[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osrg/: Old Surly Grognard General – Fritz Leiber Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 115

File: Elmore Endless Quest.jpg (192KB, 650x758px) Image search: [Google]
Elmore Endless Quest.jpg
192KB, 650x758px
For real, what kind of moron would suggest that the Lankhmar stories aren't swords and sorcery? Stat the ridiculous creature.

Previously: >>54237566
Trove: http://pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
Game finder?: https://discord.gg/qaku8y9
Blogosphere: http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L
In-Browser Tools: http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp
>>
>>54276638
>once again putting more effort into an EPIC XD edition name and a incestuous quip

I bet you're one of the fucks who uses the discord too.
>>
File: Wizard Overlord.jpg (616KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard Overlord.jpg
616KB, 1920x1080px
So for the past like, year, I've been using a very simple no spell level idea for magic system. I originally intended for this to avoid the problems of quadratic casters, but in the end I had to use a linear growth of spell power alongside spell slots, meaning the same effect still happened. Plus, it made spells more boring then in normal D&D since every spell is the same.

With this being said; can anyone give suggestions of how to add in spell slots to a linear, even/odd leveling system that doesn't require a table or too much math? For the record, I want leveling to be something that can keep happening potentially forever, up until epic level adventures and beyond since the rules are simple enough to support it. But I also want them to be simple and intuitive.

For the record, the current system is this;
>Ever EVEN level get +1 spell slot
>Ever ODD level starting at 3rd level get +1 spellpower

How would you include getting more powerful spell slots instead of more spell power in this method?
>>
>>54276720
Don't make me post the castle pasta.
>>
>>54261655
>>54261664
>>54262238
>>54262249
You ought to post these as images or PDFs so I can save them for later instead of reading them at work, thinking they're neat, but probably never incorporating them into my game.
>>
Have any of you used OSR systems for story games?
>>
>>54277086
I'll second that. I like these a lot, but it would be a lot easier to use if they were compiled. You know, by someone else.
>>
>>54276841
Given your objectives (dead-set on avoiding tables, unlimited scalability) you may want to consider a spellcheck system or an MP system instead of spell slots.
>>
>>54277132
Probably. What do you mean by story games?
>>
File: Dungeon_Gourmand_v0_1_4.pdf (92KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Dungeon_Gourmand_v0_1_4.pdf
92KB, 1x1px
Alright, my food rules are mostly complete. I've done 4 sessions testing it out in both S&W and low-level 5e and it seems to work out fairly well, so I figure it's versatile enough not to completely fall apart.

I figure I'll post food tables, charts and descriptions once I've had a chance to polish that some more, but here's the rules themselves if anyone wants to take a look and crib ideas. Been reading a lot of Dungeon Meshi and playing Breath of the Wild, so my mind keeps wandering towards food and rudimentary dungeon fare as of late.
>>
>>54277805
Bits of this seem worth cannibalizing.
>>
File: photo-main.jpg (97KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
photo-main.jpg
97KB, 640x480px
Quick, need some help, /osrg/! My younger brother has been serious about wanting to try to play tabletop RPG again and I'm aware he's too serious about it and for that I am proud. However, he's had a bit of a surprise moment for me when he basically begged me for a solo game. Since my D&D 3e is rusty (and its a terrible system anyway, but im mentioning it because its the only one he's tried yet) I have decided to "go OSR" for the sake of having something both simpler, sleeker and easier to remember and eventually I settled on Scarlet Heroes, which is intended for solo play anyway.

However, I have no idea what to even do. Neither does he have a character concept yet, as this was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment game. Ideally, I'd personally love to channel oldschool Sword & Sorcery (it fits the solo hero thing, obviously) but he has no character concept and at the same time there is no wish for me to pigeonhole him as he already seem a bit sad by how oldschool RPG lack the more granular classes. So what should I do: let him come up with some concept and roll with it? For all I know there is just as much a chance as he'd make some noble, heroic knight-errant as a cutthroat sellsword to some edgelord price like Elric and oddly I'm...fine with it.
>>
File: oh you stupid fuck.gif (2MB, 400x222px) Image search: [Google]
oh you stupid fuck.gif
2MB, 400x222px
>>54277869
Oooh, I'm looking forward to this!
>>
File: osr_classic.jpg (125KB, 500x474px) Image search: [Google]
osr_classic.jpg
125KB, 500x474px
You guys kept pestering us about it, so here is what we think about Storm King Thunder:

https://boccobsblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/storm-kings-thunder-reviewed/

We suppose you also want to know what we think about Tomb of Annihilation. It's a lot of work to prepare these posts. Deep insight and literary analysis packaged for quick and easily digested consumption isn't as effortless to write as we make it seem.
>>
File: support.jpg (14KB, 250x322px) Image search: [Google]
support.jpg
14KB, 250x322px
>>54278192
Yes please! Write the Tomb of Annihilation review yesterday already! I'm so excited I peed my pants!
>>
>>54278192
Is there an in-depth review or is it just the 7 bullet points, half a paragraph and some shilling for stuff on the DM's guild?
>>
>>54277505

I like the fluff of spell slots though. Perperation is pretty key to OSR dungeon crawling, and I was pretty set on having unlimited daily casts minus preperation time for the weak spells.

Maybe once per adventure cast an Empowered version of a basic spell, scaling every other level? Maybe you can stack them on one spell?
>>
File: 1tFLZMR.gif (5MB, 312x230px) Image search: [Google]
1tFLZMR.gif
5MB, 312x230px
>>54278239
>>
>>54278122
>but he has no character concept
Randomize it. Have him roll stats first, then figure out a concept that fits those stats. Heck, if he's willing to try something different, have him roll for race or class or whatever too. Roll on some tables of random background elements like the ones on Skerples' blog to generate additional inspiration.

>what should I do: let him come up with some concept and roll with it?
Homebrewing classes is pretty fun & straightforward in OSR games. Folks have been talking a lot about the GLOG here lately, and it's a great example of how easy it is to personalize D&D to your tastes / the interests of your players.

So yeah, honestly, that wouldn't be a bad idea if you're willing to put in a little extra legwork. Help him figure out what he wants to play, then sketch out a personalized class with a few evocative abilities.
>>
File: dd4lotfp.pdf (7MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
dd4lotfp.pdf
7MB, 1x1px
I can't make my fucking PCs leave this fucking castle alone. They've spent 130k gold on it so far and they keep trying to turn DCC into ACKS and won't even play ACKS. I actually reduced the entire thing to ruins with a massive giant attack and they were like "Oh man this must have something really valuable in the catacombs if a giant army wanted it." And rebuilt it. Dragons blow up towers and they have them rebuilt. They've been doing this so long they're on their third set of PCs, with around 19 level 10 pcs that just sort of wander the fuck around being walking demigods. I have this entire world built and all they want to do is hang out in this castle and "investigate the mysteries." I made the fucking mistake of having one of them, after 10 sessions of digging into the god damn ground, actually find a hidden chamber with a shitty +1 sword and now they've got armies of craftsmen in there, tunneling, holing out and making a small subterranean city. Had them bump into a dwarven thaig or whatever and get invaded, ruining all of their progress. Fuck it, we got lots of gold let's build it all again but this time with more shit. I can't fucking handle this anymore. My players. Will not. Leave. This castle.

>>54278122
>lack the more granular classes
You can be finely-grained or coarsely-grained, but you can't be more granular or less granular.
OSR classes /are/ coarser. They /are not/ more confining. If anything the lack of mechanics makes them less confining, since you have to marry less aspects of your character to their mechanics.
>>
>>54278122
>he has no character concept and at the same time there is no wish for me to pigeonhole him as he already seem a bit sad by how oldschool RPG lack the more granular classes
Your bro sounds kinda dumb to be quite honest.
If Customization is a must then you could use AD&D 2e with kits - just give them a close look so he doesn't end up being that OP triple-classed elf. And Black Streams/Scarlet Heroes solo rules are a must.

>>54278192
>posting 5e on /osr/
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>54278305
>posting 5e on /osr/
I'm almost more offended by the fact that it's less substantial than the reviews you can read on the amazon product page.
>>
>>54277869
This looks very mechanically strong and replicates the mood of eating monsters in Dungeon Meshi, a few questions though. Do you use this alongside death and dismemberment tables or do characters die at 0 hp? In Rule The Third you use the term gourmand, this refers to someone who would eat the meal correct?

Honestly, I think the rules in the pdf are robust enough to stand on their own. Food tables, charts, and descriptions seem cool and all but I think the mechanics you present are what's valuable rather than what the meat of basilisk taste like.
>>
File: butchering-pigs.jpg (125KB, 547x599px) Image search: [Google]
butchering-pigs.jpg
125KB, 547x599px
>>54278326
>I think the mechanics you present are what's valuable rather than what the meat of basilisk taste like.
Agreed, and this is coming from someone who is literally writing a Monster Menu-All right now. This is a solid, compressed, and very useful little PDF.
>>
>>54278305
>Your bro sounds kinda dumb to be quite honest.
He's 16 and cut him so slack having grown up on videogames. The fact he's even entirely willing (and still excited) to give a chance to tabletop RPG, let alone OSR games is by itself good enough for me. He's used to looking at my books of older editions, with splatbooks and feats and row upon row of character options.

There's no need to call him 'dumb'. If anything he's much more smarter than anyone give him credit for, its just that he has some expectations about character creation being more complex and involved, that's all.
>>
File: Got coin.gif (450KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Got coin.gif
450KB, 1280x720px
>>54278326
>Death and dismemberment tables
I don't use them myself, but I have some experience with the tables used in ACKs and I could see them working just fine alongside those rules.

My S&W group uses the 'less harsh rules' from S&W - White Box. Unconscious at 0, die when the player hits negative HP equal to their level, bleed out at 1hp/round.

