[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DM help/NPC interaction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1401x788-dwarvenaut_0.jpg (81KB, 933x606px) Image search: [Google]
1401x788-dwarvenaut_0.jpg
81KB, 933x606px
I'm having some troubles running DnD games. I'm sitting in for a DM for a while, running a few non campaign sessions. I'm having trouble getting my guys to interact with their world and NPCs. They don't really seem to want to question these guys or look around their world. It's the third session, and I've had to kind of take it over by forcing NPC interaction and telling them when to do spot checks or listen checks at times when it feels like they should be looking around for something. I REALLY don't like doing this, but I feel like these people DO NOT want to interact with their world. My last game, we had four NPCs that were crucial to the mission, and they wouldn't really talk to them. Am I missing something or do I need to encourage them to talk to them? Am I hijacking their chances to talk to them without noticing?
>>
It's a temperament thing anon. Some players aren't interested in the world. Mine are, for example, to the point where they assume every throwaway NPC is important and the session drags out.

Do you have like, really obvious plot hooks? Like someone says "You should talk to X person about this"
>>
>>54354379
The campaign started out with our contact (my NPC) getting a letter to check out kidnappings of local wildlife and villagers. They ran into another dude who sent said letter, who directed them to a guy in a tavern who was witness to it. Near the end of it, we ran into an alchemist who was the main alchemist for the bad guys, then the final guy was the prison warden who knew everything that was going on.
>>
>>54354416

And they just weren't interested?

Maybe they're less into investigations and more into dungeon raids or hexcrawls.

But then, are they not asking things like "what's in this room" or "what do I see"? Usually you just have to say "you're in a room", and if you ask them about the room, then you can ask them for a spot check.

Maybe they just wanna murder things, in which case dialogue-heavy and plot heavy things aren't their game.

Did you have a talk about what they want out of a game before session 0?
>>
>>54354452
>And they just weren't interested?
Seems like it. At first they were asking "Where do we go" etc etc, but I wanted them to convince this guy who was drinking himself stupid due to being traumatized where to go, ykno, to keep it realistic. My guess is that put them off. It seems to me they just wanted to get straight to the point, which I get, but I'm kinda sittin there thinking "You don't want any information, just run in and hope for the best?"
>Maybe they're less into investigations and more into dungeon raids or hexcrawls.
Could be, yeah. Or maybe they're stupid. I dunno
>But then, are they not asking things like "what's in this room" or "what do I see"?
They went into this cave and then just had at it. They didn't check for traps or nothing. We had one gal our last game who was actively looking for traps. This session she couldn't come, but apparently that didn't rub off on anyone
>Did you have a talk about what they want out of a game before session 0?
I didn't think to really ask that. I just jumped in and went at it. I'll do that next session. Thats a pretty good idea
>>
>>54354357
They probably have videogame logic ingrained in their heads, its a real syndrome and it comes in various forms.

You got the "I can't do anything unless you tell me where the arrow is pointing at" type. Can be fixed. Ask them what they fear, maybe they don't want to ruin your narrative or something, or maybe they need more detailed descriptions. Ask them.
>>
>>54354357
Have you asked them what they want to do in a game? What they want out of it? As players and in character?

If they're meant to be questioning NPC's why are they meant to be doing that ? Are they investigating a murder or robbery or something interesting in game?

The best way to get players to interact is to give them a clear goal and direction.

You realise in terms of checking for traps you're meant to use passive perception right? Then if they spot it they spot it and you describe that.

Likewise with traps I tend to describe details of mine very obviously when the players approach as the interesting thing is getting around them more than the gotcha of falling into them. Likewise do you really want games bogged down by endless perception checks every moment ?

Do they have multiple options of what they can do and where they can go?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.