[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fantasy World Manager

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: 256.png (17KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
256.png
17KB, 256x256px
This software helps fantasy world builders manage their fantasy worlds, while keeping it entirely on their own hard drives, and in their own hands. It is designed as a dungeon master aid, and it focuses on things typically found in fantasy rpg worlds. The four main entities it tracks are Npcs, Gods, Regions, and Events. You can use this tool to track relationships between the different parts of your world in a rather zippy manner, and if you don't have enough information on the default screen just throw it into the statblock. If that still isn't enough for you, don't let labels confine you (Npcs are very similar to Items,) so use it in a way that makes sense to you! It is your fantasy world after all.

Because this application is a dungeon master tool it comes with easy ways to show players your fantasy world, every major object can be shown to the players through a second monitor facing the players, or connecting a different device to this computer through a IP adress after starting the web service. Additionally, You can move your worlds around on a hard drive with the software, so if you need to DM at another person's PC all of your information is still right where you left it, along with the application. This should not slow down your gameplay, and keeping track of information with this tool means that you shouldn't forget it by the time next session rolls around, not because your memory is so good, but because you wrote it down and it is on your screen again.

We hope that you enjoy using our software!

https://github.com/ForJ-Latech/fwm/blob/master/README.md
>>
File: s0364752_sc7.jpg (34KB, 330x250px) Image search: [Google]
s0364752_sc7.jpg
34KB, 330x250px
>>54377659
This piece of hardware does all of that and more for less than a buck.
>>
>>54377659
Looks like a fun and useful tool. Though we're probably going to scream "Shill" for the rest of the thread.
>>
>Java

Please no.

All I want is some kind of dungeon/hex mapping tool that doesn't feel 10 years out of date.
>>
>>54377694
You're right, but I had the habit of slowly working forwards in the notebooks, and notebooks don't link around the same way that a hyper link esque thing does. But no the notebook will always be one of the best things for creating fantasy worlds, and we're not trying to replace it.

We're trying to augment it.
>>
File: java_meme.jpg (29KB, 600x344px) Image search: [Google]
java_meme.jpg
29KB, 600x344px
>>54377738
Java is the worst, but it was one of the few common languages that we were required to learn. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hex mapping tools are all cancer.
>>
>>54377731
> "Shill"
> GPLv3
>>
Um, it looks neat and all, but I can't find a way to delete created worlds
>>
>>54378061
Go into the worlds folder in your file browser, and delete the world... It's just a folder.

^.^
>>
>>54378103
Right.
I'd also suggest some place to put details about the whole world in general, like huge overview stuff. I guess you could just make one region that's a super region to all the others, but it'd probably be neat if, when you made a world, it defaulted to adding that in for you or something.
>>
I downloaded the beta, but I can't seem to do anything in it. The create buttons don't do anything.
>>
Does the shortcuts work at least? try ctrl-n or ctrl-r
>>
>>54378298
They don't actually create anything until you type in a name for it. (Which is probably strange behavior, OP should probably just give it a default name of New (type) followed by a number)
>>
>>54378203
Not a bad idea, and it's what I've been doing in practice for my own home settings. We left out a good lot of functionality when creating it because of time constraints. The development will not be quick for anything added beyond this point. And after tonight some better ideas might arise.

>>54378298
The java is working, so that's good, but you might need to post the log up somewhere so that we can see what's going wrong. Or you might need to launch the application from command line and see if any stacktraces are flooding your console.
>>
Mainly because we couldn't decide on a default and it is still a required field for the object to be able to found again once it is made.
>>
>>54378380
Because it saves after every keystroke we made it so that if it wasn't named you didn't need it (as there would be no way to find it again, and it would just sit in the database). There is a super useful hotkey that focuses on the name though, which is by default alt + n. So after you create something alt + n and name it.
>>
Another thing, when I designate a region as a super-region or sub-region to another, it isn't automatically mutual. Which might be intended, but is still kinda annoying. It'd also be neat if you could see nested subregions in a larger region's relations (say, you have a continent with a region of the continent defined, and a town as a sub-region to that region, you could see on the continent's tab that the town was a sub-sub-region)
>>
>>54377659
I can see how this might be useful if you're sharing stuff with players or other DMs.
>>
>>54378490
Did you refresh the object =P
>>
>>54378490
Time constraints my friend, the issue that you are having is that the object has not yet reloaded so it does not realize that it is related. If you close the super region and re open it, it should work.

