[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mtg Lore thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 13

File: cardart_HOU_Endless-Sands.jpg (33KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
cardart_HOU_Endless-Sands.jpg
33KB, 850x500px
"Samut goes to theros and has a tantrum" edition
>>
Phyrexia cannot come back soon enough
>>
>>54427170
How bad do you think wizards can fuck it up, lore and gameplay wise? Im hoping the set is pretty powerful when it comes around.
>>
>>54427206
If Garfield does it it should be fine.
>>
Is this going to be an actual lore thread or is this going to be another muh we waz kangz degenerate whine thread like yesterday?
>>
>>54427206
Dominaria is coming back, surprisingly it's not all Slivers, it's barely any Slivers at all, it's mostly just fags and dinosaurs.
>>
>>54427257
Ixalan is not the dominaria set
>>
File: 1339082977112.jpg (24KB, 380x368px) Image search: [Google]
1339082977112.jpg
24KB, 380x368px
>>54427206
>>54427170
>Gatewatch is gone
>Phyrexia begins to expand unopposed
>Return to Theros ends in a Phyrexian invasion and the plane being compleated
>>
>>54427372
I'm ready for "Legendary artifact enchantment creature - Praetor God"
>>
>>54427433
Make it 5 color and we're set
>>
>>54427433
Legendary artifact enchantment creature planeswalker
>>
>>54427477
make it 5 color in Phyrexian mana

And it can Transform
>>
>>54427433
>Artifact

Phyrexians for the most part have never been artifacts
>>
>>54427170
It should be the next Conspiracy set.
>>
>>54427137
>Narset sparks but doesn't go anywhere because books
>Samut sparks but goes immediately back because muh goddess
>Nissa sparks, does a retcon and goes immediately home because muh plane
why does wotc keep making planeswalkers that don't fucking planeswalk? what's the goddamn point?
>>
>>54427833
Because Phyrexia is going to bring the party to them.
>>
>>54427833

Because they're making Planeswalkers backwards. They need to either:

A) Introduce new walkers that are on the current plane because it was their first jump or something. Make it do they jumped and have either adapted to their new plane or are working on it. They can make them special by making them stand out just enough.

B) Have this special character they want to make a Walker just fucking leave right at a critical moment. Imagine how much better the story would have been if Samut was just gone with everyone just sort of standing there, and she doesn't just return instantly.

Honestly, I'm just sick of there always needing to be a new Walker from wherever we are. The whole point of walkers is that THEY CAN BE USED ON ANY PLANE. We have like 40 Planeswalkers that we could explore, but instead we keep getting new ones we'll never see again. What if we replaced Samut with Narset? She could have literally done everything plot related that Samut did.
>>
>>54427544
The transformed side has the Kamigawa flip mechanic.
>>
>>54428127
Nono, the front side is a Kamigawa flip.
The back side is a meld.
>>
'HOL UP
>>
>>54427833
Except none of them is an explorer. None of them has a purpose jumping from place to place. Dack does, as a thief. Kiora does, dealing with her want for bigger summons and more power apparently. As does everyone in Tamiyo's circle(I swear they're the ones in story making the Planeswalker's guides). You're just not going to see an explorer Planeswalker pop up in every single set. The closest we've seen to that lately was Jace on Innistrad.

I hope we see Domri or some other newbie who just wants to explore the planes, but that kind of meandering exploration isn't in the cards. It's in the artbooks.
>>
File: 1432168006789.png (5MB, 1769x6104px) Image search: [Google]
1432168006789.png
5MB, 1769x6104px
Did someone every update this?
>>
>>54428080
Know what would be smart? Have new walkers who are from a future set. Could you imagine having an Ixilan walker hanging out with Kari Zev? Or Sharkan running into an Amonkhet walker still loyal to the God- Pharaoh while doing his thing in Tarkir?
>>
>>54428343
*smacks lips
>>
>>54428548
What needs updating? Sorrin got stoned, Nahiri turned out to be a psyco bitch, Samut joins Domri in the 'Why do you exist' tier, Tamiyo turned out to know about both Eldrazi and moons, and did the Milf-wolf do anything or she another G/R walker who was just kinda there?
>>
>>54428548
Replace "Should have listened to Sorin" tier with "Trying to make as many bad decisions as Urza" tier
>>
>>54428300
>the other meld is an instant that only melds into the mega creature if you manage to exile the spell and recast the card from exile
>>
>>54428678
Obby needs to be upgraded out of shit tier. I'd put him in bro tier, but he's at least ok teir after wreaking the gatewatch's shit the way he did.
>>
>>54427170
>>54427206
Could they do a non-canon "What if" set where they show what would happen if oil was placed on certain planes? The cards would show how the oil proliferates and how the plane reacts to the problem.

