[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 30

File: Dungeon_dragon.jpg (394KB, 1317x1012px) Image search: [Google]
Dungeon_dragon.jpg
394KB, 1317x1012px
>Unearthed Arcana: Revised Class Options:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
>>54201413

Any good modules for a 5th level party?
>>
File: don_quixote_by_leventep.jpg (607KB, 1160x560px) Image search: [Google]
don_quixote_by_leventep.jpg
607KB, 1160x560px
>>54206999
>>54207061

Wait, even better: be a Fighter and select the Purple Dragon Knight but fluff it so that you're not actually a member of the PDKs, you just idolize them. Take the Noble background and the Knight variant.

Put your WORST SCORES in Wisdom, Strength, and Dexterity (wisdom MUST be worst) but your BEST scores in Intelligence and Charisma.

Fluff yourself as an old man who had actually never picked up a sword nor fought anyone in his life before, but rather lived a rather quiet life in Greenest...but read great books about the heroes of the Forgotten Realms from ages long past. The coming of the Cult to Greenest somehow at once broke your sanity and clarified it, and you conceived of the strangest project ever imagined: to become a knight-errant, to sally forth into the world in search of adventure! To write all wrongs, to mount a crusade, to raise up the weak and those in need!

No longer would you be plain Alonso Quijana, but a dauntless knight, known as...

DON QUIXOTE DE LA MANCHA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osvdGAD0z5c

No, but seriously, it is my dream to one day play Don Quixote in a D&D game.
>>
>>54207342
Whoa. On that note I think I just stumbled across an even better version of "I am I, Don Quixote" than any of the official versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yozyd_lqTXw

Christ, Scott Bakula can sing.
>>
Planning to go swashbuckler for the first 4 lvls then fiendlock dip for the next 4

What level should I retrain fiendish vigor?
>>
Reposting from other thread: Can you guys help me out with hiding during combat? Hiding counts as an action meaning that (unless you're a rogue) you can't attack then hide right away correct? Also, let's say a PC is fighting a monster and the monster is completely aware of him. The PC would have to break line of sight and THEN hide correct? Like running behind a pillar wouldn't count as hiding because the monster saw the PC run behind the pillar since there was no breaking of line of sight. Am I using these rules correctly?
>>
>>54207436
Until you use the hide action, everybody knows your position on the map even without line of sight.
>>
>>54207436

Hiding is completely up to DM discretion. For instance, in your pillar description, is the monster intelligent? Does it have heightened senses? Your DM could play it that you hide behind the pillar, then it comes and looks but you scoot three feet to the side and it misses you. Or your DM could play it that you hide behind a pillar, but the beast can still smell you clearly. Hiding is about 90% DM fiat, so it's unreliable.
>>
>>54207436
I believe so.

In later example: If character runs behing a pillar, he is not hidden, but in my opinion can attempt to hide next turn, with no problem. It probably doesn't mean he's just standing behind pillar, but rather possibly hiding behind some other obstace or carefully maintaining pillar between himself and his pursuer.

I think.
>>
So, I've finally finished my character sheet for my newest character.

He's a Goblin Wererat Rogue, but will be a Swashbuckler. My question to you guys is, as a DM, would you allow such a character?

All that has really been added from Wererat is the ability to Shapechange into the Half-State or a Giant Rat as an action, a bite attack and "Keen Smell", which adds advantage on Perception checks that rely on smell. (I also already have a negative modifier on Wisdom.)
>>
File: Rpg_2283fb_5364580.jpg (81KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
Rpg_2283fb_5364580.jpg
81KB, 500x400px
So Im 5th level paladin, thinking I'll stop at 6th and multiclass, only question is that I'm unsure if i want to go bard or warlock.
>>
>>54207622

Probably, but I might ask about the character and why specifically a wererat. Just to get a sense of what he's about and how he may or may not fit in with the group.
>>
>>54207660
Sorcerer is your best bet.
Bard and warlock work too, but they're best used for a small splash of bard/warlock for shillelagh and then rest of the levels in paladin.

Also going paladin to 11 is great for two more auras and improved divine smite.
>>
>>54207622
I would heavily try to dissuade you from such character, because neither goblin nor wererat are supposed to be good guys.
>>
>>54207740
Our party mostly needs the utility so I was leaning bard, and going order of whispers as it would fit the way my character thinks.

All sorcerer gives is those sorcery points what do you really get?
>>
>>54207781
Oh, just for a bit of detail, this would be for an "Evil" Campaign.
>>
>>54207797
if it's evil then it seems fine by me.
>>
>>54207792
>All sorcerer gives is those sorcery points what do you really get?
Twinned booming blade or quickened booming blade / green flame blade.
Works better if you don't have PAM.
You can then also convert spell slots for more sorcerery points for more quickened/twinned BB/GFBs.

If your party just needs magical utility, ritual caster (wizard) should be able to do some of that. If you need non-out-of-combat utility, more levels of paladin gets you stuff like aura of vitality.

I guess you could go for bard and pick up shillelagh at level 6 in that though. It has good skill utility if you don't have a rogue.
>>
>>54207832
yeah we lost our rouge so it was the skills we need. but I also like having the mantle of whispers and stuff and adding venom blades stacked on my smites would be fun
>>
>>54207425
>retrain fiendish vigor?
>a pirate
>Retraining the Invocations that turns rum into health potions

For shame
>>
>That feel when quickened spell

Even quickening cantrips is fucking retardedly overpowered as fuck. Like, holy fucking shit, I'm Booming Blading this stupid fucking asshole for basically free. Holy shit, this guy is absolutely fucking dead from 2d8+3 at level 5, what the fuck
>>
>>54207929
Still sounds like lore bard would be better for +3 skills and cutting words being brilliant but eh
I can't recall but there might be some synergy in one of those non-valor melee bards

Though I'd take cutting words over dealing a bit of extra poison damage any day
>>
>>54207948
Quicken Action Surge EB is 6d10+30.
>>
File: 1490933681675.png (156KB, 342x276px) Image search: [Google]
1490933681675.png
156KB, 342x276px
>>54207948
>He thinks Sorcerer is OP
Really makes you think
>>
>>54207660
Warlock.
At level 1you get
>Short Rest Smite Slots
>Eldritch Blast cantrip (as a Paladin, your number 1 weakness is range) and Hex
>SCAG cantrips, like Booming blade
>Levels 2
Invocations
>Level 3
Either ritual cast all rituals in the game, including familiar, and acquire both the guidance and the Shillelagh cantrip
Or
Get a pretty baller sword
And
Level 2 smites on a short rest

And on top of that, enjoy subclass features ah lá carte
>>
Any of you want to help me with deciding on possibly multiclassing a character?
>>
Is there a better combo than paladin/warlock?
>>
>>54208028
should i only dip 3 levels or go all in with the warlock?
>>
>>54207622
Wererat also adds in the immunity to all nonmagical / nonsilvered weapons. I might allow it if it fits the game I was running, but probably nerf your character in some way so that it balances out and you are not overpowered in comparison to other characters in the party.
>>
>>54208024
Sorcerer is definitely fun
>>
>>54208076
Oh, I didn't even notice that. Damn. In any case, I'd be fine with those resistances being removed entirely, for one reason or another. Appreciate you pointing that out.
>>
>>54208024

Nigga, quickening shit is intense as fuck. It's like I'm taking five rounds in two rounds. It's fucking crazy. I'm dealing so much fucking damage. My LITERALLY 8 int character has become the party leader because I FUCKING KILL EVERYTHING.
>>
>>54208070
Dip no more than 3
>>
>>54208028
don't downplay chain, it's strictly better than the regular version of familiar
>>
>>54208118
So you can cast one normal spell and a cantrip or two cantrips in one turn (Level/2) times a long rest. Big fucking deal? You could have also used those points to get more spell slots instead or something, but no, you wanted to cast some cantrip again.
Outside of that, you're a worse wizard.

It's powerful with agonizing-repelling-slowing eldritch blast, yes, but that's multiclassing bullshit.
It's pretty okay with GFB/BB but you're not really a proper melee combatant anyway and you'll be turned to paste if an enemy wishes it.
>>
>>54208145
>A short dip in a class that uses the exact same stats as your base class and thematically fits 100% is "muticlassing bullshit"
>>
>>54208168
>A dip into warlock makes you better than any other warlock at the same level at the thing warlocks are supposed to be good at
>>
>>54208145

I've only been playing D&D for two years, all of it 5e. Playing a Wizard was the single worst experience with the game I've ever had. They literally can't do anything. But now, now I can nova, unlike a paladin, I'm not reliant on crits. I can cast, and cast again, and utterly devastate a battlefield. My last session, it was my party versus one vampire spawn, seven acolytes and a souped up acolyte. In two rounds, two rounds! I slaughtered six of the acolytes and their leader. The remaining acolyte was killed by ally fire and the vampire spawn got focus fired like a chump. It was exhilarating! Two quickened Thunderwaves cleared the vast majority of the fight! The power, the rush! You would downplay it?! The only thing that comes close was when I was a Cleric concentrating on Spirit Guardians with an ally Fly on me literally strafing above enemies.
>>
Is there a Mega for older editions?
>>
>>54208206
It's good to see you're having fun but we exist here to crush your fun, and the longer you stay the more you'll realize the truth.

Firstly, when you quickened thunderwave, what did you do with your action?
>>
>>54208206
>[Wizards] literally can't do anything.
A well-played Wizard can literally do everything.
>>
>>54208063
it's certainly the most fun in terms of potential builds/fluff and strikes a good balance in terms of effectiveness

but that's more because of how limited most other classes and builds are in this game
>>
>>54208220
Check the OSR Mega Trove or the Dnd rem/uz or wherever it's called.
>>
Any ideas of what to do with a 5th level party on the Sword Coast?
>>
>>54208024
But paladin 2/Sorcerer X is op
>>
>>54208242

Discover a nefarious plot to draw surrounding nations into war and sell them arms and armor for massive armor, which is only a cover for the real plot, wherein a demigod of murder will use the resulting slaughter to fuel his ascendance and claim his father's power?
>>
>>54208248
It's good, but I wouldn't call it OP.
Merely a sidegrade.
>>
>>54208206
>They literally can't do anything
They have the most versatility as long as you know what you are doing and what spells to pick. For example if you are picking no rituals and a bunch of strong concentration spells, you aren't going to be doing fuck all except concentrating on a spell and casting cantrips
>>
I've a Goliath Paladin who really, really wants an Allosaurus Find Steed mount.

I've been thinking about making it a bit of a quest to 1. Find an allosaurus. This will be difficult, since there are none on their current continent and would require them travel to one of the "lost world" islands which are difficult to find and gene then they'd have to track it.

2. Have the paladin somehow befriend the beast. Hard to say how this will work but I'll leave the options open to see what the player come say up with.

3. Conduct some type of ritual that'll turn the Allosaurus into a celestial find Steed mount. Again, not sure on details for this specifically. Maybe the Paladin requires permission from some kind of celestial being such as a Deva for this to happen?

Is this a good idea? An allosaurus is better than a warhorse, but I've played with this player for a long time and fully trust them to not abuse the power. And with the party at level 10 going into n to 11 it doesn't seem like it'd be drastically overpowering.
>>
>>54208248
>Multiclass is OP
Breaking news!
>>
>>54208206
>Two quickened Thunderwaves
Anon, I...
>>
>>54208279
Just use a downgraded allosaurus until later it gets an upgrade.
>>
>>54208242
Kidnap some short quests from something else. Storm King's Thunder has a lot of adventurous stuff in chapter 3.

