[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is my dungeon puzzle soluble?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: DungeonPuzzle.jpg (33KB, 337x337px) Image search: [Google]
DungeonPuzzle.jpg
33KB, 337x337px
Lately I've been trying to come up with my own puzzles to add to dungeons rather than just use monsters or get them from a book. On the other hand I want to make sure the puzzles make sense and aren't too challenging. So I came up with this one where a room has a 6x6 grid of tiles, and a double door at the end. Switches are next to each tile, making a sort of combination lock for the double door. Dots on the wall, in patterns of 1 - 3, indicate how many switches on that sides row or column need to flipped. Jutting from the wall in the upper left is clues as to how to solve it. Plaques, probably in a 2x2 pattern, would give clues to players if needed. Good idea, or should I just abort the whole thing?
>>
Every row and a few of the columns have two numbers. Does this mean add the numbers or pick one that is supposed to be right?
>>
This puzzle is a bit messed up but I can see vaguely what you're trying to do.
Like one of those where looking at it from particular angles changes the profile and you have to construct the 3d from the multiple 2d profiles.
Only this is rather inconsistent as >>54352445 mentioned, since some rows and columns aren't matching. Also without a legend/key, the P, --- and UP arrow lack any context.
Needs a bit of cleaning up.
>>
>>54352445
Each number indicates how many switches need to be flipped on that side of that row or column. I tried doing it with 1 number per row/column but found it didn't provide enough information.

The arrow is where the adventurers enter the room, and the p is where the plaque/s are.
>>
File: Almost solved.png (30KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
Almost solved.png
30KB, 346x346px
>>54352622
That changes things.
This is as far as I can get. The last two switches seem to be dependent on each other.
>>
>>54352245
Dunno, throw it into water and lets see.
>>
>>54352787

There are two solutions to this puzzle.
>>
>>54352245
>>54352787
You're right, guess it's a loss.
>>
File: 1500221502030.jpg (85KB, 711x345px) Image search: [Google]
1500221502030.jpg
85KB, 711x345px
>>54352245
im sorry OP but if i understood your puzzle correctly it A) didnt take too long to crack, and B) has two correct iterations which makes it a bad puzzle, enclosed are my 2 solutions.
>>
>>54352853
Not entirely. So, those last two columns? Change one of them to a 1and the other to a 3 and as far as I can tell the puzzle is fixed.
>>
>>54353101
that might fix the puzzle. but its far too easy.
every line with a 3 is instantly solved because there is only one option. and with the exception of the top right every thing is 3's
>>
>>54353192
I'm working on a variant where the number corresponds to the next 4 cells. More complicated, and requires some logic to solve. Still falls for entanglement issues like those in the original.
>>
File: 1500221502030 (1).jpg (46KB, 573x510px) Image search: [Google]
1500221502030 (1).jpg
46KB, 573x510px
im gonna add one more bit of criticism about the puzzle. its not actually 1 whole puzzle, its 4 insular distinct smaller puzzles that DO NOT interact with each other. the way the puzzle is formated splits it into 4 (NW,NE,SW,SE) puzzles that have no interactions with each other, no information is passed from any one to any other. for all intents and purposes they could be in different rooms all together.
>>
>>54353269
Look at the first letter of each sentence in OP's post.
>>
>>54352795
I came here to make this post
>>
File: 1500223691608.png (21KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
1500223691608.png
21KB, 346x346px
>>54352853
>guess it's a loss
Pretty much.
>>
>>54353929
oh no. have i been trolled by bum tickly?
>>
This is literally picross
What a loss of time
>>
>>54352795
>>54353882
Same
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.