[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 392
Thread images: 50

File: ddf.gif (381KB, 674x966px) Image search: [Google]
ddf.gif
381KB, 674x966px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54417839

Does anyone here actually read Dragon+?
>>
>>54423837
I'm making one, but it's sprites.
and by making one i mean ripping them all from existing resources
>>
Here's an alternate question for the 99% of you who haven't:
What's your favorite multiclass, not because of powerful synergies but because you think it's a cool concept?
>>
>>54425580
a fighter 1 rogue x
he's just a rogue in plate armor thus disadvantage on stealth rolls
>>
>>54425580
Bard/Druid.
>let me sing you the song of crop rotation
>>
>>54425580
Monk/Cleric, but other than needing the same stats, they don't really sync well
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>>54425580
>Bard/Warlock
'Cuz it's the Pick of Destiny, Child. Sold my soul for music 'cause I'm fucking insane.
>>
>>54425580
The problem is it's the powerful synergies that make the concept.

For example, you could have played a sorlock wanting to be.. Whatever you'd expect the combination to be, but instead you become an EB turret because of the synergy.

I'm a little confused to how to word it but I don't think 'not because of powerful synergies' is what should be said. IT should be 'What's your favorie multiclass, not because of the multiclass's power but because it creates a cool concept?'
Not that there's much difference. You'd expect a barbarogue to be a thug, and that's how it is. You'd expect a sorcadin to be a magic-focused paladin, and it is. It's just a few stray cases like sorlock don't fit what you'd expect from them.
>>
>>54425580
Arcane Trickster/Bard. Fun for supportive spells out of combat and when I don't feel like doing damage
>>
>>54425580
Fighter/Fighter
>>
File: bc78b4ef785eada5a17aa1df964b43b1.jpg (132KB, 736x1098px) Image search: [Google]
bc78b4ef785eada5a17aa1df964b43b1.jpg
132KB, 736x1098px
So is there a way to go super saiyan in character for dramatics? So far I'm thinking a Barbarian with Thaumaturgy, a friend using illusion magic to produce a bright glowing aura, and another causing a storm.
>>
>>54425789
>The problem is it's the powerful synergies that make the concept.
That seems highly subjective.
I think a druid/rogue is a cool concept; a thief or assassin that transforms into cats or panthers to sneak in and do her thing. But there's absolutely no synergy in the rules for it - even a level 1 rogue sneaks better than any beast, and you can't sneak attack with natural weapons as far as I know.
Sorlock, meanwhile, has no interesting concept in my mind beyond what it does mechanically, so to me it's completely boring. Ditto for sorcadin, for that matter.
>>
Favorite Cleric domain, go.
>>
>>54425919
Protector Aasimar
>>
>>54425919
Visually I think a phoenix sorc does it with mantle of flame. The super saiyan aura is described as being like golden fire and golden yellow flames from the mantle would fit quite nicely. It even makes your eyes glow, although red instead of green. Hell I imagine the updraft from the heat of the fire around you would make your hair float upwards too.
>>
>>54425580
I love warlock/paladin unironically, and had since 4e.
>>
>>54425580
Fighter/Wizard. Outmagic other fighters and outfight other wizards. Action Surge OP.
>>
File: IMG_0085.jpg (1005KB, 2530x1599px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0085.jpg
1005KB, 2530x1599px
How do I justify healz once magic has been stripped from the world?
>>
>>54426194
where i come from we call that medicine
>>
Hey guys I was thinking of a cool homebrew race I wanna play because my DM rejected my last concept because "it doesn't fit the lore of his world" (A.K.A. Pure autism).

Half-Mimic:

Born from combining the blood of a Mimic and a willing human sorcerer.

Strenght +2 Con +1
Speed: 30
Darkvision 60 feet
Shapechanger. You can use your action to polymorph into an inanimate object that you have seen, or back into your true form. Your statistics remain the same in each form, but you can only assume the shape of an object of Small or Medium size (such as a chest, chair, door or table). While you remain motionless, you are indistinguishable from that object. Any equipment you are wearing or carrying isn't transformed, but is contained within you as long as your shape has the dimensions to accommodate it (For instance, it's easier to contain a sword in a table than in a footstool). You revert to your true form if you die.
Adhesive. Whenever a Large or smaller creature touches you while you are in the shape of an object, you can use your reaction to attempt to grapple that creature.

Acid bite: as a bonus action once per short rest can bite 1d4 piercing + strenght +1d4 acid

Languages: Common + one of your choice

What do you think, is it balanced?
>>
>>54426219
Yeah but that's kind of a hard sell mid-combat, even more so at range.

Like, what, does he just throw gauze at your face?
>>
>>54426252
conventional wisdom usually holds that mid-combat healing is not worth it anyway
>>
>>54426247
This is fresh pasta isnt it.
>>
>>54426252
don't call it magic then, call it divine intervention... assuming there's still gods?
>>
>>54426194
Warlord, obviously
>>
>>54426252
That's why HP is abstracted to be morale, coordination, and fighting spirit as well as stab wounds.
>>
>>54426397
But muh meat points

>>54426269
I hope it doesn't become pasta
The bait is so blatant it's insulting
>>
>>54425580
Fey warlock, Oath of ancients paladin. I want to be a fighter that got powers in exchange for protecting something Fey. A true green night with a tangible liege.
>>
>>54426194
>>54426252
If you want everything to be functionally identical before and after magic is stripped from the world, why are you doing a campaign where magic is stripped from the world?

I'd say that it's a permanent antimagic zone everywhere and leave it at that. Maybe even take it a step further and use one of the variant rules for slow healing (because it was the latent magic of the world that let people get back up from any injury after an hour of rest and be fully recovered after only two days.)
>>
>>54426486

But anon, why would you protect the fey? They're jerks.
>>
>>54426247
Here, anon, I made a thread for you: >>54426592
>>
>>54425789
>'What's your favorie multiclass, not because of the multiclass's power but because it creates a cool concept?'
That's just as bad, though I don't think either are bad enough to warrant changing. I think what you're looking for is "what's your favorite multiclass in terms of flavor, not taking into account mechanics?"
I like fighter/monk because it mechanically allows me to use maneuvers and action surge as a monk, in flavor I like being able to use a spear as a dex fighter.
>>
>>54425357
Sometimes. The article about the all-feline setting was pretty cute and had some neat little things.
>>
>>54426587
So are gods and religion is far from dying
>>
>>54425580
Probably Sorcerer/Rogue. I always liked Sorcerer as far as spellcasting goes, and mixing that with the more nimble and stealthy aspects of a Rogue seems like a really fun time.
>>
>>54426194
The era of Alchemy.
>>
Going to play Out of the Abyss.
What are some fun classes for this adventure?
>>
File: oh no.jpg (31KB, 520x343px) Image search: [Google]
oh no.jpg
31KB, 520x343px
How do you all map out your dungeons and other arenas and whatnot? Do you use a particular program? Is there even any color? How detailed do you get?
>>
Actually, what's the the best way to build or flavor this?

Half elf, dump str to 13, max con/ cha. Pact of tome 3 (4), pala x
shillelagh + EB with agonizing blast
War caster + resilent and focus on casting on the frontline.
Mercenary with a silver tongue who trades security services for more power and casting knowledge
or
Human 16/16/16/9/9/9 or 15/8/15/8/10/14 + feat, pact of blade 4, pala x
using the thirsting blade invocation, PAM + Sentinel. Gives 3 attacks at level 8, use EB with agonising blast at range.
Primarily use buffing casting and smites.
Was raised by elves and was given a wonderful magic weapon and bow by their ancestral god in exchange for his loyalty.

>>54426587
Because they're charming and give gifts. Or maybe It's because I'm a jerk too, who knows?
>>
>>54426950
I use graph paper because I'm not a lazy faggot
>>
>>54426947
Shadow Monk will shine very well in the underdark
>>
>>54426950
I bought this huge fucking mat that you can draw on and it erases with a bit of water so you can re-draw designs over it.

Getting your players to not draw dicks all over it though is the real challenge.
>>
>>54427018
Same here, man. I may be a faggot, but I'm not lazy!

>>54427041
>shine
>>
>>54426950
i got one of those vinyl grid maps, though I need one of the bigger ones soon.
>>
>>54426950
i got a few cheap blocks of squared paper, where i draw rough travel maps and town layouts, aswell as battlemaps, where i count 4 squares on paper as 1 square in battle, aswell as complete or parts of dungeons, and then i write down notes for it, like traps and DCs, desired outcomes, special interactions between enemies and enviroment (a fun little thing is to have chandeliers in a room, and a dude just waiting for the party in the middle of the combat to walk under it before cutting it down.

then i got a binder, under which i got "dungeons" "town maps" "battle maps" and "campaign maps/other" in separate tabs, ordered oldest to newest.

npc names and other """hard facts""", goes in the binder, looser things such as quest notes, ideas, session notes and such goes into a small notebook i got by the side.
>>
>>54427041
Shadow monk, revised ranger 3. Teleport around in the underdark with your panther.
Bonus: Be a good drow and use twin shortswords
>>
>>54425948
Well, the thing is, the only mechanical synergy between druid and rogue is turning into an ape and sneak attacking or using wild shape for stealth and using pass without trace.
Which, even if it's not the best combination, creates what you were expecting there.

It's not about power, it's about what the most powerful set-up with that combination is that everybody will tend towards.

If you play sorlock you could choose not to take eldritch blast at all, but then it just feels like you're being silly. Naturally, all sorlocks will gravitate towards eldritch blast spam as it's the only thing that makes sense, and that synergy creates the base for a charater concept.
A possible character concept would be some sort of wizard who has completely ignored general studies for a hard focus on combat magic and has even made pacts with otherworldly beings in order to enhance their combat magic. The sort of guy who sees magic as only a tool for controlled destruction.

>I think what you're looking for is "what's your favorite multiclass in terms of flavor, not taking into account mechanics?"
That doesn't really work, either.
The deal is that the flavor has to really take into account mechanics, otherwise you try to be a flying kung fu jackie chan drunken master who actually can't handle booze and can't fly and can't do all the cool things you wanted your character to do.
>>
>>54427002
>>54426486
Meant for this
>>
>>54427157
>>54426713
Whoops, failed to link that last paragraph.

Basically my problem is just that you kind of have to base things off of mechanics or synergy or else you're playing a character that isn't your character.
>>
>>54425357
Dragon +, no not really.
The initiative idea is cool, but man does it slow down things and makes people look like idiots. I like the original one, you roll and wait for your turn like in a JPRG game, simple and quick.
>>
File: a7.png (299KB, 496x558px) Image search: [Google]
a7.png
299KB, 496x558px
>>54427018
>>54427049
>>54427075
>>54427121

So, it's all in black and white? Just the basic walls of the room, or are you detailing tables, sandbags, et cetera? And how do you denote a second floor or balcony without it covering the lower layer? And how do you properly convey the atmosphere of the area without any real art of which to speak?
>>
>>54427157
>It's not about power, it's about what the most powerful set-up
Those mean basically the same thing.

>Naturally, all sorlocks will gravitate towards eldritch blast spam
Maybe not. Not all players are trying to optimize their DPR/efficiency. Just because you play that way (and there's nothing wrong with that) doesn't mean it's universal, which is what you don't seem to be getting.

>The flavor has to really take into account mechanics
Well, no, those are separate things.

Your whole post is predicated on the assumption that we're talking about mechanics. But we're not. The question is "what two classes do you think are super cool together flavorwise, regardless of mechanical strength?" You can keep bringing up specific mechanics and combos, but you're not answering the question. You're changing the topic of discussion without addressing it.
Note that the question didn't ask if you'd actually play said character. Just... what do you think is cool?
>>
>>54426353
kek I almost forgot their healing was Martial in nature
So my party was once transported to a place where arcane and divine powers were warded off and we had no rouge so I had to charge forward trying to look for traps and healing us
>>
File: 1458941140747.jpg (228KB, 748x543px) Image search: [Google]
1458941140747.jpg
228KB, 748x543px
>>54427049
>Getting your players to not draw dicks all over it though is the real challenge.
>>
Rolling up a paladin for my friend's game, and I'm stuck for how to make them interesting. I want to take the Oath of Devotion, and be the iconic paladin, but with a fun twist. I don't have a background chosen either.