"The Sacred Stone Monastery" or "The Long Road" from Princes of the Apocalypse could work, if you wanted.

Those are just from published things. I'm sure you could get more if you needed.
>>
>>54208289
Either he thinks you can cast two spells in the same turn, he's doing booming blade + thunderwave which doesn't work or he seems to think that a cantrip+spell is a big deal somehow.
>>
So I'm playing a 10th level gunslinger fighter (the variant made by Mercer) who is becoming the champion of a death goddess (more taking care of the souls and the repository of knowledge than anything else) and I'm trying to decide between just continuing on as a fighter or taking a dip into either cleric (likely war with the proficiencies changed to that of knowledge with the DM selecting them for me), paladin (probably not enough for an oath but maybe vengeance or crown), or warlock (probably a variant of celestial or undying light patron). If it's relevant my current stats in order are 13, 20, 14, 15, 18, 13.

Part of my issue with dipping is that I want higher level fighter features and it doesn't quite fit the character since he's spent his life as a mercenary, acting as little more than a sword, and his parents were both casters (forge cleric and a gunslinger ranger, my DM allows rangers to take the archetype) which led to him trying and failing to use it himself.
>>
>>54208224

You see, that's where you're wrong. You are confusing your role as a part of /tg/ with your role in 4chan as a whole. And I guarantee you, I've been on 4chan longer than 95% of the posters here have been.

As for my action, it was over three rounds. First round I ran up, cast Guiding Bolt, missed, then bonus actioned Tempestuous Magic for ten more feet of movement. Second round was Booming Blade, 2d8+3 damage, instantly killing an acolyte, then quickened level 3 Thunderwave to kill three more acolytes. Third round was quickened level 3 Thunderwave to kill the leader and two more acolytes, then Sacred Flame on the vampire spawn, who succeeded on his save. Overall, I won the fight 80% singlehandedly. Not that I had wanted to, but it makes me giddy that I had.

>>54208235

I literally shat myself with utility, but I could do literally nothing. I could blame it on shitty DM, but I feel that's a copout. Wizards are memes.

>>54208277

Their versatility is dependent completely on the setting. No matter what the DM threw at me, no matter how prepared I was, I couldn't handle it, while six or seven rounds of the attack action from our martials could. I was helpless. I didn't have enough spell slots to shield for five rounds of combat every combat. There was nothing I could do.

>>54208289

What's wrong with quickening Thunderwave one round, then quickening it another round?

>>54208343

It IS a big deal, in my two years of playing 5e, I have not done this level of damage save for the scarce times I've critted as a paladin. I'm at literally shitting damage levels. It's completely insane.
>>
How do you go about saying specific words in a language? Say you wanted to tell a player that the command word is the dwarven word for "Burn" would you just say the command word is the dwarven word for burn? Just come up with a random word?
>>
>>54208385
>What's wrong with quickening Thunderwave one round, then quickening it another round?

>DM doesn't follow 6-8 encounters guidelines, caster is OP!
Who would have know?
>>
File: Battle Arena.jpg (96KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
Battle Arena.jpg
96KB, 736x736px
How do you guys handle betting for Fighting Pits, Coliseums, or Battle Arenas?
>>
>>54208417

That was the first session of the night, I had 0 spell slots for the "boss" session of the night, so I cantripped it for the final boss. Our Warlock had full spell slots however, so he Feared half the giants and made them run away, turning a completely deadly encounter into a mildly challenging one.

But yeah, you're right, your completely faggoty way of playing the game is the absolute way to play it, and there is no need for variation or thought in theorycraft, just compliance. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>54208385
Our role isn't really to crush your fun, but that's what will happen when you come to realize the truth.

The truth is, if you run 5e the way it's supposed to be run, all classes should feel great with a good DM.
If the game is run the way it's supposed to be run with a bad DM, some classes such as the sorcerer will feel lackluster.
If you run the game in the wrong way with a bad DM, you get shit like the wizard doing nothing because the DM insists on 7 round combat with nothing but 'attack'.

So let's start with the damage. You can do at levels 1-4 1d8+3 damage with booming blade without having to make yourself MAD with a slight possible extra 1d8 and you can do 2d8 in a small area with thunderwave.
That's great for some level 1 encounters, I guess.
But until level 4 you can only really quicken one spell. A day. Unless you waste more spell slots.
And it still costs you spell slots.

Once you hit level 5 you get fireball which completely overshadows your thunderwave damage. It does four times as much damage.
And you can't cast two fireballs at once.
And the wizard can cast fireball too, on top of their 'shitting themselves with utility'. But at least booming blade does +1d8.

But, anyway, here's the big thing:
You only get so many spells every long rest.
In a proper game, you don't rest constantly.
The fighter can do 2d6+26 damage without action surge at will or 3d6+39 with it every short rest, yet once you expend your slots you can't even do rituals.
>>
People talk about paladin/warlock where you dip into one class and go all the way in another, but can a more proper hybrid work where each class has a pretty large investment?

As a real character I mean, not "you can do this cool thing at level 20" charop nonsense
>>
>>54208457
>>54208385
I.. I feel my post is pretty incoherent but maybe I'll polish it up more with your response, but, essentially:

Sorcerer is like wizard but shittier, but can twin spells/cast spells a bit faster. That's it. Wizard is great for all their utility that helps in the many non-combat encounters. Sorceresr get little of that.
Sorcerer generally feels like it plays well for new players because nobody who starts on a wizard realizes what they can do.
So when you see someone say 'sorcerer is great!' it feels like they're not really playing as the system intended.
>>
>>54208449
>Go fuck yourself.
Literally no arguments, so he must call others faggot
>>
>>54208457
Whoops, I meant a fighter at level 4 can do 2d6+26 at-will with a total of +2 to hit.
>>
>>54208385
Look I am absolutely the biggest sorcerer fanboy, but they are not that strong. They have shit amounts of spells to choose from, get shit amounts of them compared to the wizard knowing every fucking spell and every ritual under the son. Sorcerer uses its Sorcerer points a fuck load in their class abilities so going around twining everything or quickening shit isn't economical. Now what the Sorcerer can do, that Wizards can't is cool shit like twinning Haste and making your martials go berserk, or twinning things like Blight and fucking things up.
>>
>>54208449
Right, so, you're a player who only feels powerful if he gets massive burst such as with paladin critsmites and gets to roll a lot of damage in a turn, but doesn't care if it fucks them over in the long run.

I'd recommend trying paladin2/sorcererX, it sounds right up your ally.
>>
I've actually been inspired to rip off the Amonkhet setting for the desert area I hadn't done anything for in my setting. Going to make it ruled over by their Gods who are actually just powerful Liches doing the whole "Undead Army of the best" that Bolas is doing.

In order to make my players uncertain and not too quick to say that the gods are fakes, does it make sense for the Liches to be able to have Warlocks and Favored Souls serving them?
>>
>>54208392
Could just use an actual language like Gaelic or something
>>
>>54208533
undying warlock pact on the scag is a pact with a lich look that one up for you worlocky things
>>
>>54208392
I have prepared for this moment, that's how.

- Abyssal: Tolkienesque Black Speech
- Aquan: Hawaiian
- Auran: Basque
- Celestial: Hebrew
- Common: English
- Draconic: Sumarian
- Druidic: Irish Gaelic
- Dwarven: Icelandic
- Elven : Sindarin
- Genie: Arabic
- Giant : German
- Goblin: Spanish (Goblin/Bugbear - Mexican; Hobgoblin - Castillian/Old World)
- Gnoll: [dog barking sounds]
- Gnome: Dutch
- Halfling: Esperanto
- Ignan: Japanese
- Infernal: Latin
- Orc: Klingon
- Sphinx: Ancient Egyptian
- Sylvan: Welsh
- Terran: Greek
- Undercommon: Cthulhu-esque speech
>>
I need help deciding a build for a conspiracy crackpot Divination wizard. A real loony guy who's convinced "mighty powers" are ruling and ruining his life from the shadows and that mastering divination is the only way to foil and expose their schemes. it's not necessarily a meta thing but maybe it can be.

anyway I can't pick between these two builds. help me decide, /5eg/?

High Elf
>STR 8 / DEX 14 (+2) / CON 15 / INT 16 (+1) / WIS 13 / CHA 8
>shortsword proficiency (I just like the idea of him having a shortsword)
>an extra cantrip (probably for prestidigitation)
>fey ancestry, etc.

Variant Human
>STR 8 / DEX 14 / CON 16 (+1) / INT 16 (+1) / WIS 10 / CHA 8
>free Insight proficiency (already getting Investigation, Arcana, Survival, and Perception from class/background)
>Alert feat (+5 to Initiative, can't be surprised while conscious, hidden enemies don't get advantage on me)
>>
>>54208477

I disagree entirely. In my experience, the Sorc does everything the Wiz does, but extremely better. Metamagic is absolutely fucking retarded and breaks everything wide open. So the Wizard learns two spells a level, nobody gives a shit because you can't actually cast them due to level restrictions, and trying to fit that many ritual spells into so few levels is an absolute chore.

I've been playing for two years, mostly maritals, and now that I'm Sorc/Cleric, I'm shitting damage the likes of which I've never seen before, I'm far outpacing the edgy crossbow expert/sharpshooter character I made with half the levels. It's ridiculous.

>>54208479

That's because I'm not arguing with you, you special snowflake little twink. But you're still a faggot, even without arguments.

>>54208489

Stop for a second, and imagine someone like you, but not a fucking retard, who handles their resources in an economical way. Then you'll have me. Unlike you, I'm not a complete fucking retard and I'm able to figure out not to blow all my shit in the first hour of a six hour session. I mean, this might strike you as high fucking intellect, but that's not the kind of thing that sane people do.
>>
>>54208429
Good questions. I guess it all depends on the flavor you're going for.

The thing about these types of combats is that they're spectator sports. So you can't just have a messy, confusing, clustered "real" battle... so there need to be some rules.
Things like 1v1 battles
A "Royal Rumble" type thing where it's a free-for-all where only one must be left standing.
And one I've been tinkering with, a "last team standing" type of multi-1v1 battles, where two teams fight with each members doing a separate 1v1 battle, and then when one fighter drops another, he waits until one of his team drops so he can step in and try to finish off the adversary that dropped his teammate, and so forth until one team is left standing.

If they're not "to the death" type combats there could be referees and such to stop the fight when it's clear an adversary can't keep fighting/is close to death...

Lots of options, I hope what I've provided helps.
>>
>>54208610
I would like to see your current character's spell list, if it please you.
>>
>>54208429

>Newbie DM
>First session, we're all level 1
>Party barbarian is thrown against sci-fi bio-mech soldier
>Three rounds worth of "your attacks don't seem to hurt him, but his shit wrecks your fucking face two ways from tomorrow"
>DM says super soldier decides not to kill you, despite it going against the bloodthirsty monster of an NPC he had built
>That feel when it wasn't even my character, but someone else at the table, but I'm still disgusted
>>
>>54208616
Kind of at least in terms of what I can do with future fights. I'm trying to figure out a system for bettings, how much should a person gain for betting x amount of Gold, how much does the house and bookies get.
>>
>>54208610
I really don't get what you're getting about this.

