[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General - Everyone Apparently Bans Dragonborn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 375
Thread images: 53

File: th.jpg (12KB, 304x205px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
12KB, 304x205px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54294404

Do you (or your DM) allow all UA, some UA, or no UA at all?
(Revised ranger doesn't count)
>>
>>54300985
>Do you (or your DM) allow all UA, some UA, or no UA at all?

I take it on a case by case basis based on the campaign and the character concept a player presents to me, but I tell my players not to EXPECT that they'll be allowed and to have a plan for a PHB race/class/whatever if their UA idea doesn't fit with the game.

Mystic is always banned in all it's forms because fuck the psychic-pokemon "create an anime character" class.
>>
>>54300985
I do not allow any UA. I prefer core only with some restrictions.

>Everyone Apparently Bans Dragonborn Edition
I don't see why. Dragonborn are cool dudes, and they're not even a particularly powerful race. Setting reasons I guess.
>>
>>54300985
o shit they deleted the mega.nz folder
>>
>>54301134
>Setting reasons I guess.
If you read the last thread, that's pretty much it.

>>54301126
Do you allow revised ranger? (The most recent one, not the one with fucking Ambuscade)
>>
Here's a question, how would you build a Dex Paladin who refuses to wear armor, but have it still be a viable build?

Substituting the the Barbarian's Unarmored Defense for armor proficiency would be the ideal solution.
>DM vetoed it and I don't want to push it
So that leaves me with 3 options, all including take a lvl or 2 before paladin.
>1 lvl in barb for Unarmored defense
>1 lvl in monk, same as above
>2 lvls in warlock (hexblade) for the armor of shadows invocation
Am I missing anything?
>>
Are there any that you shouldn't allow in their current state?
>>
>>54301192
>Mystic
>Theurge
>Mystic
>Lore Wizard
>Mystic
>Mearl's Initiative Revisited
>Mystic

That about covers it.
>>
>>54300985
I don't allow any UA content. Books only in my game. That includes the UA Ranger which is crazy overpowered especially in any Wilderness campaign.

I've played games with two players and they've loved playing their rangers , who have been highly effective members of the party.

Sadly wotc listens to white box forum whingers who likely don't even play D&D but instead just play out pretend fights on forums. Remember that 4E came into existence because of those very whingers and wotc created a game made up of fixes for things everybody on the forums who had never really played D&D hated about D&D and took out everything people happily playing, so not having enough time to complain on forums about non-existent problems like martial/caster imbalance in a co-op game, loved about D&D.

That game wasn't D&D at all but some weird heroic tactical miniature game and mostly attracted video game kiddies, and turned all the real fans who actually still wanted to play D&D away to Pathfinder for better or worse.

So think about that the next time you use UA content especially the broken ranger.
>>
>>54301210
Why exactly is the new ranger broken? It looks like a ranger that's not worthless, but nowhere near as broken as some other existing classes *coughWizardscough*
>>
>>54301210
interesting post
>>
>>54300985
My policy on UA is "you have to ask me first so I can double check it for stupid brokenness, but generally I'll say yes."
>>
>>54301134
>do not allow any UA
What about fixes like the revised ranger?
>some restrictions
Such as?

>>54301210
Comparing 4e to UA is completely moronic. The exact problem with 4e was a complete lack of transparency/playtesting, whilst UA is part of the philosophy that letting players see the content before it's released might be a good idea.
>>
>>54300985
>UA

depends on the campaign Im running. Serious campaigns with a strict setting, I'll need to go case by case, and might disallow most. However, Im also running a more light-hearted one-session campaign where people jump in and out, and in that game anything except for UA multiclassing
>>
>>54301191
Oath of Redemption from the Trio of Subclasses UA. No armor or shield, but 16+Dex AC
>>
currently running SKT.

how would you guys recommend tying in Imyrith and Slarkrethel and dropping hints early on so that they dont just pop up as deus ex machina? That seems to be my only remaining problem with the story as a whole. I definitely want to increase Slarkrethel and the cult of the kraken's role because my warlock has a 'mystery patron' which is actually going to end up being Slarkrethel.
>>
OK guys half elf (2) rouge 1 (4) lore bard 4 (4) knowledge cleric 1 (2) ranger 1 (1) + 2 skill proficiency's from background and 3 from the skilled feat= 18 skill proficiency's which is proficiency in every skill using only PHB stuff.

How quickly should i kill myself?
>>
>>54300985

I allow my players (actually encourage them) to build the most powerful character they can. If a players goes for a less optimized character for roleplaying purposes, then I reward them with better gear and inspiration pts. So either way, everyone ends up being equal (ish), but my players know my games are 50/50 combat/rp.
>>
File: Scholar.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Scholar.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
Okay, so for some reason I've decided that I want to create or adapt low-magic versions of most of the D&D classes. Basically this means no spells at all. Problem: Wizard.

Solution: the 3rd party game Adventures in Middle Earth seems to have done a lot of the legwork on that front already: the Scholar class is directly inspired by Gandalf, Radagast, and so on.

Now, the Scholar as presented in Adventures in Middle-Earth is very much tied into the setting's distinct mechanics (Shadow, corruption, lore, etc). So this is an attempt to divorce it from that.

The problem is that it's perhaps kind of too tied into asking the DM for permission, but I wasn't sure how else to show low-key "magic".

Anyway, what do you think?
>>
File: 40537447_p0.jpg (218KB, 550x777px) Image search: [Google]
40537447_p0.jpg
218KB, 550x777px
>>54301268
>Having to get skill proficiencies and roll to bypass obstacles
>Not just playing a wizard and having a spell for every obstacle in the game
>>
>>54301206
>>Mystic
Not even after the revisions?
>>
>>54301264
What I'm doing is to reveal the Hekaton plotline earlier. That way the players know that someone named Iymrith is messing with the court, and you can start dripping hints that strange cultists were seen on the island where the Queen was killed. They may not be able to investigate right away, but you can start the plot flowing.
>>
>>54301268

Just wait for something to kill you.

You're a level 7 character who's highest class level is 4, that seems like it wouldn't survive combat encounters very well.
>>
>>54301206
>Lore Wizard

So much this. It is baffling how absolutely out of whack the powerlevel of that class compared to any other wizard variant is.
>>
>>54301329 >>54301264
Don't forget that it should be revealed...IN SONG!

Seriously I'm going t make STK: The Musical happen.
>>
File: Bitch no.gif (493KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Bitch no.gif
493KB, 320x240px
>>54301322
Reminder that Mystic is written so poorly that their claw attack has no action cost listed and is basically a free action RAW, letting you attack as many times as you have Psi-points to spend, their darkness "spell" has no duration listed and RAW lasts forever, their charm person doesn't alert the target even on a passed save, and about half the of their other abilities also apply secondary effects on passed saves. Also Psionic disciplines are specifically not spells, don't require components of any kind (meaning you can't disable a conscious mystic in any way), can't be counter-spelled or dispelled, and ignore all abilities relating to magic defense.

Mystics are fucking cancer.
And that's not even counting how half their shit reads like someone trying to shove their super original shonen anime character into DnD.
>>
>>54301279
>Okay, so for some reason I've decided that I want to create or adapt low-magic versions of most of the D&D classes.

for what purpose
>>
A character dies in your campaign, for one reason or another there's no way to resurrect him, do you.

>Make him re-roll at the same level
>Make him re-roll at level 1
>Make him re-roll at the same level but with penalties as if he'd been ressurected
>Make him re-roll at his last level but with any XP reset.
>Another option?

Also if you let players re-roll at the same.level how do you stop a player playing a fighter at the early levels to level up safely and easily then suiciding at an appropriate moment and re-rolling some high level wizard?
>>
>>54301405

Yup and me and my wished up Simulacrum army have no place in our games for op shit like that which caps out the second you hit double digit levels
>>
File: Loremaster Wizard.png (638KB, 586x588px) Image search: [Google]
Loremaster Wizard.png
638KB, 586x588px
>>54301343
Lets be real, Lore Wizard was just Wizards of the Coast letting the smart wizard players know that Sorcerers are still for mentally inferior plebians who actually care about things like "fun" and "roleplaying". It's no coincidence that right after the Sorcerer UA dropped, we get a Wizard UA that includes a wizard with even better Meta-Magic than the sorcerer.
>>
File: Settings.jpg (517KB, 1212x787px) Image search: [Google]
Settings.jpg
517KB, 1212x787px
So, Wizards of the Coast set the new adventure in Chult because people are sick of the Sword Coast. Eventually, they're going to move onto other settings entirely.

So I have two questions.

1: Which setting do you want them to bring back first?
2: Which setting do you think they're most likely to bring back first?
>>
>>54301322
ESPECIALLY after the revisions.

>>54301432
Re-roll at the same level, and since I use milestones like civilized people, nothing else is required.
>>
File: 4ac.jpg (87KB, 621x621px) Image search: [Google]
4ac.jpg
87KB, 621x621px
>>54301454
>since I use milestones
>>
>>54301437
.Another class is overpowered, so the overpowered class you're talking about it totally balanced and OK.

Even if this is bait, you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>54301442
Did you know that wizards are also the superior clerics, because they are INTELLIGENT?
>>
>>54301242
>Such as?
Certain race and class restrictions, alignment restrictions, and certain optional rules omitted.
>>
>>54300985
UA is carefully allowed under condition i can tweak/nerf/ban them any time.

Dragonborns are still better core race than gnomes or tieflings, frankly, but i am still rather... unexcited about them.
>>
>>54301431
I dunno, 'cause I want to? It's why I made a Beastmaster class.

>>54301432
Re-roll a new character with an amount of experience equal to the average experience of the surviving party members.

>>54301443
1. Spelljammer
2. Eberron, in order to show off their Mystic class once they get it up-and-running fully.
>>
>>54301437
>>54301405
Copy-pasting this meme:

Just off the top of my head:

1. Simplicity. Psionics adds an entirely new, parallel set of magic to the system that all of 5e has used to date. Any players or DM that wants to use psionics has to learn an entirely new set of "spells", "casting" rules, and interactions with existing rules.

2. The new interactions conflict with (nerf) the existing balance/usefulness of several parts of the game including spells (Counterspell), at least one feat (Mage Slayer), and every rule or feature that triggers or interacts with "spells" (since Psionics is explicitly not spellcasting). This steps on the toes of those races, abilities, classes, and feats that interact with magic or the existing spellcasting system.

