[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you handle larger-scale war sequences, the sort where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: art-43.jpg (87KB, 615x615px) Image search: [Google]
art-43.jpg
87KB, 615x615px
How do you handle larger-scale war sequences, the sort where player party is just a small part of the battle yet will probably end up being pivotal to their side's victory?

Do you have some special rules or something for them?
>>
>>54214822
Just base the war effort on the scale of the party success.

Did they come through with one or two minor wounds and huge ego boosts? ARmy did too. If they did prep-work beyond the war sequence, factor in how clever and thorough it was. Scale it to the relative force strengths involved - a city state vs an empire with the party giving and rolling 100% is still going to be a messy fight. The city state will be a ruin, even though they won.
>>
>>54214822

I have a set of rules that let me move large groups of pieces individually but allows me to make a single attack roll for them and assign them a single defense stat/health bar. If you properly size the type of piece used in the groups result is a pretty cinematic clash of armies where players still have full freedom to play normally and can still make huge, meaningful plays.
>>
>>54214822
If there are no rules for it in the system, then just narratively.
>>
Not exactly what you're looking for, but quite helpful nonetheless: https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/05/osr-medieval-stalemate-simulator-or-six.html?m=1
>>
>>54214822
Barbarians of Lemuria (Mythic) has a handy little system that could be easily ported to other games.

Basically different battle objectives give you points toward victory. You need a certain number of victory points to win the day. You need more or less depending on how the two opposing forces line up (ie, the underdog needs to make up more victory points by doing stuff like assassinating enemy generals and so forth).
>>
>>54214822
In one of our campaigns we switched to kings of war for the big battles.

Worked well but it was a D&D campaign so we wanted to get back to D&D after a few sessions.
>>
>>54215464
This

The exact same way the party is just a small part of the overall quest to save the world from the Big Bad Adversary in the setting yet can rise from a ragtag group of lowly adventurers to saviors.
>>
File: 1496193968739.jpg (274KB, 773x425px) Image search: [Google]
1496193968739.jpg
274KB, 773x425px
>>54214822
I play 3.5 and just make each party member in charge of a unit, all units are level 2 fighters.

If heroes run off solo I describe their attacks as landing on enemy units and they see people injured and mad but if they fight using their unit then damage equals dead soldiers 1-1

Works decently
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.