[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Standard MTG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 41

File: received_10213497316649597.jpg (17KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
received_10213497316649597.jpg
17KB, 265x370px
Standard thread for all you magic players I want to build a deck with this card but having trouble putting it in something
>>
>>54333206
That's because it's a shitty card, anon.
>>
>>54333206
It costs 8 mana, and won't even win the game by itself. This has absolutely no use in standard. With zero way to cheat out enchantments in standard, you wouldn't even be able to get it out in any deck other than a ramp deck, and if you're ramping to 8 you might as well drop an eldrazi instead.
>>
So I'm thinking that a G/R ramp deck might be be viable in standard. I put together just a quick little list not using anything past Kaladesh seeing as those sets are about to rotate out. What do you think? List is currently:
// 60 Maindeck
// 2 Artifact
2 Traveler's Amulet

// 22 Creature
4 Shefet Monitor
4 Glorybringer
2 Ramunap Excavator
4 Ramunap Hydra
2 Greenbelt Rampager
4 Sand Strangler
2 Khenra Scrapper

// 2 Enchantment
2 Unbridled Growth

// 2 Instant
2 Abrade

// 24 Land
2 Sheltered Thicket
4 Hashep Oasis
2 Desert of the Fervent
2 Desert of the Indomitable
2 Hostile Desert
6 Forest
6 Mountain

// 8 Sorcery
2 Rhonas's Last Stand
2 Hour of Promise
2 Beneath the Sands
2 Attune with Aether

// 15 Sideboard
// 2 Artifact
SB: 2 Rhonas's Monument

// 1 Enchantment
SB: 1 Durable Handicraft

// 6 Instant
SB: 2 Struggle // Survive
SB: 2 Life Goes On
SB: 2 Hungry Flames

// 6 Sorcery
SB: 4 Sweltering Suns
SB: 2 Rhonas's Last Stand
>>
I looked at the GP schedule and didn't see anything for standard before the PT. Do I just suck at looking things up, or are there seriously no big standard events to watch before the PT?
>>
>>54333279
Anyone?
>>
>>54333279
This seems terribly ill thought out
You have ramp but you top out at 6 with Shefet Monitor of all things so you're better off just playing normally
>>
If you want something "ramp" but casual I recommend what a friend asked me to build him:

Creature (25)

3x Earthshaker Khenra
1x Glorybringer
2x Omnath, Locus of Rage
2x Pathmaker Initiate
4x Primal Druid
2x Tireless Tracker
1x Ulrich of the Krallenhorde Flip
4x Undergrowth Champion
2x Vizier of the Menagerie
4x Wildfire Eternal

Land (22)

4x Cinder Glade
8x Forest
2x Game Trail
4x Mountain
4x Sheltered Thicket

Sorcery (11)

4x Eldritch Evolution
3x Nissa's Renewal
2x Rishkar's Expertise
2x Traverse the Ulvenwald

Planeswalker (2)

2x Arlinn Kord Flip

Sideboard (15)

2x Appetite for the Unnatural
2x By Force
1x Heaven
3x Khenra Charioteer
2x Mirrorwing Dragon
2x Natural State
3x Sweltering Suns
>>
>>5433327just add some reality smasher, and the crocodile that puts a -1 counter on a creature you control, just put the counter on a mana dork
>>
>>54333369
Its modern season scrub.
>>
File: 145[1].jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
145[1].jpg
62KB, 312x445px
I'm not sure whether to play this or R/U Colossus on Game Day

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-07-17-esper-dredge/
>>
>>54336443
I take it the reason Ula isn't getting run is it can get stranded in hand.
Winged Shepherd might be worth while.
Hour of Eternity might be interesting, but it's a bit color intensive.
>>
>>54337020
>I take it the reason Ula isn't getting run is it can get stranded in hand.

that and it's ridiculously expensive right now
>>
File: Image.png (133KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
133KB, 223x311px
Anyone else been watching SCG open? Seen any interesting decks? Maybe one you want to try out? I liked Todd Stevens' 5c planeswalkers deck with this guy at the top of the curve.
>>
>>54337276
>5c planeswalkers deck

all of a sudden I love Hour of Devastation
>>
File: 2017-07-15_12-03-13.png (1MB, 2010x781px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-15_12-03-13.png
1MB, 2010x781px
We M I L L I N G

Still can't decide if I should switch this to UB or UR instead of mono. Mono feels like it's just low enough in the answers department, but I always feel like otherwise I dilute the mill engine too much.
>>
>>54337276
where can I watch? interested
>>
>>54337862
scgtour on twitch
>>
>>54337642

Remember that each creature removed mills an opponent for one with fraying sanity down.
>>
>>54337642
Naranja, is that you?
>>
File: 51met1fAqcL.jpg (58KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
51met1fAqcL.jpg
58KB, 500x300px
Pretty new to the game, want to buy some decks just for me and my brother to play.

I found this for 50€

https://www.amazon.com/SET-ALL-INTRO-DECK-PACKS/dp/B019YSFZYO

Is this a good thing to buy?

As I said, just for fun, casual, maybe want to extend in the future. And what format would that fall under?
>>
>>54338869
no these are awful. You should look into the Card Kingdom starter decks. They are a lot cheaper and better for new players then starter decks.
>>
Thoughts on my Jund Counters Deck

Main
4 Abrade
4 Ammit Eternal
4 Blooming Marsh
2 Canyon Slough
2 Channeler Initiate
4 Consuming Fervor
1 Cut // Ribbons
4 Dread Wanderer
4 Exemplar of Strength
4 Fatal Push
4 Foreboding Ruins
5 Forest
4 Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons
2 Mountain
4 Obelisk Spider
6 Swamp
2 The Scorpion God

Sideboard
SB: 3 Blossoming Defense
SB: 1 Cut // Ribbons
SB: 2 Lay Bare the Heart
SB: 3 Magma Spray
SB: 3 Manglehorn
SB: 2 Scrapheap Scrounger
SB: 1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
>>
>>54338943
Thanks, I guess you mean those?

http://www.cardkingdom.com/catalog/shop/battle-decks

I wanted every deck to have some kind of different feel to it (mechanicly) and have something of every color if possible. And decently balance between the deck would be pretty good too, as I wont be playing with anyone besides my brother.
>>
>>54339055
The decks all play very differently and will be based around different color mechanics. You could always just buy some cheap singles to upgrade them afterward if you consider them too simple. Better to drop 10 bucks on a fair and balanced start then another 5 to upgrade then buying a really shitty, poorly balanced 25 dollar product.
>>
>>54339055
Wizards puts out things called Planeswalker decks. they are basically promotional premade decks made to go against each other. They are way better put together and feature more interesting dynamics than the basic Intro decks do. Intro decks are as vanilla as possible and do a poor job of showcasing magic properly
>>
File: Image (1).png (122KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).png
122KB, 223x311px
I don't play standard much, but I have a colorless deck in virtually every format besides, so I took a swing at it. Am I missing any glaring issues?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/let-me-be-clear/
>>
Considering the state of standard at the moment, where do you folks actually play?
Standard has completely collapsed at all three LGS in my town. One switched to draft/modern instead of standard/modern on fridays, the other commander, and the third is doing only draft.
I kind of want to switch to MTGO so I can grind out games and start improving, but I'm not sure about spending $100-$150+ on an online deck.
>>
>>54340151
LGS still offers standard right now, we have about 50 or so people show up, it hasn't really died down
>>
>>54338943
>>54339124
Is there any euopean alternative to this? Tax is fucking us over.
>>
File: varg-vikernes[1].jpg (92KB, 762x464px) Image search: [Google]
varg-vikernes[1].jpg
92KB, 762x464px
Stop playing Standard
>>
>>54340452
uhh you could take the deck lists of the products you want to try and buy the cards off some euopean card seller. Might be a lil more expensive or a little cheaper.
>>
>>54340151
Standard's still going strong here. Some people drop, then others show up. Modern might be slightly stronger, but not by much.
>>
My interest in standard is waning. My deck which is mostly SOI/EMN leaves in a few months and nothing from KLD through HOU interests me. Meanwhile, decks that I fucking hate like Temur Energy and G/B energy are losing almost nothing.
I might actually pick up EDH at this rate.
>>
>>54340793
They dont show the deck list.
>>
>>54341579
Nevermind, found them here: http://tappedout.net/mtg-deck-folders/battle-decks-2/
>>
File: twice the value.jpg (1KB, 125x107px) Image search: [Google]
twice the value.jpg
1KB, 125x107px
messing around with an amonkhet/hoD minotaur tribal deck

Creatures: 21
4 Burning fist minotaur
4 ahn-crop crashers
4 bloodrage brawler
4 Neheb the worthy
3 neheb the eternal
3 Minotaur Sureshots

Spells:
4 Abrade
4 supernatural stamina
3 kindled fury
3 cut//ribbons
3 never//returrn

22 lands
4 canyon slough
8 swamp
10 mountain

Decided to mess with a tribal standard.
But today of all days would be the day peopl bust out the vehicles... and didn't have dispossess in sideboard (which is now).