>this refers to someone who would eat the meal correct?
I was going to just say 'adventurer' but in my playtesting the party kept feeding their hirelings, as if they were real people or something. Toying with 'gourmand.' You intuited the meaning without any explanation, so hopefully the context is strong enough to get the key points across.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm working on 90-ish food sources found in dungeons (50% animal, 50% plant and fungus) but it's slow going and the editing process for that is going to be a bit nastier. I ended up just sitting down and trying to polish the rules themselves, and hopefully it's concise enough to be of use and interesting enough to hold people's attention.

>>54278345
Thanks! Feel free to make use of it however you like, and be sure to share any food-related stuff on /osrg/ so that I can snag it for my own use.
>>
File: tumblr_o9szzptJMg1vzuk3ro1_540.gif (8KB, 520x517px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o9szzptJMg1vzuk3ro1_540.gif
8KB, 520x517px
>>>54276638 Stat the ridiculous creature.
It's been done, see Gygax Apologist (>>54239085)
>>
>>54278348
He has no idea what he wants to play and he's already complaining about not having enough options. That is literally dumb, and you are also literally dumb for defending your brother's literal dumbness, dumbo.
>>
>>54278498
Dude we came up with a game on the spot when he returned from vacation. Excuse him for not being an enlightened pile of mold like you are. It's not like he bitched on a level of 'game ruined' it was more 'Only FOUR classes?'.

You're judging someone and calling them dumb and a lost cause rather than even bothering to see the potential in them becoming better players. This is the kind of retarded mentality which turn people off OSR. Yes, young people are retarded the question is how much effort one is willing to put in redeeming those that can be unfucked.
>>
>>54278533
>'Only FOUR classes?
but Real D&D only has three classes
>>
>>54278533
Don't worry. >>54278498 is just being a cantankerous piece of shit.
>>
>>54278608
Back in his day, I imagine THAT GUYS did not exist. Everything was perfect until those damn fangled kids invented character sheets or something.
>>
File: l6w2dAA.jpg (37KB, 640x413px) Image search: [Google]
l6w2dAA.jpg
37KB, 640x413px
>>54278624
It all went downhill when dice were invented.
>>
>>54278624
>we only had 2 alignments
>and they were up hill both ways!
>>
>>54278533
If can't take a little bit of banter then you really shouldn't be on 4chan. It's not like I called him a retard.

>You're judging someone and calling them dumb
Yes, an I've got a feeling I'm accurate or you wouldn't be so defensive.

>and a lost cause
Never said that.

>see the potential in them becoming better players
With you as the GM? Unlikely.

>>54278608
I gave him advice, which was to use 2e. Not my fault he got triggered.
>>
>>54276841
>but in the end I had to use a linear growth of spell power alongside spell slots,
No. You didn't have to do that. You /decided/ to do.

You're perfectly capable of saying (a) spells slots increase, but spell potency doesn't or (b) spell potency increase, but spell slots don't.
Normally, the latter would be really screwy in long sessions. But I know you let Wizards prepare spells in turns, so it works out.

The former means powerful Wizards are more effective against large groups than large individuals.
That latter gives powerful Wizards a larger range of things to be good at, but also means they do less each combat.

If you insist on that even/odd thing, give wizards something else?
They have a limited amount of counterspelling throughout the day.
They you stick a limit on their spells known.
They're known for keeping stupid amounts of trained hounds.
They have infallible recall out some number of turns.
They just get better saves.

I don't know man, you do you.
If you clearly want to do other things, then do other things.
>>
>>54278699
>can't handle teh bantz like me cuz I'm tough on the internet
>>
>>54278699
Not either of those two, but....

Boy, can you be more of a dribbling cocksleeve?
>>
>>54278734
t. dumbo
>>
>>54278789
Not either of those two, but....

Dude he came up with a post on the spot when he returned from funposting. Excuse him for not being an enlightened pile of mold like you are. It's not like he bitched on a level of 'thread ruined' it was more 'ur dumb'.

You're judging someone and calling them a dribbling cocksleeve and a lost cause rather than even bothering to see the potential in them becoming better players. This is the kind of retarded mentality which turn people off OSR. Yes, young people are retarded the question is how much effort one is willing to put in redeeming those that can be unfucked.
>>
All right, clearly the thread is done producing anything productive.
>>
File: tano-bonfanti-final.jpg (702KB, 1920x2840px) Image search: [Google]
tano-bonfanti-final.jpg
702KB, 1920x2840px
>>54278854
And it's barely started...
>>
>>54278854
This might be the worst /osrg/ I've seen in a while.

Even this >>54272264 is starting to look like an attractive alternative.
>>
File: 1499188795351.png (3MB, 2735x1821px) Image search: [Google]
1499188795351.png
3MB, 2735x1821px
>>54278980
Well good news, I suppose. v1.999 of Tomb of the Serpent Kings is almost done, ready to usher in a fresh wave of shitposts and bile (and possibly some helpful commentary).
>>
File: tripus_aureus_2.jpg (152KB, 780x558px) Image search: [Google]
tripus_aureus_2.jpg
152KB, 780x558px
>>54278854
>>54278980
>>54276439
>>
>>54276638
>Stat the ridiculous creature
Isn't that just a Water Weird?
>>
File: read. comprehend.png (72KB, 379x101px) Image search: [Google]
read. comprehend.png
72KB, 379x101px
>>54279087
>what kind of moron would suggest that the Lankhmar stories aren't swords and sorcery?
>>
Where's that blog post about using bullet points to list dungeon rooms in modules?

Room Name
-Thing
-Thing
-Thing
----Smell
-Thing
----Treasure value

Something like that? I know I've seen it...
>>
>>54279224
Bryce on tenfootpole kinda champions that except it's
>room name
>things party will notice at a glance
>things party will notice after some examination
>misc. info
>>
File: 1442592872902.gif (612KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1442592872902.gif
612KB, 320x240px
>>54279256
That might be it. But whereeeeere? I cannot find it.
>>
File: RedDragonDance.gif (2MB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
RedDragonDance.gif
2MB, 252x200px
>>54279043
Also, this map. 5' squares or 10' squares? Cast your votes now.

I ran it with 5' squares, but 10' might be... better? Idk.
>>
>>54279371
That's tough, dude. I'm partial to 5' squares, but someone (I think the Anon who put together that map?) made a good point that 10' squares turn the Basilisk room into this dark, cavernous chamber that totally enhances the feel of the encounter.
>>
File: We Live Here Now.png (612KB, 2602x1361px) Image search: [Google]
We Live Here Now.png
612KB, 2602x1361px
>>54279371
I cast my lot for 3 meters.

Apropos of nothing,
00, 11, 22, 33, 34, 35, 44, 55, 66, 73, 77, 88, or 99
wins an MS Paint class of their choice.

Get it within the next hour, or you'll have to wait like 17.
>>
>>54279462
>>54279462
>an MS Paint class of their choice.
Japanese Elf Waifu
>>
>>54279488
>Get it within the next hour,
...that was quick.
>>
File: Scaling of TotSk.png (1MB, 996x733px) Image search: [Google]
Scaling of TotSk.png
1MB, 996x733px
>>54279402
Even with 10' squares, it's 50' wide and 110' long. That's not as big as you think.
>>
File: 1281135973084.jpg (1MB, 1295x1935px) Image search: [Google]
1281135973084.jpg
1MB, 1295x1935px
>>54279462
>I cast my lot for 3 meters.
I wish more stuff was written in the metric system. I'd switch all my stuff over in a heartbeat, but the American OSR audience really loves their furlongs and hogsheads.
>>
>>54279595
To be fair, 3m is almost 10ft - it's like 9.9ft. You could swap the two without any issues whatsoever.
>>
File: 1.jpg (61KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
61KB, 600x398px
>>54279631
>that's the joke
More or less. But saying "your torch illuminates 9 meters" and "your lamp consumes 200mL of oil per hour" is going to mean fuck-all to an american audience, tragically. Ah well.

To be fair though, there was once a joke question on our version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" that went "what is your weight... in kilograms?"
>>
>>54279685
I'm still gunning for the abstract

"Your torch illuminates 8 squares" and "your lamp burns 1/3 of its oil"
>>
I'm considering giving GLOG wizards 2 magic dice per template instead of one.
How bad of an idea is this?
>>
File: osrg.png (11KB, 363x357px) Image search: [Google]
osrg.png
11KB, 363x357px
>>54279837
>>
File: justin-cherry-the-strandwolf.jpg (213KB, 1920x1504px) Image search: [Google]
justin-cherry-the-strandwolf.jpg
213KB, 1920x1504px
>>54279837
Not good, I think. It would make a fireball spell do 2d6 at 1st level and 8d6!!! at 4th level. I have no idea how that would interact with the spells I've written, but at a glance, I'd say "badly."

What are you worried about? Underpowered wizards?
>>
>>54279873
The potential angle I could sympathize with is that a GLOG wizard might run out of magic too fast for some DMs' tastes—but then there's probably a better solution to that problem, like making dice return to your pool on a roll of 1-4 or something.
>>
>>54279948
Or changing the GM's tastes? But yes, the dice return thing is still good. Leveling up helps a lot though.
>>
File: 52a.jpg (77KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
52a.jpg
77KB, 312x445px
>>54279837
>>54279948
>GLOG
>>
>>54279873
Honestly, I would limit a singular spell's MD input to 4.
The GLOG does it nicely and all, but I feel the wizards lag behind a tiny bit compared to b/x ones.
>>
File: 1497999658462.jpg (83KB, 736x1312px) Image search: [Google]
1497999658462.jpg
83KB, 736x1312px
>>54280148
>The GLOG does it nicely and all, but I feel the wizards lag behind a tiny bit compared to b/x ones.
I guess the followup question is "and is that a bad thing?" Unfog those nostalgia goggles and give it a good critical look, especially when balanced against the other GLOG classes.
>>
>>54280148
What I personally went ahead and did was to give Wizards an ability that lets them roll a d4 instead of a d6. Just a single d4. Spells needs to have a sum component for this to work. Return chance is increased, but the power output is much smaller.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEt2XdN_TbQ

>>54279488
>

>>54279685
We've been on the metric system since 1893.
The trouble is the schools refuse to teach it.
>>
File: Japanese Elf Waifu.png (1MB, 2471x885px) Image search: [Google]
Japanese Elf Waifu.png
1MB, 2471x885px
*fixed a typo
>>
>>54279043
Anyway, while I'm finishing the document, how does these formats look for a "system-less" stat block:

Black Pudding
Found In: Room (14)
Stats: as a black pudding
Appearance: 200lbs of black slime, thick as treacle
Wants: food, fears fire
Armor: leather
Hit Dice: 5
Move: ¼ normal
Morale: 12
Damage: 1d6. If prolonged contact (cornered or absorbed), 3d6.
Takes no damage from bludgeoning weapons. The black pudding can target any number of PCs adjacent to it each round, making a normal attack roll for each. If it corners a PC, it begins to absorb them, dealing 3d6 damage per round. Metal or wood weapons used to strike the black pudding have a 10% chance to dissolve. If killed, the black pudding will regenerate in 1d20 hours unless burned. If it is free, add it to the Wandering Monster Table (replacing one of the Omen results).

