[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you run an Isekai campaign /tg/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 259
Thread images: 53

File: Garbage.jpg (72KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
Garbage.jpg
72KB, 600x315px
How would you run an Isekai campaign /tg/?
>>
>>54446884
Isekai?
>>
File: 1495997958098.jpg (78KB, 625x464px) Image search: [Google]
1495997958098.jpg
78KB, 625x464px
>>54446884
I ran one for 12~ sessions, 3 of which were setup in the real world.

For a while it was less "Is it okay to hit on girls in a dungeon? Ch 3 Vol 2 Part 3", and more Digimon Adventure. Fuck those "JRPG elements exist and are real! the goddess wants us to fight the monster lord!", hack writing is shit, instead this was just about getting back home.

Upon isekai they got stranded in a tundra/Alaska that was razed by the main villain, so most of that first act was spent hyping up their first town visit. It went off the rails when they crossed an ocean by biplane and started questing around for money and cool shit. Anyway the baseballer turned into a ninja, the dinosaur-geek turned into a barbarian and the skateroller girl turned into a MILF after drinking a steroid-filled potion of experience.
>>
>>54446884
By throwing away everything that makes it stereotypically isekai. The players aren't special, aren't impressive, the world isn't a fucking jrpg, and life in this magical new world honestly kind of sucks.
>>
>>54446884
Straight. Deconstructions can burn in a thousand raging balls of gas for all eternity.
>>
File: 3c1.png (305KB, 680x381px) Image search: [Google]
3c1.png
305KB, 680x381px
>>54446884
Konosuba

>>54447055
>>54447055
Alternatively, do the stereotypical isekai ad absurdum.
>All PCs have high CHA, INT, and WIS, with very little difference in personality, and are total chick magnets.
>Each of them gets a choice of two super op feats and two super-special-can-only-be-weilded-by-them weapons.
>Make things so JRPG that talking to NPCs again causes them to repeat lines, characters do 10^3 damage to 10^5 enemies and 10^8 (fuck your significant figures, it's all 0s).
>Every PC gets at least 3 girls in their harem, each with very useful special abilities, but most of them are fucking useless damsels without you. Tokenism strongly encouraged. You are not allowed to fuck any of them until you choose one.
>>
>>54446884
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Stranded_in_fantasy
>>
File: ps_cover.jpg (247KB, 450x576px) Image search: [Google]
ps_cover.jpg
247KB, 450x576px
>>54446884
How would we run a portal fantasy?
I wonder...
>>
>>54446884

Like the magic hobo multiple-jump story from the last isekai thread.
>>
>>54446993
japanese term (I guess it's japanese) for a genre, were the main-char gets teleported in another world.
Usually a person from our world gets teleported in a fantasy world.
Like Alice in Wonderland.
>>
>>54446884
just use maid rpg and change it by making the maids into the members of the MC's harem.
>>
>>54446884
>>54449240
or just use any other system, and players act like they were teleported in this world
>>
>>54447055
>By throwing away everything that makes it stereotypically isekai
I used to think isekai wasn't that bad, until I saw that new smartphone isekai anime.

>Guy is killed by accident, God sends him to an alternate world
Alright, standard enough for isekai stories
>He can take one item with him, which is a smartphone with an eternal battery, universal internet access and God's phone number
Hey, that's actually a pretty interesting premise. He's a normal guy in a world of might and magic with an item that, though not directly powerful, can be incredibly useful. I wonder how he'll use this to work around his weakness and inability to get magic?
>All of his stats are also boosted to superhuman levels, he can use all six major schools of magic when even people who can master three schools are exceedingly rare, and he can use every single 'null magic' type spell he comes across
>He also cures a blind woman in the second episode, effectively making him the Jesus of that setting
Yeah, fuck that shit. The only reason I'm not dropping it is because there's not much else airing this season worth watching.

Oh, and let's not forget that everyone is devoid of personality.
>The MC is a blank slate
>The two main love interests are a cliché "strong, assertive sister and smart, meek sister" pair
>The samurai girl speaks in a very formal manner and loves to eat, this makes her the most developed character so far

Fucking hell, and I can't believe I actually defended the isekai genre before now. I guess I just lucked out and only watched/read the ones that were at least passable.
>>
>>54449329
Bathroom Goddess is the only isekai genre story I've read that isn't cliche trash or epic Japanese memes.
>>
>>54449385
>Bathroom Goddess
Is that the one where the MC literally becomes a toilet? After hearing about the one where the MC becomes a hot spring and the one where the MC becomes a vending machine I shouldn't be surprised.
>>
>>54449437
It's about an office lady whose bathroom window occasionally acts as a portal to a non-JRPG fantasy world
>>
The biggest problem I imagine would be making the person transported into the world part less pathetic. I like the idea of running a game in world where the rules of it are overtly videogame like, but I can't really get my group into it
>>54449437
It's fun to just look at the titles of light novels and never read them for all the shit similar to this you find
>>
>>54447055
What's even the point then? The reason that the PCs choose to go to go to the alternate world after my dying is because it's better than the alternative. If you make it worse they have no reason to accept the offer and will just choose to pass on. Congratulations, you've made Isekai even more shit by taking away any sense of internal coherency it once had, now the only reason the PCs have to do anything is because the plot tells them to.
>>
>>54449601
Dying and having any choice in the world they go to are really only a sometimes thing in isekai
>>
>>54446884
By running it as Isekai. All those harem tropes are just associated with Isekai, they aren't a required part of the genre. Alice in Wonderland is an Isekai. The party is a bunch of various people who for one reason or another, are bored with their everyday life. So they get teleported into a fantasy world as part of a bet between two gods, and now have to figure out how to literally slay a deity by exploring the fantasy world they find themselves in.
>>
>>54449329
>one shite example ruins an entire genre.
I guess you literally don't enjoy anything.
>>
>>54449835
So... Drifters then?
>>
>>54446884
That's called "a stranger in a strange land" plot, and it's nothing new.
>B-b-but!
Wizard of Oz, Gulliver's Travels, Alice in the Wonderland etc. etc.
Stop making this thinly veiled anime general thread for umpteenth time, for fuck's sake. You will receive no new wisdom out of it.
>>
File: oh boy.jpg (57KB, 188x220px) Image search: [Google]
oh boy.jpg
57KB, 188x220px
How would I?

