[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 399
Thread images: 29

File: epic_battle_by_tsn551-d7wxhh5.jpg (613KB, 1280x1921px) Image search: [Google]
epic_battle_by_tsn551-d7wxhh5.jpg
613KB, 1280x1921px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54251739
>>
First for Kobold Dragon-Hunting Party.
>>
secondth for bears
>>
>>54256406
>http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf
wow it's fucking nothing
>>
>>54256406
>Le page 6 new thread memes
>>
Can pure Mystics focused on their MIND POWERS do fun stuff? Do they have any versatility?

I really like the idea, but I've never played one or seen one in action.
>>
>>54256406
So, why the hell didn't they release the other part of Mearls' rules, the system without bonus actions he apparently plays, so half the classes doesn't get fucked by this initiative?
>>
>>54256456
Mystics are Versatility: The Class.
You can do everything and don't need any other party members. Enjoy the ride.
>>
How do you build a decent Paladin of Vengeance?

I'm new to DnD 5e. I'm thinking Aasimir (Fallen) or a variant human.
>>
>>54256509
If you're not using two-handed weapon, you're doing it wrong. And since you're using a two-handed weapon anyway, why not a glaive.
>>
Reading through sword college and not sure what this means RAW
>As a standard action, you can make a standard melee attack and increase your walking speed by 10 feet until the end of the current turn

So you can use your action to attack and move 10 feet? Why would you ever do this? You'd have to use the defensive flourish every time to avoid an OA. Assuming you don't move after attacking, what's the point of giving 10 ft more movement?

Am I just reading this wrong?
>>
>>54256509

Variant Human, Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master, Sentinel.

Ruin everything.
>>
>>54256524
>Implying shield aren't worth it
>>
>>54256540
You can use shield and a quarterstaff, that's solid too.
>>
>>54256540
>Implying they are
>>
>>54256536
>Am I just reading this wrong?
No, you are reading it right.And I have no ide since if you move out of their range it means that they get an attack of opportunity so you don't wanna do that. It's shit by the looks of it.
>>
First time I've heard of this type of initiative system and I think its neato.
>>
Why is Forgotten Realms such a shit setting with every single other official campaign setting save for Dragonlance superior to it in every way?
>>
>>54256582
I just came back from a long vacation, what initiative system now?
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/13404229

Vote for WotC's biggest mistake (UA). I want to know how mad everyone is at today's.
>>
>>54256536
>>54256580
It's literally +10 speed. You don't have to move and other then that's a normal attack. There's literally no reason not to be using it.

I swear the Swords Bard has more idiots who can't understand it then any other class.
>>
I did a one-shot as a Way of Tranquility Monk last night, the healing hands was great and I love the whole "arbiter of peace" schtick.

Is Way of Tranquility actually decent or have I misled myself?
>>
>>54256444

Why so upset?
>>
>>54256617
No it's good. I like to think of it as "Monk: +10 HP per level edition" though.
>>
File: toucan3.jpg (18KB, 470x370px) Image search: [Google]
toucan3.jpg
18KB, 470x370px
>>54256599
>the first Ranger rework

Wait, is there another, earlier, shitter UA than Ranger Revised?
>>
>>54256620
Because the general used to go to page 8
>>
>>54256590

The new UA, Mearls "Greyhawk Initiative". Instead of rolling for a set initiative at start of combat, each round has a variable initiative order determined by type of actions that are done. Attacking is a d6, casting a spell a d10, etc.
>>
File: whiplash.png (331KB, 500x548px) Image search: [Google]
whiplash.png
331KB, 500x548px
>>54256450
New thread, old bump I guess.

Also... maybe something like this?
>>
>>54256648
yeah it was a weird quasi-shaman that summons spirits instead of taming animals
>>
>>54256406
Does it weird anyone else out that Wizards don't learn the spell Elemental Weapon?
>>
How do you guys do initiative? I think we can all agree that 5e initiative is garbage, but nobody has ever done a system that really WORKS.
>>
>>54256651
I just read it, and well... There's shit and then there is this shit.
>>
>>54256599

No option for the Artificer?
>>
>>54256649

You seem to be the only one complaining.
>>
>>54256648

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/ranger
>>
>>54256686
No it's fucking retarded to do that, senpai.
>>
>>54256699

To complain? I agree.
>>
>>54256509
The standard max fighty:
Polearm Master, Great Weapon Master, max STR, rest goes in CHA. Defensive Fighting Style. Uses a Glaive.

Sword and Board alternative:
Polearm Master, max STR, rest goes in CHA. Dueling Fighting Style. Uses a shield and quarterstaff (which benefits from Polearm Master for a Bonus Action attack).

Multiclass alternative:
Similar to above, but after level 6 you take 3 levels of Warlock (Pact of the Tome, with a Patron that fits). This gives you a solid CHA-based ranged option with Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast, a pair of short rest spell slots for smites, a handful of useful cantrips (Guidance, something else), and most importantly Shillelagh, which ups the damage die of your quarterstaff to d8 and lets you use CHA to attack. The rest of your levels go into Paladin until Paladin 12.

So PAM, then max CHA.

Either way, variant human and half elf work really well with Paladins, and you want to start with 16 on your combat stat, typically STR > CHA > CON.
>>
>>54256697

Ahahaha what the fuck this is so weird and bad
>>
>>54256697
>2d6 Hitdice per level
>only light armour
>DEX and WIS Saves

what the fuck
>>
>>54256710
No, to post early. You kick off other threads dumbass.
>>
Anyone using the Journey rules from the Adventures in Middle Earth rules in your other 5E games? How did it go?
>>
What's a good feat for a tomelock? I was thinking about going with Polearm Master for when I pick up shillelagh and greenflame blade
>>
File: 1489311837645.png (52KB, 187x252px) Image search: [Google]
1489311837645.png
52KB, 187x252px
>>54256682

>Artificer is so shit people recommend taking both archetypes AND IT'S STILL NOT THAT GOOD
>Not on the list

>>54256657

Shit dude I fucking love cursed items. You could do more interesting than "Doesn't want to part with it" though, I mean it's fucking cursed it doesn't matter if they want to or not, they can't.

Maybe go with the 'using their blood to make it stronger' element and start having it take blood without their permission/consent.
>>
>>54256657
>Expend one hit die
>Attack a guy literally 5 feet away
>Miss
>Thanks for nothing, Strahd!
I fail to see how it would be worth it to expend one hit die to get +5 reach and +1 to attack/damage rolls for one turn, specially for a class that doesn't have access to extra attack.
>>
File: 1427839639693.png (81KB, 237x255px) Image search: [Google]
1427839639693.png
81KB, 237x255px
Anyone have Path of the Enraged Magician?
>>
>>54256776

>threads on the last page with 3 replies getting kicked off

Wow, such a loss.
>>
>>54256776
Original complainer here, doing god's work anon
>>
>>54256803
You can't use the PAM bonus attack if you used Green-Flame Blade. It needs to be an Attack action.

Without Extra Attack and bonus CHA to damage from Lifedrinker, Eldritch Blast is superior. Don't try to gish with a single-classed tomelock.
>>
>>54256682
Artificer is bad and kind of boring but it's the base for a new int class instead of a whole lot of nothing.
>>
>>54256812

>Artificer is so shit people recommend taking both archetypes AND IT'S STILL NOT THAT GOOD

It's just so schizophrenic. It has a big feature about putting spells in items to give to allies but it's list of spells is tiny and it's not even a HALF caster so it can barely use the feature.
>>
>Level 6 Zeal Cleric
>Can launch people back 10ft. with Booming Blade
>Can launch everyone near them back 10ft. with Thunderclap

So Magic Initiate is basically their number one choice of feat right?
>>
>>54256456
I played one focused on teleportation, control and buffs and it worked quite well, the mantle of command or whatever that lets everyone in the party make an attack action for one of your actions and 7 pp is insane. Not sure exactly what you mean with "mind powers" but I'm guessing none of the pseudo-martial stuff.
>>
>>54256848
They never even attempted to make it conform to any kind of damage math calculation. It's genuinely just complete lack of sense. Especially the alchemist.
Calling it a joke would give it too much credit.
>>
>>54256589
it was written by a child.
>>
>>54256914

I mean not going Soul Knife and playing a martial but DUDE LIGHTSABERS or just taking all of the yeah, as you said, pseudo-martial stuff.

Basically just being a wizard but with MIND POWERS instead of spells.
>>
has anyone tried matthew mercers order of the lycan for the blood hunter class?

are you supposed to like, always be transformed during combat? is dipping one or two levels into monk a good idea? does it -work-, as in, does the whole "berkserking" dc thing, two charges per rest and what seems to be overall below average damage make for a playable class at all? i don't care if it's underpowered, but i don't want to be completely useless.
>>
>>54256812
I copied the berserker axe description to be honest. I think it kinda implies that getting rid of the dagger isn't going to happen.
How would you design the curse mechanically?

