/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /tg/ use MapTool? MapTool General, I suppose!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: MapTool.png (70KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
MapTool.png
70KB, 256x256px
Does /tg/ use MapTool?

MapTool General, I suppose!
>>
>>54435428
Roll20 has pretty much steamrolled it in recent times, but I'm guessing some people still use maptool
>>
>>54435530
How do you figure? There are pound for pound more features available for MapTool, and any premium features are free in MapTool.
>>
>>54435678
Roll20 is more accessible because of its advertising, licensed material, and... well, being much easier to use. Maptools is a pain in the dick to learn and use.

Fantasy Grounds is better than both of them though.
>>
>>54435428
i've used maptool to great success for three campaigns and counting. I am willing to admit that it is so long since I have used roll20 that i've forgotten much of how it works, so maybe maptool isn't so great.
>>
>>54435428
Nothing comes close to Maptool in terms of macros. I'd move to something else but it's just so damn flexible
>>
>>54435428
I did, but then I got tabletop simulator
>>
>>54435678
Roll20 gets significantly more use due to it being web based and having group finding and other usability features immediately available for it. I agree that in general maptool is better, but it has been pushed into obscurity by roll20.
>>
>>54439190
I suppose you're right.

I just finished a macro for GURPS hit locations. The more specific kind, like the forearm, digestive tract, etc. Feel so good. I have a GURPS campaign framework that has a bunch of extremely useful macros to make life super easy.
>>
>>54435428
I love MapTool. It may not be as user-friendly as other analogs, but it definitely surpasses everyone at functionality and customization. My only gripe is that it's written in Java.
>>
File: Finalize Token Interface.jpg (126KB, 372x439px) Image search: [Google]
Finalize Token Interface.jpg
126KB, 372x439px
>>54435428

I love it. Been using it for years. As other Anons have mentioned, the learning curve can be a bitch, but for automation it's unmatched.

I'm currently working on an encounter builder/combat manager for the upcoming Stars Without Number Revised Edition. It's got most of the standard stuff (initiative and condition tracking, heal and harm macros, etc), but I'm currently working on pic related. It's an interface for quickly "building" NPC tokens for use in encounters.

Ultimately you'll be able to drag a bunch of icons onto the map, highlight the ones you want, fill out those fields and the tokens will automatically be switched to the correct type, have their stats filled out accordingly, have their HP rolled, and be outfitted with a set of matching macros (attacks and reload, skill checks, combat actions, etc) with those stats and equipment taken into account.
>>
>>54436965
this
>>
>>54436965

Do you have any experience creating custom stuff on FG? I don't play any of the games included in the software, how in-depth can I get with creating my own rulesets and interfaces? Do you have any experience with how that works?

I ask because, while I find a lot of reviews that talk about that functionality being there, I'm having trouble finding someone who's really jumped into that stuff and tried making their own things (fair enough, that's pretty in-depth for a review). And, considering how relatively rare MapTool users are to begin with, my chances of finding someone who's actually got experience making frameworks in both is almost none. I'm interested in FantasyGrounds, and it's probably the most polished looking virtual tabletop I've seen, but I want to be sure that I can do all the fiddly stuff I love in MapTool with it.

Things like custom interfaces, character sheets, interactive pop-ups and dialogs that are capable of interacting with other macros (or creating them) and altering tokens, bars and states (lots of bars and states; Roll20 has "red bar, green bar, blue bar" and that's it--that just doesn't fly), all that stuff.
>>
>>54439242
Share, please. 90% of why I don't run GURPS more often is because roll20 abhors automation.
>>
File: Capture.png (644KB, 1567x877px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
644KB, 1567x877px
>>54435428
I refuse to use anything but Maptool simply because of the power it gives. Most games I just end up programming close to the entire ruleset in. Right now I'm working on AD&D 2e with certain elements of Combat and Tactics and Complete Psionics.
>>
I'm not a programmer by trade yet I've been using Maptool to run my games for 3 years now. Eventually I've got into macros and for a year I'm making my own game framework with maximum automatization. Now I dont need to track every fucking item every fucking player on NPC have. All of their effects are coded in. This mean I dont need to waste game time to calculate shit like conditional bonuses status effects and other mundane stuff and can focus on the story and characters.
>>
>>54441634
I haven't worked on any myself but people have made custom rulesets for it. GURPS isn't officially supported but there's a community-made ruleset for it, same with a bunch of others.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20449-Tutorial-Creating-a-Basic-Extension

By the looks of it, FG extensions can be made using XML and Lua. So, hands-on coding... it probably has very few limits for those willing to put the time in.
>>
>>54448847

I'll have to give that a read-through (and maybe learn Lua), thanks Anon.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.