[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FNM Promos no More

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 31

File: 4jfEhASU2A.png (54KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
4jfEhASU2A.png
54KB, 265x370px
Where where you when FNM promos were kill?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/store-play-evolves-2017-07-16

>We are making two changes that are related—FNM "seasons" now align with set releases, and promos, which have previously been foil cards, will now be foil double-sided tokens.

>The second is a move to foil double-sided tokens from the then-current set rather than foil cards from recent Standard-legal sets. We're hoping foil double-sided tokens offer something different and exciting. The player response has been very positive toward the recent foil Zombie tokens and the Thopter/Servo tokens, and they keep asking us for more venues in which we can give these out. We think players will find these rewards interesting and a fun reward for playing.
>>
>>54354607
How Jewish of them.
>>
File: IMG_0886.jpg (27KB, 240x334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0886.jpg
27KB, 240x334px
>FNM and standard are dying, how do we save it?
>Uh...kill it even faster
>>
>>54354607
we could use some foil wurmcoil engine masterpiece tokens.
>>
File: 1500110671532.gif (6MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1500110671532.gif
6MB, 480x270px
>>54354607
One less reason to go to FNMs.

Dipshits will more money than brains though will probably buy the fancy tokens for like $10 a piece to bling their deck. *shrug* Might be better than getting a promo of some bulk rare.
>>
File: wurmcoil_engine.jpg (72KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
wurmcoil_engine.jpg
72KB, 312x445px
>>54354607
Remember when promos were worth a damn?
>>
>>54354607
It's part of the plan to kill formats that aren't standard. By making FNM shit and Showdown better, those players who get one day a week to play Magic will prioritise Standard over the multi-format FNM.
>>
>>54354607
Holy shit, why are they stopping that? Aether hub was gre-
Wait, are those foil Guay lands? Including the C16 Swamp?

Good job, Wizards, good job
>>
>>54354607
why does wizards hate the secondary market so much?
>>
>>54354844
The draft weekend promo is like $20.
>>
>>54354607
>foil tokens
Fuck, they may as well just give out nothing. That's probablt next.
>>
>>54354853
But in a majority of places FNM is still standard. This hurts more than it helps.
>>
>>54354843
Right, like those 0.20$ Eldrich Moon double-sided foil tokens.
>>
File: 1416244500292.jpg (55KB, 335x441px) Image search: [Google]
1416244500292.jpg
55KB, 335x441px
>>54354865
>Why does Wizards hate the market that nets them 0 money on their IP
>>
>>54354855
I hope you like playing standard on your saturday mornings.
>>
>>54354607
Meh/10. Honestly, ghost rares at one per box on average are fine enough. Reward people for buying a box and cracking it, don't reward people for showing up to fnm because lgs will just scalp any good promo they know is worth money.
>>
There's two types of prizes that exist in gaming:
- something that is used in the game
- something that helps you play the game without impacting the game

I don't fucking understand why people get excited for the latter. I don't need a fucking water bottle or t-shirt or hat when I win a golf tournament; I want fucking balls or clubs or even better, goddamn membership or a pass.

Likewise with Magic why the fuck do I want dice and tokens or useless cardboard deck boxes or dividers. I want fucking cards that are used to play the game you dense motherfuckers.

We're going from possibly being able to earn a playset of some dogshit promo a month to earning ZERO of anything useful a month.
>>
>>54354873
>20

Actually it's 5$
>>
why are big corporation trying to sugarcoat and conceal every move of their assfucking?

i would prefer, and trust them more, if they just said
>we've decided we need to fuck you in the ass to keep our business going, in fact it was a mistake to not have done it earlier,it might hurt a bit, but don't worry, we will use lube

than
>our data indicates that our consumers manifested high interest in prostate exams and as part of our consumer rewards system we decided to introduce you to new and exciting ways to enjoy biting your pillow, and it's all in your best interest we promise

