[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worst job for gaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 24

File: badcop10n-1-web.jpg (86KB, 750x825px) Image search: [Google]
badcop10n-1-web.jpg
86KB, 750x825px
What is the worst job if you like to play RPGs and why is it being a cop?
>>
Funeral director. I was an apprentice for a year. I was on call 7 nights a week.
>>
>>54298836
Because in RPGs you have to be mindful of the various races and cultures, but as a cop you don't have a thing to worry about and sometimes you cross streams
>>
>>54298836
ACAB
>>
File: Grilled Cheese.webm (3MB, 1280x536px) Image search: [Google]
Grilled Cheese.webm
3MB, 1280x536px
Kitchen work is pretty rough. Tons of night work, irregular scheduling means you can't establish a certain night you'll definitely have off, and any holidays or time when other people would likely have free time you're going to be working because normalfags will be going out to eat.
>>
>>54298993
I can't imagine...

I do play with a couple of cooks from Canada though and they usually make it for game night, although the player cook usually is a bit late for sessions because of work...
>>
>>54298836
Not my job but I imagine Deep Sea Oil Rig Operator would be a bitch to schedule.
>>
Any minimum wage shit position where the days they have you come in is constantly in Flux and you can't do shot about it because you're 17 and you need gas money.
>>
I've got a friend who works as an EMT, which means his schedule is super unreliable and sometimes he'll just need to straight up drop whatever he's doing and go. You can't really hold it against him though, he's doing really good and important work, but it does kinda suck on game day.
>>
>>54298836
Because it occasionally requires you to go into a stranger's house who may have neglected to tell you about their dog.
>>
>>54298909
>careful with that edge, reddit
>>
When I was in the Navy I had a lot less time for games. Going out to sea for months at a time prevented me from gaming with civilians so I just DMed for my shipmates.

Even then, It was hard getting us together since we had a lot to do at sea in addition to having watch rotations, equipment casualties, etc. There's also an intercom system on ships that's used for various announcements. It's in just about every compartment and it's loud as fuck. So no matter how well I set the tone our games were always interrupted by announcements.
>>
>>54299704
You navy rats had the best fucking campaigns though... my fondest memories of gaming were in long beach in the early 90ies, being 16 or 17 and playing in a homebrew D&D campaign (by homebrew is that any book you brought to the table was allowed if you could realistically stat it)
One of the funniest things I remember was that the first time you used a spell, you had to come up with a little rhyme and say it before moving on with the game. Most of the shit was of course dumb as hell, but the first spell I ever cast was fireball, and I had a ton of trouble coming up with something, and all these 25-35yr old guys are laughing and egging me on and shit so I suddenly blurted out:
>I now cast my most fiery spell
>Die motherfuckers, burn in hell
Everyone went nuts with laughter, they started passing me and my older brother beers and the rest is history
>>
>>54299602
That's not Reddit, that's BLM or Occupy or whoever the hell it was that wrote Lisa Simpson's dialogue
>>
>>54298909
>Being this edgy
Don't you have cars to torch down in Hamburg?

>>54298836
Security guard.
Private employers will stretch your hours till you are working 300 hours per month.
>>
>>54298836
Homeless is a way worse job.

Being a murdohobo ain't fun when you're actually playing a murderhobo.

~meme supreme
>>
>>54298836
Courthouse worker here. I appreciate your service and commend you for having the patience to put up with it. The filth is everywhere and should honestly be hung in the streets like the vermin they are
>>
>>54299848
This is gold, I fucking laughed too
>>
>>54299848

Wait, that you was YOU?! I read about that shit in a history textbook and literally could not even believe that it had happened. Our entire class broke down in fucking tears laughing our asses off because it was so funny.

I even remember talking to a mate of mine and being like "I can only imagine how cool it would've been to be there when they made history".

>the rest is history
You're making an understatement, there, dude. It is history AND legend at the same time holy shit. That rhyme is LITERALLY textbook, it is crazy cool to finally hear it outside an academic history class setting and get it straight from someone who was there.
>>
>>54299517
We have "flexable" hours for your busy schedule!
>You mean there's no regularity or sense to the schedule at all and I'll have anywhere from eight to thirty-three hours every week without knowing what next week will have until Friday evening of the week before?

This is why I'm the GM and we play by post.
>>
>>54300123

Wait back the fun bus the fuck up, what kind of history textbook would have dudes playing D&D in it?
>>
>>54299052
If it wasn't for online games I'd never be able to play at all. When you work until 2AM, sleep until 10AM, and have to be back at work by 5PM, your only hope is to find people halfway around the world who don't mind a foreigner coming in.
>>
>>54299480
Skype?
>>
File: ATF Dog.png (126KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
ATF Dog.png
126KB, 500x461px
>>54299562
Never game with the ATF
>>
>>54299602
>>54299945
>>54300054
t. bootlicking classcucks
>>
>>54300123
>being this much of a smart ass
well, you're probably 17 or 18 tops, so I guess it fits
>>
File: Back to Reddit.jpg (229KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
Back to Reddit.jpg
229KB, 717x880px
>>54298909
>>
>>54298836
Farmer with animals. The cows don't give you a warning two weeks in advance when they intend to go nuts and tear down their shed or hang themselves after kicking down their griddles.
>>
>>54301566
Dairy farming is not an easy job. Responsible dairy farming is even tougher
>>
File: dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpg (67KB, 825x619px) Image search: [Google]
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpg
67KB, 825x619px
Contract firefighter is certainly a shit
>Four on, four off
>Except when shits on fire
>Fuck having a schedule

You know what's a fun feeling? Knowing that you can never, ever plan anything out in advance, because you can be called at any moment to go and shove retardant bins around for a fire that may last a day, a week or months before trundling back to your home, opening a beer, and then getting called again two hours later. I just don't get to play games with folks until the fire season is over.

But at least I don't have to go cut line out in the dirt. Fuck that.
>>
>>54301425
t.Unemployed brat who leeches of his parrents.
>>
File: You Have To Go Back.jpg (149KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
You Have To Go Back.jpg
149KB, 800x820px
>>54298909
>>
>>54299543
Is he gaming while on break or something? EMTs are only on 8 - 12 hour shifts. Why is he getting up and leaving in the middle of a game?
>>
>>54301383
>Never game with the ATF
just for clarity we are talking about the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives right?

So what is the problem with playing with someone with the ATF?
>>
File: you tried.jpg (19KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
you tried.jpg
19KB, 500x475px
>>54300123
>>
>>54301763
The joke being that an ATF agent, when confronted with a dog, will immediately shoot it.
>>
Any job where you work nights at "flexible schedules".
>>
>>54298836
I would imagine social worker would be a suck job if you like RPGs, not because of poor scheduling, but because they see some heavy shit in their 9-5 and are probably not in a good head-space afterward to be playing RPGs.

I mean think about it, after having to go through case after case of child abuse and/or neglect cases, especially ones where the parents just couldn't be bothered, how much of a mood are you really in to fight dragons and evil wizards?

I imagine ASPCA workers would also have a similar problem when at the table.
>>
>>54301566
Maybe if you treated them better they wouldn't be so desperate to either escape or just end it all.
>>
>>54302010
Never mistreated them and animals don't exactly vocalize when they intend to rampage nor give hints why. It could be a random unforeseen infection, a poorly timed birth or just the animal itself deciding that the fresh hay in front of it wasn't up to snuff.
>>
>>54301950
Having played with someone who does social work, they are all about it. Current theory is that they appreciate a bit of escapism and camaraderie; we're not co-workers all talking about the job, we're friends who are hanging out and focused on defeating an unambiguous and fictional evil.

One of the most important parts of that sort of work (or medicine, or anything else like that) is being able to compartmentalize and keeping your own life going.
>>
>>54298836
Being a baker is pretty shit. Start at 3 in the morning. Finish when other people have lunch. Etc.
>>
Freelance Writer for RPGs.

