[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 347
Thread images: 32

File: 1498114318442.jpg (61KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1498114318442.jpg
61KB, 400x300px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54282733

What famous settings that AREN'T D&D settings have you played D&D in?
>>
>>54289002
>What famous settings that AREN'T D&D settings have you played D&D in?
New York City
>>
>>54289002
Ravnica, eventually followed by Innistrad before the Plane Shift came out.
>>
>>54289061
Modern New York, or a fantasy equivalent?
The main city in my campaign (fantasy Renaissance) has been modeled after Seattle, but isn't ACTUALLY Seattle. Then again, a few years ago we played in "actual" Seattle, except it was Steampunk, and included neighborhoods that flatly shouldn't have existed in that era.
>>
>>54289099
Post-apocalyptic. It was just a silly one shot that one of my friends who doesn't normally DM ran. Wasn't bad.
>>
File: 1341868724805.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1341868724805.gif
1MB, 480x270px
How do you write the background of a character who is actually pretty amazing at stuff and is on some sort of quest because it's his fucking great destiny or whatever?

I usually just play as self interested characters who are just along for the ride because I don't like being THE CHOSEN ONE, but I've decided to play a Paladin for a change and I just can't write this shit without hating it.
>>
>>54289002
HRE
>>
>>54289002
Gensokyo.
>>
>>54289204
Did you get to join a crusade against magical muslims?
>>
File: tumblr_oneytvcMFN1unlm3do1_500.jpg (153KB, 500x673px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oneytvcMFN1unlm3do1_500.jpg
153KB, 500x673px
>>
File: wizard.jpg (19KB, 350x465px) Image search: [Google]
wizard.jpg
19KB, 350x465px
Rate my spell book. Human Wizard 1, 16 Int.

Firebolt, Light, Prestidigitation.

Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Identify, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Sleep.
>>
>>54289002

Zendikar level 15 one-shot. Was unfortunately ruined by our group's That Guy.
Mission was to investigate an old ruin to return a Hedron artifact from it. First encounter outside the ruin were a shitload of Goblins and Bugbears our DM put there to let us mess around with, since he wanted to have something for everyone to use their character on (this one meant for our Barbarian to easily slaughter shit and my Bard to use his entire spell list full of psychic spells on). The other fucker, however, decided to play a Bladelock (obviously with a scythe), ran into the middle of all of them turn 1, cast Circle of Death, killed every single enemy except for 1 bugbear and stole several hundred HP from them, which meant he was ultimately able to just face-tank the Beholder/Eldrazi final boss and everything before it, meaning everyone had just about every spell slot and feat left to just shit out on the boss and killing it before it got its second turn.
>>
>>54289197
Honestly, you don't. D&D is a group-based game. You're NOT the chosen one.

>>54289238
Keep it in the last thread. I'm the one who posted the 2e pictures, but we don't want to become /pfg/, do we?
>>
>>54289197
Hermit Background, ask the DM what you know.

Congrats, you now have dangerous knowledge, and the powers of evil will try to stop you.
>>
>>54289248
We're not autistic like they are, not all of us, and Planescape art should be shared.
>>
File: 1472922013900.jpg (127KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1472922013900.jpg
127KB, 640x640px
>>54289002
Kingdom Hearts, I don't even like this shit, but the game was fun
>>
>>54289248
>Honestly, you don't. D&D is a group-based game. You're NOT the chosen one.
Maybe play him as some guy who misunderstood some prophecy and believes he is the "chosen one" or whatever, but is really just some stronger-than-average schlub
>>
>>54289246
>ruined
I fail to see any problem with anything that happened here.

>>54289204
What was that like?
>>
>>54289002

I guess slightly related, but also a question....

Has anyone ever played/run a D&D game on a ringworld/dyson ring? I have a desire to run one, but I don't know if players would find it literally too linear.
>>
>>54289278
You'd have to have a group willing to put up with a character who keeps trying to be the center of attention. Could be fun with the right group, but completely horrible with other groups.

>>54289225
Let's be honest, they'd be too busy fighting each other.
>>
>>54289197
>>54289248
Try Chosen One"s". Your Paladin knows there are others whom heard the calling but its not quite special snowflake, but still important and rare.
>>
>>54289324
Well Sigil is offical but the scale is a tad diffrent...
>>
>>54289279
There was no challenge left in any of the other encounters because he literally just stood in the way of things and could eat every damage dealt to him, barely anyone else actually got around to using spell slots because there was no further tactic involved, every illusion and many necromancy spell we had in our party were mostly obsolete since that encounter was to use those for while most of the enemies inside the ruins were golems and it generally just wasn't a ton of fun for most of us to play our chars since it made our tanky Cleric feel pointless as a tank, cancelled out any chance to really properly use utility spells, shortened the one-shot by over an hour and also made all other AOE spells far less useful because the AOE encounter was cleared in a single cast with nobody else actually even doing so much as shooting a cantrip or an arrow.
>>
>>54289324
Currently running one on a donut/toroid. I am debating about sending the OCs to the "Night Lands", where the sun doesn't shine as often and the gravity is higher.
>>
>>54289244
>no witch bolt
It's trash
>>
>>54289244
Missing grease/10
>>
>>54289324
Unless you really play up the scifi, it won't be that different from any other game. My setting is on the outside of a ring-shaped planet, and the only real (non-story) impact is that you can fall off the edge. And also there are THINGS living on the other side.

>>54289390
Well, perhaps next time actually read the rules on temporary hit points. (Hint: they don't stack)
>>
>>54289099
>Modern New York, or a fantasy equivalent?

I would love to develop a "not-New York" fantasy city for my setting.

Large central island where the main business, shipping, trade, and cultural districts are, as well as the royal palace and governmental district. The palace and government district in roughly in the same area as Central Park.

The rest of the city spread across a few more islands and the mainland.
>>
>>54289225
>>54289279
>>54289341
> they'd be too busy fighting each other.
Sorta. Guelfs and ghibellines, add demons+devils, decadent mages' organization (3.5), also powerful dark clerics.
>>
>>54289424
You're right. Witch bolt is trash.
>>
How is Out of the Abyss, guys?
>>
>>54289244
Looks cool, but I have a special spot for Chromatic Orb because it's versatile, although it costs 50 gp once.
>>
>>54289397
You should absolutely, 100% do this. It should be harrowing and leave them forever changed by the experience.

>>54289444
As I said, I have a "not-Seattle," and everything in the city corresponds to Seattle's real-world geography.
For example, the Catholic graveyard is replaced by a church of the Raven Queen, UW is replaced by "The Academy," and Magnolia is the Noble District.
>>
>>54289444
16 years ago, somebody crashed spelljammers into the Twin Ziggurats, destroying them
>>
>>54289461
Decent. Much better than Tyranny of Dragons, not that it means much
>>
>>54289459
You get to cast it an indefinite number of times for one spell slot, essentially. It's definitely a useful spell to have around.
>>
>>54289512
Yeah, I know what a cantrip is. There are better choices.
>>
>>54289497
>9/11
>a joke

Never joke about that with a New Yorker.

It may be 16 years later, but it's still a touchy subject.
>>
>>54289459
It's good at low levels for getting a lot of use out of a single spell slot.
>>
Boutta start a new campaign as a revised ranger beastmaster (w/ crossbows) and a pet giant goat.