I was leaning towards a depressed, drunkard holy warrior, but I figured /tg/ might have some more interesting ideas.
>>
>>54427448
>I figured /tg/ might have some more interesting ideas.
I think you might've mistaken us for someone else.
>>
>>54427448
err Noble background and is the son of a cleric or Paladin but he's rather pious and strict wheras you're more a youthful brash semi idiot?
Comes with meh facial hair and an attraction to dames and drink
You could have a character arc about growing up to be your own warrior/hero or whatever
>>
>>54427319
>Those mean basically the same thing.
The difference is one is about 'Oh, sorlock is really powerful, but monkwizard is weak' and the other is 'Oh, sorlock is really weak if you play it like this, but really strong if you play it like this'
The first is about power of the multiclass set up right, the second is about what the most powerful set-up for a particular multiclass is.

>Maybe not. Not all players are trying to optimize their DPR/efficiency. Just because you play that way (and there's nothing wrong with that) doesn't mean it's universal, which is what you don't seem to be getting.
The essential gist there is that the player is purposefully nerfing themself if they don't pick that. Not in a 'why don't you pick wizard? It's the most powerful class even though it fills a different role' but in a 'why don't you pick shadow monk instead of wrath of the four elements? Four elements does nothing.'
So when you think of a monk in 5e, you never think 'Oh, is is a wrath of the four elements monk? Those are really cool!' but rather you're surprised if it is, and then it's more of a 'why do you hate yourself?'
When taken back to the sorlock, this is 'Oh, you're a sorlock, so you like EB spamming all the time I guess? What, you decided to try to defy what that class means? What, you decided to nerf yourself on purpose? Well, I guess.'
The multiclass is practically defined by EB spam, but you can try to play outside that definition.
>>
>>54427002
There are two ways to go about it:

Half Elf going 16/10/14/8/12/16, starts Paladin and proceeds first 6 levels as normal grabbing PAM at 4th, then MCs to Warlock for 3-4 levels before going back to Paladin (then does more Warlock after PLD 12). This is standard Paladin stats, lets you wear heavy armor, it's solid, the only difference is you bump CHA instead of STR because you'll be switching to Shillelagh combat.

The alternative is kinda what you described, VHuman 13/14/13/8/10/16 grabs Resilient (CON) to round up 14, starting with 1 level of Paladin is higher net HP but otherwise their first levels are going 3-4 into Warlock before switching to Paladin. Until you get Extra Attack, plays like a standard Warlock (EB turret) but with Medium Armor and Shield and normal spell slots.

In absolute terms, you're trading +1 AC for +2 DEX saves, and I'd say the latter is the better way once you're all up in levels but if you want to smack and smite from the beginning, starting Paladin is how you do it.
>>
>>54427448
If you don't have a background, you could potentially go with Urchin or Criminal and have them be someone who once stole to survive before turning to their Paladin ways.
>>
>>54427448
Maybe he was forced into his class via his family with high expectations. A reluctant paladin that doesn't want to be a paladin, but does so because he feels obliged to
>>
>>54425580
Sorcerer / Ranger.
It's never made sense to me that rangers had spell casting, it makes a little more sense if they were randomly born with magic powers.
>>
>>54427584
>>54427319
>Well, no, those are separate things.
They are not seperate.
If you do not base your flavour on your mechanics, you get... I don't fucking know.
You get a guy with ice control and ice powers and shoots ice beams everywhere mechanically but the flavour is they're this fire elemental that really likes burning stuff.
It doesn't work.

>"what two classes do you think are super cool together flavorwise, regardless of mechanical strength?"
This is what it should be, but it's not.
The original question was worded 'What's your favorite multiclass, not because of powerful synergies but because you think it's a cool concept?' which implies class synergy has no impact on the flavour.

The way you worded it just then implies mechanics can have some affect on flavour, though if I want to be really pedantic I should point out again that mechanical strength still has some level of relevance as if one class option is mechanically way stronger than the other then it will define the standard of what you expect from a multiclass.

And the original question doesn't actually imply that it's the way YOU want to play the multiclass. It's just 'what multiclass is a cool concept?
If you say 'sorlock' then almost anyone will think 'Oh, you mean EB spam'.
If it was 'what multiclass build is a cool concept?' then it could be some other way of playing it.

Yes, I had to make a two post long thing to explain this whole petty fuss I'm making.
>>
What kind of stuff is even contained within Dragon+?
>>
>>54427670
>though if I want to be really pedantic

You're well past that point. You're the only one who had any issue understanding what he meant.
>>
>>54425964
A tie between Light, Tempest and War
>>
>>54427632
When I think of ranger "spellcasting," I think of Aragorn. He puts his ear to the ground, listens, and can tell that there are orcs nearby. He's so familiar with plants and herbs that he can use them in ways that most people can barely fathom.
When I cast my ranger spells, I try to provide a non-flashy description. Detect Magic is simply having really finely tuned sense. Hunter's Mark is a frame of mind.
That said, a ranger born with arcane powers could be a very interesting character.

>>54427670
I see where you're coming from, but at the end of the day, you can be pedantic about my phrasing or you can accept the question for what it was meant to be.
>>
>>54427709
It's not an issue of misunderstanding. I think you're the one misunderstanding, really.

As said, it's 'what multiclass is a cool concept' not 'what multiclass build is a cool concept'.
However, what a multiclass concept is is defined by its mechanics and synergy.

The original question is like asking 'What cake do you like, not for the ingredients it's made out of but instead for the flavour?'
>>
File: n94Jv7I.gif (34KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
n94Jv7I.gif
34KB, 400x300px
>>54427756
I mean, I've gotta find something to complain about in /5eg/ every thread or else I'll wither away or something.
I might just be an argumental masochist at this point.
>>
>>54427757
>However, what a multiclass concept is is defined by its mechanics and synergy.
This is the exact point where you're wrong. You could have gotten that as soon as you saw the first few answers (bard/druid, monk/cleric).
A better analogy would be "what sort of cake do you like, not for its flavor but for its appearance?"
>>
>>54427757
No, it's like asking 'what's your favorite car, not because of mechanical power but because you think it's cool?'

Sure, someone might argue that the most powerful car in the world is cool because of that and that's why it's their favorite, but the implication is clear that they're not just asking about what the best car is, but also what people like on a more personal level.

And yet here you are, trying to turn it around and act like everyone else is misunderstanding and you're the only one who knows the truth.

Look how many replies to the post their are that didn't get confused like you did or feel the need to rant about how the question was technically wrong.
>>
>>54427173
Yeah you're right, I do think synergy is a decent thing to exclude though. Fighter and wizard MCing is awful beyond level 2, while sorc/pally is pretty decent at several splits. That's pure synergy and loss/gain from MCing, while it would make some sense in the flavor each class comes with that a wizard/fighter equal split might result in the equivalent of EK for example.
>>
File: file.png (413KB, 920x443px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
413KB, 920x443px
>>54425552
Post it here when you're done, please. I was thinkng of using something like ToME tileset as well.
>>
>>54427756
I wish ranger spellcasting was that way, but when they turn their skin into tree bark or shoot arrows made of lightning it kind of breaks the idea for me
>>
I need help finding a dungeon to use for today's one-shot.

THe party is going to be going into a place where Water Elementals and Cultists are sending Undead to assault a port city.

Any ideas on what to include in the dungeon? Or any reccomendations for premade dungeons to look at/modify?
>>
>>54426697
How is this triggering? It is quite balanced IMO.
>>
>>54428083
You could potentially make a pretty scary and difficult dungeon with lots of sections and passages designed to flood with water, where skeletons that don't need to breathe can move more freely.
>>
>>54427279
im >>54427121 and i should add that this is just my notes, when it comes to actually being in-game, we got a large vinyl map that we draw on with removable markers

>So, it's all in black and white
yes

>Just the basic walls of the room, or are you detailing tables, sandbags, et cetera?
i usually also make sure to draw #1, things that might be relevant/ hindrances during combat
#2, things that might be relevant and show the "purpose" of the room, ie, stovetop and kitchen counter for kitchens, racks and crates for the armory and #3 things that the players might take an interest in/ that i want them to take interests in, maybe a chest or something of the sort, all of these are very simple abstractions to keep it as clutter free as possible

>And how do you denote a second floor or balcony without it covering the lower layer?
the house is..... lets say 10x12 squares, you draw 10x12 squares on a paper, mark it as "floor 1", then you draw under that square, or get a new sheet if it's too large, draw 10x12 and mark it "floor 2"

>And how do you properly convey the atmosphere of the area without any real art of which to speak?
because i bloody well came up with the place and should thus be able to describe it to my players, if i need anything extra i make small notes upon general themes which i try to "enforce" when i describe it, besides, just how things "look" is a very shallow way of enforcing atmosphere. the drawings are just to translate it into crunch and to make sure that it "works". when it comes to describing something to enforce an atmosphere i always use "what does it look like, what does it sound like and what does it smell like, along with a faint "nudge" towards what the character would probably feel like in this place" "sight then sound then smell" is a great mantra for describing most things.
>>
>>54427821
Only if you don't know what the multiclass is.
When you know 5e well enough and you hear someone say 'I want to do an X/Y multiclass' all the reasonable synergies come to mind.
For example, if you said to someone who didn't know 5e at all 'What do you think of druids?' they might not say 'they shapeshift!' at all. But when you talk to a 5e person and say 'What do you think of druids?' they would know that shapeshifting is a core part of their class. To ignore that it's a core part of their class is to fail to make appropriate flavour.

So
>"what sort of cake do you like, not for its flavor but for its appearance?"
Only works as an analogy if you don't know 'the cake', because appearance is all you have to go off of. Otherwise, there's more to the cake than appearance asked from the question.

>>54427832
That only works if 'mechanical power' refers to all parts of the car. For example, the ways the doors open, the engine, dashboard interface, how large it is, etc.
And that makes up most of the reasons why you'd think it's cool aside from the paintjob they've done over the mechanics and the brand name, pretty much.

>>54428002
Well, when you think of a fighterwizard you would think '1/2 levels of fighter and rest wizard levels' rather than various splits, because that's what you expect and what almost always happens, and they always have armour and surge. Sorcerer-paladin is a bit weird but always has at its core 'smiting more' and some quickening/twinning perhaps.
>>
>>54428077
they get magic from nature, it's not a stretch
>>
>>54428077
I think once they reach high enough levels to do those things it's okay to say they've studied nature long enough to develop a magical connection like druids do. The important thing is that low-level rangers don't do anything overtly mystical.
But yeah, there's a reason "spell-less ranger" is basically the most popular/requested variant in any edition of D&D.
>>
>>54428125
That's a good idea. Somehow I didn't even consider that undead don't need to breathe.
>>
Rate my magic item, 5eg

ARMOR OF ANIMANUS
(Plate Armor, Requires Attunement)

This armor resists radiant, necrotic, and all non-magic slashing, bludgeoning, and piercing damage. Once attuned, the wearer of this armor can use one of the following abilities once per day.

a) Army of Armor: summons up to four Animated Armors (MM p. 19), each one wielding one martial melee weapon chosen for it by the wearer. These armors are loyal to The wearer, obey their orders, and do their best to protect the wearer from harm. The summoned armors are active for twelve hours before they and their weapon(s) dissipate into radiant energy and disappear.

b) Animanus's Embrace: transforms the wearer into the equivalent of a Helmed Horror (MM pg. 183) as if using the druid's Wild Shape feature, except that the player will always retain their own equipment, weapon(s), and/or shield. While transformed, the wearer is immune to radiant damage.
>>
>>54428228
Seems fucking overpowered as fuck. It is on the level of legendary items, or higher.
>>
>>54428147

This might be a retarded question, but is there a program that makes mapping this shit out any easier than just abusing the line tool in photoshop? Something that lines it up to a grid so I don't have to pinpoint that shit?
>>
How to Arcane Trickster?
>>
>>54428178
>When you know 5e well enough and you hear someone say 'I want to do an X/Y multiclass' all the reasonable synergies come to mind.
OK, now stop thinking like that and then you understand how everybody else is addressing this discussion.

