[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bending the Rules?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: amyria-sword.png (98KB, 800x618px) Image search: [Google]
amyria-sword.png
98KB, 800x618px
I have a weird question, /tg/.

When it comes to the requirements of a prophecy, magic or weaponry, how often do you bend the rules? For instance, swords that can only be wielded by someone of a particular bloodline are extremely common, as well as magic that can only be used by a virgin.

If someone is of appropriate moral character, but doesn't meet the criteria, should he still be able to pull it off? I'll leave out the context in this instance, because my most recent session had this come up as a significant problem.

I'll admit that as the DM, the gamist in me feels that the 'rules are rules' idea works better, because fudging the requirements feels a bit too special snowflakish. Like, Excalibur was only there for King Arthur to use, for example, not Lancelot.
>>
I usually lean towards bending with consequences. I think a good policy is to sort of vaguely define the requirements, so you can twist it to actually be what you want later.

Virgin magic might "burn away impure souls" or something, so it works but you die or take damage or are cursed. Maybe sacred prostitutes can use it okay, since sex is a religious act for them; the creepily lecherous but virgin priest can't pull it off.
>>
>>54346784
Honestly?
Never done the "prophecied magic weapon" thing, not even once.
It focuses far too much on one player, and it's a group entertainment thing so that's both not fair and not appropriate.
Which isn't to say that magical weapons don't have stories behind them in my games (they all have so far), they just aren't part of any Arthurian style legendary prophecy of any kind whatsoever.
Weirdly, a favorite weapon of one of my group was an axe I'd specifically designed to have a fairly unremarkable backstory since the player mentioned he didn't care too much, but somehow it ended up being the most popular thing I'd ever written for the group's magical gear.

Kinda like a weapon version of that one-off random NPC that you make up just to fill a scene and for some reason they just attach to them.
>>
>>54346784
The needs of the game outweigh the needs of the setting.
Though I wonder why you would ever not word a prophecy in a way that it sounds meaningful, but can easily be interpreted to apply to anyone of note.
>>
I roll with magic that has arbitrary requirements like bloodline work only with that bloodline, irregardless of morality of the wielder unless I want to change shit for plot reasons.
>>
>>54346880

Well, the "Maiden has great power, gives it up along with her virginity" thing is pretty common, but it leads to horrific implications like rape being a weapon of war.
>>
>>54346905

Yeah, but the prophecy was something like "Only a member of House Ambrose, bearing the True Blood, may take up the blade of the apocalypse."
>>
>>54346784
Scientology has ceremonial swords now.
>>
>>54346784
>should he still be able to pull it off?

No rules are rules whether established by the mechanics or the fiction.
>>
>>54347417
Highly specific prophecies like that are great story tools for video games and books but are usually more trouble than they are worth in group based table top RPGs. If every one is ok with one person getting to be King Arthur and everyone else just being The Knights of the Round Table it's fine but not every one is fine with this than noone should be King Arthur.
>>
>>54346784
As a GM, the rules are my rules. If the players don't know about the changes, then they don't happen.
If they don't see the dice result, it could be anything.
>>
>>54348621

To be fair, it's not really meant for the PCs. The PCs were supposed to deliver a magical weapon to a castle on the border. They were cautioned that anyone not of the bloodline would be struck down.

So in the middle of a fight against the demon pursuers, one of the PCs decided to draw it. I'm honestly leaning towards 'struck down', since the warnings weren't just for show.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.