[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/GURPSGEN/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 31

File: 1500262238248.pdf (340KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1500262238248.pdf
340KB, 1x1px
Get in here GURPS people!

Remember to check the pastebin.
>>
File: 19.png (59KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
19.png
59KB, 658x662px
Why does no one ever want to talk about the Chtorr? Is there a place I can go where I can find decent discussion about it? For a series with 4 books and a GURPS book with over 100 pages there seems to be little discussion about it even though the setting would mix well with a lot of other settings. (Fallout and Elder Scrolls are two I have in mind for it)
>>
File: 1467780567718.jpg (57KB, 477x720px) Image search: [Google]
1467780567718.jpg
57KB, 477x720px
>>54433043
Posted by Anon last thread, but only 4 post to The End, so..

https://mega.nz/#!39VHzQ7Z!jb-vsp29DzcyOPQzY8fFMqpkYPR2h52y0S_e7MDvt8g

Pyramid power.

>>54433140

GURPSGEN focuses pretty well on the generic part, talking about a lot of different game times and making fun of that one guy that made a unicorn that couldn't beat someone 50 points and 6 TL lower then himself.

The SJG forums should be a decent place to talk it if you don't mind the slower pace.
>>
>>54433273

What do you think about the CHtorr?
Could they mix well with a setting like the Elder Scrolls?
>>
Conan game is going great, its been pretty lethal and the PCs have had some close scrapes. Tomorrow though they face an actual monster; a giant warthog! The local Pict tribe worship it and threw the party into it's death pit, I'm hoping for an epic fight!
>>
>>54433432
What is your crew? Doing some iron-age Briton?
>>
>>54433551
They were slaves on a Bosssonian silver mine, but escaped and joined a company of mercenaries heading for the frontier. A tribe had been kidnapping and eating merchants and someone paid them to put them down. The party tracked them, fought them a couple times, then got trapped and now they're fighting warthog god
>>
File: 1437531602154.jpg (43KB, 420x373px) Image search: [Google]
1437531602154.jpg
43KB, 420x373px
I'm trying to build a template for lamia that's playable as a character, not just for monster slaying and what not. The idea is for a fantasy world with certain breeds of non-evil monster girls where it would make sense (lamias, centaurs, harpies, succubi, etc.), and the king/emperor or whatever has just started allowing them to be treated as normal citizens, though a lot of commoners still see them as monsters. For the lamia I'll be following the dimensions for Miia (pic related), making them about 8-9 yards long, which makes the standard SM+4, if I read the rule right.
ADVANTAGES
Constriction Attack, Damage Resistance 2 (book suggested 2 for reptilian scales, maybe I should reduce it since there's a human half?), Enhanced Move (Ground) (1/2), Silence 1, Striker (crushing) (Large Tail) (Clumsy; Long), Teeth (Fangs), Vibration Sense

DISADVANTAGES
Cold Blooded 1 (stiffen below 50)
No Legs (Slithers)
Social Stigma (Monster)
Stress Atavism (Moderate)

I might add some other stuff like +1 DX and ST, or some optional things like a toxic attack for venomous variants, but that's pretty much it. I think it's not too heavy on the points for a PC, clocking around 26. I'll admit I'm not very seasoned with the system, so what do you guys think?
>>
>>54433665
GIven the snek half is very slender I'd peg a lamia at SM +0 and note that the tail hit location is large for her size. This is because the human half is proportioned like a human, and SM + assumes proportions.. at SM +4 a Lamia would be assumed to have jaws large enough to swallow a human whole.
>>
>100 point character
>leave all stats at base
>set aside 20 points for peripheral skills
>put 80 points into Rifles
>now have DX+21 in Rifles since skill cost doesn't escalate
>can take a couple minor disadvantages to have DX+25 if I feel like it
>now I have a 35 in Rifles skill
>WITHOUT aiming I can headshot a running target at 200 yards and still be rolling against 17
>with aiming I can do it even further out, or in darkness

Explain why this game ISN'T broken.
>>
>>54433880
I did that because Basic told me that SM is determined by the longest dimension of the creature.
>>
>>54434121
Did you ask what TL the game is? Might not be any rifles.
>>
File: 69d.png (252KB, 500x612px) Image search: [Google]
69d.png
252KB, 500x612px
>>54434123
That assumes human-proportioned, more or less. Things that are very blocky have more SM then that would suggest. A long, skinny snek gets a lower SM then that would suggest, especially if it's a girl's torso on a long tail.

Making her tail a Long Striker goes a long way to cover that her snek tail is easier to hit and longer then you'd think, this also avoids everyone getting +4 to hit her tender human bits that are no bigger then a normal person's.
>>
>>54434174
Oh, it's a copy-pasta shitpost. You don't need to reply unless you want to, he isn't asking a serious question.
>>
I'm looking to be a skinwalker. Is there somewhere I can find a bunch of animal racial templates?
>>
>>54433140
tell me about the chtorr anon.
>>
Are Pyramids 103 and 104 in the archive? I seem to be missing them.
>>
File: How2gurps.png (625KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
How2gurps.png
625KB, 600x900px
>>54434174
>80gun man
>In a setting with no guns
>Except his gun
TIME FOR ADVENTURE.
>>
>>54434578
Dungeon Fantasy: Allies has a number, and they're set at higher-than-standard IQ values too.
>>
Is it a good idea to let players get to make their own races up, with GM approval?

I'm thinking of a variety of animal people races, and I'd make a few, and if a player wanted to be a type of animal not listed they could tell me what they want the race to have and work to make a racial template for it.
>>
>>54434121
Again?
The GM is not obliged to accept your character if it doesn't fit with the campaign, technically legal or not.

Now try to make a fresh pasta please, this one is starting to smell rotten.

>>54434682
Gun as a superpower, I like it. I'd play that.
>>
Is there any way a martial artist can compete with civil war era soldiers? I've got 200 points to make some kind of ultra jackie chan.
>>
Alright nerds, what happens when you have Clinging and buy up Super Climbing past your normal move? The obvious idea seems to be you can scurry along walls faster than you can run on ground; but could you get down and "climb" horizontally across the ground too? What if you added Attraction to your clinging; then you should be able to run properly along a wall, but could you call yourself clinging to the ground and run faster just because? I understand it's not cost effective compared to just raising move on its own, but this seemed like a silly case.
>>
>>54435650
Boost your dex and dodgepool, maybe go for stealth and be a bit more ninja.

>>54435658
Yeah, sure, but you'd have to be doing it on all fours which limits your offensive options unless you have extra strikers or an innate ranged attack.
>>
>>54435173
You should already be checking your players' sheets like a hawk, so I don't see an issue. It takes some stuff off your plate at least. Do you feel that your players are competent enough in terms of mechanics to make balanced, interesting races?
>>
What are the spells required to make a friendly neighborhood spellcaster?

I'm going to be playing as a creature disguised as a clergy man.

Should I just buy a bunch of fat, or is their a better way for getting spellcasting energy
>>
>>54436573
Basically the entirety of the College of Food, plus a touch of Weather, Healing, and the more beneficial Body spells.

If your GM allows it, Energy Reserve (ER) is a good investment. ER is basically FP except that a) it can only be used to power spells and abilities, b) it isn't drained from hunger or exhaustion, c) nothing bad happens to you at 0 ER, and d) you gain 1 ER every 10 minutes, no rest required (though resting lets you recover spent ER and FP simultaneously). It costs the same as FP at [3/level].

Dungeon Fantasy assumes heavy use of power items, and Magic includes powerstones. Check if your GM is using those too.
>>
>>54436573
>Should I just buy a bunch of fat, or is their a better way for getting spellcasting energy
I, uhm... I'm going to assume you mean fatigue points. Energy Reserve can be cheaper if you limit it, but it's still 3/level normally.

Friendly neighborhood caster spells, off the top of my head:
>Anything that heals/cures/purifies
>Accelerating crop growth/ensuring bountiful harvests
>Hygienic spells
>Building and fixing things
>Controlling animals
>>
>>54433665
You need Double-Jointed in addition to Constriction Attack to grapple people without using your arms.

Damage Resistance should have Partial, Torso and Tail, -10%, and possibly Tough Skin or Flexible.

Consider adding a racial quirk like "hisses when angry" if you want the template cost to be a round number.

Other than that, it looks good.
>>
So I'm reading through Basic Set and I have a question about TLs in fantasy worlds. From what I read so far it seems that the TLs proposed in the book are based on Earth's technology.

Suppose I'm running a world that's generally TL1, with certain fantasy elements. Suppose, additionally there is a community or society that focuses a lot on medicine and anything to do with healthcare. Finally, this being a fantasy world, with the help of magic and locally available (magic) plants and animals they can do things like anesthesia, disinfectants, antibiotics, maybe primitive medical imaging, etc. While all this is done through magical means, the healers themselves in this community can't directly do magic, so no healing spells or anything like that. Maybe they've even been given advice from their local god. Suppose all their accumulated knowledge and equipment makes their doctors about as effective as a 1930s doctor from Earth (late TL6, early TL7), in an otherwise TL1 world.

My question is, would a character from this society have his medic skills (Physician, First Aid, etc.) at TL6 (with all the associated extra costs) or at the character's TL1 with a note that any First Aid or Physician rolls should be as if they were TL6? In general, what is the proper way in GURPS to handle things when a fantasy world makes it possible to do things at earlier TLs than they would on Earth?
>>
>>54436887
I think it works as if it was TL6, since their medical TL is higher than other societies (presumably).

Unsolicited opinion: I just toss out tech level entirely because I find it to be too much of a hassle. Liberal use of familiarity penalties takes care of the "different tech" problem, as does just disallowing default rolls if the PC wouldn't reasonably have it with a technology.
>>
File: Capture.png (91KB, 630x268px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
91KB, 630x268px
>>54435650
Pic related is the most cost-effective way to survive being shot.
>>
>>54434653

its a series about giant caterpillars, and they come to earth and cause a bunch of plagues that destroys most of the earth population. After that, the caterpillars start wrecking everything and their native ecology sets up shop on Earth and starts terraforming everything, replacing Earth's native ecology with its own.

It's hinted that the chtorr are in a hivemind, but in a hivemind that goes on a hive-by-hive basis, and they develop individual "cultures" that are represented through a nest song, these cultures tend to despise each other more than they dislike the native Earth ecology and can not tolerate each other whatsoever.

over time, the agent that all chtorrans have ( a type of living hair that gives the user extra senses) adapts to terra life, and it starts changing Earth lifeforms to its own needs, including humans that become sheep for the hivemind.

while all of this is going on, earth is not united at all and has to respond to the alien threat and each other, there are nations like Brazil which are actually letting the alien ecology fester in their own country because the resources it gives temporally gives the country immense wealth in the short of things in brazil
>>
>>54436887
Split TLs are 100% kosher; societies may be advanced in certain areas while still primitive in others (heck, even though TLs are "Earth-based," basically every specific society had a split TL at one point or another).