It sucks because any time I'm writing stuff for a game I'm going to run I think about how I could be using that time and effort to write something else for money.
>>
>>54300172
Get better labour laws.
My contract is 'flexible', but not to that degree. Minimum 15 hours a week spread over 3h45m a day for four days, can be pushed up to 40 hours and 5 days.
In reality, that turns out as 5 days a week, and very rarely outside 35-45 hours. The only downside is that I start at 6 fucking AM, and friday night is ruined because friday's the busiest day of the week and I'm dead tired by evening.

Honestly, the worst would have to be a worker on an offshore oil rig. A bunch of days on, a bunch of days off, not aligned with the weeks in any way. And due to the nature of the work, you may not get your days off due to being dead.
>>
>>54298993
we're closed sunday and monday barring a board of directors or dc dinner.
tuesday-saturday dinner service only, 5:30 to 9:00 pm.
>>
>>54302133
Some of us don't work at retirement homes spooning out gruel, we are in restaurants that serve regular customers, which means being open during periods when people want to go out and eat.
>>
It's the hardest for cops because they see the truth everyday.

A wageslave waiter or office worker can roleplay any character in the world.

A cop will never, ever, EVER be able to play or interact with black characters EVER in a RPG
>>
>>54302172
>gruel
you should check out our prix fixe menu, $275 with wine pairing! best gruel your flyover ass will ever eat!
>>
>>54298836
working an alternating nightshift at a plant that is behind its quota. I'm hard limited to games being biweekly and even then there is a chance I'll be asked to come in to work anyway.
>>
>>54302010
t. city baby
>>
>>54302368
I work at a downtown restaurant in Ottawa. We just aren't faggots, so we don't close the kitchen at fucking 9. Maybe someday you'll hear from someone what a dinner rush is like when there's more than 8 tables in the restaurant.
>>
>>54302203
I'm
>>54300054
I know that feel all too well.
>>
>>54300123

Wanker
>>
>>54302010
Farm animals will just do stupid shit for no reason. Go look up what happened in california when they passed a law requiring chicken farmers to have so much space per chicken. End result is that your food would be nowhere near as affordable if some methods aren't used anyways
>>
>>54301950

Finances dad is a detective in the sex crimes division of a very big city.

He is a very cheerful fun loving guy

Being able to keep work and personal life separate is what people who have these kinds of jobs have over everyone else
>>
As a GM, the worst people I've had experience getting gathered for a session are unemployed people. Not talking about peope who were laid off or anything, but people who have no interest in working.

They generally don't have a vehicle, or even worse, they don't have a license. Tend to be broke as fuck so they don't want to pay for a bus or cab or even gas money for someone to pick them up. Have poor time management skills so they always "forget" and have conflicting plans or whatever.

My friend who worked 4 on, 4 off as a marine diesel mechanic on a ship who had a wife and kid were easier to plan with.
>>
>>54298836

> One of the usuals at my local game shop is a cop

Guess that says how lax and/or shit our police are.
>>
>>54300123
if you ever wonder why you have no friends, or why the few you might have are such shitheads, its because you think you're funny but are actually just an obnoxious prick who tries way to hard to be sarcastic that no one wants to be around.
>>
>>54303252

Or that people aren't all the same based on their career choice

I'm an electrician and a majority of peoe I work with are rednecks or immigrants who only think about work and drinking beer after work. I love tabletop games play and and play 40k, but I wouldn't dream of telling others I work with because I'm pretty sure I'm 1 in a million
>>
File: FB_IMG_1493302638244.jpg (92KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1493302638244.jpg
92KB, 960x960px
>>54303252
>police officers not allowed to have /tg/-related hobbies in their personal lives
>>
>>54303227
>Being able to keep work and personal life separate is what people who have these kinds of jobs have over everyone else
>>54302042
>One of the most important parts of that sort of work (or medicine, or anything else like that) is being able to compartmentalize and keeping your own life going.
I assume that if you can't learn to mentally compartmentalize in that kind of work, you'd go insane very quickly.
>>
>>54302203
>everywhere is the USA
>>
>>54298909
Eh, I actually kind of agree with this. The cops I know personally have extremely ridged dualistic views of morality where everything is either "good" or "bad" and there is no room in between. I can't imagine that mentality being good for roleplaying unless he's roleplaying a city guard or something similar. What I want to know is if the job attracts those sort of people or it turns people into that.

>inb4 leftist cuck

I've gm'd for and played with Iraq and Afghanistan vets who were great.
>>
>>54304178
It turns people into that. You see the worst of the worst and see that the reality is ugly and bitter
>>
>>54302203
What if the cop is black.
Or, you know, NOT American.
>>
>>54304631
even if, pussyfooting around the issues in a context that has nothing to do with it, is just gonna make everything worse.
It's a stupid thing, really.
>>
>>54301762
Might be on call. That varies pretty heavily depending on country or even region.
>>
>>54304178
> What is a Paladin?

Come on it's not that hard to play a compelling dualistic character. Most people throughout history have viewed the world that way.
>>
>>54304178
funny enough polices officers are twice as likely to beat their wives as normal citizens.
>>
>>54299480
Eh, it's not that bad actually. Game happens first two Friday nights every month, second two weeks in the month I'm off shore babysitting pressure manifolds.
>>
>>54301425
lefty /pol please go.
>>
>>54304866
imagine that, a high stress environment has repercussions for your domestic life.
Who'd guessed?
>>
File: wojak_execution.jpg (26KB, 380x250px) Image search: [Google]
wojak_execution.jpg
26KB, 380x250px
>>54304895
all /pol/ need to be put out of their misery.
>>
>>54301664

>of
>parrents

t. Uneducated classcuck
>>
>>54304178
It's the job. Stupid shit like arrest quotas encourages you to become a petty asshole.
>>
>>54298836
Kitchen porter with a casual contract. You have no idea what days you'll be working until about a week in advance, and your end of shift is entirely dependent on how much work there is left once kitchen's closed for the night. Then you have to get to wherever you're gaming at, and if you're working tomorrow you might just as well say that you won't be there.

I speak from personal experience. I may need to find a new job.
>>
>>54301762

Shifts for EMTs in my area (I am one) are 24 hours--my schedule right now is 24 on, 24 call, 48 off, for example.
>>
File: draigo.jpg (361KB, 1914x1044px) Image search: [Google]
draigo.jpg
361KB, 1914x1044px
>>54304993
>arrest quotas
>>
>>54298836
I suppose working shifts where you have to switch every week is a bitch.
>>
File: 1966194975.jpg (184KB, 804x536px) Image search: [Google]
1966194975.jpg
184KB, 804x536px
I've read a few stories of troops playing D&D while stationed somewhere.

