[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 40

File: 1456804213826.png (1MB, 1280x930px) Image search: [Google]
1456804213826.png
1MB, 1280x930px
Orcs in the Hood Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54440465

When was the last time a group/faction/army/nation of orcs posed a serious threat to your party?

Why are orc girls the best?
>>
File: 1489161872768.jpg (112KB, 1024x710px) Image search: [Google]
1489161872768.jpg
112KB, 1024x710px
>Orcs
>Best at anything
>>
>>54449875
In our last game. Our Wild Magic Sorcerer tried to cast sleep on a group of orcs who had their backs turned on us. He had a surge and ended up casting fireball on himself, detonating the room full of stolen gunpowder we were standing in. Everyone died.
>>
>>54449946
Wild magic is always fun
>>
>>54449759
Here's the problem with the way most people handle Liches (and enemy spellcasters in general):
They imagine that this Super Wizard is spending all day anticipating a threat, loaded for bear against it. So paranoid was this particular guy about getting shanked in the night, he pursued undeath so that he could "live" eternally without fear of adventurous murder and... and... what?

It's horseshit. Liches became liches because they had magical secrets of the universe to complete, and it's going to take longer than their 80-something living years to uncover all that shit. They wanted to be a not-zombie so they could have the time to uncover all those cosmic truths. They spend each and every day of FUCKING ETERNITY engrossed in their studies and magical experiments, and all of that takes casting. Their spell list doesn't read like an encyclopedia of damage and save-or-suck CC spells, it's all utility bullshit. They've got seven different instances of "if you cast this spell every day in the same spot for a year, it becomes permanent" on their schedule, and they've been doing that for centuries.

So the lich knows you're there, to be certain, somewhere in his lair. He doesn't know you're in his fucking bedchamber already, because centuries of every other adventuring party getting assblasted by his bajillions of traps and monsters and magical countermeasures has made him complacent. You're sitting in a room right now with a doorway out of your peripheral vision, unlocked, because you don't anticipate a Bolivian death squad rushing in and murdering you. The lich feels EVEN MORE SECURE. You are not a threat to him. He doesn't care that you're in his house. You'll die eventually, and he's got experiments to run. Waltzing out to Finger of Death you--which he doesn't even have memorized, because he didn't wake up this morning expecting adventurers would be here, because no one's bothered him in 17 years--would be a waste of his time, as much of it as he has.
>>
>>54449946
Funny, in the second encounter of my first only 5E game my 2nd level Wild Magic sorcerer surged, got fireball, and wiped the entire party.
>>
Reminder that Eberron is the best setting.
>>
>>54450016
>They've got seven different instances of "if you cast this spell every day in the same spot for a year, it becomes permanent" on their schedule, and they've been doing that for centuries.
Every corridor of their lair is filled with heavily-obscuring fog. Also, that fog is Stinking Cloud, which means you are Con saving literally every round to not barf. This Stinking Cloud is E V E R Y W H E R E and comes back within minutes if dissipated. But you can't dissipate it, because every corridor also has a fucking Gust of Wind blowing straight at you, at all times, and it's blowing in Stinking Cloud from everywhere else. Every bit of air in this place is fucking Stinking Cloud.

Any time you make a turn in these Stinking Cloud-filled halls, there's a 50% chance you go in a direction you didn't want to, into another hallway filled with Stinking Cloud and Gust of Wind pushing you back.

Every door is Arcane Locked, and is illusioned to look like the wall. Also, covered up by Stinking Cloud.

Staircases are filled with regenerating Web. Also, Stinking Cloud.

There are Magic Mouths every five feet, screaming "GET THE FUCK OUT". You can only hear the nearest Magic Mouth, because every tile is partitioned off by a sound-proof barrier. This partition is also vision-proof, meaning that even if everything wasn't a swirling mass of Stinking Cloud, you'd still be blind every five feet.

Any time you turn a corner or enter a room by the door you couldn't see to begin with, you must Wisdom save against Suggestion telling you, "It'd be a good idea to leave and go home." EVERY TIME.

Divination magic doesn't work. Divination sensors cast outside can't come in, either.

Teleportation and planar travel magic doesn't work.

It's nothing but 5x5 cubes of sound-proof, vision-proof, difficult terrain vomit gas screaming GET THE FUCK OUT.
And that's before we even talk about the traps rigged to pressure plates and tripwires that you can't possibly see.
>>
>>54450016
With their patience, they've also had time to layer their lair with dead ends and abjuration spells. Good luck penetrating a shitton of Glyph of Wardings, etc.
>>
>>54450016
>You're sitting in a room right now with a doorway out of your peripheral vision, unlocked, because you don't anticipate a Bolivian death squad rushing in and murdering you
My bedroom door is in my sight when looking at the computer and always locked. Enjoy your death squads, anon.
>>
https://pastebin.com/a3zpb50P
Rate my sorcerer changes

Harsh criticism is welcome
>>
>>54450502
>he doesn't know they have radar guns that can see you through your wall and anti-materiel rifles that'll punch straight through
>he doesn't know they can hear everything going on in the room by lasering the vibrations of the window
>he doesn't know they're aware of everything on your monitor and TV screen because they're working back from the EM fields flying out of the room, on top of already having remote access on the PC
>>
>>54450568
>be on /tg/, using my Gentoo rig powered by QUADFIRE 7970s and an i7 2600k, when knock at cave door
>OPEN UP WE'S THE POH LEASE
>push a couple old Pentium 4s against the door (those things are just so damn handy)
>begin waddling towards escape hatch
>BANG BANG BANG
>cops shooting the door, screaming MURIKA FUCK YEAH
>be Canadian, quite confused
>continue waddling as fast as I can
>cops break door down
>they begin sprinting towards me
>one gets caught in my intranet
>fuck that was an expensive cable it's hard to get them that long
>whatever
>cop begins shooting me
>dive behind Fermi pile
>Fermis burst into flames, buying me time
>grab my Thinkpad
>escape hatch blocked by cans
>prepare for final stand
>cop comes around corner
>nail her on the head with my Thinkpad
>Thinkpad 1 SWAT helmet 0
>another cop rounds corner
>shoots me
>absorbed in my fat, bounces off
>this angers me
>release the bear
>Guardian Neckbear leaps from neck and begins biting cop
>throw GNU/Hurd kernel DVDs at him
>he dies from disgust
>cop jumps through can pile
>falls onto my pile of dragon dildos
>runs back out screaming
>jump in my get-away pedovan
>mom runs out of house
>SERGIO COMPUTER NO JUST WERKO
>NOT NOW MOM I'M BUSY
>rev up car
>cop cars begin coming around corner
>speed off
>they chase me
>they have no drivers and crash into poles
>an entire polish parade
>1.7% of the parade survive
>more cops behind me
>NO TIME FOR LOVE, COPPERS
>helicopter appears above me
>it's rotational velociodencity begins to degrade as it comes closer to my giant dog-shapped pedovan
>it bluescreen
>>
>>54450624
it's like you're narrating my life, anon!
>>
>>54450029
Primarily use a shield, yes. I like slapping people around, but we have more than enough people using two-handed weapons for the big deeps, so it's whatever.
I've been assuming I'd use Protection style since it's the most "generic" and would go along with anything I did.
>>
>>54450735
Protection sucks. Defense or Dueling are the money styles if you're sword and boarding. Acquire Shield Master, become God.
>>
>Cleric
>Take War Caster, spellcasting focus embedded in shield
>Use two shields, wear chainmail
>20 AC
Tell me why this shouldn't work
>>
>>54450791
Shields don't stack
>>
File: ss+(2017-07-21+at+06.07.05).jpg (141KB, 1043x466px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-07-21+at+06.07.05).jpg
141KB, 1043x466px
>>54450821
Which is bullshit because there is literally an enemy for whom it does stack.
>>
>>54450821
>>54450862
Bullshit as in that it shouldn't be true, not that it isn't true.
>>
>>54450791
what are you gonna do when you run out of spells?
>>
>>54450862
It still looks like it's only benefiting from one shield's AC bonus... plate sets it to 19 and a shield is +2, and the monster has 21 AC
>>
>>54450901
If it comes to that, I'll simply drop or stow one of my shield and start smacking heathens with my mace.
>>
>>54450917
>plate sets it to 19
Plate Armor gives 18 AC, and the blurb explicitly states that "each of [the shields] is accounted for in the giant's AC." Though then we have the problem that each shield apparently counts for 1.5 AC.
>>
>>54450765
Ah, shit, my bad, I keep mixing Defense with Protection, I meant Defense, sorry
Should I take Shield Master for my feat at level 1 then? I didn't actually have anything else really in mind now that the Weapon Mastery feat is off the table, though Fell-Handed sounds fun.
I'm half-considering non-variant human just because of nice and rounded stats but that's probably stupid as hell
>>
File: 1500602817247.jpg (66KB, 713x527px) Image search: [Google]
1500602817247.jpg
66KB, 713x527px
>Level 1 fighter's character art wears platemail
[Triggered]
>>
>>54451003
As long as his armor is medium or heavy armor you can just reflavor it as damaged armor.
>>
>>54450952