Never played a ranger before, and I've not played much 5e either. How should I maximize my combat effectiveness? What combat roles do I have aside from 'shoot thing' and 'pet offtanks'?
>>
>>54289544
Fuck off.
>>
In Storm King's, what fly speed do you get from the pixie dust?
>>
>>54289544
I thought new yorkers had a reputation for being tough. Maybe you pussies should get over it.
>>
>>54289512
Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is With Bolt Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Spell Like Nigga Hit The Wizard Haha
>>
>>54289544
New Yorker here:

You're a faggot.
>>
>>54289560

There's a few spells that can contribute to battlefield control. Ensnaring Strike, Silence. Conjure Animals/Woodland Beings can give you a nice numbers advantage.

Don't rely on your pet to 'off-tank' all the time, especially a goat. Even revised ranger pets can be squishy against the right enemies.
>>
>>54289459
It's literally FREE damage!
>>
File: GoBack.gif (348KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
GoBack.gif
348KB, 350x233px
>>54289544
>>
How many Mephits are too many Mephits for a level 3 encounter with 3 or 4 players?

Are 6 still fine or too many or too weak? Everyone of them has pretty fucking good stats.
>>
>>54289709
Use a CR calculator.
>>
>>54289709
kobold.club/fight
There you go.
>>
Which classes work best with grave clerics?
Paladins and Rogues?
>>
>>54289662
>>54289561
>>54289575
Call me names all you want.

It's disrespectful to joke about.
>>
Is a good idea to give a class 1 temporary hit point per level that recover at the end of a short or long rest? Or would that cause many problems and would be better to just give it normal hit point?
>>
>>54289798
>It's disrespectful to joke about.
welcome to 4chan, friend.
>>
>>54289709
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
Kobold Club says 6 CR 1/4 or 4 CR 1/2 are Medium.
6 CR 1/2 are Hard.
>>
>>54289798
Gee sorry I didn't see that we were on reddit/r/newyork sorry bud, I thought we were on 4chan.
>>
>>54289798
It's also disrespectful to censor people on an anonymous website, you whiny piece of shit.
>>
>>54289806
>1 temporary hit point per level
Fiend Warlock gets Level + Charisma modifier (d8 hit die)

>would be better to just give it normal hit point?
Draconic Sorcerer gets +1 HP per class level (d6 hit die)
>>
>>54289798
I understand, m8. My dad was one of the first people who died on 9/11. I'll never forget his final words to me.
>>
>>54289858
"Son, I am disappoint."
>>
>>54289806
I would say that making them temporary hp would be pointless. Most parties I've been in just short-rest after every combat/dungeon they go through.
>>
>>54289858
"Son, stop talking to autists on the internet."
>>
>>54289798
I understand, I was one of the first to die in 9/11.

>>54289806
It would interfere with things like inspiring leader or heroism and it'd be too much faff.
Just give them +1 hp/level.
>>
>>54289834
You have literally no idea what "censor" means, do you? Next you'll be telling me your First Amendment rights are being violated?
Fucking snowflakes.
>>
>>54289948
Calm down, m8. He misspelled "censure"
>>
>>54289858
"Son, are you a fag?"
>>
>>54289668
Our frontline tank is a sword-n-board paladin, so I'm not too worried.

I worry about damage output using a crossbow and only having 1 attack action per turn. I know the pet is supposed to supplement the extra attack, and the 3rd attack with proper positioning. Does the damage stack up with other big damage dealing classes?
>>
>>54289948
You also have literally no idea what "snowflakes" means, faggot
>>
File: 1428365663190.png (23KB, 218x244px) Image search: [Google]
1428365663190.png
23KB, 218x244px
>>54289948
>>
>>54289002
I'm in the middle of what is basically shadowrun but run with 5eDnD rules. Also I'm thinking of doing something similar for the next campaign, but set in a different historical period.

Basically, magic was gone, but comes back in XXXX year. I thought ww1 would be neat, but one of my players suggested the Gold Rush would also be cool, and I have to agree with him.
>>
>>54289970
Crossbow are the best range weapon, you be fine.
>>
>>54289979
>My feelings are hurt
>That means I'm being TARGETTED
Nope, pretty damn snowflakey.
>>
>>54290006
These would all be pretty cool. The question is, how do you balance modern weapons with the rest of the game's options? Or do you just throw them in and let the balance sort itself out?
>>
>>54290016
That's not what it mean, nice try.
>>
>>54289816
>>54289745
Thank you very much.
>>
>>54289382
>>54289397
>>54289442
Appreciate the response. I literally had no idea Sigil was a thing.
>>
So one of my players has been working with me on something for his hermit discovery. He went wild mage sorcerer and to continue the luck stuff the class has, wants a coin that determines whether someone is lucky or unlucky, And then for something super mundane to happen. I basically have a small 1-20 table for both sides, and every other level the dice size I roll will get bigger. Currently the stuff that happens is things like "this food tastes better than you expected" and "you notice a silver coin on the ground" or bad luck being things like "you stub your toe (no damage) and it hurts a bit" and "the sun glares in your eyes and it's kind of annoying" - what are some other things I can add?
>>
>>54289560
For combat effectiveness, crossbow expert + sharpshooter on hand crossbows works best, and if you want to go beyond being a shitty dex fighter with spellcasting you should (aside from using the revised ranger) probably go hunter and get horde breaker + volley for as many attacks in an AoE as possible. You can choose to use heavy crossbows instead at level 11.
>>
How do I keep playing a female that's a stupid asshole bullying people and acting like a stereotypical high-school jock spending most of her days drunk while flirting with every decent looking dude she comes across in the most direct and shameless way fun for the party in the long-run?

By stupid asshole I mean that she is an actual straight idiot sitting at 8 Intelligence and Wisdom that jumps into and provokes fights over misunderstanding even the most innocent of jokes directed at her or when somebody makes her feel stupid or looks at her in a weird way.
>>
>>54290112
Pick up Manual of the Planes or its equivalent from any edition. You'd get some cool ideas for planar geometry.
>>
File: tea pot.jpg (12KB, 267x400px) Image search: [Google]
tea pot.jpg
12KB, 267x400px
>>54289002
I have some food-themed magic items. Can anyone tell me how bad they are? Are they even interesting?

>Teapot of the Wia'Ja Acolytes
A delicate ceramic teapot shaped like an elephant used to bolster defenses from the elements. During a short rest, you can brew a pot of tea that offers resilience to certain damage types. While making the tea, choose two damage types: fire, cold, lightning, or poison. You and up to 3 other people may drink this tea and are granted advantage on saving throws against damage from any magical or non-magical means with those damage types. Characters effected by the tea lose their resilience after 8 hours, or if they drink more of this tea.

>Out of This World Sugar Cube
A small, pitch back 1" cube with white specs, that held at the right angle appears to be the night sky. The sugar cube has a delightful sweet smell. During a long rest adding one grain of this sugar with enough food goods (50gp worth), you can create a small sweet morsel that doesn’t spoil. When a creature consumes the it, their words become smooth and as sweet as the delicacy itself for one hour. They can be understood by anyone they speak too, and they gain advantage on Charisma (Persuasion) checks for the duration.

>The Tyrant King’s Salt Shaker
This salt shaker is plain and made of glass with a silver cap. The salt inside has been enchanted to turn a bright pink if sprinkled over food or drink that is poisoned or spoiled. No matter how much is used, it always tastes like "just the right amount" of salt.
>>
How do I build wu jen/wizard?
>>
So for my Alchemist, I'm trying to let him build inventions and whatnot.