I'm sure some ex-military fa/tg/uys will come out of the woodwork now, how common is this?
>>
>>54305030
Yes, police are given arrest quotas because they earn money for the city through fines, tickets, etc. The more people your bring in who have to pay bail or that you give tickets, the more money you make for the city. It gets to the point where smaller cities and towns go out of their way to bullshit charges or get super petty to make arrests or give out fines.
>>
>>54305073
Depends on the station, super common in more peaceful areas. It was almost nonexistent in and around The Korengal.
>>
>>54305073
Macaroni anon, where are you?
>>
>>54305073
My entire unit has about twelve different groups running multiple games each. That's just a battalion.
>>
File: Bazooka Charlie.png (417KB, 978x1527px) Image search: [Google]
Bazooka Charlie.png
417KB, 978x1527px
>>54305073
Pretty common. Hurry up and wait is a thing, as is being stuck on some Godforsaken hill for weeks looking for hajjis trying to shoot down everything larger than a sparrow. Dice and character sheets are easy to pack (and can be lost and replaced with no issue), and you can use a watch to randomize numbers if you really have nothing else. If you don't have internet access to shitpost on /k/, you might as well be a bard.
>>
>>54305073
incredibly common. warhammer 40k is also hugely popular in the US military. on deployment you don't always have regular access to internet or electricity and tabletop games reign supreme in those situations.
>>
>>54298871
Shit dude, I knew a guy who worked as the driver for a coroner/funeral director. Nothing fazes him anymore. It's like he went to war or something.
>>
>twf working as a lab technicians
>2/2 work week, frequently take extra shifts to pay rent
>friday night is a myth
>>
>>54304834
The point was that that kind of personality severely limits the amount of characters you can/would want to effectively rp.
>>
>>54303282

That's weird, almost every sparky I know is a massive autist. They're all into vidya and tabletop gaming.
>>
>>54305219
What sort of lab are you working in anon and is that 2 days or 2 weeks? I work in an assay lab, work eight on six off and I've got no problems setting aside time for game nights.
>>
>>54304178
Why is that? I mean my personal sample size is only two vets and one cop, but the vets were much chiller guys and one of them had a pretty nuanced take on life, while the cop was almost hilariously stereotypical in his black and white moral views. Like a guy who definitely drank the cop kool-aid and adopted the "us vs. them" mindset.
>>
>>54305073
>I'm sure some ex-military fa/tg/uys will come out of the woodwork now, how common is this?

EXTREMELY

>>54298836

IT people are the worst. Because they can't stay off their fucking phones - either because they're addicted to tech or because they're constantly getting work calls. I had a storage guy in my group who ended up getting called back in to work 3 nights in 4, and in general he's on his phone 2 hours of every 5 during gaming nights. I've games with a high-tier networking guy who ended up canceling on 5 straight nights because he'd constantly be in disaster recovery for a client, or a client would be insisting on on-site service from a high-level tech and he was the highest non-management guy in the company.

I'd rather have somebody who knows that their schedule is shit and so doesn't show up at all (on 24 hours notice; like most min-wage people will have to every now and then), than somebody who shows up and is staring at a screen or talking on their cell all the damn time.

On the other side of things there are no "best" RPG player/job combos, because everybody is going to have issues that'll make other people hate them. For example, I love having theatre people in my group, even though they tend (not universally, but certainly more common than most) toward SJW bullshittery. But the quality of roleplay when you get a half-dozen professional actors around the table is just astounding.
>>
>>54305314
>On the other side of things there are no "best" RPG player/job combos

9-5, guaranteed 40-hour/week office wageslave. Set schedule, plenty of free time to play games, shit job so they have to imagine everything anyway, usually fat so you don't have to worry about them going on vacations too often.

With that said, yeah, I can see your point in wanting actors around the table. They may universally be leftist cucks who'll be first against the wall when the theocracy comes, but it stands to reason they'd be good at that whole part of a roleplaying game where you play a role. Probably anyone involved in a creative field would be gold to have at a table, one or two at a time. Can you imagine a film propmaker doing group maps, or having a professional artist for character portraits?
>>
>>54305420
>Can you imagine a film propmaker doing group maps

Didn't the reverse happen for The Lord of the Rings?

Pretty sure the guys who made the models of Minas Tirith were wargamers. Talk about a dream job.
>>
>>54304370
This. People shit on cops, but they don't have to do a cops job everyday.

To look in the face of scum, and hear their shitty half excuses and pretend that you don't already know that they're guilty, because everyone is equal under the law. Just dealing with the same shitty people making the same shitty decisions day after day.

It's honestly a credit to most police forces that police brutality isn't more wide spread.
>>
>>54298836
Investment banker
>>
>>54305302
I think you've got to drink the kool-aid or you wash out/give up.
>>
>>54305314
>IT people are the worst.

Fuck off and die.

If you don't like us being on our phones all the time, maybe you should be a non shit GM and hold our attention better.
>>
Postgrad Student / Software Developer here

My schedule is ridiculous, there'll be weeks where I do a straight 7.30-4 workday and nothing else, and then other weeks where I'm working almost 24-7. EOFY deadlines are the worst.

I've basically given up on joining groups for the time being.
>>
>>54298993
Can confirm.

Being a chef makes it a nightmare to schedule anything. I haven't been able to game in years because I can't commit to a set day. Feels bad man.
>>
>>54305516

If an IT person gets a call that a server's down or something's gone wrong, they can't just ignore it. Imagine trying to tell potentially thousands of users they couldn't access their internet banking because you were roleplaying.

It sucks, but I get it
>>
>>54305516
Stop being autistic and lay off the screen, my dude.

t. chemical engineer
>>
>>54305420
>Probably anyone involved in a creative field would be gold to have at a table

Sure, it sounds good, until you actually have to deal with them. Nobody who works in a creative field is in any way emotionally stable. You have to be a complete narcissist to succeed in those fields (think about all the rejection they're going to get, and they have to think of themselves as not-shit to keep going, even when even the best creatives have a failure-success ratio of about 10:1), and you don't want narcissists at your table.

They aren't worth it. You need logical, smart, dependable people at a table, so you should pretty much screen your table by job and not accept anyone who isn't a traditional office worker or an IT professional.
>>
>>54304631
>Implying black cops aren't extra racist
>>
>>54305558
>Imagine trying to tell potentially thousands of users they couldn't access their internet banking because you were roleplaying.
>It sucks, but I get it

I get you, but at the same time, if I had players like >>54305314 is describing, I wouldn't want them at my table either. Hell, we've kicked people like that. Nobody minds a work call once in a while, but if you're constantly getting calls that last for hours every session, then you're hurting the experience of everyone else at the table.

If you can't actually commit to a session and commit to paying attention at that session, then you shouldn't be playing. It DOES suck, but your job isn't a license to make everyone else's table experience miserable either.
>>
>>54305566

You can fuck off too.

It's my right to be on a screen as much as I want to be, and fuck you for saying otherwise. I'll pay attention when it's my turn, and until it is, I've got more interesting shit I can be doing.
>>
>>54298836
That could be pretty bad, I guess. No idea what a cop's ops tempo is.

I've missed sessions here and there because of my own job's ops tempo. Fortunately military groups tend to be understanding.

I play a mix of online and meatspace, but there's a career transition in my future that may find me with more meatspace opportunities.
>>
>>54305685
kek this is some pretty weak b8.
>>
>>54305699

Truth isn't bait.
>>
>>54305657

Yeah I know. That's why I don't commit to groups at the moment, it would be unfair.
>>
>>54298836
I used to work on an attack submarine. 60+ hour work week while also being on call 24/7 while in port with 1-8 week random underways and 6-7 month deployments makes it basically impossible to ever do anything.
>>
>>54305685
Pathetic. Do everyone a favor at your table and quit playing. I pity your GM
>>
>>54299543

Have you considered kickign him from the group if he has to leave mid-session that often? It's detracting from your enjoyment and disrupting of the group, even fi it's for a 'good cause', which would be gorudns to kick out ANYONE, regardless, IMO.
>>
>>54305685
>It's my right to be on a screen as much as I want to be
You're goddamn right it is, just like it's your GM's right to ban screens during the game or to give players the boot for using them instead of playing the game, and fuck anyone for saying otherwise.

