[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 67

File: Jason and the argonauts.jpg (71KB, 800x511px) Image search: [Google]
Jason and the argonauts.jpg
71KB, 800x511px
Spooky scary edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk
>>
First for Easterlings and god you have to love painting gold for these guys.
>>
Which games work best with MORE THAN 2 players?
>>
File: CODPIECE.jpg (46KB, 600x392px) Image search: [Google]
CODPIECE.jpg
46KB, 600x392px
>>54204082
Watcha building, watcha playing?
>>
>>54204333
Building Easterlings with scenic bases. play LotR battle companies.
>>
>>54204333
Working on a fishmen themed warband for a narrative campaign using SoBaH. The story is a deep empire is rising to flood the surface, and the other players build their own warbands of heroes in an effort to stop it from happening.

I'm experimenting with a cool rule to give the deep empire a little edge. All deep empire models will have the aquatic rule, and when I activate a deep empire personality I roll a d6 and place that many small water features on the table, either on a board edge, or connecting to another water feature, so as the game goes on, the board is slowly flooding. Either end the game or kill the personalities to stop the flooding. Still working on other campaign rules.
>>
File: 20170707_174651.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170707_174651.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>54204333
Building Flintloque, playing Sharp Practice.
>>
>>54204333
Contemplating wether or not I should do a radical warband for not a test.
>>
>>54204376
>Making awesome things and not posting pictures
What are you, some kind of heterosexual?
>>
>>54206808
how dare you sir?? i am of the flaming homosexual in nature. but seriously, i'll try and do some pics tomorrow. the threads not going to fill that quickly.
>>
>>54204333
Waiting for the dark elves I got on BlackTree's 4th of July sale. They're going in my ASoBaH army, and I'm super excited. I got the old Citadel Dark Elf painting guide off /wip/ that I plan on using that as a base.
>>
>>54206026
whats the basic scoop on flintloque? I've got in the neighborhood of 15 orcs with muskets and pikes I'd like to turn into a warband for something. was just gonna go asobh, but if flintloque isn't like a straight up historical in terms of model count maybe it's worth looking into?
>>
>>54204082
Prepping for the Mantic KoW Global Campaign in a few weeks.
>>
>>54204082

is my folder of Osprey books scary enough for you

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/08hq9c7x4clme/Documents
>>
Anyone have a PDF of Dystopian Wars 2.5?
>>
>>54204282
Frostgrave is pretty nice for multiplayer bashes, games get pretty chaotic quick. You only need to adjust the rules a tiny bit (we play with each player placing two treasures and one in the centre worth two roll on the table usually).

Double Tap by One Page Wargaming is also good for this, it's a very simplified version of Infinity.
>>
Anyone able to suggest a good rule system for something along the lines of Warmaster? I'd like to play a 6-15mm fantasy based game.

If Warmaster is my best bet, I'm good with that too but I just don't know where to look.
>>
>>54209935
Ral Partha Chaos Wars, or Kings of War with inches changed to cm.
>>
>>54209935
Pretty much just Warmaster, desu.
>>
Anyone have any experience with that Human Interface game? To be perfectly honest, I'm interested in the models more than the gameplay- the Hybrid models look pretty sweet in photos.
>>
>>54208701
Same, in the meantime also having a blast with Bolt action and the men who would be kings.
>>
>>54208537
Basically, it's Napoleonic small scale skirmish with some fantasy elements. In universe, magic is basically dead after Mordred, the Napoleon stand in, replaced it with black powder.

In game, guns are king, and unless you are playing with ogres or undead, chances are you won't be able to close in for melee. The rules also feel very dated, as they basically not been updated since the game came out.

Thats why I usually play with Sharp Practice, as it is a far easier game to run.
>>
>>54209935
Dragon Rampant actually seems pretty cool. I read through the rulebook and was really digging what I was reading.

But the SoBaH guy is designing a mass battles ruleset right now. I forgot what it was called though.
>>
>>54211980
SoBaH is becoming little be little the GURPS of wargames.
>>
>>54211199
>In universe, magic is basically dead
>not being able to play as a gunsmith mage

I'll pass.
>>
>>54204282
Pig Wars.
>>
File: 20170708_132430.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170708_132430.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>54204333
>Building
Some 40k scenery, specifically the shipping containers kit, need some scatter for a swamp encampment I'm making.
>Playing
Warzone: Resurrection! Just had my worst game of it yet today. Last stand mission, ambush and convergence deployment, I was the attacker, and I got fucked up like you wouldn't believe. Max Steiner is a god damn monster with the right cards. Here's a pic of the table we played on, got a very XCOM vibe going on, was pretty boss. A pity then that I lost so horribly, Rangers with missile launchers in commanding positions were more than able to blast away my forces. probably should have given the Mk.9s their SMGs.
>>
>>54204333
painting my Ion Age Prang raiders because the regulars are getting new releases next week.

Currently playing nothing ;_; but I plan to look into joining a nearby club in the near future.
>>
>>54213260
Either SoBaH or FiveCore, anyway.
>>
>>54204333
>Building
Nothing until my Ravenstar order turns up. The lack of a tracking number on a $100 order worries me intensely, but it has only been a week or so since it was posted and I know transatlantic postage can take up to 2 weeks...

>Playing
Nothing at the moment, my Full Thrust/Heavy Gear opponent is busy with shifts :(

So I'm just writing scenarios and background stuff for my campaign.
>>
File: 214986[2].jpg (101KB, 900x1273px) Image search: [Google]
214986[2].jpg
101KB, 900x1273px
Anybody got the pdf ?
>>
>>54209869
Both interesting suggestions!

>>54213670
Never heard of it before and I can't find much material online, is Ebay the ony way to get the rules?
>>
File: Das feel.png (421KB, 566x745px) Image search: [Google]
Das feel.png
421KB, 566x745px
>>54214000
>spoiler
Hey, thanks for posting my feel for me
>>
File: cookiemonster.gif (332KB, 520x375px) Image search: [Google]
cookiemonster.gif
332KB, 520x375px
I guess this is the best place to ask, since you guys are probably all invested in more than one game.

How do you guys divide your time between different projects usually?
Paint a whole army/warband for one game and then move on to the next or do you do a few models here and there and do whatever you feel like?

I feel like I'm hitting a wall in terms of motivation lately. Haven't painted a lot in the last 7 years, so I'm basically getting back in the saddle right now. I used to paint assembly line in batches of 10 or more.
I feel like I'd be more productive if I'd just paint one model at a time now. And I want to switch up more to stay motivated.

Painting big armies is one of the main reasons I kind of dropped out of the whole thing for a while.
So the idea of doing everything for one system/project before moving onto the next kind of sucks the fun out of it for me, I think.
Kind of boils down to having fun vs keeping track of things in a way.
>>
>>54209935
Google Warmaster Revolution
>>
>>54218534
Make a list of the models you need to paint.
Group them by system, army and unit (add or remove as appropriate).
Write/print that out and stick it over your desk.

Then pick six of your models that you are most looking forward to painting, write those out.
Stick that piece of paper over that depressingly long list.

When you've painted four of those six, make a new shortlist, stick the new list over the old list, to track both your successful painting and which models sit on shortlists too long.
>>
>>54218534
I generally view painting stuff as such;

> Painting rank-and-file goons is boring because it's repetitive
> Painting more unique models (characters, vehicles, monsters etc.) is more fun because you can be more creative

So I use the latter as a 'reward' for finishing the former, i.e. if I get 5 goons painted then I can paint a cool standard bearer or something.
>>
>>54210629
>I'm interested in the models more than the gameplay
Same desu - sadly true with most boardgames with miniatures. Don't really give a shit about Zombicide, but has some nice minis. I even got the Monty Python's Holy Grail figures for shits 'n giggles.
>>
>>54211199
What's a standard game size, models wise?
>>
>>54218534
This is why I like skirmish games. Your list is like 6-20 models, usually without a ton of repeats. Lots more fun and manageable, but the obvious downside is finding people to play with if you don't have a crew, or you move
>>
Does anyone have PDFs for Frostgrave expansions after Thaw of the Lich?
>>
File: Warhammer_d4e07f_5847907.jpg (240KB, 512x640px) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer_d4e07f_5847907.jpg
240KB, 512x640px
I'm looking to expand from my safe bubble of GW games but not sure where to go (all WM, Infinity and Malifaux look good) and am wondering if there are any alternative games I should consider.
>>
>>54223308
What do you like setting wise, and what do you enjoy wargame based? GW games tend to be clunky, there are a lot of other systems than play faster and are simpler, while other are a bit more bizantine but integrate cool stuff well.
>>
File: tumblr_m4j033XucV1qhslato1_1280.jpg (186KB, 640x434px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m4j033XucV1qhslato1_1280.jpg
186KB, 640x434px
>>54223407
I have enjoyed previously fielding unwiedly armies in 40k and old fantasy but want to move to a more intimate and smaller game style. Setting wise I like grimdark (40k, mad max) blanche style (see picture) but also wouldn't mind something on the opposite side of the spectrum.
>>
>>54223563
Malifaux is probably what you are looking for out of what you mentioned. The individual models have a lot of character, and their rules have a lot of flavor. It is as intimate as you want. Setting wise, while it has tons of scary shit murdering people in the middle of the night, it is more heroic than grimdark.
>>
>>54223909
Thanks anon, I was considering malifaux but the card thing sounded odd to me but I'll have another good look at it.
>>
>>54223985
The card aspect is generally just resource management, but at the same time using a deck of cards makes the game much less swingy. You are generally going to go through an entire deck in a turn, and as there are only so many high and low cards you will see the whole range so you won't just be screwed over by bad shuffling.
>>
>>54223563
You might like Beyond the Gates of Antares. It's a recent sci-fi game written by Rick Priestly, but that's really all it has in common with 40k since much of the setting revolves around humanity exploring and advancing and generally making things better for themselves. There's only one faction (the Ghar) which tends towards grimdark. The gist of the setting is that thousands of years ago humanity discovered a gate at the edge of our solar system which linked up to a gigantic nexus of other gates. Consequently humanity spread all throughout these gates and colonised their way across the galaxy. The nexus (Antares) occasionally collapses though, cutting all these colonies off from each other and essentially forcing planets to fend for themselves every few thousand years while it regenerates, which means that different empires emerge every time, and some planets regress back to the Stone Age while others continue to advance. The end result is a setting similar to 40k in the sense that it's wide and varied enough to accomodate most kinds of stories.

As far as the game itself goes, it mostly focuses on short-medium range firefights between a few small squads of guys and the occasional tank, with even basic weapons being deadly and long-ranged enough that cover is a very pressing concern. It also has some neat mechanics (although these mechanics aren't unique to this game) concerning the order in which units act and the ability of units to react to other units' actions.
>>
>>54224108
Yeah it's rare to see games that drift from the you act, I act game style and most are better of without it.
>>
>>54224149
IGOUGO needs to die.
>>
>>54218637

Not that anon, but thanks for the tip: will check it out.
>>
>>54226579
Seriously, what is this? Every time I ask, I always get a different answer. Likely what your answer is will be similar to another guy's answer, but different from everyone else's.