We understand they are a business and it's their objective and right to try to sell us different products while giving us less value for more money.
Why should anyone pretend otherwise?
>>
File: Really..png (93KB, 1094x611px) Image search: [Google]
Really..png
93KB, 1094x611px
>>54354949
But it's not.
>>
>>54354927
The secondary market fuels the purchase of booster packs and boxes. Re-sellers buy them en masse to get good cards.
>>
>>54354986
Because that's just the way Bureaucracy works. That honestly dishonest business jargon is just another reason to hate The Companies in this Orwellian Cyberpunk Dystopia we're headed towards.
>>
>>54355045
>responding to someone who is being intellectually dishonest on purpose for (you)s
>>
>>54354865
It doesn't. It could kill that market right now by offering individual reprints of all cards for a flat rate regardless of rarity and usher in a new age of Magic and eternally BTFO richfags and their three thousand dollar decks. But they won't because it would make said richfags who only buy secondary anyway mad.
>>
>>54354607
I wonder if this was their call or Hasbro's.
"Why are you giving people free cards?" "To reward people for coming to-" "You sell cards, you don't give them away for free. No more free cards."
>>
File: inebatp.jpg (33KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
inebatp.jpg
33KB, 625x626px
>>54355014
>SCG
>>
>>54355070
Giving away a promo token costs the same as giving away a promo real card. If it was Hasbro they'd say no all together. You can argue there's an opportunity cost (Now people wont open Kaladesh packs for Aether Hubs) but when you only print uncommons I don't think thats true. Clearly Wizards thinks this will attract more people.
>>
>>54355097
Well, it will if the tokens are good. Would you rather a random uncommon or a neo-phyrexian bear token? What about an Eldrazified Gobbo, or some sort of shredded zombies?
>>
>>54355087
It's $15 on TCGPlayer, but its still a decent money card. Glorybringer was also a $10 card. You can't fault their recent promo choice.
>>
>>54355067
so you're saying if they keep doing the fnm promos like they are now it's going to make richfags mad?
or are you just choosing to conveniently ignore that point to spin your narrative.
>>
it's unbelievably shitty for players for them to do this. like, it's just undisguised shitting on the players with no upside whatsoever, either for us or for WOTC. it's unbelievable. it doesn't even save them money. it's just shitting on the players for no reason. they just print awful sets and make it shittier to play their game and expect us to thank them and act like they're The Voice Of The Fans. it's so completely fucked.

i hope someone tells MaRo and everyone else to go fuck themselves at HasbroCon
>>
>>54355138
I can fault your stupid thinking that it actually is worth it, or will be in 3 days outside of some overpriced stores. There are already listings on e bay for 8.

The card is decent, but you are retarded with your "OMG TWENTY DOLLA$ GUYZ, WIZARDS IS KILLIN IT"
>>
File: 1476406834511.gif (321KB, 161x169px) Image search: [Google]
1476406834511.gif
321KB, 161x169px
>>54354607
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
>>54354865
>wizards
>secondary market
Both are fucking shit right now, fuck off (((Rudy)))
>>
>>54355134
I'd rather they put sweet art on uncommons that are format staples.
>>
>>54354986
>sugarcoat
So let's say that you work for a corporation where there is a record of every fucking thing you say to the public.

One day you get reviewed. Someone is going to go through every fucking thing you have written down on record and they will need to see that you've done your very best to mitigate anger or hatred that would impact the performance of the firm. The people typing this horseshit up know this and they know that it's the difference between a promotion or not or getting fired or not depending on how well they express fucking the customer up the ass.

And now you know why CEOs that bankrupt a company into the ground somehow find jobs elsewhere as a CEO again. It doesn't matter if they outrageously fucked some people in the ass - good or bad actions are necessary in their position, what is important that they DID IT IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE. And in the future their most valuable asset is showing that they are capable of keeping the idiotic public as happy and ignorant as possible.

"Open kimono" is not the best policy. In fact, it's the worst fucking policy when dealing with the public. The only people who work with the actual facts are the lawyers and the accountants. So let me bring up a hypothetical situation. A CEO fires 10% of the staff for no good reason; well, guess what that CEO puts on his CV; they "cut costs and improved margins" and they pull up the numbers following that action and it proves that yes, indeed they cut costs and improved margins; it's right there on the public financial report. That guy looks like a fucking genius to everyone in the business even though the customer is bitching and complaining that customer service or quality has gone to hell.
>>
>>54355193
but anon everyone here knows the secondary market isn't real :>) be sure to buy the newest box of Hour of Devastation! (tm) at your next FNM!
>>
>>54355237
>uncommon
>format staple
Let's assume that wizards continues to print format staples, like Push, at uncommon. They already know what is a staple, thus they're less likely to print it in the first place, since you crack packs for one anyways. It also doesn't mean you won't get staples with alternate art, you just won't get them at fnm, but maybe in a precon or a duel deck.
>>
File: 87.jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
87.jpg
55KB, 312x445px
>>54354607

> Only promo I really want.

K.
>>
>>54355172
Perhaps I didn't explain well enough, what I'm trying to say is that they offer a service that allows you to custom order speciffic cards from older sets, ones from packs that are no longer in circulation, charging for the additonal
cost of producing them in small batches. Imagine all the popular cards from before, say, the Theros block being available to order directly from Hasbro. Suddenly richfags decade old cards will be worth the cardboard they're printed on. The secondary market would crumble.
>>
>>54355306
They don't want to do that because the secondary market indirectly makes them huge piles of cash.
>>
Why the fuck is an article being published on Sunday?

