[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rotating GMs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1493707736502.jpg (47KB, 537x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493707736502.jpg
47KB, 537x720px
I'm starting up a new playgroup, and the subject of rotating GMs came up. Do those work very well? Anyone have any experience with it? I'm just worried that the plot might get a little schizophrenic with several GMs.
>>
>>54272305
Never worked for me.

I start a game, I suggest rotating GMs, no one ever steps up and I end up running it forever.

One time someone else started a game, rotating GMs were suggested, I took over after the original GM stepped down and I'm still running it.
>>
You mean rotating players taking turns becoming GMs? What about the plot, everyone would know it before the end of the adventure?
>>
>>54272305
The idea of one of my shit munching players taking over the huge amount of work I do as a DM would be ludicrous.

However for a 'dungeon of the week' style campaign it would be fun in theory. I tried it once but I was the only one who could do it consistently every week. Everyone else somehow burned out trying to design one dungeon one shot a month like that's actually hard.
>>
>>54272394
Well, yeah, that's one of the things that I'm not a huge fan of.

Like >>54272372 said, there isn't really a clear "And now we switch" moment im a regular campaign, since adventures tend to run into each other. It might work with a more episodic "Villian of the week" structure I suppose...
>>
Dear anon, I am currently playing in such a campaign and having good fun.
It helps GMs avoid burnout and also lets us experience many styles of storytelling, each of us having his or her weak and strong sides. We were also able to keep our plot pretty consistent, using one simple trick called talking. And keeping notes.
What you should remember about is to GMs some experience based on their performance, to let their characters keep up with the party that played. We have that easily covered, dungeon world exps are counted in single digits.
>>
>>54272461
Our rotations are simple: the person that has come up with something declares it. We don't have a schedule who should run when.
Also, bear in mind we have played a lot of sessions already before the start of the campaign and know each other well outside the game.
>>
>>54272305
It really depends on the people you're playing with.

>>54272394
>What about the plot, everyone would know it before the end of the adventure?
The way we've done it is to leave things open. You know how when you're watching a suspenseful tv show with an unfolding plot, you may have some idea where things are going, but you don't know for sure? Like that. The first guy gets things running, and there are indications of what might be happening, but it's up to later GMs to interpret that.

>>54272372
Go for a limited-run adventure rather than an indefinite campaign (think miniseries instead of a regular tv series). We aimed to each run a session before switching off, but that didn't always happen due to time constraints and shit running over. But aiming for one session meant two sessions at the longest, and there was always the expectation of a change-over unless things ran long.
>>
My group and I are just starting to experiment with this, but to avoid the issue of the story getting muddled, each DM is doing a game in the same world, but set in a different country.

Seems to be working out so far.
>>
>>54272305
Run self-contained story arcs. Make it commonly agreed that no one is entitled to any bigger picture, long game story arcs of their own. Every arc begins and ends within the individual GM's tenure at the time that they run the campaign.
>>
File: 1479305234735.jpg (338KB, 900x756px) Image search: [Google]
1479305234735.jpg
338KB, 900x756px
>>54272305
For a long time our group had a problem of starting games and never finishing them. We came up with a solution where there was a central hub in a single area where many characters could exist Yes it was an adventurer's guild. Fite me.. The idea was this let players try out a bunch of different characters without being stuck with one for a really long time, and also let DMs switch out without affecting stories. It was a really loosely defined world that let any willing DM do whatever they wanted. It worked out really really well.

We mostly ran one or two session campaigns that only vaguely related to the guild. PCs were mostly murderhobos with intricate personal hangups, but a few times they really meshed with the current story and carried them over to other one shots.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.