1/2, but when it was online there were so many amazing shenanigans that go down. neheb pumping his eternal self to a 6/6 afflict 3 first strike... pic related.
>>
>>54333206
Gotta agree with the others. This is pretty useless in standard... It's Auto-include in White Commander though, but no one at my LGS has pulled it... frustrating.
>>
>>54340151
Standard is 100% dead at my LGSs. All the good players have moved over to modern after getting their deck banned multiple times, leaving only the occasional group of 15 year olds playing with prerelease chaff in unsanctioned rounds. I showed up for the first time in months on Friday and immediately dropped after realizing how bad it's gotten.
>>
>>54341640
Ignoring all the other problems with your list, you really shouldn't side in disposess versus vehicles. It doesn't even do anything if they played HoK on turn 2, and resolving a 3 mana do nothing spell is only feeding into the deck's game plan.
>>
>>54341640
I can't remember the specifics of the legend rule, do those Nehebs screw each other over if you try to have both on the field?
>>
Its starting to look like uw monument is the real deal judging by the scg open but none of the rares have jumped yet.
I'm a little disappointed, I'm trying to vindicate myself for grabbing my abbeys and militia captains and dusk//dawns but it's starting to just look like selfless spirit and queller are going to eat all the demand
>>
>>54340621
I did.

But what do I do with all these gearhulks?
>>
>>54341798
YO 9-0 WE MADE IT
what even beats this deck lmao?
Probably aggressive midrange to outsize the weenies and pound down before monument gets enough mana to shit creatures and drop ormendahl
>>
>>54341798
>>54342170
I'm actually really happy. Monumental looks like a lot of fun to play.
>>
>>54342441
As a primarily u/w player in standard, I'm happy since I haven't played a grindy midrange deck in standard since jeskai black
>>
>>54342601
Jeskai Black is the dumbest fucking name. It's 4c nigga.
>>
>>54333279
This is an objectively bad deck
>>
>>54342671
it's convention and in that standard there were multiple distinct 4c decks because of the degenerate mana base.
Jeskai black describes the deck that abused baby jace and tasigur to loop crackling dooms and painful truths.
>>
>>54342441
>>54342601
Are there any matches that like, showcase the deck well?
>>
>>54342861
i think the most recent scg opens have a decent representation. It'll definitely be in the vod for today's day 1
>>
File: thescorpiongodt.jpg (27KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
thescorpiongodt.jpg
27KB, 265x370px
Trying to make a Rakdos Scropion God Control deck right now. Having trouble with how much of each to put in and what exactly. Not sure about the big AoE spells. Bontu's Last Reckoning and Sweltering Suns are definitely the prime candidates of stuff I'd want to run, though I really have trouble putting them in without abandoning the -1/-1 playstyle, which I really want to keep.
I'd prefer not to run Chandra, because fuck how much she costs, but I feel like she not only is too good but also doesn't have any real 4-drop competition in her colors.

Anyone got any suggestions for what else could work without adding more colors? Grind // Dust can barely be considered a Mardu splash in my eyes considering Aether Hub is a thing. Also, ignore the Side Board, that thing's still a complete mess.

// 60 Maindeck
// 15
7 Mountain
8 Swamp

// 14 Creature
4 Soul-Scar Mage
3 Ammit Eternal
2 Banewhip Punisher
3 The Scorpion God
2 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner

// 10 Instant
3 Magma Spray
3 Hour of Glory
3 Harnessed Lightning
1 Abrade

// 9 Land
1 Concealed Courtyard
4 Aether Hub
4 Canyon Slough

// 2 Planeswalker
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

// 10 Sorcery
2 Grind // Dust
4 Cut // Ribbons
3 Lethal Sting
1 Bontu's Last Reckoning

// 14 Sideboard
// 2 Artifact
SB: 2 Key to the City

// 5 Creature
SB: 3 Merciless Javelineer
SB: 2 Combustible Gearhulk

// 7 Sorcery
SB: 3 Lost Legacy
SB: 2 Hour of Devastation
SB: 2 Sweltering Suns

Thanks for making a Standard thread, by the way. Shit's way too rare on here.
>>
>>54336443
play wont lose to that new fucking fog deck, that shit is the most annoying thing I've played in months.
>>
>>54342978
Oh and another note: wanna make this deck rotation-safe, so I'd rather not run any "expensive" rotating cards that don't have parallels in Amonkhet or Kaladesh blocks. Already have New Perspectives but only playing that is bound to get boring real fast.
>>
How does this GB energy deck look? Its mostly netdecked from a few places, but with the intention of making it as rotation-proof as I could. (Already had the tireless trackers and the lands)
I was a little worried about the sideboard though. The 3 "good players" at my LGS run RW humans, mono black control, and temur control. I'm not sure if they are exactly those archetypes, but its what they seemed like in the games I got matched with them.
I'm mostly worried about the mono black and the temur decks though. Black's hand destruction and never ending removal spells fucked me over big time with both of my previous decks and with such a creature focused deck, I have a feeling a lot of my shit is going to get countered by the temur player.

So I'm wondering if I should try to squeeze something like Serpopard into the sideboard against the blue matchups or Scrapheap Scrounger for the mono black.
https://deckstats.net/deck-13583048-527d5c0ce922f314ed9905410e624240.html
>>
>>54341749
yes, only one neheb on the field at once, but if you need that +2 pump, you can sack summon, was how i won a game
>>
>>54341718
abrade...
>>
>>54341749
They don't. You can have Neheb the Worthy and Neheb the Eternal out at the same time without any issues.
>>
>>54341749
No, legend rule cares about the name. Neheb the Eternal and Neheb the worthy are not the same name so you can have both on the battlefield. Same with the two thalias.
>>
>>54343477
>>54343599
sorry, no, I thought they were referring to having 4 of a legend creature
>>
>>54341718
it is versitile though, you have to give it that, anyone running torrential gearhulk... good luck winning without your wincon...
and abrade can technically answer it and then in any other match he can take care of any by turn 3. Nothing to sneeze at
>>
I am thinking about buying a competent but budget deck on MTGO because I live in fucking China to play. Are there any good cycling-focused decks that let me do it?
>>
>>54343878
New perspective combo seems like fun.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-new-perspectives-combo-standard
>>
>>54342978
Run more abrade, less lethal sting, I get that it synergises with Scorpion god, but it's just not good anywhere outside of limited. Abrade hits some of the best standard pre-HOU standard decks super hard and still hits creatures if you don't come across vehicles. Sting is sorcery speed requires you to have a creature on field and only destroys a creature. If you want "destroy target creature" why not run murder? It might be rotating out but it's a dead cheap uncommon. Or run fatal push which is nuts and a staple for both standard and modern.
Just don't run Lethal sting.
>>
>>54344317
Point taken. Mostly was just running it for some cute interactions with Scorpion God and it not being much of a downside using Ammit, but you're absolutely right.
Been testing in general and revised the list some more. added additional Glint-Sleeves, since that bit of extra card draw helped tremendously and getting extra energy when I need it also was nice. Was trying to find some decent 4 mana thing to add in place of Chandra, but the only thing I was mildly successful with was Heart-Piercer Manticore to throw Ammits into people's faces and creatures, though that usually also seemed like a straight worse option than any 4 mana kill spell.
Anywho, here's my revised list:
// 60 Maindeck
// 15
7 Mountain
8 Swamp

// 14 Creature
4 Soul-Scar Mage
4 Ammit Eternal
3 The Scorpion God
4 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner

// 12 Instant
3 Magma Spray
2 Hour of Glory
2 Harnessed Lightning
4 Abrade

// 9 Land
1 Concealed Courtyard
4 Aether Hub
4 Canyon Slough

// 2 Planeswalker
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

// 8 Sorcery
2 Grind // Dust
4 Cut // Ribbons
2 Sweltering Suns

// 14 Sideboard
// 2 Artifact
SB: 2 Key to the City

// 6 Creature
SB: 3 Merciless Javelineer
SB: 2 Combustible Gearhulk
SB: 1 Ammit Eternal

// 6 Sorcery
SB: 3 Lost Legacy
SB: 2 Hour of Devastation
SB: 1 Bontu's Last Reckoning
>>
>>54344016
>>54343878
Can confirm, Perspectives is fun.

Still trying to figure out a deck using it not as its centric combo piece but just as a game ender, possibly in combination with Locust God.
>>
Any thoughts on my rakdos aggro
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/haste-with-burn/
>>
>>54343487
?
>>
How do I make deserts work?