The sorcerer gets metamagic which can potentially make more spells or be used to cast those spells faster.
The wizard gets arcane recovery to make more spells.

So, if you use your sorcery points to quicken, you have less spells than the wizard.

When you quicken, you get to cast a cantrip.
A cantrip for +1d8+3 damage or +1d10 damage or at level 5 +2d8+3 damage or +2d10 damage.
That hardly seems like a big deal in the slightest. Twice a long rest you can do +8 damage? Wow?

And what did you sacrifice to get that? You sacrificed great archetype features such as portent, you have a much more limited spell selection (Which can matter when you find things to apply those spells to - find familiar for example allowing you to essentially give somebody advantage without any actions every round, tenser's floating disk for carrying more loot, alarm for camp protection, tiny hut for more rest protection, identify so you can always work out wha teverything is, detect magic to avoid all the magical traps.. And so forth) and ...
Well, I guess dragon sorcerer gives you mage armour without a level 1 spell slot?

I could understand if you said 'Look, I can twin haste!' because that's pretty damn good, but really?
'I can cast an extra cantrip once or twice a short rest'?
>>
File: Capture.png (486KB, 1471x568px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
486KB, 1471x568px
>>54206248
I've tweaked the Crab theme to take advantage of the parts of the Hydra theme I liked to make this spider abomination.

y/n? Stick with one of the other designs?

This one has an actual Paralysis Gas blaster, which I kinda like.
>>
>>54208533

Never been interested in MTG, but I love the Amonkhet setting and have also decided to rip it off, but focusing entirely on the Naga. Snake dudes are cool.
>>
>>54208689
Whoops, sorry, not short rest, meant long rest.
>>
>>54206248
>>54208698
This is so god damn autistic.

I fucking really love the Hydra one though, I know I plan to steal that if you don't mind.
>>
>>54208610
Holy shit cunt, bring it down a few levels. You can try to be as resourceful as you want, but look you doing an extra 1d10, or 2d10 per round for like what 3 times? That is an amazing increase? Twin Haste is a much better use than quicken ever will be, and twin Blight makes quicken a pile of trash. And dont bring up the argument of changing spell slots over to sorcery points, that is a shitty waste of potential damage throughout the day. I've played sorcerer as my main character for years, in fact sorcerer was my first character ever in DnD, I am the first to defend it to the death, but it is no god class. It is not as bad as people say, but I think you are high on the sorcerer points buddy, just a honeymoon phase.
>>
File: modron.png (2MB, 3492x703px) Image search: [Google]
modron.png
2MB, 3492x703px
>>54208724
That's not even all of them.

I realize the Quadrone basically throws the original theme out the window (Well, even more than the rest of them) but I think those should be the most "human" of the basic Modrons.
>>
>>54208734
Forgot to add wizards actually can cast more spells per day which straight pisses me off, why do wizards regain spells on a short rest, that is a pure sorcerer ability.
>>
>>54208688
Oh, I'm a total dope, I somehow missed the word betting in your post.

The thing is betting is mathematically complex and involves the odds given for one fighter over the other (the sure thing is the safe bet but nets you little profit, the underdog is risky but you get a bigger cut)... I guess it all depends on what strikes you as profitable for the house based on how many betters you're putting in there.
>>
I've been thinking about how paladin/warlock order and pact mixes work from a fluff/story standpoint. I've got multiple fun ideas for every combo in core except for the old one. What would lead a paladin to have contact/power from something like that? Does that make any fucking sense?
>>
>>54208689
>>54208706
Not that guy but, what sorc absolutely does better than wizard is direct damage.

They still have the option to drop the encounter-ending save-or-lose spells, but if what's called is doing more damage, they absolutely can do that better than wizards while generally being more resilient.
>>
I hate sorcerers to be honest, I have a choice paralysis every time I try to choose spells, why sorcerers had to learn so few spells?
>>
>>54208775
Vengeance, bargain for more power to smite evil.
>>
>>54208741
You need to spend more time playing then making this stuff. Either that or get work designing monsters for rpgs because these are awesome. I'm not a huge fan of the Quadrone but I love the others. The Tridrone is rad as heck.

I really vote for Hydra over Crab, something about how it looks more dragon like to the weaker humanoid shaped ones just feels cool.

For someone not too knowledgeable about them, are their ones higher ranked then Pentedrones?
>>
>>54208786
>generally being more resilient.
Dragon sorcerer gets +1 hp/level and mage armour. That's hardly being much more resilient.

>doing more damage
Again, you're doing hardly any more damage over the course of a day. If they use all their sorcerery points for more damage, the wizard will then get recovery and get more spells overall which can potentially translate to more damage than the sorcerer unless the sorcerer has a feature like fire dragon sorcerer's bonus damage to fire, in which case.. They definitely do more damage? But it's not enough to justify anything, and if you just want raw at-will damage any martial is better than you.
>>
>>54208798
To highlight how there's only 2-3 spells per level worth learning.
>>
>>54208753
>why do wizards regain spells on a short rest
But they don't, wizards need a long rest to get spell slots back
>>
>>54208497

Paladin Sorc feels lame and weak as shit.

>>54208651

No problem pal.

At level 5, my spells were:

Cleric: Guidance, Sacred Flame, Thaumatury, Bless, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word (Fog Cloud, Thunderwave),
Sorcerer: Booming Blade, Lightning Lure, Thunderclap, Shocking Grasp, Create Bonfire, Shield, Witch Bolt, Feather Fall, Misty Step, Levitate

>>54208689

Because when I was a Wizard I did fuck all and was the least useful member of the party but now as a Sorc4/Cleric1 I am shitting damage nonstop and as an 8 Int am the leader of the party for no logical reason?

>>54208734

Believe you me, I am looking forward to changing spell slots over to be able to quicken more Thundersaves on top of my Booming Blades. It'll be massive, massive fucking damage. It's fucking ridiculous, being able to slam so much damage in such a small space. I'm not really sure how or why you were having 7+rounds of combat at levels five and fewer, but that's kind of sad if you couldn't Witch Bolt them to death at level, or they couldn't simply kill you at that level. Sounds like DM fiat to me if they didn't simply kill you.
>>
>>54208786
Dragon Sorcerer does more damage.... until the Evoker gets to level 9 and does much more damage while also keeping their team safe.
>>
>>54208804
Yes, though not statted for 5e. After Pentadrone they become weird ass monster-things that look like an exceptionally clean GOO or something. Like the next tier up is a giant sphere covered in eyeballs and tentacles with two fat cylinder legs.
>>
File: addasdad.jpg (25KB, 269x137px) Image search: [Google]
addasdad.jpg
25KB, 269x137px
>>54208823
Try again
>>
>>54208803
But the edge/vengence "I will use any means to defeat evil" thing is already fiend territory, aint it? GOO is also forbidden knowledge I guess but I dunno if it really rings the same.

The closest to an idea I had was an overzealous devotion paladin that ends up using the detect thoughts and similar spells in order to ensure that people aren't acting bad, but that was more a mechanical justification and doesn't explain how he ended up connected to cuthulu
>>
>>54208825
>I am shitting damage nonstop and as an 8 Int am the leader of the party for no logical reason?

So you're the leader just because you do the most hp damage? I don't think you can use your groups retardation as a point about the system.
>>
>>54208825
>Paladin Sorc feels lame and weak as shit.
It's just about the burstiest thing out there.

>Because when I was a Wizard I did fuck all and was the least useful member of the party but now as a Sorc4/Cleric1 I am shitting damage nonstop and as an 8 Int am the leader of the party for no logical reason?
You did fuckall because your DM was shit and gave the party nothing to do other than 'I attack' in which case even being a sorcerer could potentially suck and you should just suck up to being a generic fighter.
Also, level dips of cleric shouldn't be allowed on no-armour classes (Wizards and sorcerers) because it's just blatant 'I want +10 AC please'. But for what it matters that dip is keeping you from having 8d6 fireballs to throw.

... And again, there's no reason a wizard can't go and cast thunderwave too and be content with not also casting a cantrip on the same turn.
>>
>>54208825
>Witch Bolt
You do realise there's literally no reason to use this spell? When it does 1d10 damage each turn for your action while you could just cast a Cantrip for 1d10 damage and save the spellslot?

Good to know you're officially retarded though.

If you don't believe me then do a quick google search, Witch Bolt is mathematically the single worst damage spell in the game.
>>
>>54208821
which ones?
>>
>>54208599
That's actually okay. Good job.
>>
>>54208883
>Also, level dips of cleric shouldn't be allowed on no-armour classes (Wizards and sorcerers) because it's just blatant 'I want +10 AC please'.
Unrelated to the current discussion, but are level dips "bad", from either/both a flavor or mechanical reason? Are they a common source of imbalance or shenanigans in games? Should players be required to "stick" with a class for a certain amount of levels to prevent shit like Paladin 2/Sorcerer 18?

Not asking that anon in particular, but sort of open questions I was curious about from a relatively inexperienced player's perspective.
>>
>>54208869

I don't want to.

I really, really don't want to.

This is the literally least leaderlike character I've ever rolled up. I hate it.

>>54208883

How is a Mountain Dwarf dipping Sorc a plus 10 AC? I don't understand?

As for Paladin, I had to constantly balance my burst with the survivability of my party, as I was also a healer and a minor utility caster. Sure, I could waste all my spell slots on smites in the first encounter, and then I'd be an extremely shitty paladin.

As for Wizards, there's no way to Thunderwave and cantrip on the same round as a Wizard.

>>54208898

Witch Bolt is fucking amazing, no matter how many retards you have parroting your retardation. If I can use my action and concentration to deal 1d12 damage, no save, no roll, just deal it, every round, AND I can quicken a spell on top of it, why wouldn't I? Where's the negative in that? What am I losing casting a spell per round AND dealing 1d12 per round? Are you fucking retarded?
>>
How do you write a character that was actually good at shit without making them out to be COLDSTEEL WAS THE STRONGEST IN THE SONIC FIGHTING ACADEMY?

Like whenever I start to type this character's backstory I fucking hate myself for wanting to play some sort of generic prodigy.
>>
>>54208959

What shit do you want them to be good at, exactly? We can try to suggest reasons for their aptitude.
>>
>>54208938
Well, in particular a level dip of cleric is a bit strong.

For a wizard/sorcerer it doesn't lose them any spell slots - it actually gains them a level 1 cleric feature as well as cleric spells and cantrips.
All it does is delay the highest spell you know by 1.

What do you get in return? +1 max HP and heavy armour proficiency and shield proficiency (no reason not to use a shield). Compared to mage armour with 14 dexterity, that's +5 AC. And then you can cast shield to get a total of 25 AC.
It's not gamebreaking, but it feels like it really goes against the role of those classes by making them a lot tankier with almost no investment.

>>54208954
>Mountain dwarf
Well, if it's mountain dwarf, then I suppose that's fine. It's only +3 AC in that case.
>Sure, I could waste all my spell slots on smites in the first encounter, and then I'd be an extremely shitty paladin.
An oathbreaker paladin actually does more at-will damage than a fighter, and a fighter is supposed to be really damn good at at-will damage.
So, a paladin without their burst still provides support with healing and auras as well as constant damage.