If you've got more interesting shit you could be doing, go do that instead of coming to game night. You'll be happy because you're entertained, the other players will be happy because you aren't being a distraction, and your GM will be happy because all the players are engaged. Everyone wins.
>>
>>54305688
>No idea what a cop's ops tempo is.
Around here it's something like six days on, four days off.
>>
>>54305314
>I love having theatre people in my group,

Left wing cuckstain detected
Nobody who works in entertainment, education, or the arts even qualifies as a "person", much less be someone you should actually want to be around ever.
>>
>>54305902
Don't respond to b8 m8.
Every knows about those shit players
>>
File: IMG_0997.jpg (198KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0997.jpg
198KB, 1200x900px
American cops need to realise that they aren't soldiers and their department needs to stop buying assault rifles and tanks. No other country has anywhere close the number of officer involved shootings as the US, it's like 1500 people a year. An oppressive state like China had like 2 people die from a cop shooting them in 2015 IIRC and UK went 25 years before one of their cops killed someone iirc

Trivia time: is pic related in the streets of Baghdad, an Afghani village or a small American suburb?
>>
>>54306114
What's this got to do with roleplaying?

If anything it implies cops are good at playing dress up.
>>
>>54306114

(you)
>>
>>54306114

As long as they're killing people who aren't part of my demographic, I don't care. The more people unlike me who they kill off, the better.

Also, fuck off for being unable to stay on the actual topic.
>>
>>54306229
What a horrible thing to think and say even as trolling. You should honestly feel ashamed
>>
File: SETTLE_IT_IN_SMASH.webm (3MB, 224x400px) Image search: [Google]
SETTLE_IT_IN_SMASH.webm
3MB, 224x400px
>>54306114

I wonder why cops need to be armed like soldiers, couldn't possibly have anything to do with the people they have to deal with...
>>
>>54305314
>>54305420
Eh, not every actor is a leftist. There's a good percentage who pretend to have leftist views purely so they can keep getting roles. They can convince you by virtue of their profession.

And not all are narcissists either, but it does tend to corrupt people the more comfortable they get up the ladder. You just kinda get used to having your ass licked 24/7. The amount of bootlicking, I assure you, is immense.

t. Film actor who met and worked with a couple few hollywood actors.
>>
>>54306027

How's that STEM degree going?
>>
>>54305073
As someone who runs games on the internet, very. I keep running across ex-military types, or deal with people still in the military who get treated like shit because they're not on the sharp end with guns.

My theory is that it's escapism that lets you escape the reality of life in wherever, and the fact that it requires basically no infrastructure at all.
>>
>>54306368

Pretty good, thanks.

When it gets tough, I console myself with the big piles of money that I have the potential to earn, instead of waiting tables and begging for money on GoFundMe like artists do.
>>
>>54302099
What's your political views, out of curiosity
>>
>>54305685
>It's my right to be on a screen as much as I want to be

> On the screen at work
> On the screen at home
> On the screen at gaming night
No wonder you're glastly pale, fat, and avoided by everyone because of the persistent body odour and poor social skills.
Even on 4chan you're badly adjusted. Women only talk to you when they want things fixed.

>I'll pay attention when it's my turn
No. Fuck off out of my game if you can't be without your phone.

>>54306114
>Trivia time: is pic related in the streets of Baghdad, an Afghani village or a small American suburb?
The fact that the road is paved and that you've got people dressed all tacticool but obviously not knowing what the fuck they're doing, and the fat idiots wandering around on the road in the background show it's the USA.
The word 'POLICE' in big white letters on their vests is also a dead giveaway.

>>54302099
Last 'professional RPG writer' I played with started a campaign with all sorts of fancy DM tools and requiring accounts for multiple places and webcam and microphone, and then dropped it after one session.
>>
>production assistant on feature film
>12 hours a day
>either work all day or work all night
>>
>>54306459
>feature film
Is that euphemism for porno?
>>
>>54306229
Even though you're trolling about black people, cops kill more white people than black people by shooting each year, so you should probably care
>>
>>54306475
No, it's a term for a full-length 90+ film
>>
>>54306475
Naw porn shoots are a couple hours max.
>>
>>54306480
>implying criminals are in my demographic
>>
>>54305685

You do have the right to be on your screen when you want to be, and other people have to right not to play with you because of it, and the right to say something about.
>>
>>54306515
Pirates XXX is over 2 hours I'm no expert but that's like one of the two pornos I remember by name
>>
>>54306552
That doesn't mean they shoot for two months, 5 days a week. More like 80 minutes at a time over a day or two.
>>
Correction officer here. Rotating shifts are a bitch. Impossible to get my group together until I come up on my sat/sun swing.
>>
>>54300123
Anon, I'm sorry you have autism, but sometimes when people say "the rest is history" they mean "the rest is history among my friend group".

>>54304178
I don't know any cops, but I did know a guy in high school who wanted to be one, and he fit the description to a T. (I'm not going to make sweeping judgements on cops from that one piece of anecdata, but it does make me think...)

>>54305516
What the fuck is your GM doing that's so boring you end up checking your phone? Rambly exposition?
Even so you should man the fuck up and tell the GM instead of being passive aggressive about it.

Or do you mean combat? You know you're meant to spend other people's turns thinking about your options, right?
>>
>>54306480
>Even though you're trolling about black people

I was telling the truth about my demographic. Which is upper-middle class (140k post-tax household income), male, white, post-secondary educated, STEM professionals.

When police start killing people like me in job lots, then I'll care. Until then, I won't. I'm I'm not expecting that to change, since I and the people like me don't commit crimes requiring immediate police reasponse in the first place, because those other people bring it on themselves more often than not, and because there's lots of those other people so - as a sheer mathematical fact - they're expendable. As far as the math is concerned, the police can kill off a million poverty-line people a year, and precisely nothing of economic value would be lost.
>>
>>54306027
What the fuck?
Ok, looks like you should stop playing games that require creativity. You know, these games made by non-persons.
>>
>>54305480
Cops spend 90% of their time doing paperwork or breaking up parties. You've been tricked by Dirty Harry and cop shows.

The fact of the matter is that police recruit low-income, low IQ high school grads who kinda just want to be "the man". When it turns out being "the man" sucks, they end up being dicks to everyone. That's what changes them.
>>
File: b60.jpg (16KB, 233x280px) Image search: [Google]
b60.jpg
16KB, 233x280px
>>54298836
Debt collector.
I even played the god of Bureaucracy
>>
>ITT: hell is other people

I'll take anyone who doesn't smell too bad, doesn't touch other people's shit without permission and can show up within 1 hour of arranged schedule most of the times.
>>
>>54306606
I'm taking my states Trooper exam in October and that's one of my big fears, that I'll just turn into an asshole. Just graduated college, did really well. Eventually I want to work for the FBI.
>>
>>54306597
I'm curious, do you care if the violence against lower class individuals is justified or not? Or do you not care because "muh economic numbers" mister super cool STEM professional?

I mean if you only permit justified violence, that's fine. But otherwise, I'm afraid there are constitutional issues you might want to examine.
>>
>>54298836

I've DM'd 2 players who were pretty much opposite of each other, one was a theif the other a town guard. A town guard is basically a cop. It was tough but I managed to get them working together by introducing a plot that connected them both. DMing a town guard was actually pretty fun, the theif on the other hand was interesting (I hit him with several moral decisions) but DMing a group of city knights or town guard could be neat.
>>
>>54306681
Hope your IQ/test scores aren't too high.
>>
>>54306597
>Which is upper-middle class (140k post-tax household income), male, white, post-secondary educated, STEM professionals.
Just to sate my morbid curiosity, how did you end up on 4chan of all places?
>>
>>54306597
>STEM grad

Hope you enjoy your automation, luddite. As a showbiz guy I have no fears.
>>
>>54306808
Posting here as a teen and never really stopping.
I make more than that guy in finance and I guarantee I'm at least twice as racist and autistic.
I just jerk the right dicks and lick the right boots in real life then come here to unwind.
>>
>>54305030
My country has conviction quotas for judges. How about that?
>>
File: ibew_logo_JPG.jpg (379KB, 1090x1120px) Image search: [Google]
ibew_logo_JPG.jpg
379KB, 1090x1120px
>>54303282
>>54305259
Another Sparky here. I generally keep my power level on the downlow, but recently I had left a D&D book in the back of my car and it got spotted by a Fitter. I ended up roped into running a game for a bunch of guys on the job who had never played but always wanted to try.