>>54256815
Hmm you have a point. What would you do?
I was thinking of removing the bonus action part, and adding the hit die roll to damage.
Or making it so hit dies spent increments bonuses, but that's not going to be terribly exciting at lvl3.
Reach is pretty neat on a rogue though, since attacks of opportunity will happen more often (off of 10 feet instead of 5).
>>
>>54256599
>First ranger
Had some interesting ideas in its spirits at least, even if it was horribly designed with the hit dice and saves and shit.
>Mass combat 2
At least it has some good mechanics, even if D&D is a bad system for it and will almost never be relevant.
>Quick characters / variant rules
Literally nothing, which is better than garbage AFAIC.
>New encounter building
Literally nothing but also slightly insulting
>Initiative
Worse than nothing because of how awful it is both in concept and execution.
>Theurge wizard
This takes the cake though honestly, it's just so godawful from the idea to the execution and presentation. Literally just stealing cleric features and spells and changing up when you get them, with no concern for balance or maintaining the differentiating factors of each class.
>>
>>54256509
Go variant human. Fallen Aasimir Paladin of Vengeance is the definition of cringy edgelord character.
>>
File: Mick Meals.png (2MB, 1536x1255px) Image search: [Google]
Mick Meals.png
2MB, 1536x1255px
>>54256406
New initiative system looks great. I'm definitely going to try it!
Some of you guys should try it too!
>>
What exactly is a turretlock?

Also got some friends into the game and none of my old groups ever ventured to Chult and I always had an interest in it.
Anyone else remotely interested in Tomb of Annihilation?
>>
So the UA is initiative, but doesn't the DMG already have a guide to doing weapon speed style initiative? Has anyone else ITT used it? I'd like to know what it's like but my players won't let me.
>>
>>54257227
PEW PEW PEW with Eldritch Blast
>>
>>54257227
>Turretlock

Warlock that sits back spamming Eldritch Blast from long range.... So every Warlock to some degree.
>>
>There are people who actually allow variant human in their games
Why?
>>
>>54257294
to make fighters better.
>>
>>54257294
>there are people who dont give his players a free feat at level 1 on any class
>>
>>54257236
It's bad for similar reasons, but IIRC it's still better than Mearl's shit.
>>
File: better humans.png (621KB, 711x613px) Image search: [Google]
better humans.png
621KB, 711x613px
>>54257294
'cause they havent heard of the greatness that is playing with this Human variant + everyone getting a free feat at lvl1, no matter the race.

I know, people are ignorant.
>>
>>54257077
>Reach is pretty neat on a rogue though, since attacks of opportunity will happen more often (off of 10 feet instead of 5).
It's cool, but that is 2 attacks, one being situational as it needs an enemy to get out of the rogue's reach.

>What would you do?
The hit die cost is cool, but for one turn is really too steep.
Does your Rogue player uses TWF?
What about:
Two +1 Daggers
Whenever you crit, it costs a hit die and adds an extra d4 to the damage (similar to Half-Orc's Savage Attacks), otherwise it's not a crit.
It's cursed, he doesn't get to choose to spend a HD or not, he still gets the +1 value from them even when out of HD.

Considering sneak attack with two weapons, he'll get crits often.
>>
>>54257348
adaptability sounds a little but silly imo. you can't just be an entire race of bards.
>>
>>54257216
I'm implementing this on a table I DM.
My monk, rogue, and warlock players will love this!
>>
>>54256599
Encounter building is actually useful and Mass Combat v2 was very well received
>>
>>54257413
>Encounter building is actually useful
There are homebrew methods of balancing encounters that work better than it IIRC, but I agree it's not that bad.
>>
Noob here. Have a question about with Half-Orc/Great Weapon Fighting/Polearm Master

A GWF gets to re roll 1s/2s on Polearm bonus attack right? On crits do you roll bonus attack twice? Do you roll bonus attack three times when critting as a Half-Orc?
>>
>>54257348
I'd rather have the Determination feat (from http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/RJSJC2017_04UASkillFeats_24v10.pdf) + 1 skill proficiency on the PHB Human over this, so they basically get one advantage on anything every short rest and don't steal a feature from Bard.
>>
>>54257377
It's honestly too passive for my liking. I think magic items shouldn't be an "equip & forget". Curse or not, if there is no choice to use the item, I don't like it.

Thanks for the feedback though!
>>
>>54256599
Where the fuck is Lore Master Wizard, anon?
>>
>>54257441
the polearm bonus attack works like any other attack, the only difference is the d4 damage die, so you could reroll 1s and 2s, roll two d4 for a crit, and three d4 when you crit as a half orc
>>
So does Radiance of the Dawn produce Sunlight?
Research suggests yes
>>
>>54257503
Gotcha, so half orc polearm master crit would roll 3d10 and 3d4. If using a greatsword it would only be 5d6 though, right?
>>
>>54257597
Correct.
>>
>>54257597
no no
if you crit on a normal attack (from your action), you would roll 3d10
if you crit on the bonus action attack, you would roll 3d4
keep in mind a crit isn't considered 2/3 attacks, so you add your modifier to the 3d10 or 3d4 only once
>>
>>54257558
>As an action, you present your holy symbol, and any magical darkness within 30 feet of you is dispelled. Additionally, each hostile creature within 30 feet of you must make a Constitution saving throw. A creature takes radiant damage equal to 2d10 + your cleric level on a failed saving throw, and half as much damage on a successful one. A creature that has total cover from you is not affected.
I would rule no. It doesn't produce light as a Light or Sunbeam spell would, it only dispels magic darkness and deals radiant damage.
>>
WHat would the measurements be for an ancient dragon scale
>>
>>54257348
That looks like even worse cancer.
>>
>>54257630
Ahh so you roll to attack again for the bonus attack. Got it. I was kinda thinking it was a follow up on the original attack roll. I haven't reached level four yet so I haven't had the chance to mess this up in game.
>>
>>54257329
Why not just do that, without tying it to race?
>>
>>54257646
I'd imagine dragons use kg
>>
>>54257666
yes, it's an extra attack
works pretty well once your modifier goes up and if you get great weapon master to add +10 to the damage
>>
>>54257679
I chuckled.
>>
Did Mearls really need to use up the monthly UA to publish his shitty houserules, which everyone also already knew?
>>
>>54257679
Fuck i walked right into that one
>>
>>54257253
>>54257255
Oh, I was expecting something a little more than that.

So pretty much pump cha and take the invocations that boost EB and call it a day?
>>
Stop complaining about Mearls, the guy literally saved D&D
>>
>>54257757
I heard 4e was nice and balanced
>>
>>54257695
Yeah I'd like some more modifiers please. My buddy I started with went ranger and got archery+magic bracers that give +2 to atk/dmg so he is getting +9 to hit. Fucker.
>>
Is the MM in the trove? I can't seem to find it
>>
>>54257809
Are you on mobile
>>
>>54257809

Yes, it is.
>>
>>54256509
>Aasimir (Fallen)
crawling-in-my-skin tier

>>54256686
I'd complain, but the other fella was already complaining, so...
>>
Is the MM in the trove? I can't seem to find it
>>
>>54257815
Shit that said it didn't post and yeah I'm on mobile>>54257899 sorry
>>
>Amonkhet Plane Shift
>Naga
>Speed Burst. By lowering your body to the ground and propelling yourself with your arms, you can move more quickly for a time. As a bonus action on your turn, if you have both hands free, you can increase your walking speed by 5 feet until the end of your turn.

>Bonus Action
>Only usable unarmed
>FIVE FUCKING FEET

Is this a typo?
>>
>>54257918
THAn you hve to use the Mega app
>>
File: Path of the Enraged Magician.pdf (693KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Path of the Enraged Magician.pdf
693KB, 1x1px
>>54256822
Here
>>
>>54257929
K thanks I'm not usually on mobile
>>
>>54257928
Thats like the length of a human anon
>>
>>54257946
No problem anon
>>
>>54257928
Considering Naga never need weapons? Nah. It's situational but getting an extra 5 feet is better then nothing sometimes.
>>
>>54257943
Would 5th level spells be too much?
>>
>>54258010
Its a 1/3rd caster
>>
>Level 20 Wizards can create sentient life from literal shit and then turn into an Ancient Brass Dragon and fly away

WIZARDS

NO SENSE OF RIGHT OR WRONG
>>
>>54258094
But thats casting 2 9th level spells in a row anon
>>
>>54258094
And theyre both concentration
>>
>>54258112

>Simulacrum
>9th level spell

Wat
>>
>>54258136

You don't have to concentrate on true polymorph after you've made it permanent.
>>
>>54258112
It's technically possible with the High Magic epic boon, but if you're giving the WIZARD epic boons your fighter better have those as well.
>>
>>54258112
>Boon of High Magic
>>
>>54258179
You just gonna sit around for an hour with your new creation that was literally shit 6 seconds ago
>>
>>54258207