As for what TL it should be labeled as, I tend to ignore them. Unless time travel is a thing in your setting or a lot of focus is on encountering different cultures with their own TLs, drop them. Characters don't have First Aid/TL6--they simply have First Aid and successful attempts to treat shock heal 1d or whatever you as the GM feel is appropriate.
>>
>>54436938
>>54436989
I suppose I could drop TLs altogether, yeah.

The reason I picked medicine as an example, though, is because medical skill rolls are very dependent on TL and have very harsh penalties for lower TLs. Thus I figured that in this case it might be appropriate to make characters that have medical skills at higher TL than the rest of the world to pay more in points, but I'm not sure GURPS has a mechanism for that aside from the High TL advantage (which is for the character and not a particular skill). I suppose for this particular example I could make them buy some form of Status or something as a requirement to acquiring high TL medical skills.
>>
>>54436863
Constriction attack already allows to grapple "with your body", you don't need arms for that.
>>
>>54437120
Medical TL are a bit odd. If you are higher then TL 6 you are dropped down to TL 6 if you don't have access to high tech medical supplies.
>>
>>54435430
How you'd balance it?
>>
>>54438208
Mostly by capping skills at +5 above attributes. Helps ensure a better rounded character than mister 'lol 80pts in rifles' turret/human hybrid.
>>
What in heck is a "GURPS"
>>
>>54438229
I mean gun as a superpower in a medieval setting mostly.
>>
>>54438360
Malfunctions.
>>
>>54438360
If it's a superpower, you don't really -have- to balance it, just give the player a survival needler from Ultratech.

Or it becomes self-balancing as long as you ensure that ammo has a limited rate of replenishment.
>>
>>54438448
How hard would it be to make bullets in both actual """middle""" ages with full plate aka "we already have guns" and how long in the actual middle ages?
>>
>>54438663
Bullets? Pretty easy.

Actual cartridges for a modern firearm? Impossible.
>>
>>54438698
How so?
>>
>>54438717
Cartridges require a large industrial base to manufacture, you can't just make them by hand, the tolerances are too tight on every component and the chemistry isn't that easy either. Just getting mercury fulminate for primers is an ordeal that will result in deaths.

Impossible is hyperbole, but by the time you're done setting up the required machinery for making cartridges that feed, fire and extract reliably, you've moved the entire TL level of the world forward by a couple steps.

Late 19th century paper cartridges for single shot guns could be possible, I guess, with some effort.
>>
>>54438663

Bullets are easy
Cartridges would be very difficult and time-consuming if not impossible
Primers would be a real sticking point.
>>
>>54438783
Impact sensitive primary explosives are going to be a bitch and a half. Mercury fulminate is likely the easy one, but you could do lead azide too. Either takes pretty much the same stuff.

For that, you need mercury (relatively easy) and nitric acid. Aqua fortis in bulk means setting up on a natural gas source and getting a Haber process going. That's a good idea for a lot of reasons, acutely, but it's a whole goddamn industry on it's own. It just doesn't make sense to do this bathtub style.

After that, well, fuck it: Drawing brass for cases with tight tolerances and casting hard lead bullets isn't hard by comparison. A man with a decent machine shop could build the tools and dies to build bullets and set up a factory fast.

The real problem is that to make the ammonia to make the nitric acid to make the primer takes steel pipe. so the real first thing you are going to have to do is to teach these primitive screw-heads how to make a Bessemer converter to turn out the tons of steel you are going to need for the next part. You might as well delay the gasworks for a little while for a fast detour to primitive steam engines, you need the pumps for the coal mines. Three years of work, minimum, to get your new steel production going.

So now: Gasworks. Given a supply of steel and willing, clever men that you can train you could start limited production sixteen months or so, and could move on to the next project in two years. You CAN kitchen sink the lead azide/mercury fulminate production, and might as well: You want each workshop surrounded by a berm and make with thick brick walls and a very thin cheap roof.

Starting from the point you have people willing to do what you say and learn from you without needing lots of explanation, you might go from muskets to brass cartridge firearms in 5 years or so.
>>
>>54439194
>Drawing brass for cases with tight tolerances and casting hard lead bullets isn't hard by comparison. A man with a decent machine shop could build the tools and dies to build bullets and set up a factory fast.
While I agree that making brass casings is easier than smokeless powder or primers, don't forget that the middle ages aren't going to have a decent machine shop. You're going to go through a couple of iterations of machine shops until you have one that can make the required tools and dies with the proper tolerances. Late 1800s still had trouble making brass that fed well.

You might even have to develop steam power to get your machine shop running, because hand filing can only get you so far.
>>
>>54439273
You are damn right, my timetable sort of assumed Future Man somehow had his garage with him when the time portal hit but there's another 2 years of picking standardized measures and weights then building tools so you can build tools.

The good news is that you can likely put your machine shop adjacent to a water mill for power to run tools, same as your steel plant. so you don't need to get your steam engines running first.
>>
>>54439273
Either way, you're going to need more free labor than middle ages farming can reliably support. You'll probably want to work on irrigation and fertilizers as well as introduce crop rotation in order to try to boost agricultural yields.
>>
>>54439330
>not just getting priests
They do jackshit anyways.
Become the saint of war.
>>
>>54439363
They fight devil every day and prey for your soul, you ungrateful sodomite.
>>
File: 400px-5.45x39mm.jpg (20KB, 400x286px) Image search: [Google]
400px-5.45x39mm.jpg
20KB, 400x286px
>>54439324
Another point to consider is that Future Man isn't just making guns and cartridges in this scenario, he brought an actual gun from the future, and so now he needs not just "a cartridge" but a "5.45x39mm cartridge" (or whatever he brought), so first order of the day is figuring out millimeters.
>>
>>54439363
They're scribes, we don't have time to teach them.

Also
>Forging metal
>Mixing sulfur
>Medieval priests

It's like you're trying to get burned at the stake or have every God-fearing noble muster up his troops to bumrush you at the Pope's behest.

Don't get the Church involved.

>>54439398
That was why I suggested the survival needler from Ultra-Tech.
>>
>>54439415
>survival needler from Ultra-Tech
Doesn't that make its own ammo?
>>
>>54439449

Yeah, you just have to give it an ingot of iron or something and it shaves its own needles.
>>
>>54439415
>priest
>not also scientists of their age
>burning at the stake
That is why you go to Spain and give isabela a cunnilingus, if she aint aroud look for papa luna.
>>
>>54439474

You don't get it. The Church was a political animal. If they get wind of your operation and the power it promises they'll take over, or some local duke or king will do so as proxy.

You keep this as secret as possible. That's why gun as a superpower is interesting. When you're one person with a gun it's great, when you start trying to supply the gun you run the risk of running out of bullets before you can set up your operation.
>>
>>54439330
Technically they'd already have four field crop rotation if you are in the early modern period, or three field in earlier periods. But you could go full Jethro Tull and teach them about seed drills, steel blade plows and more advanced crop rotation, as well as selective breeding.

The good news is that the gasworks you are building to make your gun primers can just as well make really good fertilizer. It's an ammonia factory, after all. The steam engines, once you've got enough to keep the coke comeing, can be used to irrigate previously marginal land too.
>>
>>54439511

Exactly. It's possible, but there are so many peripheral issues, not least of which is keeping things relatively secret until you can actually defend your manufactory compound.

Fortunately, once you're making cartridges, you've got the metalworking base to also make decent bolt-action rifles to outfit your militia.
>>
>>54439508
Well, they'd think they were. I imagine if you didn't tell them they'd believe that this was a path they could ride to power and wealth and a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

In truth every hour you work is building their coffins. They aren't even going to get shot in a revolution, most of them, just get rendered utterly obsolete.

>>54439415
>>54439474
>Early modern period
>Burned

Fuck man, don't fall into the stereotype. You'd get murdered by a foundry owner when your project totally undercuts his prices and ruins him.
>>
>>54439508
That is why you go be buddy buddy with a catolic monarch who is basically the church's bff or an antipope who loved him some science.

You WORK for the church, you don't give them "god aint real lol" but insfead weaponry to kill heretics en mass. Again, this implies late middle ages and knowing that some higher ups are either nerds or hellbent on wold domination eniugh to help you for some guns.
>>
>>54439547
Foundries didn't exist in this time period, the only foundry owner would be the PC or group doing this.

>>54439564
Yeah, and now gun is no longer your superpower. Everyone has guns and your advantage is negated.

I think somewhere along this discussion it was forgotten that the goal wasn't to uplift medieval society as a whole. Though arming the Crusades with SKS and pushing on through Mecca has appeal.
>>
>>54439580
Yes, but to do ANYTHING such as modern bullets from scrap you stop being 80guns man and become 80p in engineery and chemistry man.

For the concept of 80guns man in a world with magical powers and his is GUN the needler or a weapon that generates its own ammo or the ammo is hand waved away between sessions is really the only viable answer without going full isekai.
>>
>realize this is predator in a magical world
Hey. It fits.
>>
>>54439580
Those church bells come from foundries.. though I'd imagine a smelter owner WOULD be a more realistic danger, given their furnaces would produce steel that cost around 150 times as much as what a more modern smelter could do.

Really the problem is that if you want to make bullets you have to make several industries. Even reloading bullets with black powder and mercury fulminate primers would require you either accept tiny yields and tremendous cost or build a whole city worth of industry.

>>54439564
I guess going for a Yankee in King Aurther's court and not mentioning to the church or your king what industrialization does to the power of churches and monarchies.
>>
>>54439621
Just take Gizmos "ammo only" or Snatcher "loaded glock 19 magazines only" Infinite Ammo is a Go.
>>
>>54439701
>Gizmos
Does Gizmo allow one to violate laws of physics?

I always understood it as an advantage that lets you have an item that's reasonable to have that you need at that moment, as in, you just happened to put that thing in your pocket sometime earlier and forgot about it until now, instead of literally violating the laws of physics to make shit appear in your pocket.
>>
>>54439835
If you are going to do superpowers you can bend the laws of reality a bit for story sake.
>>
>>54439856
Yeah, that's what Snatcher is for.