Perhaps the giant has the Dual Wielder feat?
>>
>>54450917
Close but not quite
18 AC for plate
+2 AC for one shield
+1 AC for offhand shield
But I actually kinda dislike this monster's AC and think it should be slightly higher. At least 22. I'll tell you why
...look at the *type* of shield it's using. That's a motherfucking GREATshield. The thing is massive and the monster is already focused on turtling and protecting itself. Greatshields should definitely offer +3AC imo, at a slight tradeoff for PCs of course...
>>
>>54451003
And what's so wrong about having access to the best mundane armor at a low level?
Not all low levels are poor and/or value their lives so poorly.
>>
Am I retarded for trying to play a grappme-focused monk in 5e? I was trying to be a snowflake and go for a drunken master type build by making strength, dexterity, and constitution my highest stats without paying too much attention to wisdom. I suppose I could always multiclass into fighter at the expense of some monk-exclusive ki stuff, but I feel like I might have dug myself into a hole here.
>>
>>54451023
Honestly I think it should be exactly 22, because it clearly covers 3/4ths of him and 3/4th cover is +4 AC, just like how half cover corresponds to a single shield with +2 AC.

>>54451022
Maybe, but again the statblock clearly indicates that "each" shield is accounted for.
>>
>>54451013
>>54451041
his inventory says chainmail
this isn't acceptable
>>
>>54450862
18 from plate
+4 from two shields
-1 from dex

>Inb4 implying the guy who wrote this shit knew anything about the rules
>>
>>54451060
>REEEEEEE
>>
>>54451065
He didn't. It should be 22. In my games it's fucking 22, end of discussion
>>
>>54451060
Dude just tell him to reflavor it to "Worn plate (Chainmail)." It's not like there'll be any difference gameplaywise outside of the difference in AC. You can just say that pieces were lost to make up for the 10 pound disparity in weight.
>>
>>54451065
Full Plate is heavy armor, why would dex matter?
>>
>>54451003
Finding character art that is 100% accurate is basically impossible, you have to work with what you got.
>>
>>54450862
NPCs can do a lot of shit that PCs can't, and PCs often do stuff that NPCs can't. That's how 5e works.
>>
>>54451108
>why would dex matter?
It doesn't, that's the whole point of the post
>>
>>54451122
See >>54450882
>>
>>54451108
Because WotC doesn't understand their own rules sometimes
>>
>>54450791
>cleric
>war caster
>cast shield of faith on self
>wield 2 shields and plate armor
>24 ac
tell me why this shouldn't work
>>
>>54450862
Plate, shield and armor fighting style should cover it all.
>>
>changeling
>shapeshift into a shield
>4 ac
tell me why this shouldnt work
>>
>>54450258
>Every 5ft is a square of screaming fart gas
My fucking sides are in the Astral Plane
>>
>>54451046
The best grapplers, oddly enough, are rogues and bards, because grappling is based on the Athletics skill and rogues and bards get skill expertise.

And in general it's a bad idea to be "grapple-focused" in the sense of having grappling be your plan A all the time. It is a tool that is only useful under certain circumstances, like when someone is trting to escape or when there's an environmental hazard to pull someone into. Grabbing someone and then shoving them prone, or using the Grappler feat to restrain them, is usually a waste of time compared to just attacking instead (or, in the case of a monk, stunning them.)
>>
>>54451310
Barbarians have advantage on strength throws in rage, so that's about the same as the bonus from skill expertise at higher levels of proficiency, and better at lower levels.
>>
>>54451297
see >>54450952
>the blurb explicitly states that "each of [the shields] is accounted for in the giant's AC."
>>
I need a fantasy-sounding name for the magical equivalent of a circuit breaker or fuse box.
>>
>>54451365
Transmogrifier
>>
>>54451365
Flux capacitor
>>
>>54451046
>Am I retarded for trying to play a grappme-focused monk in 5e?
Yes. If your DM is nice you might be able to convince them to let you add your Wis mod to a grapple check as a part of the Martial Arts Feature or something. At least then you wouldn't need strength.
>>
>>54451300
What's your dex?
>>
>>54451365
Arcane connector?
>>54450998
>>54450765
In hindsight, normal human is always dogshit though isn't it?
>>
File: 1500218375376.jpg (211KB, 634x800px) Image search: [Google]
1500218375376.jpg
211KB, 634x800px
>>54449875
Guys help, there's this guy that likes to play dnd with me and the guys. He's a cool dude but he just makes really shitty characters that no one likes. The last one mouthed off to the wrong god and got sucked into his realm and we started to do a solo-campaign to see if he makes it out but his character was so bad it got boring and I had to stop the campaign. I'm offering him a second chance with the party and to make a new character.

However the first Idea he threw out was awful.

HELP
>>
>>54450862
NPCs and PCs are not following the same rules. More news at 11.
>>
>>54451310
>>54451415
Welp serves me right for trying to be special. Thanks for elucidating, anons.
>>
>>54451456
see >>54450882
>>
>>54451348
But it doesn't mesh very well with their preferred equipment, either having a big honking two-handed weapon or using a shield to maximize unkillability. Rogues and bards are not hampered as much by having a hand free.
>>
>>54451430
10, why?
>>
>>54451450

How awful are we talking?
>>
>>54451526
If shield gives +2 on its own and we assume a baseline of 1, then you should have 3 AC in shield form
>>
File: tavernbrawling.jpg (103KB, 844x728px) Image search: [Google]
tavernbrawling.jpg
103KB, 844x728px
>>54451477
>Barbarian with Tavern Brawler
>1d4+2+Str unarmed attacks, with shield
Besides, you don't need unarmed damage when grappling if your DM isn't a faggot and you are beating your grappled target up with the environment.
>>
>>54451365
Power Shunt
>>
>>54451564
That is still much worse than just having a battleaxe in one hand and keeping the other hand free for grabbing.
>>
>>54451462
If it's any comfort, because so few monsters have skill proficiency, you will still be able to succeed at grabbing a good amount of the time. Just remember to only use it when there's a reason and not just as a substitute for attacking.
>>
>>54451663
You lose an attack for your grapple attempt in that scenario. It also ignores any environmental shenanigans you might do that would inflict more damage or conditions with a non-fag DM, in which case the damage of your weapon doesn't matter to begin with.
>>
>>54451546
His first character monologued for miles and sucked out player time for the rest.

then this next one was gonna be a braindead wizard who is too powerful magically.
>>
>>54451727

Playing 'Mother May I' and hoping your improvisation does more damage than a battleaxe feels like a risk to take. Even GMs who like improvisation tend to get tired of the 5th time in a fight you need to find an object to smash a guy into.
>>
>>54451727
Unless there's a river of lava or a sphere of annihilation or something like that, any environmental damage will be an improvised melee weapon attack delivered exactly as though you had a chair in your other hand.
>>
>>54449875
Last session, actually.
>>
>>54451727

The GM could also impose disadvantage to your grapple if you are trying to smash them into an environmental object due to increased difficulty.