Dare you enter my magical realm?
>>
>>54258159
Simulacrum has to be made from snow, can't heal by any means except taking it to a laboratory and spending 100 gp PER FUCKING HIT POINT, and needs to be copied from somebody else (it only gains half hp when compared to the original). It also can't level up, regain spent slots etc.
>>
>>54258227

>reading comprehension is hard
>>
>>54258227
>Snow or ice in quantities sufficient to made a life-size copy of the duplicated creature; some hair, fingernail clippings, or other piece of that creature's body placed inside the snow or ice; and powdered ruby worth 1,500 gp, sprinkled over the duplicate and consumed by the spell
Technically, it doesn't say that the snow or ice is consumed by the spell, so you could use an arcane focus instead.
>>
>>54258246
What part did I miss, anon? Because I see that anon saying a max level wizard can create sentient life from "literal shit", which is exclusively True Polymorph territory
>>
>>54258094
>literal shit
literal shit including 1,500 gold worth of powdered ruby.
>>
File: Read Nigga Read.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
Read Nigga Read.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>54258246
>>
>>54258273
I'd say RAI is pretty clear, though. I'll check if there's a sageadvice or something
>>
>>54256738
is the Menacing feat worth it?
>>
>Be at a council of high lords or some shit
>Trying to make the case why they should help me to solve our party's bullshit problems
>Actually make a compelling argument
>DM tells me roll for persuasion
>Roll a 2
>DM says that since I made a good case, I get an advantage
>Barely get 10, with my bonuses and Guidance included
>DM pauses
>Says that my speech worked anyway
I'm not complaining, but I wonder why he even asked me to roll in the first place.
>>
Make a Simulacrum of yourself.

Have the Simulacrum True Polymorph a shit you just took into life with its 9th level spell slot.

Fly away as a Dragon with your 9th spell slot.

What's the problem, exactly?
>>
>>54258275

Simulacrum is a seventh level spell, not ninth. The only ninth level spell slot being used is for true polymorph.
>>
>>54258376
But simulacrum uses SNOW AND ICE
>>
>>54258340
Straight from a sage advice:
>Step 1: The ancient dragon uses Legendary Resistance. There is no step 2.
Although I suppose you COULD do it if you and your party wanted it to happen badly enough
>>
>>54258339
Maybe a much higher number and they would have helped you more?
>>
>>54258321
Maybe for Oath of Conquest?
>>
what's the strongest 8th level character possible?
>>
>>54258279
>Cast wish
>Simulacrum is now free, all you need is two days
>>
File: p01bfjpf.jpg (32KB, 357x401px) Image search: [Google]
p01bfjpf.jpg
32KB, 357x401px
>>54258400

Eh? What has Legendary Resistance got to do with anything?

You have Simulacrum and True Polymorph prepared.

You cast Simulacrum on yourself. You now have a Simulacrum that has True Polymorph Prepared.

Your simulacrum True Polymorphs your poop into a living being.

You True Polymorph yourself into a Dragon and fly away.
>>
>>54258340
But the simulacrum isn't you, and it said that as a level 20 wizard you could do both things yourself, and a simulacrum is copy of you, not you
>>
>>54258434
Bear barbarian goliath with 20 strength and magical items that boost their strength and a caster casting enhance ability (strength) and another casting enlarge person.
>>
>>54258395

>duplicated creature some hair, fingernail clippings, or other piece of that creature's body placed inside the snow or ice
>or other piece of that creature's body

I don't see how you're not getting this yet.
>>
>>54258470
But shit is just food waste, not grown like hair or fingernail clippings
>>
>>54258449
So a min 17th level wizard that knows both wish and true polymorph, you can do it for free given two days, taking in mind there's a 1/3 chance that you'll lose the ability to use Wish ever again
>>
>>54258495
You don't lose wish if you use it to cast a spell, I'm moderately sure.

So you can make a free dragon every two days.
>>
>>54258493
Shit contains dead red blood cells, which aren't much different from fingernail clippings or hair.
>>
>>54258495
Casting lower level spells with wish does not make you lose wish
>>
>>54258453
I really just glanced through your post since I figured it was going to be some meme shit, and I'd just read that sage advice, I thought there was no harm in the (You)

But no, it still doesn't work, unless your wizard takes dragon-sized shits
>>
I don't understand why Sorcerers don't get some armor proficiency. It's not like they've studied magic.
>>
>>54258493
>>54258518

This.
>>
>>54258557
It's not like they've studied fighting.
>>
>>54258557
I don't understand why peasants don't get some armor proficiency. It's not like they've studied magic.
>>
>>54258557
Game balance is my guess. You can take Stone Sorcerer if you really want it though
>>
>>54258557
I don't understand why housecats don't get some armor proficiency. It's not like they've studied magic.
>>
>>54258565
>>54258518
Well than its being made from dead red blood cells, not the shit itself
>>
>>54258557
They don't need armor proficiency, they have Mage Armor. Warlocks, however, need it, since they can't afford wasting literally half of their spellslots on it.
>>
>>54258518
Good luck finding a GM who will agree with that interpretation
>>
>>54258557
I don't get why gelatinous cubes don't get some armor proficiency. It's not like they've studied magic.
>>
>>54258592

It's still shit no matter how ya' cut it, bro.
>>
>>54258613
I swear you're the only reason we have an autism problem in this thead
>>
File: Yandere_71f35a_5650735.jpg (112KB, 600x466px) Image search: [Google]
Yandere_71f35a_5650735.jpg
112KB, 600x466px
>Wizards can literally shit in a pile of snow and turn it into themself one day and then turn it into a dragon the next day
>People, instead of acknowledging this is fucked up, desperately grasp for straws as to why this apparently doesn't work by the rules even though it does.

Denial of the problem is the first step.
Acceptance is the step at which you start to acknowledge the problem so we can deal with the problem.
>>
I think people are getting confused and crossed wires.

I wasn't talking about using shit to cast simulacrum.

I was talking about using True Polymorph on a shit and turning it into a living creature. Object into Creature.

>>54258461

It's called Wizards of the Coast, not Martials who can boast.

>>54258539

Nobody is talking about Polymorphing shit into a Dragon, anon.
>>
>>54258596

There are plenty of DM's that aren't garbage. Won't be hard.
>>
>>54258613
"Well there's dead cells inside this deuce" is very obviously not the intent for the spell
>>
>>54258636
Where do they sign up for retards anonymous
oh wait /b/ is over there
>>
File: hmmm.jpg (546KB, 979x832px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.jpg
546KB, 979x832px
>>54258636
>People can do crazy things in a game of make-believe

>How do we stop this from happening?
>>
>>54258651
Blood cells are very clearly a piece of a creature's body.
>>
>>54258636

>Make a meme about Wizards being literal gods and bringers of life
>People try to grasp on to rules about how it's not possible instead of laughing at how dumb Wizards are

FUCKING MARTIALS
>>
>>54258339
The way my DM does persuasion is that what you say sets the DC. Making a clear compelling argument would probably make for an easy DC like 10, whereas if you had said to them "Eyo help us out muhfuggas", the DC would be 25 or 30, as it would be nearly impossible to convince them in such a manner.
>>
>>54258635

It's okay if you don't understand it. Just a few more years in school, champ.
>>
File: IMG_1109.jpg (59KB, 952x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1109.jpg
59KB, 952x500px
>>54258661
>people misinterpret the rules retardedly and I defend them
>>
>>54258692
>stretching this far for a dumb meme
Join "druids are ghey" and fuck off armstrong
>>
>>54258667
"Nah" is all you're going to get. It's almost on the level of trying to make gunpowder on D&D. How does your wizard know cells are a thing, let alone a thing on the setting we're playing in? If microscopic samples are enough, where do you draw the line? These issues and more can all be avoided by occasionally telling the wizard "no".
>>
File: 1490933681675.png (156KB, 342x276px) Image search: [Google]
1490933681675.png
156KB, 342x276px
>>54258661
>Wizards can make an army of dragons
>Fighters can attack one extra time per turn
>This is totally okay
>>
>>54258735
>It's almost on the level of trying to make gunpowder on D&D
>Artificer
>>
>>54258279
you can transform stuff into pure gold and buy w/e you want with true polymorph
>>
>>54258753
It is okay, just like it's okay that a math PhD can earn you $300k starting while a GED gets you $10/hr
>>
>>54258735
>Wizard with 20 int and the power to do all sorts of crazy bullshit
>Doesn't know cells are a thing

>Getting this fussed over a material component that's literally just for flavour
>>
>>54258753
the dragons don't have to obey them
>>
Playing a Pally 2/Sorc X right now. Was thinking of going champion fighter to fish for divine smite crits. Is it worth the three level investment?
>>
>>54256599
>no option for Wizards continually shilling plane shifts
I guess it'd be pretty okay if I had literally any interest in Magic, but fuck it depresses me every time they push that instead of updating material for a real setting like Dark Sun.
>>
>>54258339
It honestly sounds like an example of the DM making up his interpretation of the persuasion skill on the spot because he didn't consider it until then. Which is fine, because it's a learning opportunity.
What he SHOULD HAVE done is let you roll, possibly with advantage, and then when you failed rule that the high lords have their heads so far up their ass today with their personal politics that even that wouldn't sway them.
If he's not prepared to deal with that, he really shouldn't have had you roll at all.