My group is...

Fighter (Polearm specialist) - Pipe Fitter
Rogue (Assassin) - Laborer
Warlock (Tome) - Tinknocker
Cleric (Life) - Sprinkler Fitter
Sorcerer (Dragon) - Carpenter/That Guy
>>
>>54306597
>When police start killing people like me in job lots, then I'll care. Until then, I won't

The "I'll care when it starts affecting me" rationalization is how things get so fucked to begin with. If it reaches the point where amoral shits like you are being killed by the police it's too late. Democracy doesn't really work when no one cares about anyone else, because there's absolutely nothing to prevent outright tyranny or the slow decay of civil liberties.
>>
>>54306766
Lower class anon here (white male, high school, 35k/year).
The young black male demographic commits crimes at over 6x the rate of any other. Upper class whites are insulated from this (and the emergent effects of large black populations) because they can afford to live in areas too expensive for blacks. Lower class whites are screwed, because non-economic forms of segregation are banned for us.

Violence against this criminal demographic may be pure calculation to the upper class (hence white leftist upper class opposition to segregation), but it would vastly improve safety and quality of life for the white, Asian, and Spanish working classes.
>>
>>54301950
Most social workers burn out on average after 4 years. I watched one literally go from empowered mid thirties adult to that one screwloose aunt who requires a form of legal guardianship inside of a year because of the work.
>>
>>54301664
t.murderous Parasite leeching off our common parent the state
>>
>>54305590
I would absolutely screen every single IT person if I could. Honestly the worst game players of all time.
>>
>>54306907
>slow decay of civil liberties.
Civil liberties aren't slowly decaying they're being flushed down some sort of super high speed toilet.

The biggest "reform" candidate of the last decade abandoned anything like his reform and actively pushed extrajudicial killings.
>>
One local has house that's like 10000 square with three above ground floors, two underground floors, pool, gym, shooting range, some sort of large safe/vault, kitchen the size of my whole damn 2+1, separate wing where his old folks live and couple other noteworthy things I'm forgetting. He hosts tourneys on regular. Nobody knows what he does for living. Nobody asks.
>>
>>54306394
Bro, I have a Master's Degree in a STEM field and I had to settle with being a goddamn high school math teacher because NOBODY is hiring.

Do not use potential future money as a consolation to your current pain, that way lies madness.
>>
>>54307005
I was going to call bullshit. But pretty much half of all the IT guys I've played with are secretly that guy.
>>
The guy who runs my LARP is a CO for the county jail and besides the weird wolf obsession, some obvious thin blue line oversight, and the dumb restrictions he has on throwing weapons, he's a pretty decent guy and we talk about Berserk.
>>
>>54298871

Funeral Director / Embalmer here,

Industry sucks for apprentices. You're treated like shit and told to like it or lose your apprenticeship. You also work with some of the worlds most dramatic people that border insanity.

Only thing thats nice about my job is my clients dont talk back and its fun to tell people what I do.
>>
>>54307084
Throwing weapons can hit someone in the eye, he's liable if someone gets hurt. Even nerf hurts when you get hit in the eye.
>>
>>54307115
>clients dont talk back
>Embalmer

I'd be afraid if they did!
>>
>>54307126
Eat ass. We have restrictions on all weapons to make them eye safe. Headshots are legal for arrows, javelins, chakrams, and spells. All thrown weapons have courtesy padding. Weapons are class restricted. I want slings because chakrams are restricted to archers and javelins are stupid inaccurate for the 10 feet minimum range.
>>
>>54307079
Glad you see it too. Every single one is a mouthbreathing snake in the grass.
>>
>>54306830
Neural Networks will be able to write scripts for free and CGI can immortalize famous actors. What kind of showbiz can't be automized?
>>
>>54307330
Quality
>>
>>54307330
>What kind of showbiz can't be automized?

I was going to say, "live theatre", but then I remembered that human-intelligent, human-emotive androids will be a thing and would technically count as automation, and thus disqualify live theatre from disqualification.

Much in the same manner that androids which are fully human-intelligent and human-emotive would automate away literally EVERY JOB IN EXISTENCE.
>>
>>54306681
>Doesn't want to be an asshole
>Wants to be in the FBI

Kidding, kidding. But seriously, Zach, have you ever considered being a film critic, instead?
>>
>>54307365
Including IT so I don't know what these STEM shitrags are so smug about
>>
>>54307381
>But seriously, Zach, have you ever considered being a film critic, instead?

He said, "DOESN'T want to be an asshole."
>>
>>54307330
>What kind of showbiz can't be automized?
Man greater than myself once said - by the time artificial intelligence will be capable of giving genuinely toe-curling blowjob it will be so advanced it's likely gonna become self-aware in the middle of it.
>>
File: 1434952074925.jpg (149KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
1434952074925.jpg
149KB, 500x628px
>>54306027
Show me where the poet touched you.
>>
>>54307475
They touched their heart
>>
>>54298836

Taxi driver was pretty bad. 60+ hour work weeks with a specific emphasis on working the weekends in cities where taxis are mostly used for going to and from bars. For the six-month period I was driving I was able to show up to a saturday game exactly once.

You do get lots of time to plan games and make campaign notes during the 3-6AM stretch when nobody is calling, but no time to use them.
>>
>>54307356
Auto workers used to say this
>>
File: 1499201687140-fit.jpg (24KB, 365x290px) Image search: [Google]
1499201687140-fit.jpg
24KB, 365x290px
>>54306777
What do you mean?
>>
>>54302919
Man I'm sorry you work at Applebee's but no reason to be a dick.
>>
>>54305954
If it's that disrupting, just make sure he isn't pivotal to the story or situation, that way he just fades into the background, kinda like how you treat restrained murdehobos.
>>
File: Sorry Not Sorry.gif (573KB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
Sorry Not Sorry.gif
573KB, 245x184px
>>54307887
Average table at my restaurant is still pulling down $100+ a head, we're just not so pretentious that we only operate for 4 hours 5 days a week and demand that the guests meet our schedule.
>>
>>54306896
>the carpenter is the That Guy

That makes more sense than I thought it would

>signed, Operating Engineer
>>
>>54307049
What field did you go into anon? ChemEng here and I had three job offers before I graduated. My employer paid for me to keep going to school for my masters.
>>
>>54308040
Dude it's OK, we still love you. Just because no one cares about how your $100 well done steaks stack up to some other dude doesn't mean I don't love you.
>>
>>54308767
Biocomputing, with an undergrad in mathematics.

I went into grad school because I finished my undergrad in the middle of the 2008 recession. After finishing my masters I spent 6 months using 100% of my savings (while paying student loans) looking for a job in my field. Took a gig as a substitute because I had to put food on the table while I continued the search for a real job. After finishing out the school year as a substitute and finding nothing, I took the few steps necessary to be a teacher while continuing to look for a job in STEM.