I would go to my players and say "stat yourself"
>>
>>54449895
Never seen Drigters, actually.
>>
>>54449940
>I would go to my players and say "stat yourself"
And you'll get either overestimation of stats from Those Guys, or underestimation from anti-social spaghetti-dropping fa/tg/uys.
>>
>>54449867
Nah, more like I can see why it's so hated on /a/. It doesn't make the isekai I already enjoy any less enjoyable. In my eyes the smartphone one *defines* what makes a bad isekai.
>>
>>54449996
>the smartphone one
How is it any different from literally any BROB thread on SpaceBattles, though?
I mean, seriously, it's the bottom of the bin.
This anime would've never got funded in the 00s.
>>
>>54449977
I know them

they aren't "those guys" and they aren't anti-social
in any case they would all do the same thing because of the really similar mindset of them all, so...
>oh, you all want to play the "high stats shit?" worry not because the encounters you are going to find are going to be fucking difficult as shit
>oh so you are being humble? (the most likely scenario) worry not, because coming to this magical realm has given you super powers to fight evil and shit, so you have now great stats fitting your assigned archetype

I'm too used to high power campaigns, I can't balance low level for shit
>>
>>54449977
Which works perfectly. After all, the two main types of Isekai protagonists are:

1. Spaghtti-droppers who are terrible at everything, but get OP Cheat skills that make up for how garbage everything else about them is

2. Faggots who are inexplicably master kendo fighter super-geniuses who have memorized everything from modern medicine to agriculture to manufacturing modern firearms, and are also better at fighting than legendary warriors in the setting.
>>
>>54446884
erm.. solo campaign I guess.
I mean.. I guess it could be fun with a party of main characters fighting over who gets to be the übermain character.
But only if you get a huge kill-for-all ending.
You need to make the characters want to kill the others. Have them all have some "kill and get their power" ability beyond their unique skill.

But yeah, tons of powerups (probably have them roll for it so it makes some stronger than others), harems.. or even better, have them fight for harem members. You know that cute 9000 year old asura unicorn centaur loli that you just met? Well fight for her. Fight for her LOVE!

TL;DR: PvP I guess
>>
>>54450058
> I can't balance low level for shit
You know those first-level quests like "kill the rats in the inn's cellar"?
Well, guess what, the thing is, if the first-level PCs are tasked with this, then it means that commoners are simply incapable of doing it.
Like literally, commoners die to rats.
There's your go-to "low power" measure for encounters.
>>
>>54450072
Which is fucking unfortunate.

Japanese isekai is a mistake, and unfortunately, there's nothing that can fix it besides changing the Japanese culture of escapism and power fantasy itself.
>>
>>54446884
into traffic
>>
>>54450055
I haven't watched it and know nothing about it, but I just assumed that smartphone isekai thing was a thinly veiled advertisement for a phone or an app or something similar considering how bad it looked
>>
>>54450125
Or just only watching/reading the few good ones. It's not like you need to fully embrace a genre to enjoy something
>>
>>54450125
>nothing that can fix it besides changing the Japanese culture of escapism and power fantasy
What is wrong with those things? They are basically the cornerstones of tabletop gaming.
>>
>>54446884
no
>>
Grimgar but played straight, not the edgelord angsty murderfest the writing turns out as.
Focus on exploring and learning the rules of the world, don't give the PCs any information at all about it unless they learn it themselves the hard way.
>>
>>54450055
>BROB thread on SpaceBattles
wat?

>>54450356
It's not. Perhaps it's bad to judge an anime by only its first two episodes, but the guy has only once used the smartphone the anime is named after in a clever way. Every other problem he has solved by simply being OP.
>>
>>54450588
>wat?
Spacebattles is a relatively obscure sci-fi forum that many of its users seem to believe is widely known about.

The BROB subforum is basically just quests under a different name, and many of them are just as poorly written and blatant wish fulfillment faggotry as any of the old /tg/ quests.
>>
>>54450652
SpaceBattles, BeastLair, Anon-kun, /qst/ - all of these serve the same purpose and all of them are bottom of the bin.

Besides, the only reason I know about SpaceBattles is because I read fanfiction on regular basis.
>>
>>54446884
Make the characters showing up in the setting the threats, cast the PCs as natives dealing with entitled fucks that are nonetheless terrifyingly powerful and that have a horrifying ability to attract the weak-willed.
>>
File: It's Rape Time.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
It's Rape Time.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>54449329
>>
>>54446884
I wouldn't
>>
>>54446884
DEUS VULT
>>
>>54452082
>Falling for the loli Hitler meme
>>
The aspect of the genre where the characters come from a "the real world" is basically free license to be as metagamey as possible. Plenty of isekai examples would have worlds that would be fine to base a game in, but I wouldn't want to run a game where the players are actually from earth
>>
>>54452082
This is a pretty good example of the other end of the isekai spectrum I really fucking hate with things like Re:Monster or shield hero
>>
>>54452082
>A party of mages in the Youjo Senki setting
Would actually be a pretty neat idea, if there was a good system to run it.
>>
>>54452254
Just remember: Never. EVER. EEEVER piss of the Smug Duck of Imminent Victory, lest you get stationed in a pillbox or something worse.
>>
>>54452305
Good luck smug duck!
>>
>>54452206
Yeah it fucking sucks. everything sucks, everything.
>>
File: GOOD LUCK LITTLE DUCK.jpg (71KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
GOOD LUCK LITTLE DUCK.jpg
71KB, 640x640px
>>54452348
close enough.
>>
File: dog days.jpg (208KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dog days.jpg
208KB, 1280x720px
As a hybrid of Ninja Warrior and Dynasty Warrior obviously.
I'd probably run it in 4e
>>
>>54446884
I was planning a MMORPG based one where would-be players get transported in a mixed-reality universe of the game due to a chaos magic autist hacking into the game to switch the title screen for a arcane sigil.
Would probably play like Log Horizon, but with more gender issues.
>>
File: I Hate Fairyland.png (165KB, 477x734px) Image search: [Google]
I Hate Fairyland.png
165KB, 477x734px
Now available in anime-free flavor with 20% extra edge.
>>
File: e374d4e24ffc4b1726fba1b9954c2c27.jpg (558KB, 2888x2000px) Image search: [Google]
e374d4e24ffc4b1726fba1b9954c2c27.jpg
558KB, 2888x2000px
>>54452622
>gender issues
Try watching Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, there's a bit of that going on, when it's not busy being a Tenchi Muyo spinoff.
>>
>>54446884
I wouldn't
>>
>>54452702
Is this a series with an uncensored version?
>>
>>54452855
Not exactly, but it was an OVA series, so the best you'll get is barely obscured by a wet, white bathing suit.
>>
The Wandering Inn is probably the best Isekai story I've ever read.
https://wanderinginn.wordpress.com/
One of the characters who gets focused on is an insufferable cunt at first, but she gets better later.
>>
>>54446884
Players are a bunch of guys who died doing something good. Like saving someone else from death tier good, kind of action. A minor Goddess, impressed by their noble efforts, decides to help them out a bit by letting them skip the cycle of waiting to be reborn, and simply pop them into a nearby timeline where they never existed.

In that way, they are now on a new quest. The Goddess, with her last bits of strength that she could reserve for them, told them that should they do something mighty again, she could maybe bring them back to their worlds, maybe even their time.

