[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is hatred for elves so common?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 18

File: Warhammer_High_Elves_warfare.jpg (133KB, 547x627px) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer_High_Elves_warfare.jpg
133KB, 547x627px
Why is hatred for elves so common?
>>
Success breeds jealousy.
>>
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Elves are good at living a very, very long time.
>>
>>54429621
Mary Sue race who's flaws are being too perfect.
>>
Plenty of reasons
>>
>>54429698
>Working for a living?
>What are you, human?
>>
I generally find that both elf-hate and elf-love are hugely overblown on /tg/.
>>
>>54429675
Go read the fucking Silmarillion. Elves killing other elves over literal jewelry made because the elf in question was cucked by his own niece out of her hair.
>>
>>54429675
Only if the person writing them is an untalented hack.
>>
>>54429778
Or Tolkien.
>>
It's all false flagging by this guy.
>>
File: 1462646820057.png (901KB, 1024x1293px) Image search: [Google]
1462646820057.png
901KB, 1024x1293px
They are a plague that needs to be purged.
>>
>>54429761
This, can we please stop having these stupid meta elf threads? I'm probably one of the biggest, most flamboyant elf-faggots around here and I'm tired of daily elf shitposting bait threads that are probably just false-flagging.
>>
>>54429844
2nd.
>>
>>54429808
I wouldn't call hubris "being too perfect"
>>
>>54429861
>just false-flagging.
Naw elves are seriously the shiftiest race.
>>
>>54429621
HFY retards can't handle classic Tolkien elves being better than humans at pretty much everything.
>>
>>54429876
It's not really hubris, if you're a godlike and immortal.
>>
>>54429927
It is when you become a huge asshole and kill everything over a couple of rocks.
>>
>>54429621
Because they abduct us from our villages in the middle of the night and disappear in a flash of light before anyone can stop them! Even if we get someone back from the black eyed bastards they are never the same again! Always rambling on about the descending spirals and the insidious twisting of the world this and that...
>>
>>54430006
Don't forget Maeglin, Salgant, and most of Feanor's sons.
>>
>>54429621
Because nerds either:
>Love elves because they want to fantasize that they're attractive
>Hate elves because they remind them of the good looking popular kids in school.
>>
File: 52dd756788cceae3e041c9e744ca47bd.jpg (190KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
52dd756788cceae3e041c9e744ca47bd.jpg
190KB, 1280x1024px
>>54429698
>They're snobby hippies that think everyone else is an unrefined mongoloid.In short, they're the worst sort of Democrat.

wow, all of a sudden the fact that I relate to them makes perfect sense... thanks anon.

also piss-off you unrefined mongoloid
>>
>>54429777
The question was about elves in general, not elves in Silmarillion.
>>
File: Eldar_Warlock.jpg (233KB, 666x1260px) Image search: [Google]
Eldar_Warlock.jpg
233KB, 666x1260px
>>54429621
Warhammer elve/eldar are awesome though.
>>
>>54429621
They are spoiled pompous bastards that thing they are above everything, and they prevent us from choping wood. Chase them all back to underdark I say.
>>
>>54429698
Holy shit, THAT'S why I hate them so much.
>>
>>54430406
You're also a mincing fairy, so it's understandable you see elves as your kind of people.
>>
>>54429844
You know those are Orcs retard.
>>
>>54430556
Also on the list.
>>
>>54430556
I'm curious how you know.
Please enlighten me.
>>
>>54429621
They're often arrogant, self-righteous bastards that think every other race is so far below them that they have no purpose and can't do anything that matters.
>>
>>54429698
Yeah, this.

A lot of people see them as the intelligensia and hate them because they don't like being reminded of how wrong they are. It doesn't help that elves are associated with nature and stupid people have made it their life's work to destroy nature out of spite for the people smart enough to know that it has to be preserved.
>>
>>54430574
Fucking google the image. It's made by some guy on deviantart and it's about killing orcs. You can even tell by the image itself from the more nearly looking nails and darker skin tone which in a black and white picture, is suppose to be green.
>>
File: shadow-of-mordro.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
shadow-of-mordro.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
>>54430820
Not much of a difference really. Like >>54430571
said, they need to be purged.
>>
>>54430840
Okay. Just keep being retarded.
>>
>>54429621
Because they are horrible creatures in every possible way, with no redeeming qualities. Why else? It's like asking why more people don't eat literal shit more often. The answer is pretty obvious.
>>
File: He waited for a long time.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
He waited for a long time.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>54430634
This is why people hate you
>>
File: 1367546810976.jpg (42KB, 418x586px) Image search: [Google]
1367546810976.jpg
42KB, 418x586px
Because in the vast majority of settings, Elves cause all of the problems.