God, they're officially the government. Announce shit on the weekend so fewer people pick up on it.
>>
>>54355306
then you just don't do that, you start fixing the market now and let anyone who wants to keep their "old money" cards from older sets keep it.
this is what it looked like they were trying to do with promos but we're taking a step backwards now.

we don't need reprints of older cards that have insane value but cards like fatal push (9 dollar uncommon) need reprints because it's a fucking 9 dollar uncommon that every black deck has to run in standard.
>>
>>54355325
Really? How?
>>
If WotC doesnt care about secondary market why is the reserved list still a thing? Or is that going to burst with the two upcoming Masters sets?
>>
>>54355352
Do you think people would open packs if they didn't think there was a chance of a money card? It's like a scratch card.

This is inflated more by Modern Masters where Wizards charges 3x much because they put Fetches in.
>>
>>54355352
The secondary market purchases huge sums of product from the primary market. Every time there is a chase mythic that half the format needs to run playsets of, a large sum of boxes are cracked to amass those playsets.
>>
>>54355293
Isn't that card like a thousand big ones
>>
>>54355415
>>54355463
Okay, I see. That makes sense.
>>
File: Sup Gayboy.jpg (30KB, 386x500px) Image search: [Google]
Sup Gayboy.jpg
30KB, 386x500px
>>54355413
>Time Walk in sealed
>>
>>54355521
Still much worse than time walk in any other format.
>>
>everyone complains about the FNM promos being shitty cards
>they decide to make them better, which is why we're getting shit like Hub and Push
>for whatever reason, they decide to do away with this for tokens. despite improving the FNM promos

I get mixed messages from wizards all the time. Like two different entities are making decisions for the company who aren't communicating at all.

Why not give the tokens at prereleases still? Why not give them with sealed products like commander and starter decks? Why not give them with boxes? Why not have a chance to open one in a pack, making people more interested in opening packs?

All of these are ways to supply the demand for foil tokens. They were doing a pretty good job with the FNM promos, finally.

The only way I can see this being some fiscal-based decision is if they were in bed with third party sellers, because it increased supply for chase cards, which is what everyone who plays wanted. It costs the same to them either way, and realistically, these promos being good cards should actually improve sales because newer players have something to work towards (placing high to get a useful card for their collection, keeping them coming to FNM and participating).
>>
>>54355797
I think it's because they are completely out of touch with their playerbase and just look at their charts or marketing techniques.

I can see them changing something that most people are currently happy about, because tokens ranked higher on the latest survey or something.
>>
>>54355927

Yeah, but it's weird to not try to work with the feedback from AFTER you made those changes. We're talking about feedback that was given during shit like SOI where we had really garbage FNM promos, and the zombie tokens were new, flavourful and exciting. Working with that feedback isn't really a good decision, especially in the context that they've improved the FNM promos drastically.
>>
>>54354607

Ahahahahaahaha oh wow. So after the Fatal Push FNM promo, I'll no longer have any reason to go to FNM anymore. Nice, see ya later, Standard and Modern.
>>
>>54355797
>The only way I can see this being some fiscal-based decision is if they were in bed with third party sellers
I have difficulty believing that because of how little money it represents (relatively, it probably still accounts for 5+ figures for CFB and SSG).

Maybe its another step in many steps (like nerfing Judge foils, prerelease promos, release promos) killing FNM promos. Maybe the ultimate goal is to kill good promos entirely; we're almost there to be honest.

Maybe one group of promos (FNM promos) doesn't impact the secondary market but all the promos do. But that strikes me as an incredibly incompetent issue in negotiations. Like could you imagine if SSG goes to Wizards (and they have) and complains about promos being too good impacting their bottom line? That just strikes me as a level of godawful pettiness that I wouldn't accuse my worst enemy of having.

I mean maybe you're 100% right. I already think Wizards are as fucking disgusting as Valve or Blizzard when it comes to things like this. They're successful but it's because they've sold their souls to make money from the most retarded portion of the market.
>>
>>54355797
Wizards seems very much like Sony's Playstation department this Console Generation. They practically fell into their sucess by mostly being not as bad as their competitors at the start, but they don't really know why they are successful. They also have a significant fanbase that's incredibly apathetic to the company's policies and just keeps buying product at regular intervalls, stifling any need to actually have a good look at themselves.
>>
I've been out of MTG for a couple years, can someone give me a quick rundown on the difference between FNM and Showdown? Why are there two standard things in the week but Showdown seems to be pushed more heavily despite being newer?
>>
>>54356595
They offer different prizes, and AFAIK FNM does not have to strictly be standard, so WOTC pushes for people to play Showdown so that people play standard?
>>
>>54356595
FNM gives out FNM promos. It's on Fridays. Can be any officially sanctioned format your store wants.