>shapeshifting is a core part of their class
Right, and I'm not arguing against that; if you recall, I used it in an example about a cool rogue/druid. But the point is that knowing what the class is about doesn't mean you have to think about the exact way its mechanics work. I can think of a druid as a shapeshifter without thinking about the text of Wild Shape as it appears in the PHB.

>There's more to the cake than appearance
I'm asking you specifically to describe a cake you think is pretty. If you can't do that, just don't answer the question. The thread is big enough for multiple discussions.

>When you think of a fighterwizard you would think '1/2 levels of fighter and rest wizard levels'
For the last time (hopefully) - NO, that's what YOU would think. The whole point is that everyone else is thinking of fighter/wizard in a very general sense - armor and sword and spellslinging, maybe pointy ears. You don't have to go deeper than that when deciding a concept is cool.
>>
>>54428178
>Well, when you think of a fighterwizard you would think '1/2 levels of fighter and rest wizard levels' rather than various splits
Yes but this excludes synergy hence it removes those assumptions. Without synergy, sorcadin is NOT about smiting with sorc slots, it's about a holy knight having sorcerous powers, using those arcane spells in conjunction with his holy magic and with two power sources often having some interesting stuff come from that (more prevalent with pallock).
>>
>>54428268
Campaign Cartographer?
>>
>>54428228
Remove one of those effects.
>>
>>54428268
somebody was using rpg maker to make maps then screenshot-paste into gimp
>>
>>54428261

Well to be fair, the eponymous Animanus is a legendary animated armor that ascended to a paragon godhood in its own right after being awoken by a goddess of protection to serve as her sentry.
>>
File: alright.jpg (33KB, 340x403px) Image search: [Google]
alright.jpg
33KB, 340x403px
>>54428292
That seems way more complicated than what I need.

I just need to be able to make walls, doors, stairs, and shit, with basic black lins.
>>
>>54428278
Take spells that will help your stealth and infiltration. No damaging spells, your ranged attacks will do more damage and be more accurate. Disguise self and minor illusion are both incredibly helpful
>>
>>54428178
>That only works if 'mechanical power' refers to all parts of the car.

Except he also said 'powerful synergies', not just 'any synergy you can think of regardless of how good it is'

Is it so hard for you to wrap your head around the idea that he was asking more about fluff rather than crunch?
>>
>>54428283
>OK, now stop thinking like that and then you understand how everybody else is addressing this discussion.
We're in a goddamn /5e/ thread, no way I'm not going to think of it in the context of 5e.

>But the point is that knowing what the class is about doesn't mean you have to think about the exact way its mechanics work. I can think of a druid as a shapeshifter without thinking about the text of Wild Shape as it appears in the PHB.
Then you make a druid who turns into a dragon using their wildshape flavour-wise even though mechanically they can't?

>I'm asking you specifically to describe a cake you think is pretty. If you can't do that, just don't answer the question. The thread is big enough for multiple discussions.
Yeah, but it's still a case that sounds like 'Not regarding the things that make the cake pretty, what cake is pretty?'
Which could have honestly just been a 'This is stupid' 'well yeah you're a fag answer the question' but the thing is it's not really easy to explain so I kinda failed to explain that properly and so now we're in a thread-long discussion I guess.

>For the last time (hopefully) - NO, that's what YOU would think. The whole point is that everyone else is thinking of fighter/wizard in a very general sense - armor and sword and spellslinging, maybe pointy ears. You don't have to go deeper than that when deciding a concept is cool.
But when you play that multiclass, that's not what you get. Because this is 5e, not some other edition.
>>
>>54428289
This would be fine then, if we were talking about D&D in general, but it seems weird to come to a 5e thread to talk about D&D multiclass concepts in general and not 5e multiclass concepts.

5e sorlock IS about EB spam unless you purposefully fight against the meta. In D&D and general it might be something different.
>>
>>54428379
>Then you make a druid who turns into a dragon using their wildshape flavour-wise even though mechanically they can't?
You're either missing the point of everything I'm saying or being obtuse on purpose.
No, I'm imagining a druid turning into a fucking cat to steal jewelry. Except the rules make that really suboptimal. Except, when talking about fluff, I DON'T CARE.

Other than that, I'm done. It's clear you'd rather perpetuate an argument about semantics than participate in a discussion about class combination fluff, which is literally all I wanted to do.
>>
File: itemexamples.png (165KB, 868x450px) Image search: [Google]
itemexamples.png
165KB, 868x450px
>>54428017
All of these will have to be resized once placed as tokens in Roll20 because I'm not gonna fuck around with proper sizing beforehand. They also added a token recolor option which is pretty good for getting variants of stuff or making things blend better.
https://a.uguu.se/4JHeyGGjpuVg_items.7z
>>
>>54428408
Warlock is about contracting with a powerful outsider for magical power. Sorcerer is about being born with power. Both of those things are inherent to 5e.
So it's possible (albeit strange) to think of the combination as "someone who was born with power, and then made a deal with a powerful outsider to learn how to use it better." Specific spells don't even have to come into the discussion.
I respect that this is not your personal mindset, but why is it so hard for you to understand, and why can't you just let people who do hold that mindset have a discussion about it?
>>
File: mind flayer.png (1MB, 834x792px) Image search: [Google]
mind flayer.png
1MB, 834x792px
My players have said to me their desire to have cuthulian/lovecraftian content in the next session/dungeon, and I replied that its impossible because they are only level 3 and it wouldn't at all be fair to put them against creatures that are so powerful and that would wipe the floor with them

However, I'm actually lying and I'm going to do a "surprise, it was actually a lovecraftian cult all along!" and have a mind flayer as the final boss for the dungeon. But the thing is that it is really powerful

what changes would you make to pic related to make it more fair as a challenge to a level 3 party?
>>
>>54428461
>I'm imagining a druid turning into a fucking cat to steal jewelry. Except the rules make that really suboptimal.
>Using wildshape correctly is suboptimal
>???
>>
>>54428408
Well it's the only active D&D general unless you count OSR, just like "what's your favorite demon/plane/weapon/whatever" it's not necessarily going to be exclusive to the game. If asking what weapon is someone's favorite, someone may say halberd because they're really good, but if they specify to not take into account synergy and mechanical strength, the sickle might be your favorite.

>5e sorlock IS about EB spam unless you purposefully fight against the meta. In D&D and general it might be something different.
Yeah that's what it is about mechanically. When it comes to roleplaying, what your character is like, where they get those powers from, and how they approach combat, they are at best informed by that. Sorlock isn't just about EB spam, it's just about EB spam /when in combat/. Classes exist beyond combat and have packets of flavor that makes them different beyond the mechanics, like holy vs. arcane magic.
>>
>>54428518
How many players are they? 5 lvl 3 can beat a mindflayer if the mindflayer is alone.
>>
>>54427593
Hmm, yes, always starting in Paladin for proficiencies and HP.
I was thinking Half Elf with 13/10/16/8/11/17. Go directly to paladin 5, picking up resilient CON. Then go 3 warlock (or 4 picking up war caster, or +1 con/ cha). Then continue paladin
That's enough strength for plate, and I can rely on CHA for damage (EB + quarterstaff or ironwood weapon with DM fiat). With high CON/ CHA, and more prepared spells, I can focus on either save spells + melee, or concentration spells with advantage and proficiency + EB from a distance.
DEX and INT saves can suck it, tank that shit. I can always heal myself, and with high ac + con i probably won't be hit a ton. WIS is a bit more finnicky, but elven heritage and advantage from aura takes care of that. Once I get find steed, shillelagh lance whenever I'm outside.

On the flipside, I can go human (or vhuman if allowed) Feats would be PAM+GWM(+sentinel if vhuman). With thirsting blade, I can have 3 attacks at 8th, and two feats at 9. That's (1d10+1d4+6) for an average of 14 per attack, or (1d10+1d4+32) for an average of 40 per attack, no advantage on GWM though, but there are smites on top of that. Vhuman changes the values to 12/ 36. INT/DEX/WIS saves same as above.
>>
>>54428547
You need 15 for plate
>>
>>54428518
Try making a mind flayer that's stupid. Relatively speaking, at least. Maybe they were an orc before they got converted so their int is lower. Other than that, just lower the damage numbers and xp reward a bit
>>
>>54428545
they are 4, and they are a bit fucking retarded
I still love them
They might get really serious if they go up against a final boss, I'm not sure how they will react
>>
>>54428518
Basically, fudge rolls.

Horror is all about narrative over mechanics. Don't even roll dice for its mind blast, make it so half of the party fails their first save and describe what the characters feel. Then make it try to suck one of the party member's brains in combat. Then when they're terrified enough, go easy and let him beat it a little bit, just so that it'll be able to cast some escape spell and run away. Or even thematically better, make a battle near a deep well of water, and make it slither down there when it starts losing. Then they'll have a constant threat of a brain-eating horror stalking them. Also, adding to the watery theme, make it naked and covered in slime, something like a degenerated mind flayer instead of a full-blown one.
>>
>>54428518
>My players have said to me their desire to have cuthulian/lovecraftian content in the next session/dungeon, and I replied that its impossible because they are only level 3 and it wouldn't at all be fair to put them against creatures that are so powerful and that would wipe the floor with them
Did they specifically ask for squidmonsters? Because lovecraftian content is not about monsters with tentacles...
>>
>>54428523
A rogue/druid has a better stealth bonus in his natural shape than as a cat.
>>
>>54428609
they actually said cuthulian monsters
>>
>>54428605
Actually, correction. Roll dice every time, just don't look at the rolls. When they're close to the final battle make them do some random d20 rolls and don't tell them why, basic horror stuff like that.
>>
>>54428518
You don't. They wanted Cthulhu, they get the full experience.
>>
>>54428517
>but why is it so hard for you to understand
The misunderstanding here is that I can't seem to make people realize what I'm talking about.

And I'm probably not going to at this rate and it'll just clog up at the threads even more when ideally this should have just been a shitpost with 0-2 replies and nothing more, so I should probably just give up because it wasn't an awfully important point in the first place.

>>54428529
You're pretty much right overall there. Ideally a character's combat style should be more than just 'informed' as it kinda sucks to completely seperate combat and out of combat like that and have them turn into somewhat different people whenever combat starts.
>>
>>54428616
A jewelry store owner probably wouldn't call the guards over seeing a stray cat in their store after hours. Mitigating the consequences of being caught by wild shaping sounds like a worthwhile trade
>>
>>54428605
This is horrible advice for D&D though YMMV. Especially because mind blast is a save IIRC so saying regardless of /their/ rolls, which they see and know about the appropriate DC, that two of them fail it reveals the fact that you're fudging which is even worse than fudging.

>>54428622
Fair enough. I think the easiest thing to do is just refluff, take the int devourers and make them more cthulhian etc. You probably want some weird/horror-esque mechanics like sucking brains out and all, but you don't have to go that far.
>>
>>54428616
Depends on your dex, I suppose. Expertise should still apply even as a cat and probably uses your proficiency bonus, though I don't quite remember exactly.
Not only that, being a cat makes it much, much easier to hide and if you get caught you can just play it off as being some dumb animal.
>>
>>54428665
>take the int devourers and make them more cthulhian etc
I already had that idea in mind

They are going into an abandoned temple expecting to find murloc shitters
>>
>>54428659
>The misunderstanding here is that I can't seem to make people realize what I'm talking about.
No, we understand what you're saying (at least I do), we're just saying it's not what the conversation is about so it's not relevant.