>>54427833
If you were suddenly flung to the middle of somewhere, the first thing you would probably do is find out if you can get back and not catch too many details of the place.
Besides, there may be business one needs to attend.

>>54428548
>Koth
>not Bro-tier
>same level as Chandra

>Jace
>God-tier

>Tamiyo
>Shit-tier

Elaborate.
>>
>>54429348
>Could they do a non-canon "What if" set
I'd love that. Doesn't even have to involve Phyrexia. You could do things like "What if the Eldrazi landed in Ravnica" or "What if Yawgmoth actually won"
>>
>>54429348
>Koth
Maybe they didn't like that garbage Phyrexia book and Koth isn't written well?

>Jace
Only nuwalker with a cannon and decent book as appose to ensomble web blogs or discontinued web/paper comics.

>Tamiyo
Maybe this was done before we had anything other than, "I showed up in Innistrad and studied a moon"?

My guesses.
>>
>>54429560
>>54429348
>Tamiyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaCMpiOhzps
>>
>>54427137
>gains planeswalking powers
>"GOTTA GO BACK GOTTA GO BACK GOTTA GO BACK GOTTA GO BACK GOTTA GO BACK"
ugh again?

>>54428548
>Dack 2nd best thief in the multiverse
Who's #1?
>>
>>54429762
Kiora for stealing Thassa's bident, presumably.
>>
>>54429348
>>54429399
This is one of the best ideas I've heard in years, actually.
>>
>>54429814
didnt they do that with fate reforged? Taking everyones favorite tarkirr tribes and turning them into 2 color boring dragon worshiping tribes

and a living ugin, that didnt help with the eldrazi, or bolas
>>
>>54429992
DTK actually, FRF was a look at the past of the Khans when dragons were around
>>
>>54430009
thanks Poindexter

point still stands with time travel is just another way to express another reality, the whole different yet same.
>>
>>54429399
So, a non-canon Time Spiral?
>>
>>54427206
A proud, independent phyrexian of color who doesn't need no man
>>
>>54427206
Phyrexia will basically be Tyranids but colored and slivers.
>>
>>54428548
>Domri
>Daretti
>Tezz
>Freyalise
All Gold.

That Tier List off base though. No base Gatewatchers should be above OK tier.

>>54427833
This is just good ol' hubris
>Be given the power to see the vast realities beyond your own
>Waste it dying to defend something that will just be destroyed in a few millenia anyway

All the return home ones are small minded and can't conceive a world beyond their own little corner that could be better. It's just like those kids from highschool who stayed in their home towns and never did anything but thought they'd found everything.
>>
>>54430151
>a proud, colorless woman who don't need no mana
>exalted
>only mana symbols are colorless Phyrexian mana
>spoopy waifu like Norn or Sheoldred

Please Wizards! I'll keep buying your dumb underpowered cards if you do his one thing for me.
>>
>>54429399
Eldrazi versus Phyrexia?
>>
>>54430465
That'd be cool.

Phyrexia confirmed to win that fight
>>
>>54429399
>A non canon set where Mishra wins the Brother's War
>>
>>54429399
Any they don't need to justify the cards. Alternate realities existed in Time Spiral, and the first two Tarkir sets are "nonexistent" because the time travel, so fuck it. Give us fun!
>>
>>54430673
Just Khans.
Fate Reforged still happened since that was the 'here's what's going on right before Ugin bites it' set
>>
>>54429399
>what is future sight
>>
>>54427257
W-What?
>>
Is Elspeth stuck on Theros as a returned, or can she still planeswalk?
>>
>>54427137
I was under the impression someone had to almost die for their spark to ignite, am i wrong?
>>
>>54428080
>Honestly, I'm just sick of there always needing to be a new Walker from wherever we are. The whole point of walkers is that THEY CAN BE USED ON ANY PLANE. We have like 40 Planeswalkers that we could explore, but instead we keep getting new ones we'll never see again. What if we replaced Samut with Narset? She could have literally done everything plot related that Samut did.

This, but unfortunately we're on the minority. I guess this magical thing WotC has called "Market Research" says we need new planeswalkers every set. Besides, MTG lore is not character driven, it's setting driven so I guess it works? I dunno, we'll see now that the Jacetice League is no more.
>>
>>54431821

I think he's confusing Ixalan, which is the next block, with Dominaria which will be the set after Rivals of Ixalan, and also the first set in the new Set format which is 4 big sets a year, no more small sets.