3. Expanding on 2, lack of interactivity. 5e combat (and even social encounters to a degree) are inherently about altering your behavior as a reaction to the the environment, the NPCs, and your party. Before Psionics, when a magic user tried to alter a social or combat situation with magic, everybody present had a chance to see it and could act accordingly. The only exception to this rule was a sorcerer investing build resources and class resource to Subtly cast a spell (and even in that case they still have to be touching a focus). Psionics gets to completely bypass this pillar of the game for free- no investment required. Every discipline or talent a Mystic uses gives no indication it is about to occur, no way to prevent it from being "cast", and little indication of who or what caused it. This near-immunity moves the game away from interactivity to a space where Mystics simply get to do magic while others must always try to cast

Chickn
>>
>>54300985
Dragonborn's art from 4e was great
>>
>>54301454
>milestones

That's fucking disgusting, dude. This is a blue board.
>>
>>54301329
yeah, i am actually thinking of doing something similar. the party is doing the quest from lifferlas from goldenfields and they are going to seek a druid in the high forest. i think i am going to have him do some scrying and have some info on what is going on. i feel like introducing hekaton and neri can be done by the oracle, but rumblings of a spooky secret society and an evil dragon should be introduced somehow beforehand.
>>
>>54301443
1. SPELLJAMMER
2. umm.... probably not spelljammer
>>
>>54301471
>>54301534

Do people really not care for milestone level-ups?
>>
>>54301476

Or if you were not a crack baby with severe autism you might be able to interpret the message.ystic is fine and doesn't break the game especially compared to most other core classes particularly at higher levels where they get jack shit. The wording problems may need to be cleaned up but really only for subhuman things such as you that aren't smart enough to figure out that the charm person ability works like charm person without it being spelled out word for word

Begin screeching below
>>
How much does the alternate initiative UA fuck casters with that "you can only cast a cantrip if you're hit before your turn" thing?

Sounds kind of neat.
>>
>>54301192
Revised Ranger, it's OP
>>
>>54301565
Nah, it's just shitposting (probably from the same guy). Nobody fucking used exp anymore, especially given how it only encourages murderhoboing. Milestones are pretty much the norm around here. Gronards need not supply their input.
>>
>>54301454
>milestones
>>
File: 2 out 10 got me to reply.jpg (15KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
2 out 10 got me to reply.jpg
15KB, 272x185px
>>54301571
>>
>>54301571
>Mystic doesn't break the game.

Oh god, you're one of those people who's super attached to the idea of playing an anime character, huh? I have never encountered anyone who's bitched about mystics being banned who WASN'T a complete weeaboo.
>>
>>54301565
In all seriousness, yes, I strongly dislike them, due to how innately arbitrary they are.
>>
>>54301514
You never have to justify not using optional rules, but what race/class restrictions do you have? More importantly, why?
As far as alignment, do you just mean the typical "no evil"?

>>54301521
Surely you mean "artificer."
>>
File: 1413114047373.jpg (74KB, 763x736px) Image search: [Google]
1413114047373.jpg
74KB, 763x736px
why is everyone on this board so ass blasted about milestones right now? I use it because it stops your players from asking how much xp they got every 2 seconds, it discourages murder-hoboing, and it gets the players minds off of xp and more into the story. they become more concerned with solving the story than running around killing everything.
>>
>>54300985

So the trove's collection of maps for SKT are incomplete. Is there anywhere else I can get those maps? (Aside from purchasing them?)
>>
>>54301210
>Remember that 4E came into existence because of those very whingers and wotc created a game made up of fixes for things everybody on the forums who had never really played D&D hated about D&D and took out everything people happily playing
t. someone who never played 4e. Ironic, isn't it?
>>
>>54301635
Well, both psionics and artificing are a big thing in Eberron, and those are the two full classes that they've made, so Eberron seems pretty likely.
>>
>>54301639
It's just people memeing about how anything geared toward "narrative" play is verboten.
>>
>>54301632

Yet you say this shit on a Taiwanese Drag show message board

While at the same time ignoring any actual relevant point. Lemme guess your are one of the dumb fucks that also complained about the Gunsmith being OP too right?
>>
>>54301565
I've used milestones since the days of 3.5. Less book-keeping and less incentive for players to murder everything.

EXP was a fucking nightmare, people gamed the system, forced constant adjustments to encounters when players levelled up and became stronger quicker than I anticipated, and generally served no purpose except giving players a videogamey "score" to wank over.

>>54301686
This. And grognards who think it's "railroading" if they can't kill their way into over-levelling the campaign arcs.
>>
>>54301639
Yeah, but...it's just so God-damned arbitrary. It also means that I can't hand out XP rewards for roleplaying or resolving problems with things other than combat, or completing quests, or whatnot.

>>54301686
I'm not memeing, I'm being totally serious. I hate milestone leveling.
>>
File: 1426054352863.jpg (47KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
1426054352863.jpg
47KB, 704x480px
>>54301730
If you're just going to hand out exp over whimsy impulses like "roleplaying", how is that any different than milestones?
>>
>>54301730
its actually the complete opposite of arbitrary. you use it to level the party when they hit a specific point, and no earlier, no later.
>>
Is a wujen/wizard multiclass as ridiculously broken as I think it is?
>>
>>54301206
>>54301343
>>54301442
Am I the only one that believes the Lore Master Wizard isn't really that bad? Lucky Diviner, that's real cheese.

>Have to wait till Lvl2 before being able to subout damage type
>Can only change save once per short rest
>Have to wait till lvl6 before getting inferior to sorcerer metamagic
>Wait till lvl10 to hotswap one spell per short rest
>>
>>54301720
>grognards who think it's "railroading" if they can't kill their way into over-levelling the campaign arcs.
For grogs xp=gold
>>
>>54301730
Xp rewards for roleplaying are counter-productive. All they do is give the players who already hog the spotlight an incentive to do it even more, and the less loud or less interested players get setbacks from which it's hard to overcome.
>>
>>54301730
"Our party is gonna go out into the woods and kill boars until we're level 20."

is somehow less arbitrary than

"Hey guys, you finished your first real quest, great roleplaying and fights all around, I think that calls for everyone gaining a level."
>>
>>54301210
"real d&d fans" don't play 3.pf
>>
>>54301405
Mystic could be an OK class if someone put a leash on Mearls, actually spellchecked his work, and balanced the "cool" ideas against existing content.

But yeah, in it's current form, Mystic doesn't belong in the game. I'd say I;m hoping Version 4 gets it right, but after 3 failed versions already, maybe it's just better if they let the idea die, or at least give it break for awhile.
>>
>>54301730
>It also means that I can't hand out XP rewards for roleplaying or resolving problems
dude, there's handful of other ways to reward players, Inspiration, Boons, loot, personal favors from NPCs, helpful companions, powerful familiars, a base of operations, etc.
>>
>>54301746 >>54301753
>you use it to level the party when they hit a specific point

Yeah, but regardless of what happened in order to get there. The players could fail their way through the leg of the campaign, or succeed beyond their wildest dreams, and in either case the "reward" is the same.

Like, for example, in one 3.PF campaign I ran the players were supposed to go to a marsh and recruit the wild elves that lived there to help them defend a city that was going to come under attack by a massive army of goblinoids.

The players:
- Directly insulted the wild elves, to their faces.
- Failed to do any of the "side quests" (save the chieftain's son, for example)
- Failed to kill the black dragon that had been tormenting them (the "big thing" that they had to do in order to get the wild elves' aid) (I will grant that this was *initially* rigged as the black was a Xorvintaal dragon who had the come-back-to-life ability, but the players failed to kill it dead in the rematch, too)
- Failed to kill the black dragon's goblin rider who was a leader in the goblinoid army.

The one thing they were able to do was destroy a number of eggs for greenspawn razorfiends that were going to part of the army. That wasn't enough, and the wild elves told the players to fuck off and refused to help the city.

If I used milestone leveling, the players should have nevertheless gained a level even though they nearly completely fucked up this part of the story.

Players should not be rewarded for fucking up.
>>
>>54301443
1. Eberron, just to get it over with
2. Eberron, because it's terrible.
>>
So, the tomb of horrors is now in chult?
>>
>>54300985
For me, all UA is allowed under the assumption that UA can be buffed or nerfed at any point in time.
My only exception, of course, is Lore Master. Mystic and Theurge can be worked around by simply asking my players to not be dickholes (aka Powergaming). You can't not be a dickkhole with Loremaster, it's baked into the archetype.
>>
File: blink wooly mammoths.jpg (316KB, 798x786px) Image search: [Google]
blink wooly mammoths.jpg
316KB, 798x786px
>>54300985
Depends.hta
Some UA, after FAQ, can be useful to portray archetypes that otherwise require interesting logical contortions to be viable (e.g. the unarmored non-shield-using frontline melee weapon user is replete in mythology and stories, if somewhat non-historical, but is a quite poor choice in core). So... maybe. Sometimes.

UA feats is a crock of shit that reveals such a misunderstanding of how arms worked that I wonder if the (very slight) improvement in historicity between 3.x/4e and 5e's equipment tables was unintentional.
>>
>>54301800
>"Our party is gonna go out into the woods and kill boars until we're level 20."
No good DM would allow that. At least, not without serious consequences. You shouldn't treat your game too much like a video game where you/your players can fuck off on pointless sidequests forever while the antagonist just twiddles his thumbs and does nothing.
>>
File: Crash and burn.jpg (600KB, 900x1221px) Image search: [Google]
Crash and burn.jpg
600KB, 900x1221px
>>54301910
>The players could fail their way through the leg of the campaign, or succeed beyond their wildest dreams, and in either case the "reward" is the same.

I mean... I guess, if you're running a pre-written module straight from the book with no DM control at all. Otherwise a party that fucks up might reach that milestone, but they'll reach it poor, almost dead, having multiple enemies along the way, and generally in rough shape.