>As for Wizards, there's no way to Thunderwave and cantrip on the same round as a Wizard.
But who cares?
A wizard would gladly not even cast any cantrip at all just so they can hide in the corner. Because why bother casting a cantrip for some pitiful 1d10 fire damage only for the monsters to gang up on you and kill you?
>>
>>54208959
>COLDSTEEL WAS THE STRONGEST IN THE SONIC FIGHTING ACADEMY?
This is literally how PC fighters are described in comparison to "guy that fights". You are in fact playing a prodigy of one kind of another when you make a PC, those are the only sort of people that would live an adventures life. You gotta own up to it and disregard that some people have used it for shiitty characters
>>
>>54208959
Don't focus on the numbers and flashing you're I'm Smart card. Don't do some big A-HA! moment, just go forward and talk about whatever they're good at like it's normal and natural, not something to be LOOK AT HOW GOOD I AM GUYS.

'Character was good at thing. This shaped their living and day to day life to be like so and so. They are confident in related stuff such as blah and blah though not as skilled, and they struggle with such and such.'
>>
>>54208825
Again man, quicken is 2 sorc points so at level 6 you only get to to that 3 times, which is a nice 2d10 3 times a day, but I want to use my bend luck as a wild mage sorcerer. Also I've been raving about twinning Blight, a 16d8 on 1 turn at level 7 is fucking amazing. I have been thinking about a dip into paladin for a level so I dont just get wrekt in a few turns, my DM doesn't like that I am able to pump out damage so he generally targets me.
>>
>>54208959
Keep the backstory, but have them get knocked on their ass.

Coldsteel might have been the strongest in the fighting Sonic academy, but that probably won't be true when he steps out into the real world, or maybe it was never true and he just thinks it was.

A character concept can start dumb but they don't have to stay that way.
>>
>>54208954
>Enemy moves more than 30 ft away
>Witch bolt ends
Hmm
>>
>>54208605
Human

>>54208959
Add challenges
>was initially shit, but really wanted/needed to do it, so he really gave it all and now is pretty good at x

Add flaws
>he's really good at x, which is good, because if he was to depend on y he'd be dead

Embrace the meme
>he's the hero, he's a prodigy, suck it up
>>
>>54208959
You don't need to be the best in the backstory to make your character seem worthy. Playing the game will give you many opportunities to be amazing and have people be in awe of you.

Off the top of my head; My character is a Gnome fighter who wants to be a knight and serve his kingdom. He unfortunately was not strong and skilled enough to enter the kingsguard and is adventuring to acquire strength and not just of body but of mind, so one day he can realize his dream.
>>
>>54208954
Casting witch bolt on something means one of two things should be happening next time that enemy has a turn;
1) They walk over to you and hit you because you are within 30 feet of them
2) They walk away from you are are no longer being hit
>>
>>54208954
>AND I can quicken a spell on top of it, why wouldn't I?
Because you can do that what? Like 3 times per day? That's 6d10 extra damage if you want to be assume your cantrip hits.

Meanwhile a Twilight Druid for reference can make their AoE deal +3d10 damage to everyone they've hit with it. Sorcerer isn't a damage caster, if your group is retarded and can't build their characters then you probably feel pretty impressive, but there's so many other ways to do it much better.
>>
>>54208954
By RAW, you can't quicken another spell without ending Witch Bolt.

>1d12 per action
>1d12 per spell level is kind of nice
>except you're wasting higher levels spells for the hope of future damage instead of immediate results
>as long as they stay with 30 feet
>or don't go behind full cover
>while also being a concentration
>>
>>54209002
This is important. It may seem like adventurers are a dime a dozen, but depending on your setting, after a certain point, you are by definition prodigious. Even the scrawniest of mages is imbued with vitality beyond that of normal men. Martials begin to perform feats of might that inspire song and legend. "Those guys who foiled a demonic plot and saved the kingdom" seems pretty run of the mill from the player's perspective but in setting its not like the kingdom is in jeopardy every Wednesday.
>>
>>54208959
>How do you write a character that was actually good at shit without making them out to be COLDSTEEL WAS THE STRONGEST IN THE SONIC FIGHTING ACADEMY?

Most PCs are typically either talented or experienced. If you don't like being talented, go for experience. Your character might not have been the best but they've been plugging away at it for a while and have finally broken into the big leagues. This works better if you're willing to play an older character.

Alternatively your character was #2 best at the sonic fighting academy and you can play up their feelings of insecurity despite their obvious skill because they were never quite the best.
>>
>>54208997

>Oathbreaker
>Why contribute to encounters?

Okay, so you're actually that guy and a fucking retard.

>>54209007

Maybe you need more spell slots then, son. I'm multiclassing with another full caster class, so although I can't cast full level spells, they're RIPE for metamagic. I can quicken all fucking day, sacrificing slots I don't have spells for anyway. You wanna Paladin and limit yourself further? That's fine and dandy, but don't complain when your spells ain't Fireball worthy.

>>54209025

>Enemy eats tons of OP attacks from my allies
OR
>Enemy moves so far away they can't interact with my party

Okay? Where's the downside? Entire Bard spells have effects which do the same thing, but I'm also doing damage, so...what?

>>54209033

>They attempt to hit me
>I'm weaponless shield plus shield spell
>I give 0 fucks when they miss me

Okay?

>>54209053

>Muh UA shit which was completely OP at inception does yadda yadda

Okay

>>54209059

What? I use an action to deal 1d12. I quicken whatever. Why do I have to end Witch Bolt when it is within its effects to deal 1d12 while I keep concentration?

>Enemy decides to waste a turn fucking running away
>They deal fuck all with their turn getting out of my range

Okay, I get a free Suggestion out of it too?
>>
About to play in a 5e lvl 7 one shot. Im not super familiar with gameplay past like level 4. The gm will only allow us to have starting gold/equipment, im just worried that will hinder combat. Anyone have any insight?
>>
>>54209126

It won't hinder combat in the slightest.
>>
>>54209033
That's only applicable in a 1v1 white room scenario. Now I would never use witch bolt but what if the enemy is indoors and can't just walk away through a wall. What if walking up to the him requires provoking 3 AoO. What if the enemy is grappled by his ally or entangled or they are on difficult terrain. I could keep going but you get the point.
>>
>>54208599
Wouldn't Deep Speech work better for the Cthulhu-esque speech? It's the language of beholders and mindflayers, Undercommon is just that thing Underdark-dwellers use to communicate between like drow and druergar and the likes.
>>
>>54208818
And CON proficiency. And natural perma flight at 14th but let's no go that far.

But how is doing more damage not enough to justify anything? Doing damage is the core challenge of combat, which comprises more that 3/4ths of the game (and for most campaigns, the only part where mechanics truly come into play meaningfully). And sure, martials do it better, *but that's all martials can do*. As I said, Sorc can do damage and still have a spell list and plenty of cantrips to call upon if other measures are required.

Really, these kinds of arguments regarding Sorcerers and Warlocks come down to a fundamental misunderstanding: that either class is meant to play like a Wizard. They are not.

Wizards spend all combat long using their action to cast spells.
Sorcs and Warlocks cast one, maybe two spells, and the rest of their actions are taken up dealing damage with cantrips.

Both the latter are much more combat oriented than Wizards; the former's value comes from their general out of combat utility. A bag of tricks.

A combat lasts 3-5 rounds. A sorcerer easily has the stamina to spend every one of those rounds quickening/twinning Fire Bolt or whatever else attack cantrip of choice while maintaining concentration on a vital spell they dropped right before or at the beginning of combat. And then, once the fight is over, they burn some spell slots to refill their SP pool and be ready for the next fight.

This is what they do. This is how they play. If you try to play them some other way, well of course they're going to be fucking trash. You try playing a Wizard like a Sorcerer and then not tell me its performance will feel lacking. Like lol fucking Bladesingers.
>>
>>54209135
Its my first time on a bard so Im just worried imma get facestomped with just base equipment. In my head higher levels should have things I guess.
>>
>>54207045

You don't necessarily HAVE to replace the ability. There's a certain appeal to a dude who's still respected by the naive underlings of an organization he's become jaded with. The smiling faces of the helpful young acolytes reminding him of the how idealistic and stupid he once was.
>>
>>54208206
>they literally can't do anything
>hasn't played illusionist wizard
>hasn't played divination wizard
literal gods of the battlefield, did this little idiot think that because he can't stack 50 buffs he can't do anything?, two years and you haven't seen someone use illusionary reality to trap someone inside "semi" real walls with "semi" real lava? or drop them through a cliff with a "semi" real hole?

or give that nasty lich a 1 on it's spell attack?
or allow the big stupid fighter to crit by giving him a 20?
>>
>>54209124
>Why contribute to encounters?
When you're a wizard and you don't feel like using your tide-turning spells, why should you?
All you do is make yourself a target when you don't have to be in order to do your piddly cantrip damage.

Oathbreaker was just an example, not considering its flavour.
>>
File: 1406734307127.png (53KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1406734307127.png
53KB, 625x626px
>>54208954
>Witch Bolt is fucking amazing
Holy shit

I can't believe we fell for your stupid fucking bait for this long.
>>
>>54209124
>The spell ends if you use your action to do anything else.

Bonus Actions are also actions. The only thing you can do, by RAW, is move.

>fifty people telling you the most blaring issues with witch bolt
>silver bullet syndrome

K.
>>
Is Lolth not considered a deity in forgotten realms? I'm not seeing her on the list in the phb
>>
>>54208954
>Witch Bolt is fucking amazing
nigga you are doing 7 damage per turn
>>
>>54209146
At least in my setting, Mind Flayers don't speak, they communicate telepathically, while their written language amounts to Braile.

Beholders hate each other and do not have a shared language. They're super-geniuses and so pick up other languages easy, though, usually Undercommon at the least.

Basically my setting doesn't have a "Deep Speech" as you're suggesting, or rather, it does, it's just that it's synonymous with Undercommon. Undercommon itself is, I like to imagine, what happens if you mix Elvish, Dwarvish, and nightmares.
>>
>>54209201
Yes, she is, she's just considered a non-human deity. The PHB's list of FR deities is strictly for the human pantheon, it doesn't include the non-human gods like Moradin, Corellon Larethian, and so on.

The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide has her listed under the drow pantheon.
>>
>>54209159

Use Suggestion when you can, Vicious Mockery when you can't. Heal when needed.

>>54209168

>Literal Gods
>Look over spell list
>Literally fucking nothing

Okay

>>54209170

>Be in fight
>Don't help
>Party gets overwhelmed because they're one man down when they shouldn't be
>Not my fault, I'm a Wizard

Literally retarded

>>54209191

>Dealing free damage so long as you keep proper positioning

Okay, yeah, it's shit. Free damage is God awful, I should have known.

>>54209198

>Actions and bonus actions are the same thing

Please tell me you're right, I can break so much shit if your stupidity is right.

>>54209212

>Dealing free damage for free

Okay?
>>
witch bolt is not amazing but pretty awesome at lower levels if you're a sorcerer with the metamagic to increase spell range
>>
>>54209238
>Wizard doesn't help
>You've lost, what, 5.5 damage a round?
>Meanwhile each martial is capable of doing 30+ damage a turn without resources, or even more than that with resources
>If the enemies go for the wizard assuming the wizard isn't protected with various multiclasses because they're a scrub who can't play wizard properly the wizard gets downed really fast
>The party actually loses more resources as the healer uses their spell slots for healing if the wizard casts a spell and has all the enemies attack them

Yeah, sure.