And my "Quick Reference" sheet, a 1/2 page list of useful info for the end of the document that briefly describes each room, the treasure inside, and monsters?

3, 4. Tombs
2x1 - 20’x10’x8’ high
Smells like dust, rotted fabric
Crude stonework, paintings of leaping snakes.
One wooden coffin painted with abstract scenes.
Statue - > gold amulet (1gp), poison gas trap.

5. Door/Hammer Trap
Stone door, opens inwards, barred. Lifting bar activates trap.

6. False King’s Tomb
4x7 – 40’x70’x10’ high
Smells like dust, bone, mildew
Crude stonework, crumbling paintings of landscapes.
Three wooden coffins along the north wall, one larger than the others, painted with sleeping snake-men. Coffins contain skeletons (pg. 8)

7. False Temple
2x2 – 20’x20’x10’ high
Smells strongly of mildew
Trickle of water down the wall, and a trail of water on the floor. Incredibly ugly stone idol with a dark gap underneath.
>>
>>54279837
>>54279948
Here's what I would do:

Wizards can vacate spell slots for the day to get +1 MD on the unprepared spell's cast.
The extra die returns to their pool as normal, provided they stay within their MD limit.
I'd also nix MD replenishing through sleep.
>>
>>54280287
>>54280301
This is satisfactory.
>>
File: birds.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
birds.gif
999KB, 250x251px
>>54280303
Black Pudding (Room 14): as a black pudding
Wants food, Wants cornered food, Fears fire
200lbs of black slime, thick as treacle
>color the words Armor, Hit Dice, Move, Moralr, and Damage differently for each other
Armor: leather Hit Dice: 5
Move: ¼ normal Morale: 12
Damage: 1d6, 3d6 for prolonged contact
Notes: No damage from bludgeoning weapons. Attacks each adjacent PC each round. 10% chance to dissolve weapons. Regrows in 1d20 hours unless burned.
>If it is free, add it to the Wandering Monster Table (replacing one of the Omen results).
>Only matters once (when they modify the table). Belongs in the room notes, not the quick ref.

3, 4. Tombs
2x1 - 20’x10’x8’ high
Smell dust, rotten fabric.
Crude stone, paint of leaping snakes.
Wood coffin painted abstract.
Statue - > gold amulet (1gp), poison gas.

5. Trap That is Impossible to Describe
Barred stone door, opens inward. Bar is trapped.

6. False King’s Tomb
4x7 – 40’x70’x10’ high
Smell mildew, dust, bone.
Crude stone, crumbling paint landscapes.
Three wood coffins N, painted sleeping snake-men. Contain 3 skeletons (pg. 8).

7. False Temple
2x2 – 20’x20’x10’ high
Smell mildew, mildew, mildew.
Wall trickles water, trail on floor. Very ugly stone idol, dark gap underneath.

And maybe Patrick Stuart it up a little?
Does room 6 smell like whispers? Of course it does!
>>
>>54280612
Didn't show up because 4chan doesn't support the characters (what were the odds?), but
>200lbs of black slime, thick as treacle
was meant to be bracketed by WHITE RIGHT POINTING INDEX and WHITE LEFT POINTING INDEX.
>>
>>54278716

Really appreciate you answering my question, minus the pedantic rant at the start.

But seriously, I'm all for giving Wizards something strong and useful to grow as they level, but without keeping them as one trick ponies.

One solution may be to let Wizards prepare a certain number of great spells per adventure. Not daily, just for the whole adventure session or at least until they get downtime. Or it could be that some of the Wizards spell slots get upgraded- from first level to second to third. It's just hard to convey that information as a short blurb like how I do it.
>>
File: Shera Greenwood.png (135KB, 222x514px) Image search: [Google]
Shera Greenwood.png
135KB, 222x514px
>>54280444
I'm kinda miffed by the Marcille in the bottom right.
I was trying to make a joke about those overpriced figures, but I don't think it conveyed properly.

Probably should have used the elf from Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo Dorei Majutsu for that slot...
>>
>>54280727
Burn multiple slots of the same spell to cast it once at higher potency?
>>
I feel like OSR general is the only non cancer general that dosen't consist of retards, le ebin memes and furries...
>>
File: Professor.gif (2MB, 500x271px) Image search: [Google]
Professor.gif
2MB, 500x271px
>>54280807
We're all pretty deep in the first two and our resident avatarfag is the third.
>>
>>54276720
What died in your cereal? And no, I've never even touched the Discord. I made the thread because nobody had made the thread.
>>
>>54280759

That would probably be the best solution. Make them prepare a bunch of spells for a regular big burst. Limited based on spell slots and time to prepare.

If this is the case though, and Wizards get more slots at even levels, what should they get at odd levels?
>>
>>54280821
Have you seen the other generals?
>>
>>54278498
Jesus Christ. What the fuck happened to /osrg/? Sorry about the newfag, >>54278533.
>>
>>54276638
>Stat the ridiculous creature.
Oaf: HD 2, AC 9, MV 30', ATK 1, DMG 1d4, Save F2, ML 12, AL C.
The Oaf is a mindless creature which will attack anything good, uttering bellows of rage. It isn't really that dangerous a combatant, however; the threat it poses comes mainly from its unbreakable morale and the fact that it is permanently under the effects of the non-magical equivalent of a Mind Blank.
>>
>>54281737
>will attack anything good
Doy, that was meant to say "anything Lawful", actually. Just forgot to switch it.
>>
>>54279837

You're forgetting about Magic Robes, Wands and Staves in GLOG. Those items give extra MD.
>>
Is crawling under a broken moon basically a zine to enable Thundarr the barbarian using DCC?
>>
>>54279043
If you release v2 before I run the dungeon on Saturday I'll love you forever
>>
Looking for systems for non-magical diseases if anyone knows of any.
>>
>>54285107
I just have diseases deal a certain amount of ability score damage a day and require 3 successful saves to over come. Every day you get to make a new save, if successful then you do not take the ability score damage. If you get to 0 in an ability score that's the disease being lethal. Modest medicine allows a new save with no penalty for failure while potent medicine cures disease. The different rates of ability score damage lets you make differing diseases with different levels of severity. For example Flu 1d2 Strength damage, Hemorrhagic Fever 1d4+1 Constitution damage, Shilling-Your-Blog-in-OSRitis 1d4 Charisma and Intelligence damage. I hope this helps.
>>
I've seen Skerples mentioned in passing a few times, not always favorably. I've read a few of his posts, and found them entertaining and educational. Is there some reason that he seems to be a skub topic?
>>
>>54286245
He posted quite a lot a few weeks back and I think that started to annoy people. There was also a lot of linking to blogs (not just his) and things got a lot less anon than usual. He also uses the GLOG system which I don't think everyone here likes too much.
>>
>>54286331
>I don't think everyone here likes too much.
It's a fourth wave system (>>54244097) so any "conversion" to or from the GLoG is actually (effort intensive) rebuilding from scratch.
I'm fairly certain that's the /only/ reason we care.
>>
>>54286245
He makes good stuff for the most part, don't get me wrong, but if someone asked a question that even tangentially related to one of his blog posts he would shill his blog. It got to be a bit much. Personally I'm glad he and others are making content, that's the great thing about this general, but he was really aggressive about it. Fortunately it seems to have calmed down at least marginally.

Also some of his ideas and such are... controversial. Like taxes.
>>
>>54285982
I mean, that works, but I was thinking more so that I don't have to make stuff up about diseases which I know next to nothing about because I live in a first-world country.

Ideally I'd want something which had a way to actually use it in a game. Like ideas on how to handle catching diseases when there's an outbreak of plague in the area, rather than just rules for what happens once you've caught the disease.
>>
>>54286519
I see. That makes a good deal more sense. I can definitely see how he'd be a skubby topic with that behavior. Any other controversial work he's done, if you don't mind my asking? I really liked the work he did about taxes, the sources he linked, and the follow-up post about three estates. I have half a mind to use it in the next game, assuming there is to be any amount of RPing and eventual fief or kingdom management. Definitely not ideal for a lot of dungeon-crawl-y games, though.
>>
If we're going to shill blogs, I read a recent post on Basic Red since everyone since it was taken down (actually back up). The idea was Dungeons = XP.

What is considered a 'completed' dungeon?
>>
>>54286519
>Like taxes.
That made sense to me when I though he gave treasure in gold and advancement by copper.
But apparently one of his GLoG houserules is advancement on the gold standard, so I can't quite grok his tax obsession.
>>
>>54286852
>What is considered a 'completed' dungeon?
All monsters killed/enslaved, all treasure found, all magic removed, entire area excavated and findings donated to a museum, settlement created nearby for further archeological studies.
>>
Skerples' work on taxes ventures way too far into the 'no fun zone' for me. It's an evocative idea though, and while I don't want to weave taxes into the campaign's framework I'm looking forward to including the occasional aristocratic asshole who demands a slice of the pie.
>>
>>54286777
>>54286864
Honestly in terms of historical stuff, his taxes and three estates articles are great. (Most of his historical research stuff like his tables based on French and Byzantine history is great as well, on that note.) But in terms of them as a game element? Less enjoyable.