He came up with the idea for a not-grenade launcher for this alchemical fire and acid. Sadly, those take an action and expire if not used by the end of the turn.

Would it really be so broken as to say, "no, fuck that, they stay until used"?
>>
>>54290158
Kill her, if she's stupid enough to provoke everything that move, just give her something that is guaranteed to kill her, actions have consequences.
>>
>>54289970

>Does the damage stack up with other big damage dealing classes?

No, not really. Especially not with a goat as your pet.

Rangers are great utility and have really useful out-of-combat features in the right situations. Pick a suitable Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer for huge bonuses that can give you a lot of information.
>>
>>54290158
I'm pretty sure you just described exactly how you'd play her.
Whether or not it would be fun for any group in the long-run is a different question...
I also fail to see how being female has literally anything to do with the character concept
>>
>>54290172
you don't
>>
>>54290166
Seem cool. The salt might need some rewording or just clarification, though, since sprinkling it into a colored drink would probably dissolve it and make it impossible to tell unless a ton is used. Maybe just clarify that it changes the drinks color or emits some pink steam/smoke/gas when dissolving to make it more universally useful.
>>
>>54290233
No
You should be able to actually make something in a crafting based class instead of having !notcantrips
>>
>>54290158

>8 Wis or Int means you're a slavering moron meme
>>
>>54290034
So far I've been throwing them in and letting the players sort it out. It hasn't proven to be too big of an issue this campaign. I don't really know how to balance them in a way that would appeal to everyone though, since there are significant realism issues if you make firearms "balanced" with melee weapons.
>>
>>54290275
It's not too relevant to the "dumbass bully" character type, just figured I'd mention it for completion's sake.
I could make up some overly complex backstory about her hardships of being a Triton girl working on a pirate ship in her teenage years and early 20s and how she either had to fuck her way up the ranks to earn respect or fight her way up but I honestly just felt like playing a female character and found the concept of a short fish-head girl stirring up shit all the time and getting mad at random peasants for not finding her attractive or thinking she looks odd amusing.
>>
Is swashbuckler rouge the best way to play a pirate character?
>>
>>54290301
Yeah that's the problem with modern games, isn't it? 8 is the lowest you can get with PB or SA, and anything that's a negative is treated by modern gamers as the worst thing ever.
>>
Quick question, as a paladin, I can cast magic using a holy symbol attached to my shield while I have a weapon drawn in my other hand, right?
>>
>>54290455
Not really. Swashbuckler rogues are all about stabbing someone really hard and then hiding.
You wanna play a traditional pirate, you should play a fighter with the sailor background.
>>
' ' ' Fuck ' ' '
>>
>>54290455
No?
I mean it depends what you're going for but pirate is a profession, not a "class" per se. Really other than picking Sailor or the Pirate variant, sky's the limit.
I think the only thing really expected of a pirate is not to wear more than light armor so you don't sink if you fall off your boat?
>>
So what is the extend that Transmutation and Illusion Wizards can go to with their bullshit?

I always imagined both archetypes having a ton of creative freedom to go about things and solve problems in and out of combat but never got to play one or looked too deep into what they can do. My main Wizard does make a ton of use of Polymorph, though, and solves almost all of his problems with it.
Nothing quite as good as turning a big bad foe into a rain worm, shoving it into your bag for an hour and then dumping it off somewhere else or waiting for backup and everyone to be fully healed and ready again.
>>
>>54290503
You're not my supervisor!
>>
>>54290483
>class is called Swashbuckler
>actually isn't fighting like a swashbuckler but runs away all the time
Good job, Wizards.
>>
>>54290483
>Swashbuckler rogues are all about stabbing someone really hard and then hiding.

don't they have a feature that lets them sneak attack basically whenever they like?
>>
>>54290585
Yeah, but they also have one letting them disengage anyone they hit, encouraging hit-and-run shenanigans by running away from people.
>>
>>54290585
>>54290578
They can sneak attack if there's only one enemy adjacent to them, and they can afford to dual-wield because they get free disengage.
Basically, they're really good duelists, but in a larger battle, they're guerillas. Do with that what you will.
>>
>>54290617
Makes me wonder, is there a way to make an effective pirate character using either a handgun or a hand crossbow in one hand while having a scimitar in the other, slashing one person and shooting another?
>>
>>54290663
I mean yeah but you're better off just shooting twice in 99% of all situations.
>>
>>54290682
Yeah but that isn't as cool to the imagination
>>
>>54290682
Obviously, hence the idea if there might be some combination of things that actually make it viable to split your damage up like that.
>>
>>54290503
>pirate is a profession
Now, take Sir Francis Drake. The Spanish all despise him.
>>
>>54290663

Not effectively.

You have to do weird things with your action economy because of the loading and ammunition properties, at least for things like CBE + Scimitar.

>Scimitar Attack
>Stow Scimitar (free interaction)
>Bonus Action Hand Crossbow attack

This works, but only for one turn. After that, things get a bit screwy, because you need a free hand to reload the crossbow for the next attack, you can't use TWF with ranged weapons to get a bonus attack with the scimitar.
>>
>>54290833

Oh, please, Sir Francis was a privateer, not a pirate, regardless of what the Spanish say.
>>
>>54290547
The problem with Illusion is it really depends heavily on your DM. Some DMs will have their NPCs permanently afraid for their life who will suspect your illusion is fake with zero reason to do so, or they might just "accidentally" put your hand through your major image.
>>
>>54290850
But to the British, he's a hero and they idolise him.
>>
>>54290833

You sir, get a (You) for that reference

>>54290850

You sir, get a (You) for some education to the other sir's reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj8EZm9ca8
>>
>>54290877
Fuck you, I was hoping to get a few more verses in before he caught on.
>>
Yo is the mega trove down for anyone else?
>>
>>54290888

RIP its gone
>>
>>54290905
Why? It was up this morning. What happened?

I just found this general, newbie, will it be back up sometime?
>>
>>54290887

Sorry, the urge to share the experience of Tim Curry singing alongside the Muppets as Long John Silver was overwhelming.
>>
I have had an idea for a character I wanted to play, but am rather new to the game. Essentially, I wanted to play a druid of sorts that is more akin to swarms of small creatures than just turning into large ones.

I kinda like the idea of playing a Ratkin being that controls swarms of rats and could turn into a swarm of rats in order to escape from trouble. Either that, or maybe a Firbolg that is one with insects, turning into swarms of hornets, beetles or locusts to attack. If nothing official, any decent homebrews of them that a DM might be convinced to accept?
>>
>>54290953
Homebrewing a race is easy or refluffing an existing one.

You just then need to play a druid and ask your DM to let you use 'swarms of X' beasts.
>>
>>54290888
Mageguru trove was better anyway

Nice trips btw
>>
File: 1496816140165.jpg (21KB, 220x188px) Image search: [Google]
1496816140165.jpg
21KB, 220x188px
>>54290833
Heh. Nice song.
>>
I need an archetype for my 9 INT high elf dex fighter
halp pls
>>
>>54290846
What if you just did a blackbeard thing of shooting a crossbow, dropping it, then drawing/shooting another crossbow?
>>
>>54291216
Champion.
>>
>>54291083
Heyyy I didn't even notice them. What's mageguru trove? Like I said, complete tabletop newb here
>>
>>54291225
Alternatively, find a tinkerer and let him make you a crossbow with a magazine of bolts.
>>
Has anyone ever had a good lizardfolk game?
>>
>>54291251
You can't champion with a rapier. I mean yo *can* but you *can't* really, *can* you.
>>
>>54291276
Go to the pdf share thread here on /tg/ >>54267033
>>
>>54291279
Wouldn't work. Repeating crossbows still require a second hand to pull the crank.
The problem isn't the bolt, it's pulling the string back.
>>
>>54291328
Easy: just add a magazine and a small level system that lets you pull the string back with your thumb, similar to how you would cock a gun.