My point is that I think that Gizmos is not the right advantage for this.
>>
>>54439875
Technically Gizmos fits perfectly fine, fitting criteria 2. A loaded magazine is something GUNMAN would probably own and fits the character concept, and it's ignorable enough to leave unspecified. Gizmos is also a 'unrealistic' ability and explicitly isn't subject to some consequences. Gizmo matches are dry, even if you just went for a swim.

The real problem is that it's 3 times per session max. GUNMAN needs more ammo then that.
>>
>>54439976
Use your ammo conservatively.
>>
>>54439976

That's why you don't use gizmo. It's conceivable that you'd have several magazines. But with no way to resupply any reasonable GM is gonna stop allowing you to 'find' magazines and bullets in your pockets by the second or third session.

Snatcher works much better.
>>
>>54439976
>something GUNMAN would probably own
Yeah, in a world where guns exist, Gizmos for ammo would probably get you infinite ammo (at 3 times per session), but in a medieval world where loaded magazines are specifically not a thing you could conceivably own, it's not really ignorable enough or reasonable enough to qualify for Gizmos.

I'm pretty sure you can't use Gizmos for stuff that doesn't exist in the world (oh yeah, I happen to have a fusion powered teleporter in my pocket), or for unreasonable items (oh yeah, I happen to have the key card to the bad guy's plot important safe in my pocket).
>>
If you're using a more robust random hit location table (like the ones from MA, or Low-Tech), do you replace "groin" with "abdomen" for a roll of 11?
>>
So Im trying to wrap my head around damage.
lets assume that a generic dragon has 40 HP and 10 DR. Now looking at the low-tech stats for a musket for damage I would roll 4d6+2. I then subtract the the DR from the rolled amount (average 16). I then double 6 because its a P++ attack, so my damage dealt is now 12. Does this mean that 4 musketeers can kill a dragon in one round?
>>
>>54440255
To be absolutely sure that the dragon is dead, you would need to do 240 HP worth of damage (automatic death at -5xHP). The dragon is at risk of dying only after 80 HP worth of damage, and seeing how a dragon will have quite high HT, I can see it passing its rolls to stay conscious and alive without much trouble at least until it's at -3xHP. Also you must need to hit the dragon, which isn't trivial with a musket.

Finally, the stats given by GURPS for dragons and the like are quite low in power compared to the usual high fantasy games, since GURPS defaults to "heroic realism", but you're free to stat your dragons however you want for your game.
>>
>>54440255

If the dragon fails its HT roll, yes. In order to reliably kill the dragon in one round they'd need to do 5xhp in damage. Gurps gives you HT checks at each multiple of hp to stay alive and/or conscious.
>>
>>54440326
>>54440336

so lets dial it back and put a knight in platemail (DR 6, HP 14) at the business end of that same musket. 16 (average damage) - DR 6 = 10 (times 2 for P++)
That knight is more or less down and out, right?
>>
>>54440378
Again, depends on his HT roll. You'd want to do 28 damage to have a solid chance of putting him down in one round. You've only managed twenty.
>>
>>54440407
In any case, guns are nothing to fuck with
>>
>>54440417
That is the intention, yes. Guns in GURPS are very deadly, in keeping with the whole "heroic realism" scheme it has going as the default.
>>
>>54440047
If I allow GUNMAN I'm not going to judge how many times he's pulled a magazine out with Gizmos. I mean, the first time it makes perfect sense, he would defiantly have a spare in reserve. After that it's just degrees of how absurd it's gotten that he keeps having more ammo.
>>
>>54440378
Note that by the time those muskets are around that knight would likely have more like DR 10 across the vitals and torso hit locations, making the PI++ damage less brutal. Men able to handle heavy muskets are also comparatively rare, most would have lighter guns then that.
>>
>>54440499
To be fair, musket rests are a thing, and I've been led to believe they were the norm.
>>
>>54441543
The musket listed in Low Tech has an ST rating of 12R, which means that it needs 12 ST to use effectively with a musket rest, IIRC.
>>
>>54441582
Huh, I always treated R as M. My bad. What's the ST requirement for using it standing without a rest, then?
>>
>>54442049
I always think about musket rest as it is just a fancy thing to have your musket count as braced, while shooting with unbraced musket is unhandy.
>>
>>54442250
Makes sense. If most people are going to be firing a weapon at -1 or -2 due to not meeting the ST requirement, bracing's +1 Acc would be almost necessary.
>>
>>54438278
100 centigurps
>>
if you're using the abdomen location from low-tech, does that replace "groin" from the random hit table?
>>
>>54442836
Looks like it. Check the table on p. LT100.
>>
>>54436887

You have a couple options. First is to say the TL is 3+3 or whatever. That reflects real world tech up to TL 3, with fantasy cinematic magic whatever that produces societies and lifestyles like TL 6.

The second is mixed tech. Like biotech up to tl6 but metallurgy at tl4. Most setting books do it this way.

The whole idea of TL is to establish two things. First, as an organizing principle rather than a hard and fast rule to describe the setting to people unfamiliar with it. Second, to apply a game mechanic for how outsiders to the culture are penalized by it's foreignness. If you cover those two bases, the specifics of how you did it won't impact anything important. It's more a classification system than a law.
>>
>>54443376
righton. thanks!
>>
Anyone got a copy of Tactical Shooting for 4e?
>>
>>54443734
The pastebin in the OP does.
>>
>>54443740
Where's the pastebin? All I can find is the Mega and a pastebin of Magic.
>>
>>54443833
I'm having a giggle, mate. Mega, Gurps 4th edition. It's not in a folder.
>>
>>54443851
Cheers bud.
>>
>>54439508
>If they get wind of your operation and the power it promises they'll take over, or some local duke or king will do so as proxy.

Remember also that you're working full time setting up infrastructure. But you also have power, potentially, as the information monopolist. And no time to play politics to protect yourself.

Think of Walter White vs Gustavo Fring in Breaking Bad. White's power was that he alone could cook his product. Gus had to constantly weigh whether that product was worth having potential threat to his power like White around. He tried several times to get some kind of alternative so he wouldn't need Walter so much.

You link up with the local power base, and you gain some manpower but a lot of political complications, too.
>>
File: musket rest.png (28KB, 318x234px) Image search: [Google]
musket rest.png
28KB, 318x234px
>>54440499
>>54441543
>>54441582
>>54442049
>>54442250
>>54442448
>>
I'm the Anon that was making pregens for a cyberpunk game. What TL9 firearm should the support/utility gunner use as a base? He needs to have a grenade launcher for those sweet sweet weird warhead options, but all TL9 ones are underbarrel, and I can't decide what he should use for a base. I'm considering the Assault Carbine because it's a bitch-basic generalist weapon and fairly cheap, but shotguns are even cheaper; lastly, I was looking at the Electrolaser Carbine, because while it is very expensive, being able to stun robots sounds pretty useful, especially in tandem with the hacker.

>tl;dr my support gunner needs a gun: Assault Carbine, Shotgun/CAW, or Electrolaser Carbine?
>>
>>54445649
I think CAW + 25mm grenade launcher would make a nice combination.

Give your hackerman an electrolaser gun instead.
>>
How many points would a 40cc scooter that doesn't need fuel be worth, in a TL 8 game?
>>
>>54446946
Enhanced move with gadget limitations.
>>
>>54446719
Awesome. I didn't realize the holdout electrolaser was so cheap, considering that the underbarrel one's $1.3k, and on second thought, yeah the 40mm is likely overkill and increases the risk of friendly splash damage (plus each 'nade is expensive at $10 a shot compared to 25mm's $4.4).
>>
How would you stat a bicycle on GURPS?
>>
>>54447088
I would open up High-Tech and go to page 230.
>>
Is GURPS decent for mecha combat? My friend is looking to run a Battletech Gundam game, and we're still looking for systems.
>>
>>54447193
Ehhhh. The base system is really solid, but the mech aspect of it is subpar in my opinion. This means if the focus of your, say, mecha gladiatorial matches is the fighting and the mecha aspect is window dressing or simply a justification for adding missile or whatever, you're going to do fine; if the focus is on the mecha themselves, though, it's probably not the best system out there.

You could dive into 3e's mecha rules if you want really nice crunch that 4e currently lacks, but you only get out of it what you put into it. Arm yourself with an automated spreadsheet to make the task less tedious.

My GURPS-fueled autism approved of Heavy Gear's mech-creation rules, though, and Jovian Chronicles is basically the same system but has a more Gundam aesthetic and less of Heavy Gear's boner for VOTOMS. Sadly, the game died before we got to do anything with the mech, so I can't comment on how their rules work in-play.

On that note, what specifically are you looking for in a mech game? Really in-depth mecha customization, or one with just enough crunch to differentiate a few mechs and then gets out of the way and stays in the background? Also, what sort of game are you running? Space opera? Gritty war story?
>>
I'm going to be making an Arabic scimitar dude for a fantasy game.

I want to make him wear no armor, and be basically the best duelist ever. What advantages should I take to make a character like this?
>>
>>54448252
Weapon Master, Enhanced Pary (Scimitar), Technique (Feint)+6 with Technique Mastery (Feint), Targeted Attack (Scimitar Thrust/Eyes), and as much skill as you can afford.
>>
>>54448252
Put 80 points into Broadsword.
>>
>>54448296
>>54448372
Crap,

Looking through low tech, I don't see a scimitar.

Should I just use a conventional sword?
>>
>>54448455
LT61 has scimitars.
>>
>>54448455
Page 61, left column on the bottom.

It's not statted as "Scimitar" because there are many kinds of scimitars.
>>
>>54448252
Ask your GM is you can take the Extra Options (Bulletproof Nudity) and/or Weapon Adaptation (Broadsword to Saber) perks. Extra Option lets you be under the effects of the Bulletproof Nudity cinematic rule (p. B417), giving you a bonus to active defenses for showing off your abs. Weapon Adaptation lets you wield a weapon that normally uses the Broadsword skill with the Saber skill, treating it as a fencing weapon for superior parries and retreats (though watch out for flails).
>>
>>54448610
Well not naked, just unarmored
>>
>>54448252

You've got some options.

Ambidexterity and Extra Attack, along with a second sword, would let you dominate many combat situations simply by attacking twice in a turn to overwhelm defenses, and cross-parrying to stop weapons too heavy for a single sword. You can also freely mix in brawling attacks rather then use the second sword.

Going instead with a buckler saves a lot of points for other stuff and lets you protect yourself more easily. A small, handheld shield in your left hand can help a lot.

>>54448296
This is all good advice too.
>>
>>54448699
To be fair, Arabic scimitar fighters wouldn't be out of place wearing trousers and little else. Actually, since the only requirement for the +1 is baring chest or midriff, an open vest is also viable; if it's good enough for Aladdin, it's good enough for anybody.
>>
How do I build a character arounding throwing things?