Dominaria will probably focus on Liliana given she's one of two current Planeswalkers from there if you include Bolas.
>>
>>54431920
yes. it's always been about a heightened emotional state. pain is one way. bliss is another.

iirc sarkhan sparked off of the high of killing an enemy commander in battle.
>>
>>54431970
>4 big sets a year

No more blocks? So one year each set could be a different plane and the next year is a 4 set long adventure for a single plane?
>>
>>54432025
while channeling a dragon ghost
>>
>>54432025
>>54432090
So sarkhan had a killing orgasm while a dragon host penetrated his soul? Thats hot
>>
>>54431920
The spark ignites during any moment of heightened and extreme emotions. Severe trauma and life-threatening injuries are just the most common variety.
>>
>>54432055

No blocks of now. I should also mention one of those sets will be a Core Set, where reprints will be focused.
>>
>>54432055
Mostly correct (since one set's a core set), but they could well stay on a plane past said core set if for whatever reason they felt like doing so.
I'm guessing we'll mostly see a single set plane and one two set plane between each core set, with the occasional three-plane being next most common and the three-set plane being the rarest.
>>
File: 1499298964531.png (242KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
1499298964531.png
242KB, 333x500px
I want to speak Phyrexian.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o7ixdHQj3O4
>>
>>54427137
>samut
You mean "nuMTG lore thread." This thread has nothing to do with the actual good lore, which is understandable since none has been printed for more than a decade.

>>54427170
Phyrexia is never coming back.

Unless you mean nuPhyrexia, which is an embarrassment to the name and should stay gone forever.
>>
>>54434000
>Unless you mean nuPhyrexia, which is an embarrassment to the name and should stay gone forever.

Jesus Christ, anon.
>>
>>54434000
Nu Phyrexia is fine. At least there was SOME lore, and the whole philosophical approach to the colours/fractions was masterful compared to what we get now. I also appreciate the updated edgelord robot thing they have going on. It's neat and elesh norn is a cute. A cute I tell you!
>>
>>54428588
>Time Spiral was one of the most acclaimed blocks ever
>WOTC refuses to ever do that format ever again because they hate money
>>
>>54433951
Literally meant to be unspeakable by vocal cords
>>
File: 1499002256074.jpg (92KB, 430x342px) Image search: [Google]
1499002256074.jpg
92KB, 430x342px
>>54434467

>yfw Gix returns and becomes the new Father of Machines
>>
>>54433951
That's not Yawgmoth.
>>
>>54435107
You're right.

The Raven Man is.
>>
>>54434955
I fucking wish.
>>
nahiri did nothing wrong and sorin dropped her in a cell full of demons for no reason
>>
>>54437083
While she was a bit irrational, emotional and prone to violence, Sorin was still in the wrong by refusing to even apologize for not assisting with the defense of Zendikar. Then when she lashed at him, his response was the 'mercy' of imprisoning her in the Helvault for as long as it would exist.