As an aside: Which environmental objects would do more damage than 'Hit them with a battleaxe/warhammer'?
>>
>>54451793
>i am / my DM is a fag DM
At least >>54451780 tried making a point
>>
>>54451793
That's not how improvised weapons work
>>
>>54451819
>implying he has a game
>>
Would the spell Web be a decent lore bard pick?

With cutting words you could basically ensure they never succeed if they fail their first save by hitting them constantly with the -d8 to their strength check.
>>
>>54451450
post more muscle waifus
>>
>>54451780
If the DM doesn't want me to hit enemies with things, he shouldn't put things in a room, or have fights near things.
>>
File: 1499887908838.jpg (465KB, 632x900px) Image search: [Google]
1499887908838.jpg
465KB, 632x900px
>>54451870
You've got good taste, but for real what should I do? I got a week to plan
>>
>>54451897
Don't forget, the room shouldn't be made out of things.
>>
>>54451926
Let him play his shit character. It's usually comedic relief anyways.
>>
File: 1499879653801.jpg (2MB, 1280x1706px) Image search: [Google]
1499879653801.jpg
2MB, 1280x1706px
>>54451956
But they're not awful in the fun way. They're so bad that his character was killed off by the rest of the party complaining for a month about it.
>>
>>54452012
Tell us what he made
>>
File: 1499895930388.jpg (185KB, 850x654px) Image search: [Google]
1499895930388.jpg
185KB, 850x654px
>>54452104

Refer to
>>54451775

But in more detail he made an ugly monk with no charisma and he just picked fights and was so quick to kill. Not to mention he used an item that actively made enemies stronger and nearly got multiple people in the party killed. He constantly talked to a character no one else could see, hear, or interact with and got mad at me when it didn't give him meta knowledge
>>
>>54451836
Sure it is. When slamming somebody against something, it's functionally equivalent to slamming that thing against somebody, at least closely enough given the level of abstraction present in the rules of D&D. As they say, it doesn't matter whether the stone hits the pitcher or the pitcher hits the stone; it's going to be bad for the pitcher.
>>
>>54450016
Wrong. Liches obsess about anything interrupting their studies or plans. That means that every doorway in their lair has an alarm on it. That means that they can use divination on any room in their layer at will through specially created magic. Yes, they might be somewhat complacent, but once you reach closer to where they are they already know you are there and have prepared every conceivable way to defeat you. They aren't complacent enough to let you skip through a room and smack them on the head, they have 20 INT.
>>
File: IMG_0163.jpg (2MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0163.jpg
2MB, 1920x2560px
My friend wants to, and I quote: "play as a grappler whose main thing is I grapple people, but I also want to be able to throw objects, and to teleport to those thrown objects".

What class most closely represents my friends retarded idea?
>>
>>54452296
Lore bard with Misty Step?
>>
>>54452296
Horizon Walker Ranger with Brawny and Tavern Brawler?

Seems like it would work. In fact the fact that works as well as it does is kinda odd.
>>
>>54451819

Which things are going to do more damage than the battleaxe?
>>
>>54449875
Any more orc pics like these? I hate the cartoonish "bulky green people with tusks" look, and these here look legit terrifying and alien.
>>
>>54451060
>Find perfect looking character art
>It's exactly what I imagined my character to look like
>Except he's got a little red strip of cloth tied around his arm and I didn't include that
>DM REEEEEEs at me and demands I find me art
>>
>>54452315
>>54452322
No, he wants it at 1st level.

Is there literally any way for me to make this balanced without telling him his idea sucks fat cock?
>>
>>54452384

Or, you know, you could add the phrase "with a little red strip of cloth tied around one arm" to his description, perhaps to remind him of some cause or friend.
>>
>>54452396
Teleporting at level 1 isn't really a thing. Let him play an eladrin or shadar-kai?
>>
>>54452396
Tell him to stop being a snowflake and build his character as it levels up like everyone else
>>
>>54452396
Tell him that he can work towards getting it but he won't start off as some god teleporting around the battlefield at level 1, because level 1 characters are brand new to the whole "adventuring" thing and probably only had one or two strange things happen to them
>>
>>54452396
Tell him if he insists on doing his retarded meme horseshit he'll have to get it when he levels up like everyone else's cool abilities.

A grappler Horizon Walker Ranger could be perfectly viable at low levels. He can go Goliath with Brawny to drag people around at full movespeed as a stopgap before actually getting the ability to pop around like an 8 foot tall ripped Tracer every turn.

If you feel like throwing him a bone give him Tavern Brawler for free (Maybe without the +1 STR).

In fact the more I look at it, a grappler Goliath Horizon Walker seems like it'd work rather well since they can remove an enemy's resistance to nonmagical bludgeoning and deal extra damage with punches once a turn.
>>
>>54452396
Not really. He is just gonna have to make a character that works within the allowed rules. If he spergs over not being able to play his level 1 grappling teleporter, then I would let him leave or kick him out.
>>
File: schlomo.jpg (20KB, 480x319px) Image search: [Google]
schlomo.jpg
20KB, 480x319px
Shitty GM stories?

>be me, my friend calls me "hey James is gonna run his homebrew he has been preparing for months, are you in?"
>show up with a cool character concept
>show him my Yuan-ti Paladin/Warlock
>Sorry but no monstrous races for my campaign
>Tell him to make an exception, he tells me that a Yuan Ti would be kill on sight
>mfw DM autism won't fit my character into his homebrew
>mfw he thinks his shitty world is some Shakespeare tier creation and not the playground where friends play once a week in
>I roll up a Drow warlock
>he complains again and goes in a tirade of why "can't you play a normal character?"
>mfw this DM is vanilla as fuck
>mfw when I just eat pizza and then leave

Dodged a bullet there
>>
>>54452552
You sound fucking autistic. Your group dodged a bullet by you voluntarily leaving.
>>
>>54452552
What's wrong with an all human campaign? I've run three to a massive success.
>>
>>54452552
If you're not rolling a core 4 race, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>54452552

7/10 should've mentioned you were chaotic neutral
>>
>>54452552
>pick races that are objectively evil
>sperg out when dm tells me he won't accommodate them
>>
>>54452552
shoulda rolled a teifling rouge
>>
>>54452616
Yuan-Ti aren't evil
>>
>>54452603

how can you type this when both of your hands cannot stop stroking tolkien's dick
>>
File: 1481684155091.png (652KB, 676x676px) Image search: [Google]
1481684155091.png
652KB, 676x676px
>>54452632
>>
>>54452589
How am I autistic?
>>54452595
Playing human is soooo boring I am a human in real life what's the point?
>>54452616
>play a game about fantasy
>pick fantasy race
>GM is too autismal to do something out of his comfort zone
>>
Making a STR-based hexblade bladelock for a 10th level game.
Is it just me, or are most cantrip options shit for this build?
>>
File: IMG_0282.jpg (167KB, 1242x2057px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0282.jpg
167KB, 1242x2057px
>>54452632
>a race that enslaves and cannibalizes other races and intends to bring about the destruction of the world, as per order of their god
>not evil
>>
>>54452636
Tolkein's doing the typing for me while I work
>>
Anyone have any ideas for swapping out the Artificer's Level 5 attunement ability, I don't play with that rule and I dont really want to just take away a feature from one of my players.
>>
Playing anything other than Variant Human is autism.