And que the, "They're in a fantasy/sci-fi world" thing. They'd get the generic Isekai perk of having something unique about them, I figure I'd go for near REEEEE:zero tier, in that they'd get to just pop back to being alive again. Anyway, in the end it would be revealed that if they had helped the minor goddess and achieved glory, she was only using them to get more power. Their selfishness to go home (despite the good actions) was the fuel required to help kickstart another rebellion against the more Major Gods.

Then there could be some God fighting, siding, etc.

Meanwhile, if they just choose to live a normal life in the fantasy setting, then shit is cash and nothing happens. They just enjoy being immortal forever.
>>
>>54452702
How so?
Wiki sinopsis doesn't really say a lot.

I was thinking of playing around how a lot of guys play girls and a lot of girls play guys.
>>
>>54453260
The setting is one where instead of conventional weapons and warfare, they have giant robots, and the pilots are called Seikishi,
Not everybody can pilot a robot because of the Ahou energy they give off, and even those that can will eventually have to give up for a while as it makes them sick.
Ahou resistance is genetic, and it's mostly found in women. So, most of the pilots are women, and rarely, say 1 in 100, maybe, will be male.
So, if you're a male pilot, you're treated like a prized race horse and expected to impregnate as many female pilots as you can.
As a woman, you're expected to have a couple of children, preferably with a male pilot, though not all get the chance, and fight in the wars and shit.

There's a bit more, but that's about 75% of it, except for the little details that didn't get into the anime, like what Marriage means to a male pilot.
>>
>>54453493
That sounds weird, which is great.
And it just happens that I was looking for some animu to watch.
Thanks, anon.
>>
Start with Guardians of the Flame.
stop there.
>>
>>54446884

Do it the other way around, transport a normal band of adventurers into our world.
>>
File: 1098382508928.png (2MB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1098382508928.png
2MB, 1200x675px
>>54446884
Do isekai, but do the genre as if it was made by a gritty Occidental person rather than an otaku fiction mill. In other words no harem, no JRPG memes, relatively subtle humor if any, and almost no bizarre or wacky things. The main characters are also not gifted with anything but instead rely on their sheer knowledge and wisdom to get through their problems.
>>
>>54446884
3 Hearts and 3 Lions is THE archetypal Isekai*. Also one of the main inspirations for D&D.
Also, people played as themselves in the original Blackmoor and Greyhawk campaigns.

Half-ass your setting as hard as Arneson and Gygax did, and you game should superficially resemble Isekai.

*the only thing is does wrong is have a coherent plot with good pacing
>>
>>54446884
None of the PCs are Earthlings. They're trying to stop the Earthlings from ruining everything.
>>
File: 1632-Eric_Flint_(2000)_cover.jpg (35KB, 274x440px) Image search: [Google]
1632-Eric_Flint_(2000)_cover.jpg
35KB, 274x440px
>>54446884
Like so.
>>
>>54446884

Grimgar.

Grimgar is all about a group of randoms thrust into an OSR setting. First the party leader dies, then the tank dies, then the love interest dies. Then the protagonist sets off on a doomed quest to resurrect her.
>>
>>54449867
Anon, you don't understand how bad Smartphone Isekai is. It's so bad that it taints the entire genre. Remember when Batman And Robin killed superhero movies for a decade? This is worse. I'm not sure the author understands any other plot device besides Deus ex Machina.

>The samurai girl speaks in a very formal manner and loves to eat, this makes her the most developed character so far
Not one, but TWO character traits! Guess we know who wins the blandbowl. Spoilers, 90% chance nobody wins.
>>
>>54449601
Now and Then, Here and There.

Dying then having a choice of going to another world is shit. Guy gets pulled into a conflict from another world, and winds up in a terrible shithole mad max world where a psychopathic king uses an army of child soldiers to take control of water to power a super weapon.
>>
>>54457603

Wait, WHO dies?
>>
>>54457664
Best girl.
>>
>>54457664

Mary dies. She's killed by a poison arrow. She tries to tell Haru she loves him, but the breath just won't come.
>>
File: 1487240398537.jpg (375KB, 826x1295px) Image search: [Google]
1487240398537.jpg
375KB, 826x1295px
>>54446884
Run it like Drifters.

The PCs are already established historical figures that have been summoned to save the world from other more malevolent historical figures.
>>
File: restaurant.jpg (181KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
restaurant.jpg
181KB, 1280x720px
This is how I Isekai.
>>
>>54457724

Does fucking Ranta die as well?
>>
Like it was 9 Princes of Amber
>>
>>54453493
Replace ahou with ahegao and you have an ERP.
>>
>>54457634
Actually they all marry him.
Also later there are giant robots
>>
>>54458198
I have to say, there are times when anime pulls off the genre blender right but this does not sound like one of them.
Someone recommend me good isekai/reincarnation novels
>>
>>54458298
I like Konosuba. At least it breaks the mold somewhat by having a jerk MC and a non-harem group.
I don't watch much anime, though.
>>
>>54446884
The same way you would run any other parallel universe story.

Isekai isn't new: it's Narnia
>>
>>54458009

He's still alive, but he's fucked. He's on the run from Dark Knights, who want to gut him for being prick. Also, he fought Haruhiro and lost, then Haru basically exiled him from the party. (To be fair, Ranta was implied to be holding back.)
>>
File: Ouroboros1[1].jpg (325KB, 824x1195px) Image search: [Google]
Ouroboros1[1].jpg
325KB, 824x1195px
>>54446884
By keeping the reincarnation a theme of the narrative
>>
File: 1435323978410.png (2MB, 992x707px) Image search: [Google]
1435323978410.png
2MB, 992x707px
>>54458121
Son, when Mexiah is on the screen, it's already an ERP.
And Yukine tried, bless her heart.
>>
>>54458403
>it's Narnia
Hell, it at least dates back to John Carter of Mars.
>>
>>54458614
Literally Alice in Wonderland
>>
>>54458475
The Grimgar spoilers I've heard for a while now are kind of frustrating. I really liked the anime, but they make it sound like the tone just completely shifts at some point. Hearing them I don't even want to read it to check
>>
>>54458614
Depending on how far we go with this, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court or The Blazing World predate it.

The Blazing World predates pretty much everything else, coming out in fucking 1666.
>>
File: Hitler Did Nothing Wrong.png (847KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
Hitler Did Nothing Wrong.png
847KB, 1280x738px
>>54457730
Counterpoint:

Run it like Drifters, the PCs are already established historical figures that have been summoned to ruin the world harder than other historical figures.
>>
>>54446884
Do it like an 80's Fantasy B-movie.