Like a 500 points fantasy character
>>
>>54449032
Super Throw from Supers, http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=1835830&postcount=11 this advantage, high levels of Fast-Draw and Throw Anything.
>>
>>54433665
>>54434304
>>54436863
>>54437175
Lamia-anon here again, is there some way to give a locational strength score? I want the tail section to be stronger than the human half. I figure it makes sense because snakes' bodies are almost all muscle, but the top is pretty much just a normal girl.
>>
>>54449165
Maybe reverse-engineer Arm ST? Actually, it may be simpler to treat the lamia's tale as a clumsy flexible arm?
>>
File: tumblr_m3jnblaFYK1rsl3plo1_540.jpg (100KB, 540x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m3jnblaFYK1rsl3plo1_540.jpg
100KB, 540x810px
>>54449165
>>54449544

Striking ST or Lifting ST with (Tail Only -60%).
>>
File: lamiacopper.jpg (737KB, 1070x1328px) Image search: [Google]
lamiacopper.jpg
737KB, 1070x1328px
>>54449544
I already made the tail a large, clumsy striker, so maybe that's redundant. In an actual game I'd just be hand-waving stuff so the tail can be used like you said. Using Arm ST isn't a bad idea.
>>
Isnt super effort strength really good?
If I spend 500 points on it I deal 205d swinging damage, isn't that amazing?
>>
Is there an advantage that would allow a character to know when they're being looked at or when people are aware of them?
>>
>>54450079
It's decent, but you can't cleave through the front of a tank (718 average damage, while a tank has DR 1,375 on the front). You could totally cleave through the side of it and send it real close to -1xHP, though.

>>54450181
Danger Sense is close. Detect (People observing me) is probably more accurate.
>>
I just discovered that the pelvis is a pretty wicked hit location to aim for
>>
What is the best way to make varied characters?

Everyone I make seems to only be good at one thing
>>
>>54452655
Higher points count while limiting the amount of points that can be spent on a single area during character creation.

Forces players to spread out their options, then they can come back during the game to train themselves in skills they wish to be better at.
>>
So /GURPSGEN/, my GM and I are talking about the best way to represent a certain character concept, and we were hoping to get some ideas.

Getting to the point, the character is a cyber-brain who interfaces directly to the brain stem of a human body. The body powers the brain, but if it is destroyed then the brain just goes into hibernation (so headshots would still be lethal). It's helpless in that state, and would need somebody to scoop it out of the former host's skull and stick it in a new body. My concept right now is that the brain enhances the body physically by giving at-will adrenaline strength and immunity to pain, so it plays like a sort of beefy berserker.

Any suggestions for advantages and such? Also, what the hell do I do about the attributes for the replacement bodys? What if the brain ends up in a bodybuilder or a ballerina? Should I be paying full price for the physical attributes of the brain's current host at char gen?

By the way, the brain's name is CALIBAN, which stands for (CALIBAN Anthro-emulative Logic-forming Interface and Biologically Attached Neural network)

Yes, the C stands for CALIBAN-- it's a recursive acronym. Extremely kool.
>>
File: 1420073794365.jpg (52KB, 550x736px) Image search: [Google]
1420073794365.jpg
52KB, 550x736px
>>54452655
Ask for a few more points. 150/-40 lets you really do several things well.

DX 12, IQ 12. This makes you valid for a lot of task at minimal point investment and lets you cover any gaps in the rest of the group's skills. You won't be as good as e specialist, but you should be better then nothing.

Don't put more then 12 points into any one skill at character creation.

Don't worry if you aren't quite as strong as you could be, the versatility really does make up for it.
>>
>>54452757
Affliction
Possession
>>
>>54452757

Page 95, Basic Set

Unkillable (2) with Cybernetic (-0%), Reincarnation (-20%) and Trigger (Cybernetic Implant into Valid Body) (-25%) and Achilles Heel (Headshots, Rare) -10%
>>
If I wanted to make a tiny flying cube, what advantages would I have to take too show that I really only have a torso?
>>
>>54452655
Always more modifiers. Never just buy an advantage, slap at least 7 mods on it. If you haven't gone cross eyed by that point, slap mods on the mods.
>>
>>54452846
I was strongly considering some options with this. Possession seems to take into account any variations in the host body, but this version of it is even more limited than the injection version, which is at -60%. If I go up to -80% then it's a 20pt dip for some very high potential gains. It seems a little wrong.

>>54452864
I think this represents things a bit more accurately, but it really leaves things very vague for the whole point total of the new body thing. While I don't intend to hunt for a perfect body, that advantage doesn't take into account the fact that I will have a pretty strong degree of choice in what kind of body I inhabit. Do you think I'm just concerning myself too much with the cost of the physical attributes?
>>
>>54452899
No Legs (Ariel); No Manipulators; Injury Tolerance (No Brain/Eyes/Neck/etc.).
>>
>>54452981
If you want to try and increase your point total you need possession and to be ready to fight to keep riding, as it lets you take over a body with a higher point total then you have.

Reincarnation gives you a new body when your old body bites it, created by the GM or you with GM approval, but doesn't effect your point total. Your new body will be different but not more expensive then your old one.
>>
>>54452981
I really do think the second one is the most elegant, though I feel like being shot in the head during the course of being reduced to -10xhp might be slightly more likely than rare.
>>
>>54453078
I don't really plan to try to increase the point total, but I feel like it is a reasonably likely thing to have happen. I think I will go with the unkillable option, but spend some points on the original host and try to save points in case the next body is an upgrade.

Thanks, you guys are great.
>>
>>54452757
As you exist as a concept you would just have your INT, an HT value based on the durability of your casing, your skills and your personality/mental based traits.

You would also have Possession with appropriate limitations, and an Affliction you give to the body that can give immunity to pain and the desired adrenaline effect.

>>54452981
You should buy your initial body as per the Allie advantage (Base 36) with minion enhancement, and the Puppet advantage.
All physical traits you want, besides ones that are directly related to CALIBAN and his cases, would be bought by this minion instead of you.
This includes your DX, ST, and HT attribute.

I think you would want your minion to have Payload (page 74) as well to give the effect of you riding inside its skull. That means you could also get the DR bonus of your minions skull (which is 4 if it's a typical human) protecting you from headshots.
>>
>>54453248
Aaaaah, this is a good idea too. Now I have to think again!
>>
>>54453248
Possession in this case is going to need Takes Preparation and some level of skill requirement.. installing is brain surgery.
>>
Should I apply the Survivable Guns rules only to Rifles or should I also apply them to Pistols?
>>
>>54453923
Unless you want everyone to just go Desert Eagle or .44 magnum, yes. You apply it to all guns, or no guns otherwise you're gonna end up with people just blasting their way through problems with heavy pistols or shotgun slugs.
>>
>>54453923
No, it's only for firearms that do 5d+ damage. The article specifically talks about this.
>>
I got a question about GCS. I want to make a separate equipment library for my campaign. Is there a way to copy some items from an existing equipment library?
>>
>>54454003
Make a new piece of equipment in the new equipment library, then drag and drop other library's equipment into it. Making a new equipment in your library just makes it easier to click and drag. Remember that you can select lots of equipment by shift-clicking, or specific pieces by ctrl+clicking.
>>
>>54454065
Cool, thanks. Making a new piece of equipment to make drag and drop possible is what I was missing. GCS's interface really has some rough edges.
>>
>>54434121

Most GMs would cap skills at something reasonable
>>
File: snorri.pdf (26KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
snorri.pdf
26KB, 1x1px
I'm new to GURPS and thought I'd try my hand at building a character from a novel, just to sort of learn the system and GCS.

This is Snorri Varsnagusson from the book Prince of Fools (I had the audiobook, so I might be misspelling his name). Basically, he's a big viking on a quest to get a magical key that will open the door into death, so he can somehow save his family who he failed to protect from necromancers.

He's a pretty friendly fellow and I think the hardest thing I had was trying to come up with flaws - for most of the book, he's sort of possessed by a shadowy creature named Áslaug that whispers seductively to him during the period the sun is setting, and sometimes enhances his strength. I have no idea how to include that, so I left it out and just put in the guilt complex for his family and stuff.

Anyways, I'd really like pointers on how to make this better, whether the point total is too high, etc. I'm planning on DMing at some point so I kinda want to know what point value to set up if I want interesting characters.
>>
>>54454003
Yes, you can drag and drop equipment from a character sheet or another equipment library directly into a new library, as long as your new library is set to be edit-able.

But there's a bug that it won't let you drag and drop into an empty library. You need to create a equipment item, any item at all, in the library first before you drag anything in.
>>
>>54454317
>when you spent 10 minutes looking for that whore photo and the question was already answered
>>
>>54454264
He looks good, though you've got some mistakes mostly in skills and I think the attributes might be a little off..

First, he has a weapon that goes off the Two Handed Axe/Mace skill, but has only the Axe/ Mace skill. He should either go for a lighter axe (a really good idea anyway.. the throwing axe or normal axe are better then great axes for anyone that doesn't REALLY need a little extra reach and a little extra damage).

Framing is for growing plants. This guy would have animal handling (goats) and maybe a point in Veterinary to reflect the skills of a shepard.

He likely has too much DX. 14 reflects an exceptional amount of grace and athletic ability, like a gymnast, dancer or acrobat. Dropping down to 12 would save a lot of points and he could buy up his skills to make up the difference.

What you described about the creature sounds like Phantom Voices, a disadvantage on page 148 of the basic set.

Otherwise this isn't bad at all for a first draft. I hope you have fun and stay with GURPS.
>>
>>54453991
actually, it just says 'high velocity projectiles like rifle bullets' and 'guns firing relatively low velocity projectiles (under approximately 1,800' per second)'
the only mentions of 5d is in examples (ie modifying a gun with 5d+1) and in saying 'high power rifles will often do 5d to 7d'
there isn't much more help or advice for picking exactly which bullets should get the treatment unless you have all the projectiles' real life velocities at hand (which is a poor measure to balance your game by if it's all you have to work with, and isn't helpful for the layman)

also, 5d isn't even a hard and fast rule anyway, because the 4.6mm PDW at 4d+1 pi- is an explicit example of something covered by the rule. this could put the cutoff point somewhere at or below 4d (remember, 0.5x wound mult for pi-)

ultimately you just kind of have to make assumptions and work with implications and what you can figure out on your own
>>
>>54454581
Telling you, you need to apply it to everything or nothing. Otherwise players will find a way around it with the sheer number of firearms available.
>>
>>54454581
Don't listen to >>54454615, they have no idea what the purpose of the rule is or how it works.