Also the more I play 5e the more I find AC doesn't matter at all. Anyone else?
>>
>>54452552
I can understand the DM not wanting a Yuan-ti or other "monstrous" race in a homebrew world, but I feel the DM handled this situation wrong as well. He should of made it clear as day to you and everyone else what is and is not allowed in his homebrew campaign.

Also, I don't see why he would have a problem with Drow. they are a subrace of one of the 4 main races. Thats pretty much as vanilla as you can get before you go into the 5e free to play territory. Overall, you probably did dodge a bullet.
>>
>>54452748
The ability to wear multiple magic items in the same slot? Two hats, two amulets, ten rings, etc. Extra attuned items is a pretty minor ability.
>>
>>54452718
>My fun is determined by the race I pick
>>
>>54452552
This is why you all come together and pick your character concepts and build the world collaboratively in your first session.
>>
>>54452552
Don't let the autists in /5eg/ shame you.

You dodged a bullet 100%. DMs too enamored with their homebrew are always shit and railroaders.
>>
>>54452718
By everything you just wrote. By screeching when you went in with retard concepts and when you didn't get your way.
>>
>>54452632
Yuan-ti are almost always evil. Volo's Guide goes into good detail of their evil exploits. With that said, a very small percentage of Yuan-ti can be neutral or good if pushed or raised in a certain way that could allow this outcome.
>>
>>54452849
You are the autist here, bud, don't anyone tell you different.

While DMs too enamoured with their homebrew are fucks, the autist who screeched out of that game fucked up by going severe autist.
>>
>>54452753
I disagree with your first point, for I love to play other non-human races, but I completely agree with you on the AC matter.

During your early range levels (levels 1 - 5), a high AC can be very advantageous when it comes to surviving a hoard of weak enemies or powerful enemies why have a low to hit bonus. However, as you get into mid range levels and especially when you get to high range levels, AC becomes a mediocre stat in most cases. When an enemy has a +15 and higher to hit bonus, only AC in the absolute extremes will consistently protect you. Also, AC does not protect you against spells with saving throws. Overall, if your character is going to get into the higher level ranges, you should make a tank with high HP rather than a tank with high AC.
>>
>>54452748
Maybe an ability to temporarily copy the abilities of an existing item? So if you have a magic ring and a normal one, you can make the normal ring have the same effect as the magic ring for 1 hour, once per long rest, or something.
>>
>>54452797
Just like real life, breh
>>
>>54451194
Shields (equipment) don't stack
>>
>>54453123
And maybe limit that ability by rarity? Up to Uncommon at 5th, then Rare at 15th?
>>
>>54453123
>>54453256
Thanks! Thats a good one. I think he'll be happy with that.
>>
>>54453038
At those higher levels is when, ideally, a DM would start handing out magic armor.
>>
>>54451415
>>54451046
Monsters generally don't have Athletics or Acrobatics proficiency. If you've got Athletics and a Strength score, grappling is good if you have a plan with it.
Making it better than that is a simple matter of getting expertise.
>>
>>54453370
That is a fair point, but not all DM's hand out a lot of magic items. If it is a low magic world, you may not get high grade magic armor, or any type of magic armor at all.

Personally though, I usually run high magic games when I run a homebrew game, so my players can buy lower tiers of magic items. My point is simply that not all DM's will be the same way with magic items in their games.
>>
>>54450862
Two weapon fighter feat + two shields = two weapons thus +1 AC
plate = 18 AC
shield = +2 AC

Thus, 21 AC

Two weapon fighter feat would give +1 AC if shields worked with shield+sword though.
>>
I can't decide whether to go skill versatility or get a cantrip, please help bros.
>>
>>54452296
Dex barbarogue, give them some custom feat that lets them teleport with their movement.
>>
>>54453579
Not sure what you're talking about, exactly. Half-Elf with optional descent variants?
>>
File: WHEN THE SILENCE HITS.png (34KB, 313x454px) Image search: [Google]
WHEN THE SILENCE HITS.png
34KB, 313x454px
>>54453579
Think about what will give you the most mileage for what you want to do.
Will you be using that cantrip a lot? Will you be making a lot of skill checks with your skills? How often will you be getting hit with Silence do you think?
>>
>playing cleric
>2 ogres, 2 imps and 2 goblins vs a lv1 party
>we're obviously losing
>npc cleric of a different god comes and saves the day
This is happening right now, how do I proceed?
>>
>>54453788
See how it goes, and if it stays bearable, voice your complaints to the DM afterwards (DMPCs fucking suck, always, and especially when they steal the spotlight and control the narrative).
>>
>>54453788
Tell your DM to fuck off with his DMPC
>>
Why are players so averse to utility spells? Joined a game and watched three of the players, all full casters, not cast a single thing that doesn't do damage. No guidance, no detect magic, nothing. Just melee weapons and fire bolt spam.

Is there something about a spell lacking the words 'And deals Xd6 damage' that just immediately makes folks stop reading right there?
>>
>>54453837
>>54453788
By the way: Are you often using your phone during play? Baaaaaad habit.
>>
>>54453886
It's roll20.
>>
>>54453788
Voice your concern with the DM after the game unless it becomes completely unbearably DMPC controlled. Maybe he just had the DMPC come in because he realized he would probably kill you all otherwise. It's not a good way to fix it, but its better than them retreating for no reason.

With that said, if he insists on the DMPC sticking around, have him do what I do when an NPC joins a party, and give a party member control of them during combat and keep them overall in the background unless addressed or they bear important information the party needs to know.
>>
>>54453788
>we're obviously losing
>npc cleric of a different god comes and saves the day
You should tell your DM to stop DMing
>>
>>54453912
>Maybe he just had the DMPC come in because he realized he would probably kill you all otherwise. It's not a good way to fix it, but its better than them retreating for no reason.
That's when the enemies capture the party and you have to escape imprisonment.
>>
>>54453874
I don't know. A player in my group picked Light and 3 damage cantrips for his wizard, planning to take a fourth, "to be prepared". I tried to convince him to take something like Mold Earth or Message and that one damage type is enough - you can only deal damage once per round, but versatility is forever. He wouldn't listen.
>>
File: Capture.png (33KB, 235x285px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
33KB, 235x285px
>>54453788
Is the imp riding the goblin riding the ogres?
Because that sounds radical.
>>
>>54453967
Sadly, no.
Nice pic btw.
>>
>>54453967

Can someone stat block this magnificent beast?
>>
>>54453941
>Ogres
>Imprisoning people

There would have to be a very good reason for them to imprison them instead of just eating them. Though I suppose the imprisonment could arc into a main campaign story, with a hobgoblin warlord or some other big bad controlling the ogres and goblins and other forces to bring slaves to somewhere for some reason.
>>
>>54453874
Some players prefer to deal lots of damage, and that's fine.
Some players are afraid they won't get opportunities to use utility spells, so they go for the safe option in damage.
>>
File: This duo runs bartertown..jpg (787KB, 946x1250px) Image search: [Google]
This duo runs bartertown..jpg
787KB, 946x1250px
>>54454018
>MasterBlasterSmasher
Just stat them mounted creatures, Goblin has a bow and Imp shoots firebolts.
>>
>>54454027
The ogres are imprisoning you because they believe that cooking their food alive gives it more flavor.