>>54258753
>>54258782
FFS we have 8 martial vs. caster threads every day, can we please not turn this thread into one of them?
>>
>>54258753
>>Wizards can make an army of dragons
This is objectively false. Celestials, demons, constructs, undead and possibly couple other kinds of conjurable minions are a possibility, but not dragons.
>>
>>54258760
Artifacer is a tinkerer guy who would know what gun powder is, but there isn't advanced medical knowledge in fucking d&d where the gods just send clerics to do all the healing
>>54258783
>casting a spell without material components because theyre just flavor
Thats one form of metagaming that doesn't work
>>
>>54258753

>Wizards can create an entirely new sentient race of creatures out of their own poop with true polymorph
>but boy that 10d6 sneak attack damage though
>>
>>54258760
Which may or may not be a thing on the setting either. Artificers can be rather ill-fitting for many settings, and as far as I know exist in the context of D&D mostly because of Eberron
>>
Want to know what other DMs think of a couple decisions I made:

Party is riding on flying mounts and fighting a manticore in the air. One player (barbarian halfling) has a Helmed Horror as a temporary companion and is having his Helmed Horror carry him as it flies around. At one point, he leaps at the manticore. Eventually, it leads to him being carried through the air by his Helmed Horror using a rope. He then asks me if he could have the Horror use him like a flail, doing this massive spin attack. I decide it sounds cool, but only give him double damage dice if he hits.

Second scenario, party is fighting in a tower. Paladin is on the third floor and decides to kick a dude down a spiral staircase. I decide to count it as fall damage, and make everyone the poor guy tumbles into need to make a dex check not to tumble with him.

What do you guys think of these decisions? I feel I might should have given the barb a bit more damage on his human-halfling-living-flail idea.
>>
>>54258788
"The simulacrum is friendly to you and creatures you
designa te. It obeys your spoken commands, moving
and acting in accordance with your wishes and acting
on your turo in combat."

There is nothing in creature to creature in true polymorph that says the creature stops obeying your commands.
>>
>>54256599
I don't exactly remember why, but I remember being really pissed at mass combat. Theurge still takes the cake, though.
>>
>>54258816
OH WAIT
Wish doesn't use material components SO THE SHIT ISN'T EVEN REQUIRED because it's JUST FOR FLAVOUR
>>
The initiative UA isn't meant to be a replacement for anything. It's for 1e and 2e grognards who miss the old system.
It's like adding a THAC0 variant for 5e. It's stupid, and everyone knows it's stupid, but those that grew up with it might want to use it for familiarity and nostalgia, and there's nothign wrong with that.

>>54258836
According to the survey, it doesn't!
>>
>>54258828
all this is based on the absolutely retarded fact that spells treat CR as equal to level

i can only assume the guy who made spells and the guy who made monsters never met each other
>>
>>54258855
>It's for 1e and 2e grognards who miss the old system.
Doesn't old D&D work with group initiative? I think B/X initiative is just a d6
>>
>>54258816
>but there isn't advanced medical knowledge in fucking d&d
>Literal medicine skill

Hm.
>>
>>54258783
The concept of "cells" as we know it didn't exist until the 19th century. I can perfectly well rule that your wizard doesn't know unless you specifically asked for him to research primitive biology. Or I can say science in the setting doesn't match up to real-world equivalents. Why is it so hard to understand? That's exactly why I brought up gunpowder, by the way
>>
>>54258874
All this is based on the absolutely retarded fact that high level spells are ridiculously broken and don't even have anything to limit them because nobody thinks anybody will seriously play a high level campaign with a wizard.

The fact that levels can be used to CR to make dragons like that is just icing on the cake on the realm of stupidity that wish and true polymorph get up to.
>>
>>54258886
As a rule of thumb, whenever you see people bringing up older editions as dirty words the odds are that they simply don't know what they're talking about
>>
File: DirgeSinger.jpg (24KB, 277x278px) Image search: [Google]
DirgeSinger.jpg
24KB, 277x278px
>Theurge is literally my favorite class because both Wizard/Clerics and White Mages are tropes I love
>mfw I know they'll change it to something boring
>>
>>54258906
Gunpowder often exists somewhere in the setting.
The thing is, why do you need gunpowder when you have magic?

Or gunpowder is just too expensive to make in-setting. Almost always, gunpowder exists somewhere anyway.

Also, in the 5e standard settings, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of races that came from space / there may be downed spaceships somewhere.

All you really need to do is cast one of the knowledge spells and ask 'yo god do cells exist?'
>>
>>54258874
>i can only assume the guy who made spells and the guy who made monsters never met each other
Which is impressive, considering the whole team is like 3 people.

>>54258886
I have no idea, I'm talking specifically about early editions of AD&D.
I'm not clear on 1e, but in 2e, you declared your actions and rolled a d10, modified based on those actions. This would occur at the beginning of every round.
Modifiers would be extremely fucking specific, too - every spell and weapon had its own "speed factor."
The new UA is clearly an attempt to capture this while keeping the system relatively simple.
>>
>>54258894
Do you think medicine just magically poofed into existence within the last 200 years?
>>
>>54258848
But we aren't using wish necessarily
>>54258894
Thats more "hmmm which bone is broken, thy leg bones or thy arm bones, never mind the cleric just cast a spell and you're all good to go"
>>
Mearls has really reached a new low putting Greyhawk's name on his shitty initiative rules to get easy clicks.
>>
>>54258927
I love the unarmoured healers. Goddamn clerics.

>>54258945
If you don't use wish, it costs you a load of money.
>>
File: 1423980079760.jpg (145KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1423980079760.jpg
145KB, 1400x1400px
>>54258855
WHAT THE FUCK IS THAC0
>>
>>54258927
I really hope they don't fucking include it at all. I am a cleric player, and I hate my spell lists and my class features go to wizard, just because Mearls is in love with the class, and can't bear the thought it being unable to do something.
>>
>>54258937
"Yes, theyre what they put prisoners in"
>>
Fact 1: Shit contains blood
Fact 2: Blood is unambiguously part of your body and thus could be used as a material component for Simulacrum
Fact 3: At one point, some drunk wizard must have tried casting Simulacrum using a pile of shit for the lulz and it worked
Therefore, even without a knowledge of modern biology, casters could still use Simulacrum on shit
>>
Anons? I wanna make an Unearthed Arcana article for 1d4chan - can anyone give me the rundown of what order the 5e UAs came out in? Or how anons reacted?
>>
>>54258968
It's DnD version of disco. It's old, dead and never coming back.
>>
>>54258953
>implying wizards aren't loaded
>>
>>54258968

THAC0

TO HIT ARMOR CLASS 0

LITERALLY SATAN
>>
>>54256443
It's not just nothing, it's backwards nothing that spits in the face of 5E's design philosophy, is already super close to optional rules from other releases, and that NO ONE WILL EVER FUCKING USE.
Also,
>low to high
REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54258968
"To Hit Armor Class 0", the original attack roll mechanic for D&D where the higher your AC was, the easier you were to hit, and the lower it was, the better.
>>
>>54258968
You lost, kid?
>>
>>54258992
Archive is your friend, anon. As for their order, it's on the Wizard's website. Since you are writing an article, do some research on your own.
>>
>>54258953
How do you make a solid unarmored healer in 5e?
>>
>>54259019
Grandpa, do you have any idea of how many years have passed since ADnD release?
>>
>>54258968
The minumum you have to roll to hit, their AC modified it. THAC0 basically means that you're not rolling to hit, it's a roll for them to defend.

>>54258977
I can get that, I love Clerics as well. Honestly I think Theurge is only broken at high levels, until then you're forced to take specific shitty spells.

Once you get to take any spells and get their 17 feature at 14 it's stupid though.

>>54259022
Favored Soul can do it alright.
>>
Can someone explain something to me? All of my experience is with 3.5e and Pathfinder so I'm a little lost when it comes to character creation.

I'm making a Barbarian and I'm looking at choosing the Guild Artisan background for my characters but I'm not really sure what that means. For skill proficiency, does that mean I'm allowed to choose those skills when I pick my two skills or do I have those two skills in addition to the two I choose through my class?

Also, what does tool proficiency mean? I'm assuming I get some sort of bonus while using those tools when I'm proficient with them vs. when I'm not, but does it do anything else? For example, if (hypothetically) I choose medical tools does that mean I can use a bone saw or something in combat without taking a penalty for it?