Everything that happened after she emerged from the Helvault was her own goddamn fault and makes her the worse person out of the two of them by far though.
>>
>>54437190
She's gone fully off the deep end but it's all Sorin's fault. I hope Sorin puts her down like he put down Avacyn and feels like total shit for the rest of his immortal life for being the reason his creation and his pupil went insane. This whole situation never happens if he goes to Zendikar for 24 hours.
>>
File: 1498212361250.jpg (30KB, 451x451px) Image search: [Google]
1498212361250.jpg
30KB, 451x451px
>>54437190
They were both jerks which is what made soi story so fun for me. A horrible person doing awful things to another horrible person. And the awful thing being unleashing the biggest motherfucker in the multiverse right in front of Sorin's doorstep.
>>
>>54431887
You cant planeswalk when you die because soul becomes seperated from body, and the spark lies in the soul. We know this is still the case on theros as since eidolons are wandering souls and bodies are shipped to the underworld. So no, she cant walk. I also believe the underworld on Theros has additional planeswalking safeguards to prevent it, though I may just be thinking of Nyx.
>>
>>54434824
Except they're not doing it again because they LOST money on it.
As great as it was, it was objectively bad for them in the way that matters the most - financially. Doesn't matter that it played great and that everyone who wasn't brand new loved it to pieces (and even some of the people who WERE brand new), the fact that newbies and casuals were confused as shit hurt their bottom line enough to be a noticeable drop in profits - and you DON'T want that to ever happen when Big Brother Hasbro is always looking over your shoulder and only cares about cold hard cash.
>>
>>54437990
Eidolons only happen when someone puts on their mask to become a Returned - soul and body stay together until then in the Underworld in Theros. And yes, like Nyx one can't planeswalk to or from the Underworld because of how it's situated.
>>54431887
She's currently not a Returned. She made a mask, but she didn't put it on - instead staying in the Underworld.
>>
File: 1381190286475.jpg (54KB, 485x410px) Image search: [Google]
1381190286475.jpg
54KB, 485x410px
>>54437083
>>54437190
>>54437648
Hey douchebags, Nahiri didn't create Emrakul, just merely pulled her away from zendikar. Just because Emrakul decided to fuck up sorin's little man cave instead of zendikar doesn't make Nahiri evil.
>>
>>54439434
>Just because Emrakul decided to fuck up sorin's little man cave instead of zendikar doesn't make Nahiri evil.
>Implying that Nahiri deliberately pulling an eldritch horror she knew would destroy his plane and more doesn't make her evil
You're a fucking faggot. If you want to fellate Nahiri, go ahead, but don't try and lie to everyone about it.
>>
>>54439529
Emrakul is gonna fuck up everything she sees and when she finishes, is gonna move on to the next plane. Nahiri made the tactical decision to save her plane and get a little justice at the same time. Just because you want to suck sorin's 3 incher doesn't make Nahiri evil.
>>
>>54429762
>Gotta get back! Back to the past!
Samut-rai Jack!
>>
>>54430606
Was Mishra a planeswalker like Urza, or was this before either of them sparked?
>>
>>54428080
>how much better the story would have been if Samut was just gone
full stop
>>
>>54439637
Mishra was corrupted into a phyrexian, and Urza was forced to kill him before Urza sparked himself.
t. person who just finished the book, shit was cash yo
>>
>>54434000
Hating New Phyrexia is the line between being a grognard and a connoisseur of an MTG lore.
>>
>>54439540
When you're ready to actually debate this, let me know. Zendikar was already saved by the time of Shadows, so your argument is invalid. Besides, you're the last person who should be arguing about dicks when Nahiri can craft the strongest dildo in the multiverse and fuck you with it. Faggot.
>>
>>54439740
>Zendikar was already saved by the time of Shadows
Did you even read the story? Nahiri escaped the vault and saw the eldrazi rampaging before Shadows started, and started pulling Emrakul away long before gideon and the girls saved zendikar. It's even likely that her pulling emmy away from zendikar is what allowed the planeswalkers to be able to save zendikar since they only had to deal with 2 titans instead of three.
>>
>>54439772
Even then two titans required a insane plane to beat because Kozilek litereally hid in Sea Gate for the longest time before bursting Ulamog out. They probably did think that Emmy was possibly present because they said that Emrakul hasn't been seen for months.
>>
>>54439873
It doesn't matter what they think, it matters what they can handle. They were barely able to handle two titans, if emmy had been there they would have been fucked. Let's be fair here, they should have been fucked anyway since wotc sucks at writing nowadays.

Either way, Nahiri actually saved zendikar and even managed to make innistrad more interesting since a john carpenter movie is much more interesting then night of the living dead reruns.
>>
>>54439953
They weren't able to deal with emmy on innistrad as well Until Emrakul wised up, and even then Emrakul is able to talk directly to Nissa to lead her to the tentacle side.

The titans were only defeated because the Plane was alive, mana filled, and able to use the mana to destroy them.
>>
>>54440026
And if Emmy was on zendikar with no moon to seal her, zendikar would have been destroyed.

Nahiri saved zendikar.
>>
>>54427137
How come we have magic lore threads and no magic anti-lore threads?
>>
>>54427206
Lorewise they'll fail by focusing too much on the Gatewatch. Rather than getting to witness the weirdness of the New Phyrexja we'll have to sit through Jace and buddies liberating the Vulshok. It won't have the potential of being a cool story that explores new territory like the old ones did either. No separating Vulshok territories from Phyrexia and melding it with another plane. No bringing the Vulshok to a foreign plane to let them build a new society. No, because this is the new age of storytelling where everything has to be neatly tied up by the end of the block and planes need to be separated from one another so that people aren't confused.