The players are fantasy characters, by the power of PLOT and BUDGET they are transported to downtown LA for their adventure.
>>
>>54459000
The super mario bros movie?
>>
>>54459000
Isekai has its problems, but that's no reason to inflict the He-Man movie on your players
>>
>>54446884
Honestly, I'm pretty torn between having a normal fantasy world and drop people in it and having the PCs have some special role.
A normal fantasy setting avoids all the bullshit and would work great for a sandbox campaign, but you don't have much that you can't get in a normal campaign. It really depends on your players to bring something unique via their character's modern knowledge.
If you give the players a special role, that might scare of a few genre savvy players or feel to rail-roady, but you also can establish a goal early on and give the PCs a chance to acclimate to the setting.
You could also play on narrative conventions by having the world set up as your standard wish fullfilment, but instead of MC-kun the players got transported into it. "Why are there five reincarnations of the great hero?", "You have been born with the only power that can defeat the demon lord" "No, I'm a sysadmin", etc.

Guess it depends on your playerbase in the end, but I feel you're loosing something when you have to discuss their knowledge of anime for an hour before you know where to take the campaign.
>>
>>54449329
Konosuba is good isekai.

Made in Abyss looks promising, but.it's not isekai.
>>
There is a reverse isekai anime this season about a restaurant in Shibuya that connects to a fantasy world. One of the Powers that Be of that famtasy world is a fiercely loyal customer.
>>
>>54458298
>Konosuba
A comedy about a group of horrible people becoming genuine friends and adventuring together. A light-hearted love letter to the absurdity of fantasy, mostly JRPG variant.

>Log Horizon
When a new expansion hits the playerbase of a WoW-style MMO is trapped in it's worlds. The story is about how societies form and interact with this world and how the old game rules influence life as they become more concrete and complex systems. Heavy focus on economics early on.
Might look a bit like it's part of the bad side of the genre, but branches out with lots of characters with their own goals and motivations. On undefined hiatus as author is in jail for tax evasion.

>Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
Big group of people thrown into fantasy world without any memories, forced to become level 1 adventures. Follows a group of teenagers as they try to make a living killing goblins. Not much happens in the anime, but it's pretty relaxing with one or two good fight scenes.

>Re:Zero
Guy gets pulled into fantasy world and resets to a specific point in time whenever he dies. Has a few great moments like anything with Sloth and you can see the character slowly break down from all the horrific shit he suffers through. One very interesting part is seeing him build up the entitlement that's usually a given in the genre.
But sadly character motivations are pretty weak to the point where "protagonist is compelled by magic sent from the future" is the most reasonable explanation.

>Drifters
Two god-like entities summon historical figures to fight a proxy war in a fantasy world. Fighter planes vs. dragons, a human supremacist empire founded by Hitler, Jesus Christ out to genocide humanity.

>Sword Art Online Progressive
At it's best it's mediocre, still full of ass pulls and showering the main duo with praise, but it's also one big apology to every other character and people who suffered through the original bloody well deserve that.
>>
>>54458669

I don't know, I like it a lot. The series is a lot more fun when characters are dying off and so on. The progression feels natural, because the characters are constantly in deep shit and trying to extricate themselves from it. There's never a point where you go "Oh, they're all going to be all right, they'll just steamroller this."

They haven't fundamentally changed or become uber, they're just clawing their way on.
>>
File: simoun-info.jpg (243KB, 610x450px) Image search: [Google]
simoun-info.jpg
243KB, 610x450px
>>54453742
>That sounds weird
Wait till you watch Simoun.
>>
>>54458298
Ouroboros Record is great. Pity the wn translations are slow.
Youjo Senki is good, but I'd recommend the LN, then the manga, then the anime if you want to pick one to read
>>
>ctrl+f
>no Galaxy Quest
>no Erfworld

Like those are both good examples of isekai done well. Normal people are mistaken for amazing heroes and have to either do the thing they were summoned for or they risk probable death either from the disillusioned people who summoned them or the world they're now in. Also they're just normal people, it's all a misunderstanding.
I actually ran that once, back in 3.5 I had the players make 12th level D&D characters, whatever class they wanted. Then they made second level d20Modern characters. We did White Plume Mountain, and at the end I go "Aaaaaaand CUT! Great job guys, you really pulled it off.." and had them mingle with their director and other film crew. Then as they were waiting for a cab to get them from the bar they'd gone to, they got sucked into a portal to Generic Fantasy World to fight an evil wizard. They were able to advance as their normal Hero classes, or if they took a feat they could advance as D&D classes. The guy who'd played a wizard in the movie sequence started to level as a bard, which almost confused the king who'd ordered them summoned. The king's advisor caught on and helped them as much as he could. It was a good game until one of the players moved away.
>>
File: 1494875236176.jpg (3MB, 3249x2008px) Image search: [Google]
1494875236176.jpg
3MB, 3249x2008px
Basically Dunbine. The PC's are just a handful of many people taken from the real world. Then all the magic bullshit from the fantasy world gets to the real world.
Giant bug mechs optional but recommended.
>>
PCs find themselves transported another world. This land is overrun by monsters of all types and powers that the players find familiar enough to have knowledge about but not enough to hunt or kill them. Eventually, they meet someone who is seeking help to tame the monsters to defend people from a conquering warlord who leads an army of monsters.

The players aren't particularly cool or tough, but they have their modern stuff and knowledge. They need to understand in this faraway land the monsters rule.
>>
>>54446884
I'd tell my players to play self inserts
>>
>>54446884
Make THAT GUY into the only girl that's surrounded in a Harem of guys.

Then tell him to take his animu ideas elsewhere.
At least do a good reincarnation story instead of this Japanese Beta MC with all the bitches and OP powers summoned to a dragon quest world.
>>
>>54455935
>THE archetypal Isekai
that's not A Connecticut Yankee, anon
>>
>>54462492
3 hearts & 3 lions hits the shitty cliches common to modern Japanese wank.
>>
>>54450426
The japs take it much farther than any westerner would dare, hence their love of give-up machines and virtual wives
https://youtu.be/nkcKaNqfykg
>>
>>54450426
They take it to entirely new, sadder level. The level of not giving a fuck and just living in their own fantasy is sad and cringy, and that's coming from a fa/tg/uy
>>
>>54450426
(insert long-winded pseud lecture about demographic decline, NEETs, and herbivore men like those are super-common things and not media circus shit here)
>>
>>54446884
The Isekai protagonist is the game's antagonist.
>>
>>54460900
Galaxy Quest is the best trek movie, fight me.
>>
>>54458298
I liked Zero no Tsukaima, although I only read the first 15 volumes of 22. The author died after 20 and it was later finished from his notes. It's from before the genre became common and helped define much of it. It has some of the obnoxious cliches and annoying tsundere drama, mostly towards the beginning, but actually develops pretty well. You might be put off a bit at the protagonist being the typical overpowered special ability type at first, but as it goes on he gets the shit kicked out of him a bit and learns that his abilities just give him a bit of a leg up he has to train like everyone else.
Avoid the anime.
>>
>>54446884
The party consists of people native to the setting's world. They're adventurers who find their living in danger when some teenage dunce and his harem start taking all the good jobs. Example: Can your party secure the artifact before they do?
>>
>>54460286
>Heavy focus on economics early on.
>On undefined hiatus as author is in jail for tax evasion.
top kek

thanks anon
>>
File: Wow So Databased.gif (752KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Wow So Databased.gif
752KB, 480x270px
>>54460286
>as author is in jail for tax evasion.
Shouldn't have blown all that money buying all the land in Yamato in an attempt to corner the real estate market.
>>
>>54460286
>Not much happens in the anime