This is all very far from what I'm used to and so it's a little confusing to me.
>>
File: Mearls.png (153KB, 246x315px) Image search: [Google]
Mearls.png
153KB, 246x315px
First the Mystic now this. How do we stop him?
>>
>>54258924
Sorry, not this time. I AM a 2e grognard, and I know exactly what I'm talking about. See >>54258941.

>>54258968
Ooh, my favorite thing to explain!
So you see, everyone has a number called a "THAC0" ("To Hit Armor Class 0"). This number depends on their class and level - the higher your level in a class, the lower it gets.
Warrior classes (fighters, paladins, rangers, later barbarians) have the best THAC0 - it goes down by 1 every level. They're followed by priests (clerics, druids), rogues (thieves, bards), and wizards.
Having multiple classes does not help your THAC0 - if you're a fighter 2/rogue 3, your THAC0 is 19.
To hit an enemy, you must figure out your "to-hit" number. You do this by subtracting (!) the target's AC from your THAC0 (this means low AC is better, but 10 is still the base for a naked human).
For example, if I have a THAC0 of 16 and I want to hit a goblin with AC 7, I subtract 7 from 16 and get a 9. So to hit the goblin, I gotta roll a 9 on my d20. If I was aiming for a monster with AC -2, I'd have to roll an 18.
Older editions were not about the, how you say, "intuitive design."
>>
>>54258937
"Almost always" won't necessarily apply to a homebrew setting, which is what most people use for their home games.
>All you really need to do is cast one of the knowledge spells and ask 'yo god do cells exist?'
This assumes a pretty broad knowledge base to even know what questions to ask, and besides, most of those sorts of spells are divine magic.

This is the sort of issue that can be solved by playing nice with the GM and using it as a rp prompt, but otherwise, it's definitely on the GM fiat gray area.

>>54258988
>At one point, some drunk wizard must have tried casting Simulacrum using a pile of shit for the lulz and it worked
You're assuming shit about the setting, or that the principles of biology still even apply 1:1 to it
>>
>>54258953
>>54259022

Way of Tranquility Monk is unarmed (obviously) and is all about healing.
>>
>>54258968
Instead of you having 20 AC, you had -10 AC, the lowest the better
>>
>>54259022
Tranquility monk. You can be unarmored AND unarmed!
>>
>>54259021
Yeah, that's right, they did make UAs have their own dedicated page, didn't they? Never mind then. Thanks anons.
>>
>>54259033
You get those skills in addition, and tool proficiency means you can use your proficiency bonus when rolling for using those tools. You'll get it fast, since it's pretty streamlined.
>>
File: 1365375448549.jpg (27KB, 345x395px) Image search: [Google]
1365375448549.jpg
27KB, 345x395px
>>54256406
Why don't people like the new initiative UA?

Is there actual legitimate complaints about the variant or is it merely entitlement expecting something more solid like a new class?
>>
>>54259031
>THAC0 basically means that you're not rolling to hit, it's a roll for them to defend.
That's one way of looking at it. Effectively, you're rolling a d20, adding their AC, and trying to beat your own THAC0.

>>54259050
Nah brah, 20 AC is the equivalent of old-school 0.
-10 would be like a modern 30, and almost unheard of.
>>
>>54259033
You get those two skills in addition. If they double up with skills you already have, you can choose new skills in their place.

Tool proficiency is notoriously vague - as another anon said, it means you can use your proficiency when using those tools. What you can do with those tools is left to DM designation, for the most part. You could talk to your DM about letting you use a bone saw in combat, but I would say that tool proficiency are not supposed to be direct in combat things - they are tools (like blacksmithing), not weapon proficiency.

Bone saw can easily just be a refluffed item.
>>
>>54259079
Both expecting more and the new initiative being very unintuitive and iterating on a design that didn't need iteration.
>>
>>54259079
The complainers are all babies who grew up with the d20 system and don't remember the days when you had to do MATH to play D&D.

>>54259099
Also this.
>>
>>54259079
>Is there actual legitimate complaints
Yes. Not only it's shit, but it's not actually new. Not only it's new, it's been explained much more briefly before. This article fails in every way.

Also, Xanathar's guide comes out in november, and we're getting arcanas every month. There's very little time to playtest all this material - and if you think hexblade, artificer, mystic, oath of redemption etc are anywhere near the release quality, you are wrong.
Every arcana spent on NOT releasing new material or refining what we've seen before is a waste of space.
>>
>>54259061
>>54259095
Thanks, pals.

I was reading a Barbarian guide that mentioned Guild Artisan was a pretty horrible background for a Barbarian (from a mechanical standpoint), but it didn't explain exactly why. Would you agree with that or should I just disregard it and move ahead with my character as I have it already?
>>
>>54258636
>criticizing 5e in a 5eg
You'll only get shills in here my man.
One day your friends' 5e campaign will end and you'll be able to play a system that's good.
>>
>>54259079
Honestly I dislike the rules. I'd much rather do an Initiative Score system that's influenced by the armour and weapons you're wielding as well as DEX. The penalty for weapons would likely be the average of the damage die rounded down and I'd figure out something for armour.

Probably also a penalty for spellcasting focuses and pouches.

Anything that give ADV I'd make +5 of course.
>>
>>54259119
It gives you Insight and Persuasion as skills. As a barbarian, you will likely have high strength, dexterity and constitution. As in, not charisma and wisdom.
Unless you're the only player who's not autistically afraid of social interaction at your table, you should probably leave talking stuff to somebody who'll be better at it.
>>
File: 1371082213154.jpg (47KB, 432x600px) Image search: [Google]
1371082213154.jpg
47KB, 432x600px
>>54259099
>iterating on a design that didn't need iteration.

But there is something very dull about having a static turn order. Everyone knowing exactly when they're going to act. Turn based combat just reminds one of a video game.

>The enemy doesn't get to act til the end of the round so I won't use my spell because 4 other people will get rounds to finish it off

>>54259114
Are you implying you playtest every new UA?
>>
>>54259119
Basically: Certain skills are more advantageous than others, or may have easier synergies (e.x.: If it gives you skills that key off Int, you're pretty unlikely to have decent Int).

It just comes down to the other backgrounds may synergize better, or give you skills that you're more likely to use (for example: athletics).

I would just make the character *you* want to make.
>>
>>54259031
>Favored Soul can do it alright.
Any AL legal stuff? Would Monk 1/Land Druid X work?
>>
>>54259132
>>criticizing 5e in a 5eg
>You'll only get shills in here my man.
Or, as you have pointed out yourself, PEOPLE WHO PLAY 5E AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT.
If you want to complain about 5e without being contradicted, go to /pfg/.
>>
>>54259147
>>54259153
This is about what I expected, thanks again.

I don't really expect to use insight or persuasion all that much but I think the rest of the Guild Artisan bonuses make it a worthwhile choice anyway. I can't think of many other ways I can get the tool proficiencies I want without changing what I want the character to be.
>>
>>54259157
Why do you want to be a healer anyway? It's not like it's a necessary role in 5e. Or DnD as a whole.
>>
>>54259162
This
>>
>>54256524
>implying you aren't dual wielding
>>
>>54259179
Paladins don't even get the necessary fighting style.
>>
>>54259022
>>54258953
DMG shows how to make Unarmored Clerics. Take away most weapon and armor proficiences, give Monk's 10+DEX+WIS AC.
There you go, unarmed healer.
>>
>>54259168
I play healers in every other game. It's fun!
>>
File: TSR Initiative.png (280KB, 1200x1580px) Image search: [Google]
TSR Initiative.png
280KB, 1200x1580px
>>54258941
>I have no idea
AD&D 1E has speed factors but is a d6
>>
>>54259150
It's not very hard to just say "Reroll initiative every turn," anon. But this isn't just that, it also has flipped the values of dice rolls so that lower = faster and higher = slower. Mearls acted as if that changes the dynamic of the game, except it really only does nothing but flip the number values people want, and punishes someone for having a good DEX bonus, as initiative bonuses now make you slower. Not to mention using different dice for initiative is just overcomplicating the design of a game that was intended to be a streamlined version of the standard model. It goes against the model 5e set out to be for the sake of providing a UA that wouldn't step on the toes of XGE when it comes out.
>>
>>54259213
Not in 5e, it isn't. Your healing can't outpace enemy's damage at any point of the game, but especially after level 5 or so. Let me give you an example - a bulette does 4d12 damage with it's bite attack. At the level you're supposed to be fighting it, you can heal 3d8+Wis hit points by wasting a valuable level 3 spellslot.
Cure wounds is a trap option. Healing word and Prayer of Healing are the only worthwile healing spells in the game. Pop a healing word to raise an ally from the zeroes. Prayer of healing after combat to restore the party to fighting capability.
>>
>>54259248
Pardon my ignorance, but what is B/X?
>>
>>54259272
D&D Basic and Expert sets, better than AD&D
>>
>>54259269
>Your healing can't outpace enemy's damage at any point of the game
It doesn't fucking have to. Healing adds effective hit points that enemies have to chew through. It still takes the bulette longer to kill you if you're getting healed.

