[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General - Old Guys Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 397
Thread images: 42

File: 1467315497747.jpg (281KB, 987x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1467315497747.jpg
281KB, 987x1500px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54300985

How high or low fantasy is too high or low fantasy for you?
>>
>>54306352
>How high or low fantasy is too high or low fantasy for you?
Medieval society better be built on the ruins of ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL CIVILIZATION or feature a crashed spaceship somewhere or I walk.
>>
>>54306352
Banning Lore Wizard is too low fantasy
>>
>>54306425
Aka the Ancient Aliens effect
>>
'Bout time.

>last session
>our Paladin has a Blink Dagger
>effect banishes target to Aetherial Plane on a 20 or him on a 1
>run into homebrew beast DM wanted to test
>he attacks
>20
>thing disappears
>fight another custom blood beast DM wanted to test later
>he attacks
>20
>thing disappears
>defeat quest arc's boss
>go into his tower's basement
>some monsters left down there
>Polymorph one of them into a worm to take care off once the room is cleared
>Paladin and Barbarian prepare a simultaneous strike on the worm
>Paladin rolls a 20
>worm disappears

The number of times this fucking thing has just blinked shit out of existence over the 10 or so sessions he's started actually using it is fucking hilarious and we were laughing our asses off so fucking much that session because of it. Saved ourselves so much time due to that dagger that we finished 1.5 sessions worth of content in a single one and finished what was supposed to be a 4 sessions arc in about 2 and a half sessions.
That thing really should just cast Plane Shift to the Aetherial Plane on a 20 instead of just deleting shit without even allowing a save.
>>
Fuck the haters, mystic is a great class because it lets me grapple someone with advantage, bring them to the top of a staircase and power bomb them back into the floor while taking no fall damage myself, then cut a promo about how lame they are and make them receive penalties
>>
>>54306570
It's gonna be funny when the DM drops them all back on you at the same time.
>>
>>54306570
5% chance of being effectively an insta-kill definitely is OP
>>
>>54306617
>powerbombing them when you could toss them off, Nomad teleport underneath them, set up a psychic spear, and walk away as they land on it
>>
>>54306570
>>54306628

I was just about to say, trying to solve problems by throwing them into alternate dimensions rarely works out in the long-term.
>>
>>54306652
Powerbomb lets me jump off the staircase using psi points to make the fall do even more damage, although your idea is great too.
>>
>>54306570
I hope your DM makes you fight nothing but phase spiders
>>
>>54306352
Holy shit OP you had one fucking job. Were you too busy choking on cock to post the new, non-404'd mega?
https://mega.nz/#F!8lhwhRhY!QtPgmG-SJLu8CSBEjRutqA
>>
>>54306628
>>54306654
Yeah, we ourselves even said that he should make it all spew out if the dagger ever gets destroyed and that he should generally nerf it in some way.
As hilarious as it seems, it's a bit of a buzzkill when the big, single-enemy encounters end in a single attack. He almost also blinked away the actual boss of the arc if our Barbarian hadn't killed him before our Paladin got a chance to attack, as he rolled one for shits and giggles and actually would've landed another 20.

The self-banish isn't even a huge downside as he's the personal champion and former fuck-buddy of a newly-ascended goddess usually residing in the Aetherial Plane that doesn't have the poison immunities and shit Pala usually has but instead is unaffected by magical/artificial aging, including due to the Plane. So he'd just have to sit it out until she finds his location there.
>>
>>54306352
>>54304285
Still looking for advice
>>
>>54306737
"I need to look after this, until it can be destroyed, please let me do so."

Then pretend to destroy it
>>
File: screenshot-rpg-maker-vx-ace-03.jpg (110KB, 800x438px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot-rpg-maker-vx-ace-03.jpg
110KB, 800x438px
>going crazy trying to find a decent program to make battlemaps with
>everything's got shit documentation, a terrible UI, lacking useful features for map-building, has fuck-all for resources, and the resources that are there don't have matching graphical styles
>about to give up and make blue line battlemaps like it's fucking first edition
>remember RPG Maker
>it actually fucking works
How did the Japs figure this shit out before we did
>>
Got my hands on a magical item the other day after killing an artifact hoarding boss.

Monkey Paw
requires attunement
+1 AC; advantage on acrobatics checks; disadvantage against spell saving throws; you become deafened if the paw is more than 10ft away from you; allows use of 1 7th level spell: plane shift 1/day; cannot be un-attuned unless the paw is returned to its owner.

Now, knowing my japanese fairy tails and shit, attuning to this will obviously trigger a quest to get that thing back to its original owner (most likely a demon I'd assume).

My char is a level 11 Wizard currently sitting at 52 HP, 9 AC (+1 in sunlight) and is a Rock Gnome.
He's also an undead and is prone to attaching new limbs when he finds an interesting or better one to what he currently uses, so he'd sure as fuck sew that thing onto his arm trying to use it as his new hand.

I am REALLY fucking tempted to just use it, since those spell saves are honestly relatively rare, I'd still not have disadvantage against most of them due to Gnomish Cunning and Plane Shift is sweet as fuck (as is +1 AC).

Should I do it?
>>
>>54306828
Can you save your map as an image and then print it?
>>
What is the Trove being taken down for?
>>
>>54306874
Not from the program. If I were printing, I'd just take screencaps and stitch it together in Paint, then print.

I'm using it for Roll20 though so I just screencap, resize it so each tile is 70x70 to match the Roll20 spacing, and throw it up there.
>>
File: F.jpg (88KB, 700x891px) Image search: [Google]
F.jpg
88KB, 700x891px
>>54306836
Use it as soon as you can, nothing bad could possibly happen anon.
>>
>>54306828
RPG maker truly is the ultimate redpill. I've been using it for the past year and it's pretty good desu.
>>
>>54306828

Yeah, people have been getting some pretty good mileage out of that program series for battlemaps.
>>
>>54306836
While you're at it, you should replace your other hand with the hand from >>54304285
>>
>>54306908
Take a fucking guess.
>>
>>54306836
>monkey paw
>makes you more acrobatic
>but not if you want to dodge a fireball
makes sense

>>54306908
Gee, I dunno. Maybe because it has loads of copyrighted stuff and it's only a matter of time until a faggot reports it.
>>
>>54307014
>>54306997
It's pretty great for online games because I can scale the map to be grid-accurate, but make separate images of all the little doodads and shit like barrels, trees, outhouses that can be uploaded as their own thing and dropped on the map to be moved around or added as necessary.
>>
>player laughs after everything he says
>none of his jokes are funny

Oh God, help me /tg/. I can't take the cringe. How do I make him stop?
>>
Anons? Hopefully simple question: way back in the late 80s/early 90s, we had two lizardfolk offshoot races called the Gurrash and the Cayma.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Gurrash
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Cayma

Long story short, you think a 5e conversion of either would be viable? Caymas are kind of like a cross between a Small Lizardfolk and a Kobold, whilst Gurrash seem to mesh up so well with the standard Lizardfolk stats I can't really see 'em as anything other than a reskin.
>>
>>54307106
ask him to explain the joke, every time
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 379x364px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 379x364px
>Using Race based tension in your setting
>Not using Class based tension
>>
>>54307055
>maybe it has loads of copyrighted stuff

Yeah, but what specifically? This wasn't happening before.
>>
>>54307144
Right, because there's a ton of conflict based on your job IRL
>>
File: 1404257375272.jpg (29KB, 356x355px) Image search: [Google]
1404257375272.jpg
29KB, 356x355px
>>54307144
>not using both
>>
>>54307166
We totally have sterotypes based on jobs, people don't people who work in food service etc
>>
>>54307166
He meant class as in commieshit, not class as in Fighter vs. Ranger.
>>
File: laughing ripoffs.png (215KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
laughing ripoffs.png
215KB, 500x500px
>>54307144
>proletariat can overthrow the bourgeois
>>
File: akagikiss.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
akagikiss.gif
2MB, 350x197px
>>54307110
>Mystara lore
Always great.
>>
>>54307060

Plus, it's pretty easy to add custom stuff if you're handy with spritework.
>>
>>54307166
>he doesn't know that race warfare was invented by the rich to distract the proles from rising up in class warfare
Good goy.
>>
Are the Barbarian UA's any good? I like the idea of the spirit tanky one.
>>
>>54307192
No i mostly talking about the castyfolk
>>
>>54307144
GAS THE MARTIALS
CASTER WAR NOW
>>
>>54307193
Just seize the means of production
>>
>>54307233
Oh. Shit premise, magocracy is a shit theme, don't bring the caster vs. martial shit into this thread
>>
>>54307198
>everyone in the Herathian Empire was either a genetically engineered slave or a shapeshifting were-tarantula
the fuck
>>
>>54307155
Sure it was, this was the second or third trove since I started posting on /5eg/.

