[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oldcrons vs Newcrons which is better fluff wise?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 306
Thread images: 35

File: oldcrons.jpg (148KB, 400x565px) Image search: [Google]
oldcrons.jpg
148KB, 400x565px
Oldcrons vs Newcrons which is better fluff wise?
>>
>>54195698
Newcrons have more character (>2)
>>
>>54195725
They also come across as kind of silly and not at all threatening.
>>
File: 1434435358152.jpg (110KB, 600x857px) Image search: [Google]
1434435358152.jpg
110KB, 600x857px
>>54195698
14 year old me loved olcdron lore
30 year old me loves newcron lore
>>
Newcrons, definitely.

Oldcrons were scary, sure, but the fluff left no room for your dudes. It made no sense for different color schemes, for necron forces to fight each other. The new fluff gives them more character. Each overlord could have his own goals and machinations and traits in mind. With old fluff you couldn't have that.
>>
>>54195698
I love them both, but Newcron stuff means we get more action in the narrative so I'll take it.

The fact that Trazyn showed up at Cadia, proves that GW gives a shit about us.
>>
>>54195698
Id they tone down the silliness of the Newcrons and return some of the the old menace/horror that made the oldcrons great, then they would be perfect.

As things stands, I feel to interest in playing a faction that's essentially loony tunes in space. To add this, one of the Newcron problems seem that they are too Eldarish (seers, webway access, etc). They have little identity to them.

>>54195811
>Trazyn gets a minor role as a comic relief in the first book
>Necrons as whole are ignored in the GS narrative and all the new plotlines

Tau had more lore development than the Necrons. We have little idea what the Necrons are up since the Great Rift came to be. They are utterly ignored. It seems GW doesn't know what to do with the Necrons.
>>
Oldcrons could be resumed to a single line :

Muh silent murderdrone.

I mean its okay but it become boring reallt fast
>>
>>54195811
>The fact that Trazyn showed up at Cadia, proves that GW gives a shit about us.

>galaxy spanning warp lock systems get nothin personnelled
>only one necron shows up to help defending the last one
>he doesn't even care that much and he's there just to larp a hero

GW doesn't give a shit unless you're imperium, eldar or chaos, and the cares for the last one are entirely focused on not allowing fun and ruining things by projecting daddy issues
>>
>>54195698
Newcron allow oldcrons and clowny 40k characters.
>>
>>54196438
Cite me a single example of Newcrons worshiping the C'tan in the new fluff.
>>
>>54195698
The old Necrons where an ancient love craft type horror from beyond. The new Necrons are just "TOMB KINGS IN SPACE". Old crons all the way!
>>
File: 1498799140922.png (22KB, 413x451px) Image search: [Google]
1498799140922.png
22KB, 413x451px
>>54195890
>implying loony tunes in space is bad
>in any setting

I'm livid
>>
File: IMG_1022.jpg (24KB, 149x163px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1022.jpg
24KB, 149x163px
It's worth noting that oldcrons gave us Assholetep.
>>
Newcrons are good because you can Your Dudes them to either

>have character

or

>still be oldcrons
>>
>>54196274
>not allowing fun
Is that just a reference to how bizarrely stratified and orderly the structure of the 'Chaos' gods has become?
>>
>>54195890

Don't know what tau are up to or much of the other factions either
aside from lol 5th sphere
>>
>>54195698

Oldcrons ware more Necrony, but Newcrons are easier to identify with. I say there is no straight answer.

I prefer Oldcrons but I always viewed them as an NPC race of high level mooks. For a Necron player I guess Newcrons are better.
>>
I still stand with Oldcrons, but I understand why the changes were made and don't resent Newcrons.
>>
>>54195698
They're good in different ways.

The fault lies in the sudden shift and change.
>>
>>54195698
Skub first and foremost
That said, I prefer the newcrons as they give more character and room for your dudes
But I can understand that people like the terminator guys in the Oldcrons
>>
What's changed?
>>
>>54195698
Newcrons are good if you want to make players invested in them

Oldcrons on the other hand were absolutely perfect and scary, but were basically an NPC race
>>
>>54195698
I think Newcrons are better because it allows you to fluff your own group of Necrons in whatever way you want. A group of Oldcrons could fit in just as fine with the new fluff too (i.e. some splinter empire or group that's still under the control of a C'tan).

Newcrons are better because they offer more possibilities and options.
>>
>>54196771
We knew that the firewall cleared up which allowed the Tau to launch the Fourth and Fifth Sphere expansions. The Fourth got lost in the Warp, the fifth is on gong and a new enemy is targeting the Tau.

Now what can you tell me what the Necron are up to?
>>
>>54198318
>A group of Oldcrons could fit in just as fine with the new fluff too (i.e. some splinter empire or group that's still under the control of a C'tan).

Cite a single example of this. The Newcron fluff makes it clear that this cannot happen on top of NEVER showing any example of this in the past 3 4 years.
>>
>>54196563
Nothing's stopping you from making one. Or do you need a canon example to base your color scheme on?
>>
File: nightbringer.jpg (57KB, 634x500px) Image search: [Google]
nightbringer.jpg
57KB, 634x500px
>>54195698
I prefer Oldcrons, but I think the biggest mistake with Newcron fluff was not explicitly making it clear that Oldcrons were a possibility. Sure, there are more genocidal/malfunctioning Newcron dynasties, but I would have much preferred that there be hints that say, a Shard of the Deceiver had managed to escape and was slowly taking over tombworlds and reassembling itself. That way we could have Unspeakable Lovecraftian Gods of the Abyss as well as Wacky Honorable Space Egyptians. I mostly do the RPGs these days, so this is my headcanon.
Also, it's important to note that Oldcrons always had characters too, they were just never explicitly expanded on. The reference was, iirc "the strongest willed Necrons retain their personality, but they are only a shadow of their former selves", or words to that effect.
>>54195784
Well, as I said above there *were* Oldcron lords with personalities, they were just sadly never really expanded on. As far as Necron v. Necron, the C'tan explicitly opposed each other and so Necrons controlled by the Deceiver could wind up fighting those controlled by Nightbringer.
>>
File: IMG_2522.png (146KB, 287x313px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2522.png
146KB, 287x313px
Oldcrons would have been neat if they went with something tying them to the Iron Men of Terra, showing crazy genocidal AI and shit
>>
>>54198385
And several Space Marine chapters can't have successor chapters, but how many times have you seen someone with one anyway? Fluff means nothing if it gets in the way of you having fun at the table, so ignore it if it's bothersome to you.
>>
>>54198385

How is it clearly stated in fluff that this cannot happen? Genuine interest
>>
>>54200616
Anti-C'tan Protocols.

Shield of Baal. The Transcendent C'tan mind was so limited that it couldn't crack the Necron security in the Starflame.

Most C'tan are feral things and those that are not feral are incapable of subverting Necron systems.
>>
>>54200539
>Also, it's important to note that Oldcrons always had characters too, they were just never explicitly expanded on. The reference was, iirc "the strongest willed Necrons retain their personality, but they are only a shadow of their former selves", or words to that effect.
this peopel always defend newcrons saying old ones gave no freedom just because gw didn't give them many characters. The main difference imo is the position of c'tan gods, which i feel was better in the oldcron fluff.
>>
>>54195698
I preferred the silent machine menace of the oldcrons personally.

I feel like they've gone overboard with the egyptian stuff.
>>
>>54200484
>>54200561

I roll with what's in the canon. You don't see me rolling with girl marines or guy SoBs.

Also you heinously missed the point. You claimed that Newcron fluff allows it but it does not. It's a falsehood.
>>
NPC race who cares
>>
>>54200723
What's stopping your guys from having a bigger C'Tan shard that broke containment?

Also is C'Tan pronounced with a hard or soft C? Is it Settlers of Catan or is it Satan?
>>
>>54195698
Mix.

I'm not against Necrons having personalized styles and sentient leaders, even in the old fluff it said that higher ranking members retained (some of) their consciousness while warriors and the likes were just press ganged civies with simple bodies and programming.

I just don't like their Dr. Evil levels of personality.
>>
>>54200794
Except your two examples are explicitly stated in the fluff to not be things. There's nothing in any of the codexes or fluff that states that C'tan, freed from their shackles, couldn't dominate the necrons into Oldcron subservience.
>>
>>54200885
>What's stopping your guys from having a bigger C'Tan shard that broke containment?

There were no bigger shards than Transcendent C'tan Shards and they cannot break into Necron systems.

>>54200930
>There's nothing in any of the codexes or fluff that states that C'tan, freed from their shackles, couldn't dominate the necrons into Oldcron subservience.

Anti-C'tan Protocols.
>>
>>54195698
Oldcrons had some character and style to them, whereas newcrons are just more factions of regular dudes.

There are already shitloads of factions of regular dudes.

Eldritch soulless unknowable uncaring killing machines? Closest match was Tyranids, and they feel plenty distinct.