It's like trying to pin down what 'SKIRMISH' means. It's a different definition for everyone.
>>
>>54228406
>IGOUGO
I go, you go.
Turn based games with alternating activation.
this anon advocates using different activation schemes in games, like a blind draw from a bad like in Bolt Action or Gates of Antares or a switch of initiative upon a failed activation like in Rogue Stars or a whole bunch of historical games.

Skirmish in my book means any game with a scope of around a maximum of 30 minis/units. Bigger than that and you get into wargame territory.
If you activate groups of models instead of single models you can still use a lot of minis in a game with a comparatively small scope in terms of rules upkeep.
One is a question of scope, which is admittedly somewhat more fluent, the other is something very specific, i.e. the method of activation.
>>
>>54228406

>Seriously, what is this? Every time I ask, I always get a different answer.

How can you get different answers?
The entire definition is in the fucking name.
Like >>54228488 said:
First one side makes all it's moves - then the other.
Usually firing and melee for both sides are thrown in after each side's move, but the principle's the same.

The best example would be a THW's description I read on the forum:
You're sitting in your living room, watching TV - when suddenly a thief enters, steals said TV in front of your face, and gets out of dodge.
And you can't do jack shit 'cause it's not your fucking turn to move.

For the worst example of this kind of shit, take a look at Warmahordes or 'One Hour Wargames'.
>>
>>54228488
>>54228625
Those are nice definitions and all, but again, I have heard them before, as well as many other explanations from different sources giving different ones.

We don't have an official dictionary for these terms, so they are going to vary from persona to person, community to community, game to game. This is why I don't use terms like 'skirmish' or 'igougo', I describe things like "generally 5 to 20 models per player, each acting independently" vs "30-60 models per player, acting in units". Or in the case of turn sequence I will say "one player takes a turn activating all their models, then gets passed to next player" vs "one player activates a mode/unit, then the opponent does one, then back and forth".

So whenever someone says "its a skirmish game" or "it uses igougo", I ignore that part and probe further for descriptions, because I have seen plenty of fights, especially on 4chan, over misunderstandings on a game and arguing what type of game it is, even thought they both agree with each other and they don't realize it.

>You're sitting in your living room, watching TV - when suddenly a thief enters, steals said TV in front of your face, and gets out of dodge.
And you can't do jack shit 'cause it's not your fucking turn to move.
That's a gross exaggeration. That more describes "your opponent takes 2 or 3 turns in a row before you get to do anything". What you guys describe as "igougo" would more be like All robbers break into house, then all people in house react to it, then all robbers do their action, and so on.
>>
>>54228871

>What you guys describe as "igougo" would more be like All robbers break into house, then all people in house react to it, then all robbers do their action, and so on.

That part depends on the movement-to-action scale, tbqh & imho.

If a single action enables you to move clear across the fucking table - or there is so little miniatures involved in the game that an alphastrike is insta-win (i.e. 'robber' example) - then that kind of IGOUGO is definitely cancer and should be terminated with extreme prejudice.

OTOH, splitting a movement into a shitload of smaller actions (aka 6" moves) - which is more reasonable for a IGOUGO game - creates a looong game (even with a few minis) which is impossible to finish in less than four hours.

So, yeah, imho IGOUGO deserves to die a slow and painful death. (preferably by tearing it's heart out with a wooden cooking spoon)
>>
>>54228959

OTOH, IGOUGO can work for the Mass-Battle games, IMHO.

And, before you ask:
Any player/commander can realistically control up to about 20 'units' in battle.
The only difference, imho, between a Skirmish and Mass-Battle is that, in Skirmish, 1 'unit' = 1 figure & in Mass-Battle, 1 'unit' = 2 or more figures 'working' as one.

Since Mass-Battle is all about Command&Control, it's natural that some enemy attacks will go in unopposed & unanswered by supporting units - as it takes time to react/send orders to other units.
>>
>>54229141
For mass battles I prefer what Armies of Arcana did - roll for initiative, winner moves all his units first, then the other player does, shooting and melee is simultaneous. My biggest annoyance with Warhammer and derivaties is that there's two melee phase per turn, making shooting somewhat redundant.
>>
>>54229187

That's my preference, too.
Although, initiative winner can, IMHO, also be determined by one side giving up the initiative. (a.k.a.: initiative is rolled only if both sides want to go first)
Another favorite of mine is: each 'movement' (like yours) can be done with any amount of units, but each unit gets to move only once per turn, and both sides keep alternating until all units are moved - or until they don't want to move any more units.

Other than that, you've only got Variable Length Bound - but that's complicated as all hell.

Naturally, at 'skirmish' scale I prefer THW's 'reaction system' to anything else.
Sadly, it doesn't work so well for the 'Mass-Battle' scale. (all attempts at conversions were failures)
>>
File: goa freeborn wip00.jpg (183KB, 2000x594px) Image search: [Google]
goa freeborn wip00.jpg
183KB, 2000x594px
currently painting my first Gates of Antares minis.
I feel like I may have to push the red a little further looking at the pics.
The reason I posted was because I'm not sure what to do with the bases yet and I'm not sure I like the ice grey for the weapons.
Originally I thought it would be nice to have the weapons stand out a bit, but now I'm contemplating painting the weapon casings in ivory white too.

Thoughts?
Open to any suggestions for basing too.
My first thought was tundra with wildflowers or something, but now i'm thinking maybe snow?
>>
>>54229187

I still don't get why Armies of Arcana isn't BTFO of 9th Age, Kings of War AND Age of Sigmar.

It's literally all that WHFB should've been.
>>
>>54229830
The red could stand another highlight, sure, but it's clearly to an acceptable tabletop standard.

Assuming second-from-left is almost finished, the colour scheme works for me.

Basing is, as ever, to taste.
Tundra sounds cool though.
>>
>>54230008

>isn't
*hasn't

oops - sorry.
>>
>>54230008
>>54230276
Sadly it's not supported, their forum doesn't work...but yeah, it's a really solid system.
>>
>>54230008
Can somebody toss up a pdf? I'd like to have a look before I buy
>>
>>54214000
Finally settled on an easy but (imo) effective scheme. R8 my goon, lads.
>>
>>54230703
also pls do not r8 my photography, I am aware that it is rubbish
>>
>>54230703
Looks crisp and good, especially for that looks like 15 or 10mm. I'd maybe do the eye lenses in another color or hazard stripes on the gun for a highlight, but that's up to taste.
>>
>>54229141
Pretty much. I find myself not minding 40ks long turns as much because both sides abide by the same rules, in which case the game has its own flow. It's just longer than some people prefer.
>>
>>54223909
Malifaux actually sounds good, I should check it out
>>
>>54230008
>>54229187
I preferred Wargods order system for mass battles of ranked up units
>>
>>54230008
Is it also a rank and file game? That's one thing I could never warm up to, even though I know so many prefer it, especially historical players.

Whfb was fine but the way units moved felt so artificial. When 2 units clashed there was no organic movement representing them piling in to each other. KoW to me is the worst offender, as models are not removed to represent casualties. It's just immersion breaking for me. I know KoW players love it, for several good reasons, but I just can't get over it.
>>
>>54231367
I see what you mean about the goggles, I might try green for a nice complementary colour.
>>
File: goa freeborn wip01.jpg (195KB, 2000x609px) Image search: [Google]
goa freeborn wip01.jpg
195KB, 2000x609px
>>54229830
>>54230273
Thanks for the input. Went ahead and painted the weapon casings all in blue.
I think I like it.

Only gotta do the a few additional highlights, implants, hair and bases now.
>>
>>54234802
If only the weapons were separate, these would do fucking awesome postapoc raiders.
>>
>>54234873
Yeah, they'd definitely fit the bill.
I bought a box of celtic warriors from warlord too. I plan on kitbashing them with the concord from the starter set to make more ferals.
Pretty sure that would work for post apoc guys too. The celts are basically naked or wear pretty universal cloths minus a few mail shirts and have empty hands. Provided you got some weapons they'd be easy to convert.

I recently also stumbled over the range by 4em miniatures. This guy and a few others was featured in the This is Not a Test rulebook.

Now that you say it, they would probably make great ferals for GoA too...
>>
>>54234974
Yeah, but they are so bent forward they seem like they are ready for a long-ass buttfucking session.
>>
>>54234991
The celts?
Yeah they are leaning quite a bit.
But I figure if I use the Concord legs the posture will be easily fixed. To carry the theme of the metal figures over I'm also gonna sculpt some of the rags around their mid section too.
The models themselves have a balljoint at the hip too. I haven't put any of them together yet, but I figure that it also depends on how you put them together.

Warlord also have a pretty nice warband of woodland indians in metal. Those would make great conversion fodder for post apoc games too I think.
Or the married zulu warriors if you want plastic.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this after Fury Road came out.
>>
>>54233552
Those 20 models are not literally representing 20 individuals. Its an abstraction.

Also it would be completely impractical for units to pile into each other like that, it would take twice as long to play and lead to lots of broken models.
>>
>>54235080
They also sell a box of Woodland Indians in plastic which should be far easier to convert. (originally designed by Wargames Factory).
>>
>>54233552
>Casualties not removed
>ogres with multipoint health values are injured but not removed
>Monster units not removed
>Wants realism in wargame
>units don't die from starvation
>units are not affected by time spent marching or moving or being far from home from loved ones
>Thinks AoS is just fine
Hey guys, I found the Monopoly fan in the thread!
>>
>>54235954
Just in the interest of fairness, anon did not *actually* make some of those claims.
>>
>>54235089
40k and AoS do it just fine. I'm not even being ironic, the game plays smooth enough in that aspect
>>
>>54235089
Also in WHFB it is not uncommon for a unit to take 50-100% casualties in close combat.

Compare this to real battles and that almost never happens, the vast majority of casualties occur after one side has already broken.
>>
>>54236845
Guess it's a lot less common in WAB where not every second unit is fearless, or instead of breaking it just evaporates or something that negates that long-ass section on morale.

Also, a figure removal could mean men routing, men getting wounded and escorted to the back, etcetera etcetera.
>>
>>54230703
Changed the goggles to green and added some armour markings in yellow to make him look a bit more rogueish and piratey.

Also tremble in fear as my shitty photography is compounded by even shittier lighting.
>>
Does anyone have a scan of the KoW Historical book?
>>
>>54237183
/hwg/ has one I think.
>>
>>54230703
looks good
>>
>>54204082
Where are those skeletons from, i want to make them mine
>>
>>54237178
Looks fun and like getting in the googles is a pain in the butt. I would keep about that level of pirate flash personally so they don't look too much like an explosion at a paint factory, but I'd have to see a squad of them on a table to be sure.