>>54307144
>>54307166
>>54307168
>>54307185
"Class" isn't a thing that exists in-universe. It's a prepackaged list of abilities because the game isn't point-buy, but in-universe two people can both have the same exact job but have two different classes (barbarian and fighter, rogue and ranger, etc.).
NPCs don't know your "class" because it's not a concept they understand.
>>
>>54307267

That would explain a few things.
>>
>>54307248
STRIKE QUICKLY WHILE THE CASTERS ALL HAVE NON-COMBAT BUILDING IMPROVEMENT AND OTHER UTILITY SPELLS MEMORIZED
THEY'RE HELPLESS WITHOUT A LONG REST TO CHANGE THEIR SPELLS OUT
THIS WAR WILL BE OVER BY DINNER
>>
>>54307257
Nah think about this, Wizards hate Sorcerers because they had to study and work for what this guy can do because grandma got some Bad Dragon, and Warlocks just ask demons for shit
>>
Is it possible to do a throwing weapon character that doesn't suck? I like the idea of a Rogue specialized in Throwing Daggers instead of a Bow, but it seems so mechanically inferior that I wonder what the point would even be.
>>
>>54307283
That isn't entirely true for every class in-lore. Clerics and especially Paladins are usually heavily defined by their class above most other things.
NPCs also know that there is a difference between how a Wizard gains access to magic compared to how Warlocks or Sorcerers do it, given that the NPC has knowledge of magic, of course.
>>
>>54307314
Hey, I got my powers by sacrificing somebody to Cthulhu
>>
>>54307283
>"Class" isn't a thing that exists in-universe.

it could be if you wanted it.
>>
>>54307318
Get your DM to waive weapon draw restrictions and allow Archery Fighting Style to apply to ranged weapons, then play a Battlemaster.
>>
>>54307198
Heh, true. Aranea, Lupin, Diabolus, Rakasta... I can find so many uses for 5e renditions of Mystaran races.

Hmm... I wonder if I could make the 5e Gurrash worthwhile by mixing together elements of Lizardfolk and Half-Orc. Maybe give them a sort of budget version of Berserker Rage.

Caymas... Small sized Dex/Int lizardfolk seems good, but what to give them for traits? And should I give them an analogue to Builder's Curse, where they get Disadvantage on Int checks made in relation to architecture or engineering?

>>54307267
Technically it'd be a tarantula-were; they're spiders that turn into humanoids, not the other way around.

And not, not everyone; there's a huge population of normal people who have no idea the spider-weres are really running the show.
>>
>>54307314

And everyone hates Mystics because how can mind powers even be real but shitposting aside they'd be fucking despised because you could never ever trust them
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 488x516px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 488x516px
>>54307283
>>
>>54307314
oh, like that? Yeah, that's an alright thing, I thought you meant like wizard governments. That's a pretty good thing even if it should be on a personal level.
>>
>>54307323
Not all priests are clerics, and not all clerics are priests.
That said, paladin and warlock have the most fluff tied into them.
As for wizards/sorcerers, they still represent a pretty wide array of character types, especially sorcerers. A sorcerer could be a descendant of a dragon, someone who was born with a weird quirk that links him to a plane of existence, someone marked by storm energy for no particular reason, even someone who made a deal for power that's different from the warlock's.
Wizards represent all sorts of studies - scholarly/academic, naturalistic/intuitive, etc.
And in-universe, you can bet anything 99.9% of people can't tell the difference between the two classes.
>>
>>54307337
Anyone who runs Tomb of Annihilation in Chult instead of placing it in the Savage Coast of Mystara is doing this all fucking wrong.
>>
File: 1478341348162.png (291KB, 691x576px) Image search: [Google]
1478341348162.png
291KB, 691x576px
>>54307144

>Paladins, Druids, and Wizards hate each other
>Largest cities are made up of exclusively of each of these types
>common folk are split on which one is better (Or most tolerable)

>Paladins and Paladin enforced towns are have low crime rate, but people always on edge, for even the smallest offense will have you pay a hefty fine and doing some hard labor

>Druids are the best farmers, but also hardcore believers
>must devote your entire lifestyle around their own to live amongst them in their cities

>Wizards are number one safest from outside aggression due to wards and shit, but the most costly, and general misconduct ending up with some form of property damage
>people who live here must live with extremely high insurance rates
>>
>>54307393
>not placing it in the accursed jungles of Xen'drik in Eberron
Fucking pleb, anon. Get out.
>>
>>54307403
>all of them will fall before the might of the secretive Battlemaster Collective's colossal flying Ark
>>
File: hand crossbow warning.jpg (318KB, 1066x1000px) Image search: [Google]
hand crossbow warning.jpg
318KB, 1066x1000px
Friendly reminder.
>>
>>54307439
Go read up on the Savage Coast and Legacies, then get back to us.
>>
>>54307447
You know hand crossbows were totally a thing historically, right? That's where pistol stocks come from.
>>
>>54307393
>>54307461

Surprised to see the Mystara fans show up here. I don't suppose any anon's would be interested in helping me cook up some 5e translations of classic Mystaran races?

Y'know, the Diabolus, the Lupin, the Aranea, the Cayma, the Gurrash, the Nagpa, the Tabi, the Faenare, the N'djatwa, the Phanaton, the Hutaakan, the Kubbit, the Enduk, the Manscorpion, whatever else I might have missed?
>>
File: 1496896807211.gif (504KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1496896807211.gif
504KB, 1080x1080px
>>54307393
Wouldn't the Hollow World of Mystara make more sense?
>>
>>54307447
Crossbow user is almost getting his fingers mangled.
>>
>>54307447

Are hand crossbows really that popular among painted lizard ladies?
>>
File: Sanctum_Knight.png (301KB, 419x469px) Image search: [Google]
Sanctum_Knight.png
301KB, 419x469px
>>54307447
you talkin shit about Sanctum Knights? Blasting niggas with your half crossbow/half DARK BEAD RAPE CANNON was my favorite build.

of course when you get their hand crossbow it's the size of a normal one to you but that's because the niggas are like 12 feet tall
>>
>>54307487
Only if you want dinosaurs. You can replace them with anything. Manscorpions, giant lizardmen, Herathian voats, and any other number of crazy fucking monsters hanging out in the Savage Coast.

What's neat about SC is everyone who sits there long enough magically mutates and gets saddled with some cursed superpower. Also it's got guns.
http://www.pandius.com/curseleg.html
>>
>>54307403
>Not living in the Bard Party City
>>
>>54306425
>too low fantasy
No magic and no non-humans. I play a non-magical human in real life. I need a break.

>too high fantasy
Where anything non-magical is utterly useless. I want to beable to punch people in the face and still be relevant.
>>
File: mah nigga.png (90KB, 318x235px) Image search: [Google]
mah nigga.png
90KB, 318x235px
>>54307573

mah nigga
>>
>>54307486
So... nobody interested in some 5e Mystara stuff? Because I gotta say that I, personally, am sick to death of the Forgotten Realms, and whilst I love the Nentir Vale first and foremost, Mystara is a very close second in my heart.
>>
>>54307587
>Mardi Gras everyday, complete with gumbo
>>
>>54307765

I don't really know all that much about Mystara. What would you say are the interesting bits about it?
>>
File: 1499051010295m.jpg (98KB, 640x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1499051010295m.jpg
98KB, 640x1024px
Have you ever played a character who doesn't understand much/any common?
>>
File: b85.png (184KB, 600x436px) Image search: [Google]
b85.png
184KB, 600x436px
>>54307890
what about a Beastmaster that talks like Rolf.
>>
>>54307890
I'll one-up that with my feral Orc Barbarian who understood no languages at all.

It was pretty fun, since I managed to hide it from everyone for a good session and a half.
>>
>>54306836
>monkey paw
>no granting wishes

into the trash it goes.
>>
>>54307863
The fact it's actually closer to the pre-Tolkien "weird fantasy" of the 70s and 80s than to the more "grounded" neo-Medieval/faux-Tolkienian popularized by Greyhawk.

It was literally D&D's first ever kitchen sink setting, full of fantasy and wonder.

The planet is hollow, with an interior filled with preserved samples of species and civilizations made extinct on the surface.

There's a flying city built by competent tinker gnomes orbiting the planet, and it's implied that they actually all originated there.

The moon is home to samurai catfolk who ride flying sabertoothed tigers to battle.

Few races are entirely evil; Mystara all but invented the Monster Adventurer as far as D&D is concerned, with orcs, gnolls, goblinoids, kobolds, ogres, trolls and others all being playable races.

The native gods - or Immortals - are actually all epic tier adventurers who sought out and made themselves divinely powerful, giving them a vested interest in interacting with the mortal world.

One of the most powerful nations in the world is actually secretly controlled by spellcasting, talking, sapient giant spiders who can shapeshift into human form, and whose evil master plan is typically... to get along with their neighbors, enjoy a nice venison pie for dinner, and quietly brush up on their magic studies before taking their wife out on a date.