I want to throw pocket sand at people.
>>
>>54343666
I said nothing about it's use against U/R. Lost legacy is still horrible against mardu vehicles even if they don't have a heart of Kiran on the battlefield. 3 Mana do nothing sucks ass against aggro, just ask any competent player or look at any sideboard guide.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170716-141810.png (208KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170716-141810.png
208KB, 1080x1920px
What do you think of this? I would describe it as as WR grindy colossus, focusing on value instead of fling/atog. The numbers of things are probably weird. Main motivation was wanting to play red gearhulk and gift in a shit deck
https://deckstats.net/decks/44877/771168-hour-of-whiffing/en
>>
>>54343666
Sorry for samefagging, but when evaluating a card like dispossess against a deck like mardu vehicles, ask yourself: "Would I run 3 Mana memoricide against this deck?" The answer is obviously no. Memoricide is not a card you ever want to have against an aggro deck.
>>
>>54333206
Curse of Misfortunes into Overwhelming Splendor into Curse of Death's Hold, discuss
>>
>>54342992
you have a link to this "new fog deck"?

I keep hearing about it but I've not seen it yet
>>
>>54344939
>4 Sunscorched Desert
>4 Rumanap Ruins
>4 Hostile Desert
>some form of Eldrazi package
>>
>>54345024
Sounds pretty Modern to me, anon.
>>
>>54345040
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKenvaYffSM

It's pretty stupid.
>>
>>54344999
ok, then i ask, what card in amonkhet and hour in black/red is good against vehicles that isn't abrade?
>>
>>54345119
This deck actually looks pretty fun. Any Hour of devastation stuff change it / add to it / counter it? I'm looking for a deck to bring to game day at my LGS.
>>
>>54345572
Mardu vehicles is strong because of the diversity of its threats. There is no "card that is strong against vehicles", that's kinda the whole point of mardu vehicles and why it does so we'll against control.
>>
>>54345040
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/679723#paper

my only advice to you is hope you draw your lost legacy game 2/3 because you sure as shit aren't winning game 1 unless they brick.
>>
File: rg aggro.jpg (238KB, 1872x967px) Image search: [Google]
rg aggro.jpg
238KB, 1872x967px
>>54333206
>Standard thread for all you magic players I want to build a deck with this card but having trouble putting it in something
you put it in your d&t sideboard if you're expecting sneak & show.

the real question is why isn't this deck anywhere? big game and nobody's on it.
>t1 adept
>t2 brawler, discard hydra, swing 2
>t3 rhonas, swing 5
>t4 embalm hydra, swing 10
>>
>>54345660
What? Was the Lost Legacy thing to me or someone else?
>>
>>54341798
They're probably not spiking because 9/10 of the cards are from SOI block, and the ones that aren't won't see any play after it leaves, so not man people want to buy into a rotating deck. If it gets too expensive, then the cards won't sell and people will just say fuck it and build Energy.
>>
Has anyone ever bought one of the bundles from magic madhouse like https://www.magicmadhouse.co.uk/magic-the-gathering-hour-of-devastation-cards-100-common-20-uncommon-5-rare-p256386? I have no idea what I want to play so I'm considering just buying a lot of cards. Also, is there a better EU based store that has free shipping to all european countries (non eu-members)?
>>
4 Hollow One
4 Champion of Wits
3 Chaos Maw
4 Combat Celebrant
4 Curator of Mysteries
4 Glorybringer
4 Insolent Neonate

4 Gate to the Afterlife
1 God-Pharaoh's Gift
4 Cathartic Reunion
4 Strategic Planning

6 Island
6 Mountain
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole

Would anyone change anything about this list? I wish there was something better than Strategic Planning
>>
>>54346187
>grab bag
Do not ever do this. You will get awful bulk rares that the store can't sell otherwise.
Also, buying a lot of cards when you don't know what to build is a mistake. Build your deck first, then buy singles.
>>
So I'm thinking about going back to FNM at my local store, and I want to put together a janky deck that's silly but fun and could at least win me a game or two.

Would it be possible to make a deck around packing all of the Curse/Torment cards in standard and choking the shit out of my opponent? I pulled a few Torment of Venom and Torment of Scarabs at the prerelease and fell in love with them.
>>
Which deck is better suited for this meta, RG Pummeler or Jund Gods?
>>
Can draft decks/stories go in this thread
>>
>>54346452
do it
>>
>>54345119
>open video
>HE-
>close video
>>
File: 1392709907416.jpg (118KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1392709907416.jpg
118KB, 640x480px
How is Rakdos, or maybe Mardu, reanimator looking in the current standard? With all the one mana cyclers, Tormenting Voice and Cathartic Reunion, newish Lili, and a few 4-5 mana reanimation spells available, it seems like it could be playable at worst.
>>
>>54346842
I always think something like that will be viable and then it never is. Bringing back stuff like Chaos Maw sound more viable though honestly
>>
>>54346842
Probably not. There's just enough interaction to keep it out. Cast out, just enough counterspells to keep the deck style of dropping high CMC reanimate spells out, ect.
>>
>>54345763
>fatal push/harnessed lightning on the brawler
>now rhonas can't swing on turn 3 and you're doing a whole lot of nothing
>splurged your entire hand on the table for this
>>
File: Untitled.png (243KB, 1412x592px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
243KB, 1412x592px
>>54333206
Trying to make a cat tribal deck, sticking with stuff in blocks that aren't going out in standard after Ixalan release but I think it will be really weak with so little removal.

Not sure what to add so any recommendations would be awesome.
>>
File: activate-whenever.png (127KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
activate-whenever.png
127KB, 223x311px
>>54333253
>zero way to cheat out enchantments in standard
hi friend
>>
>>54348282
>costs fucking 6
>fucking another 8 to activate
>somehow cheating out anything
>>
>>54346147
this, I don't want to build anything right now because it's all on the clock, energy is fucking boring and amonkhet is so weak it's not even worth trying to brew a deck based around its block.
I would maybe build B/G -1/-1 but it just gets fucked by control so idk.
>>
>>54348131
For removal you mainly have Cast Out and Ambuscade at 4 and 3 mana. For less than that, you only really have shitty options like Impeccable Timing unless you go for stuff that rotates in a few months like Declaration in Stone, Immolating Glare, and Blessed Alliance.
>>
>>54348687
>but it just gets fucked by control
And control isn't losing anything important in the next rotation. Hope you like dealing with Torrential, because it's only going to be used more once everything rotates.
>>
Are Turbo Fog, New Perspectives and Fraying Mill the trinity of outsider decks that can ignore the meta for the most part? All of them really don't give much of a fuck about which deck they're playing against, win through non-interaction, non-combat and have a favorable match-up during game 1.

Even among themselves, they form a trinity of
Mill > Perspectives
Perspectives > Fog
Fog > Mill
>>
File: ebayscam.jpg (82KB, 702x440px) Image search: [Google]
ebayscam.jpg
82KB, 702x440px
Dude, standard is sooooo cheap right now!
>>
>>54341949
you sell them since they are only used in standard
>>
Aetherborn tribal is fun. Rotation proof. Maybe 3 cards from whole Ahmonket block.
>>
>>54348384
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-10-16-kaiju/
>>
>>54350405
You can't just say something about a non-existent deck without posting a decklist
>>
>>54348020
>rhonas can't swing on turn 3
he doesn't have haste. he swings on turn 4 because you reanimated a 6/6 hydra token for 4 mana. could've also been a hazoret.
>>
>>54351881
>>54345763

and if you REALLY want to try it... bloodlust inciter could be an aggro instigator, a 1/1 that makes every drop haste worthy. Just whether or not it is worth replacing the adept. As you have 8 discard avenues outside of cycle lands, and whether a 2/2 menace 20% of the time vs inciter that can turn on a bomb the turn it drops?
>>
>>54343134
Please respond
I realized I should probably replace the Appetite for the Unnaturals with Root Out until that rotates to get some more synergy with tracker.
>>
>>54349857
whats the scam?
is he just sending you the box resealed with no cards in it?
is he just not sending you anything?

normally with things like this you can petition paypal/ebay and get your money back
>>
>>54343134
you pretty much have the standard issue list anon. I'd just replace the random Gonti with a third Rishkar or maybe another Blossoming Defense if you're worried about removal. I'd find room for a one-of Rhonas in there somewhere too. He's a God
>>
SAND!

// 60 Maindeck
// 10
3 Plains
3 Mountain
4 Forest

// 23 Creature
2 Shefet Monitor
4 Ramunap Hydra
4 Sand Strangler
4 Sidewinder Naga
4 Ramunap Excavator
2 Angel of Sanctions
3 Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs

// 6 Enchantment
4 Desert's Hold
2 Cast Out

// 17 Land
4 Desert of the Fervent
4 Desert of the Indomitable
2 Ramunap Ruins
2 Hashep Oasis
3 Hostile Desert
2 Dunes of the Dead

// 4 Sorcery
4 Hour of Promise
>>
>>54353910
Gonti's my boy
Another Rishkar might be nice though. I haven't been drawing him as much as I wanted while I was playtesting. I just hate clogging my hand with legendaries so I went a little lighter on Rishkars than I probably should have.