Fail to escape? You get cooked alive and eaten
>>
File: No honor among thieves.png (20KB, 775x218px) Image search: [Google]
No honor among thieves.png
20KB, 775x218px
>>54454030
My Arcane Trickster has gotten 10 times the use of Mending and Predisgnation(?) than his Fire Bolt
>>
>>54454027
Obviously the ultimate goal of the party's imprisonment is for eating. Maybe one of the ogres sees himself as an amateur chef and plans on making a real meal out of them later.
>>
>>54450519
It seems like you have directly converted the value of the Sorcerer's spell slots into Sorcery Points. This is a BAD IDEA. High level spell slots are significantly stronger than lower level ones, and casters have precious few of them for a reason. Look at Psionics in D&D 3E; a Psion replicating the power of a Wizard will run out of power points far sooner. Flexibility has to come at the cost of raw power or sustainability.

I recommend reducing the total Sorcery Points of your Sorcerer at medium to high levels; I'd say a 10% point reduction around levels 6-10, a 20% point reduction at levels 11-15, and a 30% reduction at levels 16-20. Being able to cast twelve 9th level spells is much stronger than being able to cast twenty-six spells from levels 1-9 (and slanted towards the lower levels).
>>
>>54454068
>My Arcane Trickster has gotten 10 times the use of Mending and Predisgnation(?) than his Fire Bolt
I'm really happy for you. Personally I've yet to see something break in my games.
>>
>>54454089
Just have your next magical item the party will have to get be shatterspike

Start smashing weapons
>>
Eldritch Knight or Battle Master?
>>
>>54454089
Think outside the party
Like we're running through Hoard of the Dragon Queen so in our downtime I'm helping out the village and keep with the spells
Or cutting your own rope for enemies can't use it then repairing it when you leave to climb back up
>>
>>54454132
I just remembered I actually spent an evening Mending broken mugs and plates at an inn.
The DM sounded really disappointed for some reason.
>>
>>54454128
Do you want to deal the most damage, or do you want to have the most tankyness plus some utility?
>>
What's some cool shit to put in a dragon graveyard? i.e. where dragons go to die
>>
>>54454243
a lion cub
>>
>>54454243
Dracolich

I wish Intimidate could be a STR skill or CHA skill
>>
>>54454282
>I wish Intimidate could be a STR skill or CHA skill
Isn't that literally the example for "sometimes skills go with other abilities" in the PHB?
>>
Hi all! I need to put $10 more onto my Amazon cart to get free shipping. I can't think of what to get though. Is there anything in the $10-20 range that you've found useful that I can add?
>>
>>54454167
Your DM probably thought they were being clever using an old 'shitty tavern' trope.
"Yeah you get a drink but your glass is dirty and cracked haha!"
"That's fine, I'll just cast mending to seal the crack and then use prestidigitation to clean it out. No problems"

This kills the DM
>>
>>54454321
a dice bag or mechanical pencils
>>
File: 3 INT druid.jpg (72KB, 599x601px) Image search: [Google]
3 INT druid.jpg
72KB, 599x601px
>>54454321
Useful for what?
>>
File: Kenny the Downs Tige.jpg (35KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Kenny the Downs Tige.jpg
35KB, 600x400px
>>54454358
Reminds me of that Tiger with downs syndrome
>>
>>54454324
No it was more like I wanted to help the innkeeper out, me trying to play a charitable cleric and all.
But your assumption is mostly correct, every tavern in this world has a half-orc barbarian or what not who will bully you until a bar brawl breaks out
>>
>>54454068

that's because firebolt is a terrible cantrip for arcane tricksters.
>>
>>54454392
High Elf cantrip choice on a random whim since I missed last session where we started new characters and didn't want to waste time
>>
>>54454073
>Being able to cast twelve 9th level spells
I use the rules for higher level casting for spell points in the DMG, which limits 8th and 9th level spells to once per long rest
>>
> tfw trying to play games with friends
> friend of a friend is gming
> actually terrible
> can't really say anything since this is my first game but I've been on /tg/ for a couple years
save me
>>
>>54454458
How horrible?
>>
>>54454434

sure, but firebolt is a great cantrip. just not on an at.

Should have gone with Minor Illusion.
>>
>>54454189
Which is witch? I think id rather have the tankyness.
>>
File: 070712.png (51KB, 718x526px) Image search: [Google]
070712.png
51KB, 718x526px
>>54454523
Someone else had it and I can only pick two since Mage Hand is HANDatory
>>
How's giving +1 Charisma +1 to three other stats sound like for a Quadroon (quarter elf?)

Seems like an easy quick fix
>>
>>54454513
We're playing strahd. He's not describing any of the surroudings, there's no logic to how any of the NPCs are asking. He's railroading (So far as saying what some of our characters are doing) and it seems like he's just got a checklist of quests we're supposed to go to to fulfill his job as a GM or whatever.

I can understand not being serious because new players, but this is bad. Like he's not even trying.
>>
>>54452607
I think we're the only guys who got it.
>>
>>54454542
kys
I laughed
>>
>>54454358
Useful as a DM tool or crafting tool. Or useful as terrain. Or minis. I'm looking for just about anything really.
>>
>>54454579
I feel for you.
>>
>>54454616
Not him but I'm honestly surprised people didn't see through it.
>>
>>54454027
Would it not be plausible for ogres to enslave other races? I was hoping to make it part of my Halfling's backstory. What about Orcs?
>>
>>54454557
>Elves aren't particularly charismatic
>Humans aren't either
>Half-Elves are only considered such because they're trying too hard to fit in
>no one would bat an eye at a quarterelf
>>
>>54453568
Except for the part where the statblock explicitly says "each" of the shields is accounted for in the giant's AC.
>>
>>54454643
He's even pulling the shit 'you didn't say it so it didn't happen'
>>
>>54454628
Do you make physical maps? Or do you draw them on paper?

How's your DM screen? Could it use an upgrade or does it do its job?
>>
>>54454674
Okay you need to usurp him or something this is not cool.
>>
>>54454696
I've got the regular DM screen. I like it well enough.

I'm currently crafting foam dungeon tiles (a la Black Magic Craft on youtube), which is why I'm making the order. So things that would be useful for terrain building would be nice. Otherwise I use interlocking plastic tiles and dry erase markers.

I was looking at the wilderness dungeon tiles. I don't do a lot of wilderness encounters, but they seem useful. Thoughts?
>>
Where can I get the class-specific character sheets? I saw them in the Trove a while ago. Are they not in the alternate Trove or am I missing them?
>>
>>54454750
you're missing them.
They're in the pastebin
>>
>>54454666
Yeah, the first one gives +2, the second +0. All accounted for.

:^)
>>
>>54454666
Guys we came to the conclusion that whoever wrote the statblock wasn't told how AC caluclation works.
>>
>>54454785
>The Fire Giant drops one of his shields in order to throw a rock at you. He is no less protected than he is before.
Something tells me that is not the point of him being required to drop the shield.
>>
>>54454652
I could see Orcs easily enslaving other races. To what end, i'm not sure, but it is definitely possible.

I don't think the average Ogre would enslave an adventurer though. They don't really have the intelligence for cunning plans or the insight to think creatively. The only possible reason I could conceive for ogres leaving an adventurer alive would be for breeding purposes, and that reason only stands because Half-Ogres exist. With that said, Ogres can easily be manipulated by smarter and more powerful creatures, so an Ogre serving such a creature might enslave them if previously ordered to capture adventurers alive.
>>
File: desert elf.jpg (79KB, 375x814px) Image search: [Google]
desert elf.jpg
79KB, 375x814px
>>54452552
the yuan ti i can understand
but I would probably let the drow slide, though he would be utterly unwelcome in some areas

though in my homebrew world I am still making, neither of those races exist, just big strong brown elven men and women for elves.
>>
>>54449875
How does 5e feel about Prestige Classes, conceptually?