Showdown is similar and on Saturday or Sunday. Standard only. Gives Showdown Packs instead of promos. (Containing right now two standard legal rare/mythics a standard foil and a full art land)
>>
>>54356595
at my shop fmn is modern draft and edh and the standard showdown is standard
>>
>>54355413
They've stated specifically that there are no Reserved List cards in either of the upcoming Masters products.
>>
LOL at this company. They show just how greedy they are after each and every "announcement." When was the last time they announced something that players actually wanted? That was valuable? That was fun? Any time they post an article you know something is being taken away from you, are (((they))) are pushing you more and more toward standard.

We really need a competitor card game to push this trash company out of the market
>>
>>54356921
>when was the last time they announced something that the players actually wanted? That was valuable? That was fun?

arguably, when they announced Unstable.
>>
>>54354607
I just don't understand. Why don't they put something people REALLY want for those promos? So difficult would be some standar staple from Ixalan each month?

What will be even funnier is the fact that they will deliver foil tokens without alternate art. They are jews and, instead of tempting me and my casual gf to go to FNM, now I will just assisst to the local standard league. My gf possibly won't touch a LGS never again because those promos was their little consolation prizes for her crap deck.
>>
File: 1498663995350.jpg (122KB, 499x326px) Image search: [Google]
1498663995350.jpg
122KB, 499x326px
>>54357500
Fatal Push, and Aether Hub is a decent card.
>>
File: IMG_6278.jpg (13KB, 262x271px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6278.jpg
13KB, 262x271px
>>54357558
>>
>>54357686
>>
>>54356921
what >>54356954 said. Ixlan sound pretty cool too imo
>>
File: 1491423799130.png (168KB, 619x508px) Image search: [Google]
1491423799130.png
168KB, 619x508px
>>
>>54358049
They can put out quality products and still be anticonsumer as fuck
>>
>>54358049
>>54356954
>Unstable
you don't know anything about the set but you're convinced that it's what you want, that it's valuable and that it's fun. You've sucked MaRo's dick long enough that his propaganda eroded your brains, congratulations. Have you preordered it yet like a good goy you are? I bet you had.
>>
>>54357739

I laughed heartily
>>
>>54354865
because the secondary market nets wizards literally 0 money. why the fuck would they care about it?
>>
well promos were basically the only reason i went to FNM sometimes so i guess its just kitchen table magic for me from now on
>>
>Secondary market gets BTFO again

Thank Christ, i hope WotC continues to shit all over those kikes.
>>
>>54359783
>kikes shitting on other kikes
k
>>
I think this might be the first thing they've done that's so obviously terrible that MaRo isn't even defending it on his Tumblr. And that dude will defend anything.

>>54359783
It doesn't even need to be about the secondary market! Even if you don't give a shit about the secondary market, tokens are just way worse prizes than promos! It's a much shittier experience for players even if you don't care about the money at all!
>>
If I didn't own so many cards from the 90's I'd liquidate my collection right now, thank god I mostly buy from the secondary market so mark doesn't see a dime from me but they keep testing me really hard with all of this.
>>54355344
I kek'd.
>>54355413
If the reserve list ever goes I'm out for good.
>>
FNM buy out when?
>>
>>5435460
I'm all for getting Guay Basics, but this just seems so fucking stupid.
10 bucks says they are gonna reverse this decision by the end of the year.
>>
>>54360103
>If the reserve list ever goes I'm out for good.
This means we don't fucking need you so don't let the door hit you on the way out.
>>
I won the Aether Hub promo at FNM and while I don't play standard it was cool winning a card that's good that I can sell for money. I don't need tokens, I can print cool tokens from my computer that I'm probably going to like more than whatever the promo ones are.
>>
File: 1479054072715.jpg (113KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1479054072715.jpg
113KB, 720x960px
>my store hands out promos free with attendance
gonna get me like 12 fatal pushes
>>
>>54360103
>thank god I mostly buy from the secondary market so mark doesn't see a dime from me
Where exactly do you think that the secondary market gets its cards?
>>
I seriously can't believe there are people not only defending this move, but are shaming people complaining about this change.
>>
>>54361814

>(((Weisel)))
>>
>>54361814
I dont even care about the promos so much since the store would just give good chubnks of store credit to even top 8 or 4 if they decided to split but thats bullshit, tokens over promos is a step down in every way
>>
>>54355293
>actually wanting nuPhyrexia

Yikes
>>
>>54355927
>I think it's because they are completely out of touch with their playerbase