Okay, have the cutoff at 4d then, it doesn't matter too much. The problem the rule solves is firearms being overly lethal. Guns that do 3d-1~3d+2 are about right in the range for 10 HP humans, as that sends them to around 0 HP without killing them.

4d+ dice damage guns having an AD of (2) means that they're good at penetration (realistic) and don't gib you with a single shot (also realistic). Both of those have an additional bonus of lowering overall lethality. There's no reason why players wouldn't still choose rifles as their main weapon, because the rifle has lost nothing except its unrealistic damage.
>>
>>54454481
>Getting salty on /gurpsgen/
Who hurt you?

And I had the picture in a moment. The ten minutes was looking at GCS and trying to remember how the bug works.

>>54454615
You can just apply Survivable Firearms to anything able to do more then 16 damage in a hit.
>>
File: snorri.pdf (26KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
snorri.pdf
26KB, 1x1px
>>54454565
Thanks, that helps a lot. For phantom voices, I figure it problably needs a reduction - the voices are bad, but they only occur during sunset, so I gave it a -50% penalty. Is that sort of thing typical?

Thanks for catching the greataxe/two-handed skill thing.

Dropping dex down to 12 makes more sense points-wise too, I think 200 points is probably the region I'll want to set.
>>
>>54454581
Rule of thumb: apply only to rifles until you know better. Damage dice has nothing to do with it. This PDW is exception because it's based on MP7 which uses weird-ass ammunition designed to improve armor penetration over old SMGs.
>>
Is there an online resource detailing Basic Lift and the Encumbrance thresholds extrapolated from it? I'd like to calculate just how much a mule with Lifting ST 20 can carry.
>>
>>54455072
B353 STxST/5
>>
File: HT162.jpg (244KB, 888x910px) Image search: [Google]
HT162.jpg
244KB, 888x910px
>>54454685
>The problem the rule solves is firearms being overly lethal. Guns that do 3d-1~3d+2 are about right in the range for 10 HP humans, as that sends them to around 0 HP without killing them.
Survivable Guns -- very crappy article. Much of gunfights takes place in places relatively close to modern days. And there aviable such thing as ceramic trauma plates which can be inserted in ballistic vests. Such plates +25 DR, +$500, +4 lbs. LC3, and should lose 1 DR per every full 10 damage from bullet. And so we can talk about plain and simple bullet vest with ~30 DR on your front at total weight of 6 lbs.
With Survivable Guns these plates nearly indestructible, coz gun raw damage was reduced in favor of armor divisor, and with that damage it'll have hard time to penetrate 15 DR (4d+1 average 15) after AD (But blunt trauma, yes).
>>
>>54455164

Oh, I am aware of the formula for BL. Are there any for the various levels of Encumbrance?
>>
>>54455430
B17
>>
>>54455441
Also the freaking character sheet.
>>
If I take Extra Attack as a super, can I use a single weapon for both attacks or those attacks have to be with different hands
>>
>>54456474
>use a single [weapon] for both attacks
+20%
>those attacks have to be with different [hands]
Base
>>
>>54456602
cheers
>>
>>54454800
Accessibility limitations are common on Advantages and Disadvantages that only work some of the time. I might give it a more serious -80%, given the flaw isn't very debilitating when he knows it will occur. It's still dangerous however, and people that see it can have a reaction penalty to him at any time.

>>54456602
Technically Extra Attack can be used with different anything. Laser vision + Sword, Kick + Punch, Grapple + Bite, ect.

You just can't use the same attack twice without multiattack.
>>
>>54457103
>Technically Extra Attack can be used with different [anything]. Laser vision + Sword, Kick + Punch, Grapple + Bite, ect.
Base

>You just can't use the same attack twice without [multiattack].
+20%
>>
>>54450079
It had better be good if it costs 500 points.
>>
If I attack with a pick weapon I have to make a ST roll or it gets stuck. If I have 18 ST does this mean I automatically remove my weapon?
>>
>>54458729
Roll of 17 or 18 is automatic failure, so you still have to roll.
>>
>>54458729
Sadly 17 and 18 on a success roll always fails, so even with that strength you have a chance, though a small one, to fail. Swing/IMP weapons can kill easily but have a lot of disadvantages.
>>
>>54458813
If I was to use say a greatsword with that ST is there much reason to use thrust (1d+5 imp) over swing (3d+4 cut)? I dont see any disadvantages to doing the bigger damage attack, yes imp does 2x damage, but the math works to cut doing more.
>>
>>54458890
Sometimes you don't have room to swing, or need to hit something specific. An impaling attack can be flavorful rp too.
>>
>>54458890
Generally no, thrust damage tend to fall behind pretty quickly.
That said, thrust to vitals still can be useful and it's easier to perform than hitting the skull or neck.
>>
>>54458890
Some hit locations (eyes, vitals, chinks in armor) can't be hit by cutting attacks. Martial Arts also has some optional rules about that, like Defensive Grip not allowing swinging attacks.
>>
>>54458729
>does this mean I automatically remove my weapon?
No Niussance Rolls (swing impaling stuck check) [1]
>>
>>54459220
that one Perk alone is *devastating* in the insane killing power it grants you
>>
>>54459253
Having level 16+ means 98.1% probability of success.
And you paying [1] to remove those 1.9% of failure, unitl you have level 16+
it's just how GURPS showing that he can do modern gamedesign narration shticks, like "I'M MODERN SYSTEM!!!! I CAN INTO PLAYERDRIVEN NARRATION CONTROL!!!! LOOK HE CAN BUY ABILITY TO NOT SUCK IN NARROW ACTION!!! PLAY WITH ME SOMEONE!!!!"
>>
History Question. What is the heaviest armor that is still practical to march in?
>>
Does this look like a reasonable way of handling this concept?

I want to be able to either duplicate and use compartmentalized mind. A set up like this would let me trade ranks between the two, to a minimum of zero ranks in one and max of five ranks in the other, so you could have up to 5 duplicates, or five more compartments.

I have it balanced out so each rank of either skill costs 20 points, fudging the numbers on duplication a small bit as normally with the -40% cost it would be 21 points per level, and overcosting c.mind, as alternate abilities usually multiply the price by 0.2, not 0.4, so swapping these around doesn't change the point value of the character.
>>
>>54459402
>What is the heaviest armor

Superheavy platemail with three levels of hardening on it an-

>that is still practical to march in?

Oh. Probably anything below plate.
>>
>>54459424
You still have to pay x1/5 for your other ability, i.e. total cost of this package should be 120.
>>
>>54459424
>>54459852
Actually nevermind, how the heck did you reduce cost of CM to 20 per level?
CM 5 is 250
Duplication 5 with your limitations is 105 (or 100 if you want to fudge a little, whatever)
You have to buy the most expensive ability for full cost.
>>
>>54459402
Full Quadguard IV auxellery protection armor combined with Interceptor Body Armor in the XL size weighs around 70 pounds. Like most historical armor that weighs that much it's intended for mounted forces but can also be used for marching.

Historically, dismounted Briton knights in transitional armor are likely the heaviest ones that march. A breastplate, guards on the shins and armor worn over chain halburk and full helm might be more then 60-80 pounds, and even if lighter then a poor USMC assultman dismounted in turret gunner armor, it's going to be a higher percentage of the body weight of the wearer.
>>
>>54459424
You done some weird shit. If you GM approve that shit for ya you winner.
If you wanna do it right:
1) You buy Duplication 1 and CM 1.
2) Expensive one at full cost, cheaper one at 1/5 of cost.
4) Repeat 4 times.
5) In the end you will have 5 pairs of CM & Duplication, whose you can switch individually.
This cuz usually leveled advantages counts as one single advantage, so it easily will get you in situation where you can have active only CM 5 or only Duplicate 5 or something like that.
>>
>>54454581
I can't remember where it says it (it could even be in High Tech for 3E) but your 1/2D is basically the speed of the bullet, albeit in Yds rather than feet. So anything with 1/2D greater than 600 should have it's damage reduced and the armour divisor added. Pistols, even Desert Eagles and Ruger Redhawks shouldn't have their damage changed, but PDWs should.
>>
>>54461569
That's only for guided/homing weapons
>>
What resources does GURPS have for random encounters?
>>
>>54462627
>random encounters
Go back to ur dungeons
Or write ur own by urself
>>
>>54459881
>>54461026
>compartmentalized mind is more expensive than duplication
That is retarded.
>>
>>54462627
Not much, but hopefully the DF box will come with something. When I make encounter tables, I use nesting tables; I roll 1d to determine encounter difficulty (1-2 Easy; 3-4 Standard; 5 Tough; 6 Very Tough has worked for me so far) and then roll on the appropriate table. Each difficulty table includes a number of encounters I made ahead of time. They can be anything, but I tend towards categories like a horde of tiny creatures or a few tough guys with underlings or one giant boss thing or whatever.

This is a random combat encounter table, though. If you're not doing a dungeon crawl, most of the table should be taken up by non-combat encounters, which could include hazards, events, friendly or at least non-hostile people, or something else.
>>
>>54462826
Not really? In no particular order:

First, CM allows multiple Concentrations on the same task, drastically cutting casting time if your campaign uses magic. Second, Duplication by default does not grant gear, meaning your dupes are going to be risky to bring out in adventuring situations, making the feedback and potential point loss HUGE. Third, CM grants protection against mind control and similar threats; a dupe can be turned against the rest as normal. Fourth, all parallel minds are controlled by the player while dupes are under the GM control and explicitly lack special abilities to coordinate. Finally, CM is infinitely more subtle and appropriate for more archetypes than Duplication.
>>
>>54463765
How would duplication have to be stated to allow the player direct control their dupes?
The ability is based around the concept that she is an AI, has telecommunication, mindlink and mind reading that are all racial so it only affects her and her duplicates. The compartmentalized mind is supposed to represent different processing cores within her system, and her then the duplicates would be the ability to send her cores off separately as an extension of herself, which could possess seperate things, though she lacks any sort of physical form at the moment as I've yet to buy any sort of allies for her to make into puppet bodies.
It doesn't truly matter because this is for an NPC character, but I'm trying to make her mostly in line with player's ability as well,
so making a character sheet helps maintain points value and proper management

Is there a way I could make Unkillable work so that as long as her or one of her duplicates remains alive then she can't actually die, as destroying the casing one is housed in would merely send its consciousness back to the nearest surviving unit returning as a rank of compartmentalized mind, and to truly kill her all physical forms would need to be destroyed, giving her signal nothing to transfer to, and it would be lost.