The wizard is a tactical unit whose at-will power is shit but has great burst and non-combat power and is free to use their actions to improvise and go pull levers or whatever.
If you think the wizard should then focus on at-willing cantrips through a fight, there's something wrong.
>>
Is after level 6 a good time to start multiclassing with UA Ranger?
>>
File: Bonus action.png (72KB, 398x82px) Image search: [Google]
Bonus action.png
72KB, 398x82px
>>54209238
They are not the same thing, but they are both actions, which Witch Bolt says you cannot do without ending the spell.
>>
>>54209278
What would you multiclass?
>>
how good is wizard when you can't just find any spell you want under the nearest rock and don't assume you can always long rest to kit out the perfect set of spells to defeat any situation

Genuine question. I know they're still amazing, but how much?
>>
>>54209297
I really have no idea. Maybe rogue? as my party is doesn't have many of the skills that a rogue would provide. The rest of the ranger levels just seem pretty lame to me
>>
>>54209299
Well even if you're locked into the same INT+2xWizard level spells for a situation, it's still more then Sorcerer can chose from.

Also you start with 6 spells and get +2 each level, you can literally get all the best ones without scrolls.
>>
>>54209299
At low levels, they're simply good to have in your party, but not the greatest thing ever.

You don't need to get more spells to add to your spellbook, but it helps.

When you don't have a lot of long rests, you still get plenty of spells for tactical use if you're conservative, and then can use cantrips and archetype abilities and ritual spells otherwise. Also, few people have high intellect.

Wizards fill a role that is almost always not filled.
>>
>>54209281

>Feature lets me use a bonus action without any mention to my action
>Make any action without any mention to my bonus action
>Somehow they interact
Okay.

>>54209258

I went as tactical as I fucking could with my Wizard. Pure fucking powergame, and I was easily the least useful member of the party. I did absolutely dick. I could blame it on the DM, but I won't. Wizard features just aren't that great.

>Much 3.5 memes

Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>54209299
At low levels Wizards are basically the same as Clerics and Druids except less survival for more utility.

At high levels... Well all fullcasters become retard at levels 9+.
>>
>>54209299

At level 20 assuming 20 in your spell casting stat, you know almost 3 times as many spells as a sorcerer and can prepare 25 as opposed to their measly 15.

At any level in the game, you'll know more than twice as many spells as the sorcerer and be able to prepare more spells than the sorcerer knows as long as you have at least 14 INT.

Wizard also has a better spell list.
>>
Any advice on ranger subclasses? DM allows UA, so I've been building a revised ranger, and I've gotten to the point where I can pick up a conclave. Hunter seems to be the most powerful of the three, but I was wondering if any of the other conclaves (or other UA archetypes like Horizon Walker) have any strengths that would be worth considering over Hunter's damage capabilities?
>>
>>54209349
Seems like you think doing damage is the key thing in how useful a class is. Even then sleep can wreck encounters at low level so I'm not sure how you didn't contribute as wizard
>>
>>54209313
Well, volley is pretty good, but sure, after 6th you can swap out.

Rogue would continue scaling your damage if you're not a 2h weapon user.

A combat-oriented Cleric could also work depending on your Wisdom.
>>
File: 1444135718592.jpg (288KB, 981x1146px) Image search: [Google]
1444135718592.jpg
288KB, 981x1146px
>>54207287
Players might stumble onto a campaign driving plotline I've been building up to for a while now, but they've expressed interest in cutting their losses and leaving before they see the event. How should I deal if they decide to leave? Have it continue in the backround? The deal is that they're gonna see a Mind Flayer making a speech to his minions about finally amassing enough force to strike out and retake a revolted city, prompting War rules and stuff. If they leave though, they'll have no clue when it happens since I've alluded to it enough times, but they still haven't really gotten it. Thoughts? I mean I have a couple independent plot threads lined up so I could just shelve it, but realistically, in a living, breathing world, it wouldn't just stop happening.
>>
>>54209349
>I did absolutely dick. I could blame it on the DM, but I won't.
Either you cocked up, the DM cocked up or pretty much 95% of us here on /5eg/ are wrong. You're ruling out the DM option, so we're down to 'Either /5eg/ is wrong or you're shit'.
>>
What if I made all casters prepare spells?
>>
>>54209409

>Have cast sleep literally eight times
>Each time it did exactly nothing

Trap spell, it does literally fucking nothing.

>>54209454

>/5eg/
>On /tg/
>Literally the stupidest, most retarded board on 4chan

No, you guys are fucking geniuses.
>>
>>54209238
>look over spell list
>Literally fucking nothing
are you blind?
>best spell list in game
>anon is clearly retarded and doesn't into reading comprehension
>>
>>54209349
Witch Bolt, to my recollection, is the only spell in the game with that particular clause. If they wanted to be able to use a bonus action with it, the clause would read something like:
>the spell ends if you do not use your action to deal this damage

Also:

>thinking that everyone has access to a bonus action

Some anon pulls rules out of his ass: the general.
>>
File: fabius bile vs imperial titan.png (480KB, 671x502px) Image search: [Google]
fabius bile vs imperial titan.png
480KB, 671x502px
I want to make my mid-story bosses be like Winds of Destruction from mgs. First one is a greatsword-wielding vampire with teleport. Any other ideas? I'm intending to go full on meme-cheese with them.
>>
File: 1370914378776.png (370KB, 720x544px) Image search: [Google]
1370914378776.png
370KB, 720x544px
Threadly reminder, if your campaign isn't full of overt racism and frequent discrimination against non standard races then you're not mature to play this game.

Half orcs are rape babies to be hung upon sight.
>>
>>54209433
The most psionically sensitive character (someone with high INT? someone whose class has access to telepathy? the druid smoked too much?) picks up parts of the the speech (given telepathically) by accident.
>>
>>54209481
I could believe that you were dumb enough to think sorcerer is better than wizard and that witch bolt is a good spell. But I draw the line at calling sleep a trap spell
>>
>>54208429
Isn't that where Demogorgon appears?
>>
>>54209486

>All my spells are situational as fuck
>None of those situations ever come up
>BEST SPELL LIST GUYS

Okay.

>>54209490

>Accuse me of the same shit you're doing

A bonus action is not an action. An action is not a bonus action. Cunning Action is not Action Surge. Bardic Inspiration is not Witch Bolt. None of this shit is ambiguous.

>>54209545

It's not a trap spell, it's a shit spell. If your group of enemies is ever under 20 HP, then you're better off just attacking them, even with unarmed strikes you'll still kill them in a single round. If you disagree you're fucking stupid.
>>
Which spells should I take as a sorcerer?

>1: Sleep, Shield
>2: Magic Missiles
>3: Mirror image, swap sleep for ?
>4: Scorching Ray
>5: Fireball, swap ? for Haste
>6: ?

Also, what metamagic do you find the most useful? I was thinking of taking Subtle and Twinned
>>
Would fire resistance help against desert heat?
>>
>>54209628

Quickened is the most useful by far.
>>
>>54209493
No way in Hell Kirk would be okay with killing a green-skinned woman.
>>
>>54209612
>equating class features to actions in combat
>literally shown the PBE
>"N-nuh-uh, my stupid spell interaction works the way I says it does"
>>
>>54209612
Take your bait and leave
>>
>>54209493
Humie fuckers are disgusting
>>
>>54208773
Apologies for my confusion, but I'm new to this.

I'm about to have a fight in an arena in my game tomorrow and I'm trying to get the betting numbers accurate.

The betting odds are 3 to 1.
3 On the party member
1 On the Fighting Pit champion.

The bookies are getting a 5% cut.
I have a party member who is betting 500 Gold on the Party member to win.

If he wins, does that party member gain 1,900 Gold or 1,425 Gold?
>>
>>54209533
Actually I rolled for the MF and he communicates verbally, and because of the setting a lot of them speak Undercommon so that wouldn't be a problem, it's just that they'd have to have two more encounters until they get to the speech, which seems like maybe enough for them to pack up and go home without getting to the real juicy bit. I have one encounter with Intellect Devourers that's specifically to counter the Half-Orc with an INT of 6 because all they do is hide behind him and shout heals while he tanks everything, but if they survive and decide this shit was too much they'll be right there and decide to miss the whole thing. So it's just a weird DM decision I need to make, but it's my first time running a campaign so I don't know if having the army flourish and ascend with no warning would be a good example of proper worldbuilding and realism or if I'd just be That DM.
>>
How come 5etools adds all the Plane Shift races, classes, backgrounds and whatnot, but never integrates the Bestiaries?
>>
>>54209644
Twinned is way better, and subtle is nice for RP, quicken is aight for a slight damage boost here an there.
>>
>>54209684
The winner gets their stake back, plus N times their stake. So betting on the Champion will give you back 2*N gold, and betting on your Party Member will give you back 4*N gold.

Typically the bookie takes his cut out of all paid out winnings. So if your party member wins, the bookie will pay out 95% of 2000 gold, so he'll pay out 1900 and keep 100.
>>
File: The power of undeath.jpg (126KB, 736x1300px) Image search: [Google]
The power of undeath.jpg
126KB, 736x1300px
What would be the best spell setup for a Lawful Neutral Human Necromancer Wizard? Started in a new campaign as a level 4 wizard and decided to start off with more utility sort of spells such as Knock, Light, False Life, Spider Climb, etc. that have proven useful so far. Fairly new to wizards as a whole, but here's my spell list so far.

>Cantrips:
Light, fire bolt, ray of frost, eldritch blast (spell sniper feat freebie)
>1st:
Sleep, Magic Missile, Identify, False Life
>2nd:
Spider Climb, Knock, Web, Invisibility
>>
>>54209658

>The extremely narrow view I think of the rules that isn't supported at all is how it works

Okay.

>>54209670

You first, faggot.

>>54209696

If you've ever bothered to play a Sorc (which you haven't), Twinned is shit for everything except Haste, and unless your character is literally "I'm gonna twin Haste" the character, it's wasted. And if it is, you're a faggot who should stick to other systems.
>>
File: 1452710539126-1.png (736KB, 783x767px) Image search: [Google]
1452710539126-1.png
736KB, 783x767px
>>54209612
>situational
>isn't creative confirmed
what even is :1st level- charm person, silent image, color spray, SLEEP
2nd Level-Blur, darkness, hold person, invisibility, mirror image, misty step, phantasmal force, suggestion, COUNTERSPELL, Fear
3rd Level- Glyph of warding, haste, Hypnotic Pattern, Major Image, SLow,
4th level- banishment, blight, confusion, greater invisibility, hallucinatory terrain, phantasmal killer, PoLyMorph.
5th Level-AnImAtE objects, Dom Person, Cloudkill, GEAS (Jibu uh woahh), Modify memory, Mislead, Seeming, Wall of force
6th level- Distintegrate, Eyebite, Mas Suggestion, Programmed illusion,
7th Level- Finger of Death, Mirage Arcane, Project Image, SIMULACRUM (WHISH BITCH), Teleport, Symbol
8th Level- Antipathy/sympathy, Clone, Anti magic, Feeble Mind, Dom Monster, Demi plane, Power Stun

9th level-all of em
>>
>>54209628
Witch bolt. Best spell in the game. It's literally free damage!
>>
>>54209759
Thank you, anon!
>>
>>54209771
>extremely narrow view
>beginning with a simple "by RAW that won't even work"
>goes through autistic lengths to defend shitty build with a shitty spell
>against RAW provided both in Witch Bolt's text and how actions are classified

K.
>>
>>54209771
>Twinned is shit
>But loves witchbolt because 'muh free 6.5 damage
>Can twin witch bolt for a free 13 damage
Okay.
>>
I'm building a planeshift Zeal Cleric who's going to be focused on supporting the Zealot Barbarian. He's a GWM build and so I'm going to go something different.