It's been about 4 years now and until this year I've spent every summer and break looking for a STEM career, I've never even gotten a call back or asked for an in-person interview.
>>
>>54308660
Carps are always the scabbiest motherfuckers on the job. I've been on the edge of kicking him for about a month now. He has been trying to fuck every female NPC he comes across and gets rectally ravaged that being a dick to people has consequences that include getting ran out of town for trying to molest the mayor's daughter.
>>
File: 1490052788580.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1490052788580.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>>54305685
>>
>>54307115
Are you a woman? I think I know you.
>>
>>54302099
t. unemployed need leeching off parents
>>
>>54306411
I don't really have any. No mainstream politician or party shares my views and partisan bickering annoys me so I just stay away from it.
>>
>>54309722
No, I have a day job too. It pays better and provides health insurance, but being able to knock out 20K here or there for a couple hundred dollars is a worthwhile hobby.
>>
>>54305685

Unscheduled downtime.
>>
Reading this thread has made me want to respec.
>>
>>54309883
I know that feel. I mean, I'm fine with my attribute distribution, but I really should have gone for different background.
>>
>>54309917

Nothing major I can do about my attribute distribution now, but I should change classes. Or at least multi-class since I've essentially reached a dead end.
>>
>>54298836
That's not how you spell long-haul truck driver.
>>
>>54309917

Go for it, anon!
>>
>>54310156
>not playing over CB
>not having DM Dispatch keep you going through the long nights with stories of elven maidens and fierce dragons

You are no Bandit, you deserve Smokey
>>
>>54310246
Most of the places I'm sent don't have good enough signal, and my dispatch are just the worst fucking people.
>>
>>54310290
Get a monkey to sit in the cab with you and roll on the random encounter table.
>>
>>54305314
Can confirm theater people complaints. In High School and my early college days I had great ambitions of being an actor. Then I realized that it was too hard to get money out of it and everyone was a subhuman commie.
>>
>>54306271
You must be new here.
>>
>>54309917
Just die and make up a new character, he can join next session.
>>
I work in an injection molding factory. Not tiny molds making little plastic men, but 50+ ton monster molds and ovens spitting out front grilles for buses and semi trucks. Cram 20+ of these monsters into a shitty warehouse with no ventilation that runs 24/7 and have to inhale cancer causing purge all day. The temperature is always 20+ degrees higher than outside and we've been hitting 90s all month. If you don't work 12 hour shifts and the weekend you are considered a pussy by the office people who live in air-conditioned boxes and you will never see a raise or promotion.

By the time I get home all I want to do is sleep until my next shift.
>>
>>54299517
enjoy your ban
>>
>>54306606
It's not the Dirty Harry shit that fucks you up. It's the never ending grind of the same few couples having the same domestics, the same few addicts stealing TVs from the same few neighbors, and the same chucklefucks who feel the need to argue over the minutiae of minor violations you wouldn't even cite them for if they just fucking left.

Not to forget, of course, the young men who normally would be perfectly fine but somehow go straight to 'I will fight you, pig' because their girl is around. But those are generally evened out by the girl reacting like the guy is a complete idiot.
>>
>>54306869
Japan?

>>54306896
>but recently I had left a D&D book in the back of my car and it got spotted by a Fitter.
Of course, everyone knows that Fitters are a smarter and higher class sort of worker.
>>
File: stk temps.png (904KB, 745x1073px) Image search: [Google]
stk temps.png
904KB, 745x1073px
>>54307887
maybe thats why he works at a grizzlebees in senators country instead of a more upscale venue - everything he puts down is salty as fuck!

seriously though.
>>54308040
should stage at a fine dining venue some time. see what it's really like when you stop burning 6oz sirloins and start burning both ends of your fucking candle. it'll make a man of you yet.
>>
>>54308963
Did you go to a disreputable college?
>>
>>54308963
Isn't biocomputing more research at a university than working for a business anyways? Hate to say it, but there seems to be an unwritten rule that once you grab a job outside of your degree most places won't hire you because you are "out of practice"
>>
>>54307821
Law enforcement tend not to hire people who score too well or have above average IQ scores.
>>
>>54311701
And what you just described isn't a difficult or dangerous. It's just a job.

It's less dangerous than logging. The Dirty Harry shit just makes it seems like it's not living up to fantasies, and also makes it like they're facing dangerous stakes every single day.
>>
>>54307821
At a guess, they've found that people below a certain IQ are more likely to follow orders and do just that, whereas someone smarter might try to think outside the box and potentially cause more problems. Police officers are meant to enforce the law, not interpret it, and certainly not add to it.
>>
>>54306597
>Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
>>
>>54306896
What is a tinknocker?
>>
>>54313243
Difficult and dangerous doesn't wreck you, it gets rationalized and dealt with.

The grind of dangerous stupids that you deal with over and over because they plea deal out or nobody will testify is what wrecks you.

It's a job where you go out for dinner with your wife and have to pretend you're not going to be at the waiter's house six hours from now to toss him in the back of the car while your backup tries to keep his girlfriend from hitting you with a frying pan because you arrested her man after she called you to arrest her man. And the whole time you're busy double checking for snot in everything you get served.

Honestly, I have no idea how max security CO's do it. Aside from alcoholism.
>>
>>54313675
Sheet metal guy, mostly ductwork.
>>
>>54313336
cultured fuck.
>>
>>54304939
I genuinely believe the world would be a better place if everyone who frequented /pol/ died
>>
>>54313336

First they came for the blacks and I said nothing because I am not a black
Then they came for the Mexicans and I said nothing because I am not a Mexican
Then they came for the feminists and I said nothing because I am not a feminist
Then they came for the Jews and I said nothing because I am not a Jew
Then they stopped coming for people because all of society's problems were solved
>>
Pro-bodybuilder.
You have no schedule issues but is a pain in the ass when you get into a new gaming group:
>Everyone assumes that you are a feeble minded jock
>Everyone assumes that you only play martials without any strategy
>The hungry skeletons and fatties feel so inappropriate around you they suddenly shift to passive aggressive attitude.
>>
>>54313836
Then ((they)) are one step closer to 'winning'.
>>
>>54312915
Nope, I went to the most reputable STEM school within about a 3 state radius.

>>54313179
Towards the end of my job hunting I was applying to anything even remotely resembling biocomputing or mathematics from corporations to universities and from research to production, nobody ever even responded.

>seems to be an unwritten rule that once you grab a job outside of your degree most places won't hire you because you are "out of practice"
Well, if that's true it just reiterates my original point: STEM is not the magical field of guaranteed jobs and +$80K salary land that your professors tell you it is. I had a half dozen professors telling me that I had what it takes and that jobs were gonna be falling into my lap. I was one of the brightest and fastest learners that they had taught (or so a couple had outright told me) in several years. I did the work, I got the grades, I had the drive, and I had the brains. It was a sure thing.

A few of them were puzzled that I wasn't getting calls back those first 6 months and was still looking for a job while I was in the area before finances forced me to move away to a cheaper area to live while I resorted to subing. A couple tried to put me into contact with friends that ran businesses, but the businesses all ended up going under around the time I graduated or just straight up weren't looking to hire. One tried to get me a job at the University, but they had a hiring freeze about a month before I graduated.

So now I'm a high school math teacher who lives hours away from his gaming group and has, by sheer necessity, worked for 4 years off degree. My only hope for getting into a STEM career at this point would likely be going back for a PhD, but I have little to no spare cash because my massive student loans from a crazy expensive STEM program eat all of the discretionary cash that I would be otherwise making on my $40k salary.

But I have summer off and two weeks for Christmas going for me, so that's nice.
>>
>>54304631
Didn't you know? The NAACP says black cops aren't real black people
>>
>>54313836
I wish we could lock up people on both sides of the horseshoe, because honestly they are all equally awful people.