Most of his stuff is fine, but he does use the GLOG as >>54286331 says which is... debatable, and some of his Learning Dungeon people had a problem with. (Personally, I thought the Learning Dungeon was great.)
>>
File: into-the-odd-game.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
into-the-odd-game.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>54286852
Into the Odd gives "xp" for coming back alive with something to show for your trouble.
>>
File: Freddy BEGONE THOT.jpg (40KB, 662x662px) Image search: [Google]
Freddy BEGONE THOT.jpg
40KB, 662x662px
>>54286519
>>54286777
>>54286864
>>54286967
>>54287028

Skerples tax rules are shit. There is literally no difference between skerples saying that the players owe "100% of what they make in the dungeon to their local lord" then just beating his dick off by making the party lose over and over to a super powerful DMPC.

"Oh well you're all level one and in the low classes so you have to suck this lord's dick to progress in feudal society hmhmm~ don't you know that you're not allowed to have FUN until you've earned it yes"

It's seriously perverse and fucked up. I thank the lord I will never play in one of his games and feel sorry for whatever poor players has to play with someone so arrogant and egotistical that they believe the advancement and success of the players should be taken away from them to fuel some pathetic neckbeard power fantasy.

Fuck Skerples. Fuck his tax system. It's not fun, it's not "realistic", it's just you jerking off and making your poor players give you your power fantasy. Stop it.
>>
>>54287075

I wouldn't want to play in a campaign where the system was enforced either... but I don't see what's ahistorical about it.

Other than the class of people who delve into subterranean ruins and come back out with inexplicable quantities of gold and silver, ofc.
>>
File: mega-dungeon0006b.jpg (2MB, 2467x3169px) Image search: [Google]
mega-dungeon0006b.jpg
2MB, 2467x3169px
Is there some standard for dungeon key numbering I'm missing?

Why don't they just go 1, 2, 3... from left to right, top to bottom?
>>
>>54287480
The first room is generally the main entrance, and I assume that the numbers after that are based on playtesting or something. Probably following the route most normally taken, with some adjustments here and there.
>>
>>54287480
They start at the entrance and spread outward. It makes the dungeon more confusing to learn but easier to run.
>>
>>54278274
buy Veins of the Earth, put it below the castle. Your game is now an underdark game.
>>
How do you prefer spell names? Short and vague or unnecessarily flowery?

>Hex
or
>Curse of the Weakener's Tongue
>>
Is goblinpunch dead? Dude hasn't posted in weeks
>>
>>54288331
Either dead, vacation, or is working on something big.
>>
>>54287075
But there is a big difference. Skerpels's tax system is inherently tied into the notion of a fuedal medieval setting and is a consequence of that setting. The point of a struggle to commit tax fraud is intentional rather than accidental consequence. He wants that to be a part of the game and so creates incentive for it. That's not your thing and you don't have to play in his game. You can have your own version of what someone else deems "bad wrong fun" else where.

On a side note fuck you and anyone who decries something because it's not "realistic" in a tabletop rpg. If you want to make your autistic real life simulator go ahead, but RPGs use abstractions for a reason. That reason being: to facilitate play, the reason that rolls get reduced to so few factors is because if you had to consult twelve different table every time you wanted to determine if someone hit with their attack then you could barely play a game where combat was a big deal of what occurs.
>>
What setting haves flying ships? i want to do something like final fantasy 4

also is dark dungeons good for high fantasy play?
>>
>>54276638
The pic is from the cover of the first Endless Quest book, Dungeon of Dread. It was my favorite childhood read. I would hide it under my pillow and read it by the light of my AA-battery-powered Transformers Tryptochon sentry cannon. Getting caught would mean confiscation and a brutal beating, but it was worth it. In my fundamentalist Christian household, it was the only way I could play D&D. Most don't know that the author, Rose Estes, was in a horrible car accident that affected her cognition and ended her career. If I could, I would make sure she would never want for anything ever again, because that book got me through some horrible times. Thanks for the good memories, OP. I'm sending you warm thoughts today.
>>
>>54286245
Honestly, I've been here since long before that guy started his blog and I can honestly say I have no fucking clue why a couple guys here sperg hard about him. He doesn't even namefag, yet they go out of their way to trace his image use and similar shit, like some sort of reverse avatarfagging. Every time I see that shitloss I just shake my head.

I'm mentioning this just so you and others understand that there isn't some sort of massive threadwide skub divide, it's just a couple vocal guys.
>>
>>54278274
Nuke the area. See how much they like radiation poisoning.
>>
>>54289326
>The pic is from the cover of the first Endless Quest book
Yeah I kn--
>rest of post
God DAMN, boy!

Anon, this is OP speaking to you over the unfathomable distances of electronic space to say: right back at you. Keep rolling those dice and enjoy life, man.
>>
>>54288298
I'm usually down for a mix of those, and tend to make up/make references with them when they encounter a scroll/magic user. The campaign we're wrapping up at the moment has technogreek scifantasy so I was calling magic missile 'Omega Beam' and stuff like that. nobody got the reference though

Sometimes we'd forget and it would just be the name from the book. It ended up being a hodgepodge but that seemed more plausible anyway.

I'm interested in figuring out how to port Freebooters On The Frontier's spell system over for the next game though. Its a huge table of 'verb the adjective noun' that you make up the spell for.
>>
What are the best random wilderness encounter tables?

Also, how best to spice up a group of bandits ambushing the party on the road?
>>
>>54289796
Any that include a Tarrasque.
>>
File: Peasant Village & Farmland.pdf (110KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Peasant Village & Farmland.pdf
110KB, 1x1px
>>54289796
I've been getting a lot of mileage out of the one in Hubris and Yoon-Suin. There's an anon who posts good ones here sometimes too.

Yoon-Suin has a bunch of stuff for bandits too.
>>
>>54284432
It shall be so. All I have left is the Summary Page and comments from the peanut gallery.

>>54286245
IDK man. This is /tg/. People here have argued against fun and happiness unironically. Not in the abstract. The very concepts. I wouldn't take the aggregate opinion of /osr/ on any topic too seriously.

>>54287075
I think the idea of why this isn't just "and Elminster shows up to kill-steal" is explained in the "why" post, but anyway...

If you want to play in a money-based D&D economy there are dozens of rules set for it. Get treasure, spend treasure, get land, build stuff, be lords, retire fat and happy. From AD&D to ACKS, it's out there.

But feudalism is... messy. It doesn't work on a money-based economy, it works on a reputation-based economy. And you can use money to game the system.

It also makes the PCs play smart. Don't like losing money to your lord in taxes? Good! Play /smart/ and you get to be rich /and/ get position in the society.

When I get around to writing up my next post for the TotSK game, you'll get to see it in action. One player was confused, one player didn't like it at first, but a third immediately got the idea and was like "guys, the money doesn't matter. It's just money. I have a plan that'll make us all 10x richer if we pay /some/ taxes." And it was beautiful. They're all on board now. One of them wants to become a tax collector.

It's just a resource transition. But again, if you don't like it and you don't want to use it... that's fine. It's not like there's one right way to run a game.

> I thank the lord I will never play in one of his games and feel sorry for whatever poor players has to play with someone so arrogant and egotistical that they believe the advancement and success of the players should be taken away from them to fuel some pathetic neckbeard power fantasy.
Can I hand this out to my players next session? Possibly get it printed on a shirt? Because... this doesn't really match how things are going...
>>
File: 1496262451317.jpg (314KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
1496262451317.jpg
314KB, 1200x600px
>>54289326
Random people are sending you warm thoughts back.
>>54288331
He's on G+ a little bit. His release schedule is usually pretty variable.
>>54288421
Pretty much exactly right.

Also, speaking of "realism", I wrote a poem: https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/osr-poem-of-peasant-grievances.html
>>
Anyone know whom to commission for some maps and game art?
>>
>>54289978
>Chichevache

Neat. Thanks.
>>
>>54290150
Dyson is the go-to maps guy.

For art I'd suggest Zhu Bajie for B&W, Nate Marcel for watercolor.
>>
Mageblade! Zero

Anyone got it?
>>
>>54287075
Not even Bretonnian nobles tax their peasants 100%. Stop being retarded.
>>
>>54290073
'Fucking' stopped sounding like a real word about halfway through the third stanza. Also
>The fucking knights are fucking beasts
Deliberate ambiguity, or happy accident?
>>
>>54289114
What are some good campaign creation templates?
>>
File: wyverndouce308.jpg (201KB, 921x862px)
wyverndouce308.jpg
201KB, 921x862px
>>54290340
>Deliberate ambiguity, or happy accident?
:)
>>54290282
He's actually not wrong.

Obviously, peasants aren't taxed at 100% on usual peasant stuff. That would be stupid. You'd very rapidly end up with no peasants.

But on treasure they just found... in the ground... on your land?

If a comcast guy comes over to your house and finds a $50 bill and your grandfather's watch that you dropped behind the bookcase, do you go "Cool, that's yours now. Finders keepers?". Nope. You might reward him, sure, but it's a reward, not a percentage.

Peasants are taxed on treasure and loot at 100%, just you are in the real world.
>>
>>54290282

Are you so fucking retarded you can't see the guy was mocking skerples for saying peasants were taxed at 100%?
>>
File: spell examples.pdf (85KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
spell examples.pdf
85KB, 1x1px
>>54280759
>>54281255

I've started writing up this potential system. I realize looking back over it I probably made the spell circles go up a bit too high, even for epic level campaigns, and they're probably too weak for the investment.

Basically each 'circle' is the number of spell slots you have to prepare of that spell and then burn to get that effect. So someone with 5 spell slots prepared on Conveyance can either cast a 5th Circle conveyance spell, or 5 1st circle ones, or a 2nd and 3rd circle, you get the idea.

Any thoughts on this?
>>
>>54290487
Dude he came up with a post on the spot when he saw your shitpost. Excuse him for not being an enlightened pile of mold like you are. It's not like he bitched on a level of 'Skerples did nothing wrong' it was more 'that's not true'.