I can see it theoretically being really good for when you join some organization, to get a couple of organization-specific techniques and such.

Though, they should have next to no Prereq's besides perhaps level, and joining the organization - (something that would arise from gameplay and could not be planned for at level 1).

I think it would be tricky to do well, and I'm not so sure about how the UA approached it.

3.5's PrCs were not good.
>>
>>54453788
On that note, what's a good way to save pcs if I set up an encounter I think the players should win and they start losing?
>>
>>54454860
the fur in the thumbnail looks like an old man
>>
>>54454888
What you suggest would probably work better as pseudo-Feats that could replace certain class abilities.
>>
>>54454829
This is my fetish. Is making this my backstory a bad idea?
>>
>>54454860
>but I would probably let the drow slide, though he would be utterly unwelcome in some areas
When will this meme end
>>
>>54451053
3/4th cover is +5 AC. And Dex saves.
>>
>>54454829
I've mentioned this idea on here before, but the slave background of my character's clan is how they became monks, since hand-to-hand was their only option without access to weapons.
>>
>>54454976
But when you're huge, AC calculations for armor are made differently
>>
>>54454956
When it's no longer true

Reminder that drow are, according to the phb, generally universally hated and kill on sight

Obviously that changes depending on the setting, but unless otherwise specified by the DM drow are evil creatures to be destroyed
>>
>>54454997
But monk weapons already descend from using gardening tools and other utensils as weapons...
>>
>>54454894
Depends on who they fight. People can take them prisoner, for ransom, interrogation etc They can awaken half-dead and entangled in a spiderweb or left for dead, dragged into their den as food if they fought appropriate beasts.

But death should be in the cards, I think. Just keep in mind who was to blame for their deaths - did the players make dumb decisions, did they roll poorly/the enemies well, or did you just fuck up the encounter? Did it ever occur to the players to run away, and did you leave that option open (remember: disregard combat movement rules once they flee)?
>>
>>54454947
Putting your fetish into your backstory is always a bad idea imho, but talk to your DM about it. They may be more open to the idea.
>>
>>54454027
>>54453941
It was a possible outcome, because the baddies were capturing people for a ritual. We could have been captured and then it would be an escape arc or something. Oh, well.
After the battle we discovered the dwarf cleric (I'm also a dwarf cleric, to add insult to injury) was a hero of old and now want us to follow the rest of the baddies because he obviously has something else to do. Into the rails we go, I guess.
>>
>>54455011
Yeah but that don't stop a player from playing a drow.
>>
>>54455023
They're ultra casuals who enjoy doing backflips in combat over actually fighting.

I keep lowering the bar for encounters and they keep finding ways to lose.

I just have random shit popup and save them but it's starting to get obvious, maybe I should just give them stupid easy encounters.
>>
>>54455048
It does if the DM says you can't, because that's also raw.
>>
File: Ghoul emperor tome of beasts.png (615KB, 682x1144px) Image search: [Google]
Ghoul emperor tome of beasts.png
615KB, 682x1144px
Do ghouls reproduce, or do they have some sort of transformation process for the dead?
>>
File: 1499530033353.jpg (3KB, 126x123px) Image search: [Google]
1499530033353.jpg
3KB, 126x123px
>>54455077
That's an out of game, not in game.
>>
I'm a level 3 druid. What do I do with 400gp? Already have basic equipment (armor, focus, shield, etc)
>>
File: thumbs+.gif (1MB, 360x152px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs+.gif
1MB, 360x152px
>>54455073
Let them die, then.
>>
>>54455135
What's your character like? Your DM? What's the forecasted campaign?
>>
>>54455103

Aren't ghouls the undead remains of cannibals? Think I read that in a Monster Manual at some point.
>>
>>54454626
>>54454542

Me too.

I think there's better anyways. Booming/GFB, Message, any minor utility thing really.
>>
>>54455146
Their previous DM ran phanveldin for them and they had multiple tpks. He moved out of the state so they asked me to dm. They would be too upset if they died, they already start crying when one of their characters goes unconscious.
>>
>>54455146
But anon, thumb's down doesn't mean anything.
>>
>Sure you can play a drow, but you should know that they're almost universally hated and guardsmen have a strict "arrest and execute on sight" except for incredibly rare individuals for incredibly rare circumstances
>You will need to sneak into towns and cities, guards will try to arrest you on sight, and people will not trust you
>With that in mind, are you sure you want to play a drow?
>>
>>54454705
>tells me enemy is within 20 feet of friend so I can't cast sleep
> next turn goes 60 feet to stairs
> then says he's not within 20 feet of anyone
reeeee, etc
>>
>>54455151
My character is a lawful wood elf, obsessed with old traditions of her circle. Currently looking for some legendary artefacts to try and stop a terrible catastrophe.
My dm is nice, he is usually in favor of any ideas you may try to come up with.
The campaign is a surprise, so we don't really know what's to come.
>>
>>54455135
In general, a Cloak of Resistance +1 is never a bad investment.
Uncommon item, usual cost anywhere from 100-500gp based on DM jewry
>>
>>54454068
>Mending

I think I picked mending on a character once and there were literally zero times I needed to put a small nonmagical item back together. What is my DM doing wrong? In what kinds of situations does Mending come up?
>>
>>54455240
>drowplayer accepts
>DM puts the party together
>party members take one look at Drow and ditch/kill it
A lot of people forget it's not just NPC reactions you have to worry about. The party might not like Drow to begin with, or think the whole "sneaking around town at all times and babysitting this disguised fuckelf" deal isn't worth the hassle.
>>
>>54452340

2 battleaxes?
>>
>>54455240

I wasn't going to play a drow anyway.

How do the guards feel about half-drow?
>>
>>54455240
Most of the time the question of allowing monstrous races hangs on the DM's willingness to go a step beyond and run it like this.
>>
File: Ghoul crop.png (1MB, 958x733px) Image search: [Google]
Ghoul crop.png
1MB, 958x733px
>>54455172
By the 5e Monster Manual, there's no given method short of Orcus shenanigans.
>>
>>54455247
Uh, what? Why exactly didn't he allow the casting? What you said sort of makes no sense in the context of the spell description.
>>
>>54455303
That depends, how black are you?
>>
>>54455314
Huh wouldn't it be cool if there are no new ghouls? Like the ghouls that exist now have always existed since the first dudeghoul created them.
>>
>>54452486
Wait, lemme get this straight

Can you actually teleport people you have grappled around and THEN punch them?
>>54454538
Since EKs get abjuration magic which specializes in defense, they're obscene tanky.
>>
>>54455327
Sleep requires you to cast it at a point, and everything within 20 feet of that point will go to sleep. I wanted to cast sleep on the bad dude, but not my friend, who was kinda close to the enemy. I just didn't want him to fall asleep to.

He's just being wildly inaccurate with distances.
>>
>>54455284
If you cut up rope, or something shatters or breaks (like a window that you climbed through), or if you tore up clothing for bandages, or to gather and repair spent arrows... Lots of uses.
>>
>>54455335

you're the DM, what do half-drow look like in your setting?

What If I'm really black but I say one parent was a high elf and the other was a black human?
>>
>>54455358
Probably not but you could make a weapon attack WITH a nigga then teleport.