Also the face seems like you could do a good wut?.jpg reaction face with it.
>>
>>54237486
http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/o/otherworldMiniatures/undead

>>54236140
True - but they can be inferred, nicht war?
>>
>>54237730
The 'AoS is fine' one was a bit of a stretch.
>>
>>54237552
Yeah I'm deliberately limiting myself to 1-2 yellow bits per model to keep things tasteful.
>>
>>54214000
If you are in the UK, you have no excuse.
Try starting up a 15mm scifi game in the middle of the USA, then you can whine.
Good luck, anon!

>>54237730
you know Otherworld has its own store, right?
>>
>>54239815
I know there's a club in my city but I'm gonna be away a lot this month so I'm gonna wait 'till things are back to normal before getting in touch with them.
>>
>>54239815
No - I did a Google image search, and Paizo was the first result. I am almost as lazy as the other anon.
>>
>>54218534

I can't stomach a 10-man assembly line, I do 3-5, depending on the size of the unit and how much colour-variation there is. I watch miniature painting videos on youtube to keep me interested and inspired to work. Seeing the crazy setups some bloggers have also inspires me to work
>>
File: anvil Rmechpaint1-800x500.jpg (64KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
anvil Rmechpaint1-800x500.jpg
64KB, 800x500px
Has anyone played Afterlife, the game by Anvil Industries?
Kind of wondering what it is like.
>>
>>54245056
I played an early playtest version, it had really good if complex blind deployment where things set up as tokens until observed.
>>
>>54245602
>it had really good if complex blind deployment where things set up as tokens until observed.
That sounds like a cool idea.
May have to give the rules a read.
>>
>>54245715
It also uses similar firefights as Force on Force/Tomorrow's War - unit A shoots at unit B, they both roll for reaction, and the winner shoots first, then the other.

We had a demo table of it at last year Games Day, I only painted the Council starter from the first KS, I'll dig them up and take some pics.
>>
File: dag001_pathtoglory.jpg (134KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
dag001_pathtoglory.jpg
134KB, 600x600px
Who here plays Dark Age? It looks alright, seen a couple videos on it and the minis are great.
>>
>>54247685
I never seen it played in any shop, but the setting and minis are cool, I specially like the elemantals.
>>
>>54228488
>>54228959
>>54229302
It depends a lot on the game. IGOUGO isn't my first choice, either, but it has its strengths. A big one is that, when built properly, an IGOUGO system can play really fast. Kings of War exploits this structure, allowing one player to rapidly make all his moves with no interruptions (with a few other efficiencies) to play what is essentially a game of Warhammer Fantasy in 1/4 - 1/3 of the time.

More complex activation / initiative systems have their advantages, but they also bring a certain amount of additional complexity and time to the game. To justify that overhead, there is a burden on them to make the game proportionally deeper and more interesting, or to bring an equal level of improvement to other parts of the engine. Certainly that's possible, but it's not a given by any means.

>>54228625
>For the worst example of this kind of shit, take a look at Warmahordes
You think WMH is the WORST example of an IGOUGO game? What rock have you been living under? Just looking at my gamebooks on the shelf, I doubt it's even Top 50.

Hell, WMH might be one of the better examples for why some games should be IGOUGO... the MTG-esque mechanical combinations that are a big part of that game's appeal couldn't really work any other way.
>>
>>54249556
>Kings of War exploits this structure

A big difference between KoW's system and WHFB's is that on your turn, you are the only one doing any rolling. This contrasts with WHFB where you have to wait for the other guy to make armour saves/dispel rolls/his half of close combat.

I believe in some tournaments for KoW they actually use chess clocks to keep things moving.
>>
Whilst we're talking of turn systems, has anybody tried turning 40K into an alternating activation system as opposed to IGIOUGO? I haven't played 40K since like 5th ed but it seems like it would be easy enough to do.
>>
>>54249690
No, but I'd say go for it. Only thing that'd need tweaking is melee I think, as there could be lots of melee phases per turn, even for a single unit (gets charged by 2-3 enemy units, has to fight those melees again and again).
>>
>>54249524

Mind telling me a tidbit about the setting anon?
>>
>>54249613
>A big difference between KoW's system and WHFB's is that on your turn, you are the only one doing any rolling
Yeah, 100%. If anything, it's KoW committing to the IGOUGO structure fully that makes it play so much faster. That's the point I was making. Every time control switches in a game, it adds to the playtime. That's a cost that, as a designer, you need to justify.

IGOUGO's fundamental simplicity is its biggest strength.
>>
>>54249690
For smaller games I could see the 'pick a die out of a bag' thing from Bolt Action/Antares working.
>>
>>54249690
Someone posted a pdf for that about a week ago in /40kg/, nobody there cared about it and nobody would ever touch houserules in 40k. I wouldn't either because it will most likely raise other problems and the activation really isn't my main issue with the game. The main problems are the general design directives, which are "sell a lot of marines" and "fuck balance".
>>
>>54249773
>That's a cost that, as a designer, you need to justify.
In the case off GW games armors saves for 'your dudes' add suspense and a sense of agency, even in your opponents turn.
If the game plays faster in general you don't have to worry that much about engaging the other playing during his off time.

It's one of the most interesting areas of game design imo.
People often forget that you are not just crunching numbers, but designing an experience too when creating a game.
>>
>>54249884
>In the case off GW games armors saves for 'your dudes' add suspense and a sense of agency, even in your opponents turn.
I'd argue that it's not enough. It's one of my primary complaints with classic WHFB - the armor save mechanic pads out the play time, but doesn't actually add any meaningful decisions.

And that's also the big draw of alternating activation systems and complex action / reaction queues - when done right, they can add a ton of interesting decisions.

Of course, if done wrong, they can add time and complexity for no tangible benefit. As I said above, I don't love IGOUGO, but it certainly has its place.
>>
Never seen Claymore Castings before. They have some really great sculpts.
>>
>>54250081
i would add it's not only about alternating rolling, which does have some emrits as the other anon said. Warhammer rewuires three rolls just for one successful attack, many games drop it down to two, i believe if it was two rolls one"attack" roll and a save roll rolled by the defender the game wouldn't feel so sluggish.
>>
File: Futurenazi.jpg (49KB, 600x959px) Image search: [Google]
Futurenazi.jpg
49KB, 600x959px
Are there any skirmish games that include or could easily include future Nazis. Anything from near future to space.

Part of me wants to fight Nazis on the Moon.
>>
>>54252195
With everything ignoring armor, it's not TOO big of a problem. Loved it how everyone cried when I had 2+ AS Bretonnian Knights, but they either always had at least Strenght 5, or simply ignored armor altogether...

>>54252413
Define future Nazi.
>>
>>54252413
five core obviously.
>>
File: Drunk Spaniard brain bug.jpg (94KB, 960x864px) Image search: [Google]
Drunk Spaniard brain bug.jpg
94KB, 960x864px
>>54251914
Seems historical enough, tough the weapons are a bit wonkey.
Also one of the drunk spaniards is making Starship Trooper bugs.
>>
>>54252413
basically any generic modern/SF system.
>>
>>54252455
Nazis but somehow existing in the future.

I just want guys in coal buckets and cool uniforms who want to take over the world but sci-fi.
>>
File: Untitled.png (775KB, 1178x696px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
775KB, 1178x696px
>>54237178
I now have a fireteam of mooks.
>>
>>54252592
>Seems historical enough, tough the weapons are a bit wonkey.
The spear is a piece of wire.
They also have a bunch of knights with open hands for polearms, with a bit of effort you could give them swords and shields too to make the poses work.
And some pretty awesome men at arms with axes.

I really like the models, though.

Nice find on the Starship Troopers stuff.
>>
>>54245602
>>54246983

sounds like "Ultimate" (3E) Warzone, which I loved. will check this out
>>
>>54252698
Looking swell anon
>>
File: happyghost.png (28KB, 500x223px) Image search: [Google]
happyghost.png
28KB, 500x223px
>>54255423
>>
>>54252698
They are kinda of cute, what are they?
>>
>>54255958
15mm Prang Raiders from Ion Age.

Basically space-gorilla-frog-pirates.
>>
>>54247685
I've got 2 500 pts. forces sitting and waiting to be assembled.

>>54249738
The new edition would actually work really well. Charging and fighting are 2 separate phases now, and combat is set up in an alternating system already. I think you could easily convert it to a LotR style system and it would work fine.
>>
>>54249761
Basically, its set on a crappy backwaters planet or Samaria. Humanity settled it and corporations were using it as a testing site for illegal research. When the jig was up, they pulled out and abandoned the worker on the planet. Its now 100 years later.

For factions, you have:
The Forsaken - The bulk of the humans left behind, they have formed a religious order where living heroes called Saints lead their forces.

The Outcasts - Humans that live outside of the Forsaken's main city, in the wastelands. They recently had a new subfaction added that is lead by Muad'dib.

The Skarrd - Tribes of psychotic cannibal raiders that live in the wastelands. A rogue Saint has joined them and now leads a cult of body-modification.

The Brood - Just got an update to the rules on Friday, they are leftover bioweapons being researched by the corporations before they abandoned the planet. They are hard muthafuckas to kill.

The Dragyri - Long before the humans came, the planet was home to the Dragyri. They used to be an advanced race, until the warrior slave caste over-threw the masters. Now they are much more primitive. They have several sub-factions that focus on elemental orders.

The CORE - Killer robots. When research was still being done, a new power source was discovered from stolen alien tech that ran on life force. After Samaria was abandoned, the robots sat around until the mainframe was reactivated. Now they go around harvesting people's life force to create more robots.

Kukulkani - Aztec aliens. They visited Earth is the past and took a selection of followers with them. Now, thousands of years later, they have come to Samaria. The life-force batteries that the CORE use are based off of Kukulkani technology, so they've come to investigate and find out who's using their technology.
>>
>>54256036
>you could easily convert it
But I don't want to, I was just giving ideas to the other anon.
>>
>>54252698
I love those, they look like they belong in the background of a Star Wars cantina or something.
>>
>>54256075
Just saying, the new edition makes it easy.
>>
>>54228871
I've always seen the activations described as such:

IGOUGO - One player takes their entire trun, moving and taking actions with all of their models, and then the next player takes their entire turn. This is what is seen in 40k and Warmahordes.

Alternating Activation - Players go back and forth activating a single model/squad at a time. This would be your Warzone Resurrection, Heavy Gear and Malifaux.

Random - This is where playera don't have any set "well now it has to be my turn." This is your Bolt Action and Gates of Antares style.

Then you have the other systems. MERCS has each model roll initiative at the start of the turn, X-Wing has its pilot skills, Wargods lets the player with initiative choose any unit on the table and make it activate.
>>
File: Warrior of the squashed face.jpg (212KB, 869x920px) Image search: [Google]
Warrior of the squashed face.jpg
212KB, 869x920px
Bump
>>
>>54252413
>Part of me wants to fight Nazis on the Moon.
>tfw still angry about how short a time you spent outside on the moon in the new order
>you got to shoot like five drones and fuck-all nazis
>still a glorious game
>>
>>54257919
Sure. And then you have the various initiative activation models like Warmaster, that are usually sorta like alternating activation with more conditions / flexibility. But you about summed it up.
>>
>>54252592
Is this a scale model of doogie houser psychically communicating with the brain bug?
>>
Anyone got a .pdf of mayhem?
>>
The guy working on the Full Thrust stuff here, I need a third faction, a properly evil one. The space elves are, after all, just an ordinary warlike empire that can be brought to the diplomacy table and even waifu'd if you don't mind dating a 3d CLAMP character.