You're judging someone and calling them fucking retarded and a lost cause rather than even bothering to see the potential in them becoming better posters. This is the kind of retarded mentality which turn people off /osrg/. Yes, /tg/ people are retarded the question is how much effort one is willing to put in redeeming those that can be unfucked.
>>
>>54291205
I can't make my fucking PCs leave this fucking castle alone.
>>
Is there an anime setting?
>>
File: no.gif (286KB, 220x164px) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
286KB, 220x164px
>>54291300
>>54291205
>>54290487
>>
>>54291338

See >>54280301
>>
>>54291372
Lol
>>
File: Campaign Worksheet.pdf (515KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Campaign Worksheet.pdf
515KB, 1x1px
>>54290398
I like this one. Do it with the players. Beyond The Wall/Further Afield has a whole bunch of cool stuff for campaign generation. If you're more traditional the AD&D dmg has a bunch of useful tables that'll get you through it really. I like yoon-suin a bunch too.

These aren't exactly templates but How To Host A Dungeon and Welcome To Corpathium are a good time for solo world building (works with groups too if everyone's chill). Microscope if you want to do EPIC SAGA world building, but that's getting a bit far from osr imo. Had a good time with The Quiet Year too.

Judge's Guild has a lot of cool stuff in wilderlands of high fantasy, raging swan does surprisingly useful collections of tables and I hear good shit about... I think its called The Border Princes for whfrp. I'm probably forgetting a bunch of cool shit, but that's a good start.
>>
>>54291338
...what does that even mean?
>>
>>54291763
Maybe something like uresia, final fantasy or dragon quest
>>
>>54291952
You could run Uresia/ff with just straight up b/x or ad&d. I thought Lodos War was directly based on a d&d campaign. Might have to do something about character powerlevel though. I'm under the impression FF has a lot of grinding against monsters for xp which is basically the opposite of osr.
>>
>>54292182
that is a mechanic added to increase playtime. You can run at least up to FF6 using any OSR systrm of your choice.
>>
>>54292396
is there an OSR with a summoner class and all the over the top stuff?
>>54292182
Well you can kill monsters for xp if you want but that is certainly going to kill you
>>
>>54292446
>is there an OSR with a summoner class and all the over the top stuff?

LotFP has a summon spell and it's over the top, will that do?
>>
File: overly literal translation.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
overly literal translation.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>54292446
>an OSR with a summoner class
>desire to shill intensifies

Ah fuck it. I have no idea if this matches your shows about the transforming schoolgirls and flying magic cats, but it's certainly over-the-top
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/04/osr-class-summoner.html
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/04/osr-100-entities-you-can-summon.html
>>
I want to run Stars Without Number but I'm scared of the Swan Song comparisons.
>>
File: LotFP Summon.png (3MB, 1360x4823px) Image search: [Google]
LotFP Summon.png
3MB, 1360x4823px
>>54292473
>>54292446
http://summon.totalpartykill.ca/

>>54292559
>Swan Song comparisons
Not familiar with that, but SWN is nearly pure Bx.
>>
>>54292477
>Expect 100 entities
>Only 50

Why you lie to me anon
>>
>>54292686
What character classes/options does LotFP haves?
>>
>>54292686
That spell is so dumb. Way to make the game slow to a crawl for the gimmick of "you can end the world at 1st level by mistake!"

And those abstract forms really could be 3-4 sentences instead of 2 paragraphs each.
>>
>>54292708
Cleric, Fighter, Magic-User, Specialist, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling.

It's Bx with slot based inventory, a variant Thief, and that weird Summon spell.
It doesn't get mentioned as much, but more importantly it nerfs non-Fighters.
(effectively buffing Fighters and imported monsters)
>>
>>54292690
>>54292477
Finish yer shit, Skrepls
>>
>>54292690
I meant to write them, I really did! But I locked my keys in the car! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! A total party kill! Locusts! IT WASN’T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!
>>
>>54292784
It also adds a d6 skill system, a variant encumbrance system, different equipment including new weapons and armor with different damage and AC ratings, different XP progressions, a whole bunch of subsystems like tinkering and property upkeep, and a silver standard that makes it incompatible with non-LotFP modules.

I really don't get why people keep saying "it's just B/X" or similar. It's certainly OSR in spirit but not in compatibility.
>>
>>54292767
>And those abstract forms really could be 3-4 sentences instead of 2 paragraphs each.
Zak S. does have a talent for using 2 words when 1 will do. To be fair though, the entire hobby suffers from this.
>>
>>54292845
>To be fair though, the entire hobby suffers from this.

Matt Finch, Michael Curtis and Greg Gillespie are authors I'd list as good examples of getting it right.
>>
>>54292838
>slot based inventory, a variant Thief,
>d6 skill system, a variant encumbrance,
Uh-huh.

And the other changes are superficial.
>silver standard that makes it incompatible
Kuddos to you, it's been a while since /tg/ was funny.
>>
Is there any magic system that isn't shit?
>>
>>54293070
Are the any unambiguous relative questions?
>>
>>54293070
I'm partial to the Time Wizards system of dice-pool slapping.
>>
Do you have to deal with players that say "Hey gm why i cant cast like 10 spells a day and do some awesome shit like in x game?
>>
File: 1488759495278.gif (287KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
1488759495278.gif
287KB, 500x300px
>>54293198
No.
>>54293070
Insufficient data to answer question.
>>54293126
YES.
>>
File: uroboros.jpg (104KB, 254x316px) Image search: [Google]
uroboros.jpg
104KB, 254x316px
I too have been banging my head against the perverse D&D magic system. After considrable research, I discovered it can be repaired by adding as few as 3 new spells:

CAST ANY SPELL (1st level) - when casting this spell, the spellcaster chooses any spell of any level. The chosen spell then takes effect.

MEMORIZE MULTIPLE SPELLS (1st level) - when cast, the spellcaster selects a list of spells of any length, of which each spell may be of any level. Those spells then take the "slot" of the MEMORIZE MULTIPLE SPELLS spell in the memory of the spellcaster.

INVENT SPELL (1st level) - allows the spellcaster to invent a spell. The invented spell can take effect immediately, or can take the slot of the INVENT SPELL spell.
>>
File: no u.png (142KB, 446x400px) Image search: [Google]
no u.png
142KB, 446x400px
>>54293406
>>
How do you build new character classes? you know for those players that want to play a frogman gunslinger or some shit like that
>>
File: 1.png (262KB, 918x1182px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
262KB, 918x1182px
>>54293447
Someone has done the groundwork for you.
>>
>>54293447
First, furiously google to see what clever people have done (like http://www.lastgaspgrimoire.com/religion-is-a-nest-of-serpents/)
Second, steal their stuff and mash it together
Third, ignore it for 2 days, then come back and reread the entire thing

Alternatively, tell them, "sorry, no. It's Barbarian, Fighter, Knight, Paladin, Summoner, Thief, or one of the 9 kinds of Wizard."
>>
File: 2.png (157KB, 918x1182px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
157KB, 918x1182px
>>54293469
>>
>>54293479
9 kinds of wizard?
>>
File: 3.png (148KB, 916x1180px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
148KB, 916x1180px
>>54293485
>>
File: 4.png (167KB, 916x1180px) Image search: [Google]
4.png
167KB, 916x1180px
>>54293497
>>
So which is better ability scores from -2 to +2 or -3 to +3 at initial levels
>>
File: Cast Fist.jpg (75KB, 485x720px) Image search: [Google]
Cast Fist.jpg
75KB, 485x720px
>>54293493
Yup. 10 if you are an Elf. https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/osr-class-wizards.html
>>
File: 5.png (238KB, 915x1180px) Image search: [Google]
5.png
238KB, 915x1180px
>>54293507
>>
>>54293447
iirc there is a google spread sheet with classes and races for osr
>>
File: 596.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
596.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>54293508
d6 for a random attribute.
Distribute +&-1 to the rolled attribute and an attribute of your choice.

Then, you may to roll d12 for +/-1 to a random attribute.
You don't have to roll the d12, and it can be a previously modified attribute.

>>54293447
The write-up can be as busy, but should not be busier than, the Thief's.
At level 1, it should be no more powerful than a level 2 fighter.

Beyond that, do whatever. Just hike the xp tables until it feels good.
>>
Question: I'm running Caverns of Thracia, and there's a secret door on the north side of room 31; where does it go? I can't find anything.
>>
>>54290073
Now put it to hurdy-gurdy and sing.
>>
File: Q7cIOGt.gif (3MB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
Q7cIOGt.gif
3MB, 640x359px
>>54294151
>Now put it to hurdy-gurdy and sing.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Er35AFhfyHbnpuZm83b3lYMGM/view

https://youtu.be/kLp_Hh6DKWc

That's the best you're going to get. And no, it's not me. It's some guy from G+ who recorded it in a hurry.
>>
>>54294313
>Whoops. There was a problem playing this audio file.

If I try to save it to use another player:
>SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

If I say "fuck security":
>SSL is required to perform this operation.
>>
File: Tdnin.gif (1MB, 170x127px) Image search: [Google]
Tdnin.gif
1MB, 170x127px
>>54294361
Ah, you probably need to be logged in or friends or some shit then. Sucks to be you I guess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfnlO_z97E&feature=youtu.be
>>
So I've been interested in OSR for a while now, having mostly played 5e and the 40k rpgs. My players have consistently across 3 different 5e campaigns managed to make the world a worse place to live, with unleashing monsters, taking bribes from evil sorcerers to let them live and selling dark artifacts to warlords.