Honestly, there's a reason why they call it /leftypol/, because they are just as evil, cancerous, and idiotic as /pol/, and do nothing but prove the truth of horseshoe theory
>>
>>54305014
I do rotational 4 on 4 off for 12's. He might be a volunteer also, I've had to leave one or two sessions for house fires back when I rode the volley side.
>>
>>54306830
My friend, automation requires highly qualified people to set up and run, not the other way around. STEM graduates are pretty safe.
>>
>>54313934
Bullshit. Bodybuilders are self-esteem issues faggets in denial, hence nobody likes you not even as a roleplayer.
>>
>>54305302
Vets =/= cops. Vets cover a wider ramge of job duty and function than a police officer. The police officer has a massively different mentality than a vet.
>>
>>54298993

Jesus Chriust Favreu it's just a fucking grilled cheese sandwich
>>
File: fishonhead.png (213KB, 394x391px) Image search: [Google]
fishonhead.png
213KB, 394x391px
>>54300123
how socially unadjusted do you have to be to act like this?
>>
>>54314203
That's a pretty ironic post.
>>
>>54307049
your issue was going masters. Bachelors is where you should stop else you end up in the humanities situation of "your degree is only useful in academics"
>>
>>54307049
>tfw masters degree in a stem field
>had a job lined up before even graduating
>It's not deskbound
Life is great
>>
>>54300123
you must be fun at parties, anon. how long was your last friendship lasted?
>>
>>54314684
My what ?
>>
>>54298871
>>54307115
Former property manager here, once found a tenant dead for two weeks.
How do you guys move bodies like that wearing shirt, tie, and dress pants? I only saw the two guys stuff their ties in their breast pocket and put on blue nitrile gloves before the cops told us to go around the back. One of the funeral home guys can't be older than mid-twenties.
Also, that tenant was a big guy, and was on a narrow set of stairs, he filled the whole thing.
>>
>>54313927
Well, except for all those damn dirty seditious thinkers. Talking about how we shouldn't make Protestantism the state religion, or how banning all technology invented from the 1960s onwards is a bad idea, or how generational warfare and mission-specific thinking are shitty memes that have no basis in reality. We ought to tie 'em up and burn 'em at the stake!
>>
>>54307115
>Industry sucks for apprentices. You're treated like shit and told to like it or lose your apprenticeship.

I'm pretty sure this is apprenticeships everywhere. You either get a good boss or you're screwed.

Everything is always your fault, and the boss knows you need him to get qualified so you have no option but to suck it up and take it.
>>
>>54309148
I shudder to think what a plumber would be like.
>>
>>54315191
They are are okay. All the pipe trades, Electricians, Pipefitters, Plumbers, Sprinklefitters, and Steamfitters, are smart trades.
>>
>>54313934#
>Everyone is wrong but you.
Don't say what you said has to be wrong but considering how you just named everyone, maybe some self-reflection might help you.
>>
you guys have jobs?
>>
>>54305073
played it in the barracks, aye.
Kaserne vest, fokkers
>>
>>54298836
janitor at a very busy truck stop for full time. I get off at 11pm EST and no one runs games at that hour.
>>
>>54315649
Process research and development engineer in a large microelectronics research lab
>>
>>54305098
What the fuck. This makes me glad I live in one of those countries where law enforcement is considered a public service, not a business.
>>
File: carlos.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>54306896
>Fighter
>long narrow tube specialist

How fitting.
>>
>>54307079
>was going to call bullshit. But pretty much half of all the IT guys I've played with are secretly that guy.

What do we generally do that's so off-putting?
>>
>>54304993
What the fuck backwards country do you live in
>>
>>54307356
Of course. But do you really think that quality of most current profitable mass-oriented showbiz isn't something machines won't reach in 10-20 years?
>>
>>54298909
actually tons of cops are down with that whole modernism schtick, about believing in a societal etiquette/norm... so immersing into the belief about roles of character and universes isn't too far off for them.

Aka; some of them like vidya for similar immersion
>>
>>54307758
And look at the state of modern vehicles
>>
>>54306869
>>54305030
sounds like post-ussr
>>
>>54317200
Funny thing, most of the jobs the machines took in the auto industry were the unskilled jobs, aka where the humanities bachelor went when they realized their diploma was worthless.
>>
>>54304178

I would say this extends beyond police, because it also applies to people who have a boner for authoritarianism in general. I think it's just mental gymnastics. You can support some deeply hypocritical and downright cruel legislation once you've convinced yourself that there are only good people vs. bad people, and you can do it without having to feel guilty.

It also makes the world easier to deal with on a psychological level. You don't have to do anything to prevent crime if you convince yourself that some people are just evil. You can stay at home, go to church every once and awhile, and be one of the good ones.

It's a very easy way of keeping your ego intact too, because most of these people will tell you that they're good.
>>
>>54310156
My game club was actually run by a couple ex-military turned truck driver guys. The one running the show climbed the ladder to the point where he got the entire top floor of the truck depot converted into our gaming floor. Best part was it spread mostly through word of mouth, so you got good people coming in mostly. Mostly.
>>
>>54320163
>Mostly
Got any juicy story behind that?
>>
>>54320239
Nothing particularly juicy, sadly- just once in a blue moon you'd get some annoying kid who just got into 40k and you'd basically have to babysit him while his mother or grandma or whatever tried not to die of boredom in some corner.

The one story I can think of was when two regulars- who normally were pretty chill- almost got in a fistfight over a game of 40k. I don't remember the particulars anymore, other than a dispute over some rules escalated to the point where one of the guys was yelling at the other guy "You wanna take this outside?!"

It was only once, but you never forget the sight of two 45+ year old men getting in a fight over plastic army men.
>>
>>54305030
Police officers in the US are little more than racketeering agents for the government. Why do you think we make police cars with headlights hidden in the grilles instead of brightly covered vehicles like in Europe, particularly Germany? This is also why /pol/tards are so-called when they reveal their stupid selves in saying "muh violent niggers," because it's a bloated statistic used to justify funding, among other things, the private prison industrial complex.
>>
>>54298993
This. I haven't had a friday, saturday, or sunday off in two years. I work every holiday, my schedule can change at literally any time, and I'm on 14 hour shifts that end at 2am.
>>
>>54298909
Fuck off reddit
>>
>>54305073
You can actually be a professional wargamer, working for the DoD/Pentagon. You could be designing and playing wargames for an actual salary, and even serving your country too.

Most countries have some form of military research establishment, and lots do wargaming.
>>
>>54311701
What about when the girl starts shit then hides behind her man
>>
>>54320799
Doubt they would want to hire the average fa/tg/uy, wouldn't qualify.
>>54321875
Their job is to enforce the law and only that sadly. And Americans give cops about the same amount of respect as their teachers
>>
>>54321875
Yet to run into it. Only obnoxious thing I've found women to engage in is the compulsive need for middle-aged, middle-class, white women to act like the world revolves around them.
>>
>>54320464
How is the fact that 6% of the population commits 50% of its violent crime inflated by nonviolent arrests?

Resisting arrest isn't even counted in the FBI statistics. This is 50% of murders, beatings, and rapes we're talking about.
>>
>>54320533
Why? I can't imagine it pays that well
>>
File: 1474851857323.jpg (194KB, 623x414px) Image search: [Google]
1474851857323.jpg
194KB, 623x414px
>>54323451
My basic understanding from second hand knowledge is that the ghetto culture is a self perpetuating hellhole that actively fights change and self improvement. Had a roommate that was gay, nerdy and black. Wonderful person, but his sexuality and interests caused him nothing but problems growing up.
>>
>>54306114
>Le cops shouldn't be armed well meme
Fuck you, their lives are worth more than whatever scum they're dealing with.
>>
>>54323753
>ghetto culture is a self perpetuating hellhole that actively fights change and self improvement

fucking Amen

Black people are a cancer unto themselves.
>>
>>54323771
>>54323771
US arms them like batman. They have no idea if people have guns since concealed carry exists so they equip them to deal with anything
>>
>>54298909
bootlicker cuckservatives itt
why are you guys all such baby boomers?
>>
>>54323771
Small town cops don't need MRAPs
>>
>>54323837
What do CCW laws have to do with criminals who are going to ignore any law?
>>
>>54316011
Can't really say it isn't, law enforcement isn't free.
>>
>>54304178

I think that it is partly both but mostly the job that forms them. We can take for granted that the real world is full of moral indeterminacy and shades of grey but a cop has to make decisions on whether a person is good/bad/dangerous not only on daily basis but at lightning speed. A cop could pull over a seemingly non-threatening person on a traffic violation only to have them pull a gun and shoot. So it is necessary for a cop to be able to make an exceptionally fast assessment if the person they are dealing with is "good" or "bad" and continue to update that assessment efficiently as the situation changes. Spending too much time considering if a person is truely dangerous is risky when the people that you deal with on a daily basis might turn out to be a dangerous criminal who cuts and runs (endangering society once more) or attacks the cop.