But what could be more fucked up? I'm currently thinking of a race that decided they were too superior for mundane life, sick of all the "annoyances" in the universe, so built AIs to keep their society running and travel around as passengers on robotic colony ships that stripmine planets to sustain themselves.

They do not give a fuck where they go, or who their AIs declare war on, because those are mundane concerns in the way of their finding enlightenment.

I just like the idea of what seems to be a classic rogue AI is actually working as intended, but was built by a species that gives no fucks about anything except their own peace, quiet and solitude.

...they're alien hikikomori and that's pretty amusing to me.
>>
>>54267375
Reminds me of the fluff for the Combined Army in Infinity; some dudes built a supercomputer to figure out how to transcend to a state of pure energy, it did so then decided that its masters weren't worthy of the knowledge and ascended itself.

So they built another one which thought the same way they did, this one couldn't figure out the answer so decided it needed to increase its computing power and the easiest way to do so was to conquer the frickin' galaxy.
>>
>>54267375
Vogons. They're just trying to do their bloody jobs and you sorry lot have had three thousand years to tell the planners that you don't want your galactic arm turned into a hyperspace bypass, it's too late to moan about it now. No, fuck's sake, stop shooting the bulldozer, it's... really? Grow up. You can't stop progress. We're building a bypass here.
>>
>>54267721
The other alien faction I created were Vogon/Brazil style bureaucrats in space elf form, because elven craftsmanship applied to bureaucracy seemed horrifying
>>
15% OFF Discount Code:

INVASIONOFBRITAIN

Applies to Warlord Games products only.
One use per customer. Expires 6th August 2017.
>>
>>54252413
Try any weird ww2 game (sotr, k47 etc)and remove any fantasy parts such as zombies vampires etc to your taste.
>>
>>54252592
Looks like the old starship troopers game will be playable again, better buy up the old rulebooks before they go up in price.
>>
>>54218534
I try to make sure not to put any arbitrary deadlines for my work, since it kinda kills my motivation if I feel forced to do it. Otherwise I'm usually going by what I feel like painting at the moment
>>
>>54268362
Thanks anon, I kept eyeing an Easy Eight but this pushed me to purchase
>>
>>54270700
There is also a 10gbp coupon at /hwg/, this might give you a bigger discount than the 15%.

£10 OFF Discount Code:

JULYFREE10-eb3aastc
>>
File: Mom not-starship-troopers.jpg (146KB, 1315x640px) Image search: [Google]
Mom not-starship-troopers.jpg
146KB, 1315x640px
>>54266287
Probably.
I think he wants to do a Kickstarter for them, and I fear so little people will fund it, thus breaking his little autist hearth.
>>
>>54270761
Oh this fucking fucker, fucking fuck. I've settled to 15mm as to play Starship Troopers with (got basically every book for the wargame), but if we're headed to this direction, I'll grab some stuff in 28mm instead.
>>
File: Mom miniaturas Mech.jpg (83KB, 960x768px) Image search: [Google]
Mom miniaturas Mech.jpg
83KB, 960x768px
>>54271248
The bugs look extra squishable, less cool than the movie ones but they weird me out more.
Also he is making anime girls and Titanfall mechs next.
The absolute madamn, does he made even money or simply does what he likes.
>>
>>54271552
>does he made even money or simply does what he likes.
i don't think anybody gets into making miniatures expecting to become a millionaire.

Considering how often people mention Starship Troopers casually in conversation around here or even look for the old miniatures from the game I could see a market for these though.
>>
>>54271626
I dunno, the power armored ones (the smallish ones specially) look a bit wonky, and he hasn't put anything like the Mobile infantry from the movies.
>>
Anyone knows a release date for Mantic's Warpath GCPS models? I want to try the game and eventually get into it, but with no models on the shop I'm kinda shy of moving forward.
>>
>>54272825
The Power Armoured guys are Edge of Tomorrow inspired I think. Also he did preview some grunt greens at one point.
>>
>>54272905
I didn't see it one. Sweet.
>>
>>54272945
It's from a while ago, like March or something.

MoM's scheduling is basically non-existent.
>>
>>54272993
I'm still waiting for their mounted sergeants.
>>
>>54272993
I see, fucker can be so fast for soem things and so slow for otehrs. Gotta love him, you never now what will he make next. I'm still puzled about the big demon portal thing.
>>
File: northstar witch.jpg (147KB, 637x800px) Image search: [Google]
northstar witch.jpg
147KB, 637x800px
>>
>>54252592
Which drunk spaniard is this from?
>>
>>54274853
MoM
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-12-01-02-08.png (655KB, 1200x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-12-01-02-08.png
655KB, 1200x1920px
That Ruined Hamlet is never coming back in stock.

Shame, it suits everything from Fantasy to WW2.

What am I missing with these trees though? £20?
>>
>>54275325
Buying trees is a scam at almost any price anyway when you can make your own easily out of clump foliage/flock and any fine branches you find on the ground.
>>
Has anyone bought thunderbolt miniatures wood elves? I like their design but I have no idea how varied are the poses, if the 30mm is at scale with other 28mm minis and how easy are to do conversions.
>>
>>54278811
...or cheaply in bulk from Aliexpress.
>>
File: Store-Pictures-file_high-res-04.jpg (204KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Store-Pictures-file_high-res-04.jpg
204KB, 500x500px
Anyone want GENERIC NEAR FUTURE FPS mechs and AFVs in 6mm?

https://ns-games.com/product-category/black-earth-6mm/

>get ready for Titanfall, pilot

And on that subject I really want to try and play Battlefield style control point objectives in a minis game...
>>
>>54275325
>That Ruined Hamlet is never coming back in stock.
Really? Or is that hyperbole?
>>
>>54280437
I like the look of the mech at least.
>>
Tried out Horizon Wars last night with a guys Epic Titan models.
Pretty fun and simple, but it got a bit grindy towards the end when both sides were pretty damaged. Apparently it's mostly supposed to be played with objectives though?
>>
>>54282124
The Adventure missions are what make it work, they give you a strict timer to get shit done. There's a file floating about called New Adventures that's worth finding, it might be on Precinct Omega still.
>>
>>54275325
It will come back one day.

Having it "out of stock" makes them potential sales every day, so they have no reason not to sell it.

Its just that their molds are worn out (which happens from time to time with all injection molds) and since they cast in 3rd party companies (italeri and renedra) they probably have to wait for their turn and then the tool makers (usually just 1 guy for every 10 injection molding machines, at least thats the rough rule at playmobil when i worked there a couple of years ago) will fix the molds and then they return into the production cycles.
>>
So I've been hearing a lot about Saga. Apparently it has a fanatical small following. Can anyone summarize it for me? How it plays, what it's best at, the story, etc.

And does anyone have the rulebook PDF?
>>
>>54284598

/hwg/ has all the Saga rules. Since it's historical it doesn't really have a story.

You're best off asking there what it's like since quite a few people play it.
>>
>>54284598
Its historical in its setting, but its very far on the "game" side of things. Not a "dark-age-simulation" at all.

Its a kinda fast paced skirmisher and offers an interesting mechanic with the different battle boards for each faction.

The story is up to yourself. Do you like the idea of having a warband of vikings or any other dark age (there is also an crusades era spinoff game) faction? You can make up your own stories, campaigns etc. Or just play pickup games without any further narrative background for your forces.

But as >>54284882 already said, check /hwg/ for the pdfs and further infos if you need them.
>>
>>54284882
>>54285055
Oh, it's historical? Nevermind then.
>>
>>54285546
Nothing wrong with historicals man, also they are cheap as fuck.
>>
>>54275325
get in touch with warlord they've got decent customer service. Simply say "RUINED HAMLET NOW YA GAYBOS" or something to that effect.

also this
>>54278811
>>54279945
I get the woodland scenics armatures along with big bulk buy of clump foliage, lichen and flock and go from there
>>
>>54280437
>Anyone want GENERIC NEAR FUTURE FPS mechs and AFVs in 6mm?
DO I?
>>
Is Tomorrow's War any good? Seen a recommendation from it from people who enjoyed Force on Force and in theory sounds good - but the only YT video I can find is from 2011
>>
Has anyone here tried out Rogue Stars or Scrappers? They both look promising though iv heard mixed things.

Also are there any other miniature agnostic sci-fi warband games or is this basically it for now?
>>
>>54280437

What the actual fuck is that company doing? Black earth the 28mm Scifi game they made was DoA. What makes them think 6mm will do it for em'?
>>
>>54235130
They're also fucking garbage.
>>
>>54288627
Rogue Stars seems to inlove a bit too much on-table book keeping and faff for my tastes.

Split activations and damage counters and Bleeding and Tired and shit.
Just looked a bit messy to actually play.
>>
>>54249556
>You think WMH is the WORST example of an IGOUGO game?
The argument for this is that each player spends the entirety of his opponent's turn performing no interaction more significant that removing casualties.

The whole reason I didn't get into it is because half the play-time is spectating on the game you are actually playing.

Making saving throws may be artificially doing it, but at least it engages you in the game off-turn.
>>
>>54288496
The Chicago Skirmish Wargames blog has a few old AARs you should be able to find on Google.

As for other games there's tons. From old-school stuff like Laserburn to more modern offerings like Grunts and Five Parsecs From Home.
>>
>>54288627
There should be a pdf of Rogue Stars floating around, so you can check for yourself if the rules do something for you.
Personally I went in hyped up and felt like the rules were a little too heavy on the bookkeeping and special exceptions. On the other hand you're only ever gonna use six guys on the table so you only need a handful of the special rules. I never actually played a game though.
There are a few battle reports on the youtubes.

The guy who wrote Scrappers also released a series of videos on youtube explaining the rules in the last few days.

Aside from the ones you mentioned I think Five Parsecs from Home, the sci-fi fivecore game should definitely be worth a look.

Tomorrow's war is also a mini agnostic rule set using a quality mechanic that requires different dice.
The book comes with a campaign setting the writers used, but there is no other incentive for using it than it's existence really.

Grunts may be something to look into as well.
The game supposedly is adaptable to different scales and comes with rules to make up your own units too, I never read the rules though.
>>
>>54286446
Some people like their magic.
>>
>>54290055
SAGA has a mini-expansion that adds literal Necromancers, just sayin'.

Also there's fan-made stuff for things like LotR and Game of Thrones.
>>
>>54288840
Well, Horizon Wars seems to have a dedicated following, and doubtless there's people that play Dirtside or Tomorrow's War or whatever the hell else you play SF in 6mm in.

