[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Skirmish ruleset

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

Hello /tg/.
Seeing a lot of nice warband pictures these days, I've decided to write some relatively simple system to play skirmish games with 5-10 men warbands, to share here on /tg/.
I'm pondering rules and setting alike, and I've had this idea:
Models have individual dice pools representing their actions (d6), that refresh each round. When a model activates, it gets a free movement and then can spend its dice to make additional actions (including movement) and/or attack. Unspent dice may be used to parry enemy attacks.
An attack against a target that doesn't parry hits automatically; an attack against a parrying target requires attacker and target to roll the dice they're spending (they may spend more than one) and pick the best result, the attack hits if the attacker wins (a draw is in favour of the defender).
Normal minions would have just one die, elite minions up to two, heroes up to three.
As for wounding, another die is rolled: the attack will wound on 4+ or kill outright on a 6+ (it takes 2 wounds to kill a minion, more for heroes and monsters). Also, this roll gets +1 against smaller targets, +1 with great weapons, -1 against larger targets, and -1 against heavy armoured targets (all cumulable).

Model will be customizable with 'traits' representing special abilties or innate properties, like 'ambush', 'undying' or 'regeneration', for an extra price. These would be limited to one 'racial' trait plus one 'skill' trait maximum for minions, one extra for elite minions, and maybe more for heroes and monsters.

It's just a raw skeleton, but how does it look like to you for now?
>>
File: DSC_1472.jpg (1MB, 1920x1285px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1472.jpg
1MB, 1920x1285px
I'll shamelessly self-bump
>>
>>54232169
You know, that actually sounds cool, and really reminds me of the basic engine of the new warhammer quest games (the AoS ones; silver tower and shadows over hammerhal).

Basically heroes (1 per player) roll 4 dice when activated, and their cards represent what abilities they can do with certain dice rolls. Like the basic melee attack is always 1+, and the really good powers or attacks are 5+ or 6+, and a basic move is always 1+. You could spend your dice how ever you want, as long as it was at least the appropriate requirement. So even if you rolled four 1s, you could always do stuff, just not the good stuff.

I'd recommend checking out the rules for that game for some ideas. It's actually a pretty good game.
>>
>>54233807
Continuing, but I can see something like that working for small warbands games.

You activate a model, roll it's 4 dice, and do what it can do. Damage is represented by those dice too. When a hero takes a point of damage, they get reduced to 3 dice, to represent them getting weaker.

Of course in a skirmish game this may not work, as you want tougher and weaker guys, and more health should not necessarily represent more stuff they can do, so a basic HP system might be better.

Although a combo of hp and hero dice could work, like when the last 4hp starts getting removed, the dice do too.

I'm just spitballing here
>>
>>54233279
Add some pupils to that Daemon and it would've be one good looking motherfucker.
>>
>>54233807
>>54233891
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely give it a read and come back with more fleshed-out rules later.

>>54233929
Unfortunately these aren't mine. Anyway, I believe eyes without pupils could work for a nice inhuman look, but it would need some shading/blending other than plain white or it just looks the same as its teeth and nails.

Still I think it's pretty cool.
>>
How are you doing turns? Igougo? Alternating activations? How are you planning on dealing on the issues that each one brings (see malifaux discussion about activation advantage for info on the latter).

How will you make combat flow quickly? I'm going to bring up malifaux again but I do think it's one of the best skirmish systems out at the moment. Their mechanic for resolving opposed actions uses flips from a deck of cards with the option to "bid" higher with cards in hand. With your variable dice idea, I'm thinking a secret bidding system might be fun. Players could hide the dice theyre using in their hands and reveal them simultaneously, or you could do something similar to malifaux where an initial roll-off is made, and then players have an opportunity to bid more dice. The upside to malifaux's system is that it gives a very nice knob to give advantages and penalties - a core mechanic of that game is the fact that you can't bid higher if your model in the contest is at a disadvantage. I suppose what I mean to say is think of how your resolution mechanics will affect play. Do you want to reward manuever and setting up situations where a model has a situational advantage (cover, ganging up, etc). Do you want to reward smart resource management, in this case action dice, or hypotheticaly reward good bluffing skill. I guess keep it simple or keep it interesting. Superfluous dice rolling can kind of kill a game for me and if there's no point to it theres plenty of rules-light skirmish games out there.I would also consider using d10 instead of d6, just for granularity's sake.
>>
What would really take this project to the next level, I think, would be including rules for hacking the ruleset to adapt it to the user's preferences/fluff. If you haven't read any of malifaux's rules I'm going to recommend it again, it's a really tight ruleset that integrates mechanics in a holistic way that is pretty interesting, I think. Its main flaw as a game is its complexity, but it certainly could be a good place to mine for ideas. Your skeleton sounds interesting as a start but right now it seems too similar to mordheim/gw mechanics. I think the work to be done now is fleshing out and refining your core mechanics (and you really should get these as tight as you can - less is more), and then figure out how youre going to represent specific traits etc.
>>
File: 4countess.jpg (108KB, 820x759px) Image search: [Google]
4countess.jpg
108KB, 820x759px
>>54235875
>>54235890
OP here, thanks for the suggestions.

I'm thinking a system with alternate activations.
Maybe something like this:
>[ROUND BEGINS]
>Player A takes its first turn
>>During its turn, a player may have models perform actions up to a total worth of 3 dice
>Player B takes its first turn
>Player A takes its second turn
>Player B takes its second turn
[...]
The round ends when all models have run out of dice.
A model may be 'activated' in multiple turns as long as it has dice left. Some actions, like attacking, might be limited to 'once per activation', but would still be usable multiple times per round, just in different turns.

Meanwhile, dice that a model hasn't spent yet can be used to parry attacks and maybe for other response actions as well (like counterspells).

In order to make this work though I guess every model should have at least two dice, contrarily to what I stated here >>54232169. Instead of a free movement as the model is activated, I guess I could go with:
>A model may spend one die to move up to its Speed
>A model that spends one die to make any action that isn't moving also gets to move 2'' beforehand for free

>>54235890
>What would really take this project to the next level, I think, would be including rules for hacking the ruleset to adapt it to the user's preferences/fluff.
That's my idea. I want to make a simple basic system with a list of 'traits' and equipments and relative costs, so that it can be adapted for any type of warband.

I want basic rules to be really simple, though, so that the game is easy to pick up.
>>
>>54236386
Inspirational bump
>>
File: 7190e1559d94c7d6109ea4e360629b90.jpg (523KB, 1444x1100px) Image search: [Google]
7190e1559d94c7d6109ea4e360629b90.jpg
523KB, 1444x1100px
>>54233929
>Not recognizing Zoddo.
I'm so fucking disapointed in you, I can't simply put it into words.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.