>>54259292
>Better than AD&D
How so?
>>
>>54258461
Don't make this thread devolve back into whether the ability to wish is outside the purview of a simalucrum. It's an argument that goes nowhere every time, and doesn't matter because no game will every allow for it anyway.
>>
>>54259272
Basic/Expert, a version of Basic D&D. It's what most the OSR grogs play nowadays. It was published to be an introduction to "normal" D&D until Expert made it into a full-fledged game, and eventually got expanded into BECMI (Basic/Expert/Companion/Master/Immortal), but that had a shorter shelf life
>>
File: not nice.gif (992KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
not nice.gif
992KB, 500x376px
>>54259269
o-oh thanks anon haha
>>
>>54259249
Why don't you read the fucking UA before spewing bullshit off your stupid ass?

>You do not add any modifier (including your Dexterity modifier) to this roll.
>If two creatures tie for initiative, those creatures act in order of Dexterity, with the highest Dexterity going first.
>>
File: 1491188172481.png (229KB, 911x1470px) Image search: [Google]
1491188172481.png
229KB, 911x1470px
>>54259317
>>54259331
>How so?
Its a lot simpler and succinct
>>
>>54259328
This conversation was over for a while now
>>
>>54258799
>No real material for Dark Sun, Planescape, Eberron, Dragonlance, etc..
>BUT HEY YOU WANT TO GO TO ZENDIAKR RITE?
At least Ravenloft got to come back
>>
>>54259317
You just give it more time to hit the guy you just healed since you are standing around doing fucking nothing. It is better to bonus action heal and try to actually kill the enemy.
>>
File: Transexualsdotjpeg.png (11KB, 385x73px) Image search: [Google]
Transexualsdotjpeg.png
11KB, 385x73px
>>54256406
yo op link the discord we are having a limited time offer for newbies from our local lgbtqa population
>>
>>54259317
AD&D added a lot of (in the opinion of many) unwanted bloat and was very messily laid out. Basic pretty much included exactly what you'd actually use in a easy-to-read presentation

It's also the simplest and most barebones edition of D&D so you can homebrew it into hell and back and it'll still just werk
>>
>>54259397
drop the link
>>
Clerics are for casting Spirit Guardians and taking the Dodge action. Healing is a meme.
>>
>>54259397
Fuck off discord fags, we don't need your drama
>>
>>54259360
That conversation is months old.
>>
Do you not get a free feat at 1st level in 5e?

I'm so fucking confused.
>>
>>54259433
Correct, you do not get a free feat at level 1 (unless you are a variant human).
>>
>>54259397
>yo op link the discord
You could have just linked it yourself, but you're just a baitfag who wants to rile people up over pointless arguments and your own shitty politics.

>>54259433
Officially, no. But a lot of groups give one out anyway.
>>
>>54259162
/pfg/ likes 5e more than they like PF.
>>
>>54259433
Not unless you're a variant human. Feats are technically an optional rule and very powerful
>>
>>54259433
If you're a variant human, you do. Otherwise, no.
>>
So I need a little help with an encounter. I'm kind of new to 5e so I haven't learned all the details about all the spells yet.
I can explain more background if people are interested, but the short of it is that the encounter involves rigging a bet.
A noble who supports their faction has placed a bet with another eccentric noble who is the biggest land owner in the city. The aim is to redistribute his wealth back into the hands of the people since his tenants are forced to pay exorbitant sums to live there. The bet is on a wrestling match. Basically the rules are like a pro wrestling ladder match, except not fake because this is fantasy and people are allowed to actually get hurt.

However, the good noble's wrestler has gone missing the same day of the match. Fortunately the Rogue happens to be about the same build as the guy. He's a silent luchador type so the rogue just needs to keep quiet and do acrobatic shit with the mask on. Keep in mind they're here to cheat, so he's encouraged to use the party's oil of slipperiness so that it's impossible to be pinned(can still be knocked out though). He's going to be alone in the ring just trying to last until he can dropkick or flip onto the guy enough times to wear him down so he can set up the ladder and grab the belt being levitated above the ring.

The thing is I need a caster who is helping the other guy cheat. The win condition for the encounter is for the Cleric and lunar Druid to track down the caster and incapacitate him so only their side is cheating and the rogue can win the match. Either side can cast anything that no one would be able to visibly see that there's cheating. They're only level 3 right now so the highest level spell I want the enemy to be able to use is like a level 2 spell. What do you guys think would be the best spells for an enemy to use in this situation from outside the ring(so no touch)
>>
>>54259468
PRove it
>>
>>54259205
>Take away their AC and give them worse AC instead but still too much AC for the entire point of an 'unarmoured healer'

The point of unarmoured healers is they have low AC.
>>
>>54259451
>>54259452
>>54259469
>>54259474
I think that's pretty lame, friends.
>>
>>54259517
Sure. Hold on a sec.
>>
>>54259478
It's an arcane trickster with an invisible mage hand
>>
>>54259478
The most subtle options are buffs cast before starting. Bless, Shield of Faith, Haste, Enlarge. It also gives them an additional "out" by outlasting the spell durations.

Slightly less subtly would be mind effecting spells cast by a subtle sorcerer, or other non-visual effects, like casting a hold person during a pin.

The biggest cheat option would be to employ a mystic, they could go as far as actually doing damaging manifestations without it being obvious.
>>
>>54259540
You are entitled to your opinion. You asked a question and we answered. We're not here to argue with you.
>>
>>54259540
Then DM yourself and give a free feat at level 1.

Personally I feel it's better to leave the feat open more for customization because otherwise it's a limited range to pick from and just 'get your compulsory feat earlier' for the martials, but editing compulsory feats is a whole another thing.
>>
>>54259050
20 AC would be the AD&D equivalent of -1 AC
>>
>>54259614
Pretty sure plate armour+shield was like 0 AC.
>>
>>54259540
If i were to DM a slightly more heroic and magical game than normal, i would probably allow for a free feat from a specific list. No GWM/Sharpshooter shenanigans, but non-combat or sub-optimal options for flavor purposes would be fine.
>>
>>54259614
No, it would be 0 - an improvement of 10 over the baseline of 10.

>>54259628
Full plate + shield was indeed 0, I just checked.
>>
>>54259601
Customization in character builds just seems so goddamn boring in 5e. Where are the options? If I want to make Aragorn I'll make Aragorn, but I shouldn't have to play as Aragorn if I'm playing a ranger.

I'm obviously being a little hyperbolic but coming over from other editions makes everything in 5e seem so limited and shitty.
>>
>>54259650
>Hey for my level 1 feat I want to stop using spell slots and use my health pool instead
>Yeah sure thing let me just work out how that'd work and then we can roll with it
>>
>>54259669
Aragorn, not Eragon.

However, a class that had no spell slots but cast from hit points would be fuckin dope, especially if it was mostly a martial class.
>>
Starting a new campaign soon and I really want to play a Halfling Barbarian. What's the best way to run this? I was thinking that since great weapons are out, I'd use a longsword and shield and 2H the longsword when I rage. Bear totem for increased tankiness.
>>
>>54259709
I honestly don't know how to emulate that and the blood magic thing was more of my go-to example for 'custom feats for level 1 to completely change how you play'.
>>
How do I make a Warlock/Monk PC work if I have to get at least 5 levels in Warlock?
>>
>>54259725
Huh. Well, Eragon's magic system (at least for dragon riders, I only read the first book) is totally "I cast from hit points"
>>
>>54259709
A barbarian gets so fucking angry it starts warping reality around it. I like it. I'd make it so that it drains max hitpoints (which can't be restored by anything other than a long rest).
>>
>>54259414
What drama?
>>
>>54259735
It's quite a common thing that you hurt your body somehow by casting a lot.

Though DnD casting just seems to be more 'you stop feeling like you can cast anymore'.
>>
>>54259517
My apologies anon. I fished for responses but I could not get the ones I wanted. You win.
>>
>>54259744
Clashing beta orbiters fighting over girls none of them will ever meet.
>>
File: renju-mv-unexplored-ruins.jpg (374KB, 1600x720px) Image search: [Google]
renju-mv-unexplored-ruins.jpg
374KB, 1600x720px
Here's a hypothetical: You're hired to add an additional chapter/module/etc to an existing published campaign. It can either replace sections or be pure addition. How would you proceed?