Newcrons are just more junk in the same pile as spess marines/chaos spess marines/flashlight dudes/spess elf/dark spess elf/tau/pseudo-spess marines/mixed-race pseudo-eldar/whatever.

The original necron treatment added something interesting to the lore. Newcrons are just more of the same.
>>
>>54200750
I'm mot against Egypt but I'd he blended in other ancient cultures, Chinese tombs with teracotta armies, sumerian writings, mezo american rituals etc. Like how the eldar draw upon many many cultures to form a unique blend
>>
>>54195698
Newcrons feel straight out of 2000ad, which I personally think is something 40k as a whole needs to return too, so im biased towards liking them. Oldcrons are neat, but have the same "Cyborg warriors who've been wiped of emotion and personaity" gimmick as the Cybermen and the Borg. Not to say Newcrons are 100% unique, but they're more so than Oldcrons.
>>
>>54201194
That would be very cool
>>
>>54195784
>your dudes

When will this fucking stupid meme die?
>>
>>54201349
When the hobby does. Creating your own sub-faction has been part of 40k since the very beginning, and "Your Dudes" is a quick and easy term.
>>
>>54195698
oldcrons, newcrons and newc'tans are retarded fluffwise.
>>
>>54196746
no, it's a reference to how everything is just as planned
>>
>>54200794
>I roll with what's in the canon
Then you're an unimaginative fuck and I pity anyone who has to play with you. Also, I'm not the same guy who claimed that Newcrons allow Oldcron style fluff, I'm a different guy arguing that 40K fluff is malleable at best, and unimportant at worst.
>>
>>54201020
I, too, hate fun.
>>
>>54201816
>>54201472
Again, missing the point. This is a fluff discussion thread. Go away with fanfiction to somewhere else.
>>
>>54201877
Yeah, FUCK your 'game'! This thread is for discussing the most SERIOUS BUSINESS fictional universe in history!
And never do ANYTHING unless the Black Library gives you express permission to do so!
>>
>>54201918
Read OP and stop shitposting.
>>
>>54201020

Not all c'tan are accounted for amigo
>>
Question for necron players: any advice for a new 40k/necron guy? Finally got the Start Collecting! Necrons pack in the mail, so I have something.

My buddy got me into it and he picked up Orkz, and I'll be playing against him mostly to begin with, though I'm look for an LGS to join.
>>
>>54202162

But more warriors, and maybe a cryptek, then you will have a pretty start to an army.
>>
>>54201349
40% of the hoby won't die just like that after 30 years anon
>>
I haven't been up to date on wh40k lately, what has changed? Whats the deal with the 'newcrons' ?
>>
>>54195764
that's fair honestly
>>
>>54202162
Necron have lost their ability to put fear into armor armies with 8th edition. So go against hoard or elite armies you are going to have a good time.

Their are some good options for anti-armor in Forge World tho
>>
>>54203614
out of date since 6th?
>>
File: 99120110013_CatacombBargeNEW01.jpg (46KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
99120110013_CatacombBargeNEW01.jpg
46KB, 600x620px
I haven't actually read the new fluff but god damn do the new vehicles look like crap

would it have really killed the KANGZ theme if they stuck with Necrons having all their vehicles as separate machines or being fused with the necron?
>>
Oldcrons were better for a book.
Newcrons are better for a tabletop wargame where they are actually a playable faction.
GW (and the teens who got into the game circa 3e and 4e) misinterpreted the idea that being mysterious was "hip", and victim of 90s EXXXTREME trash, and decided that not giving the actual players of certain armies any information ABOUT their own armies was a good idea.
Then, the players get mad because actual information comes out that denies their fancanon (GKs have 3k> members hurr) and the teens, now young adults, get butthurt and screech on the internet.
>>
>>54203744
Worse, haven't looked at necrons since 5th edition of wh40k
>>
The first 40k story I ever read was Xenology, and I love the space skellies as a result. Even so, I love the flexibility the Newcrons provide when fluffing out your army, it's seriously a lot of fun. Really the only fault I can find with them is the lack of smoothness transitioning from old to new.
>>
>>54201349
When creativity dies.
>>
>>54196563
>Dickwaffleloads of malfunctioning sleeping tomb worlds
>NUh!!! IS NO CANON IS NO ALLOW>:(
If it's not specifically denied (IE; female mehrens) it's allowed you fucking RETARD.
>>
Oldcrons seem better as an antagonist force, what with being merciless and thoughtless and unstopable, etc. However, those same traits made them a piss poor protagonist faction.

Newcrons are a lot more personable and interesting and imho fun, but they're also a lot less scary than cosmic zombie robots
>>
>>54205679
Being an NPC faction didn't stop the tyranid fanbase
>>
>>54200885
Dawn of War had "Cuh-tawn". Take it with a grain of salt.
>>
>>54203798
>Adaptive, form-reconfiguring metal
>Apparently having the machines mechanically linked to the pilot was too much for GW
I hate it too anon
>>
>>54206866

Literally the only way to pronounce it.

The apostrophe makes it a hard C.
>>
Oldcrons because they were actually inhuman, much like the Tyranids. Now the Newcrons are no different in personality than Eldar or Humans. Even the Tau are now more inhuman and alien than the Necrons.
>>
Oldcrons, because the Pariahs were the best thing in the setting. I remember when rumours of the Newcron codex were coming out and I was so hoping that they would expand on the C'Tan plan for the Pariahs. Maybe add in Pariah lords and all sorts of Pariah infiltrator units, perhaps even corrupted Mechanicum.

But no, we got metal Tomb Kings with all the campiness but none of the grandeur.
>>
>>54196274
Or Tau, the new baby
>>
>>54206657
Yeah but do we really need two "implacable faceless hordes" factions?
>>
>>54207046
>Yeah but do we really need two "implacable faceless hordes" factions?

So instead of two similar in theme factions, you find it better that Necrons are now the same in theme as all human factions and Eldar?

I'd rather have Necrons be in a team of two than in a team of 6 or 8 or however many human/Eldar factions there are now.
>>
>>54207081
There's a lot more you can do with a number of "ancient decadent empire" factions than you can with a number of "mindless killing machine" factions, though.
>>
File: Necrons.pdf (91KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Necrons.pdf
91KB, 1x1px
>>54195698
Newcrons are just terrible. Saturday-morning-cartoon-supervillain-tier terrible. I really don't often say this but if you like Newcrons over Oldcrons then you just have bad taste. They are the Age of Sigmar of 40k.

Don't get me wrong, Oldcron fluff needed work. But mostly what it needed was expansion. Remember, Oldcrons only got one edition before they got retconned, so it's not surprising that they had a bit of a bare-bones feel to them. There were ways to add more character without throwing out the 'implacable ancient metal death' aesthetic and replacing it with Stupid Eldar.

>>54195784
>It made no sense for different color schemes, for necron forces to fight each other.
This is just flat out wrong. Even in the old fluff it says that the C'Tan turned on each other and set their armies to fighting each other. You could change your army styles based of which C'tan they supported. What gets me is that so many people who shit on Oldcrons clearly never really read the fluff.

The biggest problem with Oldcron fluff was simply that there weren't enough C'tan, for customisation purposes. They didn't even leave room for many C'tan, since for some reason they were stupid enough to state an exact number of surviving C'tan. It should also have been more explicit that Necron overlords were beings with their own personalities (again, this was in the original fluff if you looked. Apparently the people complaining that Oldcrons were boring never really read the fluff particularly closely)

The one change from Oldcron to Newcron that wasn't an entirely stupid idea was the Shards. It didn't really make sense that the C'tan, beings supposedly on a par with the chaos gods, would appear on the tabletop and get taken out by a dreadnought. But that didn't mean that the C'tan had to be thrown out entirely. Go back and read the short story Deus Ex Mechanicus, or the assassin story from the original codex. It's kind of a snippet of what Necrons could have been.
>>
>>54195698
Oldcrons were terrifying.

Newcrons added more "character", and they basically became boring and are no longer scary. Oldcrons had a better story.
>>
File: Oldcron Codex - Shadow Games.png (2MB, 1635x1721px) Image search: [Google]
Oldcron Codex - Shadow Games.png
2MB, 1635x1721px
>>54205679
>>54207046
Newcrons weren't a 'faceless hoarde' faction.
>>
>>54195764
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Not sure what that says, but, meh
>>
>>54201349
your dudes is the heart and soul of this shit
>>
>>54207219
>They are the Age of Sigmar of 40k.
Objectively better than what they replaced but triggering to nostalgiafags? Yeah, sounds about right.
>>
>>54195698
Oldcrons were actually scary and distinct.

There were customization problems and the army had very little personality, so I totally understand why GW replaced them.