Fucking horseshoe really. Fuck the Creative team. I hope they all die in a ditch.
>>
>>54427705
Even if we ignore the fluff and all the old artifacts named Phyrexian something, New Phyrexia says hi.
>>
>>54428588
That would require the Creative Team to actually put in effort to their work and is therefore out of the question.
>>
>>54427170
It won't. Phyrexia, Yawgmoth, and that entire story arc came close to killing the entire game, to the point where Maro is still eternally salty and bitchy about how Hasbro/Wizards literally brought somebody else in to fix all his rampant masturbation over it and close it out ASAP so they'd save the story. The Phyrexiafags need to get it through their heads that Phyrexia is over and done. Finished. Salivating at nuPhyrexia is just going to lead them to tears of bitter moaning and bitchy disappointment. Not that I'd mind laughing at them normally, but it shits up threads harder than /pol/.
>>
>>54440401
Right now tumblr is shitting up threads about as hard, if not worse than, /pol/ by constantly complaining about /pol/. It's like the clash of the autists was going on right here.
>>
File: 1492869532438.png (78KB, 238x213px) Image search: [Google]
1492869532438.png
78KB, 238x213px
>>54427477
>phyrexians meld all the gods in one omnipotent, omniscent deity-weapon that can rival oldwalkers in power
>>
>>54427237
Discussing the lore in a way you don't like is still discussing the lore you whiny little bitch boy.
>>
>>54440924
Lore is more of a /lit/ topic though.
>>
>>54427137

So what the hell has been happening with MTG lore? I got out after Tarkir. Decided it just wasn't worth the money and time to keep up with the game anymore and haven't looked back since (much). What's been happening?
>>
>>54427372
>Phyrexians invading Theros
>And actually winning
Funny joke. You remember who's on Theros, right? There's no way they'd avoid that kind of asspull.
>>
>>54441255
All sorts of faggotry. At least it looks like they learned a lesson and are slighlty setting back
>>
>>54441255
Jace and the other poster children banded together to create the Jacetice League, a name so true that it fills Maro with burning hot rage every time he hears it, in an attempt to lay the foundation of the MtG movie.

Meanwhile, Sorin was locked in a rock by his waifu, who he had been desperately searching for despite knowing exactly where she were, in a scheme that only worked because Creative happened to forget that he's a planeswalker and that they had been demonstrated to have exactly that power earlier in the same storyline.

Oh, and she also released Emrakul on Innistrad. No worries though, Liliana was there and the eldritch horror from beyond reality was no match for her zombie armada. The Jacetice League decided that she was kinda cool and could come along if she wanted.

So they went to Kaladesh to help out in the most non-violent revolution imaginable. There they met Ajani who they decided was also kinda cool so he was also allowed to join. Ajani accepted but would only after learn that their next plan was fucking retarded so he immediately went off to do his own thing and let them invade Bolas' personal vacation plane on their own.
>>
>>54441349
Depressingly accurate.
>>
>>54437808
>They were both jerks, both horrible
Except Sorin never perpetrated the genocide of an entire plane - that lays at Nissa's feet - and him jamming Nahiri in the Helvault was self-defense after she was a crazy-ass bitch.

It's like the guy who 'forgot' his wallet when you're all coughing up money for the pizza during DnD vs Magical Stalin.
>>
>>54441856
>Sorin dindu nuffin
Go to bed, Chandere.
>>
>>54440401
Wasnt around back then. How did it almost kill the game? I was under the impression that Scars of Mirrodin block was well recieved and liked
>>
>>54441282
>You remember who's on Theros, right?
You mean the person whose been fucked by Phyrexia twice now?
>>
>>54440481
>oh we also found this artifact thing called a "legacy weapon" and stuck it in there somewhere as well
>>
>>54439655
He only assumed Mishra has been morphed, when he was actually just totally replaced.
Yawgmoth had been tormenting him in one of the rings like he was fucking Lucifer chewing on Brutus.
>>
>>54443391
Legacy weapon was a one-pump chump.
It's now missing at least two vital pieces, Karn and Urza('s spark which is now conveniently located in Karn).
>>
>>54441707
There is at least one part of that post that is literally, factually false, so it cant be that accurate. But I think the part that upsets me the most is no on gave enough of a shit to point it out.
>>
File: 1342706539273.gif (903KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1342706539273.gif
903KB, 400x300px
>>54443122
>>54441282
>Wizards brings Elspeth back just so they can make her suffer even more
>>
>>54437990
You can't planeswalk in or out of Nyx, so Elspeth is stuck because she can't physically leave either without losing her soul.
>>
>>54441255
>Magic Origins is pretty much all the origin stories for what was going to be the main 5 walkers (The Gatewatch) until they start to pull the reins on it because even Reddit was getting sick of it.
>Battle of Zendikar is about killing the first two eldrazi by channeling the mana heavy plane, and the creation of the Gatewatch (GW) who are pretty much the Planewalking Superhero team
>Shadows of Innistrad has jae wantingto see where's liliana, but then wants to look into other shit going on.
>In elderitch moon, turns out it's Emrakul, the last titan, also jace finds tamyio.
>They try to stop emrakul but it was useless thanks to the fact that 1. Can't kill it like the last time because Innistrad is not the best plane to channel in and 2. Emrakul is just overall powerful
>Tamiyo uses her "forbidden scroll" to stop emrakul and it work, but it turns out she was being mind controlled by emrakul who wised up to Nahiri who sent her (yes emmy is a her) to the plane after seeing the aftermath of zendilkar. Jace questions if they really "won"
>Kaladesh is to see chandras hometown and for the gatewatch to "protect" the fair
>Before leaving, Jace learns from Ral Zerek that there's now a way to track Planeswalkers in and out of Ravica, but Vraska seems to have Planeswalked into an unknown plane (Which is probably Ixlan)
>Turns out the leaders, the consoulte are assholes, also Tezzeret is the for a reason.
>Later the consoulte seizes all the artifacts, including a Planar Bridge
>With the help of the gatewatch (and also a surprise Ajani), Chandra and Gideon team up on a suicide Thoper to blow the bridge up
>The Rebels won and Dovin Baan (PW who wanted the Gatewatch there) fucks off.
>They find out that there's a Plane being controlled by Nicol Bolas called Amonket
>Ajani wants to goto dominaria and plan, but the GW leave him thinking that whatever time they can use to plan Bolas can use the time better.
>>
File: 1436340125630.png (66KB, 450x336px) Image search: [Google]
1436340125630.png
66KB, 450x336px
>>54441349
>Meanwhile, Sorin was locked in a rock by his waifu, who he had been desperately searching for despite knowing exactly where she were
I don't get this part; the one time Nahiri comes up in Tarkir block, it's made clear Sorin knows exactly where she is and doesn't want to tell Ugin about it.
>>
>Turns out it's a trial things in ONE singular city surronded by evil shit in the sand to get people who will die.
>Also turns out that Amonket was mutple citees, but bolas just brainwashed the gods and left only one standing
>Now Bolas comes to claim his undead army
Story ends here but its implied that Jace loses his memory and gotos Ixlan, everyone else gets screwed up badly, and Nissa might stay on Amonket

