[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are so many people so angry about non traditional fantasy races?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 36

File: sp0110.jpg (990KB, 2339x1654px) Image search: [Google]
sp0110.jpg
990KB, 2339x1654px
Why are so many people so angry about non traditional fantasy races?
>>
>>54371320
They are snowflake bait.
>>
>>54371351
Yeah how dare anyone try to do something original? Everyone should ape tolkien elves and dorfs forever.
>>
Backlash against memes that they never actually encountered in real life and if they did they didn't know how to handle.
>>
>>54371386
Just because something is original doesn't mean it's good.
>>
>>54371320
Cute pic.
>>
>>54371434
The same applies for something not original. If quality is really the factor, as it always should, then there's no point in banning race choices. A bad player will be bad even when playing a human fighter.
>>
>>54371320
That armor is fucking stupid.
>>
>>54371555
Please don't change the subject. This isn't about bad roleplayers being bad. It's about poorly designed races, and indeed, other such character options. If you really, genuinely think that there isn't a reason to ban certain things, please read up on Kender and see if that doesn't change your mind.
>>
>>54371320
The only thing I am angry about is that stupid knee pad.
>>
>>54371657
I know what kenders are. I also know what bad players are and I know which of the two has a 100% chance of not being accepted at my table.
>>
>>54371320
Because they aren't quite finished smoking Tolkien's pole.
>>
>>54371595
I would call it more decoration than armor at that point
>>
>>54371320
They are?
Shouldn't they be more angry about the solitary oversized kneepad just sorta hanging there?
>>
>>54371674

It's obviously for kneeing you in the balls.
>>
I don't think it's really about how traditional they are. Gnomes are fairly traditional, yet I don't really like them. Dragonborn aren't that far from traditional, but they're garbage. Have you considered that the race you wanted was just an unappealing concept?
>>
>>54371676
I'm not going to argue with you if you keep misinterpreting what we're arguing about.
>>
>>54371320
They are angry about the people playing them, not the races themselves.
>>
>>54371800

Dragonborn are trash because they are ultimate mary sues.
>>
>>54371320

There is literally no good reason beyond pure grognardia not to presume that exotic races cannot be made to fit a campaign. You want to run your human only campaign, or your Tolkien-inspired campaign, sure, go right ahead - that's your prerogative. But you are not the authority on what D&D races are "supposed" to be, or on what makes a race "properly" D&Dish.

D&D has had weird races available to it from the beginning. In Basic D&D alone, we had sphinxes, we had centaurs, we had pookas, we had pixies, we had brownies, we had mermaids, we had wizards cursed into expies of the Skeksis from The Dark Crystal, we had pegatuars, we had faux-French swashbuckling wolf-people, we had lizard people, we had flying monkeys, we had samurai catfolk who rode into battle on flying sabertoothed tigers, we had kopru, we have 18" tall dinosaur-hunting amazons, we had cowboy orcs, we had spellcasting spider-weres, we had treants! All of these came from official sourcebooks and were established as being part of the Known World.

If TSR hadn't ended up removing Mystara from prominence and focusing on the more "Tolkienian" Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms settings instead, maybe people would be more open-minded to this fact. But just because Greyhawk and its Neo-Medieval Europe feel was "the face" of D&D for an edition does not make it the only definition of D&D.
>>
>>54371320

>GM's usually have a specific idea of their world , certain races simply do not fit in that framework and have to be shoehorned in and make no sense. For example I had a player wanting to play a Warforged in Dark Sun basically so he didn't have to worry about any food/water requirements.

>Monster races in particular are also jarring, you either have to pretty much ignore the fact that they are or constantly have villagers etc wary or outright hostile to the party

>Some non-core races have quite overpowered abilities that make running a game difficult. For example the ability to fly.

>Often the player doesn't actually roleplay the unique qualities of whatever race they have chosen and just act like a human with different stats

>Or the opposite and they want everyone to acknowledge what a special snowflake they are.

>Party composition starts to make very little sense with multiple weird races. I remember a game where we had a Tabaxi, a Goliath, a Tiefling, a Shifter and a rather bewildered human Paladin. This can break immersion.
>>
>>54371814
Why would you think I want to argue? I just stated my stance.
>>
>>54371845
If you didn't want to discuss anything, then you would've started a blog. Instead you're here in a thread specifically designed to start arguments. You aren't fooling anyone.
>>
>>54371835

All I get from that is bad players and GM's.

If players picks a race that makes no sense warn him. If he still does it make him suffer for that.
>>
>>54371831
After you've made a world adding a race basically means either you have to replace some of one or they're some mysterious hidden people. It's also misleading to call that list of weird races "from the beginning"
>>
>>54371886
>If players picks a race that makes no sense warn him. If he still does it make him suffer for that.
Or you could just, y'know, cut out the middleman and ban certain races.
>>
>>54371880
I'll humor you then. Follow the reply chain. I specifically replied to someone that implied that something not original was somehow better.
>>
File: stonehenge.png (714KB, 768x415px) Image search: [Google]
stonehenge.png
714KB, 768x415px
>>54371831
>18" tall dinosaur-hunting amazons
>>
>>54371886
>Bad GMing is discussing things with the players and letting them know that certain options won't fit in the game you're running.
>Good GMing is keeping your mouth shut about everything, letting them pick whatever, and then passive aggressively punishing them for picking and option you don't like.

Is this bizarro /tg/ or are you legitimately that fucking stupid?
>>
>>54371903

Banning stuff is not an answer. If your players are smart they can make stupid shit work. If they are idiots why are you even playing with them?
>>
>>54371674
That is the worst offender. The rest could be written off as fashion.
>>
A very loud and very small subset of people who are very angry about another very small subset of people that just barely outman the first subset.

