[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Inspiration for running a Dark Heresy game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1492362744625.png (2MB, 719x937px) Image search: [Google]
1492362744625.png
2MB, 719x937px
About to run a game of Dark Heresy 1e, need some inspiration for it.
What books, films do you draw from for playing dark heresy?
Also a 40k art thread.
>>
Let's go ahead and get Event Horizon out of the way. BBC's Utopia for pacing, sense of dread, and four new people being confronted with radicalism while being chased by an organization they don't understand. True Detective s1 for some of that and hints of the supernatural. Finch by Jeff Vandermeer for anachronistic tech, alien ideologies, and a very human protagonist trying to live amongst all of it. Neuromancer for some tech priesting and societal structuring.

Things I try to capture with Dark Heresy is that things are big, the universe is big, the scope of worlds and cultures tech levels is huge, and early PCs don't know that much. Threats could be supernatural or an ambitious politician trading in alien tech-it's not always Lovecraft. Your adventure could be as small and fueled by poor communication like Fargo or a world ending prophecy. Keeping your PCs wondering about where the investigation falls thru different worlds and casts of characters up until the "click" is one of the best things about the game.
>>
>>54229075
Why the fuck are you running 1e
>>
>>54232285

probably because it captures the true feel of 40k
>>
>>54232285
Because balance issues aside its just plain better. The game is complicated as is, and 2e just makes things even moreso. Ideally Id play a totally different game.
>>
>>54229075

Thallax are so cool. I wish there was more art of them.
>>
>>54232285
Coming out of a wfrp campaign and 1e is more similar system wise. I also dislike the abstract currency of later editions.

So what tips do you guys have? Any more sources of inspiration? Haven't really played dark heresy before, only a bit of black crusade.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.