[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would /tg/ design a lightweight RPG dice system similar to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: gns01_dice_names.png (164KB, 700x423px) Image search: [Google]
gns01_dice_names.png
164KB, 700x423px
How would /tg/ design a lightweight RPG dice system similar to FFG's Star Wars/Genesys using only D6's?

I really like the narrative dice from Edge Of The Empire, etc. But the combat and skills are a little too crunchy, and the proprietary dice are expensive. Blank D6's are cheap, easy to find, and available in many colors/sizes, so that seems like the ideal choice for a homebrew dice system.
>>
>>54213408
Only D6?
I'd use GURPS Lite.
>>
File: icons.png (109KB, 2126x2126px) Image search: [Google]
icons.png
109KB, 2126x2126px
>>54213408
Also, thoughts on these icons/names?

>>54213624
I'm wanting something like the narrative dice system in FFG star wars. Basically, every roll has a success/failure axis and a threat/advantage axis. So you can "succeed with a bonus", "succeed with a cost", "fail with bonus", or "fail with cost". You roll a dice pool of good/bad dice, count up positive/negative icons, and that's your result.

One Roll Engine is kinda similar, but with a D10 pool, and more math.
>>
>>54213408
>combat and skills are too crunchy
wot
>>
For the design process, you probably still want to assess results as numbers (i.e. a luck is +1, a trouble is -1), if for nothing else so you can "balance" your dice and the results in a way that makes attempting actions not crippling.
>>
>>54213408
There are rules for using normal dice instead of the fancy ones, you know.
>>
File: image.png (18KB, 197x256px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
18KB, 197x256px
>>54213738
Well you've got so far looks perfectly workable. I'm not sure what to add.

>"Good Dice"
>6 success & a bonus
>5-4 Success
>3-2 bonus
>1 nothing

>"Bad Dice"
6 failure and tragedy
5-4 failure
3-2 Tragedy
1 Nothing

So yeah that works I guess. How many special effects do you want to add?

One Roll Engine is kinda similar, but with a D10 pool, and more math.

I can see the similarities but ORE still uses a binary success and failure. It's just you interpret the dice roll one way to work out damage and another for accuracy.

It gets quite a bit more complicated than that. But you're not dealing with secondary effects for the most part. Higher and wider results are always better.
>>
>>54213408
Only d6s?

Then you might have use for something akin to Don't Rest Your Head.

You have 2 kinds of dice, negative and positive.

1-3 are successes / failures, and 4-6 are ignored except for the highest die. The highest die denotes the advantage and threat. If the highest dice are equal (both sides have 6 for example), you go one step down. If the last die after going this way is 3 or under, it's a triumph/despair.

Should be focused on rolling about 4-6 dice at a time, no more.

Rolling 3 positive and 2 negative dice:

POS: 1 4 3
NEG: 6 2

= 2-1 successes and threat.
>>
>>54214249

>Then you might have use for something akin to Don't Rest Your Head.
>You have 2 kinds of dice, negative and positive.

Don't rest your head has four different dice to be exact. All d6s.

Disciplined dice. Representing skill and discipline. In another words the "good" dice.

Madness Dice. Representing your occult abilities and knowledge.

Exhaustion Dice. Representing your Endurance and physical and mental exertion

Pain Dice. Rolled by the GM representing your external challenges.

Discipline can only help you help. But exhaustion and madness dice are double edge swords. If you roll1-3 they count as a successes. But if they dominate they push you closer to exhaustion and insanity
>>
>>54213882
>>54214422

Hm, the FFG system has 6 dice (3 good, 3 bad). Which gives a nice bit of flexibility for skills, as well as situational bonuses/penalties. The main problem is how to convert the d8s and d12s into d6s.

The "big" d12 good/bad dice are the only ones that feature crit success/fail icons. Normally, this is only a 1-in-12 chance. I guess the easiest solution is just to make it more difficult to upgrade your skills and get the big dice.
>>
>>54214422
That's why I said something akin to DRYH. The 1-3 success and highest die being the connection point.

There's no point in connecting to too many different dice types if the same effect can be realized in a streamlined 2-die-type system (as simplifying the system seemed to be the point here).

Of course, having additional dice types is possible, but I was only suggesting the simplest alternative to get the advantage / threat system with strictly d6s. You can have dice that only count pos/neg in counting the highest die, or ones that count only successes / failures.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.