Fucking understatement. Three episodes in and literally not one thing happened.
Avoid.
>>
>>54460607
I need to get around to finishing that. Wasn't their a time travel plot in there? And the villains doing nothing wrong?
>>
File: Ork stare.jpg (159KB, 700x542px) Image search: [Google]
Ork stare.jpg
159KB, 700x542px
>>54460286
>>54466003

The only time Grimgor Ironhide's Fantasy of Ash got interesting was when the priest died and Leeroy Jenkins the Daemon Summoner got all the focus.
>>
>>54465887
Like half of the minor characters run some sort of company, starting a buisness is a major plot point of the series.
It was even somewhat know that the guy had trouble because of that in the past, but then he went and did it again.

>>54465296
>group of people get transported to fantasy world
>MC-kun becomes very skilled/gets/develops a special power
>gets a bit attention from the ladies, assumes he's in the standard isekai story
>world doesn't live up to his entitlement
>MC-kun becomes bitter and his heroics become more and more violent and extreme to finally get the recognition he believes to deserve
>believes other people are jealous/have it out for him when they try to reign him in
>gets into a bunch of conspiracy theories to explain that he isn't the hero and the world's problems aren't solved by his murderhoboing
>starts a bloody revolution to remove the corrupt goverment/kill the hidden evil overlord/reveal the evil shapeshifting lizards that control the government.

Bonus points if MC-kun was friendly with players or started his downward spiral when rejected by a female PC.
>>
>>54446884
Your character dies
Due to the choices you made your character now wakes up and realizes that he has been reborn in the Xth layer of (local afterlife) where he spends the rest of eternity in eternal pain and suffering. The end
Roll of a new character
>>
>>54465558
I think I got brain damage from the latter seasons of Zero no tsukaima, but since it was one of the first anime I watched it still holds a place in my heart. Are the novels infinitely better than the anime?
>>
File: 1487045511965.jpg (173KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1487045511965.jpg
173KB, 900x1200px
>>54452499
GOOD LUCK LITTLE DUCK
>>
>>54466160
I haven't actually watched the anime because everyone I've heard talk about it says how much it went away from the plot of the books, regressed any character development at the start of each season, and cut out major character moments like Louise attempting suicide when she thinks Saito is dead.
I'll admit my memory is a bit foggy because it's been a long time since I read it and at the time I had only read about a dozen LNs, but it did keep me engrossed enough to read all 15 volumes that were translated at the time. Even when it did one of my most hated plots that usually makes me drop something immediately.
>>
File: escapism.png (544KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
escapism.png
544KB, 720x480px
>>54450426
>What is wrong with those things?
Because social structure of Japan is so intent on denying individualism that the only way people can get reprieve from their society is engaging escapism and power fantasy so powerful that it looks like a mockery in comparison to stuff we consider escapism.
http://www.kalzumeus.com/2014/11/07/doing-business-in-japan/
>>
File: Check These Sub-woofers.gif (239KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
Check These Sub-woofers.gif
239KB, 512x288px
>>54466263
The first two seasons are fine, after that it drops straight into the toilet. Also the maid becomes completely unlikable.
>>
>>54446884
That's every session, anon.
>>
File: 1435622173896.jpg (131KB, 905x572px) Image search: [Google]
1435622173896.jpg
131KB, 905x572px
>>54467235
How badly do they treat best girl?
>>
>>54446884
The force that sent them to the new world only did so because they were the first people to say "yes." There's no 'demon lord' to defeat or anything, but there are minor conflicts to be solved and most of the world is wilderness. The place is a pleasant alternative to the fast-paced modern world if you keep yourself clean, but it's not that exciting and everyone wanted to be super-special heroes, not some halfling rancher raising mushroom cows.
>>
File: Tiger.png (654KB, 1134x709px) Image search: [Google]
Tiger.png
654KB, 1134x709px
>>54467354
Tabitha is treated fine, I guess. She's important in the 3rd season for reasons I don't recall but they involve a rescue mission and her dragon turning into a girl with big tits.

But Kirche is demonstrably best girl because she leaves the fucking harem.
>>
>>54467482
>spoiler

But how? Where did she acquire that kind of power?
>>
>>54467535
Her name is German, so she is either nobillity or a powerful magician. It also means church, so I'm guessing some sort of spirit stuff was involved?
>>
>>54446884
The MC is just another NPC while the party members play his haremettes vying for his affection.
>>
>>54467647
>literally Maid RPG
>>
>>54467616
She is nobility, pretty much everyone in the series is, but her family was from another country from where the story takes place and didn't have much political influence in things. Also it's possible to buy nobility were she's from, she suggests that the MC become a treasure hunter until he can save up enough to do it.
>>
File: fsn_gilgamesh0020[1].png (200KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
fsn_gilgamesh0020[1].png
200KB, 704x396px
>>54446884
Why is this kid dressed like Gilgamesh?
>>
>>54467676
That would give MC a concrete goal and get us out of highschool as we explore this new and exiting world.

That would be horrible.
>>
>>54467763
They had the war for that.
>>
File: britania.jpg (19KB, 265x266px) Image search: [Google]
britania.jpg
19KB, 265x266px
>>54446884
Like Ultima.
>>
>>54467535
Bitches love airships.
>>
File: Betrayal.gif (954KB, 326x212px) Image search: [Google]
Betrayal.gif
954KB, 326x212px
>>54467780
Early Ultima, mid Ultima, or EA Ultima?
>>
>>54467900
Black gate Ultima.
First three are too batshit and I don't trust players to act like noble heroes enough for mid Ultima.
>>
Cyberpunk dystopia where microstates aligned around different ethnic, political or whatever ideals (think The Diamond Age) exist in a world fragmented by an insane A.I.

The A.I. is obsessed with a popular and stereotypical fantasy MMO which in the years since the crash has become almost impossibly layered and complex from the A.I. working on it, so that it's essentially a full virtual world. In the real world communities are divided between playing the MMO - identifying themselves to the A.I. but possibly also gaining favor/rewards from it, maybe you get "a wish" at a sufficient level or achievement - and total, off-the-grid opposition to it.