Alternatively, just use a gun.
>>
>>54291307
thanks my dude!
>>
>>54291354
*'lever
>>
So I got me a thing for my character and his Wish. I realize that it's up to my DM on how it could go but I'd like differing ideas and perspectives on what could happen.

My character's dad is an ancient red dragon who is now dead and my character died and got told by Death that he would/could cause the end of the Material plane. The red dragon had himself as a god of this cult, the cult in question being non-hostile and benign along with him. So my character viewed his father as a hero and all that, wanted to be like him as much as possible.

So my character and the party kills him because Death held him to a fairly ominous yet friendly deal and my character is basically nihilistic now because his worldview is broken along with the cult's and his mother's reaction. Then he learns that Orcus has him in his layer in the Abyss.

What it comes down to is that my character wants to fix this with what little leeway he can. He can't bring him back to life because the deal he made with Death would still be active along with the fact that he does not want to deal with his father's and the cult's reaction. So the idea that I had is something that mentioned before; use Wish to wish for "I wish that I inherited everything of my father's." with the emphasis on everything. I basically want to use my character's want to be like his father from growing up to essentially merge himself with his father.

I already thought of a few obvious ways this can screw me over. My character becomes his father and could be taken out of my hands, I would have to just about completely change how my character acts and believes, I inherit everything physical that his father owned which is pretty much a wasted Wish because I could inherit everything but I would have to deal with the cult which he does no want to do at all.

So, anyone have any thoughts about it? Ways to reword the Wish with the intention of my character? How I could get fucked over? I want to be as prepared as I can be.
>>
A skill checks considered ability checks or separate likes saves and attack are?

If so the guidance cantrip seems pretty OP when added on top of proficiency bonuses.
>>
>>54291601
There's no such thing as a "skill check" technically. There's ability checks, and often skill proficiencies apply to them.
>>
File: tmp_9468-135-2078259052.png (124KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_9468-135-2078259052.png
124KB, 680x680px
>>54291610
>>
>>54291307
Take it back. Can't figure out that thread to save my life
>>
>>54291656
Open the OP's pdf, ctrl+f "mageguru"
>>
>>54291689
Finally figured it out! Thanks man!
>>
>>54291610
If a bonus or penalty applies to a ability check that applies to all skill checks as well then? (unlike attack and saves)
>>
>>54291767
What sort of bonus or penalty are you referring to?
If you have advantage on strength ability checks, that extends to strength (athletics) checks, if that's what you mean.
>>
>>54291820
Yeah basically just that thanks
>>
>>54291939
FWIW, same extends to checks with tools. Basically, any time you roll a d20 and add an ability modifier and it's not an attack or a saving throw, it's an ability check.
>>
File: Magic Facetime.png (231KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Facetime.png
231KB, 640x360px
Would-be DM seeking brief advice; my assumed players are not magic-savvy and will be mostly playing martials with the exception of a Light Cleric.
What are some basic utility spells that make handy magic items usable by your average fighter or Barb?
>>
File: dirty .jpg (39KB, 338x391px) Image search: [Google]
dirty .jpg
39KB, 338x391px
why are elves so ugly
>>
>>54292107
Great post, friend!
>>
>>54292107
Great post, friend!
>>
>>54292107
Great post, friend!
>>
>>54292107
Great post, friend!
>>
>>54292107
Great post, friend!
>>
>>54292107
Great post, friendo!
>>
>>54292114
>>54292121
>>54292129
>>54292133
>>54292144
>>54292156
can you stop
your scaring me
>>
Question: Since the Land of Barovia is a demiplane, if Banishment is cast on a creature there will they be banished back to the material plane and stuck there if they spend a minute there?
>>
>>54292107
Great post, fiend!
>>
>>54292107
Great post, friend!
>>
>>54292188
No. That's explicitly forbidden.
>>
>>54292197
Elf please.
>>
>>54292107
Great post, friend!
>>
>>54292237
Well shit.
>>
>>54292107
Great post, friend!
>>
>>54292237
>Not even wish
>Not even a level 9 spell can save you from some random tourist trap that sends you over to some faggot's domain who could never square off against anybody who knows level 9 spells
>Yet such a person can't escape

It would work better if such a spell could work and then it's 'Well, you've just found an incredibly rare way to cast a spell that can break the entire game way before you should have access to it, so I guess your reward is your character escapes but everybody else is still stuck so better roll up another character or dive back in if you want to keep going'

Seems like shitty railroad material to me.
>>
>>54292297
>Not even a level 9 spell can save you from some random tourist trap that sends you over to some faggot's domain who could never square off against anybody who knows level 9 spells
It's not actually Strahd's domain though. It's the whatever darkness thing I can't remember the name of that fucks with Strahd.
>>
>>54292308
I expected as such despite the fact they specifically said 'Strahd's Domain'
It's like Maxwell's problem and all that.

But it still seems pretty shitty.
>>
>>54292308

They're just called the Dark Powers, I think.
>>
>>54290477
Yes.
>>
>>54292315
If you killed everything in Barovia would you even level up enough to get Wish?
>>
>>54292399
I imagine Strahd would panic and start going all out against the players well before that point is reached.
>>
>>54292399

If you killed everything, you'd probably just end up shunted off into your own little slice of Hell.
>>
>>54292399
Perhaps not, but there might be some convoluted way through DM addition you could get access to it, perhaps if your DM put it at the end of something absolutely crazy.
>>
Did you refluff PHB cleric domains for your game and if yes, how?
>>
>>54292409
If you found a way to redeem the Abbott I could see it happening
>>
Rolled 2, 6, 9, 12, 4, 11 = 44 (6d20)

Gimme dat mmmmWarlock
>>
>>54292409
Personally I like the idea of Wish only being as powerful (or just a tad bit more) as it's caster.
>>
Rolled 5, 9, 1, 8, 17, 14 = 54 (6d20)

>>54292449
u gonna die. Watch and learn, grasshopper.
>>
>>54292449
fuck
>>
File: 1499719269985.png (107KB, 547x536px) Image search: [Google]
1499719269985.png
107KB, 547x536px
>>54292449
Your patron either has a twisted sense of humor or a lot of sympathy for somebody so shafted in life.
>>
Rolled 7, 6, 11, 13, 4, 8 = 49 (6d20)

>>54292449
I feel sorry for your patron. Superior lock stepping through.
>>
>>54292463
fug :DDDDD
>>
Rolled 12, 5, 17, 13, 6, 13 = 66 (6d20)

Let's do this babeeeeeeeee
For reference's sakes let's just say this is a Druid.
>>
File: d4syqbv.png (112KB, 229x300px) Image search: [Google]
d4syqbv.png
112KB, 229x300px
>>54292449
>>54292463
>>54292468

This is terrifying.
>>
>>54289794
Paladins make the most of the vulnerability feature. It's all about the burst.