Also doesn't compartmentalized mind say it lacks the ability to coordinate on the same task, it just lets you focus on multiple seperate tasks in the same time span?
>>
>>54463765

Though I'm not the original guy, I want to chime in to point out that I don't think that any of the reasons you list really motivates CM being more expensive than duplication, especially so considering the sort of action economy fucking things you can do with duplicate.

For instance:
>Duplicates come unarmed, making them risky in case one gets hurt and create a feedback loop!

Compared to
>You fucking die if you take a stupid risk
>>
>>54464745
I was pointing out that the extra physical actions Duplication grants over CM is a non-issue in most adventuring situations because it's too risky to use them for physical fights when they come out unarmed and unarmored.
>>
>>54462826
>more expensive than duplication
That is retarded.
We can buy summonable 10 copy of self at 75% power thru ally just for [108]
>>
>>54464859

That's not really true though. Some basic investment in dodge or karate will be sufficient protection in most adventuring situations, unless for some reason you run a very gear dependent build/setting (which I suppose isn't super unlike in for instance a gritty high tech tactical shooting campaign).

I chose not to include such arguments is because I felt it was unfair to use skills and advantages that wasn't CM or duplicate in an argument about the merits of CM and duplicate.

Instead I pointed out that in one case, the advantage just puts you at risk of getting further hurt. In the other case, the advantage really doesn't do anything to protect you and in case you get hurt, the damage goes straight to your character.

Duplicate is a much more flexible advantage than CM.
>>
>>54465033
>>54465033
Duplicate also has the small problem that when your duplicates die you lose them forever.
>>
>>54465903

So does CM. And the rest of your character for that matter.

Your duplicate being an extra target is usually a good thing. It forces your opponents to split their attention, and the dupe can just play defensively with all-out defense to waste their time.

If they all gang up on the dupe, that's still preferable to them all ganging up on you in your lonesome, because that frees up one of you to go on the offense. It's also generally harder to take the back of a guy with a friend than a guy on his own.

Also, since dupes are cheaper than CM, you are more likely to actually be competent at fighting.

But hey, let's not limit the competition to just combat scenarios. Dupes are also generally speaking better in non-combat scenarios because you can climb on each others shoulders (among other things two people can do that one person cannot).
>>
New GURPS DM here. I want to make my first adventure in an Ultra Tech prison setting.

I will allow my players to play alien races they can come up with themselves, cyborgs or sentient robots. But they are not supposed to be half-gods, I want them to be more like above-average in a futuristic setting.

How many points seem appropriate? Should the Core Books and Ultra Tech be enough, or should I look into some other books?
>>
>>54466683
Basic Set and Ultra-Tech is good. Bio-Tech has a lot of templates you can use. Be aware that cyborgs and androids will have very high point totals due to all of the DR they have. Having players come up with concepts and you building the templates should be fine. I'd say try to keep character totals under 250~300 (androids being something of an exception, unless you make them only have DR 5 or the like).
>>
>>54466683
200 should be plenty, especially if you allow -25 worth of disads.
>>
>>54466683
Biotech and Transhuman Space are fun to read just for sci-fi inspiration even if you don't use them
>>
>>54466756
>>54466799
>>54466805
Good to know, thanks.
Are some android templates in Bio-Tech or what kind of templates are there?

I think having very high DR isn't that much of a concern, as the adventure will probably not be combat focused (unless the players want to of course).
>>
>>54466683

Depends on your players. Optimizers might get a bit too much leeway with 250 points and would do better with a 150 points. People who like to build fluffy characters will probably make more interesting characters with 250 points.

Another thing to consider is that GURPS Space got a lot of good templates at the 150 points range. If your players are new, they might feel more comfortable leaning on a template.

There's not a one size fit all solution in GURPS. You also have to consider your players' tendencies.
>>
>>54465033
>>54466427
so what you're saying is that duplicate's real cost should be somewhere around 100+, up there with ATR?
>>
>>54467165

Possibly not 100 points, but it's at least a match to CM.

It depends also on how you compare duplication to summonable allies.

You can also make the argument that it's actually CM that got the inflated price. Is it really worth 50 points in non-magic campaigns?
>>
File: 1443885253630.jpg (478KB, 2000x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1443885253630.jpg
478KB, 2000x1440px
>tfw banned for teh lewds
>>
This week on Grimwyld:

Venturing into a dwarven tomb we found a drow-lich doing creepy magic shit over a bloody alter and human sacrifice. Dwarf gunman Suori let his displeasure be known by blasting the fool with a musket, only to deal only light damage to a dead man.

The team gets set up for a litch Fight, readying weapons and shooting at him before this fucker summons shadow magic and turns into a goddamn dragon, flying over and nearly biting Roderick in half. He gets away by a dive roll that leaves him prone on the ground.

The group unloads into the dragon point blank, blowing off it's shadow magic ass head and spearing it with a giant fucking harpoon before the magic breaks and we've got the litch back hovering there with a harpoon sticking out of him like it's nothing.

Roderick's back up and tries a little fire on it. This burns the litch's dusty bones and leaves us facing the boss's final form as the harpoon falls out of the crumbling body. All that remains is green mist.

Green mist that BREATHS FUCKING FIRE on us, apparently having stolen the trick from Roderick. Bomrek the grumpy dwarf gets hit by enough fire to put him at -2 HP and very upset as he spends the rest of the fight stopped, dropped and rolled.

Suori, the other dwarf, tries to get revenge for his incinerated friend with a glave and the green mist vanishes while Suori gets put on pause, frozen in space unable to move.

Resident monster Gray tries to kick out the spirit but it's a no-go, so Roderick steps up and saves the day by stabbing his friend with a magic blade that kills evil spirits. Suori gets freed from possession at the low cost of 3 HP.

We look around, Suori says that he heard the sprirt thinking about how it's a mythic dwarven tomb with a vault hidden inside. We've got a goal for next week.
>>
When you knock an enemy prone by hitting them and they fail a Knockdown & Stunning check, do they always fall face-down prone? Can you decide if they fall face-up? Or can they decide?
>>
>>54469780
I kind of assume face-up, with the idea that they are knocked back and fall onto their ass/back. That said I don't know if they say explicitly so for me I'd make it defender's choice if they land on their back or front.
>>
Why isn't Ultra-Tech liked?
>>
>>54470331
>GURPS Ultra-Tech is a nifty book full of some fine inspiration. It is, however, a victim of being one of the first Tech books out there from fourth edition, and one that tried to be a few things at once, possibly while it was being written, possibly during playtest, and certainly during the post-playtest rewrites that occurred.

>The projectile weapons are . . . in need of some work. There are some notable issues for the weapons, and honestly what they’re in need of is a redesign, rather than a rationalization. So, without further ado, here are some thoughts.

https://gamingballistic.com/2017/04/02/sunday-is-gunday-gurps-ultra-tech-pistols/
>>
File: 1-1920 x 1200.jpg (892KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1-1920 x 1200.jpg
892KB, 1920x1200px
>>54470529
>>54470331

UT really suffers for being poorly tested, the weapons and armor don't really match up, and for not being very generic. It's TL's assume a quite specific technological path, one that doesn't quite jive with realism or with most sci fi, so it's a bit unsatisfying.
>>
A lot of techniques require you to succeed with a defense roll. But if your opponent simply misses, you never make a defense roll. Is it a common houserule to allow you to do those techniques after a miss? For instance, two unarmed martial artists. One tries to kick the other but misses. Can the other still try a Leg Grapple (MA 76)? RAW it seems no, but it seems odd to only be able to do these techniques against an opponent good enough to reliably hit you.
>>
File: WLFPnlx.jpg (364KB, 1200x993px) Image search: [Google]
WLFPnlx.jpg
364KB, 1200x993px
>>54472491

I'd make it a perk. One point to allow you to make a defense roll vs failed attacks, in case you wanted to do something that needs a successful parry to set up.
>>
Do any of you guys describe areas to your players and have them map them out?
>>
Is it possible to use Ritual Path Magic to create zombies & other undead that will last as until they are destroyed? I can't seem to find any clarification in the Undead path description or duration guidelines. It would be very odd if this simple function supplied by the default magic system cannot be done in RPM.
>>
>>54472410

Could you elaborate further?
>>
>>54473654
Sounds like a major pain desu, but if a player wants to do that they can. I usually have a map set up or can draw one to visualize a space, since I'm bad at describing scenes.

>>54473780
As far as I know, you can make zombies and such that stay around for as long as they have energy. If you want a "permanent" undead, better pump the spell full of energy, or buy it as an ally, or buy an affliction to afflict the undead template to corpses, etc. There might be a forum post contradicting this, but I can't find one.
>>
>>54473780
RPM explicitly avoids permanent effects. You need long-term undead - you pay for extra duration. See Bag of Bones on p.39 as an example.
>>
>>54473780
THM -> "Variant Durations: Conditional Termination"
>>
>>54473862
>>54473896

How does this interfere with using RPM to turn my character into a Lich? I'm going to play a, post successful transformation, lich and am deciding between the default magic system (using the old "ritual magic" option from GURPS: Magic) or RPM.
>>
>>54473931
>Conditional Termination

Derp, thanks.
>>
If you have grappled an enemy, what are YOUR defense options? I can't find them. All I can see is you can't retreat, which seems obvious. Assume two humans here.
>>
>>54474290
Well, you can't block if you have a shield. You can dodge, but not retreat. You can parry with a weapon that has Reach C or unarmed. You're not penalized whatsoever, as you aren't grappled.
>>
>>54474312
I could still parry with my arms despite grabbing him with both arms? Interesting... What penalties are there to defending against other enemy's attacks? Other than the usual that would come from hex-based directions. It wouldn't make much sense, but could I Judo parry another enemy and Judo Throw them despite already grappling an enemy?
>>
>>54474392
>I could still parry with my arms despite grabbing him with both arms?
Not exactly. MA121:
>The grappler has no penalties. However, he can’t parry
>with a limb without releasing its hold on his victim. To
>retreat or use Acrobatic Dodge, he must let go with all of his
>limbs.

However, MA122:
>Not all parries involve limbs, either. If you parry a
>grappling technique (e.g., Judo Throw or Piledriver)
>using Boxing, Brawling, Judo, Karate, Sumo
>Wrestling, or Wrestling, you can opt to “counter” –
>twist or sprawl so that your adversary’s technique
>fails – rather than slap away your enemy’s hands.
>This doesn’t require a free hand. It resembles a
>dodge, but it’s a parry in game terms.