The PCs are citizens of cyberpunk microstates who meet in the MMO world and align themselves with each other there. Whenever you 'log off' we play at least one session in the physical world at first, later you might find you're not able to log off at all.

This is probably breaking the rules but the idea is obviously it's (ultimately) isekai within another fictional setting in the first place. In terms of the genre, my faves:

>best overall: the wizard knight
>concept I find most interesting: tower of god
>best weeaboo thing: natsunokumo
>>
File: Raid Party.jpg (3MB, 5120x1484px) Image search: [Google]
Raid Party.jpg
3MB, 5120x1484px
>>54460286
>On undefined hiatus as author is in jail for tax evasion.
Actually untrue.
He wasn't jailed and just paid back the required taxes.
Apparently the guy he'd hired to do his finances fucked up.

Log Horizon is a rather good series, though, especially if you've played early WoW or earlier MMOs.
>>
>>54468445
>Actually untrue. He wasn't jailed and just paid back the required taxes. Apparently the guy he'd hired to do his finances fucked up.

When this happened, there were a lot of Japanese writers on Twitter commenting on how they nearly made the same mistake. Something about income from certain sources (like doujin sales) only being taxable once it reaches a certain threshold, and how most people in those areas never earn enough to run into it (and don't see themselves as professionals, hence don't hire lawyers to look into this kind of thing).

Remember that Maoyuu started as a quest/greentext thread.
>>
>>54457653
Girl from tomorrow?
>>
>>54465887
>>54460286
>>54465995
>On undefined hiatus as author is in jail for tax evasion
Motherfuckers. I was there the day that 'news' came out. He didn't even go to goddamn court, just paid the taxes he hadn't. He didn't intend to commit tax fraud, it just accidentally happened because I guess he didn't read his employment contract or something and thought it would be taken out of his paycheck like a normal job
>>
File: HyperKent.jpg (33KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
HyperKent.jpg
33KB, 300x300px
Have an NPC who's been transported from the "real" world, or a world closely resembling modern Earth.

His own goals and skills aren't all that relevant to most campaigns, and he can't quite wrap his head around any of the oddness going on near him.

Sorta like >>54467647
>>
>>54459014
Your table has nowhere near enough alcohol to simulate the super mario bros movie. Nobody's does.
>>
>>54446884
Everybody has to make an actually interesting character with a somewhat developed personality and a basic history.

Also people might have some special power or cool thing about them but it doesn't put them head and shoulders above the rest of the world.

Next we make the world actually be an interesting setting rather than just being generic fantaslyand number 8. Not necessarily trying to make it just be total shit world like >>54447055 but don't make it generic.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the concept of Isekai, people have been telling stories with that premise for centuries. You've just gotta not make it bland wish fulfillment.
>>
>>54473729
Challenge accepted, hold my beer.
>>
>>54459000
>>54459014
>by the power of PLOT and BUDGET
I'd rather run it like Paper Mario.
>>
File: image.jpg (418KB, 818x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
418KB, 818x1024px
>>54446884
I wouldn't base it on Nipshit for one.
>>
>>54449896
You're arguing against a point that nobody made.
>>
File: Capture.png (628KB, 576x898px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
628KB, 576x898px
>>54450072
>Faggots who are inexplicably master kendo fighter super-geniuses who have memorized everything from modern medicine to agriculture to manufacturing modern firearms, and are also better at fighting than legendary warriors in the setting.
Hey now, Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari plays this off great. It depends heavily on how it is written out and counter-played. I know it gets meme'd on often these days,but One Punch Man is a prime example. Yes, at the logical level Saitama could just go around and one-shot everything in the series, which sounds incredibly boring and defeats all sense of tension, and the manga does well in that it is not like that at all.
>>
File: ss_cover_5[1].jpg (222KB, 755x1112px) Image search: [Google]
ss_cover_5[1].jpg
222KB, 755x1112px
>>54478235
Ultra competent super-geniuses can be interesting when given 'character flaws' and also if you're willing to read schlock. This one reads like it was authored by japanese senator Armstrong.
>>
File: maxresdefault[3].jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[3].jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
>>54478268
>This one reads like it was authored by japanese senator Armstrong.
Wh-What does that even mean?
>>
>>54449867
Literally every fucking isekai is author wish fulfillment haremshit. I've looked long and hard for an isekai series done right, and they don't fucking exist.
>>
>>54478370
You obviously haven't looked long and hard then.
>>
>>54446884
I think the best way for isekai to be done right is to make the MCs "earn" their victories.
>If they get any "free perk with reincarnation" thing, it has to be modest in effect and not op.
>MCs overcome their adversaries with their prowess, wits, and sometimes teamwork rather than rely on their crutch power.
>MCs can have followers, but none of that harem shit.
>If there's any harem shit, it's only going to be maybe two or three females with a high CHA MC. Not saying you can't have a group of all-female followers, but harems are cliche and much more rare than anime suggests it to be, especially with guys who aren't relatively superior in some way such as with personality or money.
>If MCs successfully re-invent anything and don't keep the invention private or uninteresting, expect it to have consequences.

>>54478370
Konosuba is a parody of isekai, but technically it wouldn't exist if isekai didn't have things to twist.
Also, Alice in Wonderland is technically an isekai, and it's far from wish fulfillment.
>>
>>54478302
He's trying to give war a chance. In that he hates that his isekai world has essentially stagnated militaristically and is now trying to start a world war as he travels around killing people.
>>
>>54449329
I'm an uncultured fuck, what particular show are you talking about?
>>
File: miBjfQF[1].jpg (971KB, 1446x2094px) Image search: [Google]
miBjfQF[1].jpg
971KB, 1446x2094px
>>54478370
You didn't look hard enough
>>
>>54450096
that sounds really fucking sad
>>
>>54452499
good luck little smug duck with a mug
>>
Why not go full D&D cartoon with your players?
It's isekai, what it lacks they iterally see their stat sheets.
>>
>>54450096
>>54478608
Don't D&D commoners get murdered by housecats still
>>
>>54447633
wow
>>
>>54446884
First, I throw OP in front of a moving truck,
>>
>>54446884
Isekai stories are ripe for universe transcending plots.
>>
File: 1500764316462.jpg (2MB, 1700x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1500764316462.jpg
2MB, 1700x1200px
>>54478370
>>54467062
Meikyuu Black Company is fantastic, if a bit on the nose.
>>
>>54479948
>>54447293
>>
>>54446884
normal fantasy people into the feywild
>>
>>54447055

Why would anybody want to play in your boring campaign if it were like this?
>>
>>54447055
It stops being Isekai.
>>
>>54486651
But doing hack writing backwards is good. /tg/ told me so.
>>
>>54486947
Rescinded.
>>
>>54447055
Telling the person who suggested you run a shitty anime campaign to go fuck themselves and instead dusting off WHFRP is definitely the correct answer in this situation.
>>
>>54446884
Just run it like John Carter.
>>
>>54487094
>John Carter
>not A Princess of Mars

Gross.
>>
>>54446884

Stargate, but with a Gate of Many Worlds into Planescape and other D&D campaign settings.

