[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I give up. It seems every fucking game I try to run devolves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1591.jpg (116KB, 620x470px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1591.jpg
116KB, 620x470px
I give up. It seems every fucking game I try to run devolves into the players acting like "murderhobo" stereotypes. And this isn't just one group of people either, but it spans across three different groups I've run games for. I'm having rotten luck finding a group of players who can't go for one real life hour without killing something in the game.

I recently bought the Friday the 13th game, played it for over 20 hours so far, and enjoyed it. It's inspired me to watch some of the old movies and other "slasher" films.

And now I'm inspired to run a short game of about 4 or 5 sessions where the players are supernatural movie "slashers" killing for whatever fucked up reason motivates them. I'll probably run it with Mutants & Masterminds but with a more horror themed bent to it.

I fully expect this to be a fucking train wreck right from the get go, but I want to do this out of morbid curiousity more than anything else. I want to invite the worst of the murderhobo offenders from my other games and say right to their faces "I think this is right up your alley." At the very least I want to have stories I can tell other people.

But of course I realize this is probably more driven by a desire to still run games but utter disgust in the players I've been getting. So I come here to ask you all to talk some sense back into me, how much of a bad fucking idea this is, general ridicule, and stop me from actually following through with this.
>>
>>54317823
Nah, fucking do it. If your game is suited for the players then fantastic. Just make sure it is still a game and not just a snuff film. Make the game world a hellscape, monsters everywhere, and the players are the more humanoid monsters, really just stronfer than the average poor helpless human. Let them prey on the humans if they want, throw bigger terrible fucking monsters at them. Instead of questing for gold or doing kind deads make them hunt for weapons or souls in bottles or other assorted spooky knick knacks to trade or use for more power. A real slaughter and loot kind of game. If you do it right everyone may have a fantastic time. You get them invested in the story, they get to be blood soaked terrors.
>>
>>54317914
This sounds like a better spin on things. I like it.
>>
>>54317823
>every fucking game I try to run devolves into the players acting like "murderhobo

>Three different groups

There's a common denominator here and there thats you. What are you doing wrong that encourages a style of hack and slash play you don enjoy running?
>>
>>54318705
Yup. If players are only really caring about the combat part of the game it seems like OP isn't making the other parts interesting enough to hold their attention.
>>
Take stock of what incentives there are in your games.

Like the usual failure mode of 3.pf:
>running a dungeon crawl where every valuable item or story node is guarded by "balanced encounters"
>in a system where you only get new toys (levels) by slaughtering dozens and dozens of creatures.

Think about making challenges that can't be solved (well) with violence.

And consider embracing a bit of murderhoboism, because you're running an imaginary adventure game, and NPCs do not matter morally the way real people do.
>>
>>54317823
Your players play along your shit, stop beeing a murder hobo anon.
>>
>>54317823
It's on you to make the players care.
>>
Op is a bad GM
>>
>>54318864

Yup. I've met a lot of GMs who make entering combat the only way to advance but then bemoan when their players do so. Oftentimes by having the social order in the campaign world be organized against the PCs in a way that strains believability.
>>
>>54318864
>every single rule, every ability and every class is all about combat
>hurr durr just dont do combat
>>
File: 12674-3134-21519.jpg (22KB, 640x394px) Image search: [Google]
12674-3134-21519.jpg
22KB, 640x394px
>>54317823
>I fully expect this to be a fucking train wreck right from the get go, but I want to do this out of morbid curiousity more than anything else. I want to invite the worst of the murderhobo offenders from my other games and say right to their faces "I think this is right up your alley." At the very least I want to have stories I can tell other people.
>>
>>54318705
This.
>>
>>54323419
That was my point.

Though I'd go farther and say it has more to do with incentives than mechanics.

Old school D&D had very few mechanics. No skill system. Pretty much everything was geared towards combat or looting dungeons. And yet the game incentivized skilled play, because charging into combat was an inferior way of getting cool treasure and advancing your character.
>>
>>54318705
This. You're boring your players to death OP.
>>
>>54317823
>I'll probably run it with Mutants & Masterminds
OSR is pretty solid for murder-hoboing.
>>
>>54317914
Sounds like Dark Souls
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.