Meanwhile a party that plays well will all be healthy with no serious/permanent injuries, have allies who owe them favors, some good loot, and generally be in a good place to continue with the next part of the adventure. Level is not the only guage of "success" in an RP.
>>
>>54301910
I feel even bad experience is experience and you can always learn from your failures.
Sure, characters don't deserve reward in game, but why not players? Are your players playing to "win" the game? That is not necessarily bad, mind you. I would prefer game that isn't so "task oriented", though.
>>
>>54301930
No, the Tomb of Annihilation is.
>>
>>54301910
>If I used milestone leveling, the players should have nevertheless gained a level even though they nearly completely fucked up this part of the story.
uh...no? Milestone isn't just "Yay you got to [AREA] you level up!" It's "You've completed this arc of the storyline, you level up!"
If they didn't complete the arc, they don't level up.
>>
>>54301969
Well fuck, whats the difference?
>>
>>54301975
one is scary, the other annihilates.
>>
>>54301975
I guess we'll find out two months from now. I'd imagine that ToA is a little more fleshed out with characters, etc. and not just trap after trap after trap.
>>
>>54301730
>It also means that I can't hand out XP rewards for roleplaying or resolving problems with things other than combat, or completing quests, or whatnot.
No, it means you don't HAVE TO do these things. The only motivation players have is completing the quest, whether or not it invovles fighting.
>>
>>54301987
>>54301993
But whats acererak got to do with it
>>
There is no "better" way to reward xp for players, it depends entirely on what kind you want, as xp acts as an incentive for players
>>
>>54301975
>>54302013

The Tomb of Horrors was Acererak's final resting place, a place where he wanted to be left alone for all eternity so that his soul might wander the planes for all time. The Tomb of Annihilation was built after the Tomb of Horrors, as a sort of response to those that enter his tomb and disturb his rest. All he needed to do was to consume the soul of just one adventurer to return to his former power.The Tomb of Annihilation is built to house the Soulmonger, a necromantic device that prevents the dead from coming back.
>>
>>54301965
>but why not players?

Because PLAYERS SHOULD NOT BE REWARDED FOR FUCKING UP. I didn't say characters, I said "players".

>Are your players playing to "win" the game?

It's not about winning or losing. It's about not rewarding players for their bad or stupid decisions.
>>
>>54301522
>1. Simplicity. Psionics adds an entirely new, parallel set of magic to the system that all of 5e has used to date.
don't play with brainlets that can't handle literally one page of rules on how they work.

>The new interactions conflict with (nerf) the existing balance/usefulness of several parts of the game
Psionics and spells have had overlap where anti magic abilities work on them as an assumed rule since 3.0. It specifically says that psionics is not spellcasting, but it also explicit says it's "a special form of MAGIC", which implies that it's an alternate route to the same vauge ability, kinda like how pact magic or runes is distinct from actual spellcasting proper. I suppose that because of a lack of writing due to playtest it's not spelt out 100% that this is their intention, but if you play any version of D&D 100% RAW then you're a moron.

>lack of interactivity
Except as a counter to this psionic powers have a shitload more limitations than spells in either range, casting time or resources used and many of them don't scale at all

The only things the mystic needs is less disciplines they can obtain and some tweaking of numbers/writing on some of the specific abilities. The concept itself is fine
>>
>>54301910
>>54301910
there are way too many things wrong with this. you are making milestone xp be arbitrary to fit your argument. it isnt 'the players will level up after they complete their next quest, regardless of the outcome'. in a situation like the one you described, a suitable milestone could be something like 'the players will level up once they recruit an ally, or they have no alternative but to fight the goblin army'. this gives the players other options, and makes the milestone meaningful.

also, this just sounds like a bad game on both sides of the table. your group clearly fucked everything up beyond repair which is a problem both in their play and your dming.
>>
>>54301965
>>54302025
This. Depending on the type of game you're running, failure can be just as interesting as success.
>>
>>54302013
What's Acererak got to do, got to do with it?
>>
>>54302030
Surely there are less passive-aggressive ways to deal with stupid players than EXP-throttling?
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
>>54301910
You want XP to work as a "reward," a kind of classical conditioning, but XP doesn't work well in that capacity at all. There are a few reasons for this:

First, there's a long delay between the behavior and the reward. At the very least the players get XP at the end of the session so there's an hours-long delay. Often the DM calculates XP in between game sessions, because that's a lot of math to do right at the end of game night when everyone wants to go home, and so the delay is a week long or more. Anyone who's trained an animal knows that you have to catch the behavior right away and not try to do the training hours or days after the critical teachable moment.

Second, there's often not a clear connection between the behavior and the reward. The DM's expectations are often unclear, potential sidequests are poorly explained and not effectively communicated, and in any case the DM's judgment of what counts as good roleplaying is hopelessly subjective. Players will be rewarded (or not) without really knowing why.

Third, the players' interest in the reward is unreliable and often correlated to how likely they are to do the desired behavior anyway without training. The best reward is the kind that the target is going to be very interested in no matter what, and that's harder to figure out when the target is a human and can't just be thrown a treat. If there's a player who doesn't like to speak up and just enjoys spending time with friends, or if there's a player who simply doesn't take the game too seriously, the difference of a few hundred XP will not matter to them one way or the other. The reward of XP is not an effective motivator for these kinds of players, and these kinds of players are the ones you're trying to train to be different.

If you're going to treat your players like dogs, at least do it right.
>>
>>54302030
sounds like you are playing against your players instead of playing with them. chill out and have some fun for fucks sake.
>>
What would you play in game with no optional rules (MC, feats, Vhuman...) and splats/UA?
>>
>>54302078
>>54302105
You know, I have to agree with him. Rewarding players for making stupid decisions only encourages them to continue to do so, rather than helping them integrate their characters into the shared experience.

I mean, I probably wouldn't be so black-and-white with the rewards as in "do x to get x amount of XP", and leave it more flexible than that, but if the players are clearly going off the rails and still expect to be rewarded for monstrously stupid behavior, that's another story.
>>
How exactly does crossbow master work? Can I have a sword in one hand and a crossbow in another and still reload?
>>
>>54302124
chalelagh paladin/warlock
>>
>>54302078
When did it become passive-aggressive? Forty years D&D has run on the idea of "when you accomplish stuff, you get experience for it. If you don't accomplish shit, you don't get shit."

This is a known fact going into D&D. The benefit to XP is that it allows you to be more granular in rewarding players for accomplishing stuff. Oh, which reminds me...

>>54301800
I'm not actually a huge fan of how 5e handles experience, where everything is always worth the same XP. I preferred 3e, where as players gained levels the same things gave out less XP, and eventually no XP - you only got XP if you were meaningfully challenged by an encounter.
>>
>>54302152
No. The best way to use it is to have a hand crossbow in one hand and nothing in the other, maybe a shield if the DM lets you get away with it, or perhaps to use a heavy crossbow and ignore the hand crossbow part entirely.
>>
>>54302162
>paladin/warlock
Multiclassing is an optional rule anon
>>
>>54302162
>chalelagh
??????

>paladin/warlock
He explicitly said no multiclassing
>>
>>54302163
>all that shit
and that ladies and gents is why milestones are superior.
>>
>>54302186
Thereis no superior way
>>
>>54301191
Magic Initiate letting you put on Mage Armor for 8 hours per day
>>
>>54302168
>heavy crossbow and ignore the hand crossbow part entirely.
Because of the same retarded ruling that prevents you from going akimbo (you need a completely free hand to reload the thing fast enough because FUCK martials), you can't actually benefit from CBM with a heavy crossbow because it takes two hands to hold and thus you don't have a free hand to reload fast enough
>>
>>54302025
Thank you for being the only reasonable person in this shit fucking thread. XP provides a real, tangible measurement of progression that is a DIRECT result of players' actions, and as such can be used to incentivize certain styles of play (combat, exploration, discovery, etc). Milestones make it so that progression isn't the direct result of player's actions but instead emphasizes reaching certain story goals. It directly ties player progression to story progression. Neither is necessarily better than the other, what matters is that you use whichever one is correct for the type of game YOU and YOUR PLAYERS want to play.
>>
>>54302147
you can also just be a grown adult and say 'hey guys you are doing a lot of stupid shit. what direction do you want this game to go in' and then tailor the experience to what they want. you will either make them realize they are being idiots, or you will realize you arent giving them what they want, and you can adjust your game.

milestone xp or no, this entire argument is awful because of the amount of 'dm fighting vs players' going on.
>>
>>54301191
>Am I missing anything?
Dragon sorcerer 1 gives you 13+dex at all times and makes you way less MAD than any of those options besides warlock.
>>
>>54302256
If you have a two-handed weapon, you only have to hold it with two hands for the attack itself. So, since the reloading is in a time before/after the attack, you take a hand off to reload it.

You can't go akimbo because that would be stupid.
>>
>>54302124
Dragonborn Battlemaster Fighter, choosing the more "warlord"-y manuevers.
>>
>>54302258
>entire argument is awful
True enough, though most such arguments are. That being said, I certainly would not tailor an experience to players that are actively not invested in their own story or are otherwise being actively stupid (however you want to describe it). Else, what's the point of sitting around with a bunch of people in the first place? For companionship? That would be silly.
>>
>>54302258
In what way is it DM fighting players? You sound like you think that a player character is for some reason entitled to level up.
>>
>>54301776
>Have to wait till Lvl2
How short is your attention span if this genuinely seems like a decent argument to you? Keep in mind you get INT instead of DEX to initiative as well as Expertise in INT skills if you're proficient with them, which is icing on the cake for the level 2.

>save change once per SR
Doesn't matter since you're most likely going to be applying it to the same spells anyways. Like Hold Person > STR ST instead of WIS. Keep in mind that most spells are already considered "strong" enough in their baseline iteration and you just get an even more useful feature.

>inferior metamagic
Considering there are like 2 viable metamagic options that let you either double-cast haste on 2 martials or let you machine-gun eldritch blasts if you dip Warlock, being able to add 2 to any save DC is fucking dope. Not to mention 2d10 force damage on everyone makes Magic Missile or Scorching Ray pretty damn good.

>waiting until level X to get feature
This isn't an argument. Compare the features you get in other archetypes to this one and you'll see that this shit is very strong.
>>
>>54302290
>You can't go akimbo because that would be stupid.
It's not any more stupid than loading and firing accurately with a heavy crossbow four times in under six seconds with my level 11 fighter.

Unless you mean stupid like it's unbalanced, in which case it's just TWF that does slightly more or less damage depending on your build and doesn't get the AC from the feat so I'm gonna have to disagree
>>
>>54302256
If you don't see a difference between reloading a rifle and reloading two pistols at the same time up to nine times a second, I don't know what to tell you. I'm sorry you were born with that disability.
>>
>>54302385
Hey guys, how can we homebrew Wizards to be more like 2e, in that they didn't get access to every school of magic?
>>
File: 1499380446210.png (185KB, 1139x291px) Image search: [Google]
1499380446210.png
185KB, 1139x291px
>>54302351
Going back to my example, the players were invested in the story - they just for some reason managed to fuck up every aspect of the wild elf section of the campaign through their own dumbass choices. I have a very strict rule for DMing: "The player characters are the stars of the show, but the world is bigger than they are and does not revolve around them."