Sorry, but I actually don't know all that much about the setting other than bits and pieces. I mostly know it for its races.
>>
>>54307890
In 4th I rolled an elf that spoke everything exoect Common, too bad the actual game went nowhere
>>
>>54307993
Anon, you need to think of the whole picture.
DM already said that attuning to that will absolutely trigger a lengthy quest. Wishes are always an option as a quest reward.
>>
>>54308025
>wish as a reward
not
>the fucked up wish is the whole reason we're ON this god forsaken quest
>>
>>54308057
I casually tossed in that having a sentient item in the group would be hilarious when we started the quest that got us that paw.
DM only chuckled smuggly back then.
Have my hopes up that it's going to be more than just a stat boosting item.
>>
File: mystarasom.jpg (616KB, 1692x1194px) Image search: [Google]
mystarasom.jpg
616KB, 1692x1194px
>>54307999
There's the thrice-cursed swashbuckling coast where everyone gets a mutant superpower but has to wear items made of metal to not die,

The secret God City on the moon where all the Immortals hang out and talk play out soap operas using the lives of mortals down below as pawns in their games of intrigue,

The ancient spaceship that crashed there millions of years ago and (relatively recently) went supernova, causing a large-scale catastrophe that nearly fucked the Hollow World,

The continent of space wizard eugenics,

Half the shit people think makes Eberron unique,

And two competent side-scrolling beat-em-up arcade games.
>>
So I had a problem today while DM'ing:

A group of goblins, a wolf and a bugbear were hiding from my PCs and the wolf got spotted since his stealth roll wasn't high enough, while the others stayed hidden.

How would you handle this would the others get a surprise round or not?
>>
File: ranmo.png (598KB, 706x540px) Image search: [Google]
ranmo.png
598KB, 706x540px
>>54307403
>Druid cities

wait what?
>>
>>54308173
Yes.

Though, to head off any fucking pedants,
>there is no surprise round
>it's just that anyone not hidden is Surprised and can take no action or reaction that round
>>
So, here's a 1st draft Nagpa; opinions?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Nagpa

Nagpa
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Magic Is Everything: You have Proficiency in Arcana and know 1 Wizard cantrip of your choice, which uses Intelligence as its ability casting score.
Cursed Never To Rest: If you die, then you will automatically return to life 1 year and 1 day after the day of your death. You will revive at the spot where you were killed, or within 1 mile of that spot if your body was destroyed or rendered unsalvagable (for example, entombed in solid rock or at the bottom of a lake). If your equipment was destroyed or stolen, you do not regain it. Additionally, you are immune to aging.
I Hear My Name: You automatically become aware of any person who speaks your name when within 10 times your Int modifier miles (minimum of 10 miles) of you. You do not hear what they say, but you can sense exactly where they are and how far they are from you.
Nagpa Staff: As part of a long rest, you can construct a nagpa staff. This is a quarterstaff that, when wielded by you, gives you Advantage on Concentration checks and can strike creatures that normally require magical attacks to harm. It has no special benefits in the hands of anyone else.
>>
>>54308173
>As you move through [area], [pc name] hears the sound of some kind of animal quietly growling somewhere nearby. (If they passed the check by 10 or more, they'd hear a muffled "shh" from the wolf's master)
>What do?

If the PCs keep walking and ignore it, they get surprised.
If they get ready for an attack, normal initiative.
If they pretend they didn't hear it and have some way to notice what's going on/communicate an amush to the rest of the party without giving away they know, they could potentially surprise the would-be ambushers.

However generally speaking when rolling for a group you'd roll the lot of them and use the average, or use whatever's lowest.
>>
>>54308173
Rules as written:
>Any character or monster that doesn't
notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter.
If all the PCs spotted the wolf, no surprise. If only some of the PCs spotted the wolf, surprise happens for the low perception PCs.
>>
>>54308212
I guess which I forgot to mention was that the monster where in another room which made the whole being surprised a bit weird, since the PC's spotted the wolf from another room.
>>
File: [Nervous Riding Intensifies].png (60KB, 299x276px) Image search: [Google]
[Nervous Riding Intensifies].png
60KB, 299x276px
>>54308201
Don't worry about it.
>>
File: naturecity.jpg (168KB, 800x498px) Image search: [Google]
naturecity.jpg
168KB, 800x498px
>>54308201
>arcologies
>buildings in trees
>trees on buildings
>smaller structures buit into hills like hobbit homes
>acequia / levadas everywhere
>>
Mystara-related question; apparently they have guns. Where is this written and detailed?
>>
>>54308247
It must really suck to be a john smith nagpa
>adv on concentration checks
back to the drawing board, senpai
>>
File: redsteel.jpg (68KB, 472x613px) Image search: [Google]
redsteel.jpg
68KB, 472x613px
>>54308334
Savage Coast / Red Steel campaign setting.
It's all buccaneers, conquistadors, and swashbuckling all the time.
"Derring-do" has its own fucking rules section.
>>
>>54308340
But it literally only works if you have the quarterstaff in your hands, and hatt prevents you from trading up for any bigger or better gear. Is it really that big of an advantage?
>>
>>54308365
Duly noted, thanks. Looks like some quintessential classic D&D reading material
>>
>>54308405
What bigger or better gear would an int based caster want?
>>
>>54308405
It might be better to just make it a flat +whatever to concentration checks, especially since "Advantage on Concentration" is a Feat, and it's bad game design to make Feats rolled into Races.
>>
So how do you guys handle hiding as an action in combat, cause I find it always weird if the rogue jumps behind a table or runs behind a pillar and decides to hide, after everyone saw him running there?
>>
What do you play when you don't know what to play? I already made like 5 charactets but I'm not satisfied with any of them.
>>
>>54308441
Like...a cool staff. One with a dope focus on it, also
>Eldritch Knight
>>
>>54308441
I... have no idea, I can never remember what magical gear 5e actually has.

I suppose it's a fair critique. How can I fix the Nagpa?

And any Mystara fans who recognize it have an opinion on its array of traits?

After all, its missing its original Corruption, Produce Flame, Animate Dead and Paralyze Lawful Humanoid spell-like abilities.

>>54308554
Huh... that, might work. Say, Int modifier +1 bonus on Concentration checks?
>>
>>54308576
>what did I just play/recently play
>what does the party already have
>what will give interesting coordination and conflict
>what sort of character development do I want them to have
>>
>>54308564
I'm willing to let it happen if the enemy is actively fighting an enemy. If Greg the PAM GWM Glaive Rapist is chopping chunks off you every turn you won't be paying as much attention to the Rogue who's running around behind the furniture. Again it's the same as "Sneak Attack ≠ Assassinate"- you can be "hidden" in combat without being 100% concealed but as soon as the fight is over they're going to just look behind that crate or wherever they last saw you.
>>
File: 1499919965119.jpg (56KB, 720x644px) Image search: [Google]
1499919965119.jpg
56KB, 720x644px
>finally in a campaign with foraging, marching order and speed, scouting, resting, encounters and dungeoneering instead of just boss battle after boss battle after boss battle
>>
A question for DMs: How in-character do you get when the players are interacting with NPCs in town? Do you try and put on voices, or just explain the party's interactions in third person?

I'm starting a new campaign and while I think I do okay on the planning side of things, I'm not used to talking for long periods of time and I find my voice gets really strained/hoarse early in the session. Any advice?
>>
Guys, i'm a first-time DM with player who ask me to use 3.5 rules. I want to use the 5th ed. ones.
Right now, there're valid arguments to choose the 3.5 instead of 5?

inb4 there's a lot of material - i don't care of it
>>
>>54307318
Way of the Knife Asshole
>>
>>54307144
Martials must seize the means of magical item production
>>
>>54308564
Generally, the bad guys probably assumes the rogue is cowering and out for the fight, or simply lost track of them. I mean sure, when you think about it in the comfort of your own home you're thinking "duh he's just right there!" But if you had some raging fuckhead swining an axe at your head and some dickass elf hurling fireballs at your face, the dude who ran around the corner suddenly feels less important.
>>
>>54308622
Concentration is already criminally easy with war caster, especially before you regularly get hit for 20+. Any bonus that doesn't exclude the normal bonuses from con is way too good.
>>
>>54308758
and suddenly I have an idea for a campaign.
>>
First ever character (whole party first timers)
Cleric of Illmater
>Need to sneak aboard a rich person gambling boat need to clear rogue's name by meeting a woman we think is related to crimes she's wanted for
>Half the party wants to buy fancy clothes and sneak on.
>Rogue is PNG in this town and it doesn't make sense for my character to wear fancy stuff so I suggest we sneak on as crew members
>stuck serving drinks
>Rest of the party failing terribly at getting answers, rogue looks bored. Asks if the overseer is watching the door down to the others
>Out of character it's my fault for ruining her fun, in character my friend needs to clear her name... the choice is clear
>Spill wine all over some rich asshole
>overseer runs to me, rogue sneaks down and gets info... I'm thrown from the ship

Question
>is it wrong to split the party always?
>>
>>54308704
3.5 had more options, but only as many valid ones as 5e. 5e is infinitely harder to break beyond repair, 3.5 can happen accidentally with ease. 3.5 bogs down the game with arbitrary mechanics and a plethora of things you can do that do nothing. From a dm perspective, 5e is such an easier system to run in every single way.
>>
>>54308854

You confirm what i thought as a player.
Right now, there's only a custom-transalte in my language of the 5e, but as year is over, they said they will release an official version
>>
>>54308622
Now that's even worse!
Congratulations, you've outdone yourself.
>>
>>54308805

Makes sense. Easy to lose track of the guy ducking behind the pillar when you've got the rest of the team trying to murder you.
>>
How viable is Arcane Trickster?
>>
>>54309032
It's the best Rogue.
>>
>>54309032
extremely and probably the most fun I have had in 5e.
Lemme do you a favor right now: Booming Blade, Mobility Feat
>>
>>54309032

Pretty damn solid, actually.
>>
>>54308854
I once tried to make a "slim" 3.5 (before Next was a thing, and after I had tried 4) with a leaner skill list and a ton of other misc changes. It was a dumpster fire but it had a lot of things in common with 5e.