The problem is that newcrons did not preserve the Lovecraftian horror feel that made Oldcrons so good. Their backstory did a 180. Worse, the new fluff isn't actually interesting or distinct enough from Eldar/Tau.
>>
>>54207188
If your unimaginative, sure. Yeah, Oldcrons and Tyranids had the mindless horde theme in common, but they had a lot to make them distinct and unique.
>>
>>54207219
>Don't get me wrong, Oldcron fluff needed work. But mostly what it needed was expansion

Amen, nigger. They should have simply expanded on the old lore rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
>>
>>54207037

>16 years since addition

pretty old baby now or still in diapers?
>>
Horrific, incomprehensibly ancient Terminators exacting the cruel desires of alien gods who literally feed on stars

>

Wacky robogyptians who banter and are friends with the BA.
>>
>>54202122
Not all C'tan shards you mean. the Text says that all that remains of them are shards.
>>
>>54207631
No, they didn't. There's no significantly different way for them to interact with the other factions. It's "an ancient evil awakens" versus "an ancient evil arrives." Actually, nids can do the "lie dormant on a seemingly peaceful world" thing too, so really from a narrative perspective the oldcrons didn't really bring anything to to the table. The interaction was the same, the only difference was their mindless terminating was servicing the nebulous goals of the C'tan rather than general galaxy-scouring hunger, but the interaction itself was unchanged.
>>
>>54202162
If you're not a stickler for propriety, next time you're at an LGS take a look at the D&D/Pathfinder/etc. minis and look for one of those green plastic globs of ghosts/ectoplasm. It makes a not-great-but-sufficient substitute for a Ct'an shard, and it'll be like $5 tops.
>>
File: C'tan revenge.png (253KB, 2248x842px) Image search: [Google]
C'tan revenge.png
253KB, 2248x842px
>>54205295
Even Malfunctioning Necrons shown to deny C'tan.

C'tan Shards even in position of power over the Necrons choose to destroy the Necrons before leaving into space. You know why? Because shards have no way to impose their power on the Necrons.
>>
>>54207878
No, the Tyranids need to invade and terraform a planet then get defeated and then act as wildlife of a planet to be what you said. That's a lot of reaching from you.
>>
>>54207600
Pretty much this. Oldcrons lost too much of their core personality when they got replaced, and while I enjoy making skeletor necrons that are kind of fluff compliant, I miss their older iteration. They just needed more.
>>
>>54207878
You're forgetting about the whole Pariah thing, Mechanicum thing and sealing off the warp. All major themes for Oldcrons that they could have expanded on.
>>
Bump to save the Oldcrons
>>
>>54206949
>The apostrophe makes it a hard C
So there's no difference between s'tan and stan?
>>
>>54201194
>Flayed one Assyrian-Crons
>A Hammurabi-esque Cron obsessed with Laws
>A Cyrus tge Great Overlord who treats other races he conquers magnanimously
>A Ramses Necron who tries to steal tombworlds and erase enemies from History
>>
>>54207955
What are Genestealer Cults?
>>
>>54213027
Not a dormant evil. They are an active evil that tries to subvert the planet they are on by spreading their religion and doing acts of terrorism. When they gain enough power, they launched a full blown rebellion to conquer the planet.

They work the same way as the Chaos cultists.

You are a dumbfuck.
>>
Newcrons are fun and also tragic in a way that Oldcrons weren't. And you can just fluff your dudes as Old Crons now still.
>>
>>54201194
>>54213021
We sort of got this with the Maynarkh dynasty. Flayer virus going mad, name like toholk, kutlakh and tlazolt, and a lord with an "obsidax" blade are all pretty subtle hints of an Aztec inspired necron dynasty.
>>
Mindless Robots commanded by Elder Gods
Mindless Robots commanded by ancient god kings
Oldcrons and Newcrons are almost identical only the guys up top have changed, the cron warriors killing guardsmen in the trenches are the same.
>>
>>54213056
No, you can't. We established that the Newcron fluff doesn't allow that. Oldcrons were more than silent machines.

Newcrons take too much from the Eldar to be enjoyable. Seers, Webway access, and now a tragic background. Heck they even took the wacky personalities of the Dark Eldar. So liking the Newcron should be quite shameful.
>>
>>54213049
Genestealer cults can hide and grow in the shadows for Centuries before rising up.
>>
>>54213072
No, Newcron warriors screen when they are killed. Immortals yell out orders to their warriors even when they don't have to. Necron Overlords scream through loud speakers, filling the battlefield with their inane ramblings. etc etc.

The image of the implacable silent army is utterly ruined by this new lore. The Newcrons are not silent and they don't function in the same way the Oldcrons did. They are bombastic and gaudy.
>>
>>54213115
They hide from the governments but their influence and actions can be felt in the masses. They are not dormant. They are active. Get it through your thick skull.
>>
>>54213118
scream when they*
>>
>>54213118
>They are bombastic and gaudy
So they fit 40k perfectly then?
>>
File: holy FUCK.jpg (66KB, 627x720px) Image search: [Google]
holy FUCK.jpg
66KB, 627x720px
>>54213085
>No, you can't.
Fucking stop me??
>>
Do individual Immortals/Deathmarks/Warriors have a personality, or at least a semblance of one? Asking because I want to do a Necron Kill Team for SWA.
>>
>>54213144
No, they don't fit at all because there is more than one faction that already. There is no space for them.

Oldcrons on the other hand were a unique army in the way they were portrayed.
>>
>>54213145
I don't have to. Just saying that the fluff is against it because this is a fluff discussion thread. Do what you wish with your shitty army.

>>54213146
Warriors, no.

Immortals and Deathmarks are purged of everything except their memories as assassins and elite troopers and their pride in their craft.
>>
>>54213186
Presumably the Ascended Immortal (or whatever they call the leader in SWA) might have a bit more of a personality?

Would be funny to have him be the straight man to a bunch of more or less a bunch of vegetables in tin cans.
>>
Oh...forgot to mention that Flayed Ones scream, bray, and hoot.

The Destroyers laugh and sing maniacally as they blast the living to ash.

The guy who created the Newcrons intentionally wanted to erase the image of the Necrons as a silent army.
>>
>>54213186
I'm going to enjoy it, thanks.
>>
File: Orc Ork Gorkamorka Necrons.jpg (42KB, 511x247px) Image search: [Google]
Orc Ork Gorkamorka Necrons.jpg
42KB, 511x247px
Old Cron's were perfect for skirmish games.

GW hates skirmish games because people won't buy more models.

Enter space tomb kings.
>>
>>54207371
is that the Deceiver?
>>
>>54212920

The relevancy of this to C'tan being?

Ctan or C'tan are both still hard Cs.
>>
Newcrons are best...... Because they let you be oldcrons. That's one of the best changes, they feel like an addition without anything being taken away.

Except for the ctan being debuffed, but, eh.
>>
>>54213245
Ugh. Why do people feel the need to change things for change's sake with established settings?
>>
File: 300px-Trazyn.jpg (18KB, 300x424px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Trazyn.jpg
18KB, 300x424px
>>54195698
Newcrons.

I still don't understand how people can so vehemently despise a bunch of senile old men having nursing home rivalries at a galactic scale.
>>
>>54201349
hello virt
>>
>>54217121
Because we already had that in the Dark Eldar and Chaos.
>>
>>54216830
>Because they let you be oldcrons.

Why do people continue to say that lie. Again for the thousandth time, Newcron fluff makes it impossible to have Oldcrons.
>>
>>54200885
ktan
because having elder gods that are named "stan" is stupid
not like there are no silly things in warhams, like master of Salamanders being named "He's tan"
>>
>>54202570
>>54207431
t. 40k babbies, who think their OC donutsteel marine chapter or "scratchbuild" toy truck with some plastic slapped onto it is some kind of pinnacle of the scene
>>
>>54218232
Imagine having so little creative talent you have to deride other people who do
>>
>>54218115
There's nothing that prohibits you from having a lord who removed his subjects capacity for voice.

It really doesn't take that much creativity seeing that there are already examples of lords going insane.
>>
>>54218141
I thought it was hess tahn
>>
>>54200885
I like a hard-soft C.

Sea-tan.
>>
File: MaynarkhNecronOverlord.jpg (104KB, 612x856px) Image search: [Google]
MaynarkhNecronOverlord.jpg
104KB, 612x856px
I think The Maynarkh Dynasty is a good mix of both.

Seriously if you like Necrons look up The Fall Of Orpheus,it's awesome.
>>
>>54220168
Fall of Orpheus as from Imperial PoV so you don't get to see the wackiness of the Necrons.
>>
>>54195698
The Oldcrons were pretty great, especially since their odex was fucking masterfully written.

I honestly prefer the new fluff though, with the exception of the C'tan no longer being in the driving seat.

>>54195764
This is also true.
>>
>>54220216
Which is what makes it proof that the oldcrons and newcrons are not incompatible.
>>
>>54220263
They are incompatible since outside FoO the majority of the Newcron lore has their PoV and they are quite obnoxious.

If FoO included the Necron PoV, they would be also obnoxious. I think that FW are hacks for avoiding writing the Necron PoV. It's as if they cannot pill the horror aspect without obscuring the Newcron elements which makes them bad writers and cowards.
>>
>>54220308
So the answer is simple.