A Brawny Goliath could wield a Medium humanoid without issue, and Tavern Brawler gives weapon proficiency.
>>
>>54451310
Rogues aren't good grapplers because they only have one attack and aren't very durable. They also have no reason to raise strength, so they suffer more to be "good" at grappling than another class that just has to free up a hand because they already use strength and athletics.
>>
File: pirotess.jpg (109KB, 308x500px) Image search: [Google]
pirotess.jpg
109KB, 308x500px
>>54455378
Not him, but Drow (stats, not the fluff) in one of my setting were just Brown Elves and no one thought any differently of them except their being more fuckable.
>>
>>54455373

I thought you get half of your spent arrows no matter what. None of those other situations has come up

Now that I think of it though, it probably would be better if we had to get strips of cloth for bandages, instead of just "roll medicine"
>>
What do I need to make potions of healing?
>>
>>54455444
Herbus inventus and sal DMfiatia.
>>
>>54455367
Just cast it anywhere on the side opposite to where your friend is standing? There should be tons and tons of valid target points that leave your friend outside the radius. You target a point, and not a creature, after all.
>>
How important is the survival skill when playing Out of the Abyss?
>>
>>54455508
The gm's a tardo and said it couldn't happen, that's what I was trying to say. He's just being wildly inaccurate with everything.
>>
>>54455528
The Survival skill is 10% dependant on you asking, and 85% on your DM giving a shit. The other 5% is module.
>>
>>54455444
A DM that doesn't say "You need to sit down for like a week with a cauldron to make one".
>>
Anyone have a list of the feats supposedly in Mercer's shitheap of a setting book? Might as well see if any of those are worth salvaging since my DM is a big CR sperg and would probably allow them.
>>
>>54454733
If it'll give you more versatility and room to try new things, I say go for it. If you're ok with the visual style of the tiles then it's basically a decision already made.
>>
>>54455537
What the fuck, man. I'd probably leave the group. Sounds shitty.
>>
>>54455580
Did you get some dorito crumbs on your shoulder or what
>>
>>54450791
homebrew tower shield link
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tower_Shield_(5e_Equipment)
>>
>>54455608
I got nothing against Mercer or his show, it just isn't for me. Just dont try to tell me that setting isn't incredibly generic.

Even the name is literally a WoW name.
>>
>>54455647
Of course it's generic, but it's still decent. Being generic isn't an inherently bad thing
>>
>>54455603
How shitty is it if I leave after the first session I've attended? It's also the second session, if that makes any difference.
>>
>>54455417
Light brown skin makes everything immediately more fuckable and patrician tier.
>>
>>54455550
Heh, fair enough.
>>
>>54455678
Not in itself, no, but that shit is AGGRESSIVELY GENERIC.

Can't blame him for selling it though, it's extra income for something he was probably being nagged for anyways.
>>
>>54455647
>>54455678
Given enough time, everything will be generic. Generic qualities shouldn't impede on fun unless you're the type of sperg who has to have a freshly crafted OC setting every time.
>>
>>54455775
>AGGRESSIVELY GENERIC
You seem like you have some deeply rooted personal issues to discuss
>>
>>54455788
>Given enough time, everything will be generic

not the Wire
>>
>>54455837
never seen it
>>
would you rather fight 20 koboblins or 20 goblolds
>>
What do you do when your DM thinks that smiting on a crit is OP/mixmaxing?
>>
>>54451111
Commission
>>
>>54455993
Tell him that a character would know when they get a critical hit because it's really obvious when you hit a vital spot, so it's not metagaming

And if he still gives you shit then tell him to fuck off and kill himself
>>
>>54451111
>he doesn't edit other peoples' labors of love in GIMP and twist them to his own ends
>>
>>54455993
You tell him to either house rule it (applying the same to Sneak Attack) or stop being a baby.
>>
>>54455993
I can understand why someone feels that smiting is meta-gamey since you only choose to do it if you know the attack hit, but that still feels like a ridiculous claim to me
>>
>>54456119
>He doesn't make his own and draw tokens for the whole party
>>
>>54455970
The first, especially if they're already kebob'd
>>
>>54454820
Why should a second shield protect you even more?

It'd only really protect you anymore if you have more than one opponent attacking you. Otherwise, it's more of a liability than anything.
>>
File: scott-steiner_3002.jpg (68KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
scott-steiner_3002.jpg
68KB, 300x300px
>>54451111
Like this
>>
File: tumblr_ol154nwoK81unm603o2_1280.png (450KB, 971x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ol154nwoK81unm603o2_1280.png
450KB, 971x1000px
I wanna make a Barbarian Tiefling who was raised by an Oni, but I don't know what her Kanabō would be. Greatclub is my first impulse, but it might also be a Maul? Or maybe a Morning Star because of the studs? What do you guys think?

Translator's Note: Kanabō is a two-handed war-club commonly used by Oni in Nihonjin (Japanese) folklore.
>>
>>54456391
i actually made the kanabo (or tetsubo) a D12 weapon in my setting
>>
>When you use this bow, your number of attacks per attack doubles
How broken is this

>When you use this hat, your number of attacks per attack doubles
Yes, it stacks

>When you use these bracers, your number of attacks per attack double
Is this broken yet?

>When you eat this sasquatch heart, your number of attacks per attack doubles for 1d4 centuries
Is this broken

There's no issue giving this to a fighter, right? Or a rogue?
>>
>>54456409
Rogue can still only sneak attack once per turn so it should be fine
>>
>>54456391

Probably a greatclub.
>>
>>54456406
Bludgeoning? And I'm guessing Two-Handed and Heavy?
>>
>>54456409
>There's no issue giving this to a fighter, right?
That depends, how do you feel about your fighter doing 128 attacks in an encounter?
>>
File: 1VWKBxf.png (752KB, 1152x774px) Image search: [Google]
1VWKBxf.png
752KB, 1152x774px
>>54456391
>>
>>54456446
Do you really expect any encounter to last more than 1 round with this setup?
>>
>>54456391
Maul.
>>
>>54456457
>Encounter
I mean round, sorry.
>>
File: VerminLordDetail1.jpg (76KB, 460x450px) Image search: [Google]
VerminLordDetail1.jpg
76KB, 460x450px
>>54449875
trying to come up with a vermin lord esq circle for druid
im thinking of making it a support/debuff circle with a die system similar to circle of twilight
>2nd lv
-you get d4's equal to your druid level
you can roll them to cover yourself in bugs (temp hp)
-or use them on enemies
(disadvantage on attack rolls and concentration checks for number of turns equal to number rolled)
-you also get the poison spray cantrip and can talk to vermin as if you had speak with animals
>6th level
-you can now turn your hand into a spider and detach it for 1 hour per short or long rest, it is the same as a spider familiar
you can hear and see everything the spider does, you can add your proficiency to it's stealth checks, it must be within 5' of you to re-attach as a free action by the hours end or it dies
if it is destroyed your hand painfully regrows and you suffer 4d6 psychic damage and have disadvantage on dexterity skills until your next short or long rest
>10th level
-you can grow spider legs or fly wings to get either fly or climbing speed equal to your movement speed for a number of rounds equal to your level
-you can now move through swarms as if normal terrain and all vermin must roll a will save with dc equal to 10+druid level or are neutral to you, those that fail by >5 are friendly those who fail by >10 are charmed
-you can now turn into swarms of vermin while wildshaped
>14th level
-the druid can create a hiveming with any summoned vermin, as long as you are within 30' of one or more vermin you add double your proficiency to intelligence, wisdom, and charisma saving throws and have tremorsense

certainly wouldnt mind some feedback
>>
File: tumblr_ol154nwoK81unm603o3_1280.png (404KB, 1000x844px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ol154nwoK81unm603o3_1280.png
404KB, 1000x844px
>>54456464
>>54456436

I'm getting mixed input.
>>
>>54456442
correct, it's basically a maul but just a D12 rather than 2d6
>>
>>54456409
The issue that bothers me the most is how doubling is such an inconsistent way to improve something in terms of the way the system is written that only really exists to be exploited. If there was just a magic item that gives you "an additional attack when making the attack action" I could begrudgingly live with it, though I would probably still not let them all stack

Granted I assume you wrote them specifically to be broken
>>
>>54453874

Because

>New to game
>Create Warlock because I love the flavour
>Decide I don't want to be particularly min-maxed, just take stats, skills and spells that fit the character
>Proceeds to create a horribly combat inneficient Warlock (did get high charisma score, not THAT dumb)
>Really good at intimidation/deception and utility spells such as detect thoughts
>Literally one instance where I could use detect thoughts
>NPC told us everything anyway plus he had a nat 20 on the spell save
>Party always commenting how In barely do anything while they chop shit up

We're all new players, including the DM. He's not that proficient yet with social encounters (neither am I to be fair), but it kinda sucks. He gave me (and everybody else) a chance to switch up their character completely after our first campaign, but I'm too attached to him already. We got this cthulhu patron backstory going on which I enjoy.

