[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dark Sea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: 1366309448524.jpg (86KB, 600x314px) Image search: [Google]
1366309448524.jpg
86KB, 600x314px
Hiya elegan/tg/entlemen, I'm designing an ocean-based setting for a novel. All major continents are irradiated to shit: only the open sea, and a few small islands, are inhabitable.

I could use some ideas for sea monsters, weather hazards, etc.

There exists an entire section of the ocean called the Dark Sea. Rumours of living ships, colossal anglerfish mimicking lighthouses, and coordinated swarms of sharks and whales abound.
>>
>>54429349
Are we talking more Wind Waker or Sunless Sea?
>>
>>54429365
Absolutely this before I'm contributing anything.
>>
File: 1366312561987.jpg (1MB, 1600x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1366312561987.jpg
1MB, 1600x2000px
>>54429365
...Sunless Sea, for sure. Nature's all kinds of fucked, mingling with the supernatural and Lovecraftian.
>>
>>54429349
>>54429427
I'm thinking giant whales spouting acid or something from their blowholes would be really fucking frightening for sailors.
>>
File: MA_00143526_mkecc0.jpg (196KB, 1920x1309px) Image search: [Google]
MA_00143526_mkecc0.jpg
196KB, 1920x1309px
>>54429427
There exists a giant ammonite bobbing about the surface with tendrils floating just under the surface, if a ship touches one they will grasp and swiftly drag the ship in to be devoured.
It's unnervingly intelligent however, and there's a old folk tale that if you are able to navigate the tendrils to approach the island-sized shell it will answer one question, perform one deed and take one life.

Basically just treat it as a dragon, with a dungeon of tendrils to pass while dealing with attacking parasites and other beasts that live on or around the colossal ammonite in it's own ecosystem.
>>
A stretch of water dotted with bloated, bobbing corpses. Seems depressing and macabre.

As the boat sails past, they quietly (and unnoticed at first) seem to snag onto the hull.

As more and more latch on to the ship, they slowly start to get heavier and heavier, dragging the boat down with them.
>>
Flying fish that jump in formation and glide a foot or so above the water. They shimmer with a metallic sheen and are generally beautiful and nimble. Their fins are razor sharp and they hunt low-flying birds, shredding them and landing back down to eat the remains.
>>
>>54429620
There's a sort of seaweed that will behave normally, except in the presence of any dead creature of size. Sailors generally appoximate the needed size to be larger than a hand's span.
If a corpse is nearby, it will immediately squirm and lash out to devour the flesh. Interestingly, the seaweed will never grow if not permitted to devour bodies such as research specimens, but will retain it's size as most plants do.

Occasionally, you can find a massive growth of this particular seaweed.
>>
>>54429667
I kinda love this.
>>
One day the sunrise is a massive eye, twisted in rage on the background of the sky. The entire crew sees it. As soon as everyone looks away at once it's back to normal.

The crew of the ship later discover they were the only ones to see it.
>>
Dead ships sail the currents, there's never any crew on board but the logs are kept up to date, the hourglass turned and the oil topped up.

Do not try to take a dead ship, it belongs to the dead. Do not try to take the cargo of a dead ship, it belongs to the dead. Do not try to sail on a dead ship.
>>
At the right season, it begins to rain blood - small pieces of flesh and sinew if it is especially heavy.

This blood rain is essential to farming, as it keeps the soil rich and fertile despite the radiation.
>>
Living holes in the sea floor. They move.
>>
File: aaa1.jpg (99KB, 700x378px) Image search: [Google]
aaa1.jpg
99KB, 700x378px
>>54429349
>ningen, a large white whalelike creature that's upper body vaguely resembles that of a human, its fins have somewhat handlike quality to them but its head does not carry any recognizable features beyond pair of large dark eyes and slitlike mouth
>qalupalik, a humanoid sea dwelling creature that captures children that are allowed to wander the shores unguarded
>>
File: antarctic_humanoid_6.jpg (108KB, 468x351px) Image search: [Google]
antarctic_humanoid_6.jpg
108KB, 468x351px
>>54430173
>>
>>54429349
Cursed Castaways, singular sailors in longboats, starved and half mad from the heat and the solitude, they're desperate to be picked up by any ship.

Picking them up is bad luck, ships never survive for long after.
>>
Drinking the seawater from a certain region, will drive a man mad with thirst. Drying them out from the inside, all they can think about is quenching an unending thirst, until they eventually turn brittle and dry, shattering in the wind.
>>
File: 1366312062558.jpg (110KB, 1025x638px) Image search: [Google]
1366312062558.jpg
110KB, 1025x638px
>>54430355
Isn't that what happens if you drink any seawater?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.