Alternatively some people are scared of change.
>>
>>54371912
It was never implied, it was assumed. That's on you.
>>
>>54371912
It's less likely to be bad.

But whatever, you are baiting anyway.
>>
>>54371923
I'm not making this shit up! They were called the Kubbits, and they were a PC race in the Hollow World Boxed Set for Mystara.
>>
>>54371320
>2 sets of ears
wut?
>>54371351
Even if you allow humans only snowflakes gonna snowflake
>>
>>54371984
I'm not baiting.
>>
>>54371956
>Banning stuff is not an answer
Why? What's the net negative from banning something?
I feel like everything >>54371835 said applies too.
>>
File: 1472277943596.png (439KB, 358x484px) Image search: [Google]
1472277943596.png
439KB, 358x484px
I used to think they are shit, but after seeing some work really well in specific settings I changed my mind.

Other than dragonborn. They will always be shit.
>>
>>54371972
Somehow I doubt you've ever done a headcount
>>
>>54371831
>we had pookas, we had pixies, we had brownies, we had mermaids, we had wizards cursed into expies of the Skeksis from The Dark Crystal, we had pegatuars, we had faux-French swashbuckling wolf-people, we had lizard people, we had flying monkeys, we had samurai catfolk who rode into battle on flying sabertoothed tigers, we had kopru, we have 18" tall dinosaur-hunting amazons, we had cowboy orcs, we had spellcasting spider-weres, we had treants! All of these came from official sourcebooks and were established as being part of the Known World.
That sounds like the worst setting I've heard in days.

Bravo good sir.
>>
>>54371657
>It's about poorly designed races
Nooope, OP said about non traditional ones, nothing about poorly designed only. Or are you implying that anything non traditional is poorly designed?
>>
>>54371948
Not him but why would you build a world that can't accomodate certain choices the players can make? You might as well play a different game then. Personally I'd roll characters first and then think of an adventure that will accomodate everyone.

The same can be said about classes: would you punish someone for not picking a rogue, because you wanted to put a lot of traps around?
>>
>>54372017
>dragonborn
I dislike them too, I like lizardfolk as long as is roleplayed as a cold creature though
>>
>>54371386
You say that like its a bad thing. Elves and Dwarves are real fantasy. Sparkledogs are anime.
>>
>>54371886
>make him suffer for that.
Truely the GMing /tg/ deserves.
>>
>>54372058
>Real
>Fantasy
>>
>>54372030
That setting is the result of a crashed spaceship and has a whole Federation-like society in the stars above it.

It's horrifyingly great and kitchen sink as fuck.

The swashbuckling wolf people are pretty cool though.
>>
>>54372011
Please don't reply to posts addressed at me.

>>54371979
Are you really assuming that banning races but having bad players with "classic" choices will result in a more enjoyable experience?

>>54371984

If you're gonna assume that anyone not agreeing with your ideas is baiting you must have problems anon.
>>
>>54372058

Western crap actually has many times more furryshit races than anime. Anime would at worst have cute animal girls races.
>>
>>54372030
This post is Reddit.
>>
>>54372073
>guy plays a goblin
>in the middle of Empire
>expecting NPCs to act normal
>>
>>54372108
Why did you put him in the middle of the empire then?
>>
>>54372023
And you would be right to doubt.
However, I have been around enough to know that the things /tg/ complains about can be safely assumed as minor issues.
>>
>>54372132
To make him suffer of course
>>
>>54372082
>Are you really assuming that banning races but having bad players with "classic" choices will result in a more enjoyable experience?
You're arguing a different point.
Why is it bad to ban races? Especially those that wouldn't fit in the setting.
Further more some would say that a player that picks wildly out of setting or against the rules races is a bad player from the get go. If your answer to noon-traditional or out of setting races is "don't play with bad players" then why is banning certain races so much of a hang up for you? I essentially deals with the "bad" players who insist on playing out of setting races.
>>
>>54372043
>Alright guys, we're playing Forgotten Realms!
>REEEEEEEEE WHY CAN'T I PLAY MY ASTRONAUT KITSUNE WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS BAAAAD GEE EHM!

That's literally your argument. Some options just don't fit within the theme of the game that a GM wants to run. If they want a low magic type of game, they have every right to ban spellcasting classes up front. If they want to run something sci-fi, then there is nothing wrong with doing away with elves and dwarves.
>>
I'm not against non traditional ones, but I am against blatant anime shit like OP pic, or things that are just shit like tiefling or dragonborn. You want to an original race that fits with a normal fantasy theme? Half trolls. Anything over a few beastmen races with a couple subraces (like lizardmen with a crocodile, gecko, desert lizard, etc. subraces) tends to get you yelled at for being a furry. Halfbreeds tend to be used only for traditional shit, when you can get a ton of variety using them and a bit of actual imagination instead of animu shit.
https://dnd.rem.uz/3.5%20D%26D%20Books/Races%20of%20Renown%20/Races%20of%20Renown%20-%20Bastards%20and%20Bloodlines,%20A%20Guidebook%20to%20Halfbreeds.pdf
just cut out the pure autism like the unicorn whatever the shit and anything that you think wouldnt fit your setting.
>>
>>54372080
Meh. I usually don't like kitchen sink settings, like shadow run or the like.

>>54372108
You should talk to the player ahead of time. If the concept doesn't fit, disallow it.

