[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What breed of dog would dwarves keep as companions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

File: the_doggit.jpg (154KB, 500x724px) Image search: [Google]
the_doggit.jpg
154KB, 500x724px
What breed of dog would dwarves keep as companions?
>>
>>54256858
One bred to deal with the creatures that live in tunnels and other sorts of burrowing creatures.

So probably some really big kind of terrier.
>>
>>54256858
Pugs, because I like my pug.
>>
>>54256858
Okay but anywhere I could download that whole thing?
>>
>>54256858
Long, weasel-like dachshunds to rescue those lost in cave-ins and weed pests out of the tunnels and crawlspaces.
>>
>>54256886
Dwarves with pit bull terriers chasing off giant tunnel badgers? Sounds great
>>
>>54256858
Big ass doggos to ride in combat
>>
>>54256858
Several breeds.
Stocky guard dogs
Stocky Dachshounds for pest control
Stocky Chiuahuas for warmth during cold nights deep in mines
Not dogs, but stocky canary birds to tell when the air is toxic and it's time to move out
>>
>>54257087
This was my first thought.
>>
File: 1471473269999.jpg (49KB, 622x352px) Image search: [Google]
1471473269999.jpg
49KB, 622x352px
This bad boy right here
>>
>>54257207
>has it's own little beard
perfect.
>>
>>54256858
the ones with beer under the collar
>>
>>54257219
>>54257207
>>54257008

Bearded Dachshunds
>>
>>54257207
>>54257219
Based.
>>
>>54257207
I'd love to see these with dwarven-style beards. You know, far too long, tons of beads and braids
>>
>>54256858
Halflings
>>
>>54257120
all of them with beards ?
>>
Pekingese. Small, aggressive, give no fucks.
>>
Small to medium seized terriers, maybe schnauzers too.
>>
Seems a good a place as any to ask, has anyone played pugmire?
>>
File: Dwarf Cats.jpg (35KB, 388x600px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf Cats.jpg
35KB, 388x600px
>>54256858
2cat
>>
File: Doggodile.jpg (163KB, 781x730px) Image search: [Google]
Doggodile.jpg
163KB, 781x730px
>>
>>54256858
Something with short legs and a thick, muscular body. Probably a long coat for extra protection from both enemies and elements (it can get fairly cold underground, unless you are close to volcanic activity), this also allows it produce useful amounts of fur, like a sheep. A stronger focus on a sense of smell and hearing than strong sight (so perky ears and a long snout), as smells linger underground due to a lack of rain or much wind, while it is often dark.
>>
File: Oh YEs.jpg (16KB, 465x251px) Image search: [Google]
Oh YEs.jpg
16KB, 465x251px
Him
>>
File: roleymoley.jpg (79KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
roleymoley.jpg
79KB, 800x530px
>not using pet moles in your subterranean setting
>>
>>54261010
lmao
>>
File: .jpg (245KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
245KB, 500x500px
Staffordshire bull terriers are the only correct answer as far as existing dog breeds go.
>Loyal
>Hardy
>Compact
>Strong
>Great guard dogs
>Excellent at pest removal
>Top tier fighters
>Smiley as fuck

You don't even need to reinvent it as a distinct breed for your game. Just give it a padded stab vest for warmth and protection and a pair of night vision goggles for tunnel work.

Also
>>54257067
Pitbull a shit. Get your ghetto ass dog breed out of this thread.
>>
St. Bernard for rescue operations. Also I can pocture dwarves riding them into battle and it's the greatest thing ever.
>>
>>54256858
Elves.
Elves are dog breed, right?
>>
>>54264962
Mr worldwide says otherwise
>>
>>54265311
Who?
>>
>>54265349
Mr. 305
>>
Dwarves actually make extensive use of animals, as is frequently common in pre industrial societies.

Canaries for the coal miners, of course, and all the other digging as well. Due to the frequent association with mountains there are an array of mid to larger sizes pack animals such as goats, donkeys, and sometimes even yaks that are used primarily to transport goods and people and sometimes to push and pull. Horses and cows are a poor fit; they require far too much food and space and can never be used in the tunnels so they're more trouble than it's worth--the extreme feeding requirements aren't sustainable in dwarf settlements, although rural dwarves living away from the holds will sometimes have ranches if the space permits. Pigs are reared extensively, for food and for war and for truffle hunting (dwarves and pigs alike have a keen fondness, matched only by elves and incidentally this has twice been responsible for major diplomatic achievements). Pigs are rarely used as dedicated pack animals, though, because their high intelligence can make them difficult to handle.

Occasionally an ambitious group will get together and try to capture something rhino sized, but this is largely considered a fancy. The knowledge of gears is well understood, and it's easier to link a hundred goats than catch, Cafe, train, and keep alive a rhino.

Scouts and hunters make frequent use of dogs and moles and badgers in a combination usually dictated by the area they survey. Cats are ever present; their populations maintained due to their ratting skills. Chickens and pidgeons are both reared for food (pidgeons for communication as well) and wild turkeys are often managed.

All settlements need water; most have a stream or lake. Underground streams are usually exposed for their aesthetic as well as practical value, and the bounty of the water varies by locale but almost universally includes crabs, crawfish, eels, and small fish.
>>
>>54265685
As you can imagine, waste management is critical to dwarves. Their myths are filled with warnings of uncleanliness; we know from our own learning that epidemics are disastrously likely to spread and devastate communities when many animals of poor health are kept in close proximity to people.

So pigs, fungi, crabs, shrimp, fire, chickens,and worms are all used in a rather complicated scheme to minimize waste. It often goes unnoticed, but a great amount of space and effort is used cleaning up manufacturing waste as well--usually through a combination of fungal treatments and filtration.
>>
>>54265683
What? The fuck are you on about?
>>
>>54265685
>>54265735
This seems pre-thought out. Have you written this before?
>>
>>54257207
Ahhh, scottish terrier. Truly the breed of the finest dwarven gentlemen.

Also, it was my dog for 14 years. Dumb as a rock, but with a stubborn and noble character. Miss her to this day.
>>
>>54265768
Nope, I'm just on a roll.

Also I've started balancing my history reading with some anthropology, and an important part of that is that prior to the modern world, animals and slaves were used the way we use machines now
>>
>>54265765
You know, lil chico
>>
>>54265840
What the fuck are you on
>>
File: image.png (291KB, 368x546px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
291KB, 368x546px
>>54256858
They would have wolpertinger
>>
>>54265861
Agreed.

>>54265840
What the fuck are you on?
>>
>>54256858
Those chinese ones designed for being eaten, probably.
>>
>>54265861
>>54265959

You know, Mr. Dade County
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.