Newcron fluff is from the Necron PoV whereas oldcron fluff is from the Imperial PoV.
>>
>>54220524
Not really because the Oldcrons didn't speak. They didn't have to and didn't wish to. Only the Deceiver was the guy who spoke.

In the FoO, the Necron spoke and sent messages to the Imperials.
>>
>>54220593
It's more a matter of opinion which is better/scarier.

An unstoppable legion of kill-bots that never speaks.

Or one that only speaks to tell you how fucked you are.
>>
>>54218320
Not hard, dude, that's like 70% of all posting on /tg/.
>>
>>54218320
Yeah and that's why people like him don't do stupid oc donut shit.
>>
>54221123
See? Case in point.
Can't go more then one post past mine before you get other people bitching about someone taking the time to be creative. And/or going for easy bait. Either way, makes me wonder why I hang around here.
>>
Oldcrons were shite but you didn't realize it because you were likely a child and it was a hot fad to cling onto things called Lovecraftian, even though oldcrons were about as lovecraftian as a plotless tentacle hentai.

Oldcrons are shallow Terminator expies who could call upon a generic grim reaper or naked gold man.

The reason why the only new models released before newcrons were constructs instead of cronboys is because oldcrons were shit and you couldn't do anything more than add more gaus tubes or else it wouldn't be oldcrons.

Oldcrons had their theme, but it was so niche that you couldn't change anything to make their players happy, so they said fuck you to you oldcron players and progressed their story for once.
>>
>>54221954
They should've added more gauss tubes to newer models.

Yet another reason why newcrons are garbage.
>>
File: Hands On.jpg (250KB, 900x1165px) Image search: [Google]
Hands On.jpg
250KB, 900x1165px
>>54220168
Best Dynasty, hands the fuck down.

Not only do they have the superior Gauss color, but the Maynarkh Court is full of goddamn lunatics and madmen.

If I were to ever play Necrons, I would do a vassal dynasty to these crazy fuckers.
>>
>>54216830
No, they completely and utterly changed the entire lore and feel of the army. There is no addition. The new codex is a complete retcon.
>>
>>54221954
>People who like things I don't like are children

Wow, so mature.
>>
>>54218418
That's not remotely the same thing and you have no idea on the oldcron lore if you think that's remotely close
>>
>>54218418
And there's nothing to stop you form making a Thousand Sons chapter that stopped following Chaos and went back to the Imperium, but is that in any of the lore? No. Just like how you can make Oldcrons on the table, but it isn't in the Newcron lore.
>>
>>54223682
Blood Ravens do exist Anon, yes.
>>
>>54223752
I meant more in the rubric marines way.
>>
>>54223899
Are Rubric Marines sapient enough to return? Would they be accepted if they could?
>>
>>54223929
Sort of my point. You can do it on the table but not in lore, just like Oldcrons.
>>
>>54224124
Now that I'm thinking about, Rubric Marines basically go into standby mode whenever there isn't a Psyker around.

I mean, theoretically, a strong enough Inquisitor could find a bunch of idle Rubric Marines and with the right spells could control them.
>>
>>54221516
Fuck off. This is afluff discussion.

>>54220750
An army that doesn't speak. They are unavoiable and impalpable onset of death.

Maynarkh on the other hand kept spamming everyone's come with drivel about their queen. Which was very tacky.
>>
>>54223752
Disproven since Ardivia became Ianus.
>>
File: Phaeron Imotekh.png (659KB, 301x871px) Image search: [Google]
Phaeron Imotekh.png
659KB, 301x871px
>>54221954
Actually, only children like Newcrons. The cartoony personlitiy. The silly and gaudy design. The loss of all subtlety in favour of flashy lights and BIG nonsensical models. Outside the original Necron models, the Necrons don't look like skeletons more of hulking giants,
>>
I just wish they went Lovecraftian instead of shitty faux-Egyptian with the Newcrons.
>>
>>54207219
fucking this
>>54207371
Assuming you meant Oldcrons there
>>
>>54196103
Newcrons can be boiled down to a single line.

Muh space tomb kings.

I mean its okay but it become boring reallt fast
>>
As someone who has actually read the oldcron codex,
oldcrons were much better fluff-wise.
Most people who say they were boring never read the codex,
and got their opinion second hand.

My personal theory is that lots of people, many of whom were SM players,
saw the rules for the monolith either before release when they were leaked,
or read them right at release when the army wasn't well understood.
They saw the monolith was more powerful and cheaper than a landraider,
and basically got mad about it, thinking the faction was OP.
From those early first impressions, the necron hate started.

They of course failed to realize that while on paper, the monolith seems OP in 3ed,
you would generally only have 1 in a standard 1500 point game, so they will be targeted by every single AT weapon the enemy has.
You couldn't feasibly bring more than one, because of their phase out rule.
If you showed up to a 1500 point game with 3 monoliths, you'd only be able to afford like 20 warriors.
Meaning literally all the enemy had to do to win, was kill 15 infantry.
>>
>>54195698
Fall of Damnos got it right

Political banter amongst lords/crypteks and everything else was silent
>>
>>54226976
Banter and Necrons should never be in the same sentence much less the same fucking book.
>>
>>54223682
That's not a valid comparison. Heretics are irredeemable in the eyes of the Imperium so the fluff directly contradicts such a notion. Necron lords going insane actually occurres in the lore and there is nothing, to my knowledge, that contradicts them from altering their subjects.
>>
>>54223578
It fulfills the "silent army" aesthetic which is what most people complain about missing.
>>
>>54229881
>that contradicts them from altering their subjects.

Necron protocols enforced by the Triatch Praetorians who are not insane.

Also an overlord has no command over the Destroyers and Flayed Ones. These guys will show up whether he lives it or not. And guess what? They are a clown festa. Flayed Ones will start screaming in high static voices and the Destroyers will laugh and sing and dance around the battlefield.

Another example of how the Newcrons are utterly crap. Compare the old C'tan portrays with the Shards. The Nightbringer and the Deceiver when they were on the field floated silently towards their prey. Using their horrible presence to inspire crippling horror into their victims before killing them by sucking out their life or killing them in swift gesture or movement.

The new C'tan shards? It's fucking DBZ. With Energy blasts and explosions everywhere. Instead of being silent and sinister, the C'tan shards roar and laugh with such volume that the planet they are on shakes.
>>
>>54213164
I'll take 'Legion of the Damned' for $500, Alex.
>>
>>54229947
They are not silent. They speak. They spoke to a dying marine and told him he sucks.
>>
File: Legion of the Damned recruitment.png (201KB, 3316x676px) Image search: [Google]
Legion of the Damned recruitment.png
201KB, 3316x676px
>>54229960
Here is the text of them forcefully recruiting marines in their ranks.
>>
File: IMG_1194.png (474KB, 550x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1194.png
474KB, 550x600px
>>54216888
Change IS the goal
>>
It doesn't matter if Necrons have Pariahs or Lychguard, if they're Tomb Kings or Terminators, if they serve the C'Tan or enslave them, if they want to "become flesh again" or just harvest delicious souls. As long as the means to their ends involves the systematic annihilation of everyone else, it's Necron enough for me
>>
>>54226715

The Oldcrons had a clear agenda which was nice. You knew where they stood vis-a-vis every other faction. They were also a nice thematic contrast to the Tau. The long sleep also made sense.

Their main flaws to me was the lack of characterization (especially in the codex) aside from the deceiver, and the amount they were hyped as an unstoppable threat.

Newcrons have the absurd ancient Egyptian theme front-and-center which clashes badly with the fact they are supposed to be the most technologically advanced species ever (all this hyper-advanced technology and their society never advanced out of the bronze age?). And a lot of their new models, especially the vehicles, are just bad.

More character and diversity could have been introduced other ways. Like bringing the rebellion against the C'tan into the 41st millennium rather than simply making it backstory.
>>
>>54230427
>As long as the means to their ends involves the systematic annihilation of everyone else, it's Necron enough for me

Newcrons don't seek that though.
>>
Oldcrons were much better than these saturday morning villains with all their oh so funny quirks
>>
>>54195698
Newcrons. Fuck y'all 4chan echo room.
>>
>>54229946
Where do the protocols prevent them from altering their subjects?

>flayed ones and destroyers

Don't play with those models then? Not sure about 8th but in 7th no one used them.
>>
>>54195698
I like newcron lords having more personality and individuality. I don't like C'tan being reduced to pokemon. I like the idea that there might be one or two newcron groups who aren't as universally "kill all non-crons" as others. I don't like the idea of teaming up with space marines and then the teams completely splitting up, instead of agreeing to postpone their fight until the third man is dead and then squaring up to finish the fucking show.
>>
>>54232742
We are talking about the fluff. Fluffwise these dudes will show up no matter what. Not having them in your army would be lore breaking as well as gimping your army if they happen to be good rulewise.

The Necrons abhor any changes done to them because it would make them less Necrontyry. A Necron warrior under no circumstance would tolrate changes to his form that would alter his/her shape or remove any more of the echo of the being that she/he is. They would nit give up their voices.