The player might want to be constantly dealing with the problems you outline, and if that's true it's not really suffering.
>>
>>54372144
The point I'm trying to make is that if a race is available as a player choice it doesn't need to "fit" in the setting, it already is part of it.
>>
>>54372147
>we're playing Forgotten Realms!
So he actually can play his Astronaut Kitsune, dunno why he complains
>>
>>54372108
Why would the GM let him pick a goblin in the first place?
>>
>>54372096
I could make a stupid-huge post listing all of the various beast-based races in D&D, but I'll just post this and make it simple:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/List_of_D%26D_PC_Races
>>
>>54372173
That's fundamentally wrong though.
>>
its not that its a bad idea, its just things like these come from it. Most of them are anime or trash from something that doesn't fit, but there's the occasional decent one.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Races
>>
>>54372173
You make the mistake of assuming every race and option in the rule book exists in every world running those rules.
>>
>>54372147
Why are you taking in players that want to roll fantasy races in a sci fi game? Didn't you tell them before? Do they just show up at your table or what?
>>
>>54371320
In a nutshell, OP, because people seem to have the question confused:

There's nothing inherently wrong with making a setting that has "non traditional" races built into it. That's just part of the setting buy-in. Anyone who complains about that is probably just a grognard who's decided to be a prick.

Coming to a game and asking to be a race that isn't supposed to be in that setting, well, there's actually a lot of etiqutte about that - for example, if it's "game 0" where the setting is being put together and the group is agreeing to the buy in, it's fair enough to discuss adding new races in, but just showing up at somebody's low-fantasy humans-only setting and wanting to be a plane-traveling faerie warlord is being a jerk.
>>
File: 50dadf8eafa96f3dd5000007.jpg (77KB, 313x313px) Image search: [Google]
50dadf8eafa96f3dd5000007.jpg
77KB, 313x313px
>>54372305
You're not even fucking reading the posts anymore.
>>
>>54372286
I was under the impression that we were talking about settings that the GM in question was building for the game.
>>
>>54371783
That'S still no excuse to have a kneepad that will mess up your other leg. A small pad with a spike or metal cap would work just as well and would be easier to swing upwards.
>>
>>54371320
>Don't care about whatever it is you masturbate to, didn't come to entertain your fetish.

>No point if your race can easily be replicated by a few spells/magic items. Take your pic for example, why bother when I could take a normal human,and grab a hat of disguise or something?
>>
>>54372472
But the same can be said about dwarves, elves, half-orcs and all the other more or less standard shit.
>>
File: cerea_takes_out_the_trash.png (87KB, 785x391px) Image search: [Google]
cerea_takes_out_the_trash.png
87KB, 785x391px
>>54371320
Because half of them are anime bullshit and the other half are furry. I'm sure most reasonable people on this board would welcome truly original races.
>>
>>54372708
Well, all humans games are always the best, so I'd say that can hold true.
>>
I always do this weird thing, I sit with the players and we talk about what they want, the theme of the campaign, setting, and stuff. Then, misteriously we don't have problems when reaching a consensus. Super weird I know.
>>
>>54372922
Suu best girl, Cerea a shit.
>>
File: 1416510050912.png (59KB, 833x338px) Image search: [Google]
1416510050912.png
59KB, 833x338px
>>54373027
You are entitled to your own opinion
>>
File: B-MBkqRCcAAK32Q.jpg_large.jpg (58KB, 610x760px) Image search: [Google]
B-MBkqRCcAAK32Q.jpg_large.jpg
58KB, 610x760px
>>54373027
>>54373074
You are both entitled to your own wrong opinion
>>
What's the strangest thing you have seen being played in your table?
Me? Centaur Monk, weird, but was actually funny, nobody had a problem with it once the game started.
>>
File: 1409969678220.gif (903KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
1409969678220.gif
903KB, 300x200px
>>54373130
>glorified side character
>>54373154
kobold gnome slavers
>>
>>54373154
Probably one dude who was an 8ft magitech robot/golem. He roleplayed really well.
>>
>>54371320
>non-traditional fantasy races
A-Ok.
>anime bullshit fantasy races
A-Ok.
>race that clashes with setting
Not ok.
>>
>>54372399

Don't judge her man. Maybe she really likes crushing balls.
>>
Because 90% of the time they are shit tacked onto the setting half assedly
Most worldbuilders are retards who can't do anything right if they stray from the well trod path
>>
>>54371657
I really wish people would quit shitting all over kender. They're not actually a bad race, as presented in the Dragonlance novels. The problem is that the 3.0 source book for Dragonlance, rather than portraying them as obnoxious but good natured kleptomaniac Hobbits (that nobody in-universe except the God of Good can stand, he thinks they're charming), they portrayed them all (as a race) to be exactly like the most prominent kender from the fiction.
>truth
Kender habitually and instinctively "borrow" interesting things. They'll always return it if you tell them it's yours.
>false
They take things that are valuable, powerful, or expensive. They also don't tell you they have it until it's relevant because "muh stealing"

The latter is That Guy behavior. Kender in the fiction are more likely to steal marbles, or a shiny fork, or a ship in a bottle, or an interesting map, before they take a magic weapon (boring), an important key (I've got a pouch full of them), or a wizard's scroll (I can't read it anyway).
Also, canonically nobody likes them. They're not allowed in several cities in their own setting. Some are jailed on sight just because they're kender. They make fast and loyal friends, but they're still a nuisance to have around because they're gonna get in trouble.
I've played with two players who played kender. Both did a good job, but the one might as well not have been a kender because the DM didn't describe rooms well, so the kender player had no frame of reference for his borrowing. The second one was great. In situations where we'd be in a place for a while he'd roll sleight of hand, and the DM would pass him a note card with an item or items he'd acquired. If he rolled low enough, someone might notice and say something. The DM used this occasionally to pass us items that would be useful much later, or to give us a reason to meet an important NPC (like the kender nicked something off them in a market or the like).
>>
>>54371998
She has advantage on perception checks related to hearing.

