[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mekton Wargaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: mekton_zeta[1].jpg (230KB, 600x775px) Image search: [Google]
mekton_zeta[1].jpg
230KB, 600x775px
I have a copy of Mekton Zeta coming in the mail. Should arrive in a few days. Haven't read it yet.
Have any of you guys played it as a miniature wargame? I'm not big into RPGs but I heard Mekton Zeta can be played as a wargame. Is it easy to convert? I couldn't find much info on the subject. I'm aware that Mekton had an earlier incarnation that was actually a wargame, but I couldn't find a copy of it so I went with Zeta and I also ordered a couple 1/400 scale Gundam models to use.
>>
I mean, sure? You'd be better off homebrewing your own system unless you want to deal with some horrific amount of cheese.

Also, assuming that you got figures that are 1.8" tall, then one hex constitutes 3.6" (which I'd just round to 10cm for ease of measurement). The MA rules are kind of odd regarding actual movement, insofar as you have a certain number of points you spend to move, and turning 180 degrees takes just as much effort and time as walking 50 meters, which doesn't really make sense if you're trying to make a system that emulates Mobile Suit combat.
>>
>>54253086
My plan was to use MZ as a base and then streamline it for wargaming purposes using cards for premade Mobile Suits. I'd heard MZ handles combat fairly simply and had heard good things about it as a wargaming system but I hadn't found any details as to how to do it. I guess I'll have to figure it out once it arrives.
And yes, the minis I got are about 2". I was thinking of maybe upping it to 1/300 (6mm) scale since it's more popular and it'd be easier to find terrain and stuff for it.
>>
File: SLROBO2.jpg (41KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
SLROBO2.jpg
41KB, 600x600px
>>54253245
Okay, so a cheaper option you could take is to order a dickload of shitgrade chinese knock-offs that you get out of those gumball machines. You'll get Gundams, Zakus, Goufs, Gyans, Gelgoogs, and Doms. Like 150 of them for $8.50 from Rhode Island Novelty (It's called "Robot Assortment").

They're like two-ish inches tall and are roughly in scale with Battletech miniatures, so you could just use Battletech papercraft terrain.

I did this for my campaigns and it worked out pretty well. We had pretty decently sized cities and when I had to introduce kaijuu I was able to use some dollar store dinosaurs and old Trendmasters Godzilla toys.

You'd have to order bases, but you could also use small metal washers instead. It's cheaper, and a bit jankier, but not terrible.
>>
>mekton zeta
>as a wargame
How do you feel about clunk and a system you can break by staring at funny?
>>
>>54253603
>How do you feel about clunk and a system you can break by staring at funny?
I'll be making premade mechs for me and my group, so that should avoid any broken builds, right?
>>54253593
I'll look into those, thanks.
>>
>>54253796
It will, but it may drive you to insanity. MZ's mech creation system is crazy-deep and pretty spergy.
>>
>>54253833
I don't mind. I love homebrewing, I've just never done it with a RPG before, hence the thread. I'd rather have a system that's deeper than I'll ever need than a system that's too shallow, you know?
>>
>>54252328
Hi, it's me, I was the guy who a VERY LONG TIME AGO on /tg/ posted up a conversion of Mekton into a wargame I called South Seas Tactics (because of my original setting donut steel, the South Seas War, which was offbrand Front Mission)

I made quite a few tweaks - mostly replacing whatever the fuck the REF+Skill-Mech Mod thing for dodging and shooting was with "you buy a mech at either 3REF, 5REF or 7REF, and your to hit modifier is static." I also separated dodge and hit mods somehow, I forget how.

(e.g. if your mech had a -2 dodge modifier and you bought it at "Green" experience it would be +1 on its rolls, but at "Veteran" it would be +5)

I made shitloads of mech stat cards for offbrand Wanzers and Mobile Suits of various types, some really unbalanced ideas for air and naval support, and then realised it was a bit unwieldy anyway.

There were some top tier retarded designs I invented, and in the end it was all a bit "why wouldn't I just play a better wargame."
>>
>>54254659
The big problem was the exploding dice, crits and the way armour stacked. It meant you either spent ages plinking away one armour box at a time on something with armour 4 or 8, or you made an armour 2 mech that would explode the moment a gun of strength 6 or more looked at it funny.

And then you started making burst fire weapons or micromissiles and realised how retarded the full auto rules were, I seem to recall once you stacked enough ludicrously cheap micromissiles on a mech it could just through weight of dice modifiers oneshot fucking anything.
>>
>>54254697
So tl'dr, it works, it absolutely can be done if you stat mechs out beforehand (although the points system is not actually very well balanced once you start looking at more advanced stuff and especially beam weapons), but by that point you'd probably be better off for Gundam action playing Ganesha's Samurai Robot Battle Royale:

http://www.ganeshagames.net/index.php?cPath=1_11&osCsid=r0ifu8lan0d8m6jfmgabob37q1
>>
>>54254659
>>54254697
This info should come in handy, thanks. Do you still play it? If not, what do you play now instead? I bought Mekton Zeta because it seemed to be the closest thing to what I wanted, which was a way to emulate anime-styled Mobile Suit combat. I didn't see anything else that even attempted that.
>>
>>54254734
>http://www.ganeshagames.net/index.php?cPath=1_11&osCsid=r0ifu8lan0d8m6jfmgabob37q1
I'll check this out if Mekton Zeta doesn't work for what I'm trying to do. Thanks.
>>
>>54254738
For Gundam miniatures there's the Ganesha ruleset I linked in >>54254734 , or Jovian Chronicles (I think) http://dp9.com/downloads

I don't play the ruleset any more, for mech gaming I've changed to playing Heavy Gear (which is more on the AT/Landmate/Wanzer style of things anyway) or Horizon Wars, although that's a 6mm mass battle game inspired more by Battletech.

There was a kickstarter recently for a ruleset called WHISPER that looks like Armored Core/Gundam in miniatures form, armies involve 4 mobile suit type mechs and a bunch of tanks and infantry, and it's all about fast movement, leaping over buildings and beam saber shanking your enemies.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1671822853/whisper-mecha-miniatures-45-60mm
>>
>>54254818
Yeah, I saw WHISPER and it looked very cool. I also heard about Mekton Zero but I'm pretty skeptical about whether it's ever going to be released or not. Apparently one of the main pulls for it is it works with miniature wargaming natively.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.