I think that simply because a cop has to make these kind of decisions routinely and at a very fast speed that they need to come up with a "moral code" upon which to quickly make these decisions.

That isn't to say that cops are good/bad or even that they all have strict moral codes but that they need (by the nature of their job) to be able to decide whether someone is good or bad very fast. It's just how the demands of their job shape them.
>>
>>54323261
And they deserve even less respect. They'll happily give you a $150 ticket for going 40 in a 30 to meet their quotas, but when you have serious problems don't expect them to arrive until its much too late.

Theres exceptions to every rule, but most cops are moronic scumbags with big egos and bad attitudes. America should return to representing all cops as bumbling fuckheads in fiction.
>>
>>54325435
The police in the USA have several problems that don't exactly encourage people.

1. There is over 17'000 police and sheriff departments in the US.
2. These departments generally do not talk to each other when it comes to officers.
3.Internal investigation is handled by said police department themselves, generally causing conflicts of interest and if someone inside the force does report an officer, they can be labeled has a rat and be left for dead in emergency situations.
4.Some departments and police unions allow the purge of police misconduct files only after 18 months.
5. 'Gypsy cops' Police officers that generally leave one police department and join another as soon they have a misconduct file.
6. Prosecutors that have worked with the police are generally the ones who have to prosecute them when the trial does show up, which causes things to be awkward in the first place.
7. Police officers generally extrude a presence of innocence, while almost everyone else doesn't, causing most trials to die off before they begin and a jury that does see the uniform=innocent.
>>
>>54325435
>deserving less respect than teachers get
I wouldn't even condemn criminals to the worst of what they can get. The administration, students and their parents all shit all over them every day. Never get to retire, and by high school the students will start literal riots. It varies of course but at the end of the day the people shaping the future of our society are those with some of the worst job prospects you can get out of a degree. It's why I practically weep for >>54313989. Class sizes just keep rising and there's always new bullshit at the staff meetings. The only upside is the breaks. It's suicide in slow motion, with the time off to write a note. God help you if you ever find yourself sickly.
>>
>>54325792
I've heard that in some tests, grade school children would get so stressed out, they would literally start vomiting.
>>
>>54305073
first ship I was stationed on was a troop transport. 400 sailors and 900 marines on deployment for West Pac back in '88. I managed to run the entire War of the Lance module series while we were on deployment. Always had guys sliding in and out. think the average was about 7 guys-most I ever had to deal with at one time was 13. And I was just 1 GM. there were at least 2 other groups that I knew of

The marines also had a pretty active hex and counter board game crew going. the big game at the time was MBT from Avalon Hill. I even played a bunch of Advanced Squad Leader with some of the officer corps on board.

6 months of floating out in the ocean before the advent of laptops, tablets or iphones and you find ways to keep yourself entertained
>>
>>54313836
>>54314137

You two sound like anyone you could find on /pol/, you are not so special.
>>
>>54325726
Can't wait for public sector unions to fucking die
>>
>>54298993
>>54314406

this.

that .webm is the autistic overworking of an item that will be, no matter how much work is put intro it, plain old shit.
>>
>>54303238
This. Jobless fucks have no respect for someone else's time. Also students on summer/spring break.
>>
>>54306114
idiot liberal detected:
>small American suburb
bitch, that's Los Angeles. by showing them, you are automatically skewing your own data. They are the Alliance vs. the Horde down there....

nice propaganda, kike.
>>
>>54314912
true fact:
seditious thinkers come up with good ideas
leftists find ways to shit up society by perverting them.
>>
>>54325903
>ASLanon

you. you are the best poster. glad to see you here!
>>
>>54326240
It's kind of the whole culture behind it that's the problem.
>>
>>54326577
well thank you.....but I try not to namefag outside of /hwg/. I usually try to remember to drop it when I post outside of there.
>>
>>54298993
That's a very nice cheese toast.
Man, I'd love to have induction cookers.
>>
Life sciences.
Any kind. The field is so saturated at this point I know some people working 12-14 hrs benchwork to keep their postdoc. I'm starting to understand why everyone wants to go into corporate.
>>
>>54298993
>im a cook
>in the military
>schedules change every 2 months and i cant stay in a game for any longer because the hoirs are so inconvenient
Right now im working Fri, sat and sun for 14 hours and every other thursday for 9. Next month im working mon-fri from 10am to 7pm
>>
>>54298836
Working retail

>Never a set schedule
>Changes weekly
>Oops anons working graveyard for a couple days
>>
>>54300123
Where'd the history professor touch you anon?
>>
>>54328917
Right in the GPA.

It was horrible.
>>
>>54300123
Take your autism meds and reevaluate your life tbqh
>>
>>54317106
No, because the standard keeps changing. Otherwise CGI wank wouldn't be the meme it is. LOTR and Hobbit comparisons wouldn't be ridiculously fucking controversial.
>>
>>54306114
The skeptical part of me wonders if Chinese cops shoot to wound more often, or if they tend to use nonlethal means like batons instead. As for the UK police, someone could easily post that webm where a bunch of cops couldn't grab one guy despite surrounding him.
>>
>>54323480
it doesn't. but it's one of the best positions for those who are ex-cons, immigrants, and the morally and mentally ambiguous.
>>
>>54323480
You have to really love food/cooking to go into kitchens for a career.

Even then, pretty much every chef you meet will have a booze problem, and tons quit. Funnily enough they usually become either cops or carpenters, for whatever reason.

>>54331390
Druggies is the other big one (hospitality is one of the only industries where drug tests aren't a thing).
>>
>>54331289
Yeah, but CGI is definitely a STEM-heavy thing.
>>
>>54331373
"Shooting to wound" is shooting to miss
>>
Being restuarant manager at a hotel resturaunt. Open 7 days a week. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and overnight. O working nights is what really does it. Not a regular schedule doesnt help.
>>
>>54298836
Ever tried being a driver? Or worse - railway engine operator? Where technically you are doing nothing most of the time, but you still are in a fucking train, still driving for 12 hours straight, dying out of boredom, because while you are just following the railway, you can't even read a book and just watch the surroundings all the fucking time. Extra points of boredom if that's a long haul through empty dryland, where there is literally NOTHING to look at, but it's still the best entertainment you can get.

Also, when I was working in a diesel engine factory, after my shift I was so fucking tired all I wanted was sleep, shower after waking up, dinner/breakfast/whatever else, some more napping and going for another shift.
>>
>>54298836
I work away for 2 weeks then come home for 1 week. Trying to paint minis in a decent time frame is fucked
>>
>>54298836
IIRC Jonathan Brostoff said that being a professional politician makes people not trust you in games. Not necessarily that fellow players would think the politician would flat out cheat, but that the politician would betray his/her allies in games where that would be a concern.
>>
>>54306933
Been doing it for eight years now working with kids adjudicated through the courts and placed in custody for committing crimes. People who don't last are weak.
>>
>>54298909
Fuck off, Tyrone. How the hell did you get an internet connection in prison?
>>
>>54307013
Which candidate are you referring too?
>>
>>54311029
Sounds like a shitty job
>>
>>54311029
You have to inhale carcinogens? Where is this?
>>
Holy shit didn't think I'd find such a diversity of backgrounds on /tg/
>>
>>54311029
>Inhaling cancer in 12 hour shifts
I don't know if you're being literal, but preemptive RIP for you, factory worker
>>
>>54334484
I don't see why not.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.