>>54428662
That's fair. Maybe I'd actually play this at some point, then.
RAW, is there a way to increase your stealth in cat mode?
>>54428685
Hmm, seems you're right. Still not as good as even 16 in dex, but definitely playable with expertise.
If I can get over my dislike of spellcasting, I might play this character next.
Castless wildshape druid/wildshape archetype when
>>
>>54428547
You need 15 STR for Plate.

The point of multiclassing Warlock with a CHA focus is using Shillelagh from Tome pact.

Thirsting Blade does not stack with Extra Attack. While Paladin 2 is a potential dip for a Bladelock to grab Divine Smites and armor/shield proficiencies, a more even multiclass doesn't at all benefit from Pact of the Blade.

Also your priorities are PAM, maxing CHA, and then you can think of Warcaster or anything else. Why PAM? Because it works with Quarterstaff. So Shield+QS with Dueling Style. This is the Palalock.
>>
>>54428687
Gelatunous cubes can be pretty spooky if you make them not just cubes of jelly, and stat drain (only shadows and int devourers in the MM at least) is also good. Gibbering Mouther is cool and only CR2, kunku-like mimicry might be fun to use for some fucked up aberrations, and myconids are always great.
>>
>>54428758
Come to think of it, would there be interest in a wildshape archetype for rogue? Would it be OP? Should I waste my next hour making one?
>>
>>54428518
Swap out that breastplate for naked/cloth, now it has 11 AC, maybe remove the magic resist? Probably drop a few d off it's damage if they're level 3.
>>
>>54428602
If they can reach lvl 4 before facing the mindflayer it should be fine, a hard challenge but doable if they have all their HP and enough resources.

It can go any way depending if they save or not the AOE, mindflayers are extremely swingy, they might kill him in 2 turns or be TPK.
>>
>>54428797
It's probably better as a feat I think if you're thinking of using it for utility, transforming into a cat and such. But I can't stop you and it would be interesting to have a rogue with resources that aren't just spells.
>>
>>54428665
Why would you reveal that you're fudging? Just look at the lowest numbers. The point is to make them go "oh fuck, this thing is horrifying" (at least mechanically) instead of "made my saving throw, let's kill it and loot it". If you play on a mat with minis, horror is really hard to do. If you stat something and give it a mini, in players' mind it can be killed. That's a basic instinct most new players I played with had, by the way.

>>54428687
Also, the anon's right. Just use standard monsters and reskin them. It's how you describe things, not what they are. If you say "5 murlocs attack you, roll initiative", there will be no horror. If you say "Suddenly, out of the darkness, a bone spear flies out and (roll d20 just for the fun of it) hits the ancient stone pillar besides you. Inhuman shadows quickly move out of the mist with gurgling sounds, their malicious eyes glowing like little embers. One of them points and you and screams in the language you don't understand. You have only a few seconds to react", and then roll initiative, it will be more thematic.
>>
>>54428854
It's probably too strong/versatile for a feat, unless you limit it severely.
I've got some time to kill, so I'll see what I can whip up. Any thoughts for archetype name? "Cat burglar" seems a bit too on-the-nose. :^)
>>
>>54428881
>Why would you reveal that you're fudging?
I'm saying because they're rolling saves, telling them "Aaron and Jim you succeed, the rest of you take x damage and are paralyzed" when Aaron rolled a natural 20. What do you do when you've decided half fail when they all roll below 10? Or above 18? It's at level 3, if you say even just 16+s failed they will rightly run away. This is D&D, it's one of the worst systems for horror and at least IMO fudging is awful. It's fine to have something too powerful to kill and they have to run away, or more-so, something that can't be killed (yet/ever) and is more of a trap/environmental hazard/whatever. But to have them fight it and then wanting to cram in some bullshit to make it seem like not a normal fight is incredibly weak I think.
>>
>>54428590
Doh nvm.
>>54428765
I re-read the rules, and you're right.
>>
I'm sure there is some curve or someone ran the numbers out there one time.

On average, what sort of bonus does advantage apply to a roll? I feel like there is a figure here.
>>
I want to include ley lines in a setting, an incredibly small number of them, if an arcane caster is close to one, and is able to link with it, there's some power they can use while they're near it.

What would that be though?
>>
>>54425580
A Barbarian/Paladin muticlass
>GET MAD FOR JESUS
>>
>>54429017
Path of the Zealot is basically that. It was by far the best part of the barbarian UA and I really hope it makes it to XGE.
>>
>>54428999
3.325, but its usefulness varies by target number.

http://anydice.com/program/1973
>>
>>54428987
You're taking it too literally. Of course you don't want to fudge anything if they all rolled like 17+, or if you think they're ready to take it in a fair fight without any tweaks. Even if they all succeed fair and square you can hint that something really bad would've happened if they failed I mean players who meet mind flayers for the first time,
obviously
. Just have to be subtle. In my experience, it comes with enough experience (bleugh). I agree on everything that you said about DnD, but you can still make at least SOME horror in almost any system. Hell, we ran Ravenloft modules in my youth, and we had a blast with them, even though it was on the grid.
>>
>>54429043
I had no idea that path existed, and holy shit abusing warrior of the gods sounds like so much fun. A character who dies every other session just because he can sounds great. Changing races constantly from reincarnate sounds like it could have some interesting effects on roleplaying
>>
Gonna try DMing for the first time group of friends who we all play together with. I have an idea for a small campaign but was hoping for some feedback.

I'm going for a lighthearted, tongue in cheek kinda feel. My friends don't invest heavily in RP, but I think by making it silly I can change that.

The premise is it starts at a mansion in the world's version of The Bachelorette. The PCs are the contestants, trying to win the heart of the Lady. They're required to drink, do weird tasks, and convince the lady to keep them around.

When it comes time to choose, however, she gets kidnapped by the big bad guy, so the PCs need to rescue her. I'm hoping to have them go from location to location, with each being a sort of parody of popular shows, particularly reality TV. The final guy will be revealed to be Gordon Ramsey.

Any who, I haven't DMed before, so I don't know how much to write ahead of time, and I was just hoping for some tips/feedback
>>
>>54425919
Sun Soul Monk has that as its capstone ability, but it's kinda shit because all it does is deal your wisdom modifier on reaction to being hit.
>>
File: Tw3_journal_mirrorman.png (350KB, 654x727px) Image search: [Google]
Tw3_journal_mirrorman.png
350KB, 654x727px
Archfey, Fiend, or Great Old One?

Fiend seems the most likely, his claiming to be something else came off as bluffs to me.
>>
>>54429007
Communication between other arcane users, like an arcane morse code? Or easy teleportation for select users between 2 spots as long as the line on both sides are active. Or maybe activating the primary site turns it into the main energy battery for the other site, activating it in the process. Those sacred pillars? They hide a collection of spell tomes. That pyramid? Turns out that's a giant stone Tarrasque and you just set it upon the world.
>>
>>54429173
>The final guy will be revealed to be Gordon Ramsey
Make him a cannibal barbarian with the gourmand feat
Also, make sure the bachelorette segment doesn't take too long, sounds like something that could get boring quickly.
>>
>>54428599
>Other than that, just lower the damage numbers and xp reward a bit
I like the "lower int", the fluff plan was that the party has tampered with the ritual and thus the mind flayer is a bit weaker than it should.

how does this damage reduction sound:
tentacle 2d10+4--->2d8+4
Mind blast: 4d8+4--->4d6+4
DC for extract brain: 15--->13
>>
>>54428825
how does this >>54429261 sound?
>>
>>54429219
Absolutely Fiend, Hearts of Stone is a giant homage to Pan Twardowski's deal with the devil
>>
>>54429007
Do you want them to be the central piece of the setting?

When you stand on the crossing of ley lines, you can recharge all your daily spells for free once every hour, and give your spells +4 caster levels. That's why giant magocratic cities are built on them.

Standing on the ley line itself provides a minor effect of similar type.
>>
File: 1500568406173.jpg (52KB, 399x528px) Image search: [Google]
1500568406173.jpg
52KB, 399x528px
>8 wisdom, intelligence and charisma barbarian being all tactical trying to game the system every 5 minutes out of character
>>
>>54429219
Fiend, there's two more pacts outside the PHB btw.
>>
File: IMG_0509.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0509.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Post pictures of your favorite dice set
>>
File: thynkyng.png (7KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
thynkyng.png
7KB, 112x112px
>>54429314
>and give your spells +4 caster levels
>>
>>54429339
thanks doc?
>>
>>54429337
I know but O'Dimm doesn't seem likely to be any of the other ones than those three, and of those three Fiend is like a 90% fit.
>>
>>54428881
of course, the only thing is that the fags already know they are up against murlocs, but deep inside the temple there is small cult formed by some twin assholes who are trying to revive an ancient evil (the mind flayer)

Not many encounters planned, it is just a very small dungeon, some things planned:
The aforementioned murlocs, nothing really weird about them so that the party doesn't suspect anything
Cultists, described as if they had some tzneetch mutations that attack with claws instead of hand weapons, alongside twin cultist leaders (don't know if to make it conjoined twins through a worm tail for extra creepy)
3 int devourers (maybe more or less, I don't know how much of a threat they would be to the party)
A pair of harpy witch sisters that block the path through a cave in the temple because monster girls are my fetish
A mimic for shits and giggles
>>
>>54425580
Eldritch Knight/Monster Slayer
It's pretty much a Witcher.

Also adding Warlock to most classes is always a fun concept.
Bard/Warlock
Paladin/Warlock
Rogue/Warlock
>>
>>54429330
>My planning ability is defined by my ability to recollect information
Stats are abstract you sperg, especially mental ones.
>>
>>54429476
If you dump your mental stats as a martial class your character doesn't deserve to have opinions on things outside of combat.
>>
>>54429449
Druid/warlock
>"I protect these woods from all incursions by civilization. Because Mab told me to."

Barbarian/warlock
>"Ever since I made that deal with the mysterious businessman, I tend to get really angry."
>>
>>54420782
>merchant with a high diplomacy skill, whose dabbled in some magic but also knows how to play an instrument.

>That's literally a bard with the guild merchant background. I'm not going to say every concept ever can function, but you seem to have a very narrow view of what works with existing mechanics.