Even if it was forced, it can only be forced on warriors and Immortals. Even they would resist the changes. As for sentient Necrons such as Crypteks and nobility, they would tell the lord to fuck off and have his disposed of if he tries to subvert their "humanity". The Triarch Praetorian exist beyond the control of the nobility. In fact, they exist to police the nobility. The have the authority to slay wayward Overlords. They are the voice of the Silent King who does not speak for himself because THEY ARE HIS VOICE. Threatening their function means that the Triarch will turn the overlord into scrap.

So yeah. You are trying to force something that will never happen.
>>
>>54233027
>The Necrons abhor any changes done to them because it would make them less Necrontyry

Where does it say this? I'm asking specific questions and you're responding with long tirades of which I can only assume includes headcannon.

>Fluffwise these dudes will show up no matter what. Not having them in your army would be lore breaking

It's improbable that destroyers and flayed ones are numorus enough to show up at every front. There are accounts of necrons that don't mention flayed ones or destroyers.
>>
>>54233260
>Where does it say this? I'm asking specific questions and you're responding with long tirades of which I can only assume includes headcannon.

5th ED Necron codex. The Destroyers entry pages. You are a dick.

>It's improbable that destroyers and flayed ones are numorus enough to show up at every front.

Flayed Ones through unknown means can teleport into wherever Necrons march to war. They show up uninvited for the slaughter, and they are quite numerous.

Destroyers roam the outskirts of Necrontyr society waiting for the call of war. Where like their other insane cousins will show up uninvited to do their work.

>There are accounts of necrons that don't mention flayed ones or destroyers.

And now who is headcanoning?
>>
We only need one mindless murder army,and you can actually your dudes newcrons
>>
>>54229892
No it fucking doesn't. There's a difference between getting their throat ripped out by their gods in a bad Faustian bargain and getting some gags over their mouths.
>>
File: No change plox.png (772KB, 716x657px) Image search: [Google]
No change plox.png
772KB, 716x657px
I am convinced that most Newcron fanboys never read Necron lore. They are just basing their preference on memes. What a bunch of idiots.

Also another negative about the Newcron. It'a a highly contradictory even by the standards of the 40K, Saying that Destroyers feel fear and have a sense of self preservation while in other newcron sources it says that the Destroyers are fearless and will fight to until they meet their destruction.

Unlike the Oldcrons who were a labor of love, Newcron lore was written by somebody who does not care.
>>
>>54233460
And it's cancer
>>
File: Warrior screming.png (542KB, 716x465px) Image search: [Google]
Warrior screming.png
542KB, 716x465px
I wanna understand why the fuck did they have the warriors scream on "death"? What was the point of this? It ruins the army. The image of an horde of unstoppable machines that march and die in silence only raise again in eerie silence to deliver death.

Now here how it is with the Newcron warrior. Endless screaming. Warriors are use as cannon fodder. Marched over mindfields, through enemy fire, etc etc. So the screaming won't stop. They will die screaming and then raise again to die screaming again. I mean duck in the "Hammer and Anvil" story, the whole defeated Necron army screamed as they died in mass.

This is so stupid. You guys support this? This is good for you? It gets worse when the text says that warriors are not really scary, up close they are pitiful!
>>
>>54233495
>it will under no circumstances tolerate further diluition or corruption of that physical form
>they ruthlessly adapt, augment or expunge any facet of their physical form
who the fuck wrote this
>>
File: Immortal speech.png (683KB, 716x579px) Image search: [Google]
Immortal speech.png
683KB, 716x579px
Who thought it was a good idea to have Necrons immortals barking orders at warriors? Like I said the guy who wrote the Newcron lore hated the Necron and their theme of silent and implacable death.
>>
Necrons have four basic possible factions:
C'tan worshipping theistcrons
Silent King following Monarchrons
Dynasty following Nobcrons
Contaminated/insane Bloodcrons

It would be exceptionally easy to make subfactions.

Theistcrons get 6e style crypteks and c'tan shards as hqs. Play up the techno-sorcery and wyrd science.

Moarchrons get lots of triarch themed necrons driving things, and bug robots.

Nobcrons get cheap royal courts and overlords.

Bloodcrons get destroyers and flayed one troops, focused on dehumanization.
>>
File: IMG_3274.png (4MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3274.png
4MB, 1242x2208px
>>54233325

>gets called for not actually answering the question
>starts name calling
lel

That entry mentions the "physical form" of necrons. Necron aesthetics that visually remind them of their past. Removing their voice would not violate this.

>show up uninvited to do their work

Where in the fluff does it state the necrons are numerous enough to show up on every front?

>and now who is headcanoning?

This is laughable. Read the conquest of Uttu Prime from the 5th ed codex. No mention of destroyers or flayed ones.
>>
>>54233717
The idea is that destroyers are so driven by hate that they will violate necron norms. The wording is funky though because it says "under no circumstances".
>>
>>54233469
>getting their throat ripped out by their gods

>getting their throat ripped out by their gods due to bad luck

>getting their throat ripped out by their lord due to bad luck

They're similarly tragic imo. Then again it'd just my opinion. If it doesn't work for you then it probably just comes down to personal taste.
>>
>>54233893
>That entry mentions the "physical form" of necrons. Necron aesthetics that visually remind them of their past. Removing their voice would not violate this.

Voice chords/devices is part of their physical forms. Having a voice is part of their identity.

And you deserve to be name called.

>Where in the fluff does it state the necrons are numerous enough to show up on every front?

There are dynasties worth of them and they showed up in EVERY major Necron event.

>This is laughable. Read the conquest of Uttu Prime from the 5th ed codex. No mention of destroyers or flayed ones.

It doesn't mention that a a single Necron flyer won the day either but it did (source Crusade of Fire).

In every Necron novel they were present and even had a lead role in Fall of Damnos.

Again, you are a dick.
>>
>>54213863
If only they were like tomb kings.
They're just a third faction of eldar.
>>
>>54234280
>Again, you are a dick
Not him, but you're behaving like a petulant child. There's no reason to name call just because he disagrees with you. It's the resort of someone who can't make their case based on facts. Feel free to back up your words with screenshots of the books.
>>
>>54233935
>funky
The word you're looking for is "bad", or possibly since you're on 4chan "shit"
>>
>>54234045
No there's nothing "personal opinion" bullshit about it. One is literally a bad deal and other is the boss being a dick. You are equating things that aren't equal. Like or dislike all you want but thinking that completely different things are the same is comfuckingpletely idiotic.
>>
>>54234350
No, he's pretty much a dick for spouting shit and ignoring everything that's coming at his way while bitching as a hypocrite calling the other guy as head canonning when he's actually putting citations.
>>
>>54195698
Oldcrons are better by default because they don't have
>le wacky old lord who invites enemies over for tea and has to be managed by his beleaguered butler XD!!! so quirky!

Newcrons are reddit: the faction
>>
>>54234280
>Voice chords/devices is part of their physical forms

It's pretty clear that "physical forms" refers to aesthetics that would remind a necron of its past. Voice has nothing to do with visual aesthetics.

>It doesn't mention that a a single Necron flyer won the day either but it did (source Crusade of Fire).

Is there a source for the presence of flayed ones and destroyers there? It's pretty easy to think of a lore friendly reason why they would choose to show up elsewhere.

>And you deserve to be name called

Why? Because we have a disagreement?
>>
>>54234350
No, he is being a dick calling some basic Necron lore headcanon and acting smug about it. Already linked by screen shots

And this 4chan stop being a sensitive bitch
>>
>>54234502
>>54234502
>It's pretty clear that "physical forms" refers to aesthetics that would remind a necron of its past. Voice has nothing to do with visual aesthetics.

Iy's pretty clear it's their whole form. Losing their voice boxes would dilute their Necrontyrity which they will avoid.

>Is there a source for the presence of flayed ones and destroyers there? It's pretty easy to think of a lore friendly reason why they would choose to show up elsewhere.

They show up uninvited and expected, You cannot stop them. Nobody can. Where the Necrons march and dwell, the Flayed Ones are not far behind.

>Why? Because we have a disagreement?

Because you denied something basic about Newcron lore and didn't apologise. Where is the apology?
>>
>>54234551
>smug after someone starts name calling makes you a dick

never change /tg/
>>
>>54234660
He was smug before, that's why he's being called a dick instead of an idiot
>>
File: No precaution.png (976KB, 685x865px) Image search: [Google]
No precaution.png
976KB, 685x865px
>>54234660
The name calling started after he smugly called me telling the fluff as a tirade of headcanon. That made him A DICK. It shows that he isn't here to discuss Necron lore he doesn't really know much about it. He is just here to be a contrarian asshole.

Also have more lore. No precaution may stop the Flayed Ones.
>>
There is much much more.

In order to activate their technology, Crypteks must preform ancient rites that require than to chant in their ancient Necrontyr language in order to activate their technology.

