[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ role-playing system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Has /tg/ ever made thier own role playing system?

Maybe we should. Alot of us have experience writing modules and DM-ing and we may make a fun open source role-playing system.

Any ideas on how to start?
>>
>>54361489
>Alot
>contributing absolutely nothing besides "pls come up with ideas for me"
fuck off, and read some rule books.
saged.
>>
>>54361512
OP here,
So I can start things off.

First off this would be open source, and the rules would be free and available to everyone.

The system would be universal in scope, allowing all sorts of settings, time periods, and characters. However, a central theme should be uniform (let's not make a gurps clone basically).

To start discussion about that can be then maybe thinking that no matter the game setting, there are universal elements found in each game, these would be the stats and what the represent.

Any way we cut it for physical attributes, attributes that allow contact of magic or wonderous power can be two side of the same coin. These two attributes would center the games theme. A dialectical existence. For example, it can be called black and white, or soul and heart, whatever they are, they are somewhat antithetical of each other but still colors or parts of being.

Anyone else what to contribute.

I'm just thinking that we could make something really special since we are all anonymously making suggestions to a system that no ibe person leads in design. We as a site/board have a unique perspective on how role-playing can be
>>
>>54361667
>The system would be universal in scope, allowing all sorts of settings, time periods, and characters. However, a central theme should be uniform (let's not make a gurps clone basically).
GURPS, then, but with a setting that has multiple points along the timeline fluffed out for play.

>A dialectical existence.
Or Fate, again just with a single setting with multiple time periods to play in.

>I'm just thinking that we could make something really special since we are all anonymously making suggestions to a system that no ibe person leads in design.
AdEva is what happens when you crowdsource system design, and AdEva is shit. Well, there additional reasons for it, but one of the primary ones was too many cooks.

Settings still have this problem, but it's easier to change a setting than it is to change a system. Regardless, both benefit from something /tg/ is actually decent at: crowdsourcing ideas that you then fuck off with into your game designer den and come out with something presentable a few months later.
>>
>>54362599
So what if I cook up a system and come back and have the board tear it apart finding flaws?

I can write up a concept and see how it can be improved on.

I'll be back
>>
>>54362835
That'll work out much better, I think, as long as you're clear about the intended use of the system, e.g. if you say it's realistic, then someone asking for cinematic or wacky shit should be taken with a grain of salt. Every video game, movie, tabletop system, etc. benefits from having a strong creative lead as long as that lead isn't bad at their job. The only way to get better is practice.
>>
The bases of the system is metaphysical existence. Realism is not a focus, instead character development and story progression are the pillars of the system.

There are 7 stalks all existence comes from

They are 5 colors, and each race and class is a combination of these colors, creating a game balanced around speciality and purity against adaptibility and openeness.

Red is the fire of existence. Maybe vitality and construction

Blue is the waters of existence. Strength and power

Green is the wind of existence. Dexterity and skilll.

Yellow is the energy of existence. Stamina and reflex.

Purple is the nature of existence. Will and wisdom

There are also two shades

White, which is light. Faith and Intellegence.

Black, which is darkness. Magic and Charisma.

So the idea is a spell caster can draw from careful study and practice, trust and insight or from harsh minipulation and control, mastery and experience. Both can draw from the same pools of elements, but use them much differently.

Let's say a white and black spell caster use fire then electricity. The white mage would use fire to heal wounds and light darkness. A black mage would use fire to burn and singe it's foes. While a white mage would use electricity as a ward to fight foes, shocking and electricuting. But a black mage would use electricity to heal and energize it's friend.

The setting is a world without form, organized by a high God, a once being that has now the power to create works. This God or council of gods advances matter towards Intellegence and gives them bodies to enable them to grow into Gods themselves if they can achieve it. Some Gods form religion to guide thier children, others just let the world quitely exist without intervention. Each world is different, but the manner existence is, elements, magic and the two shades are always consistent. A God is not able to change these base concepts of existence.
>>
>>54363297
To explain races, races are Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, and purple or a dual combination. Same with classes.

For example a red race can be orcs or super mutents. A race can also be called a background or upbringing, so a red race (if a campaign is only human) can be Viking or grew up homeless and fought hunger and illness, giving the character a huge immune system and strengthened it's base of health. the race "Red" is a blanket term that covers a whole myriad of possible races, new and old.

A class is cut the same way, so a green class is highly skilled. In your campaign you can be, for example, a baseball team, the green class would be the pitcher. Again, the class "Green" is merely a blanket that standardizes any number of classes from conventional games.

Together, you can make a pitcher that grew up homeless in New York. Or an orc ranger. Making him a red race in a green class.

If, hypothetically, this pitcher and this orc met, they would be nearly identical in stats and feats.
>>
Dungeons the Dragoning 40,000 7th Edition
>>
>>54362599
AdEva was actually pretty good in its own way. It definitely suffered the scars of its production style, but strong thematic focus was enough to rein it in to the point that it was substantially better than most of the games I see on my LGS shelves. I mean, considering that like 80% of it is junk noone will ever touch.
>>
>>54361667
>Let's make a generic, universal roleplaying system
>It can't be like GURPS

Okay.
>>
>>54361489
Let me save you the trouble. 3-5 people will dedicate more time to the system than everyone else or be the only people making progress. Then they will take it to a discord so they can get their thoughts done faster. Then the system random pops out some time later or is dropped.
>>
>>54361667
>The system would be universal in scope, allowing all sorts of settings, time periods, and characters. However, a central theme should be uniform (let's not make a gurps clone basically).

The issue is that systems do not handle everything in terms of tone.

GURPS is always gonna be "3d6 roll under skill" with a big ol' list of skills.

Something like that is less good at adding narrative tension and needs a fuckton of hammering to do certain things well.

There is no such thing as a universal system because how you define and measure a character massively informs how the system runs and how players handle the game. If you are always defining people by classes and races, those are questions that will be asked. If you are always going to give everything something in a category, that becomes a vital lens for the players to view the gameworld.

What you want is a system that can handle a theme well, not a system that tries to be universal.
>>
File: TGGetsShitDone.png (66KB, 1107x451px) Image search: [Google]
TGGetsShitDone.png
66KB, 1107x451px
>>54361489

Dude, we've successfully kickstarted at least one system book. (Engine Heart, but I'm waiting for Mosaic)
>>
Hail and Kill is my personal favorite /tg/ project.

There's plenty of them. I work part-time for a second-rate PnP publishing company and plenty of /tg/ ideas have wound up in material we sell.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.