I'd probably end up creating a module for Elemental Evil that combines the elements instead of keeping them static (e.g. fire + air = fire tornado, or earth + water = mud monster). Similarly, I'd add an actual final boss that's less "go complete these four dungeons that are largely independent from each other" and more of a cohesive BBEG that combines all of the elements (or maybe uses a nebulous new one a la holy/dark magic).
>>
hey, does anyone have the unlabeled maps of Faerun from Mike Schley? Thanks in advance
>>
>>54259735
>>54259709
A paladin that casts from hit points. It would fit in perfectly in Dark Sun. Make him an agent of a sorcerer-king.
>>
>>54259517
Not them but I know from past mentions when /pfg/ had a bit of crossover, they're trapped in a state of limbo and want out.
>>
>>54259762
I'm never over there myself so i wouldn't know, lets call it a draw
>>
What weapon stats would you use for a two-handed butcher's cleaver? What about a one-handed cleaver?

A kitchen knife would probably just be a dagger, I'm guessing.

Would a Barbarian ever want to use a shield? What shield stats would you use for a cast-iron pot lid being used as a shield?
>>
>>54259568
I thought about that. He can just knock down the ladder every time he tries to climb it. That would literally all he could do during the match, though. There are story reasons that would make sense why it's an arcane trickster rogue as well.

I just kinda felt like it was too subtle, but the more I think about it, the better it works. Since it's already not much of a combat encounter it adds a better puzzle element to the match since they will have to figure out what's actually going on.
>>
>>54259723
Dual wield lances
>>
Has anyone made good henchmen rules for 5e? I've looked and the hirelings ones don't really cut it.
>>
>>54259875
He can stick his mage hand up the guys ass, tickle him, stuff like that. I'm not joking.
>>
>>54259849
The first thing that comes to mind is how Dark Souls classifies the cleaver as an axe. This makes sense when you think about how it's primarily used to do a chopping motion.
>>
>>54259763
There's been more? I remember when it was first deleted because of the """trap""" stuff, good to see I bailed before it got worse!
>>
>>54259901
What is the pressure of an anus, more than 10 pounds?
>>
>>54259517
Their discord has a 5e channel and the admin admits he hates PF.
>>
>>54259937
The general discords are always cancer and only attract weirdos, and thats saying something on 4chan
>>
>>54259932
A hand that can lift 10 pounds is more than enough to leave your bottom befuddled.
>>
>>54259932
>>/FATAL/, probably

>>54259928
"Trap" as in Wot4E, or "trap" as in Corellon?
>>
>>54259849
Barbarians use shields all the time. And all shields give +2 ac unless otherwise noted.
>>
File: IMG_1078.jpg (60KB, 990x749px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1078.jpg
60KB, 990x749px
>>54259982
Excellent
>>
>>54259723
Dex barbarogue barbarian5/rogueX, rapier+shield.
>>
>>54260022
Dude

Dude what if we took Barbarian right

And we like

Dude

What if we took Barbarian and ignored rage damage bonus and reckless attack in favor of marginally better AC and saves

Duuuude...
>>
File: initiative.png (230KB, 576x440px) Image search: [Google]
initiative.png
230KB, 576x440px
>tfw you name your shitty initiative system after Greyhawk so that people think that Greyhawk is bad and you get to make more Forgotten Realms products but the community wants Greyhawk anyway and ruins your plan
>>
>>54259914
It also fits in that both are weapons specialized in countering chain mail AFAIK
>>
File: disgustu.gif (47KB, 299x409px) Image search: [Google]
disgustu.gif
47KB, 299x409px
>>54260022
>>
>>54260071
>If you don't use reckless attack and aren't raging it does the exact same damage
>If you are raging it's +15% damage or so

Dude

Dude what if we took Barbarian right

And we like

Dude

What if we took Barbarian and ignored unarmoured defence and good initiative/dexskills/saves in favor of marginally better damage and spamming reckless attack to make it so enemies can stab the fuck out of you

Duuuude...
>>
>>54260094
I like FR and it works fine for what they're doing
>>
>>54260101
Who's she?
>>
>>54260071
You dum dum
You still attack with strength, but since it's a finesse weapon you can also sneak attack
Silly goose
>>
After LMoP, what adventure should I run?
>>
>>54259901
that's silly but I like it. do shit that would give him disadvantage on a roll and whatnot.

>>54259932
>>54259982
according to quick research I did people on reddit claim that the average male butthole can hold in an anal bead attached to a weight of up to 600g without it slipping out. this is about 1.2 psi the anus is able to exert in order to hold/push against something.

There's also a tech who does colonography in the thread and he says that the maximum PSI they exert to inflate the colon so the image can be taken properly is around 0.6
>>
>>54260094
I actually want Mystara or a Council of Wyrms like box setting
>>
>>54259433
>>54259540

I ban v. humans in my games and give everyone a free feat.

It's the most sane option.
>>
>>54260141
The most sane option is not allowing feats at all
>>
>>54260141
It makes nobody play humans and it doesn't address the real issue which is compulsory feats for big weapon martials to be relevant.

>>54260154
>Haha yeah because who would want to play a martial right?
>>
>>54260118

SKT.
>>
>>54260154
How is that sane?

Might as well assign your players roles at the start and tell them what they'll be playing as since by that point almost every other option is gone too.
>>
>>54260164
>It makes nobody play humans

That's not a problem for me. I have people in my group that will play humans regardless of whether or not they are overpowered.
>>
>>54260164
That's not a problem for me. I have people in my group that will play martials regardless of whether or not they are overpowered.
>>
>>54260196
>>54260179
This isn't a problem for me. I have people in my group that will play dogshit regardless of whether or not it does anything.
>>
>>54260168
Some anons said it was shit last thread
>>
>>54260118
Curse of Strahd.
>>
>Martials need GWM to be relevant
When will this meme die?
>>
>>54260118
Anything not in the Forgotten Realms
>>
>>54260212

It's widely considered the second best adventure after Curse of Strahd.
>>
>>54260118
Honestly I hate SKT and CoS for various reasons, a lot of people like them though.

Princes of the Apocalypse with some editing can be awesome. Out of the Abyss is also good.
>>
>>54260223
>Curse of Strahd.
I want it to be a follow up adventure, how would PCs go from Lost Mines to Barovia?

>>54260232
I want an official adventure

>>54260239
>Princes of the Apocalypse with some editing
What changes should I make to run PotA?
>>
>>54260226
I wish there was some machine-learning filter that gets rid of all "martials vs. casters" posts. Alas...

>>54260232
Isn't that just Curse of Strahd?
>>
>>54260212
From second-hand information being on /5eg/ a lot it seems it's one of the more appreciated modules but it has its flaws.

Princes of the apocalypse and that dragon one seem to be hated, and out of the abyss is maybe another okay one.
>>
>>54260249
>I want it to be a follow up adventure, how would PCs go from Lost Mines to Barovia?
The party heads out from Phandalin toward Neverwinter. A mist settles over them as they travel through the forest. When they emerge on the other side, they discover they are not on the Sword Coast but in Barovia.
>>
What about TotYP?
>>
>>54257943
>at 6nd level
>>
>>54259988
feminine penis
>>
>>54260164
Someone wanting to play a character who does high damage all day long and uses skills for things?

As a player who regularly plays Barbarians I generally dislike the weapon feats. They add nothing except a higher maximum on the possible damage.

Also friendly reminder that if you're not going to let a martial attempt things with skills that are heroic, you should also be placing a very strict interpretation of spells.

>>54260294
Works awesome if you want to make your own campaign but need some filler dungeons.
>>
>>54260347
>Also friendly reminder that if you're not going to let a martial attempt things with skills that are heroic, you should also be placing a very strict interpretation of spells.

Most DMs do not understand this.
>>
File: Capture.png (25KB, 590x244px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
25KB, 590x244px
>>
>>54259744
>>54259763
>>54259928
There hasn't been more, the Discord has actually been chill.

There's just one anon (>>54259397) obsessed over one of the members and dragging it into here for some reason.
>>
>>54260171
retard videogame buildfag capeshit cancerbaby detected
>>
>>54260330
I just copypasted reckless attack, give me a break
>>
>>54260369
What does he mean by subsystems?
>>
>>54260374
Have fun playing as the most boring, archetypal representation of your class.

Do you even come up with your own names for your characters, or do you just use the ones Tolkien thought up for you?
>>
>>54260347
>Someone wanting to play a character who does high damage all day long
>Without feats
>Uses skills for things
>When casters have skills too
>They add nothing except a higher maximum on the possible damage.

A valor bard can do almost as much damage as a fighter can do without feats AND has much better skills in general AND has full spellcasting... And has support abilities such as bardic inspiration. Fighter gets them action surge and some manoeuvres for burst I guess but full casting's burst is much better.

Feats don't provide a 'higher maximum'. They give you extra attacks which massively ups your damage more than a +1 strength modifier, along with shit like +10 damage which works out in a large net increase in damage if you have a rough idea of your enemy's AC before using it.

You are purposefully gimping yourself for no reason other than 'I don't like feats'.
>>
>>54260369

This is to be expected, really. Anyone who expected otherwise was kidding themselves.