Two sets of ears means she gets to try twice to hear it.

>>54372043
>would you punish someone for not picking a rogue, because you wanted to put a lot of traps around?
Absolutely I would. Especially because I told the party I wanted to run a Tomb of Horrors-style dungeon crawl, and nobody wanted to have trap sense. They made their bed, they get to die in it.

Also, some people make campaign settings with various levels of definition and acuity. Some times you can just slot it in, as a magical accident or other one-off event. But if the major theme of the campaign is the unresolved tension between elves and humans, anyone who wants to play a half-elf is gonna have a bad time. If the major theme of the campaign is resource management and not starving/dying of thirst/being exhausted all the time, warforged SHOULD be banned, especially for Dark Sun.

>>54372173
But if it's my special hotplate setting, your special snowflake race choice might not be suitable.

>>54373006
I call bullshit. There's no fucking way you manage to get ALL the players to sit down at the same time.

Aside from those blatant lies, this seems like the best approach. It seems to mysteriously make problems disappear when everyone is on the same page and has their expectations met.
>>
So what kind of lore would work well for anime rabbit people and be acceptable by /tg/ standards?

Some kind of steppe elves?
>>
>>54373394
Grimdark cannibalistic horrors.

Just like every race /tg/ tries to "improve".
>>
>>54373154
I only hear about awesome shit on the internet. I only ever met one guy that was having fun with playing characters that weren't cliche as fuck.
A Half-Orc Monk the pirate. On a quest to avenge his captain and the crew. Superstitious as fuck. His brilliant plans always obscured by amazing tales of his pirate crew using crafty tactics to get out of situation. Except those tales were told by a fucking orc brain so we had to guess whatever the fuck were "boom boxes" or "hooky machinations".

Truly a marvel PC among the drunk dwarf paladins and angsty rogue half-elves
>>
>>54373154
My past shitty DM had us use dand wiki for making a character by mashing two races together. Me being the sensible fellow I am, decided to mesh shark people and dragon people. and then play a bard using that. Pretty fuckin great, especially since I even managed to outsine his DMPC as party face.
>>
>>54373394
Make them short and then have them stand ins for halflings.
>>
>>54373154
Depends. Do you mean things I listed as player races that someone went with , or things the player themselves made/brought up?

If the former, probably a tossup between sentient militant vine colony, a living personification of a dramatic role, or a giant shamanic elk-gorilla-bear-elf.

If the latter, a four foot tall four armed kneeless Cyclops with hand mouths from "a plain of pure angony". Alternatively, a semi sentient, non anthropomorphic pangolin
>>
>>54373425
Hey, that's not fair.

We also have "literally every animal stereotype" and "these guys are totally MANLY and AWESOME".
>>
>>54371835
Or you could just have a setting where non traditional fantasy races are a thing.
Then they would fit the setting since it was made with them in mind, villagers don't attack them because they are not that unusual, party composition is no more an issue than having a human-elf-dwarf party...
You're are not responding to OP, but to an hypothetical anon that would want to insert his special race character in a regular setting.
Not that OP question is that interesting but still.
>>
>>54373447
>My past shitty DM had us use dand wiki for making a character by mashing two races together
Like he actually forced you guys to use it for character creation? That could actually be kind of funny. Everyone is a half-animeborn shadowkin or something equally horrifying
>>
>>54373484
Or you could just have a setting where non traditional fantasy races are a thing.

But... these races... don't... fit into... hero's journey...
>>
>>54373394
Immigrants from the moon. Agile and skilled in illusion and charms, but lack fighting spirit are likely to bolt at first sign of danger
>>
>>54373154
My not-nerubian British colonial Indiana Jones has to bow down to a reverse not one ring that possess evil creatures to do good.
A shame it didn't last, I would have love to see where mind control for the greater good would have lead us.
>>
File: Tamiyo.jpg (196KB, 733x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Tamiyo.jpg
196KB, 733x1100px
>>54373394
http://mtg.gamepedia.com/Moonfolk
MTG Soratami
>>
>>54373504
yhup. Half animeborn shadowkin was exactly what he did too. Used some shadow demon shit that was retarded and then a kitsune for a non shadow thing. some edgelord made an angel demon thing that was shit, and some other person just had a dick of a pyromancer that got killed by a bartender.
>>
>>54373425

Don't forget eating babies and raping young human males.
>>
>>54371320
traditional races are easy to visualise and understand due to the memetic weight they have gathered.

non traditional races can usually be divided into 3 groups:
>the completely alien
>the hybrid
>the X but with a twist

the first don't usually go too far because they spawn from a long, self referential brainstorming of a single individual, who will often be the only one to have the tools to actually understand and care for it.
the second are furries magnet due to the rampant anthromphisation for the purpose of character design and/or babby's first ultimate power fantasy, from the simplest of nephilim or half-vampire to the people of a utopian tumblr-tier-libertarian society entirely composed by mary sues.
the third may as well be a traditional race.

the problems don't lie in any universal flaw of the non traditional races, the 3 groups above can have their well thought and executed examples; but the fact that they are non traditional means they will not have an already established judgement and will instead provoke new critiques and discussions.

the 3 groups are often seen negatively because of the people they attract more than the results they may spawn: contrarians, autists and various kinds of those guys.
>>
>>54372017