AKA, the Gay Marriage approach to DMing. The players are free to do their own thing and approach the world in whatever way they want, but there's stuff happening in the world, and they might want to make sure they have their priorities in order.
>>
>>54302359
He's referring to the people suggesting that EXP can be effectively used as a means of Pavlovian conditioning. >>54302101 already explained in detail why that's a bad idea.
>>
How good is draconic sorcerer? How much would I benefict from multiclassing if all I want to do is blast fireballs?
>>
>>54302168
>>54302290
>>54302385
The bonus attack can specifically only be used with "a one handed weapon", which is a stupid rules lawyer as fuck way to write that which means that, combined with the errata about needing a free hand to reload, means that the only benefit of crossbow master is using a hand crossbow to shoot a bunch of times in one round because that will pretty much always do more damage than the heavy bow would shooting without the bonus action.

It's a retarded as fuck chain of rules that exists entirely to make lots of options and concepts pointless and the whole thing doesn't have any ground to stand on when it comes to "realism" or whatever the fuck the guy ranting about guns is doing because it involves loading a crossbow about a 10th or 20th of the time it would take "in real life"
>>
>>54302385
I mean, once you use real world analogues, everything falls apart.
>why are all the weapons and armor in chapter 5 so heavy? Are they buying them from WoW?
>where are the rules for half-swording?
>In what universe is studded leather a viable thing (as opposed to brigandine)?
>why do axes not get special bonuses against mail?
>Why does the PHB insist that the Maul is a weapon?

It's rules-lawyering. Stupid rules-lawyering at that, but rules-lawyering nonetheless.
>>
>>54302424
A shared list of general utility spells from all schools of magic, I.E the floating Disks, rope tricks, thunderwaves and shield spells, then restrict the spells not on that list to wizards that are a member of that spell's school. If I play as an Evocation Wizard, I get fireball but lose counterspell. If I play an abjurer, I get Counterspell but lose Polymorph. Wizard players have to diversify their character from the beginning to commit to a specific build of spells that gives them a central unity instead of "take all the best spells" like every other caster does.
>>
>>54302424
But that's bullshit, wizards in 2e got access to every school of magic unless they specialized. And even then they usually only lost one school.
>>
>>54302565
>Only get spells from a single school
u wot m8
>>
>>54302641
But every wizard in 5e specializes. I just want wizards to not all seem the same, you know?
>>
>>54302538
What benefit are you trying to get from holding two hand crossbows at once, anyway? Let's consider a situation where you're playing a hand crossbow expert and your DM is permissive and will let you reload weapons with no free hand. You could do either of the following:

A: You use a single hand crossbow. Make your normal number of attacks plus one more attack as a bonus action. If you have one or more magic hand crossbows, all these attacks are made with your best one. You have a hand free to do some kind of miscellaneous object interaction, or maybe cast a spell or make an unarmed or grab attack as a reaction.

B: You use two hand crossbows. Make your normal number of attacks plus one more attack as a bonus action. One of these attacks must be made with a different hand crossbow than the others, so if you've only got one magic hand crossbow, tough. You have no hands free.

All questions of realism aside, B is a strict downgrade.
>>
>>54302675
>Not playing Loremaster
>>
Folks, I wanna work on my 5e race homebrewing talents, but my network's shot for another couple of days, so I can't start my own thread about it. Anyone want to make some requests?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/List_of_D%26D_PC_Races

I'll even try the older, more complicated stuff from Basic, if people want it. Just name one or more races and I'll see if I can make a decently balanced 5e rendition.
>>
>>54302718
The original post that brought this up was talking about a sword in one hand with a crossbow in another, which has some legit benefits/trade offs compared to just plain dual wielding

You're correct that two hand crossbows is pointless, but that's more because of how shitty and front loaded the feat is
>>
I miss Nahal's Banana Peel.
>>
Thoughts on Celestial Patron Warlock?
>>
the megatrove got removed
>>
Did the fucking trove go down again
>>
File: 1496553678882.jpg (67KB, 456x384px) Image search: [Google]
1496553678882.jpg
67KB, 456x384px
>>54301126
>Mystic is always banned in all it's forms because fuck the psychic-pokemon "create an anime character" class.
>>
>>54302794
Redundant. Just play a cleric.
>>
>>54302842
Marry me.
>>
If the trove is down, anyone got the al adventure giant diplomacy?
>>
>>54301126
>Mystic is always banned in all it's forms because fuck the psychic-pokemon "create an anime character" class.
But I can make a monk that uses it's chi power to teleport between shadows or shoot lasers from my hands?
>>
>>54302675
If it bothers you that much, just say that when a wizard chooses a specialization, they become unable to cast spells from their school's opposition.

In 2nd Edition, this was:
Abjuration: Transmutation and Illusion
Conjuration: Divination and Evocation
Divination: Conjuration
Enchantment: Evocation and Necromancy
Evocation: Enchantment and Conjuration
Illusion: Necromancy, Evocaton, and Abjuration
Necromancy: Illusion and Enchantment
Transmutation: Abjuration and Necromancy
>>
>>54300985
I've trimmed a lot of core shit out (mostly some of the more bullshit spells), added some stuff (again, mostly OKing the less bullshit spells from other books), allowed any UA archetype (but not the Alchemist or Mystic class), defined which races are available down to a handful, and added firearms (not the DMG ones, basically think a somewhat more expensive crossbow with an extra die of damage but can't be affected by things that let you ignore the loading quality).
>>
>>54301210
>That includes the UA Ranger which is crazy overpowered especially in any Wilderness campaign.

I have a UA Ranger in my Out of the Abyss campaign... There's literally no need for anyone else to look for food or water. The UA Ranger finds double the amount they normally would, so the whole "survival horror" aspect of OOTA is gone out the window.
>>
>>54302888
>Add this rule
>Also add that you can only select two other schools from which you can cast
Assuming the above are true, what would be your ideal selection, /tg/?
>>
File: 1425249858984.jpg (26KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
1425249858984.jpg
26KB, 308x308px
>>54302928
You know what else does this? A magic spell called "Create Food and Water".
>>
>>54302941
Evocation three times.
>>
>>54301279
This class seems like it would have absolutely nothing to do aside from being a cryptic asshole that happens to have words of wisdom about every god damn thing. Why would anyone ever play this in a DnD game?
>>
When do you guys expect Amonkhet supplement? And what would you like in it?
>>
>>54302675
And the fact each Wizard Tradition already gives you a bunch of unique stuff, such as meta-divination for the Diviner or safer explosions with the Evoker, plus the old-school Traditions encourage you to focus on that school's spells by making them cheaper and easier to get, doesn't already do that?

You don't need to restrict spell classes. You just need to try and play up your actual Tradition.
>>
>>54302964
I think part of the trade for that is "you're sacrificing a 3rd level spell per day".

That said the ranger finding food doesn't ruin survival horror. He has to go find those resources, all kinds of terrible shit can happen while he's out hunting/gathering, while the party is filling their canteens at that spring he's found, or to the rest of the party while they're waiting for their food to show up.
>>
File: 1425779246247.jpg (30KB, 387x580px) Image search: [Google]
1425779246247.jpg
30KB, 387x580px
>>54302928
>The ranger is ovepowered
OK, I'm willign to hear out your argument
>Because he can find food good
Wow, you just went full retard here. There's a million ways to circumvent this with magic, better ban everyone with goodberry, create food or water, any conjured creatures who can be slain and eaten, or any form of teleporting supplies to themselves. Holy fuck, I can't believe I've been waiting a 100 replies to the whole "why are rangers overpowered" question for THIS brain-damaged shit.
>>
>>54302984
Sounds like Gandalf to me.

In seriousness, I figured this might be a problem. It was meant as a starting point, and I did post it looking for suggestions and advice on how to fix it. Do you have any?
>>
File: 796-7952-29978.png (62KB, 699x704px) Image search: [Google]
796-7952-29978.png
62KB, 699x704px
>>54302964
>A 3rd level spell is the same as a passive ability gained at Level 1.

Are you mentally retarded or just pretending to be?
>>
>>54302973
You're alright. I like you.
>>
There's no 3eg. Is there a place I can download Eberron books from, so I can learn the setting?
>>
File: Goodberry_s-Frozen-Custard.jpg (86KB, 440x267px) Image search: [Google]
Goodberry_s-Frozen-Custard.jpg
86KB, 440x267px
>>54302964
I can do you one better.
>>
>>54302996
It's already out

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-amonkhet-2017-07-05
>>
>>54303043
You know, I'm okay with a character being able to shit on a 3rd level spell by being skilled at their job.
>>
>>54302996
What do you mean, Amonkhet supplement? A Plane Shift: Amonkhet? We got one already: four new races - Aven, with Ibis-headed and Hawk-headed subraces, Amonkhetian Minotaur, Khenra, and Naga, and four new Cleric Domains: Ambition, Strength, Solidarity and Zeal.
>>
>>54301322
There's nothing wrong with Mystic that isn't present in other classes an archetypes, both UA and stock. There's some rules that aren't as clear as they could be, some damage values are out of whack, a few things were made without consideration for how they interact with other effects or abilities, and so on. That's standard.

This violent, seething Mystic hatred does not spring from considerations of balance, as much as the detractors insist. Balance is mutable, and if effect stacking, damage output, or versatility were the real concerns of these posters, it's easily corrected by saying, "Don't use these things together. The damage on this has been adjusted. You get 1-2 fewer disciplines." This is basic homebrew balance stuff and what we should expect any competent DM or table to do with UA. Just look at some of the other stinker archetypes that were put up or even made official in SCAG despite glaring balance problems (usually on the "why the fuck would anyone take this trash" side).

No, they hate Mystic not because of its rules or because it's overpowered, but because they have an autistic dislike of psionics. The existence of anything that isn't pure mythic fantasy taints their precious grog experience. Never mind that psionics has been implemented in D&D just fine in the past, never mind that it was a standard fantasy trope for decades before these babies were even born, never mind that it has historically been shittier than arcane and divine magic; its existence is an affront to them.

So they have to come up with bullshit to try and justify their hate beyond "I don't care for psionics and won't use them in my game," which is a fucking opinion. And because they hate it so much and have never bothered to use it, it's obvious that their justifications are based on theory and the most absurd powergaming possible, not anything that has actually happened at a table they've played at, IF they even have a table and aren't shitposting for the hell of it.
>>
File: calm down princess.png (119KB, 392x366px) Image search: [Google]
calm down princess.png
119KB, 392x366px
>>54303031
>that post wasn't agreeing that Rangers are OP

>that post was literally just an anecdote

Looks like you're the one who went full retard, Anon.
>>
Are skeleton miniatures worth the buy? Should I just buy Nolzur's Unpainted or are they smaller than standard D&D figures? Skeletons are stupidly expensive for a CR 1/4 and I can't justify a purchase of more than $15 if they'll get one or two encounters out of them. Someone post their Nolzur skeletons compared to other standard minis please.
>>
>>54302529
Draconic Sorcerer is cool and good, AC 13+DEX is nice and better than light armor, gives you effectively d8 HP, and their Draconic Affinity gives them greater-than-warlock DPR when quick+normal casting Fire Bolt and also ~18% better Fireballs.