3.5 had way too many skills and other bullshit. Who needs ten different types of knowledge?
>>
>>54309080
>Who needs ten different types of knowledge?
autists
>>
>>54308834
'Don't split the party' mostly applies to dungeons and such, and even then there are exceptions.
>>
Say what you will about 3.5, but I sure miss arcane mark
>>
>>54309080
I always have to go through this with a friend of mine every edition
>I dont like the lack of skills, it gives me less options
>No it doesn't
>Yes it does, now if i wanted to make a rogue with move silently but not hide, I cant!
>When have you, or anyone in the history of earth, ever made a character light that?
>Th-that's not the point!
>>
>>54308834
Not even a little bit, especially in what are low-risk non-combat environments. This sounds like a great reason. And you weren't even that far away in the end, just had to wait for the rest to leave the ship.
>>
>>54309032
It doesn't shine incredibly at anything in particular but it's the best rogue and can do a lot of things. They can use items as a bonus action with their hand, invisible force fuckery, some general spells fuckery and unlike all other rogues they are equally as good in melee and at range for potential specilizations. They get constantly good features considering spell progression+still getting features anyway, unlike some other rogue archetypes.
>>
>>54308622
Nagpa staff: When you hit a hostile creature with your nagpa staff, you have advantage on concentration checks until the start of your next turn.
I don't really know the flavor of the race, but if they have a staff they probably want to use amirite?
>>
>>54308093
>two competent side-scrolling beat-em-up arcade games.
Which ones?
>>
Whats the highest possible AC you can get without anything from plane shifts/UA?
>>
>>54309230
doesn't matter, you'll just get hit with a wis save.
>>
File: 1495305911505.png (2MB, 646x1696px) Image search: [Google]
1495305911505.png
2MB, 646x1696px
>>54307318
>>54308706
>>
>>54309185
Skills in 3.5: 40
Skills in 5e: 18

Not even including the different versions of knowledge, Perform, etc.
Combining Climb, Balance, Jump, Tumble, and Swim into two things makes a lot of sense too.
Handle Animal now includes Ride.

So many good decisions that trimmed the fat from 3.5.
>>
>>54309203
>It doesn't shine incredibly at anything in particular but it's the best rogue and can do a lot of things.

It's actually the worst. Assasin gets crits for free which can become very crazy with speciific multiclass builds, swashbuckler is a legit two hand fighter that can effectively sneak attack every single turn without worry and thief is the one that can actually use items as a bonus action (alll of the actually useful versions of "use an object" require attack roles or manipulation that's beyond mage hand). even mastermind has some neat perks that nobody else can really do even if they suck.

Meanwhile trickster spell progression is so bad that just taking a 3 level wizard dip for your rogue that has a real subclass makes you better than up to 13 levels of AT casting with a way better spell list, more slots, a school power and rituals at the cost of slightly worse sneak attack.

It's a trap option, and I say this as someone that really wanted to make it work.
>>
>>54309185
I can't even think of a situation where someone who moves quietly couldn't also be good at hiding.
>>
>>54309292
This thing is fucking great.
>>
>>54309230
barbarian with maxed dex and con + a shield + the defence fighting style from fighter + the shield spell = 26 AC
>>
>>54309315
that's my point, he always says it lacks customization, but then always cites these bizarre skill choices that no one would EVER do, least of all his power-gaming, net-building, ass.
>>
>>54309315
A forklift with warning lights that makes ZERO noise when moving.
>>
>>54309230
plate +3
shield +3
Shield spell
Bladesinger ability
Shield of Faith
Ring of Protection

That's 39 I guess. But I don't even know if there's +3 shields.
>>
Is Create Thrall as powerful as it looks? This thing has no saving throw or anything.
>>
>>54309426
Defense fighting style for +1
>>
>>54309426
Oh yeah, add defense fighting style.
It's a paladin/ bladesinger wizard multiclass.
>>
>>54309447
It's Doesn't Matter/10 because you'll never reach the level where you gain it.
and that's not a "hurr no game lasts past level 9" meme, it's a "your DM is shit if he hasn't turned your GOOlock insane by then" meme
>>
>dm uses xp
>miss a session so im about 100 xp away from everyone else
>they level up, but im not far behind so it isn't much of an issue
>dm suddenly starts using milestone because its 'easier'
>now 1 level below the party forever
F U N
>>
>>54309426
>>54309448
>>54309450
Just remembered bladesinger can't be wearing shields and heavy armor, so scrap 5AC from it.
>>
>>54309471
your DM is not using it correctly.
>>
>>54309471
Did you try talking to him?
>>
>>54309471

Have you brought up the disparity with your DM?
>>
>>54309470
We'll be playing Out of the Abyss, so we'll be playing beyond that level.
>>
>>54309554
>just going to play a character beholden to the inscrutable whims of a timeless entity from beyond the veil of reality while stuck in the FUCKING UNDERDARK with demon lords and illithids
>i'll totally live to see the end of this campaign
>>
>>54308667
I don't do different voices because I'm ass at it and can't help but corpse if I do anything even remotely close to an accent. I will try to portray emotions , mannerisms, and other things as well as I can to give a modicum of variety to NPCs.

I always speak in first person, it makes it easier since I can just have a conversation in-character and not have to worry about describing things too much.
>>
>>54307283
>this was the second or third trove since I started posting on /5eg/

When did you start posting? I'm talking about before Megaanon was kill. When that happened we knew it was the Roll20 shit. Is that stuff still in the troves?

I downloaded the entire trove a while ago but it's harder to get new stuff that comes out when we don't have a dedicated place to hold it all.
>>
>>54309627
Just don't be a chicken shit little bitch and you'd be right.
>>
>>54309310
>Skills in 3.5: 40
>Skills in 5e: 18
Jesus, I'm happy WotC learned from at least one mistake. What a shitshow that must have been.
>>
Can a Druid use a wooden Glaive that they made as their focus?

Can you make a wooden Glaive?
>>
How do you handle physical disabilities (like missing limbs) in your games? Are magical/mechanical prosthetics an option?

How would you reflect something like that mechanically?
>>
>>54309725

It was. Hell, you had to decide between Spot and Listen.
>>
>>54309351
Actually it's 28
>>
>>54309310
>>54309725
You still have autists and retards complaining about the skills in 5e.
>>
>>54309745
They retire, because no one wants a fucking gimp in the party to begin with.
>>
File: 3.5 skills.png (68KB, 966x336px) Image search: [Google]
3.5 skills.png
68KB, 966x336px
>>54309725
>>54309757
>>
>>54309734
>slashing weapon
>made of wood
Pick one.

Alternatively ask your DM for a wooden glaive infused with magic to keep it sharp through use against metal armour.

Also, why can't you just use a normal glaive?
>>
>>54309790
>no one wants a fucking gimp in the party to begin with.
Does that mean you refuse to play with fighters and barbarians too?
>>
File: 9e6.gif (2MB, 482x373px) Image search: [Google]
9e6.gif
2MB, 482x373px
>>54306352
Me and my discord buddies are EAGER to play D&D 5e OP. None of us has DM'd, we don't know exactly how to play but we understand the basic concepts. We have a drawfag that's good and he will be providing us with art for our campaigns. I've been trying to learn how to DM even though I literally never played D&D before (have played only Vampire before honestly). We're a rag tag group of lurkers from different boards and different places of the world. The question is...

Do you guys have tips for begginers, or is anyone willing to show us the ropes?
>>
File: 1432679911468.jpg (79KB, 299x276px) Image search: [Google]
1432679911468.jpg
79KB, 299x276px
>>54309734
>wooden glaive
>>
>>54309819

Sure. Is there something specific you want to know, or do you just need some general advice?
>>
What's the best choice for breath weapon as Dragonborn?