Autistic retards blaming the system for being bland yet if they even try to use their brain or actually are capable of thinking can create the character they want; it's not the system's fault you're a fucking autistic retard.
>>
Post suggestions for noises I can use as a Kenku to convey emotions or things that might come up a lot, like spotting something dangerous
>>
>>54429330
>18 Int Wizard can't formulate a plan to save the party's fucking life
>20 Strength Barbarian can't lift an object that I can IRL
>mid-level Monks running slower than high school track & field athletes
Wis, Int, and Cha are "magic power" of various stripes. Any other interpretation falls apart under scrutiny. If DMs saying "your character [of X alignment] wouldn't do that" was so bad (and wrong) that alignments were nearly entirely removed from the system, we're sure as fuck not going to tolerate DMs saying "your character couldn't think of that".
>oh, wait, remember that cryptic symbol we got from the warlock's lich patron five sessions ago? i bet that's the configuration of slots on the floor puzzle here
>NO, YOUR FIGHTER ONLY HAS 10 INT, YOU COULDN'T REMEMBER THAT
>>
>>54429558
>like spotting something dangerous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5qbcRAXVk
Don't pretend like you didn't know this was coming.
>>
>>54429571
>"your character couldn't think of that".
come on fag, there is a huge line between such levels of dickery of "your character couldn't think of that" and calling the player on not making the slightest effort at roleplaying his character, who is supposed to be below average intelligence

Like, you are a barbarian, a stupid one at that, stop breaking the immersion for fucks sake
>>
File: party leadership.png (20KB, 771x186px) Image search: [Google]
party leadership.png
20KB, 771x186px
>>54429571
This is most often seen in Faces I find
>>
>>54429627
But my outlander barbarian has a +1 to survival he HAS to know something special about the mindflayer we're fighting in the underdark!
>>
>>54429571
ah, i remember the days back when my group played Anima, I had a character with almost minimal intelligence and he ended up solving most intellectual problems/puzzles either through incredibly lucky int checks, or his sheer bumbling stupidity wrapped all the way back around to genius.
ex: Puzzle required manipulation of a small statue, while others debated on whether it was a trap and/or how best to go about it, my character decided he wanted to play with the dolly.
>>
>>54429627
>you are a barbarian
>a stupid one at that
You're suggesting that merely playing a Barbarian, regardless of stats, means the PC has to be a fucking idiot? This isn't 1E. Get out.
>>
>>54429687
that's different from what the other anon said, he said that the player is trying to play his barbarian tactically and game the system every 5 minutes
>>
>>54429696

read the posts, it was already specified the player has 8 INT and 8 WIS
>>
>>54429696
>regardless of stats
because of stats, you cunt

10 is the average, the barbarian has 8int, he is below average intelligence
>>
>>54429719
Yeah, that's covered by "a stupid one at that". You wrote "you are a Barbarian", implying that Barbarians are stupid by default.
>>
>>54429741
This is how autistic metagamers are.
>>
File: playing skyrim.png (2MB, 986x1378px) Image search: [Google]
playing skyrim.png
2MB, 986x1378px
I posted yesterday or the day before about making a character. Haven't played 5e, haven't played DnD in years, etc. So my current plan is a Wood Elf Fighter (ranged) with a stealth setup/niche/whatever I wanna shoot niggas out of hiding, Sharpshooter Martial Archetype, and my current background ideas are Outlander, Folk Hero, or Hermit but I'm not too fond of the religion attributes--I doubt I'd do anything with them. Does this sound decent?

Please provide suggestions, comments, criticism, ideas, help.
>>
>>54429741
are you really this fucking stupid or are you just trying really hard?
>>
>>54429772
If you can't wrap your head around it, I think you're the guy with 8 Int/Wis/Cha here.
>>
>>54425357
Started talking about this last thread but then I had to go and the thread died.

Cleric variant where almost all of its spells come from domains, and only a handful come from a common cleric list.

Instead of 20+wis common spells and 10 domain spells, 20+wis or even 30 domain spells and 10 common spells.

Inspired by 2e specialist priests.

Fyi, Favored soul or the priest class variant are not the same niche but they were mentioned last time.
>>
>>54429768
Swap out the Religion proficiency for something that fits your character more. PHB explicitly allows you to do this (p. 126). Just let your DM know what's up
>>
>>54429768
Ayy I'm the one that recommended wood elf and fighter to you. Your character looks fine so far, and background is something you should leave up to character flavor since it usually won't have an active effect on your game. Any help in specific you're looking for?
>>
>>54429802
how the fuck am I going to wrap around your retarded paranoid assumption of "he said all barbarians are stupid by default!" when absolutely nobody but you got that idea
>>
>>54429838
I got it
>>
>>54429863
no, he is right, how the fuck did you make that assumption from my post?
>>
>>54425357
So, monks can't grapple or do other martial arts things because they'll have dex+wis, not str.

How could we fix that?
>>
>wanna play DnD with my firends
>none of my friends can DM
>know no DM's
>only DM's are at the campaigns of cringy af Adventures league spergs at local comic store

How difficult would it be to learn how to DM?
>>
>>54429895
Because that's how words work
>>
>>54429932
you are insane
>>
>>54429915
allow them to add wis to those checks (I would say Dex, but dex is already overused)
>>
>>54429826
Yeah I was figuring I could do something like that.

>>54429833
Sick. Yeah I want the character to be rather vigilant in nature where he normally spent most of his life in nature, alone from large gatherings of people, so he has his own law like a 'see evil, must cleanse evil' type deal. As far as alignment goes, I was leaning toward LN or NG. As far as backgrounds: I was aiming for Outlander because my character naturally being outdoorsy and a physically-active class/person-in-general would provide a huge benefit; Folk Hero because I like the idea of being able to blend in and go unnoticed; and Hermit for the Discovery but I've no strong ideas there yet.
>>
File: 1483787872369.jpg (21KB, 400x418px) Image search: [Google]
1483787872369.jpg
21KB, 400x418px
Alright, so, I made a map. How the fuck do I make the roll20 grid actually line up with the grid of my map?
>>
>>54429916
Not hard. 5e is pretty easy.

Start with a published adventure. Like out of abyss. Use a dm guide for it to make your job easier.

Read some articles about Deming in your free time.

Check out lazy dm and the relevant kobold guides and the 2e Villain book.
>>
>>54429916
Try running Lost Mines of Phandelver. It's designed to be accessible to new DMs as well as new players.
>>
So if I'm working on a rogue archetype that shapeshifts into animals to do nefarious things (theft/murder/etc.) is "Skinwalker" an appropriate name, or is it too inherently evil?
Also, it might be disrespectful to Natives but I'm not sure how much or how much that should matter for a fantasy game.

>>54429916
It's not that hard, if you aren't inherently unsuited for it. Try DMing Lost Mines of Phandelver, which I hear is fun and easy to DM.
>>
>>54429719
I don't think it's worth scrutinizing someone over a -1 INT modifier. They take a small hit to their ability checks and the rest is up to them, within reason.
>>
>>54429916
Learn? Easy. Be good at it? It will take time and experience.

You just have to gather your courage and make the first step, anon. It might be uncomfortable to you and others at first, but if you take your duties seriously, and your group will have fun, you'll get a hang of it.

Watch Matt Colleville's youtube videos, I think it's THE best introductory DMing videos out there.
>>
What's the best way to trap a vampire when he shifts into bat form?
>>
>>54429916
its fucking easy really

your first session is going to be meh, but you just get better from there

Don't create a character for yourself, let your players play everything and you'll avoid the mistake of 90% of shit DMs

first rule: let the players play
never do "another guy coems and solve this problem for you or saves your asses in this encounter" Start with easy encounters and if your players are dying and they are too stupid to flee let them die but...

never do "insta killed/insta hurt" you always let the players roll saves, roll initiative and roll whatever is needed

AND READ THE FUCKING BOOK
>>
>>54429951
>rather vigilant in nature
Sounds like outlander or hermit. Remember that custom backgrounds are allowed (ask your dm). Also take the perception skill since not only does it go with your character, but it's the most commonly used skill at most tables
> he has his own law like a 'see evil, must cleanse evil' type deal
How will your character handle evil characters that are sanctioned by the law? Depending on your answer he might be chaotic good
>>
>>54429982
I've watched a few of Matt's dming sessions coming off his dm advice videos, his games are pretty bad. Won't watch again.
>>
>>54429982
I don't agree with everything Colleville says, but it's a great starting point.

Theres also some videos on there about what to put in a dm's binder to help you out.

And there's some great shit from drunkens and dragons and from black magic craft, if you want to do terrain.

>>54430031
Good first rule.
>>
>>54430048
Regardless of whether his games are good, his dm advice videos have some good tips. I like the one about how he prepares a published adventure.
>>
>>54425357
So i'm creating a character and one of his characteristics is that he's "Too old to die young, Too young to be old and wise". I know the book says humans live less than 100 years, but is there an actual life expectancy in Faerun and how old should he be to fit this characteristic?
>>
>>54429895
>It's a building, and a tall one at that. You can't jump it.
"And a _____ one at that" intensifies an already true statement, in this case that you can't jump a building. You wouldn't write
>It's a loaf of bread, and a tall one at that. You can't jump it.
because people can jump over a fucking loaf of bread.
Are you even paying attention in your English classes, or are you busy fucking around with fidget spinners all day?
>>
What are some good things to keep in mind if I want to create a couple of rival adventuring parties that compete for jobs with the players?

I was thinking one would be a pretty honorable group, that approaches everything with "may the best team take the reward" attitude and the other group is a bunch of assholes that do things like wait outside the boss room for the battered party to emerge and then rob them
>>
>>54429833
>>54429951
Oh yeah. What other stat should I worry about, besides DEX?

>>54430047
Okay, was already planning to take PER. I'd like to be a kind of scout for the team.
>How will your character handle evil characters that are sanctioned by the law?
Mmm yeah I guess it would all be subjective encounters. I'd also like my character to not be affected by the bystander effect, if possible. But I don't want to cause bullshit every 10 minutes either.
>>
>>54430048
He has recorded game videos? Well, looking at other people playing is fucking boring. His advice is really good though. Not for all styles of play, but it fits what I consider the "AD&D style" pretty well.
>>
>>54430082
34-44 depending on whether your setting has three out of five peasant children dying before age 12.
>>
>>54430103
CLEARLY YOU KNOW BETTER WHAT I MEANT THAN MYSELF
>>
>DMing biweekly for a few months now
>Still have no idea what I'm doing
>Every session is flying by the seat of my pants
>Players keep telling me they're having fun
>Not sure if they're just being polite or if they actually like it

I don't want this feel
>>
>>54430082
45. He's going through a midlife crisis.

>>54430104
"Is this going to be fun for my players?"
>>
>>54430137
Anon, if you meant "the firetruck was red" but wrote "the firetruck was yellow" the problem isn't with me making assumptions.
>>
>>54429916
Here's a tip I have applied to my games. Get a cheap recorder, and place it in the middle of the table during a session. Test it and make sure that everyone playing can be heard on the recording. Then listen to it like a podcast while you're doing something else during the week (commuting, painting minis, planning your next session) and you'll pick up on things you can improve that you didn't notice while you were running the game.
>>
>>54430143
shit, are you me, son?
I had this exact same feeling as well, worry not, they are actually having fun
>>
First time posting in the /5eg/ and was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind helping me out.

My friends and I just started D&D back in 5e so we're not the best RPers. Currently taking a break from a story altered LMoP as one of the players is at boot camp so we're doing another campaign during the time he's gone. I created a human fighter, mainly focusing on ranged and wanting to spec into Battlemaster. The issue I'm having is that I picked Chaotic Good and though I sort of have an idea as to how to RP the alignment, for the most part I don't.

How do I RP as Chaotic Good?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
>>
>>54430074
>>54430125
His dm videos aren't bad and can help newbies coming in. Other people are just better DMs, Chris Perkins especially but a few other Youtubers as well, Matt's games are just meh and it's disappointing.
>>
>>54430104
Don't go overboard with the second group. Don't make it a "psshhh... kiddd..." moment. If they have to fight right after a boss, don't make it lethal if they lose. Hurting their pride will be enough to piss them off.

Also, there's one good trick to piss players off as well: steal some shit from them with the opposing group's thief. Don't make it something powerful or important, just something. It could be like 100gp, and the party will be pissed off. Also, roll all the stealth checks for real, and give them a chance to prevent it so they won't feel cheated. But if they don't prevent it, they will have a legit reason to hate the other guys.
>>
>>54430109
>What other stat should I worry about, besides DEX?
Constitution is always a good stat to pump up, and wisdom will help with your scouting. It's also the most common saving throw in the game so it's not something you want to dump. If you had to pick one or the other, I'd take wisdom since your character probably won't be getting hit much anyway. Keep in mind that dex helps your initiative, AC, hits, and dex saves (second most common saving throw). That is your god stat.
>it would all be subjective encounters
Sounds like a neutral good to me.
>>
>>54430143
Welcome to DMing, enjoy your stay
>>
>>54429956
Hold ALT while scaling it iirc
>>
>>54430196
Great, all I needed to know. Thanks, my dude.
>>
>>54430185

Well, how do you define being chaotic?
How do you define being good?

