[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dungeon World GM advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1489737342784.jpg (94KB, 800x537px) Image search: [Google]
1489737342784.jpg
94KB, 800x537px
So im going to start a new campaign GMing for 4 players that never played TTRPG before.
I will use Dungeon World because i think Its more dynamic and noob friendly, but i have a question about magic itens in the system.
How do i make them interesting, since weapons and armor stats are kinda irrelevant in this system?
Also, Any other tips regarding running a DW game are appreciated.
>>
File: 1195651334831.jpg (406KB, 700x964px) Image search: [Google]
1195651334831.jpg
406KB, 700x964px
>>54366980
I'm sorry I can't be of any help, but I'll be monitoring this thread--I'm actually about to start a Dungeon World game for the first time as a player.

Also, would the pdf be available anywhere?
>>
>>54366980
Weapon/armor stats are definitely not irrelevant; the tags should come in handy often.

I think the book has some example magic items in it. I distinctly remember a skull that changes the elemental properties of spells cast through it into fire, for example.
>>
>>54366980
>Magic Item tips
Try to avoid giving them bonuses to rolls. Dungeon World is a very 'flat' game, a +1 is really powerful. Instead, I recommend having magic items give players new Moves while on their person. You can make them up yourself or you can 'steal' them from existing classes. There are a TON of Dungeon World classes online, search for them and you'll find some good ones.

Here's an example:

Flamebrand Sword: You may choose to deal fire damage with this weapon instead of physical. When you sweep the blade in front of you, roll +CHA. On a 10+, you deal your damage to all Close enemies. On a 7-9, you deal half damage. On a 6-, take an XP in addition to whatever the GM says. Each time you use this ability, you take a -1 to further uses until you Make Camp.

>General Tips
Here's some of what my group did with Dungeon World:

1) Level cap is raised to 20. At every even level (2, 4, 6...) you raise one attribute by 1. At every odd level (3, 5, 7...) you gain a new Move. Any Move that can be picked at level 6+ instead can be picked at level 11+. Any stuff that was based on your level is instead based on half your level.

2) Initiative is added to the system. It's a DEX or WIS check, whichever is higher for your character. Characters act in battle in order from highest to lowest. We just had monsters either act at the start of the round (if they were fast or had surprise), in the middle (if they were average), or at the end (if they were big, slow, or stupid).

3) Fate cards. The GM wrote up some cards that had various positive and occasionally negative effects. When a player followed their Drive/Alignment or met a Bond during the session, he handed out a Fate card to them instead of giving them XP. They could hold up to 3 at a time, and they were really useful for getting out of sticky situations (or getting into them).
>>
>>54367286
Solid advice. Thanks!

>>54367102
You cand find the PDF at Any torrent website i believe.
>>
>>54366980
>Dungeon World
I'm sorry, Anon. If you are playing Dungeon World then nobody is able to save you at this point...
>>
>>54367102
Check the archive.
But it's really worth buying it. It is such an amazing resource for GM-ing even if you never play DW, and twenty times better than any of the bollocks in the DnD/PF core books.
>>
File: dungeon world 3.png (274KB, 460x483px) Image search: [Google]
dungeon world 3.png
274KB, 460x483px
>>54366980
>>
>>54367598
Nice b8 m8
>>
It's a pretty boring game, OP. Dungeon World is made for 40 year old neckbeards who seem to think the only roleplaying game is existence is D&D 3.5. These grognard fucks refuse to even look at an RPG besides D&D/shitfinder because most of the time when you ask them why you should play Dungeon World they compare it to Pathfinder

> Dungeon World is faster than shitfinder
> Dungeon World has less rules than shitfinder
> Dungeon World is made by indie designers not a big bad game company like shitfinder
> Dungeon World has better classes than shitfinder

And so on, ad nauseum. Yet, when asked what Dungeon World does that is UNIQUE or GOOD they immediately get blown the fuck out when they learn that other games do what Dungeon World does, except better. I have taken a look at the game; it is a poor remake of Apocalypse World, made by developers who barely understand Apocalypse World's mechanics or flavor, and proceed to shit themselves by tacking on D&D mechanics like hit point bloat and then jack themselves off when they manage to bullshit a 16 hp elder dragon into seeming threatening by outright lying to the PCs. They basically went through AW with a thesaurus and rewrote the moves into cringeworthy crap. "Read a sitch" (situation) is now "Discern Realities".... fucking really? It uses the D&D stats despite having no reason to, other than to cash in on that precious precious "it's D&D but not D&D" quality points, which is the only fucking thing Dungeon World has going for it. It's more popular than Apocalypse World because it's high fantasy, which is THE most popular RPG genre. It's a shitty rip-off of a good game readapted for a genre that plebs enjoy and play en-masse. Where there is not a single thing the game does that is unique or sets it apart from other RPGs.

It's not worth playing.
>>
>>54367804
Ok. Then Tell me a good system to introduce completely new players to TTRPGs.
>>
>>54367955
It's a pasta, pay it no heed.

DW is a perfectly okay introduction, it's simple and plays well.
>>
>>54367955

Honestly I'd suggest running Apocalypse World over Dungeon World for this. I love Apocalypse World but I think Dungeon World falters as it uses too many concepts from D&D that means with the framework.

If you want to play a D&D style game I'd suggest the D&D 5E starter set it's actually a great introduction to new players I've found.

Though ignore the hate Dungeon World will be fine too.
>>
>>54366980
The first thing you should do is discard Dungeon World and use Apocalypse World: Fallen Empires. It has all the PbtA and fantasy without any of DW's sheer crappiness and incompetence.

As for magic equipment, make it magic. Don't think in stats.
A knife that turns black when its wielder's life is in danger.
A spear that pierces minds.
A robe painted in images of creatures that come to life as they are fed the blood of your enemies.
>>
File: decent module.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
decent module.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>54367955
Anything OSR.
>>
>>54371678
Wouldn't introducing anything OSR to complete newbs be kinda... mean?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.