[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shared cyberpunk Universe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: 1357061864404.jpg (319KB, 1600x2163px) Image search: [Google]
1357061864404.jpg
319KB, 1600x2163px
How do you think it would be possible to have multiple RPG parties share the same world?

I have this idea about possibly gathering up a few GMs and having all of them run cyberpunk games within same world that has loosely defined common setting,they could use any rulesets they prefer.

Their actions would have impact on that world and would affect each other to lesser or greater extent. I would periodically create some plot hooks, write news reports based on what their parties did and how it affected the world/city where they operate and update how different faction fare.

This is something that I have at the very earliest stages of planning, but I find the idea interesting I want to hear what /tg/ has to say.

My main worries:
1. Passage of time (different groups might run their games at different speeds, some might want to spend a session on a 1-hour combat, while another group might spend a session for a month of downtime upgrading their weapons, etc). I was thinking about possibly introducing a common loosely defined time scale, but I am not sure what would it be.
2. Two or more groups simultaneously deciding to use a key feature of the world or pursue the same plothook
3. Power levels of groups - some GMs might want to reward their groups greatly for minor things, while other will keep it gritty and realistic

Overall, I am excited about the idea, but it sounds like a really complicated thing to do. I think I could easily manage 5 parties, 10 would be a challenge and 20 would be pushing it, but I am trying to devise a framework that would make it all worth it.

I am also wondering whether your average GM wll be interested in this, because this has both advantages:
+you get to share a living world
+your actions matter to others
+scheming/politics gain a whole new complexity level
+you can become part of small rpg community if you wish

cont.
>>
>>54213996
...and disadvantages:
-if your group goes on hiatus for some time, world will change a lot in the meantime
-you will not have 100% control of your world
-you might have trouble incorporating more outlandish cyberpunk settings (for example Shadowrun, which while awesome, is hard to easily combine with others)

Any thoughts?
>>
>>54213996
Each group ia actually hitmen for a certain megacorp.
DM are the Mr Johnsons of those Megacorp.
DMs are in for working together and against each other for the control kf the grid.

Nevermind it's a retarded idea.
>>
>>54214061
Yeah, that could actually work. Different factions would have different power levels and depending on who got hit, they could rise or fall. This would also be connected to the in-game stock market, thought I have not yet figured out how I want that to be incorporated, but I guess some players could make a killing by buying stocks of a corp and then destroying their rivals.
>>
File: 1430936087439.jpg (4MB, 3533x1854px) Image search: [Google]
1430936087439.jpg
4MB, 3533x1854px
>>54213996
For reference, in reddit they have /r/Runnerhub and /r/ShadowNet, two different living campaign for shadowrun, I'll paste the blurbs:
>Runnerhub is an online "living world," essentially a giant home game with multiple GMs and an international gathering of players.
>To make a long story short, ShadowNET is a Reddit-based Shadowrun living campaign; Redditors create characters for Shadowrun Fifth Edition, apply to “jobs” (games) as their characters, and are picked by the Game Masters to fill a complementary team for the game. Just as no two games on ShadowNET are the same, no two compositions of teams will be the same, mimicking the freelance nature portrayed in the lore of the core books and giving Redditors the chance to play with many different people while (role)playing the Shadowrun setting.
>>
File: 1458033930095.jpg (125KB, 662x935px) Image search: [Google]
1458033930095.jpg
125KB, 662x935px
>>54214462
Another reference would be The West Marches campaign. Although in this case it is multigroup single GM setup, but I see no reason why this wouldn't be able to adapt to others.
Reference link on west marches:
http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/
>>
What might help is a very rough timeline of like a year to two years, with certain benchmark events that will happen no matter what, but can be heavily effected by the players actions. That way, desperate time passage might not he a problem, because all of the gms have certain markers to work towards. I think some kinds of tentpoles like that would help.
>>
Oh, might I add, that's a really fucking cool idea and i wish i knew enough gamers to he a part of some shit like that.
>>
>>54214462
>>54214541
Thanks for this, I'll need to look into these, on the fly they look like quite awesome ideas.
>>54214558
This is actually an idea I was thinking about, thanks for supporting it, however it kind of cuts into a couple of aspects of the game I wanted(time permitting to include:

1. I want to have quarterly update World Almanac which has short descriptions of locations and factions. So far example in the basic description Lagos might have following as places of interest:
1. Central HQ of Hope Inc.
2. Biggest black market in the sub-Saharan Africa
3. Newly opened museum of novo-Afro art
(obviously the list might be 10-20 items + short descriptions)

Then after I get info that players raided the museum, another party stole something from the Hope HQ and third party established themselves as key traders in the black market, Almanac entries would sound something like this:

1. Heavily fortified central HQ of Hope Inc.
2. Biggest black market in the sub-Saharan Africa, controlled by Red Shadows [PG-11] (player group 11), any actions related to this area need to be approved by HotttChix[GM-11]
3. Abandoned, partially destroyed former museum of novo-Afro art, occupied by squatters
>>
>>54214645
Another idea that sort of clashes with this is weekly/bimonthly/whatever news and stockmarket updates, but I guess you must make sacrifices
>>
File: 1280431103270.jpg (101KB, 473x709px) Image search: [Google]
1280431103270.jpg
101KB, 473x709px
I think this sounds like an interesting idea in general, but I am not sure about the implementation. Maybe try creating common forum/pbem framework for that?
>>
File: cyberpunk80.jpg (191KB, 1100x563px) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk80.jpg
191KB, 1100x563px
>>54214645
Yeah, i was just about to suggest a setting "world doc", and I'd suggest GMs keep a small log or set of session notes that other GMs can see - so everyone has a rough idea what's going on - GM 2 knows that PG-5 raided several banks in the LA metroplex, and can thus know that if his group go to LA people, especially banks, will be on edge (he doesn't need to know how or why PG-5 were raiding though)
>>
>>54213996
Have a shared word docs for GMs, or something like that. Agree on a system / setting.

It works fine. Just try to avoid having the parties run into each other directly.
>>
>>54216500
Though that could be interesting, don't you think? If there would be a way for them to cooperate/compete somehow.
>>
File: 1280341885801.jpg (285KB, 1131x1626px) Image search: [Google]
1280341885801.jpg
285KB, 1131x1626px
bump for interest
>>
>>54214192
No, >>54214061 is right.
>DM A goes first.
>My corp wins because I'm the DM.

This is an over simplification, but making DMs play against each other when you are trying to maintain a type of harmony for what is cannon in the setting feels contradictory.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.