But I did switch out some spells/invocations to be more combat focused. Also took a stat switch that the DM allowed so I don't get -1 to AC and initiative rolls anymore.
>>
>>54456606
It's not like warlocks really need much to be effective. As long as you're raising charisma, using hex, and picked the agonizing blast invocation you should be contributing.
>>
File: Wendigo1.jpg (55KB, 500x665px) Image search: [Google]
Wendigo1.jpg
55KB, 500x665px
What would be a good monster template to use for a wendigo?
>>
>>54456644

>As long as you're raising charisma
Ofcourse
>using hex, and picked the agonizing blast invocation you should be contributing.
I am now.

Still, I like social encounters more, but there pretty rare in our campaign and I suck at them personally, while my character is supposed to shine at them.
Oh well.
>>
>>54456671
Ghoul or Ghast maybe? Inject some voice imitation into it or something.
>>
How do players feel about NPCs joining the players for a short period?
I wanted to introduce a cleric npc just to show my group of new players a few ways to think outside the box and not just run around murdering everything
anyone ever have a bad experience with this?
>>
>>54456391
>>54456504
this
>>
File: tumblr_ol154nwoK81unm603o1_1280.png (351KB, 1000x795px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ol154nwoK81unm603o1_1280.png
351KB, 1000x795px
>>54456504
>>54456464
I'm gonna go with Maul. Thanks!
>>
>>54456768
Now you just need a reason an Oni wouldn't just eat you.
>>
>>54456525
I'm just kind of mad at how often bows that double attacks as if you're drawing two arrows at once exist and it's late at night so I kind of overdid it
>>
>>54456749
As long as the NPC remains unimportant, and generally stays out of social interactions (unless players bring the NPC up and asks them for help) and the NPC doesn't have crazy plot armor it's fine
>>
>>54456749
>I wanted to introduce a cleric npc just to show my group of new players a few ways to think outside the box and not just run around murdering everything
ehhhhhh
>>
>>54456749
I dunno, DMs playing party members - even temporarily - is never a good idea.
>>
>>54456785
>>54456840
it would just be small things
like why dont we scout before we charge in
basically it's only going to be one dungeon encounter
I have no plans to make him a major character, he's just a side character whos there to help the party rescue his brother
>>
>>54456880
I wouldn't have him pitch in every time, maybe once early on, but let the players come up with their own plans after that
>>
>>54456880
As a DM you can already do any of those things without speaking through an NPC, especially if they're newer players.
Of course you could just ask them if they want an NPC to tag along, or let their characters decide decide.
>>
Playing a necromancer, should I organize my skeletons for ease of use? I'm currently thinking about sending them around in groups of four.
Also, should the groups all have the same equipment, or should there be a distribution within each group, or should like, one group be archers and the other melee chumps?
>>
>>54456671
100% Fomorian
>>
>>54456924
ya good point, i'll make sure to keep their part really small
>>54456948
You're right, I kind of avoided just giving suggestions because they immediately take them and I didn't want to be playing for them
I'll be sure to ask them if they want the NPC to join
>>
what's a fun build to play?
I've been going back and forth between warlock, bard and wizard.
>>
>>54456606
Start CHA 16 and max it as you're able. DEX and CON 14 at least.
Hex and Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast is your no frills damage output.
Hypnotic Pattern is your AoE disable.
Repelling Blast is general combat utility by pushing things around.

There, now you're competent.

Good cantrips:
Prestidigitation
Minor Illusion
Friends

Good invocations:
Agonizing Blast
Repelling Blast
Devil's Sight (can see through the Darkness spell!)
Book of Ancient Secrets (rituals, rituals!)
Misty Visions
Mask of Many Faces
Sculptor of Flesh (Polymorph is that good it's worth it)
>>
>>54457030
If you have fun doing the things bards do, then I don't think there's anything more fun than a bard

Wizards are also great because you can do almost anything once you get past the first few levels
>>
>>54455586
Alright, I decided to get a set of doors as my final addition. I'm fine continuing having outdoor terrain represented by basic grids for the moment. But if you have dungeon tiles, it kinda follows that you also have doors for rooms.
>>
I'm trying to set up a game right now and the book does a bad job at explaining some stuff.

Like, in 4e, it was very clear what you could do at 1st level. Here's your at-wills, your encounter/daily powers, etc. But trying to make everyone's character in 5e- it just tells me what they get when they level up. But I need to know what attacks they have NOW. Do they literally only have basic attacks with their chosen weapon?

Also, what bonus does being trained in a skill confer? If my friend's barbarian is trained in acrobatics, is that a +1? +5??
>>
>>54457196
Read the Player Handbook, it's all there.
>>
>>54457196
If you have proficiency in something, you add your proficiency bonus. Your proficiency bonus scales with level and is shown in the table for literally every class.

> it just tells me what they get when they level up. But I need to know what attacks they have NOW
How the fuck does this confuse you
Everything you get from your class is shown in the class table. Just look at it. Read.
>>
>>54457196
>Do they literally only have basic attacks with their chosen weapon?
Yes.
>Also, what bonus does being trained in a skill confer?
You add your proficiency bonus, which is found in like the first 5 pages of the PHB

The book doesn't do a bad job of explaining, you just aren't reading it properly
>>
>>54454733
>interlocking tiles

Where do you get that kind of thing? As much as I love (hate) taping pieces of paper together and having it be pushed around and crunched up by the end of the session, tiles sounds better.
>>
is tavern brawler shield master battle master captain america build as retarded as it sounds?
>>
File: 1500085106770.png (283KB, 649x671px) Image search: [Google]
1500085106770.png
283KB, 649x671px
>>54457196
>>
>>54457248
As retarded as not knowing how to use commas? Yeah, kinda
>>
>>54457248
You're basically using a feat just to use a weaker weapon than a normal sword and board set up.
>>
File: read nigga.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
read nigga.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>54457196
>>
>>54455993
Sodomize him with a cheese grater
>>
New thread

>>54457306
>>54457306
>>54457306
>>54457306
>>54457306
>>
>>54457238
I actually had mine custom made. A buddy from a campaign I used to be in had access to a laser etching machine and he did a set of ten roughly 1 foot square tiles and a set of ten 6 inch square tiles using acrylic sheets.

But I've seen them on Amazon. Look up "Clear Battle Tiles" or "Dry Erase Dungeon Tiles." The clear battle tiles are basically what I have, but more generic.
>>
>>54457641
I don't see why not
>>
>>54449905
Troy Baker really IS in everything
>>
>>54455639
>dandwiki

haha no
>>
how do I make a deep gnome wizard who hates Drows, Illithids, and Psionics in general?

How can I have my spell selection reflect that?
>>
>>54456487
i was this close to saying "well using d4's would have to be a bonus action and that's pretty above average to gain a d4 every level"
and then i remembered moon druid is a fucking thing
good job on the fresh brew though
>>
>>54458757
>>54458767

new thread
>>54457306
>>
>>54455263
>Magic item shops
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.