We wanted to have the whole tree down showing up, but that was the most complex part of our entire application and it did not get finished, we couldn't even devote development time to it, this was built in 2.5 months.
>>
Yeah eventually refresh methods need to be added in to say the least xd
>>
>>54378574
I 100% agree with you. That was the 2nd biggest pain in the ass that we had while developing, and we had the stubs written, but they weren't up to the standard. You should open up this as an issue / enhancement on the github.
>>
>>54378545
Ahhh, I see that. Got it. And sorry for making all these annoying feature requests.

Hmm... this shit's open source, right? I'm pretty godawful at coding, but I DO have a lot of free time.
>>
>>54378621
Not annoying at all, it's part of the reason we decided to start posting it in some places
>>
>>54378621
It is the most communism license possible, you could fork it for your improvements if you wanted. Or fix it and make a merge request. But be warned some of this was written by people in your position right now. (GODAWFUL at coding, with moderate freetime because college.)

You might make me update the contributing.md though XD.
>>
>>54378674
But seriously though, please open the issue, that why when I do have free time I can get around to it and fix it. Or someone can get around to it and fix it, because it has been noted.
>>
I do a lot of complex worldbuilding, so I can see how this tool can be useful. It's basically like making a wiki, but instead of using templates it allows you to easily interconnect subjects.

That said, I'm a little confused as to how images work. How do I make maps? How do I display maps?
>>
>>54378720
We didn't make a map builder do to it being done rather thoroughly elsewhere, however images can be put in in the top right corner and displayed using the show functionality or the web interface.
>>
>>54378720
Oh and we do have a sort of sudo templating system for random creation of npc's. It's an option at the top
>>
>>54378745
If I upload a map that I have into it, does it look full-sized to players?
>>
>>54378794
It should look as large as it can, we didn't compress anything. But it will in most cases try to fit the size of the screen that it is being presented on.
>>
>>54378764
I mean like on 1d4chan when you make a bunch of pages related to one another you add a template tag or something to the bottom to link them together. It's cumbersome and it doesn't really tell you enough about the link to let other people know why its related.
>>
>>54378834
Ah I see what you mean by templating, I haven't messed much with other systems so i wasn't sure what you meant there
>>
>>54378834
We don't have something like that, the closest you can get is by giving the npcs / gods the same last name / pantheon. Otherwise it is sort of obvious why the things are related. So you can't really relate things in bulk. The templating we have is so that you can generate new pseudo random NPCs (based on information that you have already entered.)
>>
How secure is running the web application?
>>
>>54378908
There is no post data, nothing can get onto your server. It should be cleaning the strings for lookups so that there is no potential for sql injection. Even then the SQL system we use is pretty obscure so good luck corrupting that. (it connects to the computer through a memory pipe inside of java, so already inside a virtual machine).

tl;dr very secure.
>>
>>54378908
It's also running on LAN so unless you are posting the IP everywhere, or leaving it on for months it should never be attacked.
>>
>>54377659
What's the endgame here?
>>
>>54379541
Endgame?

I actually use this myself, and one of my professors told me not to let this die because he loved our demo and the idea behind it. So we're not letting it just die (he was a very motivating professor.)

Otherwise? An active open source application looks terrific on a resume, for those of us who worked on it and still don't have jobs. However most of the people who put meaningful work into the application already got hired, so I guess that's a good problem?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.