I feel like acid could come in handy out of combat if I really need to melt through some metal chains or such.
>>
>>54309850
>falling for the Dragonborn meme
>>
>>54307155
Even when Meganon was running the trove, it got taken down every six months or so. It just happens.
>>
>>54309819
Make sure at least 1 person in the party brings a 10ft wooden pole
>>
>>54309819
The most important aspect of good DMing is to be able to improvise if push comes to shove. Try to mark down the most common rules until you're familiar with them (combat and saving throws as wel as status effects; generally the entire combat section really) and try not to waste too much time on very minor rules issues. If you'd spend 15 minutes searching for something that ultimately makes a difference of getting 1 silver more or less from something or the difference if Player A kills the skeleton or if Player B kills it immediately after, you're better off just going with what makes the most sense for the moment to not drag things to a halt.

Are you playing a premade setting/campaign or are you guys homebrewing stuff?
>>
>>54309850
Don't play Dragonborn.
>>
>>54309877
>Not an 11 foot pole
>>
File: obsidianknifecut.jpg (15KB, 480x482px) Image search: [Google]
obsidianknifecut.jpg
15KB, 480x482px
>>54309806
>>54309734
It's called obsidian, fuckos.
>google 'obsidian glaive'
>get some Lego shit
>google 'obsidian knife'
>get a picture of a wound from an obsidian cut
neat
>>
>>54309848
>>54309877
>>54309899

Thanks for the tips. General advice would be nice. I can get the text books, and bestiary but I'm finding it hard to get a beginners campaign. We're all starting out without a veteran and only know what we know due to superfluous contact with other games like pathfinder, vampire and w40k. None of us knows jack shit about dming. We're begging for someone that can help us honestly.
>>
>>54309916
They were also used in sacrificial rituals.
>>
How often do you like to give out magic items?
>>
>>54309862
>>54309902
Is there actually anything wrong with Dragonborn or do is it just the people associated with them that you dislike
>>
>>54309877
I was playing a halfling so my DM was pissy at me wondering where I would keep it. So I went to the local smith in one of the towns and had him make one out of metal that collapsed into itself.
>>
>>54308173
If the monsters were all hiding as a group I would've used one stealth roll for all of them. If they had vastly different stealth bonuses I'd roll individually and take the average. Same for when my players all want to stealth at the same time.
>>
Got a question. I have a weekly game with mostly newer guys. My friend and I have been playing 5E for about a year but the other three guys are DnD virgins.

I went into it with the plan to let them decide how we are going to be playing and how we are going to talk to NPCs. I was going to be the wise soldier than comes up with a couple clever ideas and to protect the Warlock, Wizard and Rogue the best I can.

That being said, things can get a bit slow and bogged down a bit; deciding whether to kill the Goblins stealing our shit during the night, who we should tell that we caught some town guards stealing supplies, etc.

This week, we spent 90 minutes thinking out loud about how and who we were going to report the thieves too. The town leader, the captain of the guards, the owner of the outfitting company that was robbed or the town's cleric that we were there to help originally.

Should I let them hash things out or make a quicker decision to sort of force their hand?
>>
>>54309968
>can keep a six foot bow or sword on your back no problem
>a piece of wood which weighs about the same but is four feet longer is too much
>>
Joke Magic Item, boots of the yuan ti
>>
>>54309936
I've not played it personally but I believe Lost Mines of Phandelver is specifically designed for newbies.
>>
>>54309310
What do people think about the decision to have tool proficiencies?

Would it have been better to have a "disguise" skill rather than "disguise kit"? Poisoning skill rather than poison kit, security rather than thieves tools, etc.
>>
>>54310011
>not scaling down weapons to what would be proper for a halfling.
I did use a longbow though. Which was just a regular bow.
>>
>>54309936
I personally like Princes of the Apocalypse quite a bit. It has level 1 adventures in it and a pretty fun campaign throughout. You should grab it from the mega trove >>54306714 under 5e Modules.

Giving that and the relevant parts for beginners from the DM Guide a read should give you plenty to work with and a nice overview how stuff works and all that. It's a bit much reading at first, but most things DMing related are usually resolved with common sense. Encounters in campaigns are usually premade anyway and if you do decide to change them or make your own, there's generators to help you with that, if the manual formula is a bit overwhelming.

The DnD modules and campaigns tend to hold your hands pretty well and lead you through things when starting out with pretty good clearity. It's obviously still a good amount of learning at first but as long as you don't make giant rules mistakes, things should be fine if you are just creative as a DM and remember to play WITH your players, not AGAINST them.
>>
>>54309968
>Halfling using a Heavy weapon
Cheating isn't good, anon
>>
>>54310087
>I personally like Princes of the Apocalypse quite a bit
My nigga. SKTfags get out.
>>
>>54310013
One giant boot that covers your entire legs. Yuan-ti will perceive you as a genuine yuan-ti abomination, but you must spend 1 extra foot of movement for every foot you move and you have disadvantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. Requires attunement.
>>
>>54310108
>his Halfling doesn't lift
That's your own fault.
If a Large creature can use Light weapons, Small creatures can use Heavy weapons. It's only fair.
>>
>>54309968
That's really picky but any DM that allows the good old collapsible pole can't be all bad.
>>
File: KuriboShoeMario.jpg (14KB, 250x381px) Image search: [Google]
KuriboShoeMario.jpg
14KB, 250x381px
>>54310121
>>
>>54310127
RAW Large creatures have their own special weapons with doubled damage dice.

Also RAW Small creatures can use Heavy weapons, they just have disadvantage on attack rolls when doing so. It's not cheating unless you decided to roll without disadvantage. I don't see why you wouldn't just use a shortbow though.
>>
>>54310127
>If a Large creature can use Light weapons, Small creatures can use Heavy weapons. It's only fair.
That's like saying if an ogre can lift a feather, a man should be able to lift a boulder

Like what is the logical connection between the two statements, I'm not seeing it
>>
>party fights Paladin shield wall on bridge
>Dwarf runs up and starts picking them up and throwing them off the bridge on one side
>Wizard shoves them off the cliff one by one with Bigby's Hand on the other
>party got 6 environmental kills in a 12 enemy encounter
Noice.
>>
>>54310186
Damage dice. And we didn't make me roll disadvantage because ranger gave proficiency, I had traits and background that favored archery, and most importantly, we didn't care.
>>
>>54310231
>Fighter didn't run up and full attack
But /tg/ told me martials are only good at full attacks
>>
File: lindygun.jpg (76KB, 1065x859px) Image search: [Google]
lindygun.jpg
76KB, 1065x859px
>>54310231
>party fighting a bunch of Paladins
>>
Am I a powergamer if I carry a bunch of different weapons for different situations

For example if I usually wielded a Longsword but I carried a Warhammer as well in case we ran into skeletons?
>>
>>54310241
>and most importantly, we didn't care
You should ask your dm to let you cast Fireball at will and call him anti-fun if he says no
>>
>>54310274
No, you're just playing smart.
>>
>>54310263
They were possessed so is all gud.
>>
>>54310274
no, that's just sensible.
>>
>>54310308
You didn't try to UN-possess them first?
>>
>>54310293
I was a ranger. And it was more we didn't pay attention to weapon weight rules for small characters than ignoring the rule outright.
>>
File: mummy_weapons_bag_1.jpg (39KB, 550x313px) Image search: [Google]
mummy_weapons_bag_1.jpg
39KB, 550x313px
>>54310274
No. I have a character who doesn't use any particular weapon at all. He carries around an O'Connel-from-1998-The-Mummy weapon bag full of shit he picks up as he goes. He only carries a "couple," of "emergency," weapons on his person, and most of his hurting stuff is in that bag.
>>
>>54306352
>One of the things that I dislike about a lot of high fantasy/isekai books is that they tend to really glorify the concept of living in another world. Specifically, I think that having characters easily get ahead in life doesn't really reflect the reality of living in a society with no modern science, modern technology or rule of law. I'm still working out the specifics, but the idea is that I want my character to be really pathetic in as many ways as he can be

>I think a bard works well for that.

First time player said this, how would /tg/ play this character
>>
File: PleasingFlakyHornet.gif (940KB, 398x223px) Image search: [Google]
PleasingFlakyHornet.gif
940KB, 398x223px
>>54307144
>>
>>54310332
>We weren't ignoring it
>We just chose not to pay attention

>>54310308
>These good, valiant people are all being made to act against their will!
>Welp, time to murder them.

Quality posters tonight
>>
File: Capture.png (61KB, 377x146px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
61KB, 377x146px
>>54310332
The issue isn't "muh tiny characters are weak", it's that a Longbow is literally twice as tall as you are. It's one thing to say a Small character with a Greatsword because tiny dude-big sword is a common trope, but in this case you literally couldn't pull the string back even if you were strong enough.