We've known this for a long time on the fluff end of things, they've burnt pretty much anyone who played for the fluff at this point and the only thing keeping anyone around is EDH. I wouldn't be surprised to find this is the case for design too.
>>
>>54357739
delet

snek dad did nothing wrong
>>
File: holy-shit-tigger.jpg (45KB, 500x293px) Image search: [Google]
holy-shit-tigger.jpg
45KB, 500x293px
>>54362005
he does not like the best phyrexia
>>
File: Daleks.jpg (76KB, 946x532px) Image search: [Google]
Daleks.jpg
76KB, 946x532px
>>54363482

I bet you liked the power ranger daleks too
>>
>>54363610
>13th is a woman
I hope her character isn't just "I have a vagina"
>>
>>54363633
It's going to be.
>>
>>54355213
>that image
Good taste
>>
>>54363633
"I find it easier to run know with nuttin tween my legs"
>>
>>54363610
God fuck no, I was spared that particular shit (I only watch Dr.Who sporadically).

But New Phyrexia was as good as the old one. Especially the white faction, they really turned shit up to 11 with the porcelain and machine orthodoxy.

>>54363633
haha, nah, she'll be just that and telling people how being a man all this time was stifling her creativity.
>>
>>54354607
>no more real cards, only tokens
>last promo is fucking fatal push

How much if a cluster fuck will FNM be in september?
>>
>>54363633
God I hope so! Never jump to conclusions, but be cautious, for we have yet to find how much cynicism is enough for the world. After all, Promos were just ended.

>>54363663
At least the last promo is of a chase rare, but yeah, why did WotC cheap out again?
>>
>>54354909
More like $2
>>
File: 1499634400236.png (227KB, 356x272px) Image search: [Google]
1499634400236.png
227KB, 356x272px
>print nothing but jank unplayable garbage as promos for YEARS with the only exceptions being Aether Hub and Fatal Push.
>get surprised when attendance doesn't get better, especially when we've had MODERN STAPLES as promos for a time
>better cancel it, lol
What the fuck?
>>
>>54361814
Wizard has a network of promoters on payroll who larp as """"consumers"""" to still on social media for them. These are the same people who get cards early and post YouTube videos about how the newest set is the best set yet.
>>
>work makes me come in on fridays for overtime
>I hate Amonkhet limited and love brewing janky decks

Now that they're pushing Saturday Showdown, I just hope people actually show up so I don't just face the same 3 people again
>>
>what should have been done
analyze the meta decks of the format and choose specific uncommons that see high levels of play then print those as FNM promos
or
full art lands or alt art rare lands as promos
>what was done
have some tokens you shits

granted I do like having a full collection of tokens but I know already that they won't print the tokens that are being used by meta cards and instead print their meme tokens like foil Ragavan or some common embalm creatures that no one uses outside of draft

when I could actually use some Dragonmaster outcast tokens or more cool generic tokens like 2/2 zombie or 4/4 angel
>>
File: 1486365860717.png (585KB, 903x455px) Image search: [Google]
1486365860717.png
585KB, 903x455px
Wasn't the justification they used for making the promos horseshit that it would bring all the spikes to the scene and deny Timmy his long wished promo cards? I remember seeing that somewhere.

I swear to god WOTC is the most ass backwards company and the only reason why the get away with half the shit they pull is because they essentially have a monopoly on TCGs that don't come from Japan.
>>
>>54364134
The owner of my LGS always said standard showdown is meant to be a friendly environment to play silly decks, I had a friend who made a standard legal commander deck and just played with that, but it seems like wizards are pushing it as just the build up to the store championship, which means people are going to best testing more competitive decks, which means new players are either going to have to adapt fast or not bother.

This shake up is going to hurt wizards, you heard it here last, folks.
>>
File: dragons.jpg (116KB, 255x361px) Image search: [Google]
dragons.jpg
116KB, 255x361px
So why is Gonti in everybody's sideboard? What exactly is he supposed to counter?
>>
File: 1486372925847.jpg (17KB, 365x355px) Image search: [Google]
1486372925847.jpg
17KB, 365x355px
Speaking of Wizards and their awful business practices, we're only getting 5 decklists per format from MTGO dailies.
>On Monday, Hour of Devastation prerelease events started on Magic Online at 11 am. Right around that time, an announcement slipped out of Wizards, not on the Mothership but on the much less viewed Magic Online website. The nameless article (attributed to "Wizards of the Coast" rather than a specific author) stated that, starting immediately, Wizards would be cutting the number of decklists published from Magic Online in half—from 10 per format per day to five per format per day. Along with reducing published lists, Wizards would also be changing the way the lists were selected. In the past, the 10 lists were chosen at random. Moving forward, the five lists will be random but with the caveat that there won't be any overlap (so the same archetype can't be published twice on the same day).