Also do +1/+1 counters stay on lands like Hissing Quagmire after they stop being creatures?
>>
>>54354090
yes, correct

And Rishkar is a high priority target because you just sorta go nuts with him on board, so having more than 2 copies shouldn't be that much of an issue
>>
>>54354127
Alright. I'll probably grab another one then next time I'm at the cardshop. I figured snake would be more popular removal bait, but I guess cutting off a lot of mana generation would be important too.

Also
>tfw sold both my prerelease Rhonases
>>
>>54351881
>>54353601
Yeah to be honest I didn't read the sequence very well and assumed the 1-drop was bloodlust inciter because it seems so much stronger if you're relying on guys like brawler and rhonas. Of course that didn't make sense with the numbers of damage dealt each turn but I didn't pay attention.
>>
>>54353735
I obviously didn't purchase it but I mean come on, no one is going receive a sealed booster box with all the packs in it for 10 bucks.
>>
File: 1279176106618.png (31KB, 252x284px) Image search: [Google]
1279176106618.png
31KB, 252x284px
I've been mainly playing R/B Hazoret lately, but have been thinking of making a few changes. Bloodrage Brawler has been pretty underwhelming because of all the 3/x creatures being used like Rogue Refiner, so I was considering dropping a few for Heir of Falkenraths instead. Also not completely sure what to run in the sideboard, so opinions would be appreciated.

Creatures:
3x Flameblade Adept
3x Bomat Courier
4x Dread Wanderer
4x Scrapheap Scrounger
4x Bloodrage Brawler
4x Hazoret

Spells:
4x Alms of the Vein
4x Fiery Temper
4x Unlicensed Disintegration

Artifacts:
4x Key to the City

Lands:
4x Smoldering Marsh
4x Foreboding Ruins
7x Mountain
7x Swamp

Sideboard:
4x Collective Brutality
4x Magma Spray
2x Chandra Flamecaller
1x Kalitas
2x By Force
2x Cut//Ribbons
>>
>>54357216
I'd recommend keeping four bomats. Bloodrage Brawler is also a discard outlet - something the deck relies on. I'd recommend dropping two Unlicensed Disintegrations to stuff in another Bomat and Flameblade, then make a sideboard plan that converts into a more burn-oriented deck.
>>
>>54358904
The problem I've had with Bloodrage is that it trades pretty poorly in a lot of matchups, and typically wants to be played turn 3 to actually get value. Heir of Falkenwrath is 1 power weaker, but you can control when you discard and flying is really nice to have. The Flameblades are nice, but realistically don't do more than 2 damage unless I dump a lot of cards with Bomat.
>>
File: Champion.jpg (12KB, 190x265px) Image search: [Google]
Champion.jpg
12KB, 190x265px
LOOKS LIKE EMERGE IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Champion of Wits
4 Haunted Dead
4 Prized Amalgam
2 Ishkanah
1 Decimator of Provinces

4 Vessel of Nascency
4 Grapple with the Past
4 Kozilek's Return
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald
3 Strategic Planning

4 Forest
2 Island
1 Swamp
1 Mountain
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Botanical Sanctum
4 Evolving Wilds
1 Hissing Quagmire
1 Lumbering Falls
>>
>>54361342
Just beware that there actually is useable graveyard hate right now. Not great, but useable.
>>
>>54361541
Back when I played the original Sultai Emerge deck with Gather the Pack, I felt literally unbeatable. I didn't know why it didn't do better in bigger tournaments back then because wrathing boards and tapping down lands and having an army of creatures at the beginning of someone's turn felt like the most powerful thing I had ever done in a standard deck. I've missed that deck and I hope this comes close enough
>>
>>54361650

As I recall emerge decks actually were doing well in tournaments at that time

Elder Deep fiend is just a very strong card
>>
anyone have a good decklist for a white/green or white/blue? im trying to be a more control focused player.
>>
what's a good cheap deck for FNM?
I'm looking to play standard now because they're offering cool tokens instead of lame promos like fatal push
>>
File: still alive.png (107KB, 364x254px) Image search: [Google]
still alive.png
107KB, 364x254px
>>54363177
Please don't start, it hurts too much
>>
>>54348020
>DIES
>TO
>REMOVAL
fuck off douche
>>
>>54363476
Except he's right. Brawler that early is just asking for your opponent to two-for-one you, and if Rhonas is dead in the water, that's three.

It's too risky anon, and too easy to punish.
>>
Rate and hate my budget R/B deck

Lands
10 Swamp
10 Mountain

Creatures
2 Brazen Scourge
4 Tattered Mummy
4 Cursed Minotaur
3 Night Market Lookout
4 Ahn-Crop Crasher
1 Harsh Mentor
2 Bloodhunter Bat

Spells
4 Shock
2 Instult//Injury
2 Tormenting Voice
4 Renegade Tactics
1 Flame Lash
2 Claim//Fame
3 Hungry Flames

Artifacts
2 Throne of the God-Pharaoh

Sideboard
2 Violent Impact
2 By Force
>>
>>54364949
You realize that loss of life doesn't work with Insult right?
>>
>>54338869
Don't buy those, go to a local game store and play with the decks they have. If you want a starter deck make mono red.
>>
>>54364949
Thats a little rough even for a budget deck to be honest. If you're just playing with friends though its probably fine
>>
>>54364949
Pretty bad. If you're on a budget, you have much better options available. Harsh Mentor is only good as a sideboard option against decks that rely on evolving wilds and activated abilities. Get some Falkenwrath Gorgers, Soulscar Mages, and other aggressive creatures since they're dirt cheap right now.
>>
>>54353735
>is he just sending you the box resealed with no cards in it?

I remember doing this a couple times many, many years ago as I worked at a game store and they had a sealing machine in the back. I'd fill the box with random shit to give it weight. This around around Masque's block, I think?

Boy I sure was a little shitfucker back then.
>>
>>54358936
Understandable with Bloodrage. I'm also leery of Key because of all the Abrade flying around - people are going to pick up pretty quick what your deck is about and will nuke the Keys when they can. From my experience, the deck leans too heavily on it to perform.

I want to like RB Madness as I think it's pretty neat, but there just aren't enough quality payoff cards. Feels like the new monored decks do what RB Madness wants to do, only better.
>>
>>54353925

>Not naming it "Just Deserts"

COME ON MAN
>>
>>54348282
>let me pay 14 mana to cheat out an 8 mana permanent.

Why does Overwhelming Splendor not affect planeswalkers?
>>
I'm new to paper magic (been playing mtgo for a while tho) and the lgs I went to yesterday was giving 4 foil promo ramunap excavator and 1 foil promo wildfire eternal to each player attending the scelled event. Are promo card worth less than regular card because they're worth 16.5€ each so giving so many to everyone seems insane.
>>
If I was going to be making the rakdos -1-1 counter midrange meme deck, how would this list shape up as they go? What could it do better.

4x soul scar
4x cut to ribbons
2X sweltering suns

4X ammit eternal
3X baleful ammit
3X soulstinger

4X banewhip
3x nest of scarabs
3x abrade

3X archfiend of ifnir
3X scorpion god

4xcanyon slough
2xred cycle desert
2x black cycle desert
4x e wilds

Swap something for glorybringers? solid creature as is + exert tworks with soul-scar

Sideboard
1x abrade-if really need artifact killing
2x sweltering suns- if vs tokens / boardswarm
2x hour of glory- if god heavy or other indestructible
>>
>>54368563

Most if not all stores only give them to the top 8 finishers, not 4 to everyone who attends. It's more likely you're just lying for attention on the Internet.
>>
File: IMG_20170716_201322.jpg (3MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170716_201322.jpg
3MB, 4640x3480px
>>54368657
>>
>>54368636
remove archfiend for glorybringer.
Ifnir seems an instant include, but how many times are you going to cycle a land, which seems the ONLY discard trigger in the list. 5/4 flyer vs 4/4 flyer, haste and 4 damage exert boost beats ifnir imo
>>
File: IMG_20170716_202242.jpg (3MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170716_202242.jpg
3MB, 4640x3480px
>>54368657
They also gave me a free playmate. We were only 8 players so maybe they had too much promo card in stock.
>>
>>54368839
True, glory bringer is a better standalone card, and then looking at it in context of the deck - "exert, 4 damage to something, -> 4 -1 counters if soul scar is out, -> 4 scarabs if nest out, draw card if god out + lethal" is better than "requires one of the 8 cycling lands in hand, 2 mana to cycle fr 1 -1 on opponent creatures- effect depends on if nest / scorpion is out + on enemy board size."

Any other suggestions for sideboards?