Mechanically, however, it's no big deal. Just say you have a heavy composite "shortbow" that's the size of a longbow for you.
>>
>>54310326
The one possessing was hiding in the tower they were shield-walling off. We had their Captain of the guard and his personal circle on our side as well, while their order's leader was under mind control and controlled most of the rest from his private sanctum.
>>
>>54310241
Right, the lower damage dice is kind of the entire point. Small races aren't supposed to have access to the heavy weapons because they each get a trait that's supremely more awesome than anything a Medium race gets (halflings get the Lucky thing and gnomes get Gnome Cunning). In exchange they do a point or two less average damage than a Medium creature. Your houserule is basically a big "Fuck you" to Medium martials, especially Medium martials using Strength, which is already the inferior stat next to Dexterity. Small races can suddenly make full use of stuff like PM and GWM at no greater cost to them compared to a Medium.
>>
>>54309823
What is this masterpiece from
>>
>>54310436
Appears to be "our guy" Karthus from League of ASSFAGGOTS.
>>
>>54310396
>not circumventing the bridge entirely to break the possession or simply KOing them all
>straight to fucking mass murder of the innocent
>>
Someone has been saying the monk has pretty good class features, is this true?
>>
>>54310017
>>54310087
Thanks a lot guys. This is exactly what I was looking for.
>>
>>54310466
It's OK. Don't play elements monk and you'll do fine.
>>
>>54310460
I always hate when fantasy writers and DMs try to do military stuff and focus on just making the battles happen.

Battles happened because forces were trying to take objectives away from each other. Figuring out maneuver and ground, your logistics train, and cutting off your enemy's access to logistics and objectives should be more important than forcing the battle because you want to imagine a Peter Jackson battlespace.
>>
>>54310466
Shadow step is p. cool
>>
>>54310466
The monk is probably one of the most limited classes for their possibilities, but they at least do what they do well.

Stunning fist is great, yes, and that one extremely late ability where they get damage resistance to everything but force and invisibility is ridiculous, but that comes far too late.

Other than that, they lack damage and are often squishier than others, and require 'mobile' in order to effectively keep themselves safe, yet they want ASIs and can't afford to spend it all on feats.

Then they have some other stray stuff such as deflect missiles or slow fall which is mostly just side extras.

I wouldn't say it's true. They don't have good class features, they have a good class feature and that's about it.
>>
>>54310460
Bridge was the only way to the fort. Tried dispelling stuff whenever we could, but you only have that many spell slots for that. Our Party members killed 8 Paladins, knocked one unconscious and broke the spell on the rest.
Which then almost all died keeping our back safe when we entered the tower while Zombies were being shit out of portals to Shadowfell.

Killing only 9 members of the 40-something currently stationed on that island of a 100+ member order was a pretty good quota, considering our DM assumed we'd go in guns-blazing and intended it to be a full-fledged dungeon.
>>
>>54310518

What's wrong with elements monk?
>>
>>54310466
Stunning strike is so busted it makes Monk viable all by itself
>>
are unconventional character builds even possible in 5e or did they cut so many options that you'll ruin everything for everyone if you try one?
>>
>>54309292
Still my favorite.
>>
>>54310586
Inferior abilities that are generally "Do a wizard spell, but pay way too many ki points for it" and ability costs that grow faster than your ki pool so you endurance goes down as you gain levels.
>>
File: 1459987083495.jpg (13KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1459987083495.jpg
13KB, 184x184px
>all these snowflakes butthurt over a few dead paladins
>>
>>54310586
Their abilities are mediocre and cost an absurd amount of ki to use
>>
>>54310609
Depends what you mean by unconventional. If you just mean cheesy gimmick builds then there's plenty to go around.
>>
>>54310609
You can literally make 8 INT wizards and do just fine. Have fun.
>>
>>54310648
care to recommend any?
>>
>>54310429
You don't understand Anon. He wants to have his cake and eat it too. Nobody wants to have a weakness or a flaw. He wants his stats to be all 20s. He wants to have all the feats. He wants to be a 20 wizard and 20 fighter.
>>
Hi.
I'm trying to learn how to DM, and really nervous.
What should I take into consideration when designing a scenario?
Also, I heard about a DM book for 5e, but I didn't see anything in OP. Sauce?
>>
>>54310678
Depends what you mean by unconventional.

Or are you just another person who wants to know if there's any OP super-combos to break the game, as a joke, haha, I'm sure my DM and fellow players will think it's funny haha.
>>
>>54310580
>Wizard has 5th level spells since he Bigby'd
>not just creating your own bridge with Wall of Force or Stone
>not having your party members climb into Bags of Holding and Dimension Dooring across with the odd man out
>not upcasting Fly and floating across at night
So many ways to circumvent these Paladins.
>>
>>54310708
>What should I take into consideration when designing a scenario?
Don't expect most things to go how you expect. Have contingencies prepared so you aren't making everything up on the fly.
>>
>>54310678
I've been playing a kobold War Cleric who doesn't do anything but screech and throw nets on people.

Fun fact: War Cleric is the only class that can throw a net using their bonus action
>>
Name my NPC Minotaur who's going to betray the party.
>>
Was Blackrazor always a two-handed sword? I'm finding him a bit restrictive compared to the more versatile Whelm and Wave, and planning on running White Plume Mountain I'm kinda stuck because none of my players made Great Weapon-users.
>>
Why is Dragonlance less popular than Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk? I don't know much about Dragonlance and I'm curious.
>>
>>54310745
The Cowlossus.
>>
>>54310745
Cleof
>>
>>54310745
Sidh T'eedee Emm
>>
>>54310745

Veal McSteal? Steak McFake?
>>
>>54310745
Sheldon Von Backstabbo.

But seriously, off the top of my head... Kantharr The Relentless.
>>
>>54310745
Nordal Cedbinte
Hint: it's an anagram for "Benedict Arnold"
>>
>>54310763
I don't know for sure why it's less popular (Kender I assume) but I can answer most questions you have on it probably.
>>
>>54310745
Judas
Bolivar
Snouck
Pizarro
Benedict
Marcus
>>
Unless I'm misreading the rules, am I correct in assessing that Concentration rules would make it considerably more practical for a wizard to Polymorph another person into a mammoth and have them charge into a group of enemies than it would be for that same wizard to turn themselves into a mammoth with Shapechange and do the same thing?
>>
File: 1489707933110.jpg (72KB, 500x738px) Image search: [Google]
1489707933110.jpg
72KB, 500x738px
>>54310352
Sounds like they shouldn't be playing DND
>>
>>54310745
FRIDGE MCBEEFHUGE
>>
>>54310810
You are correct.
Doubly so if the other guy has class features related to breaking face that'd still function.
Like, say, a barbarian. Polymorphed barbarians are hilarious.
>>
>>54310745
Brutus
>>
>>54310810
You're correct. Wizards should avoid being stabbed while trying to cast a spell.
>>
>>54310716
I don't want to be overpowered or anything, just functional

I've been playing different editions of d&d for years but I'm just now moving into 5e and I'm tired of playing the same old stuff
>>
>>54310799

Kender, Tinker Gnomes, Gully Dwarves-but what really put a bee in my bonnet is the nonsense about that one king making Good "too powerful" by creating a totalitarian state that employs mind control and punishes wrong-think.
>>
>>54310776
Pun too advance for /5eg/ apparently

>>54310718
Murderhobos gonna murderhobo, mate. They'll always figure out how to justify it.
>>
>>54310745
Norl.
>>
>>54310708
We usually have every pdf in the mega, but it's down for now, so try this one: https://mega.nz/#F!8lhwhRhY!QtPgmG-SJLu8CSBEjRutqA
You'll go into the 5e folder and download Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual. Those are the 3 core books, and you should ideally read the first two and have the latter handy if you want to DM.
Now, there's a starter adventure, called Lost Mines of Phandelver. It's in the link I provided as well. It's a rather simple adventure, and it comes with a basic version of the rules, which should be enough to get you going without needing to go through 600+ pages.
What you do is:
>read rule books or basic rules book
>read Lost Mines of Phandelver book
>invite some friends to play
>ask them to read basic rules as well
>prepare to explain how things are because none will read
>hand out the pre-generated characters to skip the possibly lengthy character creation
>have fun

You can ask questions freely here, we're usually friendly enough if you at least read before asking.

Now, for a comment, we really ought to have a "getting started" document in the OP.
>>
>>54310230
>what is the logical connection
There is none, that anon is retarded.

>>54310810
I guess, but since you have the physical stats of whatever shape you took, you're probably going to have higher CON in mammoth form than your normal old self.

if your DM doesn't have ways to force a CON save at least once in a while, regardless of how far you are from the frontline, then you're playing with babby mode enabled
>>
>>54310858
You're just butthurt that you didn't get any (You)s for being "clever"
>>
>>54310858

Well, perhaps they don't know Irish pronunciation. That, or it just wasn't funny.
>>
>>54310874
If you have a "frontline" you're playing with baby mode enabled.
>>
>>54310882
Of course I am. I'm not going to deny that.

>>54310895
Both, probably.
>>
>>54310867
Thank you so much! And yeah, that does sound like it'd be helpful, it's all a bit intimidating.

>>54310733
So, don't plan a route, but several paths to the same destination?
>>
>>54310896
What
>>
>>54310850
I dunno, say what kind of character you have in mind and post it here. I'm sure someone can think of something fitting for it.