If all you want to do is cast fireballs then don't multiclass away from it, as more Spell Points is good.

2 levels of warlock are nice if you want to do even more damage through Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>54303060
Have you tried googling "eberron handbook pdf free" and literally clicking the first link that comes up?
>>
>>54303074
Let's look at this stale pasta: >>54301522
>Simplicity, wah, you have to learn new shit
It's the same for any spell list, especially those that differ wildly from Wizard. This is not an argument about simplicity or complexity at all, but rather, "I don't want new or more stuff." How can anything else be added if we consider "learning new rules" to be too complex?

But if we were to argue simplicity, the other casters are the ones that should be gotten rid of. Mystic's simpler than all of them.
Tracking disciplines is easier than a bajillion spells. The entirety of a discipline, which you either have or don't, can be printed on an index card, and you'll only have 3-7 of these throughout the standard level of play. You can ignore the second half of those cards until you're higher up in levels. You also don't have to worry about the memorization scheme for your class; do you know all spells and pick X you can cast per day, or is it X spells and prepare Y?. Neither do you futz around with spell slots and heightening or any of that other shit. It's SP, straight from the DMG, same values and all, full stop.

Mystic uses the same spellcasting distance, shape, concentration, and other rules that traditional spellcasters use, but it has far fewer instances of those effects. You could have two Mystics in your party and never have to remember how the fuck cones work or where the point of origin for a 20 foot radius cube is.

Material, somatic, verbal components? Nope. That's a whole bunch of rules we can just forget. And while you could say this is bad for gameplay because it makes Mystics "unstoppable", it's not like the PHB provides a lot of resources for preventing a Wizard from casting; good luck Disarming (using an optional DMG rule) his 30 fucking component pouches. There aren't even rules for binding hands or gagging mouths, so you have to adjudicate them case-by-case. You may as well do that with Mystic.

Interaction? Magic-psionic transparency, DONE.
>>
File: Anime.jpg (43KB, 586x518px) Image search: [Google]
Anime.jpg
43KB, 586x518px
>>54303074
This is why I hate psionics to be honest.
And why people rabidly defend them with walls of autism-text.
>>
>>54303033
The big problem is every feature is a non-combat one. Even if the character concept isn't someone who fights they should have something to offer in a fight, like the rogue mastermind's help as a bonus action or something. More than anything I'd just recommend saving a role like that for an NPC and just picking a non-magic class if you don't want magic in a game
>>
>>54303098
Why did you post the same picture twice
>>
>>54303066
>new Cleric Domains
>new
Anon, I...
>>
>>54302928
>Be whatever
>Outlander background
There, you also don't need food and water. So broken UA Ranger
>>
>>54302746
Just bumping this, because I really want the practice. Want a Cayma? A Half-Gnoll? A Dworg? A Golden Halfling? A Tel-Amhothlan? I'll try my hand at anything I'm requested, as one anon who challenged me to do a 5e Sergal found out.
>>
File: 1449007609876.png (193KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1449007609876.png
193KB, 500x379px
>>54303108
Try not to think about it too hard, you need that Int Score to power your anime disciplines.
>>
>>54303113

Are half-gnolls actually a thing? I've heard of demonic gnolls, but crossbreeding big, mean hyena dudes seems like something even wizards would think twice before attempting.
>>
>>54301126
>he's never seen the original psionic rules
>>
File: feelsgood.jpg (20KB, 329x357px) Image search: [Google]
feelsgood.jpg
20KB, 329x357px
>>54303122
>tfw your Int score is too high to enjoy anime
>>
How to do milestones well

Talk to your players? Have a discussion about what their characters future goals are and make it a level appropriate challenge to achieve.

Make it so that every pc has a party goal that in some way benefits the group. Then a more selfish goal like I want better armor or I want revenge.
The selfish goal they don't have to disclose to the group but they can if they want.

Only when every pc in the party accomplishes both of these goals do they hit a milestone.
>>
>>54301565

D&D is a fairly simple , hack and slash heroic roleplaying game. Or at least that's how it's designed. Experience is one of the key rewards players get for overcoming obstacles within the game. Via doing this they intrinsically come to know how the game is paced. In fact the game is designed with this pacing in mind assuming a set amount of encounters per adventuring day.

Rewards are important as they tickle the reward centre of the players brain which keeps them coming back, they provide a purpose for why the players are playing. This is well psychologically established.

With rewards as well you can encourage the direction of play for the players without making it seem constricted

You can reward XP for example for completing in-game 'quest hooks’ , good roleplaying, exploring the map, finding treasure , achieving personal character goals, achieving group goals, overcoming traps and of course defeating monsters either through combat or other means if available.

With that in place players are then free to subvert this expectation and to a degree control their own pace of leveling. They can go after a high level monster for example, with a high risk for them in terms of character death but a high reward in terms of XP that would. They could decide they want to avoid combat and just want to explore cool places, and can get rewarded by XP for that. Hence XP encourages freeform play as well.

Milestones on the other hand remove this key reward and pacing tool from the game. They replace it with a far more arbitrary method of GM 'mother may I’ and in effect remove agency from the players as a result . This then encourages railroaded play where the players are led from plot point to plot point and randomly level up whenever the GM decides for some unclear reason to the players.
>>
Man, this monk class is so broken, you can't have a "you all are stripped of armors, weapons, components, spellbooks, spellcasting focii, etc" campaign because this fucker still has AC and deals damage.

Dunno why people play this game.
>>
Dragonborn at a shit race. Literally "I wanna play a skyrim argonian" and the Jews at wizards of the coast decided to capitalize on that. Nothing but another special snowflake race. Kender- tier snowflake crap. A good detector for edgy fag player who should be quietly dropped from the game without warning.
>>
>/mega/ is kill

;____________________;
>>
>>54303188
>/mega/ is kill
no
>>
>>54303103
It's not that I don't want magic, I just want something low-magic. Maybe more like Conan than Lord of the Rings; like I said, I just thought that the Scholar could be a starting point.

More combat options, hmm...
>>
>>54303188
It will be back up at some point
>>
File: btrhy.png (46KB, 293x306px) Image search: [Google]
btrhy.png
46KB, 293x306px
>>54303179
If you're gonna baitpost, can you at least be good bait?
>>
>>54303142
They showed up twice in 3rd edition; Green Ronin's Bastards & Bloodlines and in Kingdoms of Kalamar. Third party, admittedly, but they were a thing.

Plus, gnolls as demonic rage zombies in the shape of hyena-men is unique to 5e; gnolls actually did have as much attention as a non-evil PC race as orcs did. They've been playable in Basic, Advanced, 3rd and 4th.
>>
>>54303206
I know he's baiting, but I actually agree with him. I mean, a lot of people give tieflings shit for becoming a PBH race, but at least tieflings actually exist in the majority of written settings, and their fluff (old fluff, at least) makes enough sense to fit into any setting at all.
Dragonborn are literally the opposite.
>>
>>54302675
Why are you not playing a Bladesinger, War Mage, Theurge or Lore Master?
>>
>>54303087
>>54301522
#2 is just a rehash of the last point of #1. Again, magic-psionic transparency.

And #3 refers to a fantasy of his own invention. There are few instances where you can respond to a caster:
1) Prepared actions, where either you have Readied an action "if that guy casts a spell" or a caster has Readied a spell cast "to complete when that guy finishes doing something"
2) Spells and other effects that work on a Reaction whose trigger is "you see a spell being cast"
3) A spell is being cast which has a casting time greater than one action
4) A spell is being Concentrated on

Using magic-psionic transparency, 1 and 2 are easily solved. 3 basically never happens, and 4 is both already a thing for Mystics anyway and also easily solved by magic-psionic transparency.

And in case anyone is too stupid to know how to work transparency in: how the fuck are you even running a game if you're this stupid, and
>http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm
Just take a cue from past editions and work Displays in. It should be pretty obvious which 5E disciplines or powers associate with which 3E ones. When you manifest a power, you make a Bionic Man noise, your eyes glow, you spray silver goop everywhere, there's rainbow flashes around you, you start giving off transparent anime stink lines, whatever the fuck--just make it obvious that a "cast" is in progress or has happened.

Solved fucking problems.
>>
>>54303179
I don't like dragonborn, but there's so much irony in this post I just assume you're mad that your DM didn't let you play one or something
>>
File: neat.gif (270KB, 452x332px) Image search: [Google]
neat.gif
270KB, 452x332px
>>54303148
>>
>>54300985
Does anyone plan to use the initiative system in any form?
>>
>>54303179
Do people even play them? I'm playing with a bunch of people that have played nothing but 5e and don't really know lore or anything, but I haven't had any of them pick one since we started playing in the playtest
>>
>>54303179
>good detector for edgy fag player who should be quietly dropped from the game without warning
That's tieflings. Dragonborn are just a bad race that shouldn't be picked because it is mechanically shit.
>>
>>54303200
yes
;___;

>>54303205
I seriously hope so, there were things in there I seriously needed
>>
>>54303079
Pls anons
>>
>>54301432

Small caveat for my group, since the setting doesn't have resurrection as explained in the PHB, but because reincarnation is a major part of the setting's religion, most resurrection effects reincarnate instead.

>Re-roll to one level below level of death
>If the player wishes, character can be kept as-is if they re-roll their race as per Reincarnate, with penalties as per Resurrect
>>
File: 2gnolladept1.jpg (82KB, 640x551px) Image search: [Google]
2gnolladept1.jpg
82KB, 640x551px
>>54303215

I was actually referring to Yeenoghu's tendency to gift the odd gnoll with demonic mutations.
>>
>>54303179
>Games called Dungeons and Dragons
>Upset you can play a Dragon.
>>
>>54303267
>T. Dragonfurry
>>
>>54303142
>>54303215
Personally, if I wanted to do a 5e Half-Gnoll, I figure go with the idea that they survive in gnollish tribes by being the smart ones - they're not the bruisers that the purebloods are, but they're skilled enough to find a place, even if it is as underdogs. Like so:

Half-Gnoll
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Strength, +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Filth-Eater's Gullet: You have Resistance to Poison and Advantage on Constitution checks against Poison and Disease.
Ripping Jaws: You can choose to Bite as an Unarmed Strike, letting you inflict 1d4 Piercing damage.
Rampage: When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points on your turn with a melee attack, you can take a bonus action to move up to half your speed and make a bite attack.
Runt's Survival: You gain Proficiency in one skill of its choice.
Keep Up: You add your Proficiency Bonus to Constitution checks made to resist Exhaustion.
>>
>>54303275
It's been taken down many times before. There is an anon that always puts it back up
>>
>>54303298
well you can't play a dungeon, can you? checkmate.
>>
>>54303298
>Player dungeon race when
>>
Just use mageguru's trove, its better
>>
>>54303079
I don't have a pic, but they're about the same height except more slender and with thinner bases. I use Reaper Bones instead because they're cheaper.
>>
>>54303266
I played one on the grounds of "I've never been a fire-breathing lizard before". Came from a continent where there were lizardmen, kobolds and dragonborn riding dinosaurs and having really cutthroat politics involving merchant princes and shipping companies instead of kings and armies.