>>54290912
It will, eventually. Someone is bound to have it all download and updated.
I did downloaded everything, but it was quite some time ago, and didn't bother to catch up.
I'm sure you can find at least the core books on zoogle.
>>
Rolled 10, 6, 5, 10, 18, 15 = 64 (6d20)

Fucking stingy patron. Time to repent and become a Cleric
>>
I'm designing a dungeon for the first time and I've got a couple of silly questions:
>When the party enters a room and fights whoever's there, what prevents creatures in nearby rooms from coming to help and then making the fight too hard and leaving empty rooms behind?
>How to handle players resting, just roll random encounters whenever they sit down to take a breath?
>>
>>54289002
Player wants to play a vampire.

Best option for that?
>>
Rolled 16, 5, 3, 17, 8, 11 = 60 (6d20)

>>54292507
>>54292468
>>54292465
>>54292464
>>54292463
Fuck everything about my roll, trying again
>>54292524
There's a vampire race in Plane Shift Zendikar
>>
>>54292513
>10 Str
>6 Dex
>5 Con
>10 int
>18 wis
>15 cha
Not bad, honestly. You could pass off as a frail saint kind of character, like that sick sibling the main character is fighting to cure/save.
>>
>>54292524
There's a "vampire" race in one of the plane shifts. It's really vague in some places so you'll have to fill in the blanks.
>>
>>54292536
Yeah, I could live with that.
>>
Rolled 8, 3, 12, 1, 18, 11 = 53 (6d20)

how I do roll character
>>
>>54292524
>Best option
Not allowing it desu

>>54292415
What do you mean by "refluffing domains"? Like, replace them with another theme but keep the same abilities?
>>
Rolled 6, 5, 2, 3, 2, 5, 1, 5, 5, 4, 1, 3, 6, 6, 5, 1, 6, 2 = 68 (18d6)

Hey guys anyone want to do some stat rolling?
>>
>be a level 3 rogue
>fighting a roper, restrained by the rest of the party
>rest of the party down or straight up dead
>would've need to roll 14+ to hit it, already at disadvantage cuz I'm restrained
>resort to using vicious mockery to do consistent damage,
>manage to survive 10 rounds due to DM rolling poorly, making bad rock jokes every round
>the entire time the rest of the party getting more and more hyped, in utter suspense every time a roll is made
>we literally shout when the DM says it goes down

God damn that has to be one of the most memorable moments for me in a long time. I've never seen anyone react so viscerally to every roll of a d4
>>
>>54291216
Eldritch Knight. It's not like you were going to cast anything besides Shield and Absorb Elements.

>>54292297
>could never square off against anybody who knows level 9 spells
Except he did and he won. See the Mad Mage, faggot.
CR15 Strahd will eat CR12 Archmages alive.
>>
>>54292524
The whole "dies in sunlight" thing is going to be a tricky issue
>>
>>54289794
Nuclear druids, rogues, perhaps any spellcaster depending on the spells they have. Paladins aren't bad but a rogue would still be better since you want to condense it all into one attack as much as possible.
Especially a GFB/BB sort of rogue if I recall it giving vulnerability to all damage rather than only one damage type.
>>
>>54292560
>18 Wis
>1 Int
You are the world's most functional retard. It is a scientific miracle that you manage to function as a living, sapient entity given the seemingly complete absence of higher thought, but you somehow manage to carry through life as if on autopilot, with a natural grasp of what to do even if you can't even verbalize what you're doing in words.

You are actually in reasonably good health even if you are not particularly physically fit, and you somehow manage to seem normal to the average person as long as your conversations do not go deeper than the weather.
>>
>>54292570
Roll 6d20 you complete pussy.
>>
>>54292072
Anyone? I'm just looking for some basics beyond the usual Message Stone or Talisman of Waterbreathing.
>>
Rolled 7, 15, 9, 12, 5, 19 = 67 (6d20)

>>54292589
Fine. Rolling a cleric
>>
Say I'm going to morph my character to have multiple arms/eyes once they're brought back to life, are there any plausible in game abilities/benefits to that?
>>
Rolled 16, 19, 1, 1, 6, 18 = 61 (6d20)

Rolling is fun for one shots
>>
File: 64954006.jpg (160KB, 640x579px) Image search: [Google]
64954006.jpg
160KB, 640x579px
Reminder that you should run an Eberron campaign because it is the best D&D setting.
>>
>>54292579
>Actually if you replace the level 9 spells with shit Strahd suddenly wins again!
Well no shit sherlock.

If you gave that CR12 Archmage Wish instead of Time Stop, the Archmage pretty much wins by default.
>>
>>54292598
Perception buff. More sight = clearer picture
>>
>>54292608
>Reminder that you should run a Mystara campaign because it is the best D&D setting.
fify
>>
>>54292597
For someone for whom "What Would Jesus Do" is an unanswerable mystery, you are rather good at making your shot at the dark sound believable, and good at running when somebody doesn't buy it.

You may not be a good cleric, but you can damn well convince everyone around you that you are until the consequences of your tenuous connection with your deity becomes obvious.
>>
>>54292607
>one shot
How appropriate.
>>
>>54292612
>>54292579
Or, for that matter, True Polymorph should do it too.
>>
>>54292072
>>54292590
5e in general assumes magic items are rare. Other than a Druid making Goodberries, your casters aren't going to be making magic items
>>
>>54292072
D R I F T G L O B E
>>
Ok, so like, I know that rolling for characters is fun, but can we not turn the whole /5eg/ into /stat rolling general/?
Keep it to a few rolls per thread.
>>
>>54292297
its a super magic prison
the whole schitck is that its an ironic hell from which there is no escape
>>
>>54292562
>Like, replace them with another theme but keep the same abilities?
that is almost the definition of refluff yes
>>
So people ranting about their favorite setting aside, what do you honestly expect the next one to be?

Personally I have a feeling it's either Eberron or Darksun. I really hope Darksun because honestly, if I want a magitech campaign I'd rather make my own setting then use Eberron.
>>
>>54292622
>Shapechangers aren't affected by this spell. An unwilling creature can make a Wisdom saving throw, and if it succeeds, it isn't affected by this spell.
Even ignoring the whole "shapechangers aren't affected" deal, the +7 to WIS saves and his Legendary Resistance will make True Polymorph completely useless against Strahd.
>>
>>54292607
Wet Tissue Willis, they call him, the murderer on Medicare. You're stealthy and an excellent shot, but god forbid anything vaguely cough at you. The only missions you have failed are the times your dexterity failed to prevent you from bleeding out from a stubbed toe, or the time your own gunshot ruptured your eardrums.