I'm reading the Dirtside rules at the moment and realising if I buy a few more tanks from GHQ I can have a superb kind of dieselpunk mass battle going on.
>>
File: a07dee3c4f147b8880479ba2c12345cc.jpg (267KB, 1037x1072px) Image search: [Google]
a07dee3c4f147b8880479ba2c12345cc.jpg
267KB, 1037x1072px
Anyone know a company that makes models that look like the dude on the right (Gondor)?

Not looking for precise matches here, just the same combination of breastplate/cloak/conical helmet.
>>
>>54290341
Which scale, and are you willing to do some conversion work?
>>
>>54290497
28mm and sure as long as it's nothing too bananas.
>>
>>54290572
I've got links for a few different conquistador minis for you since the morion helmet and breastplate combo is common enough, you'll just have to remove the brims on the helmets and sculpt a cloak.

https://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/collections/25mm-renaissance-spanish Slightly out of scale and not the widest selection, but might be useful if you want a standard bearer, officer, or pikemen
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/pike-and-shot/conquistadors/ Not quite a perfect match so probably the most conversion-intensive but it's a nice variety of poses for you and if you want to be lazy you could even paint the gambesons up to look like fluted breastplates
http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=693&products_id=9220 There are some more conquistadors for sale here, but these ones are probably the closest match to what you want

You might also want to look into some pike and shot minis, they'd be reasonably likely to rock the breastplate and helmet combo too.
>>
>>54290055

A lot of the faction abilities are functionally magic.

The Russians can summon blizzards for example.
>>
>>54267375
I'd love to see a version of the hive mind insect people that actually makes some kind of internal sense and takes the core premise to its logical conclusion. Like... ditch exoskeletons and chitin claws (and all the biological weaponry, for that matter) on man sized or larger creatures. There's a good reason we don't see that stuff anywhere on earth. Material strength doesn't scale linearly with size. If it was actually possible for an antlion to grow to the size of a truck, it would have happened somewhere. Let them have guns and tanks and power armor like everybody else.

Have them actually use their hive mind for coordinated assaults and lots of specialized troops. Why do they have to be the dumb melee rush army? If anything, they should be far more organized than other species. And make that the cornerstone of their "evil", too... their huge variety of perspectives gives them an enlightenment and big-picture awareness that "lesser" species can never aspire too.
>>
>>54285546
It does have fanmade fantasy armies. The gist of Saga is twofold

One, all your special abilities and unit types are written down in one sheet and have activation costs.

Two, you roll command dice and manage those resources to activate what you need. You can also activate Fatigue tokens belonging to the opponent.

So an entire fantasy army gets written down in one sheet with some spells and blam, fantasy Saga with special rules.
>>
Anyone here plays Guild ball?
I want to know what do you people think of Season 3, the units that has been released so far, balancing and what will be comming next with the release of the Farmers and next year the Blacksmiths.
aka, the good, the bad and the ugly.
>>
>>54293736
Guild ball was awesome when I tried it, I played season 3 but don't have anything to compare it to, played Fishermen Vs Engineers.
>>
>>54289981
We don't seem to have the latest version of Gruntz here.
>>
>>54293371
It's funny you mention that, I had kind of mutated the idea in that post into more of a hivemind entity. It was an energy being that split itself up and grew physical bodies to be able to do more things at once, but hated everything that wasn't itself so much it just built massive AI controlled ships to live on, away from everything that wasn't itself. The AI ships, in service to the directives of "survive" and "make sure we are left alone" took it literally and decided exterminatus was a fun and good way to mine planets for resources.

The energy beings have no problem with this.

I do like the idea of smart bugs too.
>>
>>54204082
Where are these Skeletons from?

And where do I get nice, cheap Skellies? I'm looking for some completely unarmored, unarmed ones (so attacking with their claws or something), but had no luck so far.
>>
>>54296387
>Where are these Skeletons from?
These ones are from Otherworld Miniatures. They have a very nice collection of D&D/roleplaying minis, but are not necessarily the cheapest option.

What you are looking for are the Wargames Factory skeletons.
Warlord owns the rights to them atm, but for some reason they are not currently sold, or at least they weren't a little while ago. You may be able to find old stock elsewhere though.

Wargames factory is the one on the right.
>>
File: foundry skeleton undead looters.jpg (22KB, 500x329px) Image search: [Google]
foundry skeleton undead looters.jpg
22KB, 500x329px
>>54296387
>>54296528
Forgot to mention the Wargames Factory ones come with open hands. You can just leave the weapons away to have them 'naked'.

Reaper and Warmonger miniatures may also be worth a look, but the minis are gonna be either metal or bones then.
>>
>>54204082
Has anyone played Wild West Exodus?
How does it compare to other skirmish games?
>>
>>54296871
I only have the Salute mini, which looks really nice, but that's about it, sadly.
>>
>>54288879
Really? They look very nice on the pics.
>>
File: afterglow wastelanders.jpg (230KB, 1000x812px) Image search: [Google]
afterglow wastelanders.jpg
230KB, 1000x812px
>>
Just got my copy of Advanced song of blades and heroes.

How do people find it compared to vanilla SoBaH?
I've read reviews that say once you get used to the new additions you won't really want to switch back, Is that the general consensus?
>>
File: IMG_9723-02.jpg (27KB, 512x340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9723-02.jpg
27KB, 512x340px
>>54290341
Maybe thius old advanced heroquest chap?
Second from the left.
>>
>>54302649
I'll be honest. I don't like advanced SoBaH. It makes the game overly complex. The original was so simple and versatile on its own. But I did like it with the 3 main expansions: song of wind and water, song of deeds and glory, and song of gold and darkness.

However ASoBaH just adds too much. It's become a tad more granular and you can have too many options. I get the 'muh spell list' argument, but I don't think it adds that much to the game.

But that's just me though. I have the ASoBaH book on my bookshelf, but the original red book is frequently on my desk.

I'm this poster here >>54204530

I can see why a lot of people like ASoBaH, but for me I find it unnecessary. If you want a simple fun skirmish game, original SoBaH is great, but if you want more variety, ASoBaH may be for you. I mentioned this on the SoBaH FB page, and Andrea Sfiligoi mentioned he understands the distinction, and didnt' make ASoBaH to be a replacement, and still intends to sell the original along with ASoBaH.

My kids are too young now, but when they get old enough, I will be using SoBaH to teach them their first wargame.
>>
>>54296871
what do you mean how does it compare?
>>
>>54302912
understandable. I pciked up rogue stars hoping i was going to get a sci fi SoBaH and ended up never even bothering to write up any characters because of how overwhelmingly granular it was.

My main hope with aSoBaH is that it gives me a bigger pools of special rules and i can use it as a toolkit to build on SoBaH when needed.
>>
>>54303052
Yeah I don't like rogue stars either for the same reason.

But ASoBaH does give you more options for the original, but using ASoBaH special rules does tend to make things more expensive per model. So keep that in mind.

Luckily, Andrea Sfiligoi is in early development of a scifi sobah system, called Harder Than Steel. Apparently it's more complex than sobah, which I can understand (primarily a few extra stats added to a profile) but still keeps with the spirit of SoBaH, and it's also designed for games from 5-15 models acting individually, and scalable to large games of up to 80 models, acting in units. So he's trying to design a simple skirmish and mass battles scifi game.

I would follow the SoBaH facebook group because he frequents it and gives news updates of his projects. I have frequently expressed the desire to be part of the playtest as this is somethign my brother and I have been looking forward to for quite some time.
>>
>>54303224
Way ahead of you.
He's given me the all clear to print my A song of heavy metal supplement once i get it done.
>>
>>54303565
>A song of heavy metal
Interesting. Do tell.
>>
>>54303703
Basically take the mixed genre approach of heavy metal (both the comics and film) and fill it full of special rules referencing classic rock and metal anthems(maiden and blue oyster cult)

So you have a barbarian and a fighter pilot fighting alongside two agents of the temporal disturbance police to defeat a horde of zombies being thrown through a portal in time by an evil disembodied psychic gas cloud.

I want to put in rules for temporal shock (a confused warrior from the past fighting stronger against the unknown) flying cavalry ect ect.

Also some scenarios for specific thematic games.
(somewhere back in time - a horde of neolithic hunters find themselves about a space station in the far future that has been decimated by some new predator unknown to man)

Basically think heavy metal meets an iron maiden album artwork meets samurai jack.
>>
>>54303814
Way cool. I will be watching out for that on the FB group, and when it goes up for sale, I will be buying a copy, especially knowing it's coming from a fellow fa/tg/uy
>>
File: uptheirons.jpg (7KB, 133x133px) Image search: [Google]
uptheirons.jpg
7KB, 133x133px
>>54303908
It might be a while yet, But I've got a few months between now and the start of my masters so hopefully it'll be this summer.
>>
So I want to play Stalker on the tabletop but every ruleset I've found seems focused on Fallout style post-apocalypse instead of Stalker style. Any suggestions?
>>
>>54305163
>instead of Stalker style
care to elaborate what that entails?
>>
File: sniper.jpg (34KB, 430x650px) Image search: [Google]
sniper.jpg
34KB, 430x650px
>>54305254
Vodka, sausage, desperation, emmissions, Kalashnikovs, absolute hopelessness, squatting and the Eastern European way of living.

>>54305163
The author of This is Not a Test mentioned he wants to do something like that, but you might get something out of Spectre Operations - just write up some factions, rules for exoskeletons and anomalies.
>>
>>54305254

Not that anon, but I take that "stalker style" is a more "gritty" way. More Operators with standard guns, no lasers and power armour and such.

But, then again, you do get the artefacts and some weird mutant creatures in Stalker if I remember correctly.

What about Osprey's Black Ops with a table of artefacts you could roll on? Each turn may have a chance of introducing a monster or something that would move on it's own turn, with a set of rules that it would do (move towards closest/weakest enemy, etc)
>>
>>54305353
>Not that anon, but I take that "stalker style" is a more "gritty" way. More Operators with standard guns, no lasers and power armour and such.
In that case I imagine Tomorrow's War would probably be a good fit.

I've seen the question pop up in /hwg/ too recently, there have been a few suggestions, but I don't remember any of them.
Swinging by there and asking may yield a few useful answers at the risk of triggering THE WARHAMSTER
>>
>>54302947
Is it clunkier or more streamlined? Is it easier or harder to find someone to play with? The quality of the models is better or worse?

Mostly I want opinions on it compared to Malifaux, Infinity and Guild Ball because I want to get into a skirmish game but I'm really not into "everyone is some sort of horror/mutant", "sci fi operators" or fantasy football. And the Batman skirmish game didn't do it for me.
>>
File: Mordheim Expanded Mount Rules.pdf (101KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Mordheim Expanded Mount Rules.pdf
101KB, 1x1px
So, I kind of want to set up a Mordheim campaigj in the future and wrote expanded rules for mounts and wagons, and was wondering if any Mordheim vets had any thoughts, cool ideas, etc.
>>
>>54302700
Not a bad suggestion since old Heroquest minis do go on ebay job lots fairly frequently.