I would really like some exciting campfire things that don't include encounters. That'd be nice.
>>
>>54260424
>A valor bard can do almost as much damage as a fighter can do without feats
[citation needed]
>>
>>54260424
In what way does a valor bard do damage?
>>
>>54260369
>tfw we are getting thac0
>>
>>54260445
Citation? What, for something as simple as fucking 'I hit with my sword'?
Sure.

Valor bard can use a greatsword.
Greatsword does 7 damage average.
They get extra attack.

Fighter can take a fighting style to get +1.33 damage on greatsword.
They deal 8.33 damage average.
Wow, ~18% extra damage, sure are feeling the benefits of being a martial, aren't we?
The only difference hits at level 11 once fighter gets another extra attack. But the bard can get elemental weapon and get +2 to hit and +2d4 to damage.

Maybe the fighter can get +strength while the bard is dicking about not caring because they're not supposed to be a proper martial anyway but it's not really enough to really define the fighter's role unless it's 'be 50% better than the casters at dealing mundane single-target damage in a tame fashion while the casters go around flying, summoning demons from hell and dropping fireballs around'

>>54260478
By hitting things.
>>
>>54260418
>if i cant powergame buildfag i dont want to play at all
lol kid, if i want to play an autistic miniatures combat game ill play 40k and actually enjoy myself
>>
>>54258159
>>54258279
It's not clear if the simulacrum copy is sentient at all. The spell being referenced is clearly True Polymorph.
>>54258273
The spell has expensive/consumed components, so you can't just wand any of them away, at least I believe that's how it works out.
>>54258557
I don't understand what sorcerers are supposed to be doing in-universe. It's not like they study any-fucking-thing. So I just assume mine is actually studying magic, but is self taught.
>>
>>54260418
I unashamedly use Quenya to name all my elf characters. Everyone loves Éarsil Fangalau, the elven pirate.
I will owe one non-specified favor to anyone who can figure out the name.

>>54260481
We should be so lucky. :^)
>>
>>54260369
>Well guys I see most of you hated this thing, but kidding aside we'll be sure to publish more stuff like it for the next 4 months
>>
>>54260363
Most DM's are honestly pretty shit, if the Barbarian with 16 STR wants to rage and smash a tree over onto a group of enemies, you can bet your ass I'll reward that. Same as a Rogue should be able to match near invisibility at high levels and the Fighter should be able to attempt climbing the city walls easy in 6 seconds.

No one wants to play Joe the farmer with a pike, it's called heroic fantasy for a reason.

Weapon feats will never be the thing that balances casters and martials, it just makes martials who got them completely unbalance the game.

>>54260424
I'm not saying martials are balanced in the system, the never have. I gave reason for someone to play one in a game without feats.

I think the issue is people try to turn a game about adventure into "Ma gritty pike simulator" without doing anything to stop Spellcasters.

If you won't let them attempt to do martial activities beyond our human skill, then why are the wizards doing casting beyond our of human skill?
>>
>>54260347
Also I forgot to mention barbarian is inherently inferior to barbarogue until level 20 if you don't take feats.
>>
>>54260532
Seashine No-Beard?
>>
>>54260445
Not him, but it really depends, which isn't a good statement at all. Valor bard can blow inspiration on their damage rolls for times than a fighter can action surge, at least at low levels.

Longsword: 1d10+3 Damage (16 STR)
Rapier 1d8+3+1d6 Damage (16 Dex + Bardic Inspiration)

By the way they do averages, the longsword would deal 9 slashing while the inspired bard would do 12.
>>
>>54260568
I blame the system for encouraging shit DMing, it's not a coincidence that games without "modern" d20 incentive structures, explicitly defined powers, and balance focus don't have these sorts of problems. They have problems of course but not these ones.
>>
>>54260515
You know it's easier to powergame with fewer options, right? When you only have three choices it's much more obvious which option is the strongest.

The vast majority of the available customization options in 3.5e and Pathfinder are flavor options that do very little to make your character stronger.
>>
>>54260568
>If you won't let them attempt to do martial activities beyond our human skill, then why are the wizards doing casting beyond our of human skill?
We need abilities to define this. The sad thing is that, say, a lore bard is better at all the 'skills' by having so many skills on top of jack of all trades and various other things than a fighter will be. He's better at jumping, acrobatics, stealth, you name it. Okay, you might be able to beat him ever so slightly on stealth but he'll beat you on every single other skill.
Abilities such as action surge.
But abilities that have more utility-based coverage.

The thing is, fighters are good at combat.
Wizards are good at non-combat utility.

To further cement this, fighters with their many ASIs take feats. They become better at fighting.
The wizard focuses on their utility and everyone is good at their field.

The true fix is to reduce the gap between 'guy who knows what he's doing with feats' and 'I don't wanna take feats', and the simplest solution to do that is to let people have parts of the compulsory feats for free.
>>
>>54260584
Damn, that was fast...
Name your reward.
Nerd.
>>
Just finished running the one shot "a wild sheep chase". Highly recommend for some quick, cute fun. Great for new players.
>>
Is an elder elemental a viable patron for a warlock?
>>
>>54260613
you clearly dont appreciate how toxic your own buildfagging is

the return on buildfagging increases as the options increase and there reaches a point where only munchkin buildfags like the retards that jerk off about damage stats in this very thread have the time to sort through them

if you want to know why people disable feats look no further than your mirror, faggot
>>
>>54260369
I love this man
>>
>>54260693
Are you autistic or something?
>>
>>54260629
Feats don't balance the game in the slightest, being able to have 2 level 5 Fighters burst hard enough to kill a dragon is far, far away from the balance they intended.

I've made it clear I don't think the system is balanced, but the solution that's easiest is to think like this.

Level 11 Assassin with Expertise and 20 DEX wants to attempt to hide in the grass by going prone? Sure. An Assassin who ispowerful enough to kill most people with a butter knife scratch can probably also be skilled enough to hide there.

Then if the Bard with Expertise and 16 DEX wants to try it? No. You're a Bard not an Assassin, you can still attempt to hide as well as him, but he's spent years perfecting the craft of it in ways you're not possible of matching.

Sure it's not the system, but if you're someone claiming that a variant rule is needed then you agree the system has issues. This is a better way of patching it then.

>People who take PAM+GWM or SS+CBE shit all over everyone else
>>
>>54260758
t. netdecking sperg who uses his free time searching for ways to cheat in a cooperative game
>>
>>54260249
the same way everyone goes to Barovia

Fog rolls in, I CAN'T SEE SHIT, Fog goes away and you're in Barovia. Enjoy your stay
>>
>>54260439
Being able to do things for mechanical benefits when resting would be a fun little subsystem. Cooking checks, musical performances, crafting simple little things overnight and so on.
>>
>>54260760
It's not really a good way of patching it because it's not something that can easily be applied across DMs.
It's incredibly subjective.
Fixing the feat problem with a certain set of rules is something objective. It's a proper fix. The DMs can toughen up encounters if they need to.

But 'DMs should do what they feel people should be able do to' doesn't really work. It's something that should be done, yes, but it's not going to work out properly. One DM might say 'Yes, a wizard of evocation would know knowledge about X without issue' whereas another would think 'why would they know that?'
>>
>>54260791
>i don't like it so it's cheating reeeeeeee

You're the guy no one wants to play with because you spend the whole time demanding everyone at the table play the way you want them to, aren't you?
>>
>>54260822

Yeah, exactly! I kind of want to implement something like that in my games, but I'm afraid everyone else at the table would feel like it'd be holding the game up too much. One of these days I'm gonna run a nice low-key game with comfy story telling around a campfire. Maybe.
>>
>>54260829
>The DMs can toughen up encounters if they need to.
At that point you've now done nothing because you canceled out any reason to get a feat if the DM will just buff encounters to match it.
>>
>>54260862
Feats aren't a flat damage increase. If used right they turn out to be one in a way, but generally it's not quite like that. With giving everyone parts of feats it means there's different benefits to using different weapons, moreso than before and reason to switch between weapons, whereas before weapon specialization denied that.

If it were a flat damage boost, then.. No, it still wouldn't be meaningless, because it's balancing martials respective to casters.

DMs should already be balancing their encounters anyway as players can vary in playstyle and effectiveness regardless of how good their character is, and magic items and such sway the balance.
>>
>>54260369
Mearls may actually be what kills 5e's popularity.
>>
>>54258806

Most of tg seem fatally allergic to roll-then-narrate mechanics. My guess is because they want to fish for bonuses.
>>
>People still don't realise the correct fix is to make everyone except Warlock's cantrips be Spellcasting modifier times per day
>>
Fucktards made 2 new threads

>>54260479

>>54261039

take your pick
>>
>>54257340
What reasons are those?
>>
>>54260519
it's described as being incapable of learning and can only take orders from you. hardly sentient at all.
Thread posts: 399
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.