Both my interest in OSR and this have culminated in the idea of running a much more grounded, darker tone of game set some time afterwards. Haven't got many details of what exactly the premise is, but I've been looking at many different systems and quite frankly have gotten lost. If anyone can help by pointing me at a few options it would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for:
-something more lethal and grounded, but still has magic and all that. Not looking for pure medieval times
-a big bestiary or an easy way to make monster stat blocks
-a way to judge the challange a monster may pose at a glance (like CR or something)

Is there anything like this or am I batking up the wrong tree?
>>
>>54294361
Works for me

I didn't know skerples was part of the G+ OSR secret club though
>>
>>54294418
>something more lethal and grounded, but still has magic and all that. Not looking for pure medieval times
If you run OSR for the sake of letrhality, then you're a cart-before-the-horse flavored cunt.
But yes, it can accommodate that.
>a big bestiary
Here's most of 2e: http://www.lomion.de/cmm/_contents.php
Other editions have other stuff too, though a fair chunk is redundant with that.
>or an easy way to make monster stat blocks
Also that's trivial.
>a way to judge the challange a monster may pose at a glance (like CR or something)
Best you can do is eyeball the HD and special abilities.
But, 4e notwithstanding, that should be more reliable than CR anyways.

Why exactly do you care about CR in a high-lethality game?
• http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/2050/roleplaying-games/revisiting-encounter-design
• http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/
>>
>>54294505
To be honest, I've never played any OSR and just started looking at them. I honestly don't know what I am doing
>>
>>54294418
Just use b/x or something derived from b/x honestly.
>-something more lethal and grounded, but still has magic and all that. Not looking for pure medieval times
This is pretty much any OSR
>-a big bestiary or an easy way to make monster stat blocks
As most OSR systems are compatible with D&D to some extent (and the most popular tend to be just b/x with some stuff on top), you all resources made for old editions of D&D and whatever is made for LotFP, ACKS, Labyrinth Lord etc.
>-a way to judge the challange a monster may pose at a glance (like CR or something)
This is the only issue though. Generally you have to eyeball it. Take in mind that the powerlevels of MONSTERS in OSR stuff is generally lower as well, since it's more sword and sorcery than larger-than-life epic fantasy. A level 10+ party in D&D is already capable of killing gods and similar stunts in official supplements
>>
File: tg is on topic again.jpg (198KB, 1260x703px) Image search: [Google]
tg is on topic again.jpg
198KB, 1260x703px
>>54294466
Not that secret. And it's only sensible. You guys are nice and all, but I get more views per week from G+ than I've /ever/ got from /tg/, since I started blogging. Far fewer useful comments though, so there's that.

>>54294519
Don't worry about it too much! Just read a ton of stuff. Soak in it.
>>
>>54294519
The general expectation here is that, morons aside, you'll kill about a tenth of the characters each session.
The ol' Roman decimation. Not for you to punish them or wank, just to remind them not to lapse into being morons.

And I posted those two bulleted links because I think you should read them.
The top one is actually for 3e, but it's worth your time. It's actually more worth your time than the bottom one.
Read the bottom one, too.
>>
>>54294418
I would recommend Adventurer Conqueror King system.

For bestiary you can use pretty much any OSR book, it's totally compatible or at least easy to convert (some use ascending AC while others use descending AC)

>a way to judge the challange a monster may pose at a glance (like CR or something)
This will be hard to find, but you can look at the number of hit dice the monster has to know his or her level
>>
File: mhrrrm.gif (878KB, 391x220px) Image search: [Google]
mhrrrm.gif
878KB, 391x220px
>>54294418
>-a way to judge the challange a monster may pose at a glance (like CR or something)

Part of what makes OSR so fascinating is that monsters really don't have a CR.

Fighting is a failure state. It means you have fucked up, and now must risk death. Fighters are your fire extinguishers; a decent bludgeon or hammer, but really, really, really good in emergencies.

So in my level 1 dungeon, for level 1 players, the monsters go
3 Skeletons
2 Crawling Claws
1 Black Pudding
1 Giant Fuck-Off Dark Souls Style Stone Ogre
1-4 Immortal Skeleton Jellies
1 Giant Basilisk
1 Lich
Infinite Fungus Goblins

And, despite the characters being Level 1, it seems to work out just fine, as long as they don't use fighting as their primary means of solving problems. If fighting is sure to result in victory... maybe double check that there's not something less risky that would also result in victory. Then fight.
>>
File: smug corrin.jpg (239KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
smug corrin.jpg
239KB, 600x620px
>>54294700
>Fighting is a failure state.
OD&D gives XP for killing monsters, independent of treasure.
>>
File: 1499718553060.jpg (317KB, 498x965px) Image search: [Google]
1499718553060.jpg
317KB, 498x965px
>>54294731
Well yeah! You learned from it. You deserve a reward for surviving. But the main goal is the loot. Loot is both power and XP.

Plus a lot of later systems ditched XP for monsters. Some weirder systems are even emerging: >>54286852
>>
File: Pop_filter.jpg (182KB, 1087x748px) Image search: [Google]
Pop_filter.jpg
182KB, 1087x748px
>>54294385
>you probably need to be logged in
That was it.

You're probably harvesting my data of something.
That dude needs a pop filter.
>>
File: Psionics.gif (2MB, 300x161px) Image search: [Google]
Psionics.gif
2MB, 300x161px
>>54294764
>You're probably harvesting my data of something.
Turns out, you're an american white male between the ages of 24 and 46. You own at least 10 books and you prefer mint fluoride rinses at the dentist.
>>
>>54294519
OSR games are retroclones of old D&D with some houserules throw on it. By "old D&D" I mean AD&D and Basic (B/X or BECMI), most anons here prefer Basic over Advanced D&D and there a lot more clones of it than there are for AD&D.

The games are by design very lethal, by the book you roll HP for first level (although a lot of people houserule max HP at 1st level) and Stats modifiers go only to +3 (and you roll your stats!), so a fighter often start with no more than 6 or 7 HP, and there are no death saving rules.

The general focus of OSR is dungeon crawling, and you get XP equal to the gold you retrieved during adventure. The way you got the money doesn't matter, so it's even possible to you level up without killing a single monster on the dungeon.
>>
>>54294793
>OSR games are retroclones of old D&D
Straight up old D&D is also OSR.

If you were to die, K&KA would become less angry.
>>
>>54286331
Glog is a touch strange, I'll say. Sperging about it is still sperging, though; not much sympathy for those aggrieved by a blogger's choice of system. I really like the magic-user balance that Arnold K. proposes, however. That doc is filled with cool ideas.
>>
>>54290727
Snazzy.
>>
File: TotSK V1 999.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
TotSK V1 999.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
Ok folks, here's Tomb of the Serpent Kings v1.9999, the Pre-Actual Production Values Update.

There are a few boxes that are misaligned, I know. Page # references are mostly missing. I also need to add in some thank you notes, licenses, and links and stuff at the end. Maybe illustrations too, if I can get them. But I'd like comments on:

-The introduction
-The overall structure
-The quick reference section at the end
-the monster statblocks

And any other comments on the general function and use of the document.

Notes on spelling and grammar errors are also useful, if you find them.
>>
>>54295792
Fffuck I was getting around to redrawing the map

I'll take a look
>>
File: TOTSK Map.jpg (757KB, 2735x1821px) Image search: [Google]
TOTSK Map.jpg
757KB, 2735x1821px
>>54295819
It's completely trivial to add in a new image. I rewrote the module to more closely match the Fancy Map provided by some anon.
>>
>>54295792
>>54295819
"This Module is For" could look neater as "Who This Module is For". The "Lessons: secret rooms contain more treasure" box looks weird. You could use bullet points for a lot of the numbered lists and put the room numbers in bold instead of between parentheses. That's all which leaps at me from skimming
>>
>>54294632
Hey, how do I join the secret G+ osr club?
>>
>>54295880
You need to pass 3 trials which will test your mind, body and soul. First among these, the Test of the Body, involves the making of a sex tape with Zak S. to prove your flexibility and physical endurance.

IF you survive this, whisper "Grognardia" 3 times in front of a mirror, within a candle-lit room, and you shall receive further instruction.
>>
File: 13.jpg (104KB, 975x704px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
104KB, 975x704px
>>54295880
Step 1: Start a blog
Step 2: tag some famous blogger in one of your posts, possibly as a review, a reaction, or a riff off their stuff
Step 3: continue to produce high quality content at a solid pace
Step 4: be relentlessly polite to everyone

Alternatively, blogger account names link directly to G+, so just make an account and follow a bunch of people, and comment from time to time. It's not rocket surgery.

>>54295871
>Who This Module is For
Make me want to rephrase it as "For Whom Is This Module?" which might be more grammatically correct but would make me look like a twat.

>and put the room numbers in bold instead of between parentheses.
Surprisingly, all my studies of technical writing say no. Bold doesn't help here. You need a clear, distinct, left-and-right separator for frequent cross-reference #s in text.

> You could use bullet points for a lot of the numbered lists
The numbers are to aid in randomization, should it ever come up

"I grab the first potion I see and run," being a common one.
>>
File: Zak's Dick.png (1MB, 1315x740px) Image search: [Google]
Zak's Dick.png
1MB, 1315x740px
>>54295925
>a sex tape with Zak S. to prove your flexibility and physical endurance.
>>
File: bit pedantic, but an easy fix.png (9KB, 472x200px) Image search: [Google]
bit pedantic, but an easy fix.png
9KB, 472x200px
>>54295792
Haven't read it closely yet, but it looks much improved. Pic related are all the style errors that jumped out at me.
I don't really like how the room mentions and monster mentions look so similar, but I suppose they're different enough?
If you do commission art from Scrap Princess, use the top right corner of 11 and the bottom left of 12.

>>54295880
Doxx Arnold Kemp, wait at one of his haunts, and slip $20 into his coffee.
>>
File: sam-hogg-lanyra-msx-17.jpg (690KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sam-hogg-lanyra-msx-17.jpg
690KB, 1200x1200px
>>54295940
Thanks! It doesn't take much to improve on V1.0 which was, as I said, assembled in <2hrs.
>room mentions and monster mentions look so similar
Sorry, I must be too tired to think. Can you give me an example?
>>
File: Untitled.png (62KB, 808x616px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
62KB, 808x616px
>>54295965
> but I suppose they're different enough?
You seem to keep the monsters lower case and the rooms upper.
>>
>>54295991
Ah, right, that's just for the 4 "zones" of Level 3. I can fix that.
>>
File: Untitled.png (29KB, 514x494px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
29KB, 514x494px
>>54295991
Actually, scratch that.