Being a renaissance Italian in Not!Germany was fun.
>>
>>54303315
I play a dungeon every week.

My players even call me 'The Dungeon Master.'
>>
>>54303315
Don't tell me what I can't do
>>
>>54303302
If I wanted to play a dragonfucker I'd just be a Lizardman.
>>
>>54303298
>I sexually Identify as a dungeon. Ever since I was a manlet I dreamed of having a huge gaping chasm that adventurers would come into, before I drop hot sticky loads on them. PC's say to me that a character being a dungeon is Impossible and I’m fucking retarded but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having the WOTC design team make rules for walls, traps, and monsters on my character sheet. From now on I want you guys to call me "Tomb of Horrors” and respect my right to kill from random pit traps and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a dungeonphobe and need to check your adventurer privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.
>>
>>54303062
>>54303066
I didn't see that. Thanks anons.
Also, while the cleric domains are recycled as fuck, the level 17 Zeal feature is hella cool in my opinion.
>>
>>54303315
>well you can't play a dungeon, can you?
That's called being the fucking DM you should try it some time I'm sure yours would appreciate it
>>
>>54303264
The only thing about it that I found neat was something I already do: rolling initiative every round. This helps to avoid the JRPG-style list of who goes after who and it feels more organic.
>>
>>54303379

Isn't that what dragonborn essentially are, though?
>>
>>54302746
Folks, we've had half-orcs for a long time... and, technically, half-goblinoids have been part of the lore for ages, even if the only stats were in 3.5 Dragonlance's Races of Ansalon and in Kingdoms of Kalamar. How unbalanced is this attempt at a 5e version?

Before anyone asks, being self-assured, confident and fearless is actually a defining trait of Krynn's half-goblins. I'm serious. That's where the +2 Cha and Advantage on Fear & Charm saves comes from.

Half-Goblinoid
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Charisma
Sneaky Git: You have Proficiency in Dexterity (Stealth).
Me Mind's Me Own: You have Advantage on Wisdom saves versus Fear and Charm effects.
Goblinoid Blood: Choose either the Bugbear, Goblin or Hobgoblin Lineages. Your choice of subrace further determines your racial traits.

Bugbear Lineage:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Strength
Brute: Melee weapons wielded by you increase their base damage by +1 dice. For example, a weapon that does 1d4 damage would, in your hands, do 2d4 damage. This racial trait does not increase the damage of ranged weapons or thrown weapons.

Goblin Lineage:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Dexterity
Nimble Escape: You can Disengage or Hide as a bonus action on your turn.

Hobgoblin Lineage:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Intelligence
Martial Training: You have Proficiency with two martial weapons of your choice, and also with Light Armor.
Saving Face: When you miss with an attack roll, or fail an ability check or saving throw, you can choose to apply a bonus to the roll's result equal to the number of allies that you can see within 30 feet (maximum bonus of +5). After invoking this bonus, you cannot use this trait again until you have completed a short rest or a long rest.
>>
>>54303395
Okay, but when I'm DMing there's no dragonborn
>>
>>54303418
No
>>
>>54303179
>Dragonborn at a shit race. Literally "I wanna play a skyrim argonian"

Your timeline is a little off there. Dragonborn debuted as a standard race back in 4e, so 2007. Skyrim didn't come out until four years later, in 2011.

If anything they were included to provide a counterpoint to the the various inhuman races of World of Warcraft, like minotaurs and dranei. Dranai. Whatever.
>>
File: lel.gif (1MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
lel.gif
1MB, 300x225px
>>54303362
I legitimately smirked IRL
>>
>>54303393
Zeal is amazing in general
>>
>>54303398
Yeah. My group doesn't use a fixed initiative order either. It adds a level of suspense.
>>
>>54303314
I know I just hope it goes back up sooner than later
>>
>>54303478
There are other, working troves that aren't hard to find.
>>
>>54302424
When you level up, at least 1 of the 2 spells you choose have to be from your primary school.
>>
>>54303428
Dragonlance and Kalamar aren't exactly celebrated settings, but for the sake of making up races whatever. The bugbear one sounds way too good, but the others are probably fine
>>
>>54303440
Morrowind was released in 2002 and kicked off a lot of Argonian wank.
>>
>>54303428

Bugbear is ridiculous.
>>
>>54303203
>I just want something low-magic. Maybe more like Conan than Lord of the Rings
>thinks LotR is high magic

There's like 4-5 people that can cast magic, and not even terribly impressive magic at that.
>>
>>54302364
>you get INT instead of DEX to initiative
War Mage adds INT to DEX for Initiative at level 2

>save change once per SR
Legendary Resistance shits all over this

>inferior metamagic
Anon, it is inferior to the Sorcerers Metamagic, Twin Spell blows it the fuck out, Quicken makes it laughable

>compare the features you get in other archetypes to this one and you'll see that this archetype just isn't as strong as people make out
>>
File: tumblr_mg6dsxS6F31s1rhtuo1_500.jpg (147KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mg6dsxS6F31s1rhtuo1_500.jpg
147KB, 500x667px
>>54303561
>Be tolkein
>Create low fantasy setting grounded in ancient world mythologies
>Everyone calls it high fantasy
>>
File: 1485556273194.jpg (43KB, 702x960px) Image search: [Google]
1485556273194.jpg
43KB, 702x960px
>>54303428
>Brute: Melee weapons wielded by you increase their base damage by +1 dice. For example, a weapon that does 1d4 damage would, in your hands, do 2d4 damage. This racial trait does not increase the damage of ranged weapons or thrown weapons.
>>
>>54303533
I get that, but by the time 2007 rolled around most of the hype around Morrowind was gone, and I don't recall Oblivion being nearly as big as its predecessor or successor.

No, 4e definitely took its cues from World of Warcraft, which in 2007 had hit 9 million subscribers (a HUGE increase from just one year prior, when it had 6.5 million) and continued to grow for the next few years until its 2010 peak of 12 million.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/18695100881
>>
>>54303428
>Melee weapons wielded by you increase their base damage by +1 dice
Are you fucking insane? Kill yourself. Never try homebrewing ever again
jesus fucking christ
that's one of the worst things I ever saw
seriously
die
>>
>>54303561
Weekly reminder that Gandalf was pretty much a demigod or angel and his "magic" was actually Bardic and capped out at "casts Thunderwave".
>>
>>54303588
Reee, high magic does not equal high fantasy, or vice versa.
>>
>>54303600
probably his most impressive spell was "exploding pinecones"
>>
>>54303595

>seriously
>die

well yeah die is the plural of dice.
>>
>>54303561 >>54303588
I think you misinterpreted what I meant, so let me clarify - I want a bunch of low-magic classes, but Lord of the Rings might be a bit too low for what I'm going for, so something more like Conan might be a better touchstone.
>>
>>54303593

Yeah my initial 4E group were mostly all big WoW players and they fucking loved 4E and picked it up super easily due to its WoW design. I eventually moved onto other systems but I couldn't even get them to play a different edition of D&D as they were so hooked on their various daily powers and shit.
>>
File: 1471999021105.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1471999021105.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>54303619
>>
>>54303595

Imagine the crits though.

>Bugbear Paladin
>Greatsword/Maul - 2d6
>Brute - 3d6
>Critical hit - 6d6
>>
>>54303494
>>54303321

How about you link them
>>
>>54303647
>Thinking damage is the most powerful thing you can do with a crit.
>When my bard rolls a nat 20 kingdoms change hands.
>>
>>54303647
Bugbear Fighter with his extra attacks and action surges.
>>
>>54303630
So... remove Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorc and Wizard?

Or if it's the high level spells that are problematic, make them multiclass after 8 or 14 or something.
>>
>>54303611
3X had a 6th level Druid spell called Fire Seeds that did that.
>>
>>54303683
>nat 20

simbly ebic xD
>>
>>54303683
>Le nat 20 on persuasion can do anything memes
Kill yourself please and spare us the trouble.
>>
>>54303647
If he couldn't imagine things like that he probably wouldn't have had a problem with it
>>
>>54303683
lol so WACKY and random, upvoted good sir

Edit: Thanks for the gold, kind stranger
>>
>>54303683
>nat 20 means kingdoms change hands on a bard
Don't be stupid, anon. Anyone that roles a nat 20 on a social check gets whatever they want. Can't fail on a 20!
>>
>>54303636

I can see that. Four clearly defined roles, managing powers based on when you'll be able to use them again, certain minimum levels of damage and healing assumed in the system math-pretty basic stuff for MMO veterans.
>>
File: mymindisamaze.png (414KB, 594x716px) Image search: [Google]
mymindisamaze.png
414KB, 594x716px
>>54303683
>a successful diplomacy check has magical powers and forces people to believe or do anything you want
>crits exist for skill checks
You should probably read the book.
>>
>>54303648
It's not hard to find at all. If you're not an idiot, it'll take you all of two minutes to find it on Google
>>
File: Back to Reddit.jpg (229KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
Back to Reddit.jpg
229KB, 717x880px
>>54303683
You have to go back.
>>
>>54303428
Greataxe weilding half-bugbear fighter / barbs when
Normal hit 2d12. Crit on 19-20. Auto adv on attacks. Extra dice on crit. The humanity.
>>
File: Beastmaster.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Beastmaster.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>54303694
It's really sort of "spells" in general that are the problem, or at least the Vancian approach.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not your normal low-magic 'tard, I actually like Vancian magic and generally like the high-magic approach D&D has to magic. It's just that when I get an idea in my head, I have a hard time dropping it. So I want to try and kind of create "magic using" classes that don't really technically cast spells at any point, at least not in the D&D sense; or else capture the basic idea of the class but in a low-magic sense rather than a high-magic one

It's a really vague goal, I know. My first go at this was the beastmaster, which is supposed to be a low-magic druid in feel if not in specifics.
>>
>>54303734

I really wish I could play this race now just to see if I could ever land the magical attack where I need to roll as many d6's as are probably at the table.