Or just read over the classes and see if anything pops out to you, then ask here what anons think of it. worst case is they say you're retarded, but will probably at least say why.
>>
>>54310745
Garren
>>
>>54310745
Beet Trayer.
>>
>>54310718
>cast Wall of Force
>don't make it all the way to the tower
>dimension dooring behind the paladins to be cornered between them and hundreds of undead
>dozens of skeletons inside the fortress equipped with bows while our presence was obviously known to the order master and the ones controlling him
Can't exactly avoid a conflict when the other party outnumbers you in every regard, knows your every move and is in one of the most fortified buildings of the hemisphere.
>>
>>54310909
Also, it might be helpful to watch some related videos on youtube. There's lots of streams of people playing lost mines that you can watch to get an idea of how it's going to be.
>>
>>54310958
>>54310745
Beef Trayer
>>
>>54310810
>>54310847
>>54310841
I'm having Vietnam flashbacks to my first 5E campaign, where I mistakenly gave the party the Ring of Invisibility at 6th level.

Every combat became "Wizard casts polymorph on Barbarian and then becomes invisible on their next action." I still have nightmares over all the poor, poor encounters that fucked over.
>>
>>54310909

Indeed. There's a thing magicians like to do called "equivocation"-they offer someone a choice, but either option results in the same thing. Works for DMs too; if all you have prepared is one town, and the players decide to go the exact opposite direction, all you have to do is swap some names, maybe tinker with the description, and you'll have a brand new town with them none the wiser.
>>
>>54306425
>Ruins of an ancient civilization
Isn't that what D&D started out at, but we kind of got away from that somewhere between 2nd and 4e? Like, you get a band of people to go explore some ruin because it's there and hasn't been picked clean.
>>
File: 14568231.jpg (77KB, 703x703px) Image search: [Google]
14568231.jpg
77KB, 703x703px
>>54310925
I don't really have anything in mind though
>>
>>54311041
Okay well let's figure out a place to start

Caster, Martial, or Gish?
>>
>>54311001
So did that ring grant Invisibility or Greater Invisibility? Because unless it's the latter he can't attack without revealing himself
>>
Quick question because I need to make an on-the-spot ruling:

>Fighter attacks wizard in melee combat with a sword
>On his action, wizard casts invisibility on himself
>Invisible wizard backs away from fighter

Does the invisible wizard provoke an attack of opportunity at any point of this exchange?
>>
>>54311057
either caster or martial probably, I never really found gish playstyles to be any fun
>>
>>54311073
Regular invisibility, thank god, but the player was content with his main contribution to every combat being "stay invisible after the Barb becomes a wyvern"
>>
>>54311079
If the wizard makes sound when he moves or leaves tracks, the wizard will provoke when he moves away. However, that attack will be made with disadvantage.
>>
>>54310923
Yeah I dunno either, I guess he's just butthurt his martial friends don't wanna wall for him.
>>
>>54311079
I not certain, but I think yes, and the attacker has disadvantage
>>
>>54311087
okay then pick one already

jesus you're making this difficult
>>
>>54311079
Yes, disadvantage on the attack
>>
>>54310745
D'Rusd Igai
inb4 nobody gets it
>>
File: 1494915938563.jpg (14KB, 219x265px) Image search: [Google]
1494915938563.jpg
14KB, 219x265px
>>54311129
CASTER
>>
>>54311079
I say no. AOO only work if you can see the enemy.
p. 195 of PHB:
>You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach.
>>
>>54310745
Himeno Kimihara
>>
>>54311176
WHICH'N KINDA CASTER U FINNA BE SON

>WIZERD
>CLERC
>DROOD
>SORCIE
>WARLOUKE
>>
>>54311158

I'm not sure I'd trust the guy.
>>
>>54311158
I'm dumb pls explain
>>
>>54311196
I am looking for UNCONVENTIONAL BUILDS

doesn't matter to me as long as it's WEIRD AS SHIT
>>
>>54311240
Halfling Beastmaster with a pet Panther.

Now you wear your Half-Plate, carry a Shield and a Lace, mount your pet and become the Knight of the Panther.
>>
>>54311176
Illusion Wizard is fun, Lore Bard too since you won't go Valor because you don't like gish builds (even though the flavour is delicious)
>>
>>54311271
stolen
>>
>>54311079
AOO specifically cites seeing the enemy, can't see means no AOO

No awoo either!
>>
>>54306836

>9 AC

how do you live
>>
>>54311272
I thought lore bard was the normal build for bards
>>
>>54311240
1 level in every class.
do it faggot!
>>
>>54311303
Already did this, but with a Ranger instead. Worked about as well as you'd expect.
>>
Banishment guy from a couple threads ago, since banishment doesn't work at all in Barovia does that mean that other temporary plane shifting abilities like Blink don't work either?
>>
>>54311219
"Trusty Guy," or something like that?
>>
>>54311383

Isn't Beast Master a Ranger, though?
>>
>>54309187
Isn't guessing combat vs non metagaming?
Also
> And you weren't even that far away in the end
You weren't just kidding. The DM had a guard tell me there was 30 ft of rope running behind the ship... just grab on... a roll per 10 feet
okay roll athletics to keep up with the rope and str to grab it
>18, 20

At the end I roll into shore as everyone else is chasing some lead.
>4 noble dressed people and some wet poor guy running the streets at 4 a.m. nothing to see here.
>>
>>54311391
Blink and the like work. You can go to the Ethereal plane, but you must go back to Barovia when you leave.
>>
>>54311079
AoO specifically require sight. If you have some other significant method of sense, i might let you roll if you can sell me. Being invisible is generally as good as "disengaging" could ever be.
>>
>>54311391
"Astral projection, teleport, plane shift, and similar spells cast for the purpose of leaving Barovia simply fail, as do effects that banish a creature to another plane of existence."
Blink should be okay, but if the players were to somehow think of a way to jury-rig Blink to get them out of Barovia, it would then fail.
>>
>>54311401
Oh rip. I got confused with something else.
>>
>>54311391
Does Barovia have its own tangential planes? If so, i could see an ethereal barovia working just fine, but without them, no way to get there/
>>
>>54308290
that Gargoyle/statue thing looks really out of place
>>
Rolled 18 (1d20)

If even I order a pizza and work on my roll20 assets and pull an all nighter.
If odd I actually try to sleep before work.
If 20 I go out and actually go grocery shopping tonight instead of wasting money on delivery.
>>
>>54311413
>Isn't guessing combat vs non metagaming?
I didn't mean non-combat as "there isn't any fighting going on here nor will there every be", but more as the PC's considering an environment to be "we probably aren't going to get in a fight, we can split up in this area and not die"

Sure you can get in a tavern brawl in any tavern, and you could have attacked every guard on that ship. But I'm sure you guys thought it was safe enough to not be murderhobos for one night, in character anyway
>>
>>54311471
Lucky. I sure wouldn't mind having pizza and doing some campaign work but I got work in the morning and I'm at that age when all-nighters aren't a possibility anymore...
>>
File: feels bad man.png (44KB, 132x129px) Image search: [Google]
feels bad man.png
44KB, 132x129px
>>54311619
The pizza place is closed early for some reason.

Guess I'll get some groceries.
>>
Rolled 9, 16, 6, 9, 7, 20 = 67 (6d20)

rolling barbarogue
>>
>>54311650
Ack, that happened to me once too... Fortunately I live in a big city so I had alternate options.

Make sure to get a couple of frozen pizzas (or even unfrozen premade pizzas if your grocery store makes em) to compensate!
>>
File: 1432665853360.png (16KB, 174x231px) Image search: [Google]
1432665853360.png
16KB, 174x231px
>>54311663
Okay so Bard
>>
>>54311663
Well you got the first three letters right...
>>
Rolled 3, 9, 2, 10, 6, 5 = 35 (6d20)

Rolling a veritable god
>>
>>54311707
The God of Failure.
>>
File: disgusting.png (58KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.png
58KB, 200x200px
>>54311707
>>
>>54311728
At least he's got average intelligence?
>>
>>54311473
I appreciate the info.
I guess I'm a bit biased since we've been hit
>during a town festival (might have been time to armor up i dono)
>on a city street

Also what's the procedure on party wipes? We rolled all our encounters up to now, then the whole party gets smashed (because I was too stupid to realize I could just clobber them to get rid of (some sort of mind control I don't know I'm new). But apparently next session we're all alive but in prison does that happen?
Also why can the ranger do 15-25 damage ranged, and still hit with 2 1h weps better than my cleric? I guess we're using some sort of different ranger rules but it is broken.
Guy does 50% of all fight damage, then the fighter, and the sorceress spends all her time mad that she can't do huge dmg without hitting us too.
>>
What's your favorite homebrew?