I ended up loving those fuckers. A really interesting take on dwarfs.
>>
>>54373394
a wizard did them

no seriously: animal eared cute races are the leftover creations-pets-servants of a caste of powerful wizards now fallen from power for one reason or another long time ago.
their creations either adapted to the wild, got enslaved by somebody else or uplifted themselves in the artifacts filled ruins of their creators
>>
>>54373394
Three options:
>Slave/soldier race created through magic; heavily discriminated against
>Not a separate species, but a tribe who bond themselves with animal spirits; one family is bonded to a rabbit
>They're from the moon
>>
>>54371320
Your picture doesn't help
>>
File: books_dnd_livingdead_pic2.jpg (35KB, 300x432px) Image search: [Google]
books_dnd_livingdead_pic2.jpg
35KB, 300x432px
>>54374637

Looks much better than official D&D art.
>>
>>54371320
They're not, they're just mad about anime "girl with animal ears" bullshit like pic related. Japs can't design races to save their lives, it all just comes out as waifutrash.
>>
>>54374898
I am forced to agree
>>
>>54375067

Because western furryshit is better right?

Almost all fantasy races besides the big four Tolkien introduced are fetish fuel crap. Shit settings even turn some off them into fetish fuel with orcs and elves being obvious victims.
>>
>>54372043
>can't accomodate certain choices the players can make

The key here is that the players cannot choose those options if they are banned.
>>
>>54372348
In that case the GM should not have a problem because the players can only pick from the races the GM provides.
>>
>>54371386
I fucking wish anyone did Tolkien elves or dwarves.
>>
>>54374204
>>54373394
>>54372096
>>54372017
>>54371320
all I'm seeing is "humans with miscellaneous ears"

Not exactly non-traditional
>>
>>54375760
>Because western furryshit is better right?
If you let someone play a beastfolk that's an anthropomorphic dog/cat/pig/fox/monkey/etc then you at least have an idea of what you're getting into. Chances are your player is going to base their characteristics and abilities off of what the real-life animal would naturally do, even if it's a really cliched way to play. And above all, it's probably not even for fetish purposes, unlike what your brain seems to be conditioned to expect.

Now, something like OP's animeshit? I have no fixing clue what that mess is supposed to be, what it can do, and why it should exist except to pander to the player's weebness, and I'm not watching or reading whatever source material it comes from to find out.
>>
>>54376529
For real man. I wanna see longeared hatemongers gut-punching demigods more often.
>>
>>54373130
Lala is great, but doesn't get enough screentime.

In the main cast, suu or rachnera are objectively better than the rest.
>>
>>54373515
someone's a reisenfag.
>>
File: Armello market.jpg (40KB, 675x350px) Image search: [Google]
Armello market.jpg
40KB, 675x350px
Is there really any reason to get so bent out of shape out of using various different fantasy races?

Everyone likes to say 'oh hur dur they're just humans with weird ears/fur/tail/etc.', if that's the case and that human only settings are the best, then what gives? Use them as a stand in for more exotci humans, and there you go. It's literally not a problem.
>>
>>54376721

So if you look at a human you instantly know who he is and what he can do?

Why the shit do you D&D babies think that every race should be good at one thing?
>>
>>54374289
So basically tibbits?
>>
>>54371828
>fantasy krogans
>mary sue
>>
>>54377271

Literally nobody plays them like Krogans.
>>
>>54377271
until you said this i don't think as many people as you think realized that they can be played like this
>>
>>54377271

They are special snowflakes with dragon blood. Not a punished race or hard warriors.
>>
>>54377362
how do people normally play them? only seen one guy play a dragonborn and he had personality of a rock.
>>
All this thread taught me is that I never want to play with anyone from /tg/, I'd rather deal with my local fuckups.
>>
>>54377422
Have you read their 4E fluff? That's exactly what they are. Hard and pointlessly stubborn warriors that value honor over thier own lives. Used to have a massive empire but into a pissing contest with a human empire that ended up with mutual destruction and the humans becoming tieflings
>>
>>54372017
Dunno, you could always just make them fire-breathing lizardmen that suffer from throat inflammation.
>>
>>54377362
Maybe it's just DtD that made me realize the parallels
>>
>>54373027
I'll take spider pussy then, thank you very much.
>>
>>54371320
I don't, but I'm aware that 90% of them are just elves or dwarves or orcs with a different aesthetic.
>>
File: Agielba_A.png (141KB, 960x800px) Image search: [Google]
Agielba_A.png
141KB, 960x800px
>>54376693

Draph are actually pretty different dwarfs. With males being over 2m tall half ogres with bad affinity for magic and females being 140cm tall breeding factories with giant tits and good affinity for magic.
>>
>>54377756
Most playable female dorafs are physical powerhouses though, Izmir is like the only magically oriented female doraf I can remember along with that one witch doraf from legfes Io's fate.
>>
>>54371320
Because they tend to fall into the same tired cliches as the old Tolkien standbys.

Rock People
Lizard People
"Weird polynesian/slavic mythology thing I found on Wikipedia and horribly misinterpreted'- people
The endless ENDLESS variations on furries and Kemonomimi now that anime is cool again.

Frankly most fantasy literature is more interesting if they go strictly humans only for PCs and make the non-human races strange and genuinely alien a-la the Hyborean age or A Song of Ice and Fire.