Current win conditions are slow creautre grind down, lifeloss via ribbons, scarab swarm via nest + soul scar / ammits / stinger / god,

Have god and cycle lands for draw + ribbons give me leeway in casting from grave.

Have artifact kill via abrade, have decent creature removal, can remove indestructibles via -1s, no enchant removal sadly.

An more things to sideboard?
>>
So, I got Lord of Exctinction today.

How would you lot say it interacts with God-Pharaoh's Gift?
>>
>>54369265
It's specific over general as how these things usually go- the god pharoah gift / scrab god are both "but its a 4/4" so I would say that it would be a 4/4- the card text on lord would be more general than GPGs 'but its a 4/4"

"P/T are equal to cards in grave, but its a 4/4"
>>
>>54369421
The concept was whether or not the 4/4 ruling trumped the " P/T = total cards in graveyards"

Then that it also gave haste.

Further more, that it would be removed the second it touched the table( if it isn't immediately exiled...)
So you'd have a second run at getting it up, and then have it as a finisher with haste.
>>
File: 1492346919110.png (111KB, 311x304px) Image search: [Google]
1492346919110.png
111KB, 311x304px
>>54368784
>french
>got more than my sorry ass in sealed event
fuck
>>
Where can I find the top 64 for this weekend's open?
>>
>>54368784
>>54368855

I'm so upset right now

Why can't I ever live near the LGS that gives away prizes to everyone. Why do I have to live next to the LGS that's frequented by autismos who brag about dropping $2,000 on Magic: Online just so they can test their FNM deck in over 300 online matches a week

god dammit I hate everything
>>
>>54370724
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t%5BC1%5D=1&start_date=2017-07-15&end_date=2017-07-15&event_ID=19&city=Cincinnati&state=OH&t_num=1&limit=8&start_num=8&limit=8
>>
>buy Fat Pack for the box and tokens
>open 2 Fraying Sanity, 3 Earthshaker Khenra, Oketra's Last Mercy and trash rare sI don't even remember
>and a full playset of Sifter Wurm
Well this was easily my worst Fat Pack yet.
>>
>>54370917
There aren't any LGS within a reasonable distance you can go to?
If I want to play standard with more than a handful of other people, all of whom are turbocasual and get bitchy when I bring a deck that's somewhat competitive, I have to drive nearly an hour.
Shit sucks.
>>
Is mono-red finally viable in standard again?
>>
>>54371745
Truly viable? Probably not.
You can stomp the shit out of FNMs with "2 tix red" though
>>
>>54371745
Ive been toying with the idea of boros aggro since the meta seems slow.

>Turn 1 bloodlust inciter
>Turn 2 honored crop captain
->swing 3
>Turn 3 combat celebrant or hanweir garrison
-> swing 8-13 or 10 respectively

Seems like a blowout if youre on the play
Thoughts?
>>
>>54373516
I tried a boros aggro/exert deck early in Amonkhet with a similar setup, and it was just really underwhelming. Until the September rotation, I can't really see a lot changing. The established archetypes are just a lot stronger than most of the potential ones Amon/Hour added.
>>
>>54373551
Well you could go human tribal off that. Thalias lieutenant, thraben inspecter, etc. Seems like it can play against most matchups
>>
Get ready for Jund -1/-1 counters. Featuring Obelisk Spider, Scorpion God, and Glorybringer.
>>
File: Vizier.png (138KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Vizier.png
138KB, 223x311px
I know next to nothing about tcg and have four of these
Can I build a deck around them?
>>
>>54368244
because from a flavor perspective, you are cursing the player, not planeswalker who would help him.
>>
>>54368636
Midrange decks usually don't play bad cards
>>
>>54368244
WotC really doesn't want us to have real planeswalker hate nowadays. 1BB sorceries only.
>>
>>54372009
considering it just got 6th place and 16th place(granted the 16th place was mono red eldrazi) i feel like its got a foot in the viability range.
>>
>>54374354
BG Aristocrats, was a deck played at the previous pro tour, got fucked by marvel but thats deaderino now, just look up "BG Aristocrats Pro Tour Amonkhet" and work off that.
>>
>>54371217
Don't feel too bad. Fraying Sanity has been increasing in price. I bought a Aether Revolt fat pack since it was $25 and I didn't get anything of value, not even a hjank mythic.
>>
>>54374640
Fraying Sanity only increases in price in the US right now.

It's still at a solid 70 cents here in Germany with no signs of increasing any time soon.
>>
>>54371217
Lucky, I only got 2 Sifter Wurms. What a great card.
>>
>>54375139
The thing is that I opened 2 in my pre-release pack, pulled one in my pre-release prize booster, had 2 in my draft pool on that same evening and had another in my draft prize booster.

I have 7 of the fucking things after opening a mere 18 HOU packs.
>>
>>54375177
Nice. Any foil?
I have 32 sandblasts, 2 foil. That card won't leave me alone.
>>
>>54375207
Nope, no foil of it. Only HOU foil I pulled so far is a promo Razaketh.
That fucking fat pack just pissed me off with how much of the same damn cards were in there. Didn't need any of them while they were exactly the ones a friend of mine all wanted.
>>
>>54344622
well, you could just take out second sun for locust god, change the mana base and maybe include a some commit//memory to refill your deck if you need to. but if you resolve new perspectives and can draw through your deck and play a 7 mana spell twice, odds are you can cycle through your deck enough to resolve a 6 mana spell once and generate 20~ haste insects

even if you don't 1 hit kill them you still have a pretty commanding position I believe
>>
Fuck, they better give us great mana ramp and fixing in Ixalan.

No way in hell to play big, stompy Nayasaurs when the only "proper" ramp is on mediocre dorks, slow land fetch cards or Simic Nissa/Bounty of the Luxa.
>>
>>54375342
Yeah, I should probably pick one up as a side board option at least. Maybe drop a Drake Haven for it.
>>
How does U/W monument deal with control, generally? Dispel, maybe?
>>
What is the deck to beat after SCG Open Cincinnati?
The meta seems to be all over the place now.
It's good to know what to playtest against when brewing.
>>
>>54376897
Spoopy ghosts that counter spells and make 1/1 vigis
>>
>>54377122

Just build what you want, anon! We've removed the data so you don't have to worry about the meta, just worry about having fun! :^)
>>
>>54377122
Would you say the meta is all over the place because people have no idea what to invest in that's safe from banning?

I'm trying to figure out what the result of the constant banhammers is.
>>
Opinions on this Grixis Control Deck? it's basically just UR barely splashing black. Also the reason for so much anti control stuff is that my LGS has a lot of control, and I put the Disposses in SB because of that and there's a UW monument player as well.

Main
Lands: 26
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole
4 Aether Hub
2 Canyon Slough
2 Fetid Pools
6 Island
4 Mountain

Creatures: 4
4 Torrential Gearhulk

Spells: 29
3 Abrade
3 Harnessed Lightning
2 Magma Spray
2 Sweltering Suns
1 Hour of Devastation
3 Supreme Will
2 Hieroglyphic Illumination
2 Negate
4 Glimmer of Genius
3 Disallow
3 Censor
1 Pull From Tomorrow

Planeswalker: 1
1 Nicol Bolas, God Pharoah

Sideboard: 15
1 Magma Spray
1 Sweltering Suns
3 Dispel
2 Negate
2 Sphinx of the Final Word
3 Thing in the Ice
2 Doomfall
1 Disposses
>>
>>54375367
there will probably be a special land that only works with dinosaurs. something like
tap - colorless
tap - any color to cast a dino

>>54376897
queller their shit on the stack or kill them before they get enough mana to do anything
or metallic rebuke I guess
>>
>>54374514
>they just printed a full cycle of planeswalker hate cards
>all the relevant ones cost 1 mana
c'mon son
>>
>>54378681
I think if you're in black its a mistake no to have push at least in the side board in some capacity

also for some spice try cut//ribbons, its removal on the front and it gets those last few points of damage on the back end; if you get it from pull for tomorrow it may actually help you to just toss it in the graveyard

otherwise looks nice, i'm a big fan of cards like dispossess or even lost legacy that just let you hate a specific component of someone's deck.
>>
>>54346842
I've been playing jund reanimator for a while its fine, but your 5 mana walker is worse than giddion so its kind of rough if you expect to face alot of giddion decks.
>>
>>54381144
What does the green offer aside from ramp and I assume embalm Hydra? I was thinking mardu for Refurbish+Gearhulk shenanigans.
>>
>>54381178
Hissing Quagmire, Ishkanah and good artifact/enchantment removal. Now that Abrade has been printed I will likely switch to a different color combo
>>
Think Sumare/lifegain would be worth trying out? Seems like there's a pretty good amount of potential support for it with things like Trespassers Curse and Authority of the Consuls, and some solid creature enablers like that new soul sister, Lone Rider, Heron's Grace Champion, etc. Seems like a B/W setup could work decently well.
>>
File: scarab.jpg (32KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
scarab.jpg
32KB, 265x370px
Just to be sure, if I use the scarab god ability on a legendary creature (temmet), will the token still be a legendary creature named Temmet? and I won't be able to have 2 of them in my battlefield right?
>>
>>54383315
Correct.
>>
>Allied Checklands reprinted in Ixalan
So are they cheap because of overprinting or are they just kinda bad? Or both?
>>
>>54383865
Overprinting. They're pretty great lands in any format using basics and for casual play. Only reason they're bad in modern is because you can't fetch them and fetching is pretty much the single most important thing for any modern deck hoping to have more than a 30% win rate.
>>
>>54380856

Those are color hate, not PW hate.
>>
>>54368855
What card is that all ripped up in the background?
>>
>>54374514
Lmao just hit it with a creature
>>
File: Moaaah.png (643KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Moaaah.png
643KB, 1920x1080px
I make a cat tribal deck, I don't play to win tournament, but I don't want to loose every match, what do you think of this build ?
any recommendations would be welcome.