Alignment shouldn't matter all too much, it mostly serves to give you an idea as to how you would lean when given a situation, not as a definitive trait that your character is built upon.
>>
>>54429956
You can remove the grid on roll20 if you're having too much trouble with it
>>
>>54430109
At least 16 DEX, at least 14 CON, leftover third is better on WIS.
INT is an almost literally useless stat so go ahead and dump it.
Hand Crossbow is the best ranged weapon in the game through the Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter interactions.
>>
>>54430082
38?
>>
So Eldritch Knight has a pretty high AC but how well do they deal when they need to make saving throws?
>>
File: building.png (188KB, 784x704px) Image search: [Google]
building.png
188KB, 784x704px
>>54430211
>>54430243

It's not that I don't like the grid, it's just that whenever I pick "Align to Grid", it wants me to draw a box the size of one of my grid pieces- seems fair, right? But then when I do that, suddenly the image of the map resizes to the entire screen and it's super blurry, zoomed in, and most of it is cut outside the perimeters of the roll20 grid. I guess I could resize the page on roll20, but if I make it any bigger I don't want it to run slow.

Am I doing something wrong? Is my map too small or something?

I know I'm fucking something up, because there's no way just getting the grid to align should be this complicated.
>>
>>54430329

If it's a con save or a strength save they should be fine.
>>
>>54430233
Okay, that makes more sense. I'd define good as always doing the right thing - not stealing nor killing the innocent, helping out others when placed in situations that allow me to do so.

Chaotic I'd say is even though you're good, you have your own way of doing things even if the rest of society wouldn't view your actions as such.

Thanks for the help!
>>
>>54430155
I've thought about doing this. Have any suggestions for a relatively cheap one?
>>
>>54429642
It's just because int and wis encompass so many different things, coming up with a plan, recalling information, telling if someone's lying, making sense of a complex situation, some of it is concretely in the domain of one of the stats but what isn't is just left up to players. If you have low int but are good at planning, there are plenty of ways to justify that, int as a stat does nothing relating to planning (there's not even an int fighter like warlord to connect that) so I don't see why one would limit a character based on those very abstract, loose stats.
>>
File: sandwich alignment.jpg (214KB, 1200x825px) Image search: [Google]
sandwich alignment.jpg
214KB, 1200x825px
What the fuck are you supposed to buy with gold in this game? At low levels you want to save up for better armor and casters will eventually need money for components, but beyond that having a huge amount of money (which will be true for all characters past a certain level unless the DM specifically doesn't give out monetary treasure) seems pretty worthless (or at least the things you can do with it like buy real estate are generally outside the scope of a D&D campaign). I know in 3.5 you needed that money to craft magic items but now that's not how magic items work.
>>
File: angery.png (90KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
angery.png
90KB, 500x339px
>>54429642
I feel that. Last game I was the charismatic warlock face with all the lies in the world spun in a perfect manner, able to deceive any guard I came across. My new wizard doesn't do it as well, and our new face is a bard whose IRL player has autism and can't pick up social cues for shit. I've never been more frustrated in rp situations than listening to a supposedly smooth bard stumble through 3 sentences to convince the guards we weren't the murderers of the woman we just found dead.
>>
>>54430699
Magic items are pretty expensive. Check the DMG and you'll change your mind when you see luxury items for 8,000 gp.
>>
Hopefully this isn't off topic. I want to convert a sorcerer spell from 4e to 5e; can any anon give me tips?

Stormy Emotions
Encounter Attack, Level 3
Standard Action
Close Burst 2 squares (10ft)
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d10 Cold and Lightning Damage and you can push the target 1 square & knock it prone.
>>
File: Enchantment Gems.png (1MB, 1936x4936px) Image search: [Google]
Enchantment Gems.png
1MB, 1936x4936px
One more time, do you think that these should work with magic items?
>>
>>54430356
Roll20 tiles are 70x70 by default, with the grid lines being part of those resolutions (the top and left sides of the tile). Your tiles, measured the same way, are 16x16. It's going to get blurry if you resize your map to be as large as Roll20's tiles.

If you wanted to use double the map size, what you do is open the page properties, and in the middle where it says
>Grid [] Enabled, Size 1 units
enter .457142857 for the size.

Now Roll20 is using tiles that are 31.99999999 units and you can stretch your map to be 2x. Getting tiles that are any smaller are going to make your tokens really shit looking.
If you want tiles that are 3x your map or 4x, the size multipliers are .6857 and .9142857

Otherwise, put your map in some image editor, shave the sides off, and resize it to multiples of 70.
>>
>>54430699
castles, airships, mercenary soldiers, land, rare magical items, rare collectables, houses, businesses. the list goes on.
>>
>>54430550
The one I have is one I inherited from my dad when he stopped practicing law, it's some old sony thing that barely holds the 4 hours of audio I need for a single session, so I can't make any recommendations. Make sure the one you pick up is omnidirectional, the one I inherited was basically intended for depositions so it's perfect. Don't pick up a "voice recorder" since those are meant to be held up to someone's face for an audio diary or journalism. Get something intended for business conferences instead.
>>
>>54425964

Life. If you're going to Cleric, Cleric as hard as you can.
>>
File: MARY JAAAAAAAAAANE.jpg (247KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
MARY JAAAAAAAAAANE.jpg
247KB, 1280x960px
>>54430810
That is a very appreciated, and very thorough explanation.

My players will have to deal with a slightly blurry map for this one encounter. After that, I guess I'll have to find a new mapmaker that doesn't make them so damn small. Fucking ANAmap. I thought I'd finally found a simple mapmaker that isn't a clusterfuck of features.
>>
>>54430793
>Choose a 5e spell level.
>use 5e appropriate spell damage, copy from other spells of that level. Maybe make it take the damage from one level lower because of the push and prone.
>make it scale like 5e spells.
>reflex save = Dex save
>sorcerer already has cha based dcs.
>write it with 5e formatting.

Easy.
>>
>>54430699
Without using gold for XP or magical items, it's left as a useless resource that GMs may make important now and then but is mostly just there to make you feel good. You can use it for stuff in the world of course, and there may be some magical items, spell scrolls, and other useful things to spend it on, but it's also unreliable when used for something combat-ish will skew the balance. Like in some games you will get plate from a single level 5 hoard, and in another you don't get plate until you loot it from a guy at level 8. It's just 1 AC, but I understand why they don't want to leave those things to the GM to balance.

>>54430747
There are no magic item emporiums, you can't buy magic items by default and in most games that is upheld.
>>
>>54429804
Bump?
>>
>>54430881
I still have Magic item shops, but limited selection in each one.

But yeah, gold isn't super important anymore once you have your basic gear
>>
>>54425964
I like Life, mostly because I get heal-y shit for free and can prepare more interesting spells.

The Tempest flying ability at L17 looks cool, but I doubt I'd ever play until L17
>>
>>54430699

Once you have enough to buy whatever mundane gear and consumables you might want, you stop buying equipment and start buying connections.
>>
File: roll20rpgmaker.png (2MB, 1503x761px) Image search: [Google]
roll20rpgmaker.png
2MB, 1503x761px
>>54430855
RPGMaker+GIMP is the patrician's mapmaker.
>>
>>54430861
I'm mostly worried about the dual elemental damage - how do I handle the "does Lightning & Cold damage" thing in 5e? Seperate dice rolls of both types?
>>
>>54431078
Nice FE portraits, been thinking of trying to make some for my groups even if none of them have played the series
>>
File: fullmap.png (345KB, 1120x600px) Image search: [Google]
fullmap.png
345KB, 1120x600px
>>54430855
I use davesmapper.com with some retouches in paint

>>54431078
that's actually a good idea
>>
>>54431083
Yes. When they decided Flamestrike needed to be Fire and Radiant instead of just Fire, they took its 8d6 (or whatever) and made it 4d6 Fire, 4d6 Radiant.
>but what about odd die rolls
You either make the spell more powerful, progress slower, or pick one to boost while the other stays.
>>
>>54425964
Knowledge.
>>
>>54431083
Yes.
>>
File: dndsprites.png (135KB, 688x738px) Image search: [Google]
dndsprites.png
135KB, 688x738px
>>54431123
I love my FE sprites. Making a new party's worth now.
>>
Anyone know where I can get some good tokens/icons/sprites/etc for various settings? an I don't mean to be crude the roll20 marketplace can fuck right off if you know what i mean.
>>
File: sfpro46_2x.gif (2KB, 128x160px) Image search: [Google]
sfpro46_2x.gif
2KB, 128x160px
>>54431160

That's actually a pretty nifty idea. I might use it, though I don't quite think I can swing FE levels of quality. I could try a simpler style, though.
>>
>>54428518
>Fair
You missed the point of lovecraftian content completely.

That said, lesser shoggoths, fleshy oozes they cannot kill, at best they can slow it down or if really creative with their destructive thinking, force it into dormancy.
>>
>>54431213
google should give you a few bigass packs of tokens in the first few results
>>
>>54425668
>druids planting
>druids not murdering farmers for enslaving animals
>druids not being PETA on steroids with magic
weak
>>
>>54431160
fuck man, i'm envious of your skill
>>
How would you nerf Elven Accuracy to be more in line with other feats that aren't weapon style feats a la PAM/GWM?
>>
>>54431400

Does it need to be nerfed? How is it in any way better than the bullshit Halfling feats?
>>
How can I tell whether being a Druid or a Nature Cleric is more right for my character?

This character in question is a reclusive prairie farmer, armed with a large sickle (maybe a scythe, even, but I'm not sure what to refluff). A brush fire destroyed his harvest and home, and he's convinced that the fire wasn't natural; he would've seen it coming otherwise. At least, he thinks he would have. The uncertainty gnaws at him.
>>
>>54431459
Reckless Attack
>>
>>54425766
oh this is fuckin good and so fuckin simple.
>>
File: spritestitching.png (41KB, 894x594px) Image search: [Google]
spritestitching.png
41KB, 894x594px
>>54431297
>>54431375
I barely do anything freehand, it's just stitching, recoloring, and slight edits of existing FE portraits.
>>
>>54431459
I thought it was regarded as pretty bullshit and I'd like to rebalance them for my players to use. Bountiful luck is easy to restrict the range of, and I'm not sure exactly how strong it is without seeing it in play. Having a second opinion on which feats are under- or overpowered would be nice though.
>>
File: accually.gif (11KB, 730x413px) Image search: [Google]
accually.gif
11KB, 730x413px
>>54431606
>>
>>54431619
GWM is so strong it shoehorns martials into using it.
Ditto Sharpshooter for ranged.

That's it. Trash feats are too many to list but those are the ones that cause problems.
>>
>>54431690
Specifically talking about racial feats, I've nerfed SS/GWM -5/+10 to once per attack action and buffed shield master and such already.
>>
>>54431589

Ok? If you used reckless attack you were most likely going to hit anyway, it's only increasing your chance to crit by a little over 4%

And if you're an elf barbarian that means you didn't get a racial bonus to STR
>>
>>54431572
Just pick the one you like more. Choosing a class doesn't have to be an exact science.

If you don't have a preference then, generally speaking, I imagine nature clerics are typically more civilized, communal and worship nature deities, while druids are reclusive, secretive and draw power from the forces of nature directly. But it could be the other way around if you wanted it.
>>
>>54431711
This UA that is.
>>
I had an idea for a campaign, just a small one, nothing too concrete. It draws heavily from The Man In The Iron Mask. The premise is that you're hired/forced by a High ranking official in [Insert Kingdom Here] to both assassinate the Prince and replace him with a Doppelganger/Other Shapeshifter so that he can use said replacement to grant himself more and more power in the Kingdom. The Doppelganger will be with you the entire time, and you must be sure to keep him safe while you go through with this assassination.

