[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic Physics And Willing Suspension of Disbelief

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: MagicAIsMagicA_7655.png (40KB, 292x224px) Image search: [Google]
MagicAIsMagicA_7655.png
40KB, 292x224px
Magic and the laws of physics do not get along with each other very well. Classic examples are things like Fire Elementals which, as someone put it, shouldn't count as fire is a chemical reaction and not an element.

Of course you can state that in a given fantasy setting our laws of physics do not apply, a common approach. I am looking for something different.

For world building I am trying to create some rules of magic which would not violate the willing sense of disbelief to much in a world that runs on our laws of physics with magic as an additional available energy source. Also magic is unable to think, you have to know what you are doing.

On the power scale I am looking for a lower level, more DSA then DnD.

Examples of things which should not exist:
Creating matter out of nowhere.(Creating something like a sword for example would take an amount of energy which could blow up a city)

No shape shifting (Where does the mass go/come from?)

Things I have come up with so far:
Illusions, creating light from energy.

Mental effects, influencing/controlling the mind of an entity.

Direct use of magic energy as blasts and force fields.

Anyone willing to help me out?
I would also welcome a discussion about "classic" uses of magic and what kind of energy and knowledge that would actually require.
>>
>>54413433
>Classic examples are things like Fire Elementals which, as someone put it, shouldn't count as fire is a chemical reaction and not an element.
Sure it is. Air, earth, fire and water. It's not magic's fault if some universe with a completely different set of physical laws has fire be a chemical reaction between elements instead of an element in its own right. Your problem isn't that magic and the laws of physics don't get along, it's that you're expecting a universe with demonstrably different physical laws (as evidenced by the fact that magic works) to play by the rules of our universe.
>>
>>54413433
Fire Elementals could absolutely exist, just as a misnomer, since a construct could be created out of flammable materials. 'Brimstone and whale oil construct' just doesn't have the same ring to it.

The whole premise of magic, as I've understood it, is that a good mage can create energy, but a GREAT one can create matter. Inversely, a dark mage can destroy energy, and a PURE FUCKING EVIL one can destroy matter. Something of a yin and yang effect.

Since you're going for a scaled down world of magic, the two higher tiers will be chopped off. Even so, if it's going to follow the laws of physics, we'll have to establish where the energy is coming that they are using to perform their actions? Is it seeded in the world? Is magic the ultimate potential energy? Is it internal to the user? Perhaps something in between?
>>
Magic as technology-less science.

Magic can be used to perform any feat that is capable through technology and a modern understanding of physics, without the technology bit.

Then just hope Nasu doesn't sue.
>>
The hell? Isn't magic *supposed* to be the bending of natural laws and the warping of reality? What is the problem here exactly?
>>
>>54416630
He's wanting a form of magic that is a natural force within a game world that allows for numerous feats and abilities beyond the human norm, that however do not blatantly violate the established laws of physics.

Basically he wants a form of magic that can pretend to be psionic or scientific, even though its not entirely.
>>
science has only the faintest grasp of how our non-fictional universe works, and more than likely there are some rules that are just innate and inexplicable, much like the magical rules of fantasy games

that being said, what you're describing sounds more like blurry chemistry and ESP, which is more fitting to a low tech sci-fi than a "magic" setting

might as well just incorporate mass effect and call it a day
>>
File: a47.jpg (77KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
a47.jpg
77KB, 720x479px
>>54416590
>Magic can be used to perform any feat that is capable through technology and a modern understanding of physics, without the technology bit.
There was a venture brothers episode about that:
https://youtu.be/1hfGEdw03sw?t=94
>>
>>54413433
>No shape shifting (Where does the mass go/come from?)
Reagents!
Wouldn't be a cool concept for mages to carry around a giant block of metal so that they can transmute it into their skin, reinforcing vital parts in combat?
I think it works better so long as the user is adding, not subtracting. There could even be a taboo within the world of "taking away" your natural mass, in a similar vein to full metal alchemist
>>
Play Numenera, set a billion years in the future. Magic is 'sufficiently advanced' tech.
>>
>>54413433
>Classic examples are things like Fire Elementals which, as someone put it, shouldn't count as fire is a chemical reaction and not an element.
This is demonstrably incorrect, as they are elementals.
>>
>>54416630
>Isn't magic *supposed* to be the bending of natural laws and the warping of reality?
Why is this always the go to answer, when the more obvious line of thought, to me at least, is that they would know fuck-all about their reality and how it actually, really functions? Who the fuck even says something like that *without* being fucking omniscient or close to it?
>>
File: image.gif (49KB, 557x596px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
49KB, 557x596px
>>54413433
>Magic and the laws of physics do not get along with each other very well.
I think it gets rather good along. Magic is more like hacking the rules of physics and tapping into dark matter.
>>
>>54413433
typically it's explained as either a hidden power source or manipulation of existing elements (think of FMA "alchemy")

both of those are disappointing and explaining magic doesn't improve it. go the other way. explain everything else then give someone a magical ability that blatantly contradicts all of that. give it its own logic. later, show that to be completely mistaken, as well.

if you explained it, it wouldn't be magic.
>>
>>54416630
Actually, that's rarely the case. Most historical beliefs in "magic" were thought to be as natural as anything we would call science, they just didn't know yet that things didn't really work that way.
>>
Check out The Name of the Wind.

The Sympathetic Magic (not necessarily the practice of Naming) is really just about using your mind to connect two or more objects, entangling their properties and transferring energy between them.
>>
>>54416732
This.

Thanks to anyone who replied in a constructive way.

Another example of magical effects with semi-plausible explanations I am looking for:

Necromancy:
Zombies yes. Freshly deceased corpses can be animated. Magic energy is used to move the zombies muscles. Zombies need to be preserved from rot, otherwise the energy needed keeps rising while the zombie gets less and less capable.

Undead Skeletons are impossible/inefficient as hell. Bones cannot move on their own after all, everything would have to be compensated by magical energy.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.