[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for DMs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: KZ5cB2M[1].jpg (267KB, 493x800px) Image search: [Google]
KZ5cB2M[1].jpg
267KB, 493x800px
In DnD/PF, when you're creating an NPC you know is probably going to end up fighting the PCs (or a villainous NPC who is guaranteed to fight them) do you actually bother creating full character sheets for them and doing the whole laborious level-by-level build thing?

Or do you just write out the relevant stats on a piece of paper along with their stuff and abilities and just call it a day?

Pic the opposite of related
>>
>>54359560
Depends on how important they are. The more presence said NPC has on the overall structure of the game, the more likely I am to build a full character, level by level.
>>
>>54359580
This. Main villain gets a sheet, most other npcs fall into some npc category where they just take their stats out of the MM or whatever. Also stealing premade stats for a character of their level and class works well.
>>
>>54359647

I've kind of fallen into the loop of knowing what I want out of someone who needs to be a threat to the party. Their BAB, their AC, their HP, and their saves.

Then I just make up what they had on them after the PCs win.

Does this make me a bad person
>>
I don't usually make a sheet and level them like a character, just because most of my villains aren't pc classes, I usually tend to make up custom abilities for them.
I like my big boss fights to have multiple phases, with the bosses being able to take a couple of actions a turn, as well as having the terrain changing throughout the fight and sometimes adding some followers for the villain, keeps thing interesting in what can be a long fight against one enemy.
>>
>>54359670
No, at least as long as they never figure out. Basically you want the players to always THINK you stated these guys out in detail, even if there is nothing that could be further from the truth.
>>
>>54359756
I think sometimes its actually better not to nail down all of the details, and figure things out during the fight, depending on how things are going. If the fight has gone on long enough, and its just going to be a couple boring rounds of hitting a cc'd enemy till he dies, I have him die fast, if the fight is going to easy, I make it harder.
>>
>>54359802

God bless the DM screen
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.