ALSO
>A ghost assassian kills Brago causing Marchesa to prevail
>Golgari bug uprising soon(?)
>DINOSAURS
>>
>>54445266
You dont know what he means becauss its a reference to a line in The Teeth of Akoum that no one really gives a shit about so wizards felt it was okay to retcon. Sorin says something like he is unsure of whats become of the Lithomancer when he went to Zendikar during ZEN block. Its a very tiny detail.
>>
>>54445278
Naktamun was the only habitable city even before Bolas iirc, Hekma and all was already there.
>>
>>54445419
iirc they said that there were a lot more cities out there and all the evil stuff was just the remains
>>
>>54445079
At this point Elspeth suffering is someone at WotC's fetish. And I'm totally okay with that.
>>
>>54445390
Couldn't he just have been trying to bullshit Nissa? Sorin's not exactly the most honest of people.
>>
>>54427237
have kangz lore => have kangz lore threads. it's that simple.
>>
>>54445453
Eh, no, we have no reason to believe that. Many details were lost or ignored starting around Tarkir due to them wanting to reign in the story and set things in stone. This is just one of many, and a lot smaller than some others like Chandra's origins.
>>54445434
There are lots of ruins, but they were there pre Bolas.
>>
>>54444941
The fact that it's as close as it is should be indictment enough of the current lore.
>>
What's the Theros underworld going to do to Elspeth? Is she going to be corrupted or lose her memory in some way?
>>
File: file.png (710KB, 517x926px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
710KB, 517x926px
>>54445669
>>
>>54427817
>multiplayer draft
>conspiracies
>set on new phyrexia and all about infighting between the praetors
>the mandatory planeswalkers are just some schmucks who stumbled into the plane and can happily flee or die without impact.

it's perfect, too bad it will never happen.
>>
Does Thalia swallow?
>>
>>54433951
Best magic trailer ever incoming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdDXMG9jvwg
>>
>>54445278
>>54445419
>>54445564
>The gods of Amonkhet saw the dragon hovering outside the protection of the Hekma. They climbed to the tops of their highest vantage points and armed themselves for battle. They were determined not to fail this time. No monster could defeat the eight gods of Amonkhet. Not when Naktamun was all that remained.
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/hour-revelation-2017-06-07

I think this is a very important detail, it wasn't the first try of Bolas taking over and Naktamun wasn't the only city. The thing is that the Curse of Wandering it was already there.
>>
File: wotc creative department.png (984KB, 861x715px) Image search: [Google]
wotc creative department.png
984KB, 861x715px
>>54444941
>no on gave enough of a shit
This described the creative team perfectly.
>>
>>54446625
I was thinking it was an important details too which is why I bothered to correct it though I can't explain why, though I'm pretty certain the ruins weren't because of another Bolas attack, just some other horrible thing the gods failed at fighting off. Amonkhet was already kind of a shit heap of a world even before Bolas.
>>
>>54440070
What would an anti-lore thread consist of?
>>
>>54443391
>>54444202
...the Legacy Weapon is PART of Karn and has been since the bullshit that left him a planeswalker the first time around.
Thus his -3.
>>
>>54447838
This

It doesn't specify that Bolas tried to attack in the past, just that some other extraplanar threat once bested them.
>>
>>54441349
You're really unpleasant.