Is a Spear Master Cleric a good idea? It seems like a good feat.

The other option was to take Charger even though it's normally shit. Considering I'm only making one attack with my action anyway, getting a speed and damage boost while making the attack seems good.
>>
>>54209696

I'm pretty sure subtle makes you immune to counterspell which can be amazing if your DM uses guys that can counterspell
>>
Can I make an effective Archer with a Lore Bard or should I stick with Valor for that?

Pros and cons off the top of my head-
>Valor has an extra attack obviously
>Lore is the better choice for just about everything else though
>can get an extra attack from CBE
>That extra attack is a bonus action that conflicts with Swift Quiver

Weighing the options it seems like Lore Archer is just gonna be a mediocre valor bard and less effective "normal" lore bard.
>>
File: gookoo.jpg (32KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
gookoo.jpg
32KB, 540x304px
Help me optimize my Sun Soul Monk 5eggs. I'm 9th level and my biggest problems are my lack of damage and my stunning strike not going through. I currently have 20 Dex and 16 Wisdom so I was thinking that my next two ASI's would be to increase my wisdom to give stunning strike a larger chance to work but I'm not convinced there isn't a better option.

I was thinking of getting Lucky instead of raising Wisdom just to make sure I hit something. Our Fighter/Cleric does a ton of damage with action surge but he's not using GWM and my damage dice increase to d8s next level so I figure so long as I can make sure I land the hits I would be able to stay somewhat competitive.

I was also considering Alert because stunning strike is better if you can go first and let everyone else have advantage, but going in to stunning strike is sort of at odds with what sun soul monk wants to do, i.e. do damage outside of your opponent's range. I feel like if I went full into stunning strike I would just regret not being an Open Hand Monk, who can at least go for the Dex save prones when enemy Con saves are too high for stunning strike to go through

I'm also considering Healer so I can bring people back mid combat. We had an encounter against a guy that did a ton of damage against our fighter due to a large amount of crit rolls, eventually knocked him out and our ranger too, and I spent a ton of ki points trying to stun this guy with only one going through and then getting shrugged off due to legendary resistance. I figure my best asset as a Monk is being evasive and mobile, so I wouldn't have a problem reaching allies to bring them back up.
>>
>>54209774

Okay, I don't want to make the same character three campaigns in a row, alright? Let me have some fucking variety.

>>54209826

>Witch bolt says it uses your action AND bonus action because I said so!
>No justification
>I said so so it does!
>That's the reason
>My reason is RAW and RAI because I said so!
>Even though there's literally nothing supporting it!

>>54209839

Twinned witch bolt doesn't work.
>>
>>54209875
Subtle means you cast a spell without somatic or verbal components. Counterspell requires you to see a creature casting a spell. Barring some mind-reading or something that would otherwise inform you of the spell, yes, a Subtle spell cannot be conventionally countered.
>>
File: bakula.jpg (44KB, 378x531px) Image search: [Google]
bakula.jpg
44KB, 378x531px
>>54207380
>>54207342
>open /5eg/ to shitpost about fighters and casters
>immediately come across Don Quixote and Scott Bakula posts
well shit i'm in such a good mood now I'm not even gonna be a fag tonight
brian stokes mitchell is still my favorite quixote though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxjGlgmSJ8o
>>
How good is TWF in this game?
>>
>>54209771
Twin is kick ass, for disintegrate too you obviously haven't played high level sorcerer
>>
>>54209980
>Witch Bolt literally says you cannot use your action for anything else
>b-but it doesn't say you can't use a bonus action
>IE the one thing that is not a guaranteed part of a pc's turn (action and movement)
>reading's for chumps
>>
>>54210040
Only useful on Rogues for more chances at landing your Sneak Attack. Most other classes will have better uses for their bonus actions and dual-wielding requires both a feat and a fighting style investment to actually operate at its peak, which is still shittier than just GWMing.
>>
>>54210040
I've got a player that's having a lot of fun as a TWF Dual Wielding hunter ranger, pre-revision.
>>
>>54210040
Best used on strength barbarians level 1-4 and strength barbarogues levels 1-20. Otherwise, merely a back-up possibility for GFB/BB mobility rogues that they won't use all the time.
Or used on bladesingers which is a shit archetype and you shouldn't be meleeing all the time on it anyway.

In all other cases, mostly after level 4, it's shit.
>>
>>54209687
Maybe there can be clues indicating a rapid militarization. Say, while the rogue does his usual scouting routine he comes upon a dozen empty rooms, which upon a successful Investigation check, reveal themselves to be freshly constructed accommodations for the growing army. A rare scrap of writing might hint at their plans in the forms of schedules or inventories or something. Footprints may indicate the direction of movement and number of minions at different times. Other markings could show the movement of objects, maybe enough to deduce that furniture for something resembling an auditorium has recently been constructed, like a dustless silhouette where a podium once was. Forgive me if I'm an uncreative hack, but I hope I've helped.
>>
>>54210074
On regular rogues GFB/BB (unless enemy has very high AC) or CBE outclasses TWF. Though you 'could' use TWF if you're content with being suboptimal.
>>
>>54210040
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh, not great mathamatically but it can still be fun as long as your table isn't the "Every martial needs GWM+PAM" type.

My prefered way of doing it is with a Fighter 1/Barbarian X. Be a V. Human and take Dual-Wielder at level 1. Probably take Zealot Barbarian from UA so that you can be dealing a ton of damage to anyone in your way.

Another option would be if you can convince your DM to let you take TWF on a Paladin, then go Redemption. So you get 3d8+3xDEX damage and AC equal to 19+DEX. Once you get to level 11 then you can be doing 6d8+3xDEX. Probably the best way to do a DEX Paladin.
>>
>>54209774
>color spray

color spray was one of my favorite spells in 3rd edition but it's shit in 5e
>>
>>54210034
Don't worry anon Witch Bolt retard is filling the shitpost quota for the thread.
>>
>>54210040
Level 1-3 games without feats
Rogues without magic or feats
Beast master without feats
>>
>>54210181
>Another option would be if you can convince your DM to let you take TWF on a Paladin
This got me thinking, a TWF does literally the exact same damage as a PAM build without GWM.

3d8 from Dual-Wielding is 13.5.... Same as PAM. Sure it's worse because you have to take a certain fighting style and can't GWM against low AC enemies but in exchange you get more AC, Initiative and better skills.

Maybe TWF isn't that bad after all.
>>
>>54209168
>you haven't seen someone use illusionary reality

not him but I can safely say I've never seen anyone use an ability that requires level 14
>>
Why would I ever make a strength paladin?
>>
File: Nilobg-5e.jpg (197KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Nilobg-5e.jpg
197KB, 1200x1650px
So what trickster god was he supposed to be anyway?
>>
>>54210354
Because pam and gwm exist
>>
>Core book acknowledges Greyhawk, Eberron, and Mystara
>Only FR is getting support
>>
>The PAM Druid averages more damage in melee with his retarded magic staff as the Sword and Board Paladin and the TWF Ranger

Sometimes I fucking hate premades and their stupid magic items. LMoP has done nothing but make the EK Fighter and the Druid miles ahead of the rest of us with the Staff of Defence and Staff of the Spider respectively.
>>
File: FOR HONOR.jpg (624KB, 1357x1920px) Image search: [Google]
FOR HONOR.jpg
624KB, 1357x1920px
Anyone have any guesses what the subclasses are gonna be in Xanathars guide to everything?
>>
>>54210404
>Take a bunch of feats instead of ASI and make yourself even more MAD

again I ask for what purpose? If I want to do lots of damage in melee I'll smite.
>>
>>54210437
Because they made five years of plans at the start of 5e to cover their most popular setting (Forgotten Realms) and then did a survey to determine what settings the public wants to see (with Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, and Planescape at the top).

So expect something Eberron related in the next two years. I'm betting Q4 2018 with mystic and artificer in it.
>>
warcaster lets arcane casters use a focus and a shield in the same hand, right?
>>
>Making a Lore Bard Necromancer, planning to take Counterspell and Animate Dead at 6
>As they are from the desert (they wuz kangz and shit, the entire reason his society turned to Necromancy was extreme drought/famine) really want Create Food and Water
>Would have to swap Counterspell for it
Fug.

Addendum- taking Magic Initiate for Booming Blade, but all the classes that get it can't also get Create or Destroy Water
Double fug
>>
Rolled 9,13,15,12,11,11. What do i do with this shit?
>>
>>54210577
Druid is always the option for shit stats.
>>
>>54210577
Seems fine after racials.
>>
Is it just me or Warlock's pact boons are kinda underwhelming? They are only worth the invocations as far as I can see it.
Pact of the Chain only becomes worthwhile if you get Voice of the Chain-master to turn your familiar into an RC scout.
Pact of the Blade is kind of pointless unless you get the double attack and the Charisma bonus to attacks... which are beaten by damage, range, number of attacks and stat dependency by just upgrading Eldritch Blast.
Pact of the Tome is pointless unless you REALLY want thaumaturgy or another class specific misc cantrip, since Eldritch Blast is already the best one for damage, and it only becomes worth it if you get the ritual casting invocation. And if you did it just to get ritual Detect Magic, well... there's an invocation that makes it at will cast...
They are almost thematic upgrades just for fluff
>>
>>54210462
Because a 2h paladin can also smite for even more damage.

And PAM plus Quarterstaff & Shield is just as defensive as DEX builds while doing more damage.
>>
>>54210630
Yeah thinking on going Aasimar paladin and putting both str and cha on 16 with lvl 4. Downside is the shitty con.
>>
When's the next UA?
>>
I sure wish we could have a D&D session that lasted longer than 90 minutes. But inevitably someone needs to get up for work early the next day.
>>
>>54210641
Pact of the Chain works just by itself, no need for voice. Intelligent, invisible familiar is no joke, particularly in the early levels.

Pact of the Tome is the best pact already. Book of Ancient Secrets makes it even better, but more at-will utility from extra cantrips can't be underestimated. Guidance is always good, Spare the Dying is great (sp. with a familiar), and this is how you do the CHA Shillelagh shenanigans for multiclassing.

Pact of the Blade needs its invocations, yeah, but properly built it outdamages EB, which is all that's needed to justify it as a character option.
>>
File: 475-large-carving-axe.jpg (976KB, 2000x1425px) Image search: [Google]
475-large-carving-axe.jpg
976KB, 2000x1425px
So my GM added a pair of weapons that are magically linked. Sharped one, the other is sharpened. Destroy one, the other is destroyed. What sort of stuff can we do with this? The example the GM gave was a Warlock making one a pact weapon, which would enable them to do two-weapon fighting.