I'll keep an eye out.
>>
>>54305542
i believe it's the least common of the games you listed(maybe a tie with guildball)(consider these questions are usually pretty useless, it doesn't matter how common a game is it matters how many people YOU can find that play it).
Game is pretty light and fast(i believe it has free rules too),models look nice, but i am afraid i never saw one in real life, just tried the game without its miniatures(usually with miniatures photos online are enoguh to dictate hwo ,much you like a mini, the quality of a miniature is not that important, unless some mini really sucks).
All i know is infinity has well detailed overpriced models, if you liek the aesthetic, i heard good stuff about the toher too, but never tried to inform myself on WWW's minis.I would personally say the game is fun,not too original, but it has some nice addition to a standard formula, runs well. If you like it and have people to play with i would recommend.(though i know nothing about balance, just did some games.
(i now realize i forgot to compare its streamlineness, it's far below infinity in complexity, i never tried Mali and it's around the same complexity as guildball, a bit more(but personally i found it felt far better then guildball))
>>
Emergency p11 bump
>>
>>54305424
>Swinging by there and asking may yield a few useful answers at the risk of triggering THE WARHAMSTER
Is there a new autismo plaguing /hwg/ that I missed in my absence?
>>
>>54213896
Ooo, the old CNC street tiles. Shame they retired them when they switched to lasers from the old CNC router.
>>
For anybody here playing Frostgrave, would there by an interest in testing out a more advanced monster toolkit that gives the roaming monsters more abilities and different behaviors?

>>54303814
This sounds awesome
>>
File: DSCF3643.jpg (1003KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3643.jpg
1003KB, 2272x1704px
>>54204333
Getting started on an Arnor army for LotR. Mostly shopping around for alternate minis for Arnor spearmen because fuck paying $15 for 3 grunt.
>>
>>54303814
>(maiden and blue oyster cult)
the only thing this needs is more dio, otherwise it's perfect
>>
>>54310686
Yeah, some elitist bum with a stick up his ass, that starts angry rants at warhammer, or as he calls it: warhamster, each time somebody mentions Bolt Action and anything that is not 'realistic' enough for his weapons grade autism.
That wargames as a whole are an abstraction seems to be a foreign concept to him.
Just a basic badwrongfun kind of guy.
>>
>>54311586
I intend to use the MoMminiaturas spearmen.
>>
>>54314438
Is he a staunch defender of TLOS too?
>>
>>54310953
Yeah, for the longest time at one of the hobby shops I used to frequent they had 2 of the old sets, this was back when I was in high school. Really wish I could have picked those up.
>>
File: art01a.jpg (522KB, 2975x907px) Image search: [Google]
art01a.jpg
522KB, 2975x907px
>>54311586
I think Romano-British/Late Romans would make good Arnor.

For example pic related from Saxon Miniatures, just without the Chiro and with the white tree or something on the shields instead.
>>
>>54316350
You know, I was thinking the same thing. I was considering picking up some of these guys, but I suppose I should check to see how kosher proxying/3rd party is at my local club.
I mean, I'm probably gonna have to anyway since the only named Arnor heroes I seem to be able to find anywhere at GW or Ebay are Aragorn, Elladan and Elrohir, and even the twins are a bit scarce secondhand.
>>
>>54204082
>Wargames General
Wargames general is a discord focusing in tabletop miniature games. We've got an alt and historic wargames channel and several members into obscure and niche wargames. Even OOP starship troopers!

https://discord.gg/QU2djTV
>>
File: img1638.jpg (30KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
img1638.jpg
30KB, 500x332px
>>54317809
Fuck, I should actually post a picture.
>>
>>54315333
TLOS was good enough for HG Wells, it's good enough for me.

Well, no, it's shit, but I have occasionally been tempted to buy some of those old Britains 4.7" guns and shoot bits of dowel at toy soldiers...
>>
>>54318623
For reference, someone firing a more modern 155mm piece, using the original metal shell rather than the wooden ones suggested for wargaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5D8Ff2bPtY
>>
>>54317809
I've wanted to do LotR stuff for a while but was never really going to use GW models because I've always preferred the aesthetics of the old illustrations to the books (Naismith, McBride and the like) to the look of the movies.
>>
File: Hitler was a dragon.png (886KB, 1200x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Hitler was a dragon.png
886KB, 1200x1160px
Bump
>>
>>54318623
>TLOS was good enough for HG Wells, it's good enough for me.
That's the best defense of TLOS I've heard so far.
>>
>>54322713
I see nothing wrong with TLoS. Frankly I wish more games used it. It's easier and terrain feels like actual terrain, rather than predefined hit boxes.

But I can see why many prefer simulated LoS in their games. But in my experience, the only people who are really die hard against TLoS are people who really are only concerned with competitive gaming. Outside of competitive gamers, people generally could take it or leave it.
>>
>>54323320
>wish more games used it
To be fair, you can literally just shove "TLoS" into any game and ignore all of the normal LoS rules it might have, if you want to.
I mean if nobody is "competitive" in the group, nobody would care, yeah?

TLoS is the easy "non-rule" rule, so anybody can do that. Introducing "simulated LoS" requires actual rules, so such a thing is harder to simply shove in.
>>
>>54296871
I got 2 starter boxes and played a couple of games with a friend.
It seems fun enough.
Liked it much better than infinity and the tons upon tons of special rules.
Malifaux is more fluid to me but I agree that the aesthetic is a bit too repetitive.
I like WWX better but my group has not picked up on it yet.
>>
>>54323464
Simulated line of sight as you put it tends to produce better, more fitting results as it doesn't treat the miniature as the actual combatant rather than a representation. And is much nicer on people who make terrain.

Doesn't even need to be a competitive thing, just if the game is trying to be a simulation of some degree or not.
>>
>>54324670
I tend to agree since if you consider we're using static representations of a moving subject, combined with the fact that many systems have a highly abstracted ground and/or time scale (whether they admit it or not), taking the position of a model to be a perfect representation of the position of a real life combatant is a bit absurd.
>>
>>54324670
This. I am particularly uncompetitive, (mostly playing asymmetric historical scenarios) to answer an earlier poster, but abstracted LoS makes area terrain particularly work so much better.
>>
What is /tg/'s take on Circle of Blood? I honestly am not sold by the the miniatures and terrain. They are cheap, sure, but I can get the same shit or better from another place. Adding to that, myself, and probably most people in this thread, already have enough fantasy heroes, monsters, and general terrain around to play it.

I am enamored by the idea of the game though. It is close to an RPG with full on character creation, where your "army" is a party of fantasy adventurers made up of three or four models. There are loads of customization options, and as you can see from the pic it is a good clip ahead of other skirmish games when it comes to the detail for each model. The game focuses on narrative scenarios/missions rather than having a standardized game type. You can play your party vs. your opponents, or do a co-op/solo game where you and another guy fight off monsters that are coming out of the city's bowels.

Is there anything like this that already exists? I would really dig having access to all sort of fun mechanical customization alongside a good ruleset.
>>
>>54327503
Haven't really looked into it, didn't grab my attention. The gnolls look nice, though, and any game with wendigos get a thumbs up from me.
>>
>>54327503
>I honestly am not sold by the the miniatures and terrain. They are cheap, sure, but I can get the same shit or better from another place.
then do and then play the game with the cheaper models you like?
>>
>>54329744
ops, i misread disregard the "cheaper" part
>>
Oy lads, what company has the best skelemans, I need to paint a few for my d&d group, preferably in regiments of like 10-20
>>
>>54329744
That is exactly what I plan to do, hence the appeal of the game for me.
>>
>>54329802
Your options for regimental skeletons are GW, Wargames Factory, Mantic, and Shieldwolf. The GW ones are probably the best, but they have some vampire iconography which you may not like. The Wargames factory ones are good, but they are somewhat barebones (No pun intended) in that they only have some Greek themed weapons and not much in the way of old armor on them. The Mantic ones aren't bad, but there is less variation and the poses aren't quite as good. I haven't tried any of the Shieldwolf ones, but they are resin rather than hard plastic which may be a turn off for you.
>>
>>54329848
There are the Runewars skeletons too.
>>
>>54330293
>>54329848
Cheers boys
>>
>>54323320
>I see nothing wrong with TLoS.
It's nonsensical for one thing, because a game is an abstraction, yet the terrain and miniatures are treated as-is. Tiny, tiny holes let you shoot entire squads, your troops never take cover and stand around like dumb dingusses, smoke needs to be a solid zylinder it covers less space than it should.

It stifles creativity and conversions. Want to put up your dudes up on pedestals, give them some sort of giant ornament, or just make them stand more upright? TLOS fucks you. In a few cases it can also give you a ridiculous advantage - back when 40k introduced TLOS there were guard players that actually glued all their models lying down because it made their infantry impossible to be shot.

It leads to ambiguity and a shitton of arguments. Can I shoot that? If I squat down and squint I might be able to see the left testicle of that guy over there! Are the wings/antennas/weapons part of the model? It always leads to arguments and the whole process of squat-down-and-look takes longer and is often not really practical anyway if your model is in the middle of the table. With proper LoS rules, you just have flat, unambiguous situations.

There you have it, plenty wrong with TLoS. It's an idiotic idea and the worst thing Priestly (or was it Chambers?) ever started forcing into wargames.
>>
>>54331286
>It's nonsensical for one thing, because a game is an abstraction, yet the terrain and miniatures are treated as-is.
Except that's the point. In simulated, all terrain is treated as the same hit-box. There is little variety because how you built that piece makes no difference to how it's dimensions are defined in the rules. You think TLoS stifles creativity? Try looking at a warmahordes tournament and seeing their felt cutouts on the table titled 'forest' and 'pond'.
>Tiny, tiny holes let you shoot entire squads, your troops never take cover and stand around like dumb dingusses, smoke needs to be a solid zylinder it covers less space than it should.
Here you are citing issues I have rarely ever dealt with. I can see it sometimes happening more among tournaments, but I have yet to experience it, and I play competitively about as much as I play friendly. Nobody is that much of 'that guy' to argue that they can shoot the whole squad because they can see through the crack of a terrain piece. You're really stretching.

Cont.
>>
>>54331476
>It stifles creativity and conversions. Want to put up your dudes up on pedestals, give them some sort of giant ornament, or just make them stand more upright? TLOS fucks you. In a few cases it can also give you a ridiculous advantage - back when 40k introduced TLOS there were guard players that actually glued all their models lying down because it made their infantry impossible to be shot.
Look at the armies of tournament winners during 40k 7e and I dare you to point out to me such modeling for advantage. The answer is there is none, because there truth is it provides such a miniscule rare advantage people don't even bother with it. With the way you villainize TLoS you would think all top players need to do it, except they don't. I've put plenty of characters on pedistels and never once was I in a situation where I thought to myself "if only he were not on that pedistel"
>It leads to ambiguity and a shitton of arguments. Can I shoot that? If I squat down and squint I might be able to see the left testicle of that guy over there! Are the wings/antennas/weapons part of the model? It always leads to arguments and the whole process of squat-down-and-look takes longer and is often not really practical anyway if your model is in the middle of the table. With proper LoS rules, you just have flat, unambiguous situations.
Again, you describe it like it always happens or the games are always plagued with these arguments and situations. They aren't. They don't happen as often as you think. You don't give tournament players enough credit, they are generally understanding dudes who know it's not worth the fights if there are any.