I already ran this once; my players took a nuclear bomb into Hell and obliterated the Brass Citadel more or less by accident. It was great.

(I wasn't using D&D to run it because I'm not a lunatic.)
>>
File: ElHazard.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ElHazard.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>54446884
I am both saddened and not surprised that nobody bothered mentioning any of the original "isekai" series, like El Hazard here, especially since it fits the theme of running an actual campaign much better - in the series, four people from earth (three guys and one girl) are sent to another world, and all three gain powers in the process.
>>
>>54488082
>several people mention lit that literally spawned the genre like Three Hearts and Three Lions, Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Wizard Knight, Harold Shea etc
>>
>>54487579
>A Princess of Mars
>Not Barsoom
Gross.
>>
>>54478589
In Another World With My Smartphone
>>
>>54449329
>only watched/read the ones that were at least passable.
The ones you read barely being passable should be more telling.

The translators areally weeded out bad ones.
Those weren't "barely good", they were "the best around."

The anime industry is scraping the bottom of the barrel.
You do that too much, you get splinters in your tongue.
>>
>>54488082
>Not Magic Knight Rayearth
>>
>>54449329
By far, the most offensive part of smartphone is the existence of those autistic in-between skits whenever they transition into a different goddamn scene
yes it makes me mad
>>
File: 1384926326216.png (28KB, 226x233px) Image search: [Google]
1384926326216.png
28KB, 226x233px
>>54452194
>The aspect of the genre where the characters come from a "the real world" is basically free license to be as metagamey as possible.

Pretty sure that's 99% of the appeal of the genre. The fact that the main characters have access to "out-of-character" knowledge and a carte blanche to use it to their advantage is what makes it different from just any random standard fantasy.
>>
>>54446884
I'd do it something like in "Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?". None of the characters receive any weird superpowers in the new world. Instead, the very reason they go to the new world is because they had powers that put them completely above the weight class of their own world(s).
>>
>>54446884
I'm slowly working on a setting where everyone in it is someone or descended from someone that came from another world.

The Lost & Found, a world where lost people, tribes, civilizations, gods and knowledge end up.
>>
File: SRW-MugenEXCEEDLimitedEdition.jpg (638KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
SRW-MugenEXCEEDLimitedEdition.jpg
638KB, 2048x1536px
>>54446884

>Guy from fantasy world A are transported to fantasy world B.

Pic related
>>
File: 31e5beed04d4365ff6c5a06e25b5ec33.jpg (996KB, 2804x1400px) Image search: [Google]
31e5beed04d4365ff6c5a06e25b5ec33.jpg
996KB, 2804x1400px
>>54489315

>not Shurato
>>
File: POSTER-ARMY-OF-DARKNESS.jpg (433KB, 1080x1600px) Image search: [Google]
POSTER-ARMY-OF-DARKNESS.jpg
433KB, 1080x1600px
>>54446884

This is how I isekai.
>>
File: We Wuz Nights N Shiet.jpg (48KB, 352x475px) Image search: [Google]
We Wuz Nights N Shiet.jpg
48KB, 352x475px
>>54492048
Get thee upon my level, knave.
>>
File: 1447706424876.png (3MB, 886x1389px) Image search: [Google]
1447706424876.png
3MB, 886x1389px
>>54492421
I want to tell you to get the fuck out; but, thing is, I haven't actually watched Black Knight myself, so I can't exactly say if it's shit or not.

Probably won't stop the other anons who actually watched the movie, though.
>>
>>54492743
It's shit, I would advise against watching it
>>
File: miner song.jpg (132KB, 738x288px) Image search: [Google]
miner song.jpg
132KB, 738x288px
>>54483164
>>
Kinda related, but is it possible to run a wish fulfillment campaign without anyone wanting to murder another player or the GM during/after the first session?
>>
>>54494973
In theory? Sure.
In practice? Might as well go and fuck a meat grinder, it is going to be far less painful than what you're planning to do.
>>
>>54458298
If they don't necessarily have to be Japanese, Dungeon Defense is fucking phenomenal by LN standards. By which I mean it's about on part with, for example, Dresden Files: Not quite as smart as it tries to be, but it's still a lot of fun watching a flawed and overmatched character fuck everything up and be awesome at the same time.

Alternatively, from the other side of the Yellow Sea, there's Warlock of the Magus World, a purely pulp epic about a guy who (basically) has a computer bolted onto his soul and uses it to be a cutthroat wizard. The latter half (from about chapter 600) involves plane-hopping and it so far has hinted at being one of very few isekai that actually explains the initial premise satisfactorily.
>>
>>54465296
Happens all the time in isekai marketed to girls, and occasionally for boys as well but it's less successful.
>>
>>54495047
Dungeon Defense is all over the place. Toneshifts, and dropped themes, and ladedadeda.
I honestly don't get why so many people like it.

I mean, sure, it's good compared to most WNs and a fair chunk of LNs.
But it's awful compared to good literature.
>>
>>54492421

Sir Moriaen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moriaen
>>
>>54496317
As an Anon said in a previous thread the Kniggests of Knights
>>
>>54489456
I like those skits though. They´re probably better than the actual show.
>>
>>54492743
it's "ok" in my opinion
not total garbage, but nothing what you should watch either
>>
>>54498957
Delete these after you post them.

>>54490043
>>54455935
These should have >>54446884 covered,
>>
>>54499053
wanted to buy time for typing

>>54446884
I thought of an idea for isekai where all of the protagonists are from the modern world, and each of them were granted op powers. The problem is that all of them are deeply flawed in their own way, either being a jerk, a dork, a pervert, or stupid. One of them might be competent, but even then he or she is not going to be ideal, either.
Some characters do have a harem, but each of them that do treat them differently.

Character concept ideas:

>Wizard
Is a master of destruction magic, and is like Megumin but overall better in terms of power. He is obsessed with making big, flashy spells. He does have female followers, but he ignores them because he doesn't care about those who do not impress or teach him, or explode trying.
In life he was a quiet and heavily task-focused nerd, but has an affinity for hard rock and metal.
Great at ranged combat; folds to anti-magic effects

>Rogue
He is great at stealth, stealing, and infiltration, but he wastes it on perving on girls and "borrowing" panties to "appraise". He does steal to make ends meet, but he takes little and he has very simple and easy needs, and wants. Has no harem.
Has no respect for privacy and was an information broker in his past life
Great at stealth and stealing; can't fight except through sneak-attacks; weak CON even though he's a masochist that enjoys being beaten up by the women he pervs on

>Monk
Literally /fit/. Has a harem, but he ignores them, even when he allows them to become his weights in working-out. Sexual orientation ambiguous since he does have an appreciation for bodybuilders.
Was a lazy fat fuck in his previous life, but decided to turn over a new leaf and actually get /fit/
Is actually well-rounded stats-wise and usability-wise, but is not very smart.

cont
>>
>>54499402
>Fighter
The only benevolent member of the team, and surprisingly relatively clever. Unlike the others, he actually pays attention to his harem, but he's still a pussy-ass with them. Paradoxically, he is also easy seduced by most women outside of his harem. This is justified because he cockblocks himself because, from his perspective, doesn't want to see his teammates as sexual objects.
Just because he is benevolent doesn't exactly make him good. He is also self-righetous and quick to anger.
As a fighter, he may be clumsy (hence his accidental pervert shenanigans), he is very formidable and dangerous to fight against. He can perform superhuman feats that make up for his limited range, and is surprisingly creative with them.