>Liliana was there and the eldritch horror from beyond reality was no match for her zombie armada.

Do you even read? That's not what happened.
>>
>>54446625
>>54447838
On the other hand, the ruins outside the city had the Bolas horns marked with the word trespasser.
Could be that there were a few cities left with Naktamun being the main one, and shit was in the process of collapsing due to something else happening, and Bolas just finished wiping out the other cities because he didn't need them.
>>
>>54445564
>Eh, no, we have no reason to believe that

wut.
>>
>>54445669
Only if she puts on the golden mask to become a Returned. Which will also make her not a planeswalker.
>>
>>54448316
No, instead we got Emrakul sealing herself away because it was all part of her master plan, they definitely weren't just giving themselves an out because they'd written themselves into a corner.
>>
>>54450298
And yet, that was the best part of the entire block.
Likely due to a combination of it being unexpected (what with everything pointing to them just winning via FRIENDSHIP again) and them putting their best writer on that story.
>>
>>54450383
I feel like that really says it all about the quality of the writing. I'll say I did appreciate Jace taking a moment to reflect on the fact that he's a total faggot, though.
>>
>>54450447
The Eldrazi are beyond our mortal comprehension. I'm still waiting for what the consequences are for killing the other titans
>>
>>54452720
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I never appreciate being told "No, you totally wouldn't get it" as a rationale for why a character does something. I get that they're supposed to be incomprehensible and Lovecraftian and shit, but the writers have a bad habit of creating situations and then letting circumstances solve them, as opposed to something interesting like the heroes displaying might or guile, and to me that's all the ending of Eldritch Moon was. Emrakul was all-powerful and unstoppable, so she had to essentially forfeit because otherwise the Gatewatch loses. If I don't have to wait several years for the consequences of this, it might salve the wound a bit, but I don't think I'll ever be impressed with it. If it is the case that the Eldrazi are just that monstrous and unbelievable, well... to be quite honest that's just not all that interesting to me. The central premise of Lovecraft's horror was that we were insignificant gnats in an uncaring universe, and the Eldrazi really don't have that vibe. In fact, to be quite honest, I don't really find the Eldrazi all that threatening at all. They're diet cosmic beings at best.

Then again, though, what the fuck am I complaining about? With how they write what we're supposed to believe are multifaceted mortals, I should welcome the next surge of faceless behemoths.
>>
>>54452720
>The Eldrazi are beyond our mortal comprehension
Just wait until the block where Emrakul returns and the reason is explained as something completely within our mortal comprehension. "They're beyond your comprehension, you wouldn't understand" is always a fucking hack excuse for shit writers so they don't have figure everything out right away.
>>
>>54453089
>he central premise of Lovecraft's horror was that we were insignificant gnats in an uncaring universe, and the Eldrazi really don't have that vibe.
They did had that vibe in the original RoE story but as usual throwing in Jacetice league made things shit
>>
>>54453089
>>54453679
Hell, they're pretty comprehensible just with what we've been given.
Unless Wizards decides to change things (again), the Eldrazi are a planar recycling method - Ulamog breaks the current plane down, Kozilek takes what Ulamog broke down and reshapes it into something usable, Emrakul takes that raw material and turns it into a brand new plane, complete with planar denizens.
But when it's out of order, shit goes crazy. Kozilek isn't supposed to show up until Ulamog is done, but Ob forced him to be around anyways - Zendikar was wasted enough that he could start, though.
Emrakul specifically stated that Innistrad was wrong and she shouldn't be there.
>>
>>54453918
>Emrakul specifically stated that Innistrad was wrong and she shouldn't be there.
See that'd have been great, but that justification still feels weak to me because why didn't she just immediately go "Oh fuck, TOO SOON" and lock herself in the great big box in the sky or just not destroy anything, you know... instead of creating a giant mob of The Things, ravaging the countryside, nearly defeating the heroes, cheating in a game of chess, and then going "Oh fuck, TOO SOON." Besides the fact that then Wizards wouldn't have been able to make a lackluster body horror-themed set.
>>
>>54454087
Because a giant mob of The Things is, apparently, just what sort of happens in the general vicinity of Emrakul. And she DID need to use Tamiyo's scroll to do the moonsealing, she couldn't just poke it and put herself in there.
And yes, this kind of stuff should've happened on Zendikar too, if that's how Emrakul is, but they kind of retconned both Emrakul and Kozilek for all of this anyways, so they're just hoping we don't look at the Emrakul-sized hole in this plot.
>>
>>54454232
I can't help but notice that they rely on us ignoring plot holes and retcons more and more.
>>
>>54454087
>>54453915
>>54453679
Imagine Emrakul just leaving. The whole 'ravage the countryside with the insane cults, eating the mana, the whole desperate effort to seal her in the moon lolfizzles and then she simply leaves, no explanation given.