Or follow the Mercedes Lackey route and just have talking animals, but that's hard to gamify.
>>
>>54377495
the one time a player played one he played a gold dragonborn and was the personifaction of greed basically
Which is not a good character idea but its still better out of most of the dragon born characters i have seen
ironically the only one that comes to mind as a """""good""""" character is tiberius storm wind from fucking critical role because i have seen like 2 dragon borns besides the one i played with and they where all playing classes that the +2 str did not matter
Rogue
Wizard
Bow based fighter
>>
File: frank_frazetta_thuviamaidofmars.jpg (133KB, 1200x829px) Image search: [Google]
frank_frazetta_thuviamaidofmars.jpg
133KB, 1200x829px
>>54371320
You know this thread has really reminded me of something:

I miss the good old days when the lines separating Fantasy from Science Fiction weren't so rigidly defined. When you could run D&D and have an adventure where you come across a crashed shuttle craft from the "totally not USS Enterprise" or where it turns out that the seeming Fantasy world the characters inhabit is actually Earth 1,000 years after a nuclear holocaust without some genre purist getting his panties in a twist.
>>
>>54378107
For real, that shit is always welcome as far as I'm concerned. Your pulp fantasy stories like Conan were all about that.
>>
>>54372037
You know what? Yeah, if it's not traditional it's not only snowflake, it's badly designed, badly applied to the setting, OP as fuck, means for badwrong players by badwrong designers and it's fucking burning garbage
>>
File: REEEEEE.jpg (31KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEE.jpg
31KB, 1280x720px
>>54378304
>>
>>54376721
>i'm feeling intimidated if i can't insta-categorize something!
>>
>>54378181
Hell yeah, the big secret is that the Hyborean Age is actually Earth 10,000 years in the past and it';s the same universe as the Lovecraft Mythos. Lovecraft and Howard were pen pals,but Howard really didn't like how powerless Lovecraft made humans in his stories so he wrote Conan partially to create a character who could punch Cthulhu in the face.
>>
>>54378459
You can punch squidward in the face all you want with no actual consequences, only thing you're not allowed to fuck with is Azathoth really.
>>
>>54371320
>>54371595
>>54371674
>gauntlets
>sabatons
>SINGLE BOOBPLATE
>rerebraces that strategically expose shoulder, armpit, and pretty much the whole arm
>SINGLE GIANT FUCKING OVERWROUGHT POLEYN THAT'S BIGGER THAN HER HEAD HANGING FROM A THIN BAND AROUND THE KNEE
>>
File: sp0209.jpg (601KB, 2370x1648px) Image search: [Google]
sp0209.jpg
601KB, 2370x1648px
>>54378952
It seems to be a mobage adaption so those things don't surprise me in the least
>>
>>54378952
>he thinks that's meant to be functional
Plot armor is the only armor you'll ever need and if the GM wants you to die no armor will help you.
>>
>>54379133
>18 AC
>>
File: Hallessena_C.png (225KB, 960x800px) Image search: [Google]
Hallessena_C.png
225KB, 960x800px
>>54377756
Doraf are a miracle of the universe.
>>
File: 36b6.jpg (2MB, 5000x2655px) Image search: [Google]
36b6.jpg
2MB, 5000x2655px
>>54379206
Take note of the blue line defined as dick level
>>
>>54371351
fpbp
>>
>>54379234
Have the newest version.
>>
>>54379206
Seriously, what the heck are Draph? I know they come from Granblue Fantasy, but is there any racial lore to them?
>>
>>54379323
Former slave race, built a giant robot to free themselves from their oppressors is the short of it.
>>
>>54372017
I am not sure if I am missing something relating to this post or I am just an idiot. But if its the first do explain what race you are speaking off.
>>
>>54380333
Imagine crossbreeding dwarfs and minotaurs, then giving them the hardest hitting sexual dimorphism in humanoids making the women feminine as fuck while keeping the dwarf height and the men buff as fuck with the minotaur height.
>>
>>54380498
My penis approves.
>>
>>54371320
I don't know. They are thousand times better than using the same traditional fantasy races and names but with a twist to look original and million times better than deconstruction shit.
>>
>>54371320
Original races are fine if they're handled well. Your example pic and pretty much anything else that originates from an anime is objectively dogshit though.
>>
File: 1493359248775.jpg (50KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1493359248775.jpg
50KB, 720x405px
>>54371320
your non traditional race is cringy anime trash.
if you can make a actual race that isn't just kawaii uguu face, a pair of tits tits and then some other bits strapped somewhere maybe we can talk
>>
>>54375067
You've been watching the wrong anime
>>
>>54379206
How about no and you fuck off with you cute anime girl race who are supposed to be so super special
>>
File: __by_kuvshinov_ilya-dbadr91.jpg (99KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
__by_kuvshinov_ilya-dbadr91.jpg
99KB, 894x894px
>all these people hating on anime girls
when did /tg/ become so gay?
>>
>>54383058
/tg/ was never into your anime bullshit. Fuck off.
Old guard /tg/ was into thri'kreens.
>>
>>54377756
That only sounds different from dwarves. If you treat them as just another race, they aren't that different from the standard fanservice races.
>>
>Looks at my setting.
>"My setting" yes I know bear with me.
>Realizes that like 4 of the races are literally "humans, but a god/wizards fucked with them."
>Is OK with this.
>>
>>54383091
If you think that wanting to fuck a giant bug gives you any moral high ground over people wanting to fuck an animu grill, i have bad news for you.
>>
File: 1235654351234.jpg (1MB, 3293x3572px) Image search: [Google]
1235654351234.jpg
1MB, 3293x3572px
You know what this thread needs? Trox.
>>
File: 1377805991623.png (239KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1377805991623.png
239KB, 550x550px
>"nuh-uh, you need ORIGINAL races!"
>makes sentient shades of color purple and then wonders why players don't want to play them
>makes a race so "original and fresh", it's pretty much stereotyped into a single archetype
>still uses race as culture
>"I'm doing my best to make the race as uterly repusive as possible so weirdos don't wank to them!" "wait guys why isn't anyone playing them" "wait Steve WHY ARE YOU STILL WANKING TO THEM?"
>Race of "underdogs", clearly the smartest cutest little darlings who can do no wrong and are wrongly oppressed
>[faint screeching "i only use humans!" from fedoralord corner]