I'm no DM, and I know I'd be terrible at it. It may even be a stupid idea for a campaign. I'll run it by my current DM though and see if he's interested. Thought I'd share it with you guys.
>>
File: ysabelworking.png (213KB, 991x601px) Image search: [Google]
ysabelworking.png
213KB, 991x601px
>>54431606
Here's another one. Stitches of stitches of stitches of stitches.
>>
>>54425690
Martial arts are a form of meditation to bring you closer to your god.
>>
The whole rogue/druid thing earlier got me thinking, and that got me working.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1lTJj0S-

Let me know what you think of this draft.
>>
>>54431754
have you messed with the Fates or Awakening portraits before?
>>
>>54431774
>>54425690

Ya'll ever hear of Muscular Christianity?
>>
>>54431792
Sounds gay.
>>
File: dssprites.png (32KB, 544x242px) Image search: [Google]
dssprites.png
32KB, 544x242px
>>54431779
They're a little too high-res for my purposes. But others have brought them down to GBA style.
>>
File: SkinWalker.pdf (793KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
SkinWalker.pdf
793KB, 1x1px
>>54431775
In PDF form
>>
>>54425766
>Not Bard/Paladin
Be you angels?
Nay, we are but men.
>>
>>54431729

That may actuay convince me that Nature Cleric could be better for him - I know druidism is typically the more "wild" area, but I'm imagining consulting a holy book like a farmer's almanac, prayers of grace for the harvest, pleas of fertility for the crops, etc.

Animal sacrifice could even be brought into the mix, depending on the god.
>>
>>54431775
>If you also have druid levels, add your rogue and druid levels together to determine the forms you can assume. For example, a 3rd-level Rogue/3rd-level Druid would be able to assume the shape of any beast of CR 1/2 or less with no flying speed.
I feel like the rogue levels should be halved at least, the 9th level feature is a bit ridiculous but works IMO. I'd change skin-walker's terror from
>and is considered to have line of sight to you (and thus suffering disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls) regardless of where you are.
to
>and is still considered to have line of sight to you for the purposes of the Frightened condition if you are hidden from them.
or something idk, otherwise it's cool.
>>
>>54431734
Well that is an extremely evil thing to do so I doubt most players would do it.

In the Man with the iron mask, the musketeers wanted to replace the tyrannical incompetent king with his kind, generous and wise identical twin

See the difference?
>>
>>54431839
>wizard detected
>>
>>54431981
Thanks for the comments!
I was thinking of treating the rogue levels as 1/2 or 1/3 druid, but at the end it didn't make sense. Waiting until 16th level to assume flying form just didn't seem very fun, and it's not really broken at 8th level anyway (the wizard's been casting fly since 5th level).

As for Skin-Walker's Terror, I specifically worded it so that the same fear effect applies during the extended period after you're no longer there (i.e. the next day, and so forth). Does that change how you think about it?
>>
>>54431711
Why would you buff shield master?

What did you do?
>>
>>54431731
My friends and I changed it to be like Savage Attacker for ranged weapons

>Dex +1
>Once per turn when you roll damage for a ranged weapon attack, you can reroll the weapon’s damage dice and use either total.

It's not a good fix, but I hope you get some ideas from it.
>>
Would you let one of your players play a midget halfling and if so how tall would they be
>>
>>54427049
amazon link?
>>
>>54431982
I didn't clarify, my bad. It's inspired by it, not the same.

Also, this would be a campaign for evil aligned characters. I know the difference, I saw the movie too.
>>
>>54432123
I meant only for CR, yeah flying and swimming form restrictions shouldn't be harsher than they are already. I just think it's too good ATM for MCing into from moon druid without losing cr progression, even if you delay some good stuff earlier on.

>I specifically worded it so that the same fear effect applies during the extended period after you're no longer there (i.e. the next day, and so forth).
It ends when they save though, which is likely to happen within a minute let alone a day. The Frightened effect and being scared to tell others of you seem separate.
>>
File: lurmy.png (247KB, 400x557px) Image search: [Google]
lurmy.png
247KB, 400x557px
>>54426014
I once played a paladin who unknowingly worshiped an evil god, who later became possessed by said god in little tiny increments. Best warlock pally ever.
My PC was also one of theseeee guys
>>
>>54432147
From limited experience and other people's opinions, it seemed the weaker of the bunch (ignoring XBX and dual wielder which I've also buffed). I made the +shield ac to dex save apply to all dex saves, not just those targeting you, and I made the last thing full evasion instead of only reducing half to nothing.
>>
>>54432333
He later was captured and tortured by the priests of his order, and my dm let me drop all the levels and exchange them all for barbarian levels.
He then murdered the god on his secret moon base.
Man that was a great campaign.
>>
>>54432279
>moon druid
Oh no, skin-walker levels should only stack with regular Wild Shape, not the Moon Druid version, and should never get higher than CR 1. Since Combat Wild Shape is a separate feature that only the Moon Druid as, I think that currently it wouldn't stack with the Skin-Walker as it's written.
I was very aware (and weary) of the combat applications, and purposely designed the archetype to not be a beast in combat (pun intended).
>Every time it attempts to reveal information about you or any encounter in which it knows (or suspects) you were involved, it must roll a saving throw, becoming frightened as above on a failed save.
The intention is that the new Frightened condition is like the one previously described - i.e. does not require line of sight. Was that not clear enough?
>>
>>54431775
I think Skin-Walker's terror is a bit too specific in employment. I'd also argue that it doesn't really fit the flavor of the archetype either. Sneaking around transformed into an animal is well and good, but I think having the ability to curse someone is a bit of a stretch. Otherwise it's looking pretty solid.
>>
>>54432365
Right, my bad, that's fine then on both accounts, didn't read that part of skin-walker properly.
>>
I just let players take their turns in whatever order, as long as they all take one turn per round. We haven't rolled for initiative in a combat setting in ages. It's worked out.
>>
>>54432362
Barbadin and pallock both as a single character, that sounds amazing.
>>
>>54432476
Popcorn initiative is pretty good.
>>
>>54426950
I just put my junk and butt up on the scanner, hit scan, then hit print
>>
>>54432511
Are your players fine with such small dungeons?
>>
>>54432413
I was worried about that. It fits the flavor of the real myth of the skin-walker, but I think the issue is that it's too lore/fluff-specific, and doesn't work for most people who'd want to use the archetype (sneaky shapeshifters in general).
Back to the drawing board, then. Any suggestions for noncombat features?
>>
File: IMG_7574.jpg (28KB, 236x295px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7574.jpg
28KB, 236x295px
I'm rolling a Conclave of Beasts Ranger from the revised UA and had 2 questions.

1. Is Beast Bond worth taking over Hunters Mark?

2. Is it a good idea to multiclass into Druid if I want to up my spellcasting? If so, how should I go about that?
>>
>>54432483
It was a great campaign and my favorite character i've ever played. Would've been 100% perfect if it wasn't for a little IRL interpersonal conflict that kind of spoiled the mood of the whole thing.
>>
>>54432355
So you buffed the secondary reasons to take it, when its power lies in the bonus action advantage on all melee attacks?
>>
What are some good traps to put in a maze? I know this sounds like an obvious question but all I seem to find on Google is minecraft stuff.
>>
>>54432535
Maybe something that allows for communication with other animals. Roll an animal handling check (with disadvantage if the animal hostile toward you) and on a success it regards you as a friendly acquaintance. If it is already friendly then maybe you can make the same check to charm it.
>>
>>54432583
Yes, as I said, that is exactly what I did. Why do you ask?
>>
File: 1500086950774.png (327KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1500086950774.png
327KB, 600x900px
>>54432601

You could put this one in your maze
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 332x443px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 332x443px
I'm trying to work out how to save the two handed crossbow expertise build post errata reloading rules.

Previously you carried two crossbows in each hand and not worry about how you got the fresh bolts. Now you explicitly need one hand free to reload.

So under the current rules I think you can still fire, reload, draw another loaded cross then fire both crossbows with your second attack and bonus action, then drop a crossbow reload and repeat for the next round.

You'll have to be carrying tons of extra crossbows but it seems aboveboard and I like the visual image of covering yourself in crossbows.
>>
Newbie GM here looking for a pre-made adventure to get my feet wet. I downloaded the Princes of the Apocalypse campaign and it looks really well fleshed out. Do you guys have any other recommendations?
>>
>>54428518
Make them have a shitty AC, and bring the HP down to 20-30 max, if you want you could say it was wounded in some ritual, or just nerf it without explanation.

Bring the + to hit down to 5 or less, and nerf the damage so it can't 1 shot a fighter.

Maybe flavor wise you could explain it as it being a young mind flayer that the cultists kidnapper, but that is really up to you.
>>
>>54432651
You can literally just shoot one crossbow twice.
>>
>>54432543
Beast Bond might be good but be careful about the intelligence failure thingo
>>
>>54432654
Lost Mine of Phandelver is a great starter.

Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury in Tales from the Yawning Portal are also great starts.
>>
>>54432601
Runes inscribed on the wall that, when set off by a specific trigger, cast (insert spell) centered on the person or object that set it off
>>
File: Sensible Chuckle.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Sensible Chuckle.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>>54432651
Oh anon, sweet sweet anon. You really tried too.
>>
>>54432601

My favorite classic is the see-saw floor.

Imagine a floor balanced on a block, so one half of it is supported and the other isn't. Crossing onto the second half tips the weight and dumps those on it down a pit or onto fire or spikes or whatever.

Gotta improvise counterweights or use ropes to cross safely.
>>
>>54432601
Less "traps" and more "tricky monsters that can surprise a careless party":
* Gelatinous cubes
* Mimics. Treasure-chest mimics are overdone. Make a door mimic. When the rogue tries to pick the lock BAM pseudopod in the face
* If the maze is in a naturally-occurring underground area, ropers
>>
>>54432726
>Mimics. Treasure-chest mimics are overdone. Make a door mimic. When the rogue tries to pick the lock BAM pseudopod in the face+

And the Mimic gets sneak attack damage.
>>
>>54432670
Thanks for that, anon.
>>
File: 1427_3_full.jpg (43KB, 358x599px) Image search: [Google]
1427_3_full.jpg
43KB, 358x599px
>>54432765
>rogue gets sneak attacked
How deliciously ironic!
>>
File: CoD_Manga_Trevor.jpg (72KB, 429x600px) Image search: [Google]
CoD_Manga_Trevor.jpg
72KB, 429x600px
Alright, I completely fucked up and my build thus far is pointless because whips aren't Light weapons like I thought they were.

I need a character for a thing tomorrow, these are my stats I rolls, suggestions? Assign as deemed fit. Current party is a Swashbuckler, Life Cleric, unknown-circle Druid, and an unknown other player.

>>
>>54432724
My favourite rooms are tilting floor ones, because even the rogue fucks up on dex saves and eats shit. At one point the room got violently tilted enough times that one of the characters puked.

>>54432601
Suspend a key above a table or something you can stand on to grab it. Make that table a mimic.
>>
>>54432664
Yes but I want to attack three times. Frist attack, second attack and bonus attack.

Hmmm.... Crossbow expert Says if you make an attack action with a one handed weapon you are holding, you can also attack as a bonus action with hand crossbow you're holding.

The wording of implies you need to be holding two weapon to do, such as another hand crossbow, but now that I think about there is no reason why you just can't count the same crossbow twice for it.

You can just made an attack with a hand crossbow reload and then use your bonus action to attack again.
>>
>>54432833
Play your old build, but take Dual-Wielder eventually. Now you can dual-wield them.
>>
>>54432851
The key is also a mimic.
>>
>>54432833
Make a variant human and take dual wielder at level 1 and you can stick with your original build
>>
>>54432601
google Grimtooth's Traps for dickass ones.
>>
>>54432872
I was gonna be using a whip and shortsword for style points, we'll be starting at level 5.
The original idea was a DEX build whip-and-shortsword Monster Hunter fighter that totally wasn't a Belmont
>>54432901
I was gonna take Martial Adept at level 1 because I was already VHuman.