>>54295965
You're literally Fidel Castro.
>>
File: Spherical_astrolabe_2.jpg (195KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Spherical_astrolabe_2.jpg
195KB, 960x1280px
>>54296003
>You're literally Fidel Castro.
Ok, I am way too tired for this. :( There are several ways in which I am not like Fidel Castro.

In fact, there are very, very few ways in which we are similar. Hair color might be about it.
>>
File: alignment.png (12KB, 670x255px) Image search: [Google]
alignment.png
12KB, 670x255px
>>54296022
You both sold blood to the Vietcong.
>>
File: Ww9EJ.gif (472KB, 450x183px) Image search: [Google]
Ww9EJ.gif
472KB, 450x183px
>>54296039
nighty night, /osr/
>>
File: nice pivot.png (10KB, 426x364px) Image search: [Google]
nice pivot.png
10KB, 426x364px
>>54296061
G'night.
>>
>>54295925
I thought we do not speak that word any more, for he has been more shunned then any other for failing to deliver an eventually-completed kickstarter on time four years ago!!!
>>
>>54292845
>Zak S.
Okay, but the spell was written by Jim Raggi, though.
>>
>>54283886
Yup
>>
>>54293899
It leads to the passage north from a secret door marked above Room 41B on the Room Complex 53 map. The mapping here is a bit indistinct and the secret door is marked as though it emerges from Room 41B; however, it represents the secret door at 31. If you look at the separate map of 41B alone, you can confirm this as no secret door in the wall is marked there.
>>
>>54296618
Let's be honest: Jamal would never have delivered that thing at all. He was even butthurt by the ACKS guys adding detail to make the fucking dungeon playable, yet he couldn't provide the much more bare-bones version on time? I mean, come the fuck on. He didn't even finish his *play reports* of the fucker. If anybody in the OSR deserves to be shit on it's Jamal.

And that's without even mentioning his long-term habit of whoring for free OOP modules from readers, which t bh I always thought was his worst trait.
>>
>>54296973
Same person.
>>
File: David.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
David.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>54299300
>>
>>54293899
>>54297381
Speaking of Thracia, what size is each square on the map? The scale is given in inches.
>>
>>54299639
Inches.
>>
>>54300057
You're supposed to shrink the party before you send them in
>>
File: 008.png (534KB, 650x833px) Image search: [Google]
008.png
534KB, 650x833px
>>54299639
Each square is as far across as Barovia.
>>
File: fig9-5.gif (35KB, 450x662px) Image search: [Google]
fig9-5.gif
35KB, 450x662px
>>54277869
>>
Is it possible tu run a campaign without dungeons?
>>
>>54299639
10'.
>>
File: Paper_Sorcerer_(PC)_02.jpg (196KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Paper_Sorcerer_(PC)_02.jpg
196KB, 1280x720px
>>54276638
So I was reading Last Gasp Grimoire
>When did deciphering a madman’s work become such a throwaway bit of bag of tricks nonsense?
>If I was a wizard my spellbook would be overflowing with false passages and curses and traps like some kind of nightmare word labyrinth of doom,
and was reminded of Paper Sorcerer.

Captured spellbooks as dungeons? Yes/No
>>
>>54300949
You'll need /something/ to lean on, but sure.
>>
>>54300949
Yes, you can use towers or castles instead.
>>
Is OSR more of a classification of game system or a description of a playstyle? Does crawling around a legitimately dangerous dark environment with strict time records, limited resources and wandering monsters suffice to call something 'old school' regardless of system or does it have to be within the mechanical realm of 70s/80s D&D
>>
File: 1460362280994.jpg (146KB, 1024x1140px) Image search: [Google]
1460362280994.jpg
146KB, 1024x1140px
>>54301138
>Is OSR more of a classification of game system or a description of a playstyle?
>>
>>54301138
>>54301164
2e isn't OSR
>>
>>54301138
>Does crawling around a legitimately dangerous dark environment with strict time records, limited resources and wandering monsters suffice to call something 'old school' regardless of system
Yes BUT that doesn't make it OSR, which is subtly different, and implies Old D&D compatibility.
>>
File: yugoarca.gif (68KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
yugoarca.gif
68KB, 300x360px
>>54301138
Old-school mechanics at this point are anything pre-1990. Traveler, AD&D, Tunnels & Trolls, etc.

There is no One True old-school playstyle; survival dungeoneering was just as common or less so than god-slaying hack'n'slash fests.

OSR is code for "TSR D&D and rip-offs thereof". I'd say most of the OSR "enthusiasts" are people who hated 4e but recognized 3.X was shit; unwilling to learn another system they turned backwards to older D&D. You'll see a whole bunch of people give (You)s saying "n-no, we play 20 other systems!" and "n-no, we're not contrarians!" which may be true for them as individuals but not for the "movement" as a whole.
>>
>>54301850
Thanks, that helps. I'm interested in the survival dungeoneering/wilderness exploration playstyle but it's tough to see through the crusty old contrarians sometimes and I prefer d100 to d20
>>
File: burnt off dead wood.jpg (36KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
burnt off dead wood.jpg
36KB, 720x540px
>>54301850
Hurts just a little bit.
>>
>>54301932
>I prefer d100
Sounds you might want RuneQuest then. Alternatively, every 1 point on a d20 = 5% so if you're just switching out dice it's fairly easy to "convert"
>>
>>54292686
Swan Song was a fairly well known SWN campaign that was run on Youtube.
>>
File: fresh_new_OC.png (210KB, 1397x684px) Image search: [Google]
fresh_new_OC.png
210KB, 1397x684px
rate my OSR cover art please
>>
File: Castlevania-Good.png (50KB, 1000x938px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania-Good.png
50KB, 1000x938px
>>54302791
Red Lizard Needs Food Badly
>>
>>54302791
I feel terrible for the dragon's claw/hand deformity otherwise 10/10
>>
File: map dragons blog.png (16KB, 606x363px) Image search: [Google]
map dragons blog.png
16KB, 606x363px
>>54302791

Better then my art, I can tell you that right now.

Honestly that knight getting vaporized by the dragon is really fucking cool.

If the title is meant to be verbose, why is treasure just called treasure? Shouldn't it be called 'pressed gold non-fiat currency' or 'rare and expensive objects that grant seeker great wealth'?
>>
>>54302968
Pressed Gold Vouched By The King
>>
Do you guys have any opinions on running 1e combat in the theater of the mind style? It'd increase game flow substantially and wouldn't require me to have environment assets, but so much of 1e combat is grid derived...
>>
>>54298473
>invented the movement
>saltyfags with daddy issues shit on him years later because of this
>somehow still considered a worse person than ACTUAL CON ARTISTS like Skarka and Whitman
I, too, enjoy rewriting history!
>>
File: warlord_by_mrg00-d6ae3ca.jpg (173KB, 774x1031px) Image search: [Google]
warlord_by_mrg00-d6ae3ca.jpg
173KB, 774x1031px
so...ah...
I may have given my players a quarter of a million gold in my 3.5 game im running this weekend...
Im wondering if there's a fair way to make the money dissipate to a slightly more fair number...
I dont want to just TAKE the money away even if they are still generating their characters, but I dont want two minor nobles fucking around the world with tons of cash after the apocalypse has happened...

help!
>>
>>54303201
What is this
Can someone fill in an out-of-the-loop newcomer?
>>
>>54303261
Talk to your players like adults and admit you made a mistake. Don't try to solve your fuckup by fucking with them in-game...
>>
>>54303261
Currency crisis. The PC's devalue the economy every time they spend a large sum and eventually hyperinflation kicks in
>>
>>54303184
I strongly advise getting away from a grid, but I wouldn't go as far as theatre of mind.
>>
>>54303280
welp that worked... >>54303368 Ill have to keep that in mind if i miscalculate again! sounds actually fitting as a running gag.
>>
>>54301054
>>54301065
Then making a harder question, is it possible to make an story based campaign? like making the characters the heroes of the kingdom and wanting them to go and defeat x and y, the thing is that i think it could make level progress slower
>>
>>54301850
>Old-school mechanics at this point are anything pre-1990.
You're an idiot.

>>54301932, that guy's an idiot and you'll be much less confused in future if you don't listen to his nonsense.
>>
>>54303406
It's possible, but 2e probably fits better for that.
>>
>>54303491
You make a convincing argument
>>
>>54303201
>invented the movement
moshimoshibeitodesu.jpg
>saltyfags with daddy issues
"No"
>somehow still considered a worse person than ACTUAL CON ARTISTS like Skarka and Whitman
Who ever said that? Skarka's definitely a con artist but I've never heard of him making an OSR produ-- sorry, *pretending to make* an OSR product to scam people out of their cash.
>I, too, enjoy rewriting history!
>rewriting
I guess in the Berenstein universe Dwimmermount came out on time and with no writing assistance?
>>
>>54303262
The war of blogs and memes.
>>
>>54303539
Why?
>>
>>54303921
Because 2e moved toward that style of play.
>>
>>54304142
well i will look for a retroclone of 2e and see for myself, thanks!
>>
is wilderlands of high fantasy in the trove?
>>
>>54304191
Yes, in Supplements.

>>54304155
>2e retroclone
>>
>>54303262
>James Maliszewski of grognardia
>One of the first "OSR philosphers"
>Has some interesting stuff but comes across as way too pretentious/self-important.
>Wrote a mega-dungeon (Dwimmermount), ran a kickstarter for it, delivered several years late.
>Got so triggered by people calling him out on his failure that he stopped blogging.

>>54304155
>>54304274
>For Gold & Glory
>>
>>54304366
What does it do better than 2nd edition?
>>
>>54302968
blue dragon looks good.
>>
File: blog wolf rogue cave.png (29KB, 280x129px) Image search: [Google]
blog wolf rogue cave.png
29KB, 280x129px
>>54304979
I like the red one almost of much.
Green one is lukewarm diarrhea tho.
>>
>>54304391
ascending armor class?
>>
>>54290008
>But feudalism is... messy. It doesn't work on a money-based economy, it works on a reputation-based economy.