>Wizards cited a couple of reasons for this change. First and foremost, Wizards believes that publishing too many deck lists from Magic Online causes the format to become solved too quickly and that cutting back on lists would solve this problem. Second, Wizards stated: "Since we have been presenting a random selection of top-performing decks, even if a deck doesn't have a particularly high win rate, it can appear to be extremely dominant if it's widely played. With only this information, it's not possible to disentangle win percentage and metagame percentage. This can lead, and at times has led, to feedback cycles where a deck appears more dominant than it would otherwise, which leads to an even greater percentage of play." This basically translates to, "The data we have been publishing is so bad it's messing with the metagame, so we're going to publish worse data to solve the problem."

What the fuck?
>>
>>54364660
The 5 decklists isn't even as bad as not having more than one deck per archetype.

They're trying to hide how unhealthy Standard is, and it's going to bite them when they fuck up and make it shitty again.
>>
>>54355511
>>54355463
>>54355415
>>54355352

I'm glad there are people who understand this. WoTC's whole business model relies on the second market, it wouldn't work without it.

Those "kikes" making money on the secondary market, those aren't people competing with Hasbro, those are highly effective marketing teams which Hasbro never has to pay. They could never set prices for their own cards and move them individually as effectively as the network of brick-and-mortar stores and online sellers does, and fans wouldn't respond to them as well even if they could, secondary sellers blur the line between the corporate monster and the fanbase, and that's exactly what Hasbro wants.

I'm not even hating, their business model lets them create new (GOOD) material at a rate unprecedented by any other /tg/ company, as far as I'm concerned they earn my money.
>>
>>54364615
Maybe decks that care about the first few cards on top of the library?

I honestly I have no idea I don't play 60 stuff
>>
>>54364660

lol

Solving standard over and over is why people play standard. This isn't a bad thing, Wizards.

But is standard really that unhealthy right now? I'm building a standard deck for the first time in years, it looks like some of the new hotness from Devastation is around $20, and the best planeswalkers are all $30, but it still looks cheaper and easier than I was expecting. I could build a 3-color constrictor for under $100.
>>
>>54364833

I think people are only running him when its a semi-mirror (control v control or aggro v aggro), i.e. he's good for his cost but only if the other deck has shit you want.
>>
>>54364855
Right at this very second? No. But the past year or so has just been a fucking roller coaster of dominance in order of
>CoCo
>Vehicles/Marvel
>Cat Combo/Vehicles
>Marvel/Vehicles
Things -might- calm down a bit now though.

The big issue here is us having to trust WOTC with the information they give us after their complete incompetence to see something as blatant as the interaction of Saheeli and Guardian and being forced to ban 5 cards out of standard.
>>
>>54364888
>>54364888
>Felidar Guardian
>they printed Restoration Angel as a 1/4 without flash or flying
>and had to ban it

wew
>>
>>54364888
>having to trust WOTC with the information they give us

You can trust them to give you bad information.

No, really, that's flat-out what they said, "Standard is too easy to solve so we're trying to obfuscate the solution".

The MTGO lists just aren't good information anymore, you look at those to see the standard that Wizards was trying to create, then you have to wait for real-life events to see what is actually winning.
>>
>>54364972
Restoration Angel can't blink Walkers.
>>
>>54365019

Oooo, there it is, that's what I was missing.
>>
>>54363988

Last year you got goblin warchief and sylvan scrying. Not really chase cards but still, playable ones.
>>
>>54362040
But anon, the latest research still shows that players love the Gatewatchâ„¢ and Jace is the most popular character ever created in MTG. You are just plainly wrong, get with the times nerd!
>>
>>54364098
I don't think so, that's like 50% of the playerbase of any blizzard game. I know it's hard to believe, but people like that really exist.
>>
File: confused_pikachu.png (478KB, 716x639px) Image search: [Google]
confused_pikachu.png
478KB, 716x639px
> The player response has been very positive toward the recent foil Zombie tokens and the Thopter/Servo tokens, and they keep asking us for more venues in which we can give these out. We think players will find these rewards interesting and a fun reward for playing.

>>54364098
I dunno, Wedge and The Professor seem against it.
>>
Man, I wanted more foil tokens, but not like this. At least I only have to go to FNM 2 weeks each month now. Before I'd have to go every week, trying to get that promo playset, but now I just need two copies, one for the front and one for the back. Thanks WOTC for saving me some money that would have gone to you.