Cont.
>>
>>54331479
>There you have it, plenty wrong with TLoS. It's an idiotic idea and the worst thing Priestly (or was it Chambers?) ever started forcing into wargames.
Still not convinced. And I doubt I've convinced you either. We could go back and forth forever about it, but I'd rather not. TLoS is just one of those preference things. I don't like simulated games where you have to define the dimensions of every single little terrain piece, and I really don't mind getting to eye level of my models, in fact I enjoy it. So forgive me for resisting this unnecessary crusade against TLoS like it's the new vancian magic or something stupid.

damn post character limit
>>
Anyone tried playing Kings of War Fantasy armies against historical ones?

How did it turn out? Didn't they feel balanced?
>>
>>54322713
It's also the only defense of TLOS.

Well, FINE, maybe if you're Lionel Tarr and using a reverse periscope for your WW2 gaming.

But that's it. If you're not Wells, Tarr, or playing like them, get the fuck out with your TLOS bullshit.
>>
>>54331476
>In simulated, all terrain is treated as the same hit-box
You could combine the two desu - I like how games like Malifaux, KoW and I think Infinity too handles LoS where the figures have a height, silhouette or whatever, and terrain is usually as is (okay, not KoW, as it's massed battle, but hope you get my point). TLoS dies as soon as you introduce kneeling and prone figures. Also, I like FoF's visibility rules - if you can draw a line from roughly one unit's middle to the other's rough middle and at least half the unit is visible, you can shoot at them, otherwise not.
>>
bamp
>>
Seeing as I'm borrowing the Horizon Wars book from a guy at my club, I've taken shitty photos of all of the book for later use.
Would anybody be interested in them, or is there a pdf floating around anyways?
>>
>>54333311
I would like your photos, please.
I dunno of any PDFs, but I've been out of the scene for a few months.
>>
>>54333413
I've gotten caught up in painting Planetfall stuff, give me a few hours.
>>
File: teppo-16.jpg (615KB, 1024x832px) Image search: [Google]
teppo-16.jpg
615KB, 1024x832px
Any reason KoW Historical doesn't allow Japan to use Hand Cannoneers? I mean, the rulebook says something about guns "changing warfare completely" in Japan, but the rulebook also does things like listing ancient Egyptian units and medieval Egyptian units in the same list.
Considering that the Sengoku era is the #1 draw to Japan in wargames by a longshot, it seems a bit silly to leave em out.
>>
>>54335217
Because, like the entirety of that book, it's a hastily thrown together shoddy piece of work.

I'm still mad for Rome receiving a single list on two pages. Lachlan on the Mantic forums wrote approx. 200 army lists from ancients to renaissance in great details, and this is what we get.
>>
>>54335310
That's a lot of lists.
Can you get me a link? I'd love to see them.
>>
hey guys, i want to collect some sci-fi figures that look really nice but i really don't like 40k... wat do?
I don't really have anyone to play with so it would mostly be for collecting purpose
>>
>>54335341
Here's the pdf he made. Note that this is for 1st ed.
>>
>>54335379

Feel free to collect (and paint) any sci-fi figures you want - and use THW's 5150 for the awesome Solo experience.
>>
>>54335217
>guns "changing warfare completely" in Japan

Over time maybe but for the era concerned really it's less a change than what happened in Europe, except for the introduction of cannon. And what was going on already over in Japan at the time guns turned up was a radical change in warfare.

>Because, like the entirety of that book, it's a hastily thrown together shoddy piece of work

Yeah, that. Thrown together because people kept modding it for historicals anyway so might as well make some dosh off an official version.
>>
File: HS15101.jpg (107KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
HS15101.jpg
107KB, 720x540px
>>54335379
What do you enjoy? There is Infinity for space operators, /a/ and some Ayss in high qulity minis. It's also probably the second biggest sci fi game right now (if you call 40k sci fi of course). IF you like big armies, really look for 15mm or even 6mm, there are a good deal of ranges and making an army isn't that expensive.
>>
>>54335512
i'd like something that looks nice indeed, there are some miniaures i really like in infinity but most of the stuff there are humanoids.
Is there a game where there are more ayys,mechs, vehicles etc?
Also i'd prefer not to get super small minis because that would be really a pain to assemble and paint i think, my hands tend to be shakey
>>
>>54335403
>and use THW's 5150
what is that my friend?
How do i even solo tabletop?
Hard for me to grasp the idea
>>
File: group Darg Age.png (5MB, 3265x1738px) Image search: [Google]
group Darg Age.png
5MB, 3265x1738px
>>54335559
Actually, if you like weird but good looking minis, Dark Age could be your stuff, minus vehicles, there are some mechanics monsters tough. Really if you like to paint vehicles 15mm is your best bet, they are a lot more affordable and easier to package desu.
>>
File: nagashino.jpg (299KB, 1280x803px) Image search: [Google]
nagashino.jpg
299KB, 1280x803px
>>54335478
I mean, one could make an argument about the rotating fire ranks formation that was introduced at Nagahino, but that could be represented with the same Vicious special rule that the Chinese repeating crossbows get.

In the end, easy enough to houserule, but still kinda miffed I can't bring it to official play.
>>
>>54335615
Is this America only?
I am europoor my friend.
i only have acces to this
http://mgla.pl/
press "Gry Bitewne" for wargames
Anything you would recommend out of those?
>>
>>54335570

First of all: solo wargaming is easy:
You move and fight with your figures as usual, while also moving and fighting with the enemy figures according to their 'fighting style'.

Any enemy decisions (like attack or not - and where) should be relegated to a roll of the dice. (like: 1 to 3 on d6 - attack on the left)
Some people will tell you to use the enemy figures as if they're your own - but that requires you to be Schizophrenic & I wouldn't recommend it.

Two Hour Wargames (THW) have written a number of wargames (and some Lite RPG's) at the core of which is the Reaction system:

Each time as figure is charged/shot/spotted you roll to see what it will do. (see enemy decisions above)
And it's not just the enemy figures that roll, but your troops as well.

This in-built decision-making makes it perfect for a solo-playing skirmish wargame.
It, however, seriously bogs down on Mass-Battle gaming.
>>
>>54335770
>http://mgla.pl/
Hmm from that list, the best it's infinity, warzone, At and Dust. I'm not sure how it goes, about posting and dark age, and much less to go to poland, but where is the will there is a way.
>>
Anyone with 15mm infantry can post Heavy gear new plastic models side to side? Because the old ones worked well, but I dunno if the new plastic ones would do.
>>
>>54335857
thanks friend
>warzone
fug everything is resin...
>Dust Tactics
Doesn't look bad, i like the bulky mechs
>AT
you mean Anima Tactics?
>Infinity
yeah i am considering that already

I've got other shop but they are more into mainstream stuff like Warmahordes, Malifaux, 40k etc...

What about Beyond the Gates of Antares?
>>
>>54336023
I never looked into it honestly, but at a quick glance they don't seem bad.
>>
Just bought the All Quiet on the Martian Front starter set at Historicon. Anyone else here play it?
>>
File: 1494357606642.png (65KB, 1380x876px) Image search: [Google]
1494357606642.png
65KB, 1380x876px
>>54336307
>Dat Left most tank.
>>
>>54336046
now this looks fun, i can trigger others with furfaggotry
>>
>>54336365
There are also the Ariadna furries.
Nomads it's basically future 4chan/reddit/tumblr in space.
>>
>>54335379
>so it would mostly be for collecting purpose

Then thats just how it is.
My historical armies just collect dust on the shelfs too, but i enjoy painting more than playing anyway. Nothing wrong with doing the "hobby" aspect more than the gaming aspect in my opinion.
>>
>>54336483
I think he's asking for recommendations for nice-looking models, since system isn't an issue for him.
>>
File: 280632-0232-zerathacker.jpg (129KB, 1244x700px) Image search: [Google]
280632-0232-zerathacker.jpg
129KB, 1244x700px
Combined aarmy looks cool
>>
>>54335379
What type of stuff do you like painting? I like painting tanks and armour, so 15mm stuff is great, as you can get more and paint more and the designs still look cool.
>>
>>54337209
Post pics of your armies pls. I'm really getting an itch for 15mm.
>>
>>54335379
>hey guys, i want to collect some sci-fi figures that look really nice but i really don't like 40k... wat do?
You could look into mini agnostic systems like Rogue Stars.
You build a team of 6 dudes, whichever minis you fancy, and then build the rules around the models.

For pretty models Human Interface is also worth pointing out.

I like the Gates of Antares stuff, I got a bunch of it on my painting table atm
>>54234802

Something worth pointing out is that the Freeborn can look however you want basically.
The background of GoA goes something like this: there is a giant nexus of Gates that sporadically open and close in periods from anywhere to a few decades to a few thousand years, these are the Gates of Antares. If a planet happens to be cut off from the rest of the Nexus they either die or adapt. Biologically divergent humans that evolved in isolation are called morphs.

Basically you can pick whatever vaguely human looking miniatures and use them for Gates of Antares. Especially with the Freeborn, since they are free agents. Basically anything from mecenaries to traders and space pirates. They even have a mercenary army list.
So you could take some orcs, put some guns in their hands and call them morphs from planet Mordor or whatever that work as guns for hire. Would still be fluffy.
>>
File: 17Kunst1.jpg (89KB, 279x432px) Image search: [Google]
17Kunst1.jpg
89KB, 279x432px
>>54204082
Hey guys!
I have always been keen on figures in the scale 1/72, probably because they are pretty common in my part of the world and I think they have a reasonable amount of detail for their smallness. Also it is somewhat a childhood love for me.
My project for the last months was, to create a tabletop-skirmish game in this scale, based on the color-scheme of the Aleister Crowley Tarot Cards. I found many figures to fit the motives of the cardgame quite well and was intrigued by that, so I started to paint them accordingly. The cardgame in itself has somewhat of a seriously meant system of magic behind it and I found it to be very satisfying to alter it to my own system of magic and meaning, that is implied in the game. I want it to be somewhat of an RPG experience, insofar as every card represents a small set of units or mostly a single unit that can be drawn as enemies or allies (some are neutral though). Most cards will be about equally matched in strength, but there are some "Boss"-cards which stand out, so the balance is not always guaranteed. Players can include figures from a more neutral set, if they feel their disadvantage will be too obvious. I really want it to be about phantasy, the worth of human life and making your unique journey, generated by the drawn cards, rather than an absolutely balanced game, a computer could create more easily. Though I am working on balance, to make it a more reasonable challenge.

>tl;dr
What I really wanted to ask you is, if there is any miniature game, which is closely entangled with the tarot-card game (and I do not mean the "emperors tarot" in the WH40K fluff, but as in, the tarot cards are actually part of the game).