>Healer/Bard
The only member with great CHA. Hell, he is the only member with CHA that is greater than average. Even though he has a harem, he chooses to hang out with other women, but still reserves time just for his followers. He chose to gain healing abilities not to help others, but to enhance his ability to charm others.
He isn't much of a fighter. He prefers protecting others with magic, playing music for money and women's attention, and haggling. He can also play music to buff.
Was a musician in the past. He was also surprisingly great at charming women.

That's all I've got. Just a bunch of asses doing their own thing for their own sake rather than address anything urgent until the last second.
>>
>>54499402
>I thought of an idea for isekai where all of the protagonists are from the modern world, and each of them were granted op powers. The problem is that all of them are deeply flawed in their own way, either being a jerk, a dork, a pervert, or stupid. One of them might be competent, but even then he or she is not going to be ideal, either.
gee where have I seen this before hmm HMM
>one line in: "is like Megumin but"
GEE
>>
>>54446884
Reverse the roles.
Fantasy characters come into a modern world and have to find jobs to avoid starving.
>>
>>54500578
This would be so awesome. The only thing I've watched that comes close is Yuusha something something its about a guy who trains to become a hero then the demon king is defeated and he has to get a normal wageslave job. It's still within a fantasy universe though.
>>
>>54500013
It was based on a weird dream I just had, so we shouldn't be surprised for the lack of originality. Originality is for fags, anyways.

>>54500738
>>54500578
>fantasy character wastes his life away
>one day he saves someone from a potential accident, but dies in the process
>is transported to another world
>the cycle resets
>>
File: 035.jpg (1MB, 2086x3000px) Image search: [Google]
035.jpg
1MB, 2086x3000px
>>54500578
>Be Demon Sex King
>Almost killed by party of heroes
>Reincarnated into our world
>Make H-games and dream of waifus
>Assemble a harem of fantasy babes who come after me
>>
>>54467724
Because he knows the king of heroes got style.
>>
>>54478575
Okay, that sounds amazing.
>>
>>54500013
Dude, just read tate no yuusha.

Thats basically what you want.
>>
>>54500738
Hataraku Maou-Sama
>>
>>54501361
unf
>>
>>54446884
>How would you run an Isekai campaign /tg/?
INTO THE GROUND!!!!
>>
>>54501361
Sauce?
>>
>>54446884
deathwatch campaign where a squad of space marines are sucked into the warp and get spit out into a shitty anime universe.
>>
>>54502494
boku no pico
>>
File: devilisaparttimer.png (3MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
devilisaparttimer.png
3MB, 1600x900px
>>54500578
this actually exists.
>>
>>54502525
Jee. Maybe that was a reference.
>>
>>54446884
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Setting:Harem_Knights
>>
>>54462492
Ok, Hank "The Boss" Morgan is a sanctimonious jerk who's always right and can't do any wrong and everyone else is a brain-dead moron. So it is like Japanese isekai in that way.
>>
I have a bit of isekai fiction I'm working on. Aside from using modern education to have a de facto royalty role, I don't think I'm doing it different than most fantasy. It's just a setup.
>>
>>54478575
Is it as good as it sounds?

>>54478602
Sell it a little more than that.
>>
>>54503449
Are you doing it for a game, a book or just world building?
>>
>>54483038
Sadly a lot of them never even explain the isekai premise.

Only one I can think of that actually took the universe-traversing to its fullest extent is Warlock of the Magus World.
>>
File: 1476168397057.jpg (329KB, 832x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1476168397057.jpg
329KB, 832x1100px
>>54502525
Wait a second, I recognize that horn!
>>
>>54503599
Horns are a pretty generic demon king trait.

Thats sorta the joke.
>>
>>54503192
>https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Setting:Harem_Knights
Harem Knights was quite possibly one of the least self aware isekai ever.
>>
>>54483164
I'm not seeing it on NovelUpdates.
>>
>>54503634
>That's sorta the joke.
Not really, the joke is i recognize that bulge
>>
>>54495193
I compared it to Dresden for a reason.
>>
>>54503671
I believe those are called breasts, anon.
>>
>>54503682
>Being this much of a newfag
http://imgur.com/gallery/xhk69vL
Lurk for one thousand years before posting.
>>
>>54488082
>>54488103
>not the original isekai, the lion, the witch and the wardrobe
Get in line niggas
>>
>>54503527
Assuming I actually complete enough of it to do so, I'll probably publish it as a web novel on WordPress and/or an eBook on Amazon.

That's not necessarily a safe assumption though, considering I write in fits and spurts at the best of times.
>>
>>54503730
>being a memespouting faggot
>of crusty old meme's
>can't even take a little sarcasm
>>
>>54503735
Dude, that is not the original isekai. In fact, its a relatively recent one. Alice in wonderland alone predates it by 75 years.
>>
>>54503805
>>54503730
>>54503682
You're both faggots, so just fuck already.
>>
>>54503730
>>54503805
>>54503846
seriously
meme Elitism ( kill me please) is a meme.
>>
>>54503846
>>54503905
Hey, its not my fault the guy couldn't take a joke.
>>
>>54503941
you are a fag for caring
but dont worry, as the nature of anonymous imageboards makes everyone a fag in that right.

now kiss.
>>
File: Power Play.jpg (343KB, 850x1159px) Image search: [Google]
Power Play.jpg
343KB, 850x1159px
>>54502494
[Yamatogawa] Power Play
>>
>>54504511
Thanks anon!

Frankly, the premise sounds like a riot.
>>
>>54458549
Yukine a cute.
>>
File: 6156.jpg (419KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
6156.jpg
419KB, 1920x1080px
>>54466030
Yes, though the time travel thing was of limited importance.
>>
>>54446884
Overlord would be a fun one to model after:
PCs play high fantasy characters sent into a low fantasy world
>>
>>54503663
Not all manga started as novels.
Most didn't, actually.

Aside from the really shitty stuff. Which that isn't.
Thread posts: 259
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.