Race, class, deity, spell, whatever.
>>
>>54311707
>Average score is 5.8
Truly, the heavens are shaking in awe

>>54311744
Slightly below average, even! Magnificent.
>>
>>54311391
Whatever beings made the plane probably thought 'Oh, what if a wizard comes in and wants to use blink?' and made a seperate plane linked to Barovia for blink to conveniently teleport to.
>>
>>54311823
But... an intelligence of 10 is the average? Neither bonus'd nor penalty'd.
>>
>>54311747
>next session we're all alive and in prison
Common enough not to really bat an eye. Sometimes a choice like that is a DM fiat (railing the party to a prison escape or into the belly of the cult or whatever). Sometimes is a DM mea culpa (CR too high for the party or "I'm not ready to let your story end here"). On the other hand, if you are looking to jettison your character now is a good time to do it.

I feel like the story can die with the party, in which 4 months or 4 years of collaborative work might feel wasted.
>>
>>54311859
Bet he's one of those guys that because they suck at everything just spend all day indoors reading and posting on the internet, and think they're smarter than their peers and got everything figured out.
>>
>>54311707
Not included: racial luck abilities
>>
>>54310738
Ek can at level 7 with warmagic
Couldnt anyone with dual wielder feat or am i reading it wrong
>>
>>54311909
Two weapon fighting is only melee weapons (PHB page 195)
>>
>>54311859
Technically, the average roll is 10.5. That makes the average 11.5 for regular humans and 10.83 for v. humans.

>>54311881
Truly impressive projection, m8
>>
>>54311874
Perfect sense made.
2 members missing for that fight and one guy was talking about rolling a new char.
>>
>>54311951
Obviously the average between races varies, and those stats are before racials so if he was a Human he'd have 11 int.
>>
>>54311992
Fair enough.
Then since it's pre-racials, 10 is objectively under the average of 10.5.
>>
>>54311747
Not every class does the same at-will damage.

A ranger or barbarian or fighter should be doing more at-will damage than a caster.

Casters are generally better at burst and non-combat stuff.
Sorcerers are kinda shafted though and don't get a lot of out of combat utility.
>>
>>54312020
Average on a d20 isn't average on 3d6, 4d6 or in universe, in which 10 flat is commoner stats,
>>
>>54312031
>average on a d20 isn't average on 3d6
shit nigger what are u doing
>>
>>54312031
>Average on a d20 isn't average on 3d6
in this case, it is. average for 1d6 is 3.5, 3.5x3 = 10.5
>>
>>54311341
It's on you to make something interesting with it then. If you're literally unable to make your own decisions, find a random chargen engine on the internet.
>>
>>54312049
1d6 -> 3.5 average
3d6 -> 10.5 average
C'mon, Anon. It's not rocket science.
4d6 is only exceptional people, and at any rate RAISES the average.
>>
I'm coming up with a very small one-shot which focuses on Giants and guilds. Which campaign settings/regions are most similar to Denmark/Netherlands?
>>
>>54312068
do you know what the word 'unconventional' means?
>>
>>54312030
Sorcerers casting two cantrips per turn can do some pretty decent at-will damage

Even better if you pick up 2 levels or Warlock for Agonizing Blast. At that point, your at-will damage is even competitive with Sharpshooter fighters.
>>
>>54312094
It's not at-will if it requires sorcery points
>>
>>54312071
I hope you're only pretending to be retarded.
>>
File: 1434945399949.png (17KB, 492x317px) Image search: [Google]
1434945399949.png
17KB, 492x317px
>>54312071
Yeah, and the average on a d20 is also 10.5
?????????????
>>
>>54312137
I was responding to >>54312031, who stated "average on a d20 isn't average on 3d6."

>>54312108
Enlighten me.
>>
>>54312107
If you can go through an entire adventuring day and still have sorcery points it might as well be at-will. And you definitely can if you're willing to sacrifice some spell slots.
>>
>>54312159
Actually that's not who you responded to
>>
>>54312183
Fuck
Mea culpa
>>
>>54312071
Meant to reply to >>54312031
>>
>>54312091
Nothing in 5e is unconventional. It's either viable (which makes it conventional as people will play it normally), unviable (these are rare because pretty much anything can work in 5e, making them unconventional in the sense that you have to really make an effort to create it), or a meme build. The latter is "unconventional" in that it contravenes norms (Barbarogue for example isn't the first thing people think of when they consider a barbarian) but they're still viable, which makes them conventionally used.

Sorry dude, there's no le quirky xD ebin meme build that'll make you stand out from any other member of your class.
>>
Rolled 12, 7, 8, 9, 9, 15 = 60 (6d20)

>>54312249
We got it already, famalam. Now it's officially stat-rolling time.
Witness truth.
>>
Rolled 14, 11, 10, 9, 10, 11 = 65 (6d20)

>>54312267
Here is the truth you wished to see
>>
>>54312094
You can only cast two cantrips for [Your level/2 rounded down] turns. At level 6, that's for three turns. However, twinned spell costs only 1 point instead, I suppose, so that's 6 turns instead. Still hardly an entire adventuring day. And if you twin a spell, you're doing, what, Xd10 to two different enemies?

Your firebolt does 2d10. So with a resource you can do 2d10 to two different enemies. And this is considering sorcerers don't get a lot of non-combat benefits like wizards and their rituals.
A fighter at range is doing 3d6+39 damage at-will at that point. With no resources. Even more if they spend resources.
>>
>>54312293
Shit
>>
>>54312267
>>54312293
Noob question
How do I roll
>>
Rolled 4, 11, 3, 19, 12, 20 = 69 (6d20)

>>54312293
That's a good example of a /fit/izen.
Watch these 20s
>>
>>54312293
You're a normal dude who happens to frequent the gym
>>
Rolled 8, 17, 11, 17, 1, 16 = 70 (6d20)

Kneel before your Valor Bard overlord
>>
Rolled 11, 18, 15, 16, 8, 13 = 81 (6d20)

>>54312324
"dice+xdy" without quotes in the options field
You'd know if you READ THE FUCKING STICKY :^)
>>
>>54312324
>return to thread listing
>oh hey, there's a stickied OP
>>
>>54312351
Dat one tho
>>
>>54312258
are you upset or something?
>>
>>54312351
enough cha to swing your dick around, not enough wis to keep it out of danger, yep you're a bard alright.
>>
Rolled 13, 16, 19, 11, 12, 20 = 91 (6d20)

What's with all the shitty CON scores today?
Behold, a true immortal.
>>
>>54312306
You must not play Sorcerer or you would know that you can sacrifice spell slots and get sorcery points equal to the spell's level. At that point you're trading your spellcasting utility to focus on consistent damage, but that's kind of the point of the build.
>>
>>54312324
If you look at the catalog, the stickied thread will give you instructions.

>>54312351
1 WIS works
>>
File: Ainsley the oil is ready.gif (2MB, 300x257px) Image search: [Google]
Ainsley the oil is ready.gif
2MB, 300x257px
>>54312366
>>
File: 1428160320741.jpg (21KB, 288x284px) Image search: [Google]
1428160320741.jpg
21KB, 288x284px
>>54312366
nice
>>
Rolled 6, 4, 18, 11, 15, 18 = 72 (6d20)

>>54312335
Lore Bard with a nasty sickness

>>54312351
That's the kind of bard the lays dragons.

>>54312352
Pretty good whizzard or ek

>>54312366
Nice stats with doubles to boot. An immortal all right.
>>
>>54312368
>Turn all your spells into sorcery points
>Cast two cantrips a turn all day
>You literally have less interesting features now than a fighter and the fighter is still doing more at-will damage than you

Maybe you shouldn't throw away your only decent feature for something shit?
>>
>>54312362
No? What gave you that impression?
>>
>>54312368
>>54312306
Also, when I said the build is competitive with sharpshooter fighters, I meant going the whole nine yards with Agonizing Blast and Hex.
>>
>>54312404
But can a fighter keep a 7th level spell in their back pocket if they really need it
>>
>>54312413
Oh, I missed the whole 'multiclass for warlock' thing because the original subject was a sorcerer, not a sorlock.
Yes, you probably should go sorlock if you can as a sorcerer. But that's not how it's intended to be done and only a few sorcerers will actually do that.

The damage is still only about 66% of a fighter's. You have to make good use of repelling blast in order to make up the difference.
>>
>>54312434
A wizard can keep two level 8 spells at that point in their back pocket and ensure the enemy fails their save.

You don't need to do damage when you can end the encounter before it starts.
>>
new thread

>>54312481
>>54312481
>>54312481
>>
>>54310186
On that note, if a Small creature had a sufficiently high Strength score, would you allow them to wield a Heavy weapon they were proficient in without penalty? Or would you rule it being too unwieldy regardless of strength?
>>
>>54312786
I'd allow it for melee weapons, but not for ranged weapons.
If they're using STR for their attacks as a small creature, they deliberately gave up the +2 racial they could have had for that. That's drawback and payment enough in my mind.
>>
>>54310337
I've always wanted a golf caddie following me around with a bag of different weapons.
Thread posts: 397
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.