Would Duel Wielder be worth it in this case if I were to forsake my ASI getting me to +4 DEX for a level?
>>
>>54432921
Yeah I'd take the Feat. Also I'd go Whip+Rapier just for the boost in damage.
>>
>>54432865
That is how it works, and why ranged is so good for rogues.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 298x494px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 298x494px
>>54432721
What did I miss?
>>
>>54432921
Did you already have a class in mind? If not, you can take paladin for the martial weapon proficiency. If you do that, you can also smite twice per turn with reach.
>>
>>54432950
Damn I want to so much trouble. Went and spent all my money on crossbows aswell, oh well at least I have a ton of back up.
>>
>>54432921
Dual. Dual Wielder. I totally didn't make that basic-ass mistake.
>>54432936
I didn't even think of that either. This is more for style points, but I think I can worm my way in to starting with a rapier as well. Cheers!
>>54433009
Like I said, Monster Hunter Fighter. The problem was the Light weapon property, not martial. Tempting as it may be I don't see my off-brand Belmont to be a proper spellcaster like that.
>>
Is a Fighter 1/Evocation Wizard X a dumb idea? I like the idea of a Battlemage in heavy armour.

Maybe I'll end up with another level in Fighter for Action Surge. Also probably use GFB as my main attack option.
>>
File: dual wielder.png (13KB, 856x163px) Image search: [Google]
dual wielder.png
13KB, 856x163px
>>54433044
If you take dual wielder the light property doesn't matter. Fighters also have martial weapon proficiency so I'm not seeing your problem
>>
>>54432646
>>54432696
>>54432724
>>54432726
>>54432851
>>54432910
Thanks Everyone. The Seesaw Floor looks really cool. I wish I had known about Grimtooth's Traps when I started.
>>
I'm a moron who is trying to read through this handbook.

What in all holy hell are hit dice? Do you roll them when you level to determine your new total potential health? Do you expend them and then they're gone forever? Or is it just what dice, and how many, you roll whenever you're resting for a free self-heal?
>>
>>54433183
You use them during short rests to heal
>>
>>54433183
They're scattered about, but basically:
- You gain a hit die each time you level in a class. The size is determined by the class and it determines how much HP you get (or can get, if you choose to roll) at that level up.
- On a short rest, you can spend hit dice to heal. You roll a single hit die, add your Constitution modifier, and heal that much, spending them individually as many as you have, so long as you have them.
- After a long rest, you regain half of your maximum hit dice back if you've spent any (minimum 1), so you can use them on short rests in the future.
>>
>>54425357
>https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/
mega is down?
>>
>>54433183
All of the above (well apart and from them being gone forever) when you level you get a new one would you roll and added to your maximum total HP, when you take a rest you roll and expend them to get health back.

They also come up in a few odd places like sleep spells but that's about it
>>
>>54433211
>it determines how much HP you get (or can get, if you choose to roll) at that level up
You lost me right there. So it raises your permanent maximum health or not? Or is it literally just a free heal that recharges on long rest?

>>54433240
Let me get this straight: When you level up, you get a new hit die. You roll that hit die to determine how much your maximum, permanent health increases. Then, from then on, you can use that die as basically an Estus Flask during short rests, and it recharges on long rests?
>>
Where do I begin to set up a campaign where the players are cops, all Paladins, fighters, city watch/investigator backgrounds?
>>
File: 1500479157707.jpg (25KB, 448x516px) Image search: [Google]
1500479157707.jpg
25KB, 448x516px
Can Alter Self in 5e be used to disguise as undead?

No breathing, skin cold to the touch.
>>
>>54432865

The key is that a Hand Crossbow is a one-handed weapon, so it can make all the attacks.
>>
>>54433277
The city council decided to set up a task force to hunt down a group of cultists that have rooted themselves in the city's community. This task force is the party
>>
>>54433272
>Let me get this straight: When you level up, you get a new hit die. You roll that hit die to determine how much your maximum, permanent health increases. Then, from then on, you can use that die as basically an Estus Flask during short rests, and it recharges on long rests?
Yes. For example, if you gain a level as a Bard, you roll a d8 to determine how much your maximum HP goes up by (plus your CON modifier). You can also just take the average roll (rounded up, so 5 in this case) so you can't get fucked by rolling a 1.
>>
>>54433277
They start in their boss's office getting chewed out for their incompetence.
>>
>>54433150
Cleric is better if all you want is armor+shield. That way you don't lose spell slot progression.

Fighter 2 for Action Surge is decent. CON proficiency is good.

However, you *do not* want to get in melee with this. You're still a wizard. Your job is to cast spells, not swing a weapon. It'll be ineffective and you'll look dumb.

If you want to gish there are many other, much, much better options.
>>
>>54433344
Okay, thank you. The book did a very poor job of explaining that. Or maybe I'm an idiot.

Secondary question, where in the book is the preset module? I'm under the impression there's usually a premade starting adventure to get your feet wet as DM/Players.
>>
>>54433281
I'd allow it.
>>
>>54433376
Check out Lost Mines of Phanwhatever. It's in the trove.
>>
>>54433373
I don't want to gish, I just want to replace using Firebolt with GFB/BB when appropriate.
>>
>>54433399
Sounds like you'd be better off taking Warlock 2/ Fighter X for eldritch blast and short rest spell slots
>>
>>54433399
But there is never going to be an appropriate moment to do it; if enemies get in your face you're going to to use a melee-range/aoe spell or Shocking Grasp and walk away.

GFB/BB require weapon attacks, and they're going to be inferior to your spellcasting stat, and as you're a Wizard you're going to have multiple better options than a weapon attack.
>>
>>54432724
>>54432851
>>54433178

Bonus for the see-saw trap: have there be a locked door at the other end of the tilting floor. The key to it is suspended very high up on the opposite end of the room - it can only be reached by tilting the room as far as it can go and then climbing up.

Or the druid shapeshifts into a giraffe or bird, or the barbarian tries to throw the halfling at it, or the wizard has some spell to get it down...I love traps/puzzles like this most of all because there's so many solutions.
>>
Can you guys tell me about creative uses for polymorph that you've seen used? I'm a still fairly new player and only got the spell today after our session.
>>
>>54433462
>Wants to use GFB/BB cantrips and be a mostly a caster
>Suggest he plays a Warlock 2/Fighter X for EB

Did you even read what he wanted?

>>54433493
I dunno, swapping the flat d10 damage of Firebolt for even d8+3 is much better for damage. Also the Weapon Cantrips do carry ways to do even more damage under certain conditions. In exchange for what? +1 Attack? I'd say they can be worth it if built right.
>>
>>54433398

Am I missing the part with preset characters in this? Or are you supposed to make your own, even with this module?
>>
>>54433511
Turn your melee DPS into Huge (or gargantuan with Brontosaurus in Volvo's) sized beasts that do a shitload of damage.
>>
>>54433525
+3 to attack.

Maybe +2 if you're an elf?

But the problem here is that you're a Wizard. Not only are you wasting your spellcasting ability, you're actively compromising it by intentionally getting into melee with your d6 HP, concentration-reliant ass.

You asked if it's a dumb idea? The answer is that it is. Clerics can do this shit. Wizards? Not so much, because even the best ones at it (Bladesingers) are better off just acting as Wizards by hanging back and casting spells rather than swinging a weapon and pretending they're dealing meaningful damage.
>>
>give everyone a free racial feat at level 1
>unless you take variant human

good idea or not?
>>
>>54433698
Why would anyone go human then?
>>
>>54433698
well, you should probably give variant human some small boost in that case
either way, i'm a big fan of giving everyone a feat at level 1
>>
>>54433638

Well that is one thing but hardly creative. So far I thought up that, turning an enemy into a rat and having my bat familiar pick it up and fly for falling damage. Turning my familiar into a large beast to provide partial cover. That's all I really got though. And granted, they're all combat uses only.
>>
Dexterity is too strong of an ability score that needs some of it's effects to be shifted into others, or there needs to be more monsters that target stats that aren't dex for saving throws
>>
>>54433726
Everyone gets a free feat at level 1. Human gets a +2, 2 +1's, and human determination as a feature. Too much, or too little?
>>
>>54433736
just be open and aware what you can morph shit into, polymorph is a super situation dependent spell so it's kinda hard to just make up random cool shit to do
>>
Any way to make a Warlock/Cleric multiclass not trash? Want to play a priest who made a desperate bargain with an Old One's servant when the ship he was traveling on capsized.
>>
>>54433757
I would give +2/+1, but I don't think it's too broken. Much better than vanilla humans at least, which are both awful afaic. I have subraces of different cultures but for a generic human your treatment would work.
>>
>>54433638
>It's a your wizard turns you into a dinosaur and you can't play your character encounter
>"I'm gonna resist that"
>"wtf man you made me waste a spell slot"
>>
>>54433158
My issue was I wasn't sure if I could afford to pick up two feats in a row and forsake my 18 DEX at level 4.
>>54433277
Don't forget the Inquisitive/Mastermind/Maybe even Scout(?) Rogue and the Spy, Faction Agent, and maybe the Soldier backgrounds? Possibly even Bounty Hunter for hired help or "loose cannon" shit
>>
>>54433928
Subraces/Cultures are a more fun approach, although I don't know how I'd represent them very well.
>>
>>54433706

humans get a wider variety of feats than everyone else
>>
>>54433376
>Okay, thank you. The book did a very poor job of explaining that. Or maybe I'm an idiot.

Nah, it's not as bad as it was in the TSR days but there's a tonne of shit that's probably worded and explained. Especially to newcomers who have never heard of phases like "hit dice" and the like.

Fourth Edion was better expanded and edited in my humble opinion. No that it didn't have it's only problems, but it was more clear will it's rules.
>>
We've been playing for about six months now, and the game has gone from goofy and aimless to the DM asking "what do your characters want in this world?" and similar questions. I kind of want to write a backstory to give to him. How long should it be?
>>
>>54429768
>boys came over and we finally made characters
>Bard, Druid, Rogue, ranger Fighter (me)
>I'm the only one with an 18 in any skill
>tfw 18 dex
>tfw gonna carry the team on my back
We're all fuckin' pumped to play, starting Saturday.
>>
File: sario.png (37KB, 749x428px) Image search: [Google]
sario.png
37KB, 749x428px
>>54434268
>>
>>54429219
In combat, fiend has the best spells and abilities (other than maybe invoactions, never read those). Old one does have some cool out of combat abilities though.
>>
>>54434302
Aw, RIP in peace Linkin Park guy :'(
>>
>>54434302
If you hand in a physical paper try to paper mache it into a mobius strip. Have the story loop.

Infinite backstory.
>>
>>54434405
Shit Wrong Person.
>>54434268
>>54434268
>>
How do I point buy or standard array a tiefling paladin
>>
>>54425357
Barbarian / Wizard (Blade singer)
What's scarier then an angry beefy wizard?
>>
New thread
>>54434468
>>54434468
>>54434468
>>
>>54430002
a net
>>
>>54426194
Remember that hit points are not meat points; they are an abstraction of stamina and ability to avoid harm. Use the variant rule that allow hit dice to be used something like healing surges. Introduce alchemical products, be they inhalable, injectable, or consumable that allow people to feel revitalized and either expend their hd with minor bonuses or restore a lost hd.
>>
>>54429916

That's exactly how I got into D&D. Make sure you actually want to DM instead of just play D&D at all, otherwise it will burn out and probably not be very fun for you.

I personally have to get high as a kite to DM, it's awful if I'm not high.
Thread posts: 392
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.