[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finding a game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1451277992518.png (314KB, 600x738px) Image search: [Google]
1451277992518.png
314KB, 600x738px
So we've all heard the advice of "go to your local store and ask around", but what's the next step? How did you actually go about sitting down at a table and joining a group?

I have difficulty meeting new people but I'm really interested in playing RPG's so I'm just wondering how you guys found your current group(s). Bonus points for them being new people and not a college gaming club. My college gaming club was 90% mtg and 10% yugioh.

I have a really nice store with lots of players I see playing but how do I approach them? What's the etiquette? What if they don't accept new people?
>>
>>54239150
>how do I approach them? What's the etiquette? What if they don't accept new people?

Don't be a dick and learn to take rejection well. I mean, it's pretty damn simple.
>>
>>54239191
>don't be a dick
I'm afraid my problem is the opposite, but not much better in the end. I'm too shy and quiet. But I feel like this is something that could help me with that.
>>
>>54239215
Be confident. If you can't be confident, fake it until it sticks.
>>
File: Baldr004.jpg (80KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Baldr004.jpg
80KB, 1366x768px
>>
File: 1499463728147.jpg (389KB, 1600x1192px) Image search: [Google]
1499463728147.jpg
389KB, 1600x1192px
>>54239150
>So we've all heard the advice of "go to your local store and ask around", but what's the next step? How did you actually go about sitting down at a table and joining a group?

Just gather people and set a strict date. I use a discord group for mine and a facebook group for another. If you do people will remember it better "oh yea sunday I have a game night". Usually 2 weeks beforehand is good since it lets people have some prep time but its not too far away to be forgettable

notify people 3 days beforehand.

the biggest way to get a first session running is by being the DM, expect a lot of first-timers to drop after 1-3 sessions. don't be intimidated by this and just phase them out or use their characters to move the plot. Most games are killed because a single person doesn't want to play anymore and the DM just drops everything instead of looking for a new person or going on with the people left.

A friend of mine and me gathered like 5 people to play(IRL) curse of stradth that has been going on for 8 months now and I've recently started a campaign of myself around 3-4 months ago here on /tg/ by shilling my game and hosting a 1shot(afterwards just started doing my own thing) and its been going strong on a weekly basis with veterans and new players alike from the US & EU.

>TL;DR
>Ask local store/people/friends/forums//tg//about game
>Set strict date
>Remind people
>DM: Flexible with amount of players/drop outs
>Bonus: Be the DM
>>
>>54239150
Get your friends who aren't into tabletop to try it out.
>>
So my classmate (Codename: Mexico or CM for short) used to play D&D with his uncle as DM with his cousins before. Not all too long ago I wasn't interested in D&D but CM started talking about it with me and a couple of our friends.
The thing about my class is, that we were a bunch of weebs, gamers or nerds (or a mixture of those), so some of us were willing to try it out. We spent some time learning to build a character and made a date to play.
One person didn't show up at all, sadly but the rest of us got into it and just played.
We actually played today.

So in short, try talking your friends into it.

>A little confession, we have only played 3 sessions but I've already played as many characters because I just can't choose.
>>
>>54239150
There are usually flyers posted when there are new games opening up.

I don't like playing long af campaigns on a schedule, so I usually only play pickup games at conventions these days.
>>
>>54239811
I find it difficult to believe that anyone on this site has friends, let alone enough friends to set up a DnD game
>>
File: 34523452346523462436.gif (278KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
34523452346523462436.gif
278KB, 450x338px
>>54240164
>>
>>54240164
I'm in two, though we're currently under drama in one group because our group hasn't been coherent enough in-game and it's gotten to the point that our DM has considered dropping the group altogether.

Ironically enough I'm the guy he's had the least trouble, mostly wants me off my laptop and in the game.
>>
>>54240532
And yet so fucking true. No one here has friends or a life, we're all retarded baiting faggots with no sex life. We're /r9k/ but with dice.
>>
>>54240833
The one thing I'm gonna argue with you on this is that none of the demographic you're targetubg are faggots. Faggots get laid.
>>
>>54240833
We aren't. At least given the old /tg/ census, we're far more sociable than the fa/tg/uy stereotype, especially those of us who play tabletop games in real life.
>>
File: same.gif (2MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
same.gif
2MB, 426x240px
>>54240833
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.