The party is a ranger, bard, fighter, and warlock
>>
>>54210695
What, are you going to dump your 9 in con? Because otherwise your con will rank from "average" (with one of your 11s) to "slightly above average" (with the 12).
>>
>>54210735
Yes, at early levels they are useful. The familiar is pretty damn useful as a scout. But you already have invisibility available for 1 hour at that level, more than enough to scout ahead yourself if you mind the traps.
I agree that the Tome is the best just for the utility you can get of those cantrips, and it's invaluable if your party lacks that utility.
Also, pact of the blade only outdamages Eldritch Blast at lvl 5 if you have both high strength and charisma, while using it as a two handed weapon with both invocations. Later on Eldritch Blast is way better since Force damage is almost NEVER resisted except for some constructs and aberrations, while you can throw it from 300 meters and get repelling blast. If you go all the way to beef it up with feats and sorcerer multiclassing you can get an awesome but impractical 1200ft range in an ability that will deal 4d10 +20 damage compared to a 2d12 +20 pact melee weapon.
They aren't useless, just underwhelming after a couple of levels.
>>
>>54210055
It specifically says "use your action", while bonus actions are a type of action, they are not the same as using your action.

Witch bolt is fucking garbage because you are almost always better off casting any other spell, followed by cantrips.
>>
>>54210829
15,15,12. Str,Cha and con. Up both str and cha by one to get them at +3. Im hoping that i gonna roll well for hp, so the only +1 on con wont be bad.
>>
>>54210756
Kill the warlock. Ranger or Fighter takes magic initiate, learns shillelagh.

I'm assuming the weapon is light, given the TWF example?
>>
>>54210756
Over how much distance does it work?
>>
File: aniki_waking_up.gif (2MB, 244x147px) Image search: [Google]
aniki_waking_up.gif
2MB, 244x147px
So how does bonus to damage roll work on a +1 weapon? So a magic longsword+1 (1d8+1d4) with a 20str character damage looks like
>(1d8+5+1)+(1d4+5+1)
or
>(1d8+1d4+5+1)
or
>(1d8+1)+(1d4+1)+5
>>
>>54210911
...where's that 1d4 roll coming from?
>>
>>54210911
Where is that 1d4 coming from?
Shouldn't it be 1d8+1+5 (1d10+1+5 if two handed)?
>>
>>54210836
>Also, pact of the blade only outdamages Eldritch Blast at lvl 5 if you have both high strength and charisma, while using it as a two handed weapon with both invocations. Later on Eldritch Blast is way better since Force damage is almost NEVER resisted except for some constructs and aberrations

Okay first, no, the CHA to damage invocation doesn't kick in until 12th so that's not factoring in here. A bladelock doesn't particularly benefit from CHA until later levels.

Greatsword: 2d6+STR+Hex does more damage than Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast + Hex at 5th (1d10+CHA+Hex), where you get the 2nd attack invocation. At 11th EB gets upgraded, but at 12th they get Lifedrinker and that again pushes it above EB damage.

Same applies to 1h weapons with Dueling FS from a Fighter dip, which is highly recommended for bladelocks. Also PAM for either Quarterstaff+Shield or a Glaive.

And your pact weapon is going to be magical, which bypasses pretty much all damage type resistances.

Bladelock has issues, but not doing more damage than Eldritch Blast isn't one of them.

Now, Sorlock on the other hand is a monster, but that's not really a Warlock build as you only stay in for 2 levels. And if we're talking about dips, Paladin with 3 levels of Tomelock is exceptional (and continues with more warlock levels after Paladin 12th).
>>
I'm so hyped to be playing a GOO warlock spamming eldritch blast and making liberal use of charm person and disguise self at will shenanigans.
Will this actually be fun or will this set me up for disappoint?
>>
>>54211032
Didn't take into account that, fighter dip plus feats would make a bladelock pretty good now that I see it. Getting some maneuvers would be cool too if you go polearm master.
And getting magical damage early is pretty good too if you're going melee.
>>
>>54210945
>>54210954
It's an additional 1d4 of fire damage, just for the sake of the question.
>>
>>54211133
Disguise self at will + charm person is an easy way to get the funniest plot derailments early.
>>
>>54211192
It's the damage of the blade as if it was non-magical and then adding the modifiers from it's enchantments and from attributes AFAIK
So my guess is
>(1d8+1d4+5+1)
>>
>>54210756
>have one sitting in forge
>magical weapon, won't be destroyed/damaged
>suddenly fire damage
>>
How do I use the Charger feat? I imagine a single attack character obviously.
>>
>>54210756
Send long-distance messages by scratching messages on one axe. Set up ambushes by casting Catapult on one ace. Make optimal use of magical oils like Oil of Sharpness.

Anything that already affects both axes simultaneously, such as enlarging a guy carrying both axes, is in danger of causing an infinite loop. Both axes double in size, so as a result both axes double in size, etc.
>>
>>54211253
Spooky sharpening at a distance
>>
>>54211133
Spamming eldritch blast is going to get old fast (and people say martials' "I hit the thing" get dull), and it's likely your DM and possibly fellow players will get really annoyed with your "shenanigans".
>>
>>54211236
Not necessarily. Any normal-ass melee fighter without a high move speed will be happy to be able to join the fray a turn early. Often slow melee characters have to waste a turn or two just getting to the enemy.
>>
>>54211253
>Anything that already affects both axes simultaneously, such as enlarging a guy carrying both axes
Eh, it depends. You are taking to mean the spell hits both, while for me its a much simpler, the other is also increased to equal size. Even if you hit both, they just grow simultaneously to the expected double size.
>>
>>54211236
You pick the Mobile feat instead and do the same thing, but better.
>>
Anyone ever ran LMoP and then transitioned to SKT? Any tips?
>>
>>54211267
Spamming eldritch blast is the only thing warlocks can do though.
>>
>>54211192
What fire damage? +1 longswords don't deal fire damage... Flame Tongues deal fire damage but it's not 1d4, and they don't get other bonuses to hit or damage otherwise.
Unless you're homebrewing/going off 3.5/PF where a "+1 weapon" meant it had a lotta minor attributes...
>>
>>54211253
Well, it's likely that changes caused by the link alone don't echo back and cause a feedback loop. But still, casting Enlarge on a guy carrying both axes will cause both axes to quadruple in length and increase their weight by a factor of 64.
>>
>>54211267
He doesn't sound like an autist like you though.
>>
>>54211294
Dude, it's just a fucking 1d4 extra damage for the sake of a question. Don't think too much into it. My question was if that extrad damage die should get the bonus from a +1 weapon separately or not.
>>
Is there any reason to NOT play as a Half-Orc if you're gonna be a Champion Fighter?
>>
>>54211286
I'm actually in the process of doing that right now, my party just finished LMoP last week and tomorrow we start SKT. They are going to Triboar and they are using the money they have to fix up cragmaw castle and the money they get from wave echo cave to keep up maintenance on the castle.
>>
>>54211339
Yes.

Elven Accuracy.
>>
>>54211334
+1 generally just means 1 more damage overall.
>>
5etools is missing the +1 arrows for Arcane Archer Revised

Is there anything more missing on it?
>>
>>54211348
The idea of a swole af GWM Elf Champion 3/Barbarian or Barb 2/Champion RIP AND TEAR-ing (with extreme accuracy) is rather amusing.
>>
>>54211382
well this weapon specifically does 1d4 more fire damage
>>
>>54211340

Sweet. My game hasn't even started. It's my first time DM'ing and I'm still trying to master roll20, but since it IS my first time I decided to run pre-set adventures and SKT seems to have been designed specifically to accommodate a transition from LMoP.
>>
File: akooglyeyes.jpg (30KB, 1023x778px) Image search: [Google]
akooglyeyes.jpg
30KB, 1023x778px
>>54210756
Hide both axes in different locations. Go to a wizard and ask him to Locate Object one of the axes. Rob his house once he goes crosseyed
>>
>>54211382
Thank you.
>>
Noob fighter here, sorry for the question, but can I use action surge to attack again? So

Attack
Extra Attack
Action Surge attack

Or is it meant to do something like heal or casting a spell or whatnot
>>
>>54211193
Sounds good, bro. I'll try not to be annoying and play for the character and flavor.
We're all playing with a bunch of good friends.
>>
>>54211401
If you have extra attack, you can attack twice if you take the attack action, so:

Attack x2
Action Surge
Attack x2 again
Total attacks: 4
>>
>>54211348
>tfw this may be on XGE
That book is gonna be every munchkin's dream
>>
>>54211385
Barbarogue to get even more mileage out of that super advantage.
>>
>>54209904
Valor. But swift quiver will still have competition for bonus action slot.
>>
Is a Bare-handed Brawny Bear Barbarian Bugbear with Tavern Brawler viable with only the 1d4+5+Rage punches? I'll be wielding enemies as Improvised Weapons whenever possible too, since with 20str Bear Totem Brawny and Powerful Build you can bench press a car without exerting yourself.

(Goliath is what I'd actually play, which unfortunately doesn't start with B)
>>
>>54211441
>Barb 2 / Rogue 18 with elven accuracy
>Always has advantage, never has disadvantage
>can reroll any d20
>>
>>54211428
Holy shit, I thought extra attack could only be used once?

Also could I split it up like this:

Attack with cantrip
Action Surge: Attack
Extra Attack
>>
>>54211460
You can still have it canceled out to neutral, in which case accuracy turns off.q
>>
>>54211441
I still reckon Campion 5/Barbarian 2/Champion X is the best way to do it. You need the feat and the expanded crit range ASAP to be able to pull it off, and then you just need Barbarian for always advantage.

Rest of the Champion levels just for more attacks and eventually even better crit range.

>>54211438
I'm more worried they'll put out Elven Accuracy, and a new weapon with a 19-20 crit range.
>>
>>54211469
Yes
>>
>>54211388
It doesn't matter how many extra dice the weapon has on it. A +1 Greatsword doesn't get an extra +1 because it has 2 damage dice.
>>
>>54211477
HOLY FUCK

Does this mean at 20th level it could go like this

>Attack
>Extra
>Extra
>Extra
>Extra

>Action Suge: Attack
>Extra
>Extra
>Extra
>Extra

That's ten fucking attacks in one go
>>
>>54211479
I'm not the person asking the question, and I agree with you
>>
>>54211503
It's only 4 attacks, not five. But, yeah, you can attack 8 times with action surge at 20th level
>>
>>54211503
you only have 3 extra attacks at level 20, and action surge doesnt give you another bonus action. so you top out at 8, or 9 if you have a way to attack with your bonus action.
>>
>>54211503
extra attack3 is 4 total attacks, 1-4 is 1, 5-10 is 2, 11-19 is 3, 20 is 4.

You could add one more via a bonus action using light weapons, or with a feat, or a polearm backhand, but thats 9, you need haste for 10th.
>>
Is it possible to play an Oath of Conquest as LG or even LN? I'd really like to play one but my group doesn't enjoy Evil campaigns, and I don't wanna be that guy.
>>
>>54211469
rule of thumb action surge is just another turn essentially
>>
>>54209433
can you share your war rules senpai
>>
>>54211631
>rule of thumb action surge is just another turn essentially
No it isn't. It lets you take one additional action. No extra speed/movement, no additional bonus action, no additional reaction, and its the same turn, positively and negatively, for various effects.

That is the absolute worst description, and entirely misleading.
>>
>>54211474
Oh, don't get me wrong, it's good. At level 13 you'll be looking at a 61% chance of getting off your GWM Bonus Action attack.

But at best your crits are just going to be an extra d12 damage - the BA attack is where the damage of this build is going to be coming from compared to say a Battle Master.