I know it is weird to say this (because with miniatures you take the sculpture of someone else and paint them), but I am curious if I managed to have an original idea with this combination or if it has been done before.

cool thread, by the way
>>
>>54337751
Nothing that I know of anon, please go ahead and tell us more. Post pics too!
>>
>>54337751
My first response is that I have no idea, but please continue posting when you develop it.

Um. Maybe look at the solo wargaming (and rpg) community, some of them use cards and other means of determining events, then interpreting their draws to guide the game? Probably not too helpful. There's a google plus community, lone wolf roleplaying, that might be up your street and be able to point you in new and interesting directions, especially for quest and journey aspects.

Will you be including the happy squirrel?
>>
>>54337822
Specifically, this lot: https://plus.google.com/communities/116965157741523529510

Google plus is awful, but at least it's not a yahoo group... or a quarterly magazine. sorry lone warrior mag, I still love you, I need to resub to you now that you do pdfs
>>
File: K-SSU332-3.jpg (179KB, 800x457px) Image search: [Google]
K-SSU332-3.jpg
179KB, 800x457px
>>54337592
>I like the Gates of Antares stuff, I got a bunch of it on my painting table atm
i kinda like the Isorian and Ghar figures, if i had to decide it would be hard.
Dust tactics got my eye too
>>
>>54338252
>Dust tactics got my eye too
I heard good stuff about the rules for that iteration of the game.
Paolo Parente is kind of a red flag imo though.

If you want to get into it primarily for the minis you should be aware that the Dust stuff comes pre assembled and pre primed.
It's not quite Heroclix quality, but a somewhat rubbery plastic. Not the same most other games discussed here, where you get the minis on a sprue and assemble them yourself.

I only bought a single box of minis from the game, because I wanted to convert them into something else, but I think the preassembled thing may make it harder to paint some of the minis. And the rubbery material may make removing moldlines a bit tricky. You can pull the minis apart and reassemble them if you are careful, but that is something probably better done before you paint them.

As for the GoA minis, the detail on the Ferals is INSANE. They are the cheapest unit in the army, the 'horde option', but the models have as much detail as a character model for 40k or something. Since I'm into it for the minis too that's fine with me though.
>>
>>54338935
nice, i just want some nice looking figures since i don't have anyone to play with anyway.
http://mgla.pl/index.php?p=1&id_k=808
anything you would recommend?
press "gry bitewne" for wargames
>>
>>54339034
>i just want some nice looking figures
In that case I'd also recommend
>Alkemy (the old models while Kraken still made the game, i.e. all the starters and a handufl of other units)
>Helldorado
>Freebooter's Fate
From that list.

Sedition Wars was a game by Studio McVey. They had some really nice minis too. Rules were so-so from what I heard though.

Personally I also like the Urban war minis. Kind of old school, but I really like the models.

Mierce Miniatures have some really great pieces, but are insanely expensive. But if you have a craving to paint an anatomically correct monster these guys are worth a look.

Carnevale also had some good sculpts. Also some weird ones. But if you are into the Freebooter stuff the Carnevale stuff may look nice next to it.

Spellcrow have a few characterful fantasy minis too. I like their Ork and Elf sculpts.

I think I even bought minis from all of these guys myself.
>>
File: fur.png (259KB, 396x496px) Image search: [Google]
fur.png
259KB, 396x496px
>>54339234
i'm digging the furfaggotry
>>
>>54339412
Yeah the old Alkemy models are really great.

Really should get around to painting mine.
>>
>>54336307
Don't play it, but it always looked fun, post your work on it.
>>
>>54339446
i want full furfaggotry miniatures, why Cadwallon must be dead...
>>
File: Malikh Jaraya.jpg (97KB, 450x700px) Image search: [Google]
Malikh Jaraya.jpg
97KB, 450x700px
>>54339412
The Khaliman stuff (at least the starter box) is really nice.
If you're after anthro models to paint, Dark Sword also have some. I don't like a lot of their stuff as it's too cartoony, but some of them are nice.

>>54339446
I've yet to get any of the more recent models, what's the issue with them? The Utopia models are pretty naff, but the Naashti look great.
>>
>>54338935
>that the Dust stuff comes pre assembled and pre primed.

Not necessarily.
They sell 3 types of boxes: "kit" (i.e. unassembled, unpainted), standard (assembled/primed/decals already applied) and premium ("premium"-painted).
Sadly the "kit" option isn't cheaper than the standard option.
>>
File: ru6sgyqj10m.jpg (105KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ru6sgyqj10m.jpg
105KB, 600x600px
>>54339697
>If you're after anthro models to paint
oh i want, but i can't really find any.
Cadwallon had a ton of really good ones but they died, i am depressed.
Rackham Confrontation, pic related
>>
File: Cocoa-Begging.jpg (150KB, 830x1070px) Image search: [Google]
Cocoa-Begging.jpg
150KB, 830x1070px
>Read Confrontation Resurrection updates
>They interview several ex Rackham employees, and ask them for their suggestions
>All of them recommend using pre-assembled/pre-painted figures of some sort for an "out of the box experience"

God damn it. Didn't they figure out that doing that is what killed Confrontation in the first place? I can deal with circular bases, but switching from metal to low detail PVC just won't do it. We already know how bad it was when they went for Chinese factory worker painted figures over French studio painter painted figures. Hopefully the new people in charge just won't listen to them. I really want Confrontation Resurrection to come out well, as I love the direction they are taking the setting. It is a way to blow up a fantasy setting without going full retard as they did with another defunct fantasy miniatures game.
>>
>>54339882
check out cadwallon.com
>>
File: irixthefury_copy.jpg (88KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
irixthefury_copy.jpg
88KB, 600x600px
>>54339932
what i want is mostly resin :^(
Not sure if they would take my credit card either.
pic related is metal cast though
>>
File: alles-muss-neu.jpg (111KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
alles-muss-neu.jpg
111KB, 640x640px
>>54337884
>>54337822

Thank you very much for your effort and fast response! I did not know solo wargaming and solo rpg is even a thing! On the first look, I see some familiar concepts there, but it will take me some time, to get behind this in depth.
What strikes me the most is, that you concluded from my short text where I am coming from.
Isn't playing alone kind of weird? When I was a child I had a natural way of playing with those figures of mine, but over time, I lost this ability. My grown mind is not satisfied by simply arranging the figures and making the moves as it seems to fit right. Now I want to be the creator of the rules, this microcosm is organized by. It has some beauty in it, as if the game is basically determined, but needs the efforts of human motion and time to fulfill itself. Every test I do with my system to find good new rules, feels almost like an equation, that is not obvious to solve for my mind at first (nonetheless I prefer experimentation over mathematical assumption).
But on another note, I like to incorporate the uncertainty of the dice and the cunning of the player. I want others to see the beauty of this microcosm, as I see it. It is surprising and enriching to see others work with the rules I created and most likely taking them to the absurd.
The happy squirrel is not part of it, but it would make a great Boss though, if the simpsons reference is widely enough known. Maybe for the "tower" or some other devastating card.
>>
File: farben.gif (4KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
farben.gif
4KB, 280x280px
>>54337820
I assume, you might be OP for asking me to elaborate. Sadly, I don't have the kind of camera, to show you how my painting matches the cards. Instead, I try to convey one of my ideas in this graphic.

So I thought about the nature of a figure:
>it has a base
>it shows different kinds of weaponry, tools and armor
>it can stand on the field, be laid on its side (which includes, they have a position on the field) or can be taken off the field
>it represents one entity that can be defined in text, if necessary. Most figures represent a human being
A figure is generally ruled by standard values I defined for all their various characteristics.
I want the player to easily recognize the faction of a figure. So I paint the base according to factions. I do this with colors that are not waterproof, because that way, entities can change factions for reasons of balance or taste. For my game, I created 7 factions: red, blue and yellow are basic humans. Red and Blue are bitter enemies in the end of the day. Think of them as revolutionary and reactionary with suitable tactics. Yellow is neutral, like a civilian group that does not wish to fight for other reasons than personal gains, like mercenaries or civilians. They switch the side to whomever might be _closer_ to them or more likely to win.
Orange are "demons". They gain power from human suffering. Purple are "undead" and use humans for food and reproduction. Green are humans, who actively fight everything inhuman and are the most elite fighters. Figures with a white base are somewhat the heroes. A player can make them join any other faction or keep them pure. Maybe I will have an idea for black too someday. Some cards tempt the player to abandon his previous playstyle and change his objectives.
:/ this sounds a bit autistic, when I think about it. There is more to it, but I hope you catch the drift of what I understand under Alternative Wargaming. I think it can be about connecting with your own childish imagination.
>>
File: Planetfall Terrans.jpg (488KB, 1320x990px) Image search: [Google]
Planetfall Terrans.jpg
488KB, 1320x990px
>>54333413
Here you go anon. Hopefully the link sharing works.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0RVXAB_sPaKd0lKNmNSR1RtdVU?usp=sharing

>>54337351
This stuff's actually Firestorm Planetfall, which is 10mm, but you get the idea.
>>
>>54340438
It sounds intriguing, althought I can imagine it more like a boardgame than a wargame. The re-painting aspect is...something I'd switch out for colored rings for bases or something.

If white is pureness, black could be absolute corruption, don't you think? Folks so deep in their way they can't possibly return and can corrupt others as well to join their way.
>>
>>54339913
I believe modelers will still cut and kitbash. Just hope it's not china-tier plastic. Hell, I'll take restic or whatever that WH deal was.
>>
File: 009-Rifle-Corps-bits.jpg (106KB, 1024x616px) Image search: [Google]
009-Rifle-Corps-bits.jpg
106KB, 1024x616px
>>54340679
There's no indication that they are actually using plastic of some sort yet. And I certainly hope that they don't use restic, that stuff is awful at capturing detail, moreso than PVC. It just won't reach the standards that Confrontation miniatures are known for. Actual resin, or even hard plastic would be fine.
>>
File: a87-narr-crowley.jpg (22KB, 204x324px) Image search: [Google]
a87-narr-crowley.jpg
22KB, 204x324px
>>54340544
First I will see,how long the color actually sticks on the bases, before I invest in that. Touch more or less erases it over time, but due to the size of the figure, the player never really erases all of it. Maybe I will find some other solution someday, maybe I will just make the colors permanent and make special markers, but I will keep that in mind.

Boardgame is a good idea. Until now I used a chessfield as battleground with random obstructions, but by designing a board, I could give the whole thing more atmosphere and direction. I wonder, what kind of boardgame you had in mind.

I imagined the purity to lie in the idea of being unaffected by worldly conflict or supernatural temptation, but being opened to it by stepping into the world of the game, like the "fool". If I turn that around maybe black could implement a completely destructive gamestyle, with the aim to kill every hero, human and supernatural being, ultimately ending in suicide. Even demons and undead have some kind of self-preservation. The "blackpill" seems to be the only thing corrupting every other faction equally.

It is funny how dialogue sometimes can further our ideas. Thank you!
>>
>>54341381
Cheers, always happy to help!
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.