CHANTING. The most technological race in the galaxy does voodoo chants to activate their stuff as if they are some backwards tech priests. FUCK!
>>
>>54234809
>She began to chant, activating long dormant protocols in the laboratory. Rock rumbled and lights flickered on. Ancient scenes of glory from the history of the necrontyr looked down from the walls, an inspiration to those chronomancers who would have worked within. The panels slid down, exposing blinking sensors and whizzing gears.

>Valnyr recited names, placing exception commands on her and her lychguard. There was no time to fine-tune what she attempted.

-Shield of Baal : Devourer

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK there is no single line in Newcron lore that doesn't read as obnoxious. Why the fuck are they trying to force mysticism in a race that's suppose to be about cold and logical technology.

And what's with reading the stars to tell the future? What kind of dumb SHITE is that? This whole thing is just bonkers.

This renders the Tau and Orks as the only races that are smart enough to work their tech with BUTTONS instead of chanting,
>>
>>54234620
>Iy's pretty clear it's their whole form

The reason a necron cares about this is because it makes him nostalgic for the old days. A "Physical form" would make someone nostalgic in terms of aesthetics.

>They show up uninvited and expected, You cannot stop them. Nobody can.

I'm not claiming they were stopped, just that they chose to be elsewhere at the time. One again there are many lore friendly reasons why they might choose to be elsewhere. If there is easier prey for slaughter somewhere else, it would go against their bloodlust to appear.

>Because you denied something basic about Newcron lore and didn't apologise.

Why would someone apologize for disagreeing about something, even if it's something you fervently believe.
>>
Oldcrons are better for the universe
Newcrons are better for the faction
>>
I just bought Necron Warriors. Sell me on their lore. I don't really know anything about them.
>>
>>54234748
desu he was asking very specific questions and you were just reciting massive amounts of lore. If I saw something I disagreed with I would have assumed you were headcanoning too
>>
>>54234887
>The reason a necron cares about this is because it makes him nostalgic for the old days. A "Physical form" would make someone nostalgic in terms of aesthetics.

And everything that comes with that physical form which includes a voice. Removing it means corruption to their form and dilution to the echo of what they were.

and it's not about nostalgia. Warriors are mindless and witless creatures. It's instinctual defence against further violation of its self.
>I'm not claiming they were stopped, just that they chose to be elsewhere at the time. One again there are many lore friendly reasons why they might choose to be elsewhere. If there is easier prey for slaughter somewhere else, it would go against their bloodlust to appear.

There are more than enough Flayed Ones around ti appear in every battle that the Necrons fight especially name that there is now three dynasties worth of Flayed Ones in the galaxy. That's billions of Flayed Ones that can appear at a moments notice anywhere at any time.

>Why would someone apologize for disagreeing about something, even if it's something you fervently believe.

And it seems that you cannot read as well. See? This what i have to deal with. The guy calls basic Necron lore headcanon and then tries to past it off as a disagreement of opinions. This guy is the worst.
>>
>>54234983
Stop assuming stuff you don't know if sources are available.
>>
>>54234983
This is a fluff discussion. One assumes that everyone involved knows about the basics.

If someone started a Eldar thread and one went to talk about some basic stuff about soulstones and someone calls it a tirade of headcanon, then that person is a DICK. It's about disagreement, that lying fuck.

If he doesn't know Necron basics, he shouldn't be here.

>>54234905
Going by the codex fluff.

All that keeps them from being pitiful corded machines that leak oil (Necron leak oil, really) is the glow in their eye because it makes them spooky. Necron Warriors usually suffer from spasms due to their faulty synaptic wiring which causes them to stumble.

And despite being androids/robots, they feel fear and have an instinctual sense of self preservation albeit dulled somewhat. Also they scream when they are killed.
>>
>>54235091
It's not about*
>>
>>54235091
>Also they scream when they are killed.
that primal scream upon death, is really spooky. Love it.
>>
>>54217121
Because that job was already taken by the imperium, eldar, dark eldar, and chaos. Necrons were the foil for the eldar's "Oh, we are so ancient and wise, so much better and smarter than you pathetic lesser races" and then the necrons get off their lunch break, spank the eldar's asses, and tell them to go sit with the rest of the inferior races and stop being mean to the two years younger kids.
Oldcrons were the foil to all other races. Ancient and proud history? Nope, your history is a blip on the radar, shut up eldar you're the same as orks. Strong in body and wise of mind? Immortal robots who mastered science to the point where they tell physics to go sit in the corner. Hot-blooded will to live? Love freedom? I know the truth, and the truth is we're all food and slaves for the gods who made/were born at the same time as the universe. Oh, that whole chaos thing? Not even a problem. Long-standing feud with other alien races? Our feud happened over sixty million years ago, and it's still happening. The necrons were foil in the truest sense of the word. They were the certain unceasing death to other factions desperate struggle for life. The c'tan were a match and a counter for chaos, half-dead and splintered like khaine though they were. The war in heaven was the reason why 40k is so shitty. The necrons were the beginning of it all. It's only fitting they end it all, isn't it?
>>
>>54235121
It gets old when you hear it over and over and over and over and over a thousand times as the Necrons rise up to scream and die again and again and again. It's nothing but tedious.
>>
>>54234986
>it's not about nostalgia

Go back and read the paragraph from the destroyers. "Yet even the lowliest necron warrior longs for a return to Time of Flesh, and because it's physical form is all that now echos the living, breathing , soulful creature it once was, it will no longer tolerate further dilution or corruption of that physical form."

How is that not nostalgia?

>three dynasties worth of Flayed Ones in the galaxy

Yeah but that's dwarfed by the amount of dynasties. On a galactic scale three dynasties isn't very much.

>The guy calls basic Necron lore headcanon and then tries to past it off as a disagreement of opinions

You didn't provide a source until after I called you for not answering a specific question. Once you did then we disagreed on what the source meant. Sorry if you can't handle it :^)
>>
File: 1481630619215.gif (777KB, 233x173px) Image search: [Google]
1481630619215.gif
777KB, 233x173px
>>54235240
So you are faulting him for backing up his argument?
>>
>>54235240
>How is that not nostalgia?

Because Necrons warriors are mindless and their biotransference didn't allow for memories and personality to be transferred. If you are mindless and don't even remember, then how can you have nostalgia? Checkmate.

>Yeah but that's dwarfed by the amount of dynasties.

There are a handful of awakened dynasties and those billions of Flayed Ones have a method of travel that makes the galactic scale a joke for them.

>You didn't provide a source until after I called you for not answering a specific question.

It's not like I withheld the source or it was some buried piece of fluff. It's basic Necron fluff from the Destroyer's entry. I answered your question telling you the fluff in its full length then you acted a fool and called it headcanon. If you asked for a source without acting like smug cunt, then I would have gladly provided it.

>Sorry if you can't handle it :^)

See I rest my case, We have a case of a shitposter who likes being a dick.
>>
>>54235278
No, I am faulting him for name calling. If he just posted the evidence without acting like a child 1/3 of this bullshit wouldn't have happened.
>>
>>54235351
Nope, the fault lies with you. Notice that people are talking about the fluff civilly with each other then you showed up and started calling people's discussion a tirade of headcanon instead of simply asking for a source. It's bad enough for being that much of a dick but asking for the basics? Dude....
>>
>>54235351
And if you weren't a dick, he wouldn't have called you one.
>>
>>54235344
>Necrons warriors are mindless

How can that be true if "even the lowliest necron warrior longs for a return to Time of Flesh"

On another note, if this paragraph directly contradicts the fluff then shouldn't it be disregarded?

>Flayed Ones have a method of travel that makes the galactic scale a joke for them

Yeah but each flayed one can't be multiple place at once. The galactic scale of 40k means that there are so many conflicts happening they would choose the most appealing ones.

>I answered your question

Actually you didn't. I asked "where do the protocols" not "how do the protocols". "Where" implies where can I find the information? Instead of providing that you recited your interpretation of the lore. Only after I called you out for it did you reveal where you were getting your interpretation.

If this was a legit misunderstanding than I'm sorry but seeing how quick you were to name call makes me doubt it.
>>
>>54195698
Newcrons are vastly superior, anyone who likes boring as shit Oldcrons is just a retard or lying.
>>
>>54235397
>instead of simply asking for a source

I asked but he didn't answer with a source so I said I could only assume it's headcanon. If the question was misunderstood then that sucks but this could have been avoided if there was no name calling.

>>54235402

Look up circular logic
>>
>>54235351
How can you be riled up by "dick" on 4chan is a mystery to me.
>>
>>54235778
Totally agree! I love how wacky the Newcrons are and I'm a big fan of Pokemon so I like the new C'Tan fluff. Upvoted!
>>
>>54235653
>On another note, if this paragraph directly contradicts the fluff then shouldn't it be disregarded?

Nope, it's all equal valid. Shows that Newcron lore is laughable.

>Yeah but each flayed one can't be multiple place at once. The galactic scale of 40k means that there are so many conflicts happening they would choose the most appealing ones.

And any number of them can appear at any battlefield in the galaxy at the drop of a hat.

>"Where do the protocols prevent them from altering their subjects?