Daily reminder that fantasy races are a meme and thus it doesn't matter what you and your players play, as long as you enjoy it
>>
File: thumbs_up_1.jpg (24KB, 301x267px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs_up_1.jpg
24KB, 301x267px
>>54383397
>>
>>54373394
First, you don't make them anime, then you draw inspiration from those doodles in the margins in monk's writings with slug wars and shit.
>>
File: 1474531166047.jpg (10KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
1474531166047.jpg
10KB, 205x246px
>>54371320
They somehow don't realize this is an anime website and the cool thing for teenagers right now is to hate anime, so you get this thread.
>>
>>54371351
Playing a race common to the setting is the opposite of being a snowflake.
>>
>>54383697
it's always been cool to hate anime dude, there aren't cool people on fucking /tg/ of all places anyways, but yes toonami is not as influential on losers as it was 6-10 years ago
>>
>>54371320
As a GM, I always ask "what does it add?". Most games I play one race is dominant and focal for tonal reasons, so going outside that better have a motivation.
>>
>>54384217
I do same, but this is how I ended up with world where dwarfs and elfs are replaced by kobolds and gnolls respectivly, as well as certain lack of humans
>>
>>54384174
If your race isn't /tg/-approved, then it's a shitty mary sue snowflake fap fodder
>>
File: mysoulwhen.jpg (137KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mysoulwhen.jpg
137KB, 1280x720px
>>54383397
Took long enough for a non-brainlet to arrive huh
>>54383697
At least it's not /v/
>>
>>54379321
Is there any translation for the moonspeak anywhere ?
>>
>>54384545
Don't get me wrong, anime where it doesn't belong is double-awful.
>>
File: image.gif (594KB, 580x326px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
594KB, 580x326px
>>54385131
Anime belongs everywhere.
>>
>>54376529
iirc burning wheel does a pretty good representation
>>
>>54379234
>>54379321
>arr rook the same
>>
Some people use species as a substitute for personality, which led to a backlash.
>>
>>54378107
I was watching some He-man and She-ra on netflix for kicks and thought something similar.
>>
>>54383058
its not so much against anime girls as it is them being mary sues or shittily designed.
>>
Have you considered not liking what I don't like?
>>
They're played almosy exclusively by bad roleplayers and furry-tier autists who seem to think that their character is automatically interesting if it's not a human/elf/dorf and thus take no efforts to develop their character. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with exotic races other than potentially cheapening the setting and in the cases of obvious fetish/furfag shit
>>
>>54390723
Fun one-shot idea: tell your players it's a Conan-type setting, then make a hard right into He-Man territory.
>Journey to ancient, skull-shaped castle to retrieve mystic sword
>Build up the idea that they'll have to defeat the evil lich-king first
>He finally reveals himself
>"Nyaaaah! So, you bumbling boobs think you can defeat me, eh?"
>>
>>54371320
Why are so many people #tired' of 'overdone' traditional fantasy races?
>>
File: e1776600b28c8bbff44dbf8adcbf7715.jpg (240KB, 1021x1457px) Image search: [Google]
e1776600b28c8bbff44dbf8adcbf7715.jpg
240KB, 1021x1457px
>>54379337

They are not a slave race. All races were enslaved by Astrals for a time.

It's like the standard "Old Ones" thing most settings have.
>>
>>54380541

Japanese are masters of pleasing penises.
>>
File: 4fdfefbe.png (149KB, 960x800px) Image search: [Google]
4fdfefbe.png
149KB, 960x800px
>>54383206

They are the setting's equivalent of dwarves.

Just like sexy animal girls are the equivalent of elves.
>>
>>54383058
I mean I don´t even dislike animu girls but having 23 different types of them with minor differences doesn´t really convince me. At least use some monster girls to mix up the body types.
>>
>>54392457
Because it's everywhere. Anytime you see a fantasy property, it's the same damn thing over and over, and most of the time nobody even bothers to put any kind of interesting spin on it. They literally come off as being straight up copy and pasted with no thought given besides, "we need these traditional fantasy races because that's what people expect."
>>
File: 5454romeslp.jpg (429KB, 1600x960px) Image search: [Google]
5454romeslp.jpg
429KB, 1600x960px
>>54393223
The copy paste thing is pretty accurate imho.
Elves in the woods, dwarfes in the mountains, add other clichés. Why not just play low-fantasy at that point ? No need for other species if they are just slightly different humans.
>>
>>54371320
Honestly I just want to play a fucking Storm Giant. Idk if I have to use half-hiant stats, I wanna plas as a member of the objectively best giant race.
>>
>>54371998
>2 sets of ears
One for a human decibel ratio, another set for a select ratio
>>
>Complain about special snowflake non-traditional fantasy races.
>Traditional fantasy races includes elves, the quintessential special snowflake race.
>Most special snowflake non-traditional races are just the qualities of elves in a different shaped container.
Really activates my almonds.
>>
>>54371320
>Why are so many people so angry about non traditional fantasy races?
I don't mind them, as long as it isn't a half-ass attempt to subvert usual cliches. Nonsense like GM X deciding "humans with extra bits" are annoying so his elves are spherical with three feet and no arms and the like.
>>
>>54378304
3/10, made me reply
>>
>>54371351
So why not make them common?
>>
>>54371351
Snowflake bait is true
>>
>>54371676
You're bad at addressing the original point, but very good at replying in vague ways that allow you to say something completely unrelated in the form of a reply.
>>
>>54371676
You have a very high horse there.
>>
>>54371845
You are definitely arguing and also baiting lol it's funny that you think you're not arguing.
>>
>>54376693
Yeah that's true, I swear if people think these are different races they're retarded.
>>
>>54377756
Why even make this a different race? it's just a human who's buff and has horns. How many of these exist for no better reason than getting different stats?
>>
>>54371320
Because a lot of them boil down to (Humans but cooler with no discernible drawbacks)
>>
File: 618.gif (197KB, 248x224px) Image search: [Google]
618.gif
197KB, 248x224px
>>54371320
Because its either transparent fetish fuel or really poorly thought out