>>54364134
My LGS is cancelling the showdowns since literally zero people were showing up. It's just hard to get people to care about standard right now.
>>
>>54364972

people like you are the reason we have NWO anon.
>>
>>54366061
It comes down to the tokens being a novelty, they were special, even though only a few actually like and would use said tokens probably. Segmenting isn't good.
>>
>>54354607
Friday Night Magic promo cards should be reprints of cards that are hard to find in Modern and/or Standard. The shit they give us for FNM won't get more people to participate.
>>
>>54366061

I can't speak for Wedge, but the Professor has basically made his entire living on exposing the problems of WotC, and giving a platform for more player/consumer-based arguments. He's as far removed WotC's "network" of promoters as you can be without being a tinfoil-hat nutter like Desolator.
>>
>>54368238
It's a shame that he always try to enforce his SJW bullshit in his twitter
I don't really care about it but it's as annoying as when I try to follow MTGHeadquarters. That twitter just sperg /pol/ memes
>>
>>54354607
>add treasure cards that force you to buy them at high price, luck them ou or buy boxes like a retard to get
>kill fnm promos, cutting people from an easy source of alternate art
All according to keikajew.
>>
>>54357558
Zetsubou snekdad looks really cute.
>>
>>54361814
More like Andrew Weasel.
>>
>>54355097
Hell foiling two sides of a card probably cost slightly more. Now if they were just making all tokens in packs double sided with say 1/10 being foil I'd be ecstatic. But no they are replacing promos with tokens.
>>
File: 3_3_Orihime.jpg (11KB, 200x177px) Image search: [Google]
3_3_Orihime.jpg
11KB, 200x177px
>>54370058
>using twitter
>ever

That's like kicking yourself in your nuts and then complaining how much it hurt you.
>>
>>54355503
250-300 bones from what I see
>>
>>54355927
>Our Market Research Shows That Players Like Getting Okay Rewards From FNM So We Make This Change to Fuck Them In the Ass Elemental
>>
File: d96.jpg (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
d96.jpg
43KB, 500x500px
>>54355293
>tfw the script is sideways to accommodate the text box
>>
So how long do you think it'll be before they backpedal on this?

6 months? One full season of tokens? One month? A week? Tomorrow?
>>
>>54371856

They still haven't backpedaled on getting rid of player point rewards...
>>
>>54372542
Most FNM casuals barely knew what those were, it's not really the same thing.
>>
>>54363647
>>54355213
Top tier as fuck.
>>
File: 1413225288054.jpg (11KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1413225288054.jpg
11KB, 267x200px
>>54354607
>foil double-sided tokens ... rather than foil cards
>We're hoping foil double-sided tokens offer something different and exciting.

HAHAHAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA

THESE NIGGAS

OH MY LAWDY LAWD

They are trolling at this point, there's NO fucking way anybody there would be so retarded they'd think people want fucking TOKENS instead of real cards
>>
File: 1311290202050.png (13KB, 480x323px) Image search: [Google]
1311290202050.png
13KB, 480x323px
>>54354607

Next step: foil ad cards.
>>
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/daily-magic-update/update-2017-07-17

You are all wrong! The chart says you don't like them!
>>
File: goblin-token-43554-medium.jpg (33KB, 281x401px) Image search: [Google]
goblin-token-43554-medium.jpg
33KB, 281x401px
>>54374943
I can get behind foil tokens if it wasn't for FNM promos. Namely because we're at the mercy of the set. Could you imagine if this change came about during DTK and we got those awful goblins?
>>
>>54375184

Better than Kamigawa goblins.
>>
>>54355134
>Well, it will if the tokens are good. Would you rather a random uncommon or a neo-phyrexian bear token?

I would quite honestly rather get almost any real card than a motherfucking token.

Only exception I could think of is if they printed lewd full-art tokens, but that's too Japanese a move for WotC.
>>
>>54375184
dont knock the tiny yetis
>>
>>54375184
Fnm promos were always at the mercy of the set. The idea with tokens might be that they're always reuseable because you're always gonna be making thopters/goblins/zombies/whatever.
Doesn't change the fact that they're a trash incentive to play at fnms, though.
>>
>>54375744
Where I guarantee that I'll have an issue is when they make the tokens embalm/eternalize of specific cards. That's what they'll do and the tokens will even be worthless to people who play real formats.
>>
>>54354607
Please just die already MTG. It's becoming unsightly how you now writhe in pain.
>>
>>54374943
>NO fucking way anybody there would be so retarded they'd think people want fucking TOKENS instead of real cards
Except Reddit. The amount of dicksucking over "free" foil zombie tokens (with the exact same fucking art as the regular ones) was immense.