In spite of that, you are inspirational; not a lot of medical invalids can become top-class assassins, and you have proven to terry schaivos and steven hawkings across the world that even though you've lost it, you still know you can kill.
>>
>>54292652

What do you dislike about Eberron?
>>
>>54292636
>Ok, so like, I know that rolling for characters is fun
Gross.
>>
>>54292657
If you use true polymorph properly, his legendary resistance, +7 wis save and 'shapechangers aren't affected' shit all doesn't matter.
>>
>>54292626
Duly noted, it just so happens they'd have a powerful retired wizard as a benefactor so he's likely to have some trinkets and magic baubles he doesn't use anymore and can lend out.
>>54292632
Perfect, exactly what I'm talking about.
>>
File: DEkPB0QU0AAgF38[1].jpg (120KB, 1200x1065px) Image search: [Google]
DEkPB0QU0AAgF38[1].jpg
120KB, 1200x1065px
From the official D&D twitter
>>
>>54292689
Explain
>>
>>54292639
And that's the problem. Why do they have to make it 'super magic prison'? Why couldn' they stop at 'magic prison'? What compelled them to go so far to limit the possibilities?
>>
>>54292519
>plot
>distance between occupied rooms
>constant noise muffling the sound of fighting, like a waterfall or a forge

>>54292612
>casts wish on the shadowfell
>what could possibly go wrong

>>54292622
Now that's better. But if it's a PC caster, true polymorph is retarded and imbalanced because of the level=cr part of the spell.
If it's a CR12 Archmage, he can only turn into creatures up to CR12 as well, which is good but isn't THAT good.
>>
>>54292702
desu the dice themselves don't look particularly horsefuckery. If you threw away the box nobody would even notice.
>>
>>54292702
>no standard d10
What is this inferior product?
And where do I buy it?
>>
>>54292699
Give them an immovable rod just to see what the hell they do with it.
>>
>>54292662
Honestly can't pinpoint it. I don't dislike the setting so much as I prefer my technology based settings differently to the way it does it.

I guess I'd rather run something more modern then Eberron is, so actual cars, guns and etc. Basically more of a 5e Modern game.

If the setting book came out I'd love to have the completed Artificer, Changelings and Warforged. Plus I'm sure it'll come with better crafting and magic item rules. Actual fluff though is something I wouldn't touch.

>>54292702
Like >>54292714 said. Also I actually like the dice colour.
>>
>>54292702
Yes, and?
>>
>>54292615
Nice thanks
>>
>>54292710
>>54292705
Poorly copy and pasted:
"Object into Creature. Vou can turn an object into
any kind of creature, as long as the creature's size
is no larger than the object's size and the creature's
cha11enge rating is 9 or lower. The creature is friendly to
you and your companions. It acts on each of your turns.
Vou decide what action it takes and how it moves. The
DM has the creature's statislics and resolves ali of its
actions and movement.
[f the spe11becomes permanent, you no longer control
the creature. It might remain friendly to you, depending
on how you have treated it."

You simply cast it every day to create a horde of CR 9 friends to do your will. You might want to select what you transform carefully, but with your wizardry skills and spell slots you can likely convince everybody to stay on your side, especially considering you're practically your new horde of dragon's collective mother, creator and god.

And then you tell them to go storm shit and ruin everything.

As for a caster with wish, they can store clones in demiplanes with no issue or cost and cast pretty much any other spell they need provided they're given time. They can't use level 9 spells like true polymorph, but they'll probably find a good way to win with their infinite lives.
>>
>>54292652
>Personally I have a feeling it's either Eberron or Darksun.

you're probably right considering eberron requires the artificer and dark sun requires the mystic, so it makes sense they would want to sort those classes out before making a setting book.

they've also playtested the inquisitive rogue archetype and some other stuff from eberron, which makes it the most probable option.
>>
>>54292652
Its probably a copout, but Planescape is top of my list.
>>
>>54292741
Just think about it practically, more eyes = see more = perception. Another set of arms would likely translate into strength because x2 sets of arm muscles
>>
File: boomboom.jpg (108KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
boomboom.jpg
108KB, 1280x720px
So in a homebrew campaign I'm running, our paladin straight up ate the soul of a demon. This is the effect he gained:

Deals 6d20 fire damage and fire to 40 ft radius(including self.) Creatures roll Dex save. If succeed, take half damage and does not get set on fire. Caster makes Con save vs his/her own Spell DC or gains 1 level of exhaustion.

Pls r8 8/8 m8
>>
>>54292652
5e Eberron Campaign Setting book with artificer, mystic, changelings, warforged, shifters, and Mike Schley world maps.

5e Dark Sun Campaign Setting book with mystic, thri-kreen, mul, and Mike Schley world maps.
>>
>>54292776
>our paladin straight up ate the soul of a demon
How did he manage that
>>
>>54292746
Oh, also, in theory you can make a ton of holy creatures and such creatures shouldn't have reason to refuse a purge.

Unless the demiplane forbids such creatures somehow, in which case you just find some other form of good, or you stoop down to making neutral creatures that have reason to get rid of vampires, etc.

>>54292776
What sort of a paladin would do that
Was it a sacrifice?
>>
Where can I find decent (generic encounter) battlemaps for roll20?
>>
>>54292748
I think Darksun could bring a lot to the table for 5e. Variant rules for a more gritty rule set would be in there, the races are cool, classes could all easily get a new archetype.

It's also worth noting that Eberron and Darksun are probably the two settings that need a setting book for variant rules and classes.

>>54292757
People say that a lot, but I doubt it's soon. I have a feeling they'll want to fleshed out all the more normal settings before making stuff for planescape.

>>54292780
This actually points out something. Eberron has both Artificers and Mystics needed in it, Darksun needs Mystics.

So it could make sense to do Darksun first, so they don't need to release two whole new classes in one book.
>>
>>54292524
>Best option for that?
telling him to get the fuck out.
>>
>>54292812

I just google Roll20 battlemaps plus any pertinent details I want, usually. Though I hear some people do well with spritework.
>>
File: Hungry Space.png (233KB, 852x950px) Image search: [Google]
Hungry Space.png
233KB, 852x950px
>>54292797
Not him but I imagine you nat20 so hard you're able to actually grab an intangible concept, put it in your mouth, chew it up and swallow it.
>>
File: 1498877243396.png (765KB, 960x480px) Image search: [Google]
1498877243396.png
765KB, 960x480px
I'm starting a new character for a campaign a friend of mine is running, and he and I have set it up so I will be playing a character that is secretly lawful evil.

What alignment should I write on my sheet, ostensibly for the other players? Lawful neutral? Neutral?
>>
>>54292881
Lawful Neutral obviously. It's easy to find other explanations to justify things that benefit you.
>>
>>54292881
Lawful Neutral, just give your party the "nothing is sacred, everything is permitted" bullshit from AssCreed
>>
>>54292881
LN for sure. It's easy enough for a LE person to delude himself that he's LN. Justify everything as being for the "greater good".
>>
>>54292881
Chaotic Neutral. Your seemingly random acts were part of your master plan all along.
Also because of dat dere age old print.
>>
>>54292707
because the dm needs a paragraph to point to when they need to stop their players from intentionally trying to run away from the $50 book they bought.
>>
>>54292921
THE GREATER GOOD
>>
>>54292869
>nat 20 meme
Fuck off.
>>
Instead of every class sharing all abilities(Some abilities are multi-classed), every single class needs their very own set of abilities. JUST LIKE IN WORLD OF WARCRAFT. D&D needs to adapt and change to accomodate the newer generations. It will also make D&D more simple, cause right now, it is one giant, complex mess of garbage.
>>
>>54292707

Pretty much >>54292938. The whole "trapped in a Gothic Hell Dimension" hook is kind of hard to enforce when the party can just NOPE their way out within minutes of arriving.
>>
>>54292707
To keep Strahd from escaping into the real world and fucking everybody's shit up. If you kill Strahd, you and anybody else with a soul can get the hell out of dodge, which anybody with half a brain would do. Any poor shmuck who decides "hey this is actually a nice place" and stays deserves getting assfucked when Strahd returns several months later
>>
Thinking of rolling a cleric in an upcoming campaign. What domain do you guys have the most fun with?
>>
>>54293005
well remember most of the population is part of strahd's imagination so if they leave, they'll cease to exist. If they figure that out, somehow, most would opt to stay
>>
Rolled 12, 6, 6, 13, 5, 17 = 59 (6d20)