Do you even speak? "Where do" is not the same "where are"

What did is just proof yourself to be a moron in English as well as a smug cunt when you were provided with lore about Necrons but choose to ask about its source in the most scummy of ways.
>>
>>54235918
I totally agree with you, fellow Oldcron fan! Faceless anonymous robots with no personality or even interesting models is just SO much fun to play both with and against! XD
>>
Necrons as Reapers > Necrons as ebin wacky space mummies
>>
>>54236042
>Nope, it's all equal valid. Shows that Newcron lore is laughable.

That's actually kind of funny. You'd think gw would hire someone who's competent to edit this stuff.

>And any number of them can appear at any battlefield in the galaxy at the drop of a hat.

How is that possible if there's a finite amount of them? Wouldn't the number that can appear be limited by the total amount?

>Do you even speak? "Where do" is not the same "where are"

Questions that are worded differently can mean the same thing. Asking "where do/does this happen in the book" means the same as "where are/is this in the book".

But I guess realizing there's been a misunderstanding is just harder than name calling, right?
>>
File: Tomb_blade_teslacarbine.jpg (39KB, 384x390px) Image search: [Google]
Tomb_blade_teslacarbine.jpg
39KB, 384x390px
>>54236246
>interesting models

Hahahahahah
>>
>>54233770
Why do robots need to verbally communicate to other robots? That's just retarded.
>>
>>54235121
It also goes against the entire theme of Necrons being the implacable silent death.
>>
>>54236655
They're still kind of "people". Old habits die hard. The Necrons are nothing if not sentimental about the past.
>>
Everyone who argues that Newcrons are better because you can have "your dudes" are forgetting one crucial thing: they could have updated the codex to include your dudes without ruining everything about the Oldcrons.

A minor retcon about lowering the C'Tan's powers and making thousands of them would instantly have made it possible for you to make your own C'tan to lead your armies.

Hell, even keeping all the old lore and just saying that some of the Necron Lords who are now beginning to wake up with their mortal memories would have allowed your dudes without wrecking the whole Oldcron lore.
>>
>>54236739
Which is just more Newcron shit. They are supposed to be motherfucking terminators on overdrive with no feelings, remorse or memories.
>>
>>54236771
You can still have those, you know.

Newcrons are exactly having your cake and eating it too.
>>
>>54236800
Except as has been shown in this thread, you can't change that shit for your dudes. The lore is fixed.
>>
>>54236873
But the point of 'your dudes' is you can bend, or break, the lore to some extent.

Its 40k, half of it is headcanon anyway at this point.
>>
>>54236915
Since this is a lore discussion, headcanon is a cop out.

Because I can equally say Oldcrons are fine as is since you can just headcanon all the new parts into the Oldcron lore.
>>
File: Flayed One.jpg (22KB, 236x377px) Image search: [Google]
Flayed One.jpg
22KB, 236x377px
>>54237024
>Oldcrons are fine as is since you can just headcanon all the new parts into the Oldcron lore.
While I don't totally understand what you mean by this, I support your choice in supporting the Oldcrons.

There's enough for everyone.
>>
Jesus this thread is divisive.

I agree that oldcron lore with a slight editing would have sufficed rather than thowing everything out, but being that this is what we're stuck with it could be worse. For the most part with the newer lore that I have read the faction as a whole still represents the 'cold, terminator type robot army.' Yes, its stupid that flayed ones screech and the shit with warriors scream when dying. But from what I can tell, only the nobility were given real personality and sentience; the lower ranks still silently march or stand there. The le' so quirky personality seems AT MOST contained to your overlords and crypteks, the one 1% in a vastly silent majority.

The fluff can be pretty bad, but lets be honest, GW having contradictory lore with messy editing is pretty universal across the factions.
Maybe I'm wrong, just getting back into 40k for 8th ed, but it just seems like both sides are making mountains out of molehills.
>>
What's with the morons keep throwing "Do fanfiction" whenever someone criticises Newcron lore in a FLUFF DISCUSSION thread. I swear
>>
>>54237103
>But from what I can tell, only the nobility were given real personality and sentience

But this is wrong. Look at the screenshots an anon posted further up. EVERYONE in the army other than basic warriors now have personality and sentience. Immortals have to verbally give orders and report back to the lords as if this was a medieval battle. Destroyers are now jaunty and bombastic, deathmarks dark and broody and edgy.

Hell, all their new vehicles even require Necron pilots. These are machines piloting other machines. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? They have heaps of autonomous machines like the wraiths and spyders and shit, but their vehicles require pilots?

The entire theme and personality of Newcrons is a direct 180 from the Oldcrons.

It's like if the new Chaos Codex said that Khorne is no longer interested in blood, violence, or skulls but enjoys a joint and free sex.
>>
>>54237103
Most can't seem to see the difference between in canon knowledge and in universe character knowledge.

For example as the grand overseers of the universe we know that orks are hooligan louts that think that when "Nazzog da bomma" blows himself and 8 other boyz around him up with a ridiculously oversized hand grenade when charging towards the enemy lines is hilarious, whereas the guardsmen in the trench being assaulted merely see yelling brutes have a catastrophic weapons failure and not stop to worry, but actually get spurred on and begin shouting louder.

Although with today we see less and less ork perspective stuff and more from the perspective of the necron lords, in the overall scheme the races have barely changed from their beginnings.

Although overall I don't know why anyone really cares about the c'tan and whether they're above or below the necrons, they're boring as leaders and as subordinates.
>>
>>54237343
You are a fool and braggart. The galaxy knows about the Sautekh Dynasty and have established diplomatic relations with members of their court. The galaxy (except the Tau) knows that the Necrons are senile idiots ruled by tradition and protocol.

And what matters is in-verse character knowledge. We are talking about our enjoyment of the race and how WE see them. In that the Newcrons are lacking greatly.
>>
>>54237343
I just think Poke'tan are kind of lame.

If they were one use, like unleashing the C'tan kills it once its power is unleashed would make it more interesting I think. Or if even the Shards were too dangerous to unleash because they long for unity.

But how they are now? Kind of lame.

Would be kind of neat too if a Dynasty remembered how the universe was before C'tan were killed, thus damaging reality, and were trying to repair it.
>>
>>54237343
You do know that the Imperium have had good relations with the Newcrons right? As in the Newcrons have helped them in encounters against other xenos and Chaos factions. So from an in character perspective, Newcrons are still the polar opposite of Oldcrons.
>>
sorry as this isn't a purely fluff question but am I expected to paint Newcron characters as they are on the box art? i.e. Anrakyr and Illuminor Szeras? Or should I paint them as my dudes?
Like would Anrakyr have a differing necrodermis based on who he was hanging around with at the time?
>>
>>54237478
More cryptek science would be fun, could definitely see one trying to mess around with c'tan magicks. That's essentially what happened in shield of baal for that superweapon, after all.

>>54237485
It's all few and far between and self serving. Even the most obvious blood angel example was a "bigger fish to fry" deal, not a true alliance. Necrons in general are far more focused on getting rid of the nids shitting on their lawn far more than they ever were, which makes them less of a threat to the imperium, it doesn't mean they're on good terms.
>>
>>54237634
And even that is something the Oldcrons would never, ever, ever, ever do. It's such an Eldar thing. The Oldcrons would have let the Tyranids and Imperium kill each other off and the finish off the one that remained.
>>
>>54237659
It's really not an option with how tyranids destroy everything and the imperium is incredibly incompetent, it makes sense that they are set to sort the problem out themselves.
>>
>>54237634
>It's all few and far between and self serving. Even the most obvious blood angel example was a "bigger fish to fry" deal, not a true alliance. Necrons in general are far more focused on getting rid of the nids shitting on their lawn far more than they ever were, which makes them less of a threat to the imperium, it doesn't mean they're on good terms.

The Sautekh Necrons are the most encountered faction of the Necrons to the point of that the Imperium thinks that other dynsaties are off-shoots. The Sautekh communicates with other races in ways that range from diplomacy, threats, and just plain old taunting.

>Even the most obvious blood angel example was a "bigger fish to fry" deal, not a true alliance

And no you, idiot. The Necrons were more than capable of dealing with the Tyranids. The whole affair was arranged by the Silent King to show the the Imperium that the Necrons can be reasoned with and allied with. (source Words of the Silent King).

>Necrons in general are far more focused on getting rid of the nids shitting on their lawn far more than they ever were,

A henious lie. The majorituy of the Necrons don't give a damn about the Tyranids. They are mostly expanding their empires.

Stop posting. You are horrible.
>>
>>54237702
And they could let the Tyranids weaken themselves against the Imperium (which has happened with so many hivefleets being destroyed utterly) before killing off the weakened remainders of the Tyranids while staying at full health themselves. Same deal if the Imperium won, it would be in a sorry state that the Necrons could easily wipe off the map.