(I think to add cartouche of strength to make more control)
>>
>>54384072
Drop the Myriarchs completely, they're way to expensive and board-state reliant to really work for you, go up to 4 Mimics, mainboard the Serpopards, drop the Processions for removal like Ambuscade/Stasis Snare/Cast Out/Dec in Stone, Sideboard the Interventions for removal heavy matchups, maybe Oketra's Monument over the Rhonas since they work better with Westvale than trying to slowly pump out cat tokens, maybe even throw in Always Watching.
>>
I was challenged to try and make Imminent Doom even vaguely good, here is my attempt which I call "Doomharmonicon"

3 Inventor's Apprentice KLD
3 Scrapheap Scrounger KLD
3 Vengeful Rebel AER
2 Yahenni, Undying Partisan AER
1 Gonti, Lord of Luxury KLD
2 Midnight Entourage AER
2 Ironclad Revolutionary AER
3 Fatal Push AER
3 Unlicensed Disintegration KLD
3 Insult AKH
2 Renegade Map AER
4 Panharmonicon KLD
2 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship KLD
4 Imminent Doom HOU
3 Evolving Wilds CMA
10 Mountain HOU
10 Swamp HOU
>>
File: Image.png (112KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
112KB, 223x311px
What are your thoughts on oketras monument /tg/
>>
>>54371217
Wurm's an uncommon, bitch more.
>>
>>54384365
It's the namesake card of a T1 deck that reduces all your creatures, poops out tokens and taps for metallic rebuke.
>>
Thoughts?

Creatures
-------------
2x bloodwater entity
4x wildfire eternal
2x Neheb the eternal
2x Aethersquall Ancient

Instant//sorcery
--------------------
3x magma spray

3x censor
2x essence scatter
2x ice over
3x negate
2x pull from tomorrow

2x sweltering suns
2x open fire
3x glimmer of genius
2x refuse // cooperate

2x inferno jet

Lands
--------
1 x Highland Lake
1 x spirebluff canal
10x Island
10x mountain

Sideboard
-------------
2x thing in the ice
2x chaos maw
2x commit // memory
2x Swarm intelligence
2x lay claim
2x tragic lesson
2x hungry flames
1x hour of devastation
>>
File: 20170718_095427.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170718_095427.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Haven't played MTG in like three years, most of my cards are out of rotation but I was hoping to get back into the game with the new expansion.

Really wanted to try out some blue red control decks. Anyways, dropped by the LGS and bought a fat pack and drew these. The gods and Bolas seem to work with what I'm going for, I dunno how good they are though.

What kind of deck should I build with this? What sort of cards should I try to obtain? Bolas seems like it could be a strong finisher with the -4, or just really irritating with the +2. But I don't know if it's good enough to use as a 1-of.
>>
>>54385701
I posted a grixis control deck up there a little bit and I play a 1 of Bolas ^

Also my deck is more Blue Red very light splash of Black, so there's not much black.
>>
>>54386076
Well, I'd like to use the gods in some capacity, at least to experiment with. So for now I'm just looking for some deck staples. I'm guessing Gearhulk, Aether Hubs, Magma and Supreme Will?
>>
>>54386121
I'm sure you can fit the God's in there, I was just helping you out by showing you a general decklist. and Staples are the lands in general, T Gearhulk, Glimmer of Genius, Harnessed Lightning, Sweltering Suns and Hour of Devastation. those are all cards you are going to play in any URx control deck. in fact I'm only playing 1 HoD because I only have 1
>>
>>54386121
yeah, I think a UR control shell can probably fit at least a one of of the locust god in there. probably good against midrange or more control-y matchups

as to staples, Gearhulk for sure, Spirebluff canal, glimmer of genius, abrade, harnessed lightning, some combo of sweltering suns and hour of devastation, and wandering fumarole are probably the must includes. the counterspell package is variable (some like censor, some like harder counters, some prefer disallows, etc) and if you don't want to go entirely on the draw-go spells/removal control style, you might want to look at more card draw and cards like enigma drake and bloodwater entity.
>>
Can this thing sacrifice itself for it's own ability? If so it seems pretty good.
>>
>>54333235
a lot of beautiful cards are ) :
>>
>>54387802
yes
>>
>>54387802
yep, thats what makes it good imo
>>
>>54387808
Indeed, endless sands has such great art but its like a limited value machine, not really a constructed tier land. Same with sunset pyramid and too desu
>>
>tfw lost to cat tribal because I had no out to anointed procession and not enough removal for his metallic mimics
Feels bad.
>>
File: Scrounging Bandar.png (134KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Scrounging Bandar.png
134KB, 223x311px
Let's say I have Scrounging Bandars, A and B and X 1/1 creature out during my upkeep.
They both have two instances of +1/+1
Can I move +1/+1 from A to B and then instances of +1/+1 from B to X?
Or do both transfers resolve simultaneously and +1/+1 must be taken from both A and B in order to give X two instances of +1/+1
>>
>>54384072
I agree with the other guy, you have 1 card in your deck that lets you make tokens and it's a five drop, thats a 9 mana investment for anointed procession to even work.

myriarch is only good in "keyword.dek" which your only keyword is lifelink (one of the weakest)
toss in some cast outs, oketras monument over rhonas, you have way more white creatures than green.
>>
>>54391265
I think the way it works is that you can choose what order your ability triggers go on the stack. So theoretically, you can make one Bandar transfer its counters to another, then transfer those counters again.
>>
>>54388587
A giant yellow circle with a glow on it and some ground...great art.
>>
Anyone else think reflector mage should have been unbanned? Also based on wizards current ban-happy state, what cards from previous standards do think they would have banned now?
>pack rat/thought seize
>rabblemaster
>thragtusk
>sphinx Rev
>meme rhino
>>
>>54393602

uw is already really strong. spell queller + reflector mage seems a bit ridic
>>
>>54393602
CoCo.
Reflector mage leaves in a few months anyways,.
>>
>>54383315
Yes, it would work like all eternalized creatures. an "z color x y" would become an "black x y zombie"
>>
File: IBetYouDoTooBuddy.png (405KB, 648x1109px) Image search: [Google]
IBetYouDoTooBuddy.png
405KB, 648x1109px
>>54363213
>>
File: sandblast-61092-medium.jpg (26KB, 243x348px) Image search: [Google]
sandblast-61092-medium.jpg
26KB, 243x348px
Is this the best artwork in HOU?
>>
>>54395605
>it depends entirely on which way the wind blows
I'm pretty sure that no matter what way the wind blows, it'll still eat through shit. Sand carried by wind hitting your back will do just as much pain as hitting your side or front.
>>
>>54396242
the boon is getting sand blown into your opponents face
>>
>>54395605
it looks really sick, brb ordering some foil copies now.
>>
>>54362920
UW is just lots of counters, gearhulks, draws, removal and second sun as wincon
>>
>>54395605
>seb
surprise surprise
>>
File: ASCENDED.gif (111KB, 355x370px) Image search: [Google]
ASCENDED.gif
111KB, 355x370px
>Draft night
>pack 1 pick 1 Scarab God
>Went 2-1 with a mill machine

Got jack shit in the prize packs (A third fucking Chaos Maw though, you think it's worth building a deck around?)
>>
File: Comfy Smug.jpg (13KB, 216x380px) Image search: [Google]
Comfy Smug.jpg
13KB, 216x380px
>>54399216
chaos maw WON me my draft (3 hou packs instead of 2 and 1 ahk...