In Warcraft, they cause literally every problem- from the invasion of the Legion to the rise of the Silithids to the Undead Scourge. In Forgotten Realms, their infighting causes the very earth beneath your feet to become completely inhospitable. In 40k, they murderfucked Slaanesh into existence and damned everyone to deal with him.

And they STILL act like they're better than everyone else. In almost every goddamn setting, they are the root cause of a huge chunk of all the world's problems and not only do they refuse to take responsibility for it, they ACTIVELY BLAME OTHER RACES FOR FUCKING UP WHEN THEY DON'T KILL IT RIGHT.

In short, fuck Elves.
>>
>>54430917
I'd rather be hated for being correct than hated for being willfully ignorant.
>>
File: 1416129150863.png (28KB, 309x266px) Image search: [Google]
1416129150863.png
28KB, 309x266px
>>
File: minotaur and elves.jpg (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
minotaur and elves.jpg
1MB, 1440x900px
>>54429621
wood elves are cool

high elves a shit
>>
>>54431111
Rather be hated than be ethnically replaced.
>>
File: The Freeman.jpg (50KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
The Freeman.jpg
50KB, 640x478px
>>54431396
>>
>>54429621
It's a dichotomy and representative of the people who play tabletop rpgs.

On one excessively large hand, you have common people who are physically unattractive and their mental and spiritual states are rather poor, being full of rage at their lackluster lives. This is also why they're into fantasy because they just see it how they want to and use it as an outlet to express and at the same time reaffirm their prejudices.These people make up elf haters and dwarf fans.

On the other hand though, you have a minority of good people who play tabletop rpgs and delve into fantasy because they use it to help grow spiritually. These people also tend to be tall and good looking, henceforth they represent pro-elf people.

It's like a redpill vs a greenpill.
>>
>>54431631
>politics
Only less intelligent people bring up politics in fantasy stuff. It's one mark of a untermensch.
>>
To weigh in, now that things have taken a /pol/ turn, evidence is no longer relevant to either side, regardless of who is right or wrong. Indeed, its little more than a buzzword these days.

Fact is, all that matters, all that ever really mattered, is the total victory of one side over the other. There can be no middle ground, when you get right down to it.
>>
>>54432017
They act almost exactly the same while having different ideas on how things should work. That is: if one far side were to come into power, the results would, in theory, be almost the same as if the other side had won instead.
>>
Because i keep picking up elves i think are women but they always end up being dudes.
>>
>>54432126
>the universal solvent of Reason

How quaint. A solvent so universal it dissolves itself.
>>
File: Tintin.png (13KB, 164x148px) Image search: [Google]
Tintin.png
13KB, 164x148px
Their smug aura mocks me.
>>
>>54432126
I would not even say it was a good thing this came about. What that writer describes is nothing but a truce, a temporary cease fire that will inevitably flare up again. Except now, modern liberalism has replaced Protestantism as its successor
>>
>>54431944

Not him but are you saying that a "suggestion" some guy's book is a credible source?
>>
>>54429621
People not grasping that Tolkien Elves specifically AREN'T perfect, despite their superficial superiority, then creating annoying "Flawless" elves that are condescending as fuck to everyone else, while simultaneously being far worse due to the shitty writing of the work/player in question.

Shit like Eragon is a good example; it certainly didn't start it, but it did codify everything infuriating about Elf wankers.
>>
File: Cothique.png (2MB, 771x908px) Image search: [Google]
Cothique.png
2MB, 771x908px
They hate us cos' they ain't us.
>>
>>54432453
Eh, even when they recognize that elves aren't perfect, they cite that as more reasons to hate them as a concept. See >>54430998

Often they'll call elves 'too perfect' and bring this point about them being fuckups up in the same argument, unaware of how retarded that makes them sound.
>>
>>54432416
How are/were elves over saturated? I can only really think of Skyrim, the witcher and possibly dragon age where they show elves and even then they're not that great, just being sideshow Nazis or other something else unimportant.
>>
>>54429621
Around levels,watch yourself
Also fuck elves, smug pointy ears plague
>>
>>54432494
There's a difference between writer intent and the end product.
Warcraft is a great example there, because of pic related.
WC3 tells us that he's a dinosaur that can't move with the times, and dies for it.
World of Warcraft shows us that literally every word he said about orcs is true.