>Bugbear Barbarian
>Greatsword/Maul - 2d6
>Brute - 3d6
>Crit - 6d6
>Brutal Critical - 7d6/8d6/9d6
>>
Alright, alright, I get it, the Brute feature for the half-bugbear is too good, even though they're otherwise terrible at the melee fighter role.

Any suggestions for something better? I hate the Volo's Guide's stupid "extra reach" racial trait because it comes out of absolutely nowhere compared to the MM version of the Bugbear.

I suppose I could just steal the "+1 damage dice on a melee critical hit" trait from the half-orc...
>>
>>54303795
Vancian magic is trash and the worst part of dnd.
>>
>>54302928
You can't be serious. The PHB ranger had the same feature.
>>
>>54302794
>>54302842
Is there really no benefit of Celestial Warlock over Cleric?
>>
File: 1465346839070.gif (2MB, 512x321px) Image search: [Google]
1465346839070.gif
2MB, 512x321px
>>54303871
lol no u
>>
>>54302794
I don't get why they exist isn't that just a cleric?
>>
Anyone got that revised 4 Elements Monk?

Saw it on here the other day but forgot to save it.
>>
>>54303428
>>54303848

What makes them bad at melee fighter?

+1 Str, +2 Cha isn't ideal, but its pretty good for Paladins, Valor Bards, and Bladelocks.
>>
>>54303889
You get incantations, you lose spell slots
>>
>>54303889
Mechanically, it's probably better at shooting lasers. Thematically, no, it's pointless.
>>
>>54303889
Warlocks as a whole are redundant, for half their existence you only have two spells. Even on short rest, every single encounter you're gonna be spending them on Hex and Armor of Agathys if you want to not suck. After that you're reduced to basically be a turret that spams eldritch blast.

Warlock has some of the best flavor in the whole game, but it's also one of the most boring classes to play, even worse than most non-magical martials.
>>
>>54303900
No, because a cleric gets his or her powers from a god directly, or at least from the faith in some divine source.

A celestial warlock would probably instead be some angel making a Pact with someone. The power is in the Pact and has nothing to do with faith.

Like...Bethany Sloane in Dogma makes a Pact with the Metatron, say.

The Pact could also be made with a less-powerful celestial patron, like a couatl, lillend, unicorn, etc.
>>
>>54303944
>Warlock has some of the best flavor in the whole game, but it's also one of the most boring classes to play, even worse than most non-magical martials.
That's too bad. I really liked the idea of playing one, but I might roll something else up instead.
>>
>>54303910
I feel like if you just gave a monk 4 elemental cantrips that added wisdom damage and let them use martial arts/flurry of blows after it the same as an attack action you would have a better 4 elements monk than the one the PHB gives you
>>
>>54303918
The fact +2 Strength is better for Paladins, and the +2 Cha is useless for Fighters, Rogues and Barbarians, mostly.

This ain't 4e, where most classes could use 3 or 4 different ability scores depending on build - there was literally a Str+Cha-focused archetype for Rogues in 4e - after all.

You're right, it does make a pretty good "caster first" Charisma-Gish, but it's not exactly a first pick for most of the big damage-dealing martials until you see Brute, now is it?
>>
>>54303944
It's not for you, and that's okay. It's the spellcasting equivalent of playing a fighter. 5e is better than 4e because it offers characters of both high and low complexity instead of a blandly uniform complexity. You were meant to play a wizard or some equally fiddly character, so go on and do that.
>>
>>54304008
Charisma as the +2 instead of dex for half goblins is generally kind of weird to me. I know that it's just the quirk Dragonlance gave half goblins, but it's generally kind of strange when in practice that means half goblins would most likely be paladins, bards, warlocks, or sorcerers in the hands of players (not that anyone actually would use this)
>>
>>54303944
In HotDQ/RoT, the warlock we were running with never cast hex even once. I think his most common spell was Arms of Hadar.
>>
>>54303848
Surprise Attack and Stealth proficiency.
>>
File: nasusrew-banner.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
nasusrew-banner.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
Besides being a Khenra, how do I make him, /tg/? Paladin? Warlock? Mystic with Giant Growth?
>>
>>54303944
>another butthurt min-maxer who can't play the game for fun unless "muh optimal"
Hex is terrible if you go pact blade or go hexblade if you allow UA
>inb4 fighter doing my job better than me
Stop playing the game just for combat encounters. If I was playing with yoy, nothing stopping me from going bard, stacking my charisma, bardic inspiration, guidance, and expertise in diplomacy based abilities and talking my way out of every encounter
>>
>>54303079
GW skeletons will work out cheaper. Mantic is an option too, but I think warhammer stuff fits the d&d aesthetic better.
>>
>>54304106
Battlemaster Fighter.
>>
>>54304137
Playing the game optimally is different from wanting OPTIONS for your character that don't make you dead weight to the team.

As it stands, warlocks are weak characters to begin with, and doing anything except spamming eldritch blast every turn makes them even weaker. It's no fun to be blatantly inferior to everyone else in the game, min-maxer or not.
>>
>>54304089
Hmm... yeah, that could work, thanks. That's a lot better.

>>54304051
Hmm... point. What if I make the core +2 boost Dex, keep Me Mind's Me Own for the Dragonlance reference, and maybe make half-goblins get a +1 Cha, representing Nilbogs and Booyagh?
>>
>>54304106
Bladelock (first level in fighter). There's a smite UA invocation.

AoE can be hunger of hadar.

Also hex effects.
>>
>>54304106
You could 3 levels of immortal mystic for temp hp from int and giant growth a few times a day. And then fighter the rest if the way or pally but that would be kinda MAD. You don't need high int if you wanna pally but nasus is smart in the lore
>>
>>54304175
Doesn't matter, because my bard will talk us out of every encounter, so there is no combat. Your criticism is not valid, since it implicitly assumes all other characters stacked in combat. Also, pact blade and hex blade are another reason why your "no options" is meme'd
>>
Mega is kill. Anyone have the Dungeon Master's Guide?
>>
Alright, here's me new Half-Bugbear. How broken does it look now?

Ability Score Modifier: +2 Dexterity
Sneaky Git: You have Proficiency in Dexterity (Stealth).
Me Mind's Me Own: You have Advantage on Wisdom saves versus Fear and Charm effects.
Goblinoid Blood: Choose either the Bugbear, Goblin or Hobgoblin Lineages. Your choice of subrace further determines your racial traits.

Bugbear Lineage:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Strength
Surprise Attack: If you manage to surprise a creature and land a hit with a melee attack on it during the first round of combat, you inflict extra damage equal to your Strength modifier +1 (minimum of +2 damage).
>>
>>54304231
Yeah, I've got one on my bookshelf
>>
>>54300985
My character has come into a situation that is limited by me own personality and I need help knowing how to get past it.

>backstory
>party in a witches lair finds creepy undead hand with a evil eye gem in it, paladin says we need to take it with us to find a way to destroy it, group agrees CG sorceror takes it
>later CG sorceror reveals he is going to sell it to highest bidder, me and paladin tell him he cant do that because it's a very evil thing blah blah
>he doesnt budge on it saying "I need money."
>Ends with us tackling him and me taking the hand
>He never touched it, but in the scuffle I did
>Now DM tells me "You want nobody else to have the hand. You are becoming more and more verbally aggressive and snappy with your party as well as paranoid that everyone is trying to take it"

I have no idea how to roleplay this other than once in awhile "You just want me to do X so Y will happen and you can get the hand".

I am a new player and this is my first character so I would love tips and advice.
>>
>>54304106
Single class would hardly do justice to a lol champion.
That said, you'd need something that:
>regains health
Like fiendlock1. Temp hp is not the same thing, but there's no at-will healing in 5e afaik
>has a power strike
GWM, smite, warlock pseudo smite
>can cast slow
It's in sorcerer and wizard spell list. You could possibly give it to a paladin oath as well
>creates a lingering aoe with damage and debuff
Don't know of any. Circle of death fits the theme, I guess.
>casts enlarge on self, or something similar
sorcerer/wizard list

You'd have to compromise somewhere.
Or suck your DM off, fitting for a filthy lol player
>>
File: ss+(2017-05-15+at+12.22.32).png (78KB, 171x178px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-05-15+at+12.22.32).png
78KB, 171x178px
>>54304231
>people who didn't bother making a fork
>>
>>54304231
https://dnd.rem.uz
>>
Be honest, anons: just how incredibly overpowered is this race?

Half-Gnome
Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Intelligence, +1 Dexterity
Size: Small
Movement: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Powerful Build: You are treated as being one size larger to determine your capacity to lift, push, pull, drag and carry loads.
Works the Angles: You can use an Intelligence check to determine your Initiative, instead of using a Dexterity check.
Jack of All Trades: When you are called upon to make a skill check you do not have Proficiency in, you can grant yourself Advantage on that check. After you use this trait, you must complete a long rest before you use it again.
>>
>>54304106
Depends. You could be looking for one of two things, and I don't know which one yet. Either you're looking for something vaguely like Nasus that people will recognize and enjoy that dank millennial reference-based humor substitute, in which case you can play any class and look, dress, and talk like him. On the other hand, you could be looking for a D&D character that functions exactly like Nasus in every way, which is not going to happen.
>>
>DM wants us to roll
>13, 12, 12, 9, 7, 3 (Not straight down)
What do I play? inb4 something with 3 con so I can reroll quicker
>>
>>54304408

Druid? Shapeshift into better stats?

I dunno, highest stat at 13 limits you a LOT.
>>
>>54301210
>whinger

I hate this dumb, fucking word.
>>
>>54304408
>What do I play?
Soccer, with your DM's head.
>>
>>54304403
Is fine
Give 1 more int
>>
File: 11241995.jpg (18KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
11241995.jpg
18KB, 300x220px
>>54304408
13 Strength
7 Dexterity
9 Constitution
12 Wisdom
12 Intelligence
3 Charisma

You're the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Enjoy.
>>
>>54304403
Why even bother making them small if you're going to give them medium movespeed and carrying capacity? They'd also already be about the sive of a dwarf which would put them into Medium category anyway.
Works the angles will be more like +1~2 to initiative because they're probably picking an int class which uses dex as secondary.
Jack of All Trades has a problem because it has the same name as another feature. Now they can't bard.
It's really a subpar race.