Speaking of which, are there any good systems out there for mechanizing relationships as a currency? Maybe something based on the reaction table?
>>
>>54276720
Whats wrong with the Discord?
>>
File: limon.jpg (49KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
limon.jpg
49KB, 480x360px
>>54305109
How is adding a speed bump to consulting lomion an improvement?
>>
File: 1498253503471.jpg (164KB, 625x838px) Image search: [Google]
1498253503471.jpg
164KB, 625x838px
>>54305486
>>
File: 07a.jpg (59KB, 600x1122px) Image search: [Google]
07a.jpg
59KB, 600x1122px
>>54305486
Also
>>
>>54305527
its faster
>>
>>54305486
It creates a clique of autists who drift in to off-topic conversations and/or personal drama which inevitably gets dragged into the thread itself. cf. /pfg/ and /hsg/
>>
File: my dude.jpg (73KB, 924x1158px) Image search: [Google]
my dude.jpg
73KB, 924x1158px
>>54305659
citation
>>
Is osr balanced?
>>
>>54305774
Not in a modern sense.
>>
>>54305724
Most of the drama in these threads has been centred more around people's personal blogs though, not the Discord at all.
>>
>>54305774
In older editions, "play balance" is conceptualized more as thinking about the overall structure and incentives of your campaign, and whether or not the background material that you've setup actually contribute towards the type of game you want to play.
>>
>>54279980
great comment
love the post
>>
File: 00000325.png (54KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
00000325.png
54KB, 650x500px
>>54305442
>Speaking of which, are there any good systems out there for mechanizing relationships as a currency? Maybe something based on the reaction table?
Pendragon has some stuff like that, I think?

>>54295792
Ok, any more comments on TotSK v1.999 before I start working on the Actual Production Values edition?
>>
Is there something like osr with d100?
>>
>>54297045
Does anyone have an issues to share?
>>
>>54306958
Strictly speaking a d20 breaks down into d100 pretty easily. It's all linear probability after all.
>>
>>54305774
You're expected to have level 1 and level 10 Fighters in the same party.
That works way better than I assume you would expect, but you wouldn't be *too* far off.
>>
File: dungeon-meshi-6119761.jpg (162KB, 728x1036px) Image search: [Google]
dungeon-meshi-6119761.jpg
162KB, 728x1036px
The Monster Menu-All is finally done.

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/07/monster-menu-all-part-1-eating-ad.html

It pairs nicely with Occultesque's food rules >>54277869, wine or cucumber salad.
>>
>>54306278
The Discord doesn't discuss the thread, the thread (excepting now) doesn't discuss the Discord, and the discussions in the thread and Discord don't overlap.
The link in the OP is the /only/ association between us.
>>
>>54306845
Have you contacted Scrap yet.

I get that this seems like a joke.
It is not.
>>
File: 1497151589851.jpg (57KB, 736x1117px) Image search: [Google]
1497151589851.jpg
57KB, 736x1117px
>>54307746
>Have you contacted Scrap yet.
I am currently writing a proposal in the form of a silly poem.
>>
>>54307763
You don't need to start a harem, you just need their lifeblood.
>>
File: never change tg (2).png (60KB, 627x165px) Image search: [Google]
never change tg (2).png
60KB, 627x165px
>>54307787
>why not both?
>>
File: IMG_0043.jpg (201KB, 1000x989px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0043.jpg
201KB, 1000x989px
>>54307694
>You Can't Eat That!
>>Thought eater,
Could you add an entry for Thought Eater broths &// gelatins?

If they run out of PSPs (death by the sword, or by starvation) they fall into the Material Plane.
In the case of starvation, the fall is actually what kills them.
>>
File: 1977.jpg (134KB, 890x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1977.jpg
134KB, 890x1080px
>>54308336
>Could you add an entry for Thought Eater broths &// gelatins.
If I had it my way, I would, but in 1977, they were completely ethereal. No falling into the material plane. :(

If I ever do a 5E Monster Manual or something, then sure, definitely!
>>
>>54308404
>>54308366
Its that a duck?
>>
File: redtail the duck.png (49KB, 261x239px) Image search: [Google]
redtail the duck.png
49KB, 261x239px
>>54308420
No, this is a duck.

That is a PSI-duck.
>>
>>54289326
I am sending high warmth at you also, friend.
>>
File: IMG_0044.gif (59KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0044.gif
59KB, 300x360px
>>54308404
But 2e is OSR!

From "The Complete Psionics Handbook" (1991):
>A thought eater has only one desire – to avoid death. For some reason, they die almost instantly on the Prime material plane. Fortunately for them, they have several psionic powers which help to prevent this.
>Their bodies process PSPs the way humanoids process food, at a rate of 3 PSPs/hour. If they run out of points, they drop out of the ether into the Prime material plane and meet an instant death.
>Ecology: Thought eaters carry no treasure. When one dies, it automatically drops out of the ether and materializes on the Prime material plane. Of course, they are usually dismissed as platypi that died from starvation.
>>
>>54308517
I'd rather eat an ustaligor tee bee ech
>>
File: 1431725207838.jpg (196KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1431725207838.jpg
196KB, 1024x1365px
>>54308517
>But 2e is OSR!

Absolutely! And if I was doing a Monster Menu-All Part 8: Eating the Complete Psionics Handbook,

We'd totally have rules that go like:

Thought Eater
Flavour: thin, greasy, like wax paper
Notes: though eaters are too tough to chew. They are normally boiled to produce the Soup of Thought or distilled to make the Liquor of Morality

Soup of Thought
1-2: Madness. Gain 1d6 mental afflictions and at least 3 additional personalities. Lasts 1d6 hours. Save. If you fail, permanent.
3-4: Mindfulness. Cure any mental afflictions, including madness, unless the madness was caused by the Soup of Thought
5-7: Delicious! Heal 1 HP, or 1 additional HP.
8. Ear of Thought. You can hear all thoughts within 10', as per the ESP spell. Lasts 1d10 hours.
9. Whisperlicker. As Ear of Thought, except permanent. You must learn 1 new secret (known to only 1 other person, or sufficiently dangerous) per day or take 1d6 damage at sunrise.
10. Brain Escape. Your brain pops out and flies to the ethereal plane. It returns in 1d6 days. Your body will rot in 2 days if not kept cool and dry. You permanently gain +4 Intelligence, but your personality changes in unusual ways.

Liquor of Morality:
See: http://melancholiesandmirth.blogspot.ca/2017/07/traveling-outlanders-post-38-hallamite.html

But alas, it's not to be. Guess I'll never write one.
>>
>>54308642
>or take 1d6 damage at sunrise.

Is it the timing, or the extra-fresh light that does it?
Are there people "trapped" in dungeons, desperately trying to steal enough secrets to return to the surface without dying?
>>
>>54306958
Mythras: Classic Fantasy is the best classic D&D -> d100 BRP family conversion I've seen
>>
File: 1270436216666.jpg (54KB, 359x600px) Image search: [Google]
1270436216666.jpg
54KB, 359x600px
>>54309236
It's the /knowledge/ of the passage of time. Get deep enough or go mad enough and you might never take damage. Alternatively, become a very motivated spymaster. Some kingdoms feed the Soup of Thought to their minions deliberately, carefully tuning the results with spices, clubs, and brain-wires.
>>
>>54307694
Radical.
>>
File: 1287621432500.jpg (239KB, 900x1128px) Image search: [Google]
1287621432500.jpg
239KB, 900x1128px
>>54307746
Contacting done. Let's see how this goes.

>>54309396
Glad you like it. Next up, Veins of the Earth. Or possibly Fire on the Velvet Horizon. Which one first... vote now! http://www.strawpoll.me/13430273
>>
>>54310474
Given Veins of the Earth's focus on resource scarcity and cannibalism, I think that would benefit the most from such a supplement.
>>
>>54310474
I VOTE FOR VOTE
>>
>>54310672
>>54310746
That's what I'm thinking too, but 2 anons have said they'd post better ideas in the thread and haven't (the bastards). Makes me regret adding a 3rd option.
>>
>>54310474
>A different thing I will post and describe
I vote for the Classic of Mountains and Seas.

It's a collection of 550 mountains, 300 rivers, 100 countries, and 277 monsters.
It was compiled by various occult practioners from like 400BC to 200AD, so the whole thing has been embellished to hell and back.

>>54310672
>better undercut the thematic scarcity!

Also the new thread is up: >>54310786
As usual, this thread is guaranteed to die first.
So stick around until it does.
>>
File: iL9Rt03.jpg (432KB, 2560x1089px) Image search: [Google]
iL9Rt03.jpg
432KB, 2560x1089px
>>54310951
>better undercut the thematic scarcity!
Eyeballing it, the percentage of creatures you /can/ eat in VOTE is about 1/2
The percentage of creatures you can eat /safely/ is 1/4 at best. Probably lower. We'll find out, I guess.

>It's a collection of 550 mountains, 300 rivers, 100 countries, and 277 monsters.
Hrm. Seems a little ambitious. I'm also not sure I want to describe the flavour of all 550 mountains.
I'll compromise though and order a copy for my own library.
>>
>>54310998
A fair number of the "monsters" are redundant with the Monster Manual or else straight up animals.
It's still be quite a few to so, but not loads of loads.
>>
>quite a few to so
*quite a few to do
>>
¿ >>54307787 ?
¿ >>54296039 ?
>>
File: 1292166838790.jpg (189KB, 936x648px) Image search: [Google]
1292166838790.jpg
189KB, 936x648px
>>54311023
It took me a month of on-and-off work just to do the Monster Manual. 277 seems like a lot. Might change my mind after reading it though.
>>
File: terophidian.jpg (16KB, 280x133px) Image search: [Google]
terophidian.jpg
16KB, 280x133px
>>54308642
If you're still doing one-offs, any chance of a Terophidian?
>>
File: goblin_punch_monster_sheet.pdf (35KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
goblin_punch_monster_sheet.pdf
35KB, 1x1px
>>54310928
>>54312272
Or maybe just everything here you haven't already covered?
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 115

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.