If you want to have a cake (bodyhorror Innistrad) and eat it too (save Innistrad), that got to be the better solution, right?
>>
>>54453089
I'm not a fan of the reasoning either, but if they were written well it's justifiable. However, the Jacetice league accomplished what three oldwalkers could not, and killed titans. The only reedemable factor is for the consequences of their actions come to light and admit, "oh shit we should have listened to Ugin/Sorin"
>>
>>54445979
Not as good as
>>54433951
>>
>>54454977
To be fair, said oldwalkers COULD have done so, but one who knew how to do it didn't tell the two who wanted to do so that it was possible or how to do so, and instead convinced them they couldn't without explicitly saying so (just so that in case they found out later, he could say he wasn't lying)
>>
>>54454683
I was ambivalent to the whole body horror Innistrad, I'm not asking for any cake here. Now if they'd started off with Emrakul hitting Jace up like "Shit's whack yo, these people are getting all fucked and I'm not supposed to be doing this" and the entire plot was the gang collaborating in an attempt to stymie her powers with her open approval or something, maybe it wouldn't have felt like they were pulling it out of their asses.
>>
>>54453918
>>54454087
>>54454683
>tfw your plane is so awful to live in that even a giant cosmic horror feels bad for making it worse and fucks off
>>
>>54446625
Nothing here says Bolas had attacked before.
>>
>>54456020
>They were determined to fail this time.
>this time
>>
>>54456080
Not specific to Bolas.

Something else lurks beyond.
>>
>>54456080
I know what you meant, but now I'm just picturing the Gods of Amonkhet sighing as Bolas blasts spells at them from afar ineffectually.

>"Guys... he's not going to stop until we crown him pharaoh."
>"I'd rather die than keep this up, fine."
>>
Can someone start a petition to ensure every card printed in the last three years with the word Gatewatch (or any member thereof) in the flavor text gets reprinted at least once in the coming core sets with a new text? They can keep the fucking terrible art if they want to but this is the goddamn ads sticking their fingers in our cardgame. Fuck marketers.

>pic related for on hand bad text and bad art
>>
I love how flavorful the new Eldrazi are. They're fucking bonkers good. I can't wait until Slivers get the same treatment.
>>
>>54454683
Can't have stories with no resolution to them when the entire of them is so that Hollywood can make movies based on them.
>>
>>54456419
>"Look, I'm telling you Gids, this is Bolas's house. There has GOT to be some fine dragon bitches here somewhere."
>-Jace Beleren
>>
>>54454445
Thats because r3cently theyve been going full force into taking control of the lore personally whereas before it was a scattered mish mash by many write. Under such circumstances, things are going to have to be changed or ignored to get things where they want it, no matter who was writing.
>>
>>54458183
There's also the simple fact that the creative team is strained.
You can tell from how the worlds, the art, and most importantly the flavor text has come out since the two-block model started - they're doing two worlds a year at the moment, which need writeups and styleguides and all that, plus art direction and flavor text and now they're handling the stories as well, and they've added...maybe one or two people to the creative team since this started. Before, they only had to deal with one world to concept, and weren't writing Official Magic Fiction (TM) on top of everything else, and had a set of mostly reprints to deal with everything.
And now they're going to have 2-3 worlds a year. And while they're bringing in core sets again, they've basically said outright that they're going to be more like Origins and be part of the story.
These problems are going to get worse.
>>
>>54458138
Now I just want that card remade like Slumgar and Emracool.
>>
>>54427433

>Legendary artifact enchantment creature - Father of Machines

Is this what you have meant anon?
>>
>>54427372
>Nissa, Chandra and Lili getting OILED
Yes please.
>>
>>54441147
No it isn't, because /lit/ is populated by shitbags who celebrated Terry Pratchett being dead.
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.