of a grid. Use >>54465760 idea of puzzle-during-combat and have players fighting bats coming from a hole while one character pushes a block to seal it, or something like that.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.