>What penalties are there to defending against other enemy's attacks?
Whatever penalties are associated with the technique or combat options or positioning they're taking, e.g. deceptive attack, riposte, feint, etc.

>It wouldn't make much sense, but could I Judo parry another enemy and Judo Throw them despite already grappling an enemy?
If you're only using one arm to maintain a grapple on someone, meaning you have one hand free to parry and judo throw with, yes. Otherwise, no.
>>
>>54474471
Oh, fantastic, thank you for those page references. One other thing: when Judo Throw says the enemy has to be "within a yard'":
If the enemy and I are currently 1 hex apart, at kicking range, then I parry & retreat, so at my turn we're 2 hexes apart, could I step in with the step granted by an Attack and perform a Judo Throw?
>>
>>54474514
>could I step in with the step granted by an Attack and perform a Judo Throw?
That would put them within a yard, so I'd say yes. If there's a ruling otherwise, I don't know it off the top of my head.

>Oh, fantastic, thank you for those page references.
Anybody that doesn't give page references, or at least refer to a specific book when citing rules for GURPS, deserves to be thrown into North Korean gulags. Fuck them. Fuck you for making me hunt down every last little ruling. If you can't cite it, don't say it.
>>
>>54473797

In UT the TL 9 armor tends to be worse then TL 8 armor from High Tech, and in general armor lags so far behind weapons that it's pointless to wear any.

Laser based personal weapons are a thing, despite IRL being about as likely to happen as Flash Gordon heat ray guns. Hard, fast nanotech systems able to be deployed outside of a laboratory are also assumed to be a thing, despite being way, way less likely to happen then Flash Gordon heat ray guns.

Cybernetics are weirdly broken up by TL, and the TL of different items isn't very well justified or explained.
>>
>>54473963
Remember that you can add to the duration for quite cheap. If you can manage to become a lich with a duration of a decade, a single low-energy ritual adds another decade to the duration; you need only spend a few seconds every ten years keeping the spell afloat.
>>
>>54474812
Refreshing duration ritual refreshes only at duration which was in base ritual, so he need decade duration in base ritual, where it's additional shittons of energy with greather effect multiplier slaped on.
>>
>>54474812
>ritual adds another decade to the duration; you need only spend a few seconds every ten years keeping

But that makes no sense if the character has fundamentally changed into something else. I suppose I might instead go with the default magic system or find a way to make what you said make sense (e.g. have that energy be gained through consuming souls and have the lich permanently die if "spell" ends, or have the spell work somewhat mechanically similar to healing in that the real affect is triggering a permanent transformation).
>>
>>54474964

Alternatively, it might be better to use the mechanics of RPM to instead set important steps of a more esoteric "Lichdom ritual." Therefore, you are not a lich because of an active RPM spell but rather the aftermath of one (or a set of some). This would also help explain vampires and proper truly vast (beyond the energy acquisition of even an ancient lich) undead armies that can last centuries before being destroyed in battle.
>>
>>54475095
Greater Create Time effect (perpetual spell)? Only usable on spells with a duration of at least 10 years, rather then a normal duration the spell exist in an eternal loop. After being cast it will always exist, and has always existed.

Can be dispelled as normal. Prone to causing fucked up paradox if used carelessly.
>>
>>54470331
>>54474678
Shilling my take on UT armor/weapon fix thing.
https://enragedeggplant.blogspot.com/2017/07/ultra-tech-armor-and-weapons-adjustments.html
>>
File: 24584250_p0.jpg (798KB, 1178x1000px) Image search: [Google]
24584250_p0.jpg
798KB, 1178x1000px
>>54468757
“Damned be the Drow who desecrated our forefathers'—and possibly Allfather's!—hallowed crypt with the blood of Elves and his filthy rituals! He took a shot from my musket as though it was nothing, already dead yet unliving as he was, and enveloped himself in a dark mist. Our Elf's arrows, blindly fired into the dark cloud, did naught; then, from out of the fog leapt a black dragon. It crossed the distance between us and the floor in an instant, and snapped at Roderick!

“He narrowly dodged—quite a feat in all that heavy armour!—and the dragon's head was now beside me. I swiveled my musket towards it, and blew it clean off, but from the hollow neck the dark Elf just chuckled at the effort, the bastard. A harpoon tossed by might Gray struck the dragon's heart though, and shattered the disguise. The floating Drow was now exposed, and Roderick from on the ground incinerated his rotten body in a mighty blaze!

“Though his bones and what little flesh still clung to them fell to the ground as ashes, he fucker was STILL not dead yet, remaining where he floated as a green shade. Just how many times do you need to kill someone to finally banish them from the world?! The shade retaliated by blasting Bomrek with a great fireball. By the Allfather, so enveloped was he by the flame, I thought he was done for. In anger, I swung my bardiche at the spirit.

“I did not expect to do any damage swinging worldly wood and honest metal at a shimmering spirit, but neither did I expect that the villain would jump into my weapon, and then into my body, which he thus held hostage—but unpleasant though it was being frozen in place, with someone else inside my mind, I knew the battle over. My friends, one of them, any of them, would kill or exorcise the ghost now that it was trapped (though, in hindsight, I'd rather it had been Gray, but the fiend resisted his efforts).

1/2
>>
File: 40604297_p0.jpg (666KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
40604297_p0.jpg
666KB, 1000x800px
>>54476436
“I thus exchanged thoughts with the spirit in the meantime, seeking to learn more of his cause and this place. He revealed quite a bit, boasting and priding himself of his crimes, and thinking victory secure. The vault housed ancient artifacts indeed, as I had suspected, and it was guarded by yet more ‘Golems’—'tis what the spider of metal we had encountered was called, I learned. Alas, he'd murdered their makers in times long past, and had since made this outpost his den, trying for centuries to break into the vault.

“I raged that he had killed such great Dwarven craftsmen, and forever robbed the world of their marvelous art, but satisfaction was soon to come. Though Gray's effort failed, Sir Roderick had drawn his possessed Fae-sword, and thrust it right past my ribs! A nasty feeling, though I won't fault him; I trusted him to kill the invading spirit ere he killed my body, and this he did. It cried out in pain, and vanished from me, and from the world—finally!

“He rushed to heal Bomrek and bring him back from near-death, and afterwards to heal my wound, before he himself collapsed from exhaustion. What a battle indeed! As we all rested, I told them what I had learned; after we have cleaned up this place and thrown out the Elven carcasses, we ought to open the Vault to see what lies inside, and if it might even be the artifact that gypsy Witch had foretold us of.”
>>
>>54475711
Not bad. I like the suggestions and they do make things a lot closer to what I imagine it should be.

>>54476436
Exorcism is hard on motherfuckers with high Will. I need to bother the GM to find out exactly what the rules for that are. So far I've just been improvising. and trying it on things
>>
>>54474964
I would treat it as needing character points to finalize the effects of the spell. I remember reading somewhere that long-term beneficial afflictions may be made permanent if the subject has enough points free to spend to buy the effects. The same can be true here.

This would--fluff wise--make the difference between a pretender and a real archmage ready for lichdom; those without the insight and experience (free character points) simply cannot bind the magic to their soul properly, creating an unstable form that must be periodically propped up with further magics.

>>54474927
True, but if you can't handle the additional cost of long duration, you don't deserve to be a lich IMO. Making it cheap makes it common, and it feels weird to have the equivalent of level 8 wizards running around as liches.
>>
>>54475095

What was described here is almost a verbatim copy of how the lich spell works in the default magic system (i.e. you must cast the spell and drink the potion of lichdom while said spell is still in affect, thereafter you are permanently transformed into a lich--a result that cannot be dispelled because the magic had already done its work and ended its cast). I judge any alternate magic system on the basis that, at the very least to a bare minimum, it can replicate spells from the default system--moving beyond those spells is merely a plus. Therefore, as none of you seem to accept that RPM can do exactly what's been described, I'm not using RPM for my lich game.
>>
>>54479122
But the default magic system is wonky as fuck. No other systems grants infinite DR (fire) and for good fucking reason.
>>
>>54479361

Hence "[...] at the very least to a bare minimum[...]". Any alternate system can have improvements and/or superior mechanisms beyond that crucial point (though they will, inevitably, have their own flaws). What you've posted is a non-sequitur, in that the context here is RPM's apparent inability to replicate a non-broken default spell.
>>
>>54479618
>It needs to be able to recreate the spells from the default magic system!
>A lot of those spells are broken shit and no system makes the same mistakes. That's a shitty litmus test.
>Hurr how is that relevant what a non-sequitur
>>
>>54480139

Again, that is only the first step: from there improvements can be made. Furthermore, this response still ignores the specifically referred to spell affect (which is the real point/focus of those past posts) which is, itself, not an example of the broken spells.
>>
Can someone share 3G3 or Vehicles3e spreadsheets?
>>
What advantages lend to making a versatile character?

Gurps tends towards specialization, but are there advantages to get better at a lot of things?
>>
>>54473963

Personally, I'd suggest just using the enchantment "system" for this. You don't just cast a ritual, you enchant yourself into a Lich and gain the template. Every 25 days of 8 hours of work, you make a Path of Magic check to gain a CP toward your template. If you want to play up that it's a /necromancy/ thing, as your DM if you can use Path of Undead instead of Path of Magic.
>>
>>54482846
Attributes. Wildcard skills and talents can have a broad focus.
>>
>>54473963
>>54482920
So that's 2625 days of enchanting if you use the RPM system to apply the template from Magic. If you did it with the system in Magic, you'd take (105 + your current character point total) days. So Magic's system's a lot faster, I suppose, but the general idea's the same, so it might work for your campaign? Of course, if it happened in your backstory, the time doesn't actually matter other than that you took about 7 years off to turn yourself into a Lich at some point.
>>
>>54482846

Attributes and talents. Advantages like versatility, visualization and singleminded.
>>
>>54482920
>>54483020

This works great, thanks. This method could also make use of the Phylactery concept. How do think this could also be used to make mummies and undead armies?
>>
>>54483358
Um. Either enchant yourself with allies, or enchant the target with the appropriate template, I guess? I'd just use the standard "Create Non-permanent undead with absurd durations" or "create undead with the conditional termination" suggested >>54473931, myself? I've had one of my players use a draconic ascension ritual, so I already had a methodology for adding a template to yourself ready, not really sure how to make permanent undead armies in a useful way.
>>
>>54483549

Could you perhaps make enchanted objects which function as bond versions of undead animating spells? This would then be implanted/inserted inside of a corpse and keep it undead so long as said object remains inside (possibly representing this as a constant dependency, as residual mystical animating energy remains long enough, after said object being destroyed or removed, for it to move around some more as it crumbles away). Making an undead army this way would be absurd for mortal's lifespan. A lich, however, has all the time it needs to make a bunch of these enchanted objects for later implantation (along with forming connections, making a few undead guards, and setting up traps along the way).