There is no need to become allies with the Imperium other than being shiny metallic Eldar.
>>
File: INTRUDER.png (2MB, 741x1074px) Image search: [Google]
INTRUDER.png
2MB, 741x1074px
>>54237747
Here is a message sent by the Sautekh to trespassing Imperials.
>>
File: We Rise.jpg (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
We Rise.jpg
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>54237634
The Pariahs are a nice touch I think. Just mad science experiments to pass the time for Crypteks. More of their mad science is necessary.
>>
>>54237865
That could have been written by an eldar or human and you'd know no difference. The Newcrons are so generic.
>>
>>54237752
but this isn't something that's happening on the whole, the blood angel example leaves both armies too wounded to fight on after defeating the nids, that's the only reason the blood angels still exist. Other than that there's very little else about necrons actually allying, they're merely fighting the common enemy they see as the biggest threat to their empire - the universe.

They're taking the fight to the nids to get it done with sooner, every year they live more and more planets are irredeemably destroyed.
>>
>>54237917
One the most extremely stupid things about the Newcron lore is the fixation about the Tyranids when they are not a direct threat to the Newcrons.

Chaos which should be the main enemy of the Necrons is hundred fold more threatening seeing as it can not only corrupt and consume all flesh but it can obliterate all space and time in the galaxy. The Tyranids will leave a husk where the Necron empires will continue in. Chaos will leave nothing.

And people defend this bad writing.
>>
>>54237917
Who cares if planets are destroyed and made barren? Necrons are fucking robots. They can live on barren worlds. They are also functionally immortal. If they want pretty flowers, they can simply terraform any barren planet.

There is no need for a "common enemy" type deal. All life is their enemy. There is no enemy of my enemy here. They literally don't need to ally with everyone.

Also, they aren't biological or even an appetising feast to the Tyranids. I don't know why suddenly the bugs are an issue to them when it was specifically mentioned in the Oldcron codex that Tyranids avoid Necron tombworlds like the plague.

The supposed Tyranids threat was just asspulled to give Necrons a reason to ally with humanity.
>>
>>54237865
To be fair that sounds almost exactly like a message the Eldar would send. Shit, it's nicer than some of the message the Tau have sent the Imperium.

Why are the Newcrons even sending messages? Why not do what they used to do and pop out from motherfucking nowhere and just gauss the niggers?
>>
File: Dinner with the Skellingtons.png (2MB, 800x1098px) Image search: [Google]
Dinner with the Skellingtons.png
2MB, 800x1098px
>>54237995
>Why are the Newcrons even sending messages? Why not do what they used to do and pop out from motherfucking nowhere and just gauss the niggers?

How did you miss the part where it says that their honor protocols compelled them to send this message?

Even the Maynarkh Dynasty went with the protocols by inviting the sector governor to dinner to deliver their warning/message.

Striking without warning gives no honour for the Necrons. It's part of their culture.
>>
>>54237981
Chaos is such a fucking non issue for necrons, they have null tech out the ass and only care about ruling realspace. They live on completely different planes of reality.
>>
File: Codes of Battle.png (46KB, 783x90px) Image search: [Google]
Codes of Battle.png
46KB, 783x90px
>>54238025
And here is the said Necron protocol in word form.
>>
>>54238028
>and only care about ruling realspace
If the Astronomican fails then the Warp and Materium will merge together into an eternal hellscape.
>>
>>54238055
I'm sure there's some Cryptek somewhere with a device that'll fix it.
>>
>>54238044
>only honorabru combat
Fucking retarded. Leave that shit to other factions.
>>
>>54238028
The Null matrices are not 100% Chaos proof and also the 5th ED Necron codex says that daemon love to invade Necron sub-dimensions. And also the Pylon Network had a catastrophic failure that split the galaxy in half. Sinking swathes of the galaxy forever into the Warp. This makes the Tyranids small time. When the Great Rift opened, Chaos killed more flesh than the Tyranids ever did since their arrival
>>
>>54238025
>>54238044
Why do unfeeling terminators created by uncaring gods to be instruments of destruction of the galaxy and its psychic races have a fucking culture of honour.

How batshit retarded is that. Not even Space Marines have that. Newcrons are now officially a nicer faction than the fucking Salamanders.
>>
>>54238028
The entire plan for the C'tan used to be to permanently seal off the warp from reality so the two would never interact. Chaos is a huge deal for the Oldcrons.
>>
>>54238140
>Chaos is a huge deal for the Oldcrons.
The entire plan for the C'tan used to be to permanently seal off the warp from reality so the two would never interact.
>>
>>54238121
>Newcrons are now officially a nicer faction than the fucking Salamanders.
Not all Dynasties are this nice.

One of the only Necrons give their enemies the full Rites of Battle is thatthat crazy Overlord who thinks he's still in the Wars of Session.
>>
>>54195698
Oldcrons were better fluff-wise. But they were also an NPC race, so I understand why necron players prefer the new ones. Most people wants to have some empathy towards their army dudes.
>>
>>54238182
The fact that one is, is more than enough.

It would be the same as if one Hivefleet decided to be nice to humanity, make pacts and alliances and have codes of honour. It would still be a huge shit on Tyranid lore.
>>
>>54200484
>>54200561
Then they're not newcrons or oldcrons, they're yourcrons. If you're just gonna ignore canon, you could say oldcrons also allow you to have exceptional army of necrons who behave like newcrons.
>>
>>54238172
I know, I said that.
>>
>>54238287
That doesn't actually make as little sense as you think.

A Hive Fleet is about survival and propagation, yes? Domestication is a time honored strategy for doing just that. Look at dogs for an example.
>>
>>54238877
It would go against the entirety of Tyranid lore since Tyranids its been firmly established that the main goal of every hivefleet has been to eat its way to success.

Also, I was not talking about domestication but about a code of honour and pacts and alliances.
>>
File: 1410657970608.png (590KB, 1343x265px) Image search: [Google]
1410657970608.png
590KB, 1343x265px
Reminder that everyone who cites sillyness is a dumb cunt that doesn't even read the lore.

There is one actually "silly" character and the rest are merciless lords who wipe out everything in their path.
>>
Nothing wrong with liking newcrons...that said I find them to be shit.
>>
>>54239042
While I disagree, I respect your opinion Anon. It is just as valid as my supporting Newcrons.
>>
>>54195698
>Anyone thinking a literal NPC robot race was good
Wow, I had no idea so many people had such shit taste.
>>
>>54238979
They are all fucking silly in their own way. One is wacky, the other are still more campy than Saturday morning cartoon villains.
>>
>>54238979
How do you find silly pieces of lore without reading the lore?
>>
>>54239142
So if I like Tyranids I got shit taste too? They are more of an NPC race than Oldcrons ever were.
>>
>>54234551
>talk like a 4chan boardie
>use Reddit spacing
>>
>>54239354
Why are folks on 4chan more obsessed with Reddit than folks on Reddit?
>>
>>54239354
What is reddit spacing?

It is proper formatting for text? Should everyone just have impenetrable walls of text?

>>talk like a 4chan boardie
>calling someone out
He's probably new, like we all were at a time. Give that Anon some time, he'll learn.
>>
>>54239994
>115 posters
>2 posts mention reddit
Clearly 4chan is obsessed.
>>
>>54229946
>The new C'tan shards? It's fucking DBZ. With Energy blasts and explosions everywhere. Instead of being silent and sinister, the C'tan shards roar and laugh with such volume that the planet they are on shakes.

That sounds awesome though
>>
>>54241751
For anime, sure, not for Necrons.
>>
>>54241838
Naw even for necrons
>>
>>54196674
Literally what the fuck were they thinking with this thing.
>>
>>54241838
>Ancient beings that can shake continents

That's awesome regardless of context.
>>
File: Necron part 1.png (441KB, 574x715px) Image search: [Google]
Necron part 1.png
441KB, 574x715px
>>54238979
Dude, we have lore about Necrons interecting with each other.

They are all silly toons.
>>
File: Necron 2.png (786KB, 380x1708px) Image search: [Google]
Necron 2.png
786KB, 380x1708px
>>54243314
>>
>>54243334
When you're wackier than Dark Eldar, there's a problem.
>>
Woot, 300th post!
>>
I think the best way games workshop could have implemented the new fluff is by introducing some kind of event or exposure that was responsible for returning some level of sentience/individuality back to the Necron. Like a degradation of control by the C'tan or only the most powerful or those with the strongest wills regained some husk of their past selves.

That way it could totally still be canon that some Necrons were still pissed off old fluff termies cursing the existence of life.
>>
>>54244598
That would have required at the very minimum having more than two brain cells to rub together. Do you honestly think Matt Ward and his fanboys have more than two between them all?
>>
File: necrons.jpg (212KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
necrons.jpg
212KB, 1400x1050px
When Necrons were at their best.
>>
File: Necrons.gif (404KB, 550x600px) Image search: [Google]
Necrons.gif
404KB, 550x600px
The amount of butthurt in this thread is hilarious. Cant believe your still this ass-blasted after all these years.
>>
>>54195698
Oldcrons. I loved them, I got into 40K for them, I had to get out then Newcrons appeared.
Thread posts: 306
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.