[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tips for a Dungeon!!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

so its the two year anniversary of my campaign and i want to do something special of re making the practice dungeon i made for my first ever game.

I've done lots of stuff in terms of linear story but i haven't done anything dungeon focused since.

I've got the idea you'll need
- enemies
- traps
- puzzles
- ominous and immersive environment

What else can i add? maybe whats something essential thats a must have in a dungeon? whats some tips, like make it vertical or make it last in game days so you can ambush them at camp?

part of my worry is ill wear them down too much and they'll tsk at the first hard enemy group.

anything would be really appreciated.

>inb4 d&d

nah were playing fantasy craft, but system doesn't matter at all.
>>
bump for anon
>>
secret passageways, hidden vaults, multiple monster factions that are hostile to each other?
>>
inb4 osr
>>
>>54230951
A good dungeon should have a layout that can be readily intuited, with subversion of that layout present more and more the deeper you delve.
>whats this burrow doing in a crypt?
>Who dragged all these skeletons in to this pyraimid?
>Why did the runes on the walls of this abandoned stronghold go from dwarven to illithid?
>>
>>54230951
complicated environment

Most dungeons have flat levels, sometimes with holes in teh floors of some kind, but they rarely deviate from that; so you should deviate from that. Have passages than angle up and down, have chutes and shafts that connect levels (maybe even elevators?) some of which should skip some levels (so the party might need to go up/down several different shafts to get somewhere), have walls/doors/ceilings/floors broken or breakable so that the party can find or make shortcuts, put rubble/slick blood or oil/high-piled trash or something like that in various places to make it hard to maneuver in combat, have boulders or broken pillars so that high-ground or jumping from place to place in battle can happen, have plenty of places to climb or balance on, put in a submerged or partially submerged area possibly with some ability to affect the flow or level of the water and maybe make some of the water murky or otherwise difficult to see in, make most of the dungeon pitch fucking black so that the ability to see is something the party has to think about, don't be shy about locks and traps (the keys/bypass mechanisms/triggers should be somewhere or you should know why they're not present if they're not), put in an overpowering enemy that must be avoided (or possibly directed at enemies) so that they'll make use of those abilities that rarely get used (like hold portal), don't be afraid to have enemies attack during the worst possible conditions for the party (like sharks in pitch black strong-current water halfway through a submerged portion of the dungeon, or climbing/flying monsters halfway down a loooooon shaft, or a big monster that grapples and throws people off the edge of a cliff or into a pit of acid), put in ambient life (rats, bats, insects, webs, vines, etc) that can be interacted with via the correct spells for info or utility, put in some areas where the party must squeeze or crawl (or even shapeshift into something tiny) to get thru
>>
>>54234742
with this I'm imagining some kind of post apocalyptic abandoned junk factory
>>
For those looking for dungeon concepts, i always use art station and look for temples.

https://www.artstation.com/search?sorting=recent&q=temple%20entrance

im sure some people are lurking and stealing ideas
>>
>>54236545
well, yeah
dungeons in D&D aren't just regular shit like castles you know
>>
>>54237173
not saying it was a bad thing, i love the idea
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.