[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Representing MtG mechanics in RPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: gtc-223-pit-fight.jpg (286KB, 672x936px) Image search: [Google]
gtc-223-pit-fight.jpg
286KB, 672x936px
So I had a thought on my way back from the store /tg/ - I play MtG, I play RPGs, is there a way to combine them?
My original thought was "Fight" spells as a fighter/barbarian power where they could somehow do an instantaneous duel with their chosen opponent, with each dealing damage equal to their STR score (or STR mod) multiplied by a certain amount to the other, (plus weapon damage) which makes STR even more useful for classes that more or less "have" to have a high STR score anyways and makes martials more able to bully mages and other squishies.
>>
>>54393064
As a desperate attempt to save the thread, I've also considered - if Casters weren't already hideously powerful, a cool way to represent Extort could be to, as a cleric (because the Orzhov) casts a spell, they may spend another spell slot and drain a foe for some amount of life proportional to the spell slot used, or maybe a fixed amount.
>>
As much as I like the idea of RPGing MtG, the main problem with something like this is that it's difficult to justify a martial to be able to "magically" force a caster into a melee, barring options like mage hunter or honorbinding that effectively do the same thing. Caster abilities like the aforementioned Extort would most likely be a necromancy-based metamagic.

Perhaps the question is too vague, are you looking to make cards into abilities that characters could "cast", or are you trying to make abilities based off of keywords that particular archetypes/classes can "activate"? It would be difficult to have a way to "grant" someone "First Strike" mid-combat, but giving them an initiative bonus at the start of combat could feasibly emulate it.
>>
>>54395451
>Difficult to justify a martial forcing a caster into melee
I dunno, it could be fluffed so many interesting ways, and if you're willing to let fighters also bend reality a bit, I find it's a pretty good way to at least somewhat let them even the playing field.

I do agree the question is a bit too vague. I agree First Strike would likely be an initiative bonus, although so would vigilance too, I guess? Double Strike meanwhile would be an extra attack I reckon.

Flying would be kinda problematic, I'll admit, when I think about it, unless you also include Reach.

But at the same time, stuff like Evolve (gaining strength in response to others being strong or tough), Overload, Bushido, Ninjutsu, Hexproof, Shroud, Indestructible (the until EoT version at least), blinking and so on really tickles my fancy, same with Green "Punch" spells like Clear Shot or Moonlight Hunt.
>>
Flying works like totem of the eagle
You gain flying until end of turn...
Reach is just a bonus to hit flyers...
Menace and trample seem hard to differenate though.
And intimidate is well intimidate.
>>
>>54396247
Vigilance would probably be more like a "cannot be tripped" passive. Reach is sort of already most ranged attacks, though it'd need to be fluffed around specifically countering flying things in the context of the user. Not every archer has Reach after all.

The difficulty with adapting with some abilities is how much they overlap with pre-existing stuff, or simply being either too broken for "regular" play or not really relevant for combat. Evolve would need to be tweaked super hard into something along the lines of "whenever a creature with a base stat higher than [user's] stat attacks/hits/interacts, increase [stat, as determined by creature's highest higher stat] by one". Something like Haste already has spells named after it, and would just be a worse First Strike if you try to keep to the effect and make it a start-of-combat initiative booster that "wears off" after the first round. "Punch" spells would most likely be more extra attack effects.

To continue listing ideas for the sake of ideas:
>Bushido
Stat of choice is boosted by X until the end of combat, cannot be used outside of combat
>Ninjutsu
On successful hit, you forgo calculating/rolling damage to let a nearby creature inflict damage to the target?
>Hexproof/Shroud
User cannot be selected to be affected by enemy/allied spells, arguably the most broken in a magical setting.
>Overload
You can cast this spell once for every hostile creature and use an equal reserve of casting for each target (can lead to a sort of burnout targeting too many enemies)
>Indestructible
Cannot lose health/hitpoints, but can otherwise still be "hit" and be affected by on-hit effects, like poison draining a stat. Can still "die" to having a stat drained so hard they just don't have health anymore.
>blinking
Target disappears for one turn/round, magical equipment falls off when they reappear?
>>
>>54396814
Wouldn't Trample be some sort of Cleave-type effect?
>>
>>54397277
I thought splash damage but w/e.
>>
>>54396814
Menace would need to be some kind of odd fear effect that only works if you don't have an ally within a certain close-ish distance.
>>54397277
>>54397293
I'd pin Trample along the lines of if you do enough damage to kill something, then any damage overflow gets dished out to another enemy within reasonable range.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.