And at the same level, a Barbarogue is going to have 25% chance of getting in a 2d8+10d6 critical.
>>
How would one go about starting OotA with a party that's already level 3? I'm not too worried about upscaling or anything, but actually getting a bunch of murderhobo's captured by Drow seems hard.

One idea was to literally just throw an overwhelming force of Drow with their sleep poisons at the party, and have them woken up chained and being taken to the city with near impossible chance of escaping then.
>>
File: 1377575410217.jpg (284KB, 1161x869px) Image search: [Google]
1377575410217.jpg
284KB, 1161x869px
Has anyone ever actually got to level 20?

Every campaign I play stops around level 12-13.

Lets face it, it gets boring playing gods Critical Role easily beating every normal threat.
>>
>>54211721
Are you throwing an established party into the adventure, or are you just starting at level 3?

The first can be accomplished by getting them to do some random ass quest in the underdark, only to get captured.

The latter doesn't even need explaining.
>>
>>54211658
>No extra speed/movement

you could use it to take the dash action, but that seems like a waste of an action surge most of the time
>>
>>54211730
Highest i got was 14, although we do plan on restarting that campaign eventually, we are giving the DM time to play in a new campaign in the meantime. Downside is i'll need to reroll, my characters story is pretty done and randomly adventuring again wouldn't feel right.
>>
>>54211610
Yes, LN seems easy actually
>>
Anyone got any general tips for running Curse of Strahd? I'm starting with Death House tomorrow. (Please don't mention the armor)
>>
>>54211737
The first. They've completed a small quest I made up, and Sunless Citadel. I was planning on having the town they're resting in attack at night from Drow that come from a tunnel in the Citadel that leads to the Underdark.

The other option's to lead them down there for some reason and have a patrol that was coming to do something with the Kobolds get the drop on them.

Maybe 15-20 Drow, with some strong ones and a Priestess with them. I highly doubt the party would be able to kill that many especially if they're tough... I suppose I can always modify it if they somehow win or get away.
>>
>>54211758
How would you go about it?
>>
So the party has a series of clues leading to the location of a hidden treasure. Unfortunately, they're interpreting these clues in entirely unexpected ways. I'm not sure what I should do in terms of nudging them back on the right track or simply changing stuff behind the scenes to make their interpretation correct.

These are the first few clues:

>The king that time forgot sat on his throne.
>I followed his gaze to the place where rocks wept.
>I followed the trail of tears until I reached the point of deepest despair.

They quickly realized that "the place where rocks wept" meant a waterfall, but they completely ignored the first clue, which would indicate *which* waterfall to look for. I expected them to do some research to figure out who the "king that time forgot" could be. Instead, they just decided to follow a nearby river hoping to find a waterfall at some point.

I resolved this first issue by having them randomly stumble across a castle while exploring, with a skeleton in king's garb sitting on the throne, looking out a window toward a waterfall. They still didn't get it, having completely forgotten the clue at this point (they were more worried the skeleton would come to life and attack them). Finally, I had to spell it out for them.

Now they've reached the waterfall. To me, "following the trail of tears" is pretty clear - "travel downriver from the base of the waterfall" But the party seems to think that it either meant a hidden passage behind the waterfall, or something upriver from the top of the waterfall.

Am I crazy? Are the clues really this obtuse? Should I just decide that whatever interpretation the party comes up with is correct and change my future plans?
>>
>>54207287
>>
>>54211774
Kobolds are Drow scouts, they often use lesser beings as fodder in their excursions. Play out an entirely normal dungeon via kobold lair, except the boss is a drow priestess+her entourage. It's not like they can feasibly win, and they've already made their way down the cave, so good luck escaping. Drow sleep poison should knock them out fairly quickly at level 3, and any that aren't can be allowed to fight until 0, which is capture.

If you somehow undertune it, or they win through miracles, they get attacked later in vengeance, for killing a priestess.
>>
>>54211774
No need to just use plain drow.
There's Drow Elite Warriors (CR5 apiece) and Drow Mages (CR7 apiece) so you might not even need a Priestess.
And you can also use Nezznar The Black Spider's stats (CR2) as a lesser drow mage.
>>
>>54211797
Puzzles are always more obvious to the DM.

The first bit sounds like a statue to me
Second could be a waterfall, but any flowing water that originates in the ground fits better.
I would look at the bottom of the river/lake/ocean beneath the waterfall.

Sure, your solution isn't entirely unfeasible, but its also far from obvious.

You also have some odd things like, the king no longer sits? Why the first person tense? Deepest despair is also awkward, and, considering you reference tears, could also point to the source of said tears.
>>
>>54208825

>Because when I was a Wizard I was doing fuck all

That seems more like a you problem than a problem with Wizards.
>>
>>54211866
The clues are written in first person because they're written by the guy who originally hid the treasure, detailing the route he took/

The "trail of tears" (river) will eventually lead to a lake. The deepest point of the lake is "deepest despair". I just felt that tears and despair went well together.
>>
>>54211922
But despair causes tears, and following the trail can just as easily refer to going to the source, rather than the end.

My point is, you have a destination in mind when reading/writing your puzzle, so it makes the most sense to you, even if other interpretations are equally valid.
>>
>>54210452
I'm honestly hoping Celestial Warlock goes through so I can make my gish guilt and/or bargain free.
>>
>>54211969
Right, which is why I'm wondering whether I should nudge the party more towards my intended solution or whether I should just accept the party's interpretation.
>>
>>54210859
Can't you take the average of the hit die by default?
>>
>>54210719
The 10th.
>>
>>54212006
Oh, that's simple, they don't find what they are looking for, but they find SOMETHING instead. Eventually, they can uncover more clues, and don't be afraid to ask for an intelligence check from a player to see if you think they should be able to fit things together when they find out they went the wrong way.

Essentially, let them follow their idea and encounter something interesting, but when they figure out it was wrong, ask the person you think most likely to roll a check, and give them additional hints based on the clues, like that following might well mean going down river.
>>
What kind of activities does 5eg like to do to keep yourself from falling asleep when your druid party member summons like 10 animals?
>>
>>54212137
Plan an "accidental" fireball.
>>
>>54212137
Why not discuss how you want to handle such things before hand? We had an agreement, for example, to only use summons for specific things, and to prefer single creatures to multiple.

It wasn't a hard rule, and we used a bunch of rats as a distraction, or threw summons into a room with a tough enemy a couple times, but it kept the game more enjoyable for everyone involved.
>>
>>54211775
Not the guy who originally replied, but I'd probably do it like, and forgive me if this actually applies to anyone, a bipolar dad and his children. Genial until the moment someone steps out of line with your rules, then you're their worst nightmare doing whatever it takes to bring them back in line:blackmail, threats, violence etc. That'd be reserved to people who have decided to follow you though. With your companions you'd be constantly vying for alpha dog status, but instead of lashing out when it doesn't happen you devote yourself to bettering yourself and showing that when they listen to you things go better.
>>
>>54212137
As a druid, I can't bring myself to summon more than 2 animals for combat. Ask your friend to do the same
>>
> Running Sentinel, Tunnel fighter, Blade Mastery
> Once someone enters my range they never escape
my oh my is this fun
>>
>>54212677
>tunnel fighter
Nice meme.

That shit was a mistake.
>>
>>54212677
replace blade mastery with polearm master for even more memes
>>
>>54212707
Using a sword and shield to jack up my AC
>>
>>54212717
well with polearm master they wouldnt get in range to even hit you until their next turn
>>
>>54212707
>>54212717
You're both wrong. You use a Greatsword with GWM and Blade Mastery because you get Advantage on all those attack rolls.
>>
quick rules thing I had a question about.

say hypothetically that i'm wielding a rapier in my main hand, and a hand crossbow in my offhand. I have the crossbow expert perk, and have extra attack (1).

Would I be able to attack twice with the hand cross bow, then use a BA to attack with it again?
>>
>>54212745
Wouldn't it be easier to just go as a Barb and reckless
>>
>>54212766
i dont think you can use reckless for opportunity attacks
>>
>>54212763
No, you need a hand free to reload the xbow between attacks.
>>
>>54212787
oh right, thought you were referring to attacks in general
>>
>>54212790
but crossbow expert says I ignore the loading quality of any crossbow I have equipped, so I should be able to multi-attack with it?
>>
>>54212878
You indeed ignore the Loading quality, and can therefore make multiple attacks with it.

But, as per the errata, you need a free hand in order to reload.

>Ammunition (p. 146). Loading a one-handed weapon requires a free hand.

So, put away the rapier (or shield, which would be more optimal if allowed) and you can use your hand crossbow to your hearts content.
>>
>>54204142
>>54204254
In the right campaign, BM ranger's alright. In the wrong campaign, Hunter is awful. It really is the whole ranger class.
>>54204381
>don't get 'better' teleport or 'better shadow stuff' ever.
Well, except for their better invisibility and ability to astral project, I guess. But don't let facts get in the way of your opinion, anon.
>>54204447
>Going MAD and dropping ASI for nothing because you'll have Empty Body anyway.
If the stats at least lined up, you could justify it early.
>>54204617
>if I never read up on it, I'm not going to talk like I'm informed.
This. I like this. Doesn't seem to stop anyone though.
>>54205127
>Crits at 19 are good.
Not really. Crits at 18, when you have Extra Attack (2), is usually your break even point.
>>54205377
BM is more dippable.
>>54205935
>Be an 8 Con elf monk
>Unless there's something I'm missing
No. Nothing important, I suppose.
>>54206126
>>54206153
Shadow monks learn Darkvision. All of them can see in the dark.
>>54206334
>Rolling for perception instead of using passive.
I feel for you.
>>54206351
This is WotC though. Faggotry probably is a way of life there, not just marketing strategy. It's similar to here in that way.
>>54208140
Urek Mazino? To a certain definition of 'innocents'.
>>
>>54212899
gotchya, so I could use my obj interaction to holster rapier, then shoot 3 times with my Hbow.

Or, I could attack two times with my rapier then shoot with the hbow as well? But then I would need to holster it by the end of my turn to "load it"... correct?
>>
>>54212947
Something like that but, honestly, juggling is a mess and the hand crossbow is the better weapon anyway from +2 to hit from Archery Fighting Style and later Sharpshooter.

So just stick to the HC.
>>
New thread:

>>54212971
>>54212971
>>54212971
>>54212971
>>54212971
>>
>>54212963
yeah I hear you. I just thought thematically it would be cool to have melee/ranged, like the bloodborne hunters.
>>
>>54208118
>My LITERALLY 8 int character
Sounds like 8 int player, too. I'm happy for you, but you do sound like an easily impressed hyperactive child.
>>54208385
I mean that dealing less damage than a level 1 barbarian gets you off.
>>54208366
Get a pair of sentient handguns and become Death the kid?
>crippling OCD.
Maybe stop at the handguns.
>>54208477
Plenty of new players hate the sorcerer experience and feel powerless, btw.
>>54208610
>Loving my sorcerer.
>now that I'm Sorc/Cleric,
Fuck you, kid.
>>54208786
>what sorc absolutely does better than wizard is direct damage.
It's called nova. Their direct damage isn't really better, but that's because it's not limited to direct damage. Whatever they spend their sorc points on. That's what they do better. It's a higher maximum output, but the same daily, at best. Wizards get a lot of more efficient or more effective spells that can throw that off.
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.