I could also see this idea being an example of an early phylactery, with the next stage essentially being the same thing that also holds a sapient being's soul. The final iteration, then, would be to fully enchant the body itself and only keep the "holding soul" function of said object intact while converting it into a D&D style phylactery. Each iteration would, understandably, require more time and effort; thus leading to a lich--after centuries of work--having a horde of mindless undead and a few fellow (kept weaker and non-mages) sapient undead for company. In like manner, you'd have at least three types of liches: One being a highly vulnerable one which can be destroyed by removing its implanted proto-phylactery, the normal GURPS one with its soul bound to it's enchanted body, and a D&D style one (along with a fourth possible one which then tends to improving the state of its undead form, such as being akin to the Dragon Priests in Skyrim). Yes, I rather like this idea and will use it in my campaign.
>>
>>54483888
Happy to have helped!
>>
New to GURPS here. I'm going through the Bio-tech book right now.

What do point costs in [ ] brackets mean?

For example you can purchase Nano-Bacteriophages for 250$/12,500$. Then you get "Statistics: Immunity to Known Bacteria [5]".

Do you still have to pay 5 points to get it, or do you just add these 5 points to your total point value?
>>
>>54484400

[n] = n may character points a given thing (be that an attribute, advantages, perk, etc.) costs, along with how much a set of such costs.

Be careful to not have an information overload with templates, that was one hurtle I had to get past when I started learning GURPS.
>>
>>54484544
But I'm kinda confused then. If I would buy Nano-Bacteriophages in character creation I would pay the money and the point cost, no?

But if I buy Nano-Bacteriophages during the adventure I would just have to pay the money. I haven't really understood it yet it seems.
>>
>>54484647
Depends on the GM, but most of the ones I've played with would only charge one or the other. Charging both seems like a player buying a gun and then forcing them to buy the innate attack replicating the effect as well.
>>
>>54484737
Makes sense. Thank you
>>
>>54484400

The number in the bracket is the actual point cost of the advantage, after all relevant modifiers have been accounted for.

These points will be part of a characters points total. That might mean you have to pay for them when you are buying a template for your character

Do notice though that most templates usually tell you the point total for the entire template. In case of racial templates, you simply buy the whole thing as one fixed sum.
>>
>>54484647

This depends on the GM. Some GM:s want wetware and cybernetics to be bought as equipment, some want them to be paid for in character points, some GM:s want both.
>>
>>54484965
GM gets to set how advancement works in their game. I've run a cyberpunk game where PCs received no bonus CP at all for adventuring and all advancement was paid for in cash, costing about $5000 per point.
>>
Does anyone happen to have a grimoire of oldschool D&D spells statted up as RPM rituals?
>>
>>54487674
>RPM
*tips fedora*
>>
so if I spend 25 points on an innate attack with the (+300% no active defense, +300% cosmic, +100% no roll to hit)

That costs 200 points, and I just automatically deal damage to them. I don't even think injury tolerance(DR) applies cause it's cosmic.

Isn't that good? Like really good?
>>
>>54488837
No enhancement, even Cosmic, can take away active defenses or resistance rolls. See Power-Ups - Enhancements.
>>
>>54488945
See powers 101
>>
>>54488837

You have to expend that Cosmic explicitly on "Ignores DR", then do it AGAIN for "Ignores Cosmic DR"

Then get one-shotted by someone that just put 80 points in guns.
>>
>>54488837
Can't take away defenses or rolls to resist, and even if you did get this by your GM...you spent 200 points on it.

Most player characters don't get 200 points to play with. Congrats. That innate attack is all you can do. You have no Observation to keep people from sneaking up on you, no stealth to sneak anywhere, and no skills like Housekeeping or Driving (Light Wheeled) to even help you exist as a functional adult.
>>
>>54488988
>>54488998
I mean, it is 5d6 that's close to a gun.

But yea it is a lot, but you don't have to roll to hit, and people can't dodge it.

If I attack a dude who has cosmic DR I'm probably screwed anyways.

And yes I don't have any defenses, and most games are limited to 150 points but in a high powered fantasy/supers game it could work

The game I was thinking about was a 750 point supers game
>>
>>54489106
Haha, no. Cosmic DR is to be expected in a supers game. You'd be fucked sideways.
>>
>>54489106

>And yes I don't have any defenses, and most games are limited to 150 points but in a high powered fantasy/supers game it could work

As an aside: That does give me a vague annoyance with innate attack/attack magic. They don't really scale with tech level very well, so your points get less valuable as tech gets better and equipment people can get for a pittance gets better. There likely should be some scaling for price vs what the current TL can handle.
>>
>>54489286
You sure?

Injury tolerance DR is better costed, and kicks the trash out of normal dr

Plus pi- costs 3 points and a fully irresistible attack is +1000%
>>
>>54488945
>No enhancement, even Cosmic, can take away active defenses
>>54488998
>Can't take away defenses

Yes you can. Power-Ups Enahcements, page 8:
No active defense allowed +300%
>Only for attacks that the target can dodge, block, or parry.
>Your target gets no active defense against your attack, no mat-
>ter how fast or skilled he is. If
>your attack roll succeeds, you
>hit. The victim’s DR and other
>purely passive protection
>work normally; see Irresistible
>attack (above) to fix that. This
>enhancement doesn’t prevent
>resistance rolls; see the intro-
>duction to Cosmic (p. 6) for
>more details.
>>
>>54489404
Alright, you can do it as per RAW.

ASSUMING your Gm allows the splats you require, and assuming he'll allow you to make an irresistible undodgeable attack.

So you're in the same boat as the 80pts in guns guy, congrats.
>>
>>54489546
No shit.
>>
>>54489546
>Hurr GM adjudication is necessary!
Hi, welcome to GURPS. The pastries and coffee are complimentary, but the sodas are not. Please enjoy your stay.
>>
>>54489546
I feel like if I allowed this it would be as a singular power on a otherwise normal person. A power that never misses, useful for solving puzzles or combat, but with limits to it's utility.
>>
>>54490727
It's like having a gun that auto hits anything in 100 yards, the moment you run out of things to shoot, well it's useless
>>
>>54488094
what's wrong with the best magic system in GURPS right now?
>>
>>54491828
You can unironically use fedora as trapping to reduce ritual's cost. I think that's what he meant to say.
>>
What are some good advantages etc for a smart, cautious Ritual Path Magic elf to have? I heard about some "just as planned" kinda advantage in one of the pyramid magazines, does anyone know which one or where it is in the mega?
>>
>>54492127
Gizmos. Need just the right tool pulled out of your coat? Perfect time to do it.

Standard Operating Procedure. Set some careful ones, like planning an escape rout.

Hard to Kill. When all else fails, play dead. Without checking, people won't be able to tell you didn't die.
>>
Any ways to make a face character?

Or a cult leader?

Is it worth it?
>>
>>54492127
The Action issue of Pyramid introduces a more generic form of Gizmo called Foresight; instead of retroactively bringing a useful item, you can take any sort of action retroactively. For example, NPC betrays you and leaves you for dead? Good thing you planned ahead and loaded his escape helicopter with explosives.

Other options to consider are high Per and enough Margery/Thaumatology to have a number of ohshit rituals on standby, including Sense Mind to detect nearby hostile intent, Create Crossroads to get the fuck out of Dodge, and a general Control Chance ritual. Ask your GM if modifiers for Magery the reduce the risk of critical failures are allowed.
>>
GURPSGEN: I need help, please. I'm trying to make Insubstantial with the limitation of not working against cold iron objects. How would I model this? (That is, he's insubstantial, except people with cold iron weapons can ignore it.)

>>54492127
Pyramid 3-53, the article's called "Fortunately, I Saw This Coming", hilariously /also/ by PK. The advantage is Foresight.
>>
I was thinking of having my players fight with a guy that has an aura of silence. As in, they have the ability to just remove all sound in 25 feet around him for example. So I was assuming that the best way to do this would be to give him Affliction (Deafness), then slap an Aura modifier on that. Reading about Aura though, it seems to only affect those you touch or that touch you, which isn't really what I'm after. Any pointers?
>>
>>54492320
You make it by reading the book. The start of it discusses character archetypes. It isn't worth it because I only run murderhobo games where Mute is a mandatory disadvantage, because mirrorpeople can't talk. Only move.
>>
>>54492399
Area Effect + Emanation?
>>
>>54492423
Yeah, that's perfect. Thanks.
>>
>>54492377
The limitation "accessibility" fits the bill.
>>
>>54492481
Huh. Didn't think that limitation applied like that. Guess that makes sense. Thank you!
>>
>>54492399
That's Obscure (Hearing) with Area Effect + Emanation.
>>
>>54492320
Plenty. In general, there are two approaches--focus on good reaction rolls and focus on good influence rolls--though you will likely do a mix because why not. Reaction rolls can be improved cheaply and are universal, but you don't always get them. Influence rolls take a bunch of different skills and/or an expensive Talent, but those skills have other uses and may (time permitting) be used when Reaction rolls aren't. Faces also can have secondary uses like haggling if they're a merchant or sneaking if they're a spy.

Cult leaders mostly need Public Speaking for addressing the congregation and Fast-Talk for dodging uncomfortable questions (plus Acting if they haven't drank their own koolaid)

That depends on the campaign. A face is not worth it in a dungeon crawling campaign because you won't get too many chances to shine. Anywhere else, though, yeah it's hella useful.
>>
File: Diplomat.jpg (161KB, 720x704px) Image search: [Google]
Diplomat.jpg
161KB, 720x704px
>>54492595

>A face is not worth it in a dungeon crawling campaign because you won't get too many chances to shine.

Depends on the sort of negotiator they are.
>>
File: Diplomat2.jpg (248KB, 720x961px) Image search: [Google]
Diplomat2.jpg
248KB, 720x961px
>>54492658
>>
>>54492508
it's a catch-all for a *lot* of things.
>>
>>54492374
>modifiers for Magery the reduce the risk of critical failures

Where can I read this rule and how does it work?
>>
>>54492886
Stable Casting. Thaumatology, page 28.
>>
>>54486744

That's a clever idea. I guess a lot of videogames do the same thing, but I've never thought of applying it on my own games.
>>
>>54493777
It really helped me sell the money-grubbing, cash hunger setting. Getting paid wasn't just for buying gear, it was for upgrading yourself on the black market.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.