Wizards is just going to use the fucking retards on Reddit to justify all their dogshit behavior. Because Reddit is constantly dicksucking Wizards because if they bitch and moan hard enough maybe Wizards will send them a care package. The people there get actual official responses from Wizards and they'll eat any excuse thrown at them because they're thirsty for the attention - the exactly same crap beg-reward mentality as the people who ask MaRo questions on his blog.

I don't want to blame that fucking community on that website but it is entirely their goddamn fault.

It's happening everywhere. Blizzard, Valve, Wizards, they have these goddamn defense forces that justify all the crap these companies do to their properties. And the companies in turn use those shit communities and their childish responses to justify their behavior.
>>
>>54375077
Stop giving them ideas.
>>
>>54375911
I suggest you check reddit now. Don't even compare it to Blizzard defense force. MTG subs are actually ok on calling out bullshit, and no company would take any 4chan board seriously.

I know blaming everything on normies and reddit is easy, but be thankful we don't have WoW subreddit or something like that.
>>
>>54375911
>>54376024

Yeah, even Reddit isn't swallowing this plate of shit.

Wizards already has a damage control video out: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/daily-magic-update/update-2017-07-17

So basically they're saying that according to "data" they have and can't show us because it's all made up, the quality of the promo card has almost no impact to FNM attendance, therefore it's a great idea to eliminate FNM cards entirely.
>>
>>54375077
underrated idea.
>>
File: 1496842202047.png (166KB, 365x366px) Image search: [Google]
1496842202047.png
166KB, 365x366px
>FNM on my store actually started to get people to run after we got Aether Hub and Push
>Now it will die again
>Gameday on DIC 30/31
>My store closes these days
>90% of the local players are normies that go to the beach or hang out with their families during new years so they will not come anyway

I will probably sell everything on christmass and be done with this game.
>>
>>54375144
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/daily-magic-update/update-2017-07-17

>Why won't you people play cat decks at FNM?! That's who we want playing magic!

Sweet jesus the people in charge are insane.

Also if the data doesn't show that more people show up to FNM for good promos, then post the actual data faggots, I double dog dare you. I'm not just going to take your word on it.
>>
>>54376024
>>54376296
From RTR to Khans we had a League system where winners won unique tokens. It's sad that most people have forgotten it existed and another thing Wizards abandoned.

I don't care if they refuse to release the data. I wouldn't release valuable research for your competitors to steal. My problem is that whatever their data is, however they're interpreting it is dogshit. The Reddit community is going after the wrong goddamn issue - instead of calling for data transparency (which I think is basically giving FREE money to your competitors) you just need to demand that the game becomes fucking stable and demand a model that works and satisfies people.

And to me, fucking FNM promos or calling for statistics is the wrong goddamn problem. I don't need fucking data to back up the fact that children have zero reason to leave home when they can just fuck around online from anywhere in the world. And the demographic that is willing to pay for your game can just as easily play untold thousands of substitute games even if they're just video games.

The price of the game is outrageous. I don't expect any sane child to play this fucking game. They'll walk into the store, realize that someone is throwing their wallet at the every match, and promptly quit; because nobody wants to play a game with such a high barrier to entry.
>>
>>54376573
this, I've seen many people wanting to get more into the game, only to find out the price os staples and promptly say NOPE.

Moreover the recent banning spree basiaclly made many people at my LGS quit standard because ''fuck it i'm not buying a new deck''
>>
If they really want the fucking tokens so bad, then they should do what FOW did. IIRC, they gave out two different promos. One being a a foil full art stone and the other being a foil full art promo.

My biggest issue here is that they just dropped a system that would have been great for getting uncommon staples out. Remember those two months when Serum Visions and Path to Exile were the promos? I highly doubt that those did not increase player count.
>>
File: hourofdevastation.png (522KB, 448x655px) Image search: [Google]
hourofdevastation.png
522KB, 448x655px
I think accurately describes how I feel right now.
>>
>>54376858

no anon, according to their very real and not made up data FNM attendance is not related in any way to what prizes they give out, and also how dare you play for prizes you should be playing because you enjoy the game
>>
>>54376923
>also how dare you play for prizes you should be playing because you enjoy the game

Like the great philosopher Josef Stalin said, don't listen to what your enemies' mouths say, instead look at what their hands do. If we're supposed to play not for prizes but because we love the game so much, then why fuck are all the cards that let us win Mythic? Why the fuck is the game so incredibly pay-to-win if winning isn't supposed to matter?
>>
>>54376573
But we don't even know who is responsible. This requiers change in the whole mentality. WotC is now comparable to old GW, they simply know better and everyone else is wrong. This is just another case of that.

Calling for transparency is easy, calling for a purge is not something reddit could get behind unless MTG hits the rock bottom.
Thread posts: 165
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.