Rolling for fighter
>>
How many 2 hour sessions would it take to complete SKT?
>>
>>54293054
You're the pretty boy fighter who gets his ass stomped in the first round in the tournament arc of a shounen anime.
>>
Rolled 14, 15, 2, 9, 18, 2 = 60 (6d20)

>>54293054
let's see how you handle my DIRT FARMER!
>>
File: 1498699512546.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1498699512546.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
>>54292828
>Fluff out the other settings before moving to planescape
Which, in any case, would mean that we wouldn't be getting a planescape book.
>7 adventures released, only 2 of which don't take place in the sword coast
>The 5e team has a glacial release schedule
>Explicitly said they don't want to release sourcebooks
>>
File: 1497347668955.jpg (49KB, 600x837px) Image search: [Google]
1497347668955.jpg
49KB, 600x837px
>>54292993
WoW does share some "press button to do melee/ranged damage, hamstring the target\etc." stuff between classes. Also, check out 4e.
>>
>>54293092
I say horribly disfigured baby who was taken in by a monistary
>>
>>54293092
With that 18 Wis you should have had the common sense never to become an adventurer with that 2 Con.
>>
>>54293016
I like being a Life cleric. Getting shit like Cure Wounds 4free means I don't have to waste a preparation slot on them and I can focus on preparing more useful spells. Remember: combat healing is a waste of time. Save healing spells on reviving fallen allies and use your actions to attack or buff/debuff.

Spirit Guardians is a fun spell, as is using your bonus action to smack bitches up with your spiritual weapon.
>>
Rolled 8, 12, 7, 9, 12, 17 = 65 (6d20)

>>54293115
Rolling for a character. Come on fighter
>>
>>54293067
>2 hour sessions
At a table, or online? Storm King's thunder has a lot of variables- Would you be starting from level 1, or coming in at level 5?
>>
Rolled 10, 4, 1, 19, 3, 12 = 49 (6d20)

Rolling for Monk
I dont want no trabble.
>>
>>54293134
Level 1 at a table
>>
>>54293131
see >>54293069
except instead of a longsword you're wielding a rapier when the eventual main character's rival smashes your face in.
>>
>>54293131
I see finesse weapons and Raise Dead spells in your future.
>>
>>54293140
I'm in trabble...
>>
>>54293140
>>54293155
You really ought to pull a Martin Luther and start a religious war that devastate the continent by nailing some radical possibly-heretical theses at your local church with that 19 Int instead of rotting away at a monastery.
>>
Rolled 11, 9, 16, 6, 7, 16 = 65 (6d20)

Jealous of my god-like stats?
>>
>>54293194
the 1 con in me says to stay out of the cold.
the 3 wis in me says go for it.
the 4 dex in me says I'm trapped in my bedsheets.
>>
>>54293194
I like this idea. Start as a Way of the Four Elements Monk and realize that it's a huge crock of shit
>>
>>54293223
Puny god
>>
>>54293223
You are a high school varsity athlete who has the fitness but not the talent for your sport. You may make it to college on a scholarship but you'll never find your way to the big leagues.

If you weren't born with sorcerer powers to kill the other members of your team who made the major leagues in a jealous rage with, you could consider making a pact with an eldritch entity.
>>
Aside from their Short Rest recharge, how good are Land Druid's other abilities?

Being able to move through plants seems good. Better then Moon Druid's magic damage tax anyway.
>>
Rolled 5, 1, 8, 11, 10, 6 = 41 (6d20)

yeah but have any of you ever got 20 in everything
>>
>>54293280
I'm so sorry.
>>
Rolled 7, 4, 4, 1, 6, 9 = 31 (6d20)

>>54293280
>1 Dex
Sit back and observe my amazing stats.
>>
>>54293280
You were bullied at school, but you had decent grades. "Maybe I'll stick it to them when I find a cure for lycantropy," you said.
You didn't, but you're a pretty decent adventurer's insurance representative.
>>
>>54293297
And I thought >>54293280 was bad.
A kinder parent would have put you out of your misery.
>>
>>54293297
Wow you managed to be even worse than him
>>
An oathbreaker paladin.
This was him oathbreaking.
>>
Rolled 13, 1, 5, 20, 10, 8 = 57 (6d20)

you are like leettle babies
>>
>>54293297
You make a strong case for abortion.
>>
>>54293333
You are /fitlit/, and just about as likely to breed as either. You're not /sp/ though, so don't try any sports or anything other than weightlifting.
>implying /sp/ actually plays sports
>>
File: 1498623016891.jpg (258KB, 691x1295px) Image search: [Google]
1498623016891.jpg
258KB, 691x1295px
Rolled 15, 4, 15, 5, 13, 6 = 58 (6d20)

>>54293280
>>54293297
Let me show you how it's done.
>>
Pls be a rogue
>>
Rolled 11, 10, 9, 12, 5, 16 = 63 (6d20)

With these stats, the sky's the limit
>>
>>54293360
Warlock tiem. Save me, mighty Cthulhu
>>
File: id_how_conceptart_9.jpg (76KB, 790x1242px) Image search: [Google]
id_how_conceptart_9.jpg
76KB, 790x1242px
Rolled 15, 1, 7, 1, 7, 15 = 46 (6d20)

Well, seeing as we're down to quality roll posts now let me present you my Whizzard.
>>
>>54293355
You're hired muscle. You've had the street smarts to survive this far, but I wouldn't try for anything better than somebody's bodyguard. You certainly don't have the looks or personality for a leadership position.
>>
>>54293380
Wow.
>>
>>54293360
You're a drama relationship anime VN protagonist; you are utterly average, if a little brighter than usual, but without the common sense to resolve misunderstandings that come from your magnetic ability to attract others for whatever reason. Eventually some diety will grace you with his eldritch powers because you're a fucking Mary Sue.
>>
>>54293380
It's a pity muscle wizards don't exist in 5e because that's the best way you could be a remotely competent wizard.
>>
troves dead
>>
Anyone have the faction stuff that shows you what magic items you get?
>>
>>54292947
Greg over there was an extra in 'Straw Dogs' and Sheri portrayed a cadaver in 'Prime Suspect'.
>>
>>54293016
Arcana, Protection, Forge, Tempest and War are all fun domains IMO
>>
So my DM's using the average for starting gold rather then class and background items.

Other then Hide Armour, a Shield and a Wooden Staff, what does my Druid need? I've got 25gp left and was thinking maybe a Backpack, a Herbalist Kit and a Healer's Kit which would bring me down to 13gp.
>>
>>54292997
>>54292938
The deal here isn't that the party can just nope their way out unless the DM allowed level 17 characters in, in which case what the fuck?