Had a blue red deck, my field was 2 thorned moloch, 2 khenra scrappers and a spellweaver eternal
VS
2 moaning walls, an aven of hope and a dauntless aven...
had maw since turn one and coudn't find a way to weaken the walls... used 3 gift of rhonas's to save his walls and kill my attackers...
attacked in with everyone, knowing he would take the 2 damage on each wall either way. And then phase 2 maw for BOARD WIPE.
next turn win WOOOOO
>>
File: rateme.png (11KB, 598x169px) Image search: [Google]
rateme.png
11KB, 598x169px
wh-what do you guys think of my deck?

i'm still kind of new
>>
So I'm pretty new to magic. Should I get the Planeswalker decks or should I wait for the next block to come out with theirs?
>>
>>54400598
Didn't the new set just come out? You may as well get a planeswalker deck.
>>
>>54400598
It's worth getting the planeswalker decks, at least one, to get a good start. I don't know about the previous blocks, but all of the Amonkhet/Hour of Devastation ones are good except for Nissa.
>>
File: sligh.jpg (460KB, 1852x613px) Image search: [Google]
sligh.jpg
460KB, 1852x613px
>>54353601
the incidental damage from one or two unchecked flameblade adepts is actually retarded because nobody respects it.
sometimes you even get to go full-retard instagib: i sequenced a kill with two adepts and a bomat courier g1 vs ur fevered visions playing new sligh.

'attack with these goons. trigger courier. thing can't block the adepts because they have menace, see? block courier? ok. activate courier, discard six cards, six triggers on each adept, two madness triggers from two fiery temper. you take 6. i have you at 14? ok. six triggers on each adept for +1/+0 resolve and i'll resolve bomat's ability and put this card into my hand. take 14 from two unblocked 7/2 adepts.'
>>
Paradoxical outcome is fun. But it crumbles to control midrange decks. Need ideas from the new sets to fight the control.
>>
>>54400598
if you know how to deck build you can make a stronger deck yourself for the same amount of money, if you don't know shit about card games yeah you need a planeswalker deck.

I think nicol bolas would be the best because 5 years from now people might want him out of your trade binder.
>>
Whats the best format of this game to get into as a poorfag? Also any general tips for someone wanting to start?
>>
drafts
>>
>>54402428
Seconding drafts.
>>
>>54333279
>Greenbelt Rampager with only 2 other cards in the entire deck that make energy
>"""ramp""" deck that tops out at 6
>weird desert subtheme

It's bad, man. You really half assed the pay off to avoid the obvious targets to ramp into like ulamog because rotation. Here's my advice, if rotation is close enough for you to avoid spending money on cards because of it, then just wait for rotation to buy in.
>>
>>54402540
>>54402509
Thats just like a night where everyone pays a fee and gets to sift through a bunch of packs right?
>>
File: 1497900402759.png (17KB, 247x239px) Image search: [Google]
1497900402759.png
17KB, 247x239px
I haven't played standard since right before Aether Revolt came out. I'm seeing how cheap cards like Avacyn and Gideon are now and I want to build some sort of aggro deck. Either Weenie White or U/W aggro with Oketra's monument. Has anyone seen these decks in the meta at all? If so, are they any good? I'm wondering if I should even bother with either of these decks or if instead I should just be a total faggot and net deck golgari or mardu aggro.
>>
>>54342978
Here's the thing mate. Try as you might to build and tune a """"scorpion god control deck"""" if the premise is bad the deck is always going to be bad. Don't they teach GIGO in schools anymore?
>>
>>54402587
Usually you pay $15 and you sit down at a table with 7 other people (8 players total) and you each get 3 packs. you open up one pack, pick a card from it, and pass the rest of the cards to the guy on your right, then the guy on your left will pass you the rest of the cards from his pack. You do this until there's no cards left and then do it 2 more times and build a deck out of the cards in the packs. 40 cards usually 23 spells and 17 lands.

it's technically "cheap" compared to spending +$200 on a standard deck or even an upwards of +$800 on a modern deck but this game really is a money pit. I've played the game off and on for a few years taking breaks as long as a year just because of how fucking expensive it can get.
>>
>>54402587
http://lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=mtg+drafts
>>
>>54402665
Huh, is there a strategy to just building with whatever you pull? Or do you just kinda get stuck with whatever?
>>
>>54402707
The strategy that is usually recommended to new drafters is to try and draft cards that are only 2 colors and to draft a lot of creatures on a solid mana-curve. If you can play a creature every turn then you can usually do pretty okay.

So it would be something like 19 creatures, 4 removal spells, and 8 lands in one color and 9 lands in your second color.
>>
>>54402604
>UW Monument
>Golgari Aggro
>Mardu Aggro

Look, if you've no fucking clue what you're talking about you can just say so.
>>
>>54402707
You build your deck one card at a time
You need to be able to choose the best card between the cards of the packs (best can be the most powerful or the most helpful)
You need to get informations about whatever your opponents are building through what they pass or don't pass
Half of the battle is decided during the draft phase instead of the actual matches, if not more than that
>>
>>54402735
>>54402744
Appreciate it. Might try out draft night at the LGS and see if its any fun for $15.
>>
File: StandardAggroMetaDecks.png (39KB, 540x200px) Image search: [Google]
StandardAggroMetaDecks.png
39KB, 540x200px
>>54402742
That's what mtgtop8.com calls them buddy. Like I said I haven't played standard in awhile so they might be called something different at locals but I'm just going off net decks.
>>
File: W:UMonument.png (60KB, 1334x140px) Image search: [Google]
W:UMonument.png
60KB, 1334x140px
>>54402742
>>54402777
And yes it's also called W/U monument.
>>
>>54402777
So you DON'T have any idea what you're talking about, you've literally just looked at mtgtop8 and regurgitated their shitty naming conventions.

Pro-tip, use mtggoldfish, they'll give you the name players call their decks instead of the completely nondescript "color archetype" names.
>>
>>54402830
Why are you getting so upset about the nomenclature of standard decks? Obviously I know a bit of what I'm talking about but not 100% since I came here asking for opinions.

Anyways, monument seems fun and kinda cheeky but I know from meta lists that Mardu and golgari are the decks that are winning tournaments.
>>
File: Monument.png (207KB, 432x678px) Image search: [Google]
Monument.png
207KB, 432x678px
>>54402830
And wow check it out here's the exact same deck I'm talking about on MTG Goldfish being called the exact same fucking name I called it. Thanks for the """"""pro-tip"""""" anon.
>>
>>54402878
Because you sound like a fucking tool when you call a deck that had existed since before you quit playing "mardu aggro". Using the correct names for a deck is how you get people to listen, that's also why I pointed you to mtggoldfish, so you know the names people actually call their decks.

>>54402918
Oh look, it's the one deck name you didn't actually use in your post and I gave you because I was feeling too lazy to type out "WU aggro deck that runs monument" at the time
>>
>>54402772
The reason why i say draft is because it's the least commitment you can make to mtg while still enjoying the full fun of what the game can offer you. You crack packs (everyone loves gambling), you draft the cards, you make your deck, and you play the game. If you got big money cards, sweet, sell them and recoup some of the money back. If you don't, it's just $15. You will accumulate trash rares fast. After a while you can start holding cards and speculating on card prices if it's your cup of tea. I usually just sell the expensive / high demand ones and never look back.
After you already know the basics of how to play mtg, there's a shitload of information on how to draft for beginners online or just watch how the good players draft on youtube. My personal favorite is Numot and LSV.

As always, before you try to draft at any LGS make sure you ask about the prize structure and make sure it's not a rare redraft game.
>>
>>54403032
Okay sure sorry I'll call them whatever you want daddy.

Now which of these decks should I build.
>>
>>54403045
I'm generally against draft as a first format personally because of all of the misconceptions it can breed in new players about card evaluation, but this is all solid advice for someone looking to start drafting.
>>
>he doesn't homebrew
>>
>>54403048
Mardu has the best removal but blue white monument just got dusk//dawn which is pretty format warping. Mardu is less rotation but it loses to its own mana base, a lot. The decks are all similar beat face type decks so just pick the colors you like the most.