Elves are a similar case. We're often told that they can do no wrong, or as close to, but then shown the precise opposite.
Eragon is pretty much the defining work for this in action

You may want to reread the bottom bit of the post you cited. The "in almost every goddamn setting" part is certainly hyperbolic, but it's why you can both hate them for being presented as perfect and hate them for being complete and utter fuck ups. In short, writer incompetence.

HOWEVER, all that said, if the setting doesn't attempt to do either, there should be no issue outside the usual memes.
>>
File: kunkka-admiral-proudmore.jpg (96KB, 649x918px) Image search: [Google]
kunkka-admiral-proudmore.jpg
96KB, 649x918px
>>54432599
>because of pic related
well shit.
But you probably all knew who I was talking about anyway
>>
>>54432548

So why not link the study, since that's the actual source?
>>
>>54429777

>Go read the fucking Silmarillion

Simmer down grandpa, we can't afford your blood pressure meds
>>
>>54429778
Which happens far more often than not.
>>
>>54432599
By that logic, everything is writer incompetence.

Strong character loses? writer incompetence
youth stops being childish? Writer incompetence

Elves are hypocritical at best and fucking ruiner of everything at worst.

Dwarves don't get any flak because while being competent, they also don't stir shit up.
>>
>>54434555
>while being competent

Man, what dwarves are you thinking of?

>they also don't stir shit up

Again, this doesn't sound like any dwarves ever.

Dwarves are greedy, ill-tempered little shits who start wars over the most inane reasons, nurse grudges forever, and let their material desires lead them and others into destruction.
>>
Even the biggest Elven critics needed to show some respect after this scene (pic related). Unflinching discipline and precise coordination. Its surprising they ever lost a battle.

Elves are what every race hopes to be and a model of post consumption utopian societies.
>>
>>54434555
>Dwarves don't get any flak because while being competent, they also don't stir shit up.

They stir up all sorts of shit. I mean, the defining phrase for them is 'They dug too greedily and too deep'
>>
>>54429661
Oh man... that is why they are so chaotic. At some point in 400 years you will fuck up. You will acidentaly do something dumb like burn down a house or hit on your great grand niece. If your society is very rigid most elves would have to commit honerable suicide.

Ok new version of elves. Super tightly strung honerable society, with the only real cause of death being suicide. Society seeks war so elders can die in the field without first having to get drunk and run about town pantsless. This would be great.
>>
Gay
>>
>>54435186
>Everyone get in a line and do the exact same motion with your sword no matter what the enemy does in response!
>We'll be fucked it they just dodge the first swing, but it'll look SO COOL
>>
>>54435206
Yes, but when the f*ck up, they only ruin their own stuff. They are self-contained, and their problems are self-contained...

Barring that incident with the lake city and the dragon, but 4 armies were about to give them flack for it so it went hardly unpunished.
>>
People that hate elves generally hate them because of elf players. I've seen too many people who try to act superior OOC to others for picking elves, then get pissed when they aren't doing way better at everything than the guy who played a human. That combined with the general tendency of people to lean on nonhuman races to define their entire character is why I no longer run settings that have elves in them.
>>
>>54429621
They are something ugly betas will never become. Aka most of /tg/. They are chads.
>>
>>54435186
Dunno, I like elves (Well, Tolkien elves) and I hate that scene. Peter Jackson goes out of his way to dehumanize Tolkien's elves and turn them into this monolithic group of fey badasses as opposed to the diverse, fallible and ultimately very human and relatable people they are in the books.

I think the movies' portrayal of Elrond is what really cemented the image of elves as haughty, arrogant assholes in the minds of the wider public.
>>
>>54429647
Came here to post this.
>>
>>54436114
>implying they didn't all notice that none of the orcs were guarding low
>>
>>54429777
To be fair, the jewels were REALLY REALLY shiny.
>>
>>54429777

How do you think Feanor would react if he was told that Galadriel gave Gimli, a dwarf, three of her golden hairs when she refused to give him even one?
>>
>>54440259
>>
I was under the impression that a lot of it in /tg/ culture stemmed from the godawful complete book of elves from 2e or something along those lines.
>>
File: rage out the window.png (19KB, 381x400px) Image search: [Google]
rage out the window.png
19KB, 381x400px
>>54440259
Something along these lines.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.