If your party started with level 9 spells you've probably fucked things enough that you don't need a part of the book to point to, because you've clearly homebrewed this up to hell and back.
>>
>>54293612
Banishment sends creatures to their home plane. A cleric with the spell could send anyone trapped without cost.
>>
>>54293626
That's not an issue. It's fine to say 'yeah, a level 4 spell doesn't work'

But it specifically even says 'No, not even WISH can let you escape my magical realm!'
>>
File: hero1.png (80KB, 347x616px) Image search: [Google]
hero1.png
80KB, 347x616px
Rolled 2, 2, 7, 8, 6, 20 = 45 (6d20)

>>54289002
Rolling Bear Totem.
>>
>>54293632
Are you familiar with Ravenloft?
>>
File: 1496845008780.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1496845008780.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Rolled 18, 1, 5, 6, 5, 14 = 49 (6d20)

Rolling for Geralt
>>
>>54293713
Not particularly, no.
>>
>>54293600
A pipe you fucking hippie.
>>
For what reason should I play a Land Druid instead of a Wizard besides the ability to turn into beasts?
>>
>>54293632
honestly i think it's more so the players don't go "Wait, then why doesn't Dark Lord Jackoff just wish himself out?" Baroviat alone has a half dozen high level mages, if wish worked, they should be able to crack that plane open like an egg.
>>
>>54293632
Half the point of Barovia is to fuck with Strahd and keep him trapped. I don't have the book handy, but it mentions that Strahd wants to find a replacement so he can leave. Disallowing Wish is more about keeping Strahd contained than anything else.
>>
>>54293742
It's pretty convoluted to have any spellcasters with wish at all, considering the ridiculous stuff you can get away with using it. Even if you have half a dozen high level mages, they probably won't have wish. At best they'll be like an archmage with timestop. But then I don't really know these mages.
Not to mention, if they did wish themself out, they risk losing the ability to use wish.
>>
Rolled 6, 13, 3, 15, 6, 15 = 58 (6d20)

>>54293739
Lightning Bolt
>>
>>54293767
That makes more sense, but it still seems pretty lame narratively when wish is on the level of 'to kill demi-gods and to put the Terrasque back to sleep'.

It seems too much to use that level of ungodly power to contain Strahd. You could just murder him with that power. And if you didn't want to murder him, you could easily cast imprisonment, or an upgraded version of it, rather than make some convoluted bullshit-proof realm.
>>
>>54293739
Healing and different unique spells. Wizard gets some really good exclusives at higher levels, Druid gets all their best ones level 1-9. Also you can actually prepare whatever spell you need

As far as classes go, Land Druids and Wizards are pretty much the same. You're a caster with lots of utility and if you use the right spell you can completely demolish and encounter.

If you want to be nature dude using things like Moon Beam, Heat Metal, Spike Growth, Conjure Animals, Tsunami and etc. then go Druid.

If you'd rather be a smart guy who wins with things like Hypnotic Pattern, Counterspell, Fireball, Sleep and Force Cage then go Wizard.

But yeah, they're about the same.
>>
>>54293771
I don't know about the other Dark Lords, but Strahd is nearly a millennia old, and has the witch who taught him, and I think there's a lich there too? If those three combined, with literally as much time as they could ever need, can't figure out how to cast Wish, I don't know why any wizard would be able to.
>>
>>54292729
SUPRISE
its a con item
though i doubt it'll stay that way its a metal tin and plastic dice, not like a limited edition figure or something like that
>>54292734
>>54292736
its official WotC pony stuff, double cause its con merch so they want people to notice and buy
i just wanted to see the reactions, good or bad
>>
>>54293799
that's the thing, though, the powers that be want him to SUFFER for his deeds. They don't want him dead or put away, they want every single moment of his existence to be pure agony.
>>
>>54293815
Then why stop them from being able to use wish and why not just stop them from all getting together and finding a way to cast wish?

It would be so much simpler rather than trying to airtight the whole thing.

>>54293832
Well, I guess if they don't get any amusement of seeing him imprisoned somewhere that kinda works.
>>
>>54293845
>Then why stop them from being able to use wish and why not just stop them from all getting together and finding a way to cast wish?
The sick joke, of that plane, is that you always fail at the last moment. They want them to work all day and night to figure out how to get out and then NOPE, sorry fucker, gotta figure out a different method.

>It would be so much simpler rather than trying to airtight the whole thing.
maybe, maybe not, but the powers that be get their shits and giggles out of watching their prisoners try.

>Well, I guess if they don't get any amusement of seeing him imprisoned somewhere that kinda works.
the Imprisonment spell puts you in stasis. That's boring. Again, they want to watch them try and fail and anguish over it. For Strahd, ruling over a kingdom of nothing, and having his home dangled in front of his nose but forever out of reach is far more agonizing to him than if they just put him in a box forever.
>>
How do you decide what to play after you're not new to the rules anymore (have played many classes and understand them well) but still struggles to understand how to make a character both interesting to play and to work with?
I know this is kind of a complex question but I hope someone can answer it.
>>
>>54293739
Circle spells that wizards don't get such as Pass Without Trace
>>
>>54292707
>>54293632
the whole point of Ravenloft is to trap the wicked in a hell of their own making.
its made by otherworldly beings cobbling together bits of other planes/dimensions. the whole point is no escape, even if you accidentally entered.
it can be argued that if you put in Ravenloft it's becomes your home plane, at least temporarily. it can even be further argued that regardless of who enters the Dark Powers put you there on purpose and you can leave until they want you to
>>
Rolled 4, 2, 4, 8, 18, 9 = 45 (6d20)

I'm the God of dice. Behold!
>>
>>54294078
I have no words.
>>
>>54294078
That's actually impressive
>>
>>54294078
Moon Druid it is, then. Don't have to worry about those bodily stats.

>>54294096
As expected for someone awed by his God.

>>54294177
Just like your doubles.
>>
Rolled 11, 11, 1, 15, 10, 13 = 61 (6d20)

Hold my beer
>>
Human Thief who was an ex-medic in the military, ended up running away from it because he didn't really support what his side was doing. Now works as a mercenary with the rest of the party.

I plan to take the Healer feat at level 1 and then grab Medic at either level 4 or 8. Thoughts on the character?
>>
>>54294222
It's probably for the best. The alcohol in even a Miller Lite might literally kill you
>>
Rolled 15, 10, 5, 9, 9, 19 = 67 (6d20)

behold my wondrous rogue power!
>>
>>54294256
More like a Paladin that can't take a punch.
>>
>>54294256
I'm sensing a Dwarven Swashbuckler in your future.
>>
So I was thinking of allowing humanoids to grow to Large size in my setting if they're super strong. Mechanically, I was going to use stats for something like a Goliath or an Orc because of the "Count as one size larger for carry weight" thing. Is there anything unforeseen balance-wise that could come up with potentially allowing players to be large? Aside from trouble being in buildings and such
>>
>>54294376
It makes reach weapons and PAM even better. Lets PCs grapple Huge creatures.
>>
new thread

>>54294404
>>54294404
>>54294404
>>54294404
>>
>>54294396
>It makes reach weapons and PAM even better
Does reach actually get bigger with size?

> Lets PCs grapple Huge creatures.
I fail to see the problem here.
>>
File: Untitled.png (114KB, 1600x890px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
114KB, 1600x890px
>>54294420
Not him, but I see what he means. That's a lot more yellow he has access to normally
>>
>>54289002
So my level one group have managed to get themselves a large sum of gold, like 250,000. What should I do? What should I expect ?

I'm playing a pretty sandbox game. They're in Waterdeep in the Forgotten Realms at the moment.
>>
File: AbsolutelyHalal.jpg (44KB, 640x539px) Image search: [Google]
AbsolutelyHalal.jpg
44KB, 640x539px
>>54289858
Allahu Akbar?
Thread posts: 347
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.