>My fantasy race is called Swordians
>They are all master sword fighters
>They all have innate swords they can call upon
>They regenerate instantly!!!1!!!
>They don't need to eat drink or sleep
>They are 90% female
>The remaining 10% males look exactly like the females
>Hey! where are you guys going?!
>How dare you restrict my creativity!
>>
>>54396939
anon you have just described 95% of all things humans produce.
Why are you on 4chan if you are not okay with things that are really poorly thought out or fetish fuel?
>>
>>54397002
I'm totally fine with poorly thought out garbage when I want to laugh at it, and I'm perfectly okay with thinly veiled fetish fuel when I am writing a smut or I want to masturbate.

But when I am playing tabletop I want good atmosphere
>>
>>54397076
But 95% of tabletop is also poorly thought out fetish garbage, as it was made by humans.

You will by necessity have to sieve through it for the stuff you like.

Why are you mysteriously not OK with doing that for these things, but mysteriously OK with doing it for others?
>>
>>54372309
Thread should've ended here.
>>
>>54373425
I mean, fucking a lot and eating their babies are staples of rabbit behavior.
>>
>>54378107

LOVE THAT!

Your Barbarian just found a Jetpack and a Plasma pistrol

have some fun!
>>
>>54392604
so completely traditional, thereby making this whole thread pointless?
>>
File: warlord_of_mars_no__1.jpg (149KB, 600x932px) Image search: [Google]
warlord_of_mars_no__1.jpg
149KB, 600x932px
>>54398672
Yes Sci-fantasy between John Carter and He-man can be golly fun.
>>
>>54398937
Apparently not when one flavor of pointy ears is THOUGTHFUL, DEEP AND TRADITIONAL FANTASY, but another flavor of pointy ears is A CRIME AGAINST ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY.
>>
>>54384174
The problem isn't people playing Cymrilians and Manra in Talislanta, the problem is people trying to force Half-Lorelai Kitsune Gemfire Adepts into D&D campaigns where they have no place.
>>
>>54378459
what I always liked about Conan was that instead of being scared of the Ancient Ones, it was more that their very existence offended him
>>
>>54400308
>Half-Lorelai Kitsune Gemfire Adepts into D&D campaigns

Let's be honest here; it's D&D. There were more ridiculous things in it.

In official material.
>>
>>54398937

Dwarves being 2m tall and their women actually doing things isn't very traditional really.
>>
>>54396874
>for no better reason than getting different stats

90% of D&D races exist only for that.
>>
File: 1492404608772.jpg (3MB, 3750x1992px) Image search: [Google]
1492404608772.jpg
3MB, 3750x1992px
>>54396874
>Why even make this a different race?

Because adult oppai lolis everywhere.
>>
>>54371320
Well it all depends on different things OP. Some races are good and well made, but have shit players. Some races are bad and should feel bad. Some races can be interesting but are never really played to their full potential and end up being played as humans but different looking.

On an individual basis (as many of the arguments here assume), players and GMs have to account for the setting, and playing something non-human in a setting that doesn't take too kindly to non-humans can be interesting, trying to either hide your non-human origin or just trying to avoid confrontation for being.

Though for some reason anons assume only the "snowflake" races are getting shit on in these situations, why not have everybody not a specific race get shit on! Pointy ears, greenskins, little scaly fucks.
>>
>>54403026
Also the player should ask about race choice before they go making their character. If you get told no then suck it up you little shit, find something the GM approves of.
>>
>>54378107
I liked when Conan met not-aliens or when Fafhr and the Grey Mouser met with a scuba diver from another dimension. But you don't need to be a genre purist to think that having USS Enterprise crash land in Faerun would be shit, no matter how the DM handled it.
Its all about what you're mixing your medieval fantasy setting with.

And the thing about non-classical races is that most of them end up being complete shit.
>>
>>54373384
>There's no fucking way you manage to get ALL the players to sit down at the same time.
Anon, chairs are pretty cheap. Comfy chairs are pretty cheap too
>>
>>54403026

Anon, shit players won't magically become non shit players if you give them a human character.
>>
>>54371386
Because they can get outrageous. A girl I played with always demanded that her race be customized to match her OCs. Mostly because she didn't like to branch out or invent new characters. Or fight. Or do...anything, really.

>tfw always insists on making elf-like bird people with wings
>always plays a bard
>always just takes flight in combat to avoid being hit
>>
>>54411332
You're on /tg/, land of grognards, no one's opinion here actually applies to any real world scenario.
Thread posts: 232
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.