>>54304408
I'd play something with 7 CON and 3 INT. Fastest road to a reroll.
>>
>>54304536

YOU ARE DEFORMED
AND YOU ARE UGLY
AND THESE ARE CRIMES FOR WHICH THE WORLD HAS LITTLE PITY

YOU DO NOT COMPREHEND.
>>
>>54304567
Because, unlike dwarves, who are technically small themselves, it's just they're supposed to be stupidly strong for their size that hey can wield what are, to them, oversized weapons, half-gnomes don't have that kind of brawn. They're bigger than normal gnomes, but still too puny to really wield weapons sized for humans.

Can you suggest a better name for "Jack of All Trades"?

I don't get what you mean about Work The Angles.
>>
>>54301405
Why not rewrite it to not be broken instead of being a massive faggot and screeching on a Indonesian cartoon board about playtest material
>>
>>54301134

My DM has changed them to be the aftermath of a lich manufacturing his own army by getting a bunch of kobolds as a base and altering them with dragons blood and magic thousands of years ago. They're not super prevalent and most of them are evil (so we have none in the party and haven't met them) but we do know they exist.
>>
>>54304654
>Not Indonesian shadow puppetry
Really anon, get your world media right

>>54304408
D&D but with a different DM
>>
File: Butthurt OP.gif (4MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Butthurt OP.gif
4MB, 500x281px
>>54304654
>3 hours later
>Nobody even replying anymore
>Still assblasted
EPIC
>>
Could an elf become a vampire?
>>
I keep hearing the premade/book adventures are pretty good, and many provide a good jump off point for the GM to start working on their own.

But it seems so many GMs smugly dismiss the remade material and settings for their own snowflake stuff.
>>
Wait so guys, quick question on map and grid size and stuff.

In one of the maps that come with LMoP, it states that the grid is 10'. Do you guys ignore this? Or do you just only let your players move 3 squares per turn if they have 30' movement?

I always assumed DnD worked off a 5' grid (some of the maps in LMoP do, but not all) The ability to base-move 6 squares per turn feels more free and makes it feel like less of a chess match
>>
>>54304774
>I keep hearing the premade/book adventures are pretty good, and many provide a good jump off point for the GM to start working on their own.
This is true by most accounts.
>But it seems so many GMs smugly dismiss the remade material and settings for their own snowflake stuff.
You don't have to be a dick about people who don't use them, though.
Do you really think every homebrew setting is snowflakey? Have you had such bad luck with DMs, or are you projecting right now?
>>
>>54304783

I'm pretty sure 5' squares are the standard. Not sure why they would change that for one of the maps.
>>
>>54304783
Each 10' square is just 4 5' squares. Just draw the map in 5' squares.
>>
>>54304753
What a preposterous preposition, positively out of the question

>>54304783
I ignore it, everything becomes 5ft squares instead, unless it's an ogre cave or camel derby
>>
>>54304753
Canonicaly yes. There is one in one of the modules.
>>
>>54304910
>>54304957
Conflicting answers, but thanks guys, I will look for this module.
>>
>>54304812
>>54304783
That's probably a bad habit left over from old-school D&D, when all movement and weapon and spell ranges were meaured in inches on the map, no matter what scale the map was drawn to! (it was generally assumed that outdoor maps would be drawn to smaller scales than indoor ones, but technically anything goes.)
>>
>>54303767
I tried for like 5 minites to find them than i realized you should stop being a faggot and just link it
>>
>>54304403
if you're going to do half-everything, even boring stuff that nobody wants, why not just make half-races that you pick two of and smash together to make any combination of two humanoid parents?
>>
Is there a /5eg/ discord?
>>
>>54305237
Seconded.
If there's a better trove, maybe we should put it in the OP?

>>54305257
Sorry, there isn't.
>>
>>54305257
Yes, but prepare for a lot of people to be angry about it.
https://discord.me/5eg
>>
>>54305276
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54305257
Don't do it anon, it's suicide
>>
>>54305257
>>54305274
>>54305276
>>54305296
>>54305304
OK everyone, that's enough. No need for further discussion on this topic.
>>
>>54305320
Great, than can someone link one of the other troves already
>>
>tfw you crit on a smite after a grave cleric uses the vunrability thing
>>
File: IMG_0984.jpg (50KB, 600x542px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0984.jpg
50KB, 600x542px
>>54305430
Orgasmic
>>
Alright, fags. Next retard to whip up the OP, put this mega on it:
https://mega.nz/#F!8lhwhRhY!QtPgmG-SJLu8CSBEjRutqA
>>
>>54305487
Thank you so much anon
>>
>>54305487
Strange that 3rd and 4th are called AD&D but not 5th.
Seems legit, though.
>>
>>54305487
>Next retard to whip up the OP, put this mega on it:
No, it will be taken down
>>
File: Chrono Hopper.pdf (505KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Chrono Hopper.pdf
505KB, 1x1px
hehe cheers loves
>>
>>54305570
Does is have the roll 20 tokens
>>
>>54305593
>Blink is cool
>Time dilations is completely OP and the condition is silly
>Recall might work properly if worded better
>Precognition feels boring
But most importantly, they're all combat abilities, despite the fact that rogue archetypes tend to get noncombat abilities at 9th and 13th.
I like the concept, and would like the execution more if you addressed these concerns.
Also pls post the original image
>>
>>54305663

It's not mine, found it on MFoV.

I think they get art for their homebrews commissioned, sorry.
>>
>>54305693
Sad day.
I don't know who MFoV is, but they're not good at homebrewing 5e.
>>
File: b49[1].gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
b49[1].gif
1MB, 680x680px
>>54305593
>Dual hand crossbows
THAT DOESN'T WORK
>>
>>54305708

Middle Finger of Vecna/Mage Hand Press.
>>
>>54305719
It does with Crossbow Expert, if you have a way to reload.
>>
>>54305719
>>54305738
Alternatively it does work, but only once per crossbow
>>
>>54305720
Noted. I'll be skeptical of stuff from there in the future.
>>
>>54305593
Honestly I feel like a lot of Overwatch heroes kits could be a lot of fun in a d&d setting. Reinhardt's in particular jumps to mind.
>>
>>54300985
I generally always allow the UA Ranger at the very least.
>>
>>54305593
>not just playing a Nomad Mystic
>>
File: phb4e.jpg (98KB, 400x599px) Image search: [Google]
phb4e.jpg
98KB, 400x599px
>>54305663
>the condition is silly
Literally Bloodied, my man.
>>
File: Chronokeeper.jpg (843KB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
Chronokeeper.jpg
843KB, 2550x3300px
>>54305593
>>
>>54305923
>Bloodied
>Gets advantage on lockpicking attempts
Yes, makes perfect sense.
>>
>>54305773

Could you buid Reinhardt without making him an archetype?

Wind Wall = Barrier Shield
Agnazzar's Scorcher/Firebolt = Fire Strike
Charger Feat? = Charge
Investiture of Earth = Earthshatter
>>
File: Shield Expert.pdf (143KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Shield Expert.pdf
143KB, 1x1px
DUAL WIELD SHIELDS MA NIGGA
>>
Is that what we're doing once the thread is past 350 now? Instead of shitposting, we're linking shitty archetypes?

>>54306026
Those don't really function like Reinhardt's abilities, though.
That said, we can make an archetype that's not specific to Reinhardt but still works for him. But it could work for other similar characters, like Poppy.
>>
>>54306197
I'm just waiting for the next thread to come around to share a dumb thing that happened last session.
>>
>>54304408
Non shit post asnwer is probably a firbolg druid

Physical stats are irrelevant, but you will have a 15 wis and a 5 str leaves you enough to at least power your lungs as you sleep
>>
File: this gif is shit.gif (492KB, 500x254px) Image search: [Google]
this gif is shit.gif
492KB, 500x254px
>>54306039
>At 7th level, once per turn, you can slide downhill, even across stairs and other rough terrain, atop your shield, up to half your movement speed, without expending movement
>>
>>54306228
Why wait let's hear it.
>>
>>54306039
I don't hate the idea of it, but 18 levels to be the guy with 2 shields is kind of harsh. I would just make dual shield wielding a feat or fighting style (maybe have the second one only give 1 ac or something since it's only a fighting style) and call it a day. I feel like a lot of those features are just padding so you could get to being the double shield guy
>>
>>54306248
That's somehow the least idiotic feature in the archetype.
>>
>>54306299

I'm pretty sure the idea is just to TWF but hitting them with a shield. They probably just added the dual shields as a meme.
>>
Why is a trident nothing but a heavier spear?
Why even include it in the weapon table?
>>
>>54306325

It's not just a heavier spear.

It's a heavier more expensive spear.
>>
>>54306325
It's a tribute to Gary Gygax's polearm fetish
>>
>>54304285
Any advice?
>>
NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD
>>54306352
>>
>>54303167
While rewards are indeed important, D&D offers other options (treasure) to reward the player.

I do fully agree that "arbitrary level-up points" is bad if it's hidden from the players.
But if you tell the players "Next level-ups are when you finish A, B, and C", you provide the players knowledge of where they need to go and what they need to do if they want to get the next ding.
In fact, I feel that simply stating an objective and letting the players decide how direct or indirect they want to be about accomplishing it is even better for player agency, so long as they intend to complete said goals.
>>
>>54306323
Either way it's basically everything that was wrong with 3.5 prestige classes in 5e archetype form. Things that should be possible without a class feature, special exclusive equipment in the face of immersion, and the only significant thematic payoff is the capstone feature which isn't really all that great. If the first feature it gave was double shield and the rest of it was about using that I could at least justify it in my head
>>
>>54306346
Tell him you're not going to not!mordor to destroy this not!onering
>>
Any fun choices for Ranger archetypes?
>>
>>54306426
Deep Stalker, Horizon Walker
>>
>>54304285
Just play it like youre Frodo. Keep the hand in a special place, wrapped in a fine cloth. Stay up late and rub the hand while others are asleep. Go along with plans to destroy it, but subtly sabotage them. Find better things to do instead. When it comes time to destroy the hand, claim you lost it and refuse to part with it.
>>
>>54306426
The Warden one where you turn into a tree seemed neat. Not that it will ever beat melee ranger with a mastiff.
>>
>>54304828
Ugh. Then the Wave Echo Cave becomes 66 squares wide and 96 tall. Fuckn enormous to put at 1" grid. But thanks.
>>
>>54302185
Dude's clearly retarded. He can't spell Shillelagh and can't read very well.

He most likely meant to say Tomelock 3/Paladin so you can get CHA Shillelagh with PAM synergy. Which is hilarious because you can't multiclass or use feats according to the initial question
>>
>>54301134
I had a gm who banned them because he didn't want to deal with a player using their breath to team kill at low levels.
Thread posts: 375
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.