Recently I have been playing a lot of standard combo and I'm loving its match up vs aggro.
>>
>ITT: people going full autism because others use different words for the same thing
Do you also get upset when people use garbage instead of trash?
>>
/tg/, is the blue splash for the scarab god worthy in the black-zombie deck?
>>
>>54402646
Saying a janky homebrew deck is not fit for competitive tournament play is like saying the sky is blue.
Any deck with a direction and game plan can at least be tuned to the point of being alright and having a chance of winning, even if it's a slim one. Pointing out that it's not going to be great is completely obsolete, since nobody would expect a Rakdos deck in general to be meta relevant right now.
>>
>>54403545
In the aggro deck, no, but it fits right into the older U/B zombie decks that were semi-popular up to Kaladesh. You don't bother with all the lords/anthems, you rely on Haunted Deads, Prized Amalgams, and top out with Voldaren Pariah's for discard value and a pretty reliable board wipe.
>>
>>54403545
I think you should kill yourself and stop contributing to the problem
>>
>>54403644
the U/B zombie is pretty meh, I was wondering if scarab god is useful in the black zombie deck as a back-up plan when you have a stalemate board situation...
>>
>>54388945
I wouldn't feel too bad about it, i've been catching everybody by suprise with it. There's just too many cards in it that must be hit by removal and people are used to saving their removal for specific cards. Need board wipes.
>>
>>54342978
Yahenni's expertise into sweltering suns, 6 damage that with soul scar mage with kill juat about everything including indestructible cards
>>
>Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, and Rampant Growth have proven too powerful for the modern design of Magic
I sure am glad WotC is taking such significant and well-meaning strides to make this game just me turning creatures sideways. Counterspells? Ramp? Control? The fuck are any of those? Those aren't creatures. JUST TURN CARDS SIDEWAYS.
>>
>>54399139
>second sun as wincon
>in an actual control deck
White has much better win conditions if you're already running gearhulks
>>
>>54402742
Let's be honest Mardu Vehicles is a fucking stupid name for a deck that runs 4x of one vehicle that's just a beater with evasion
>>
File: hey buddy.jpg (16KB, 295x281px) Image search: [Google]
hey buddy.jpg
16KB, 295x281px
Hey buddy I think you got the wrong thread, the SJW-hate thread is two threads down
>>
>>54349495

I don't think mill is as good as the other two and also I don't understand how turbo fog is favored against mill
>>
>>54405758
They run harvester too, and people still call it that because they used to run more. It's just like affinity.
>>
>>54401379

Isn't dispel standard legal?
>>
>>54403032

>being a fucking insufferable sperg about deck names
>but it's the other guy that sounds like a tool

Ok kid
>>
Is a GW cat token deck viable?
Sacred Cat
Pride Sovereign
Anointer Priest
Adorned Pouncer
Anointed Procession
Regal Caracal

Some Removal

Maybe
Cryptolith Rite
Second Harvest
Sandwurm Convergence
Steward of Solidarity
Sram's Expertise

Need some sort of card advantage...
>>
>>54406393
>unironically using names from mtgtop8

I hear modern is dominated by grixis aggro and colorless midrange right now, with colorless aggro maintaining strong numbers like always and abzan combo making a strong showing lately.
>>
>>54407565
Tireless Tracker my man, card advantage on a stick. Anointed Procession will double the clues he generates as well.
>>
>>54407565
I think anointed procession is bait actually, so far in my testing anyway. i've actually just taken it out of my brew.

I'm running cats with cast outs, thraben inspector, and lifecrafter's bestiary
>>
>>54404955
Where is this?
>>
>>54405989
usually fog decks have a way to refresh the deck from the graveyard. I run commit//memory in mine anyway, so as long as the game goes to turn 7 the first time I should be unkillable by a mill based strategy
>>
>>54403032
>hey ive been out of the game for awhile and don't know what's going on can someone help me?
>HAH, look at this IDIOT who doesn't even know what's going on!

what a piece of shit for asking for help right my dude?
>>
>>54408571
also try aethersphere harvester
>>
How do you guys feel about Locust (R/U Control) or Scarab (B/U Control)?
>>
>>54411244
Locust God sounds really good, but any deck that would want to run him would rather just run Torrential. As long as Torrential is in standard, I really don't see Locust God fitting in anywhere.
>>
My friend built a really cool mardu gearhulk reanimator deck. It honestly looks really fun and now I have a hope for when rotation hits.
>>
Been looking into Duels, the online one that they have on Steam. How the fuck are you supposed to actually win games without dropping mad cash on boosters in order to get actually playable decks?
>>
>>54409146
If he'd said "Hey I am looking to get back into standard should I build WU Monument, Mardu Vehicles, or GB Snek/Energy?" 'tismo up there would have just left him alone. He might have even got actual replies. We're all a little bit spergy here, if we weren't we wouldn't be talking about a childrens' card game on a Chinese Finger Trap board. If you actually gave a shit you would have replied to the mtgtop8 guy giving advice. But neither of us did, we're no better.
>>
>>54413517
How do you win Hearthstone without spending cash?

you don't
>>
>>54408881
ulamog says
>ur wrong
>>
>>54413546
making sure everyone in the room remembers we're (almost always) full grown men playing a children's card game is the most important rule of constructed events irl
>>
>>54413517
welcome to ccgs friend, today you have learned card games are not "Free" but instead let you pay what you want.
>>
>>54411244
Grixis control? Nicky is too good not to use in standard.
>>
Does B/G and/or U/G have any good decks in the Amonkhet and Kaladesh blocks? I'm just back from about a 10 year break and am hesitant on picking up anything that's about to rotate out.
>>
>>54417752
There were UG ones before Marvel got the banhammer.
>>
File: CHIna.png (205KB, 414x521px) Image search: [Google]
CHIna.png
205KB, 414x521px
>>54417752
depends on your definition of "Good"
B/G has Kaladesh B/G counters which is very strong but expensive, Amonkhet has B/G -1 counters which is much weaker and about 90% cheaper.

U/G you have simic nissa.dek I guess but I'm not sure how good it is, nissa, steward of the elements from Amonkhet and weaver of currents to just make her huge.

Ixalan got leaked on here a month ago and it's going to have piratves, merfolk, vamps, and dinos. Seems to be heavy focused on tribal and weird color combinations (G merfolk, W vamps)

Personally I'm going to wait until ixalan to build anything cause Amonkhets power level is just shit.
>>
>>54417941
>Personally I'm going to wait until ixalan to build anything cause Amonkhets power level is just shit.
Same. It might as well just be Kaladesh block constructed with a few splashes for things like Glorybringer.
>>
>>54413517
Fortunately for you they discontinued adding more shit to it so you don't continually have to play catch up. Just work at doing the quests and you'll eventually get a decent enough pool.
>>
>>54417941
>B/G counters which is very strong but expensive
Should also mention that it can now be completely gutted by any deck running white thanks to Solemnity.
>>
File: Ch81awHUUAALdJ1.jpg (38KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Ch81awHUUAALdJ1.jpg
38KB, 512x384px
>>54338869

I love that set and you could do worse. The blue deck is practically undefeated when me and my friends though.

I agree with other anons the planeswalker decks are a little better balanced and they do a nicer job of showcasing the new sets.

All intro decks are super casual and not competitive, but you'll like thumbing through them and I think they're great for kitchen table magic.
>>
>>54403032
Wow you're a douche... get a life bro.
>>
Is monoblack aggro even viable in current standard? It seems that if you are black and not zombies you're just gimping yourself, but I dont want to waste a bunch of money on cards that cycle out in two months. I was thinking something like this

4x Dread Prowler
4x Night Market Lookout
4x Gifted Aetherborn
4x Glint-sleeve Siphoner
4x Scrapheap Scrounger
4x Ammit Eternal
3x Yahenni

4x Fatal Push
4x Grasp of Darkness
4x Supernatural Stamina

21x swamp
>>
>>54418842
>get a life
None of us have a life, we're talking about a children's card game. At least the sperg gave the guy advice when he wasn't howling at him.
>>
>>54419072
If you don't want to spend money on cards that will rotate don't spend money on cards at all. Spending money on a shit deck does not save you money, you're going to buy something else when rotation happens.

And if someone isn't playing it then it isn't good, that's a pretty solid rule to keep in mind for standard.
>>
I'm an almost complete newbie and wanted to get into MTG. Why is standard so hated?
Any tips? Currently, I live in a small town with like one LGS.
>>
>>54407565
This is what i've been running and so far it's been making people mad.

Land
4x plains
5x forest
3x tranquil expanse (tapped g/w)
2x Scattered Groves (tapped cycle g/w)
2x Hashep Oasis (g, +3/+3 sack)
2x Fortified Village (lost 2 of them)
4x Aether Hub
2x Westvale Abby (cat tokens fire this off easy)

Creatures
4x Sacred Cat
4x Adorned Pouncer
2x Metallic Mimic

4x Prowling Serpopard (lots of blues at locals, 3 drop 4/3)

4x Pride Sovereign
4x Regal Caracal
1x Majestic Myriarch (almost always comes out as some 10/10 - 20/20 with lifelink)

Sorc/Instant
2x Oath of Nissan (not sure what to swap yet)
3x Blossoming Defense
3x Declaration in Stone (probably skywhaler's shot)
2x Angelic Purge (throw away OathNissa/token, swap for cast out)
2x Mouth // Feed (token&draws)

Gideon, Martial Paragon (untaps exert +1/+1, card also gideons)

Mirage Mirror (steals other peoples creatures, exerts every turn as pride sovereign, can Caracal for more buffs, or clone the chimera)

Honestly it's an easy deck to counter, i find if people can't consecutively respond then all the life link itself is what usually makes people surrender.
>>
>>54420965
Standard is, long term, a larger money sink than most alternative formats, and frankly, recent standard sets have been pretty crap, leading to an underwhelming power level.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.