[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do we really believe the Egyptians played boardgames? Sounds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: DCuvYjVUIAAwJja.jpg (709KB, 2048x1349px) Image search: [Google]
DCuvYjVUIAAwJja.jpg
709KB, 2048x1349px
Do we really believe the Egyptians played boardgames? Sounds like a scam to me.
>>
>>54302221
Why not? We know that the Romans did, The boards they carved into the steps of the Senate are still there.
>>
>>54302221
Whats so unbelievable about it?.
>>
>>54302221
>He doesn't believe that Yugi-oh is real
>>
>>54302221
They really don't know if these were games or not. While they might look like games, they are much more likely to be ceremonial or decorative objects, much like fake fruit.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senet
>>
>>54302221
A scam for what purpose? Who profits off of perpetuating the idea that ancient Egiptians played board games?
>>
>>54302376
Maybe OP buys into the theory that Egyptian nobility were black. that would make them pursuing puzzles and games rather unlikely.
>>
>>54302503
KYS yourself, /pol/ack.
>>
>>54302404

I'm not sure why this makes sense? Human beings have always sought entertainment, why wouldn't ancient peoples have board games?
>>
>>54302221
>>54302404

What we know about Senet:

- First fragmentary evidence of boards found from the First Dynasty (3100 bc, approx)
- Pictured in tombs from the Third Dynasty (2600 bc, approx)
- Intact boards found in Middle Kingdom burials
- Referred to as a game in the Book of the Dead, with the game described as symbolising the journey of the Ka (or soul) to the afterlife.
- Boards have been found in Cyprus, and in sites in the Levant, areas which did not follow Egyptian religious traditions.

So, in short, it is a game, which had religious symbolism attached to it. Egyptians depicted themselves playing the game in their tombs for the same reason they were depicted at work; they were depicting what they wanted their afterlife to be, an idealised version of their mortal life.
>>
>>54302503
Where tha roman women at?
>>
>>54302615
Rome.
>>
>>54302221
>This was the $500 Xbox One X of the Egyptian Empire
>>
>>54302771
>Ancient Egypt
>500$ for an Xbox One X

Holy shit, accounting for inflation between now than then that'd be